Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• v_dv_d Member Posts: 89
    ok the TSI is different from the 2.0T from the GTI... in the point that it`s supercharged AND turbocharged... the TFSI on the GTI is only turbocharged. So VW getsin this way 170 bhp from a 1.4 and that`s a lot I say...
    Comparation:
    1.4 TSI - 0-60mph -> 7.9s
    2.0 TFSI(GTI) - 0-60mph -> 7.2s
    not bad for a 1.4 ey?
    About the price... the 1.4TSI is about 2000 punds less than the GTI, so that`ll be around 3500-4000 Canadian dollars and 3000 US (if i`m right with the exchange rates).

ok the TSI is different from the 2.0T from the GTI... in the point that it`s supercharged AND turbocharged... the TFSI on the GTI is only turbocharged. So VW getsin this way 170 bhp from a 1.4 and that`s a lot I say...
    Compare:
    1.4 TSI - 0-60mph -> 7.9s
    2.0 TFSI(GTI) - 0-60mph -> 7.2s
    not bad for a 1.4 ey?
    About the price... the 1.4TSI is about 2000 pounds less than the GTI, so that`ll be around 3500-4000 Canadian dollars and 3000 US (if i`m right with the exchange rates).

ok what is interesting is that VW made a TDI 2.0L that makes 170hp and lots and lots of torque 258 lbs.ft (the TSI has just 177), the bad part? Well, it`s the same price as the GTI.

One more thing... if VW is ever going to bring the TSI over the Atlantic (although i dont think they will, cause Americans would rather buy a car that say V8 on it`s back than one that says 1.4TSI) is would definitely run on premium gas.
    >Since the Golf/Rabbit has been sold for 4 years now in Europe I'd hardly call it the "latest." Part of the problem with reliability lies with the NA dealer network and shoddy service, which lags European standards for VW.

The Golf has been sold in Europe for just 2 years.
    >>>Probably? The twincharger engine REQUIRES 98 Octane. I don't even know where 98 Octane is available.

However, the European measurement of Octane rating and USA measurement of Octane rating are two very different things. For example, the current BMW 330i with the N54 3.0-liter I-6 engine and 3-stage induction system has pretty much the same compression ratio for the European version and the US version, which means that engine can run using US-standard 91 pump Octane gasoline without engine knocking problems. This means the 1.4-liter TSI could probably be sold in the USA if VW does mandate the use of 91 pump Octane unleaded gasoline.

Yes. Moreover, and I hate to disagree with moparbad, this engine simply prefers high octane gas - it does not require it.

yeah and after 20k it will brake apart wouldn`t it? some engines are just NOT made for the american market and that`s it. For e.g.: the TDIs VW sells in Europe will not even run on american diesel, they will just crack. I had some experience with bad gas, when i was in europe i rented a car, and i put the cheapest gasoline on the pump(that`s what americans do, don`t they?), the car ran like an old beetle and it was really thirsty too. But when i put V-power Shell gasoline (which in europe has 98 or 99 octane with additives) the car ran GREEAAAAT.
    It's just a matter of fuel. :-)
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    e.g.: the TDIs VW sells in Europe will not even run on american diesel, they will just crack. :sick:

The Euro TDI engines run just fine on North American diesel. The emissions equipment after the engine will not function properly on a Euro spec. TDI.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    This means the 1.4-liter TSI could probably be sold in the USA if VW does mandate the use of 91 pump Octane unleaded gasoline.

One thing I've read is the upcoming Scirocco based on the upcoming Mk. VI Golf will use the 1.4 TSI engine for the US market, since the Scirocco buyers would be more likely to pay for the premium of the TSI engine. I wonder would VW seriously consider putting the 1.4 TSI in the New Beetle, though. :)
    you think so? Because from what i know North American diesel has more sulfur right? And i`m guessing sulfur is not good for the engine, therefore i guess they don't run in the exact same way.
    Another thing, did you hear a Jetta with the TDI and something like 50.000km on it? If you wouldn`t see it, you`d say it`s a truck. That doesn`t happen in Europe, you can drive the Jetta up to 200k with no major problems (and no 'trucklike' noise). Of course, Europeans have different driving style than we do in America, so maybe that`s a thing to think about too.
    Also you are right about the emissions eq., still they should try bring some new DIESELS HERE!!! That`ll pass the 07 emission standards, from what i know just Mercedes and Chrysler (with the same engine) said that they will sell a diesel powerplant in 07.

Regards.
    I wonder would VW seriously consider putting the 1.4 TSI in the New Beetle, though.

I don`t really think so, although they should - nothing is stopping them from doing so. As i said, the Rabbit with a 1.4 TSI would be just 3k under the GTI, and you`d probably buy the GTI anyway. So, the TSI for the Beetle? YEAH, BEETLE GTI :-D, i wish :)

btw my bad with the BAD post :confuse:

One more thing... does anybody know something about an upcoming VW? VW officials said something about a surprise that is supposed to come with fall, something even smaller than the Rab. The Fox(y) -aka Polo-? Thanks.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    One more thing... does anybody know something about an upcoming VW? VW officials said something about a surprise that is supposed to come with fall, something even smaller than the Rab. The Fox(y) -aka Polo-? Thanks.

The rumor mill going around is that Volkswagen will produce US-market versions of the Polo in Mexico for the US market to start selling fall 2007 as 2008 models. We will not likely get the Brazilian-made Fox, since that car is too small for American-sized passengers.
    And i`m guessing sulfur is not good for the engine, therefore i guess they don't run in the exact same way.

Sulfur acts as a lubricant in a diesel engine, it is actually good for the engine and the injection pump.

Sulfur acts as a lubricant in diesel, and by lowering the sulfur content there is a corresponding drop in the fuel's lubricity. This decrease in lubricating ability results in a minor decrease of energy content, about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced fuel economy. To achieve the sulfur requirements for the new fuel standards, diesel manufacturers include an additive to keep the fuel flowing smoothly, and to prevent engine damage. A relatively cheap lubricious additive is biodiesel.

ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D-975 diesel fuels.
    can someone put some pics of the rabbit other than the ones from vw.com and vw.ca
    THX! :D
    thx... btw... the beige int is really nice :lemon: do you knw which colors are available with the beige int?
  • gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    My wife and I went out test Driving this past weekend. Tried out the Rabbit, Mini, and Mazda 3 (all manual stick)

The Rabbit had a nice feel, much like the Golf TDIs I drove in Germany. Steering was tight, acceleration is good. The car is very quiet on highway at 85mph. I would say the same if not better than my Infiniti G35 Coupe (which has that muffler hum). The options list is awesome. Price good. Safety top notch. Gas Mileage? I was really hung up on this with the Rabbit until I went and compared the overall expense of owning by using Edmunds' graphs.

The Mini Cooper is a capital F in FUN. A spiffy sporty little Mr. Bean of a car. Fun to look at, sit in, and drive. It doesn't have the pick-up of the rabbit being only 116hp but would be a-okay with my needs. I am 235lbs in body weight and my wife is 145 -- we had no problem accelerating up to highway speeds from the merge lane. It is not as quiet as the Rabbit is at 85mph but has a little more of the rally experience to it. The only downer is lack of space. While it does have a roomy interior it just doesn't have the storage room one ideally needs. The trunk is only sufficient for one upright med/large size suitcase. My wife can't get past the size factor with the current behemoth SUVs which polute the roadways. We drove the Cooper, Cooper-S, and Cooper Convertible. The options on these cars is amazing. Customizable until the cows come home. A bit of a price tag, especially if you start with the S or convertible bases.

Mazda3. We own a protege5 so are a bit biased towards the 3. It is in essence a protege5 with more power and an unbelievably ugly center console. It handles fine and is pretty quiet but doesn't have nearly the tight feel of the rabbit. Gas mileage? Yes better but overtime I don't know. VWs are cheap to own and have high resale value. I would buy a Mazda3 to replace our Protege5 but I do not want to own both at the same time.

As mentioned I hit Edmunds and used their real world numbers charts. For example my g35 coupe comes in at costing .79 per mile. Pretty darned high on the scale while the Passat (2.5 motor used in place of Rabbit) comes in at only .55 per mile and the Mini at .60. This was a surprise because the Mini Cooper rated at some 7-10mpg better than the Rabbit. These numbers may be null and void and not apply to me because my auto insurance provider is excellent with rates but I'm trying to do my best and get over the Rabbit's disappointing mpg numbers. I guess in worse case I trade it in for something else come two years time.
  • pontiacgtppontiacgtp Member Posts: 15
    This article confirms that VW will offer a 2.0 liter TDi in the Rabbit for the 2008 model year (hopefully with 50 states legal): link title
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview 18-25 year olds on what type of car they are looking to purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Thursday, August 24, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • altis_86altis_86 Member Posts: 1
    im a corolla dude, looking for a hatch for my wife.
    thinking of several cars like matrix, mazda3, and rabbit.
    but with the release of rabbit, im more inclined to it.
    however, how would i know or distinguish if its made in germany or mexico?
    From what I understand all of the Rabbits to date are coming from Germany. And to back that up if you read the vin number through the windshield it reads WVW... I believe this to mean "Wolfsburgs Volkswagen".

-A
    Karen, Sadly I'm not in that age range anymore. :)

-A
  • ben911ben911 Member Posts: 12
    with a 2007 Rabbit was both good and bad. As soon as I started the car, the airbag light turned on. First time behind the wheel of a VW, and there's an electrical glitch. NOT GOOD!

We take it out for a spin anyways, and the car drives like a dream. I'm used to a 2001 Mazda pick-up, so I'm sure anything would feel like an improvement.

I pull it back into the dealership, and ask where the AUX input is, and he opens the glovebox and says that they can install one if I wanted one. The sticker stated that this was a "2007" and I thought the AUX inputs were supposed to be standard on these cars... what gives?

Any ideas?
    Ben
  • sagegsageg Member Posts: 5
    When I asked, my dealer said that there is an Aux. input but he thinks it's located on the back of the radio. He said you have to pull out the radio, plug in your ipod cable and run it through the cut out in the glove box. He said he would do it without charge.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    On the 2007 Rabbit, the AUX input should be visible in the glovebox. If not, something is wrong. Is it really a 2007? Personally, I'd walk away and wait until the Aux. input is in the car as OEM equipment. I don't want a dealer ripping out the radio to put in an Aux input.
    Inside the glove box of my 2007 is a circular black plastic opening that opens or closes with a twist. It looks like it should be the Auxiliary input However nothing is connected to it. When you open it, you see the back of the glove box..... seems really stupid. Maybe an auxiliary input was supposed to be connected to it but didn't make it into the earliest 2007 production vehicles. Mine was the 1st and only 2007 sold (several 2006's were sold) by the dealership so far and they don't seem to know much about it.
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    I think that is to open and close the air intake into the glove compartment. I think I saw something about it in the manual that came with my Rabbit. Mine is a 2006 and I had to pay to for the ipod adapter $150 and $200 to instal. They had to pull out my radio to do it. Have not seen any 2007, but sure would want to find out if it is standard equipment.
    If I hit the CD button on my player twice the display says "ext AUX IN" So it should have one, I just can't find it.
    According to the window sticker, it was a "2007." My sales guy barely spoke any English. The input was NOT there.

Who knows,
    Ben
    It's funny to hear people complain about the reliability of VW's naturally aspirated engines, but those same people think a supercharged AND turbocharged 1.4 liter engine would solve their ills. Come on. That thing will be a maintenance nightmare. Keep it simple.

Ben
    >>My sales guy barely spoke any English.

This still amazes me...

To add substance to this thread my wife and I test drove 2007's two and four door. Neither had the AUX iPod jack.
    I'm currently talking to two VW dealers here in SF Bay area (well, north and east bay) It appears that very very few Rabbits are arriving "fully-loaded" which is odd to me considering the sticker price. One can afford to load this little guy up.

On a side note I am very disappointed with dealer response. I sent five dealers specs on the car we want to BUY and only two have gotten back to us. It's been three days. I had thought they would have pounced.

-Andy

PS... if anyone can recommend a VW dealer in the SF Bay area it would be much appreciated. I'm in contact with Sonnen in Marin and Jenson in Napa currently.
  • havamomhavamom Member Posts: 1
    Had a test drive & orientation to the 2007 Rabbit yesterday. The salesperson made a point of showing us the air conditioner outlet in the glove box - especially handy for chocolate bars, lipsticks, but more importantly for medications. The glove box is also insulated, so with the air outlet turned on, it will maintain about 52 degrees.
    We loved the car (first car was a 79 Rabbit GTI), and have placed order even though have to wait for 2-3 months to come off the production line in Germany! Good thing I've got a trusty Jetta to see me though til then...2003 with 20,300 km!
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    If you want a fully loaded Rabbit... you should really, REALLY look at the new 4-door GTI's coming out.

More power, better fuel economy, sport suspension, and more of the Rabbit's 'options' as standard features.

Besides, the 2.0L turbo engine pulls like a draft-horse on speed.

:surprise:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    How funny, I live near Sonnen! They are a top-notch dealership, but I have been keeping a loose eye on their Rabbit stock, and they never have many. I guess since the new Rabbit is a low-profit car for dealers, they aren't stocking many? Sonnen also sells Audi, much more profitable.

You could check out Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek - they always have a large stock of the less expensive models. If you are willing to drive a little further, that is.

And by the way, I "built" an '07 Rabbit on the VW.com website, and the aux input for MP3/ipod and whatnot isn't standard, it is listed as a $199 option.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    Our extended family owns an old farmhouse, there are a lot of old cars including old caddies and lincolns. Among all of these cars is either a '76 or '77 dasher. When i went to look for images i couldnt even find any on google or ask.com. Why is this car so hard to research!!!??? PLEASE HELP
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    My mom had a dasher and then a quantum back in the day. Both ran flawlessly. Good times.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Dasher
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    My Brother, R.A.Ketchledge was a long time exec with VWoA and actually named the "Quantum", wanting a hi-tech 'science' feel for the car.
    He stayed with VWoA until the 80's and the release of the first US GTI, and he also ran the Westmorland factory for a time, before leaving to head up Sterling.

He was with VWoA from the early 60's so I grew up as he brought home newer type 1,2,3,4's and more. It was fun to pick out the yearly changes! I myself had a 1983 GTI and loved that car. I also autocrossed it in SCCA Solo.
  • bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    Hey, I kind of ran into the same problems you have.
    I sent out a few request's for dealers in the bay area, and maybe a week later, got a response.
    I just started going to bayareavolkswagen.com , they list all the dealers current stock, and it is updated VERY quickly.
    I found my 2 door manual at Dirritto bros, in WC, went the next day and bought it.
    Good overall experience...although the first salesman I talked to before the 2 doors arrived, never called when they got the 2 doors in...so I bought it from a different salesman.
    Thanks bpeachee1,

My experiences with the Bay Area VW dealers was nothing but atrociously disappointing. I "was" in the market for a fully loaded 4 door and could not find one. Actually spoke with a somewhat competent young guy from Sonnen in Marin who searched the future shipments for me. Evidently VW is not putting together fully loaded cars and the mass majority that are coming over the pond are bare bones. Sad considering how much of a deal the commercials make about the options.

I'm going to hold out to see what the 2008 TDIs are like and how these Rabbits are with service. If I even go with VW at all.

TDIs were an awesome option in Germany but one still had to deal with the diesel car tax and see if any money would actually be saved. However, now that diesel gas is no longer the cheapest choice of gas the point of owning a TDI isn't clear to me other than paying my fair share more to clean up the air only infinitesimally.

The diesel I see available here in the bay area is more expensive than premium and will most likely become even more so once the sulfur free stuff hits the market. Keeping this in mind I would venture to say the new TDIs may be marked up so high as to render owning one and saving money pointless -- as is the current situation with hybrids.

-A
    Apprciate it, I'll take a look at them.

-A
    ok first of all... a 2.0TDI (if it's ever gonna come) will eat less diesel than any 2.0 gas out there... so don`t say you won`t be saving cash... and secondly.. u`ll help cleaning the environment in more than one way: 1. less fuel for you; 2. less emissions...

Diesels are the way to go... and yes... the small 1.4TFSI in Europe is also great...
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    I am interested also in a VW 2008 TDI 4 door is they are going to make it. I was wondering if anyone knows if the new TDI engine now in the Jetta TDI and the new 2.0 coming out for the Rabbit, has a timing belt or timing chain??? Does anyone has this knowledge???? The old TDI's had belts and needed to be changed at 55K, not ideal. The new 2.5 5 cylinder gas engine has a timing chain, never needing replacement.

All other factores being about equal, this could sway me one way or the other.

Somebody??

abfisch
    There was never a 55,000 mile interval.

1999-Current TDI's can all use a 80,000 or 100,000 mile timing belt interval.
    It is correct that the timing belt interval was as low as 60,000 miles on pre-2003 TDI models, however, the belt and tensioner were improved and at the first change the new style belt and tensioner allow either a 80,000 or 100,000 mile interval depending on the year and engine type.
    Diesel engines are expected to return to the VW lineup sometime between 4th quarter of 2007 and mid-year of 2008 as 2008 models.
  • smt2smt2 Member Posts: 1
    It looks like a sunroof is not available on a 2 door Rabbit. Does anyone know if that will change in the future? It doesn't seem in keeping with VW tradition to not have a sunroof available on it's base model, although other manufacturer's have gone that way. :(
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    Check out this incorrect picture of a Rabbit.

This article is supposed to be about the new Rabbit but instead they show a picture of the previous generation. Just lazyness?

The Bunny Returns
    http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_2847.php
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    The article is about the GTI, not the Rabbit. But, yes, it is the wrong image.
  • chewymchewym Member Posts: 5
    That is probably right on the money. VW will introduce its new generation of TDIs with common rail (and probably 2,000 bar injection pressure) sometime next year in Europe. I am sure that VW will want them to be 50 state so it would take some time to get here. 2008 Model Year is what has been rumored. BTW, those diesels will be very nice, the current PDs make up to 170 hp and 253 pound feet of torque out of 2 liters. The common rail ones will only get better.
    nippononly

The ipod connector option is different from the AUX input jack. The AUX input is standard, the ipod connector is an option.

Ben
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    How would you compare the Fit to the Rabbit. They're both about the same size. The Rabbit is quicker, but costs about $5K more with the same options. Plus Honda reliability is better than VW. I just don't know if it's worth the extra money for "german engineering" especially when on Dodge commercials they advertise "german engineering" too, and I'm not too impressed with Dodge.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Don't forget about much lower gas mileage...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Rabbit is a much bigger/heavier car than the Fit. If you've driven both the Fit and Rabbit, you know that the Rabbit has the feel of a much more expensive car, both in driving and the interior, while the Fit feels like an econobox, although a quality one. The Fit has the magic seats and better fuel economy, but the Rabbit is quite roomy and has a lot more power and torque.

And it's not a $5k difference. The Rabbit starts at $15.6k including destination, very well equipped. The base Fit is about $1000 less, but with considerably less equipment.

Honda's overall reliability is better than VWs, but consider the Rabbit is built in Germany, while many other U.S. VWs come from outside Germany. The Fit is a five-year-old design so it should be very reliable. The Rabbit/Golf has been sold in Europe for a couple of years now in its current form, so it does have some track record.

Don't confuse Dodge's advertising re "German engineering" with reality. I wonder how much of the Caliber, for example, is really the result of "German engineering."
    From the VW webpage for a Rabbit 4 dr to compare to the Fit 4dr:
    3173 lbs
    Base MSRP†: $ 16,990
    Destination Fee: $ 630
    Rear Side Impact Airbags $ 350
    Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/Tiptronic® $ 1,075
    Total MSRP: $ 19,045

Fit 2551 lbs
    My 2007
    Fit Sport Automatic Transmission
    Base MSRP*: $15,970
    Destination & Handling: $595
    MSRP including selected accessories: $16,565

I was wrong...not $5000 difference, but $2500 difference for comparably equiped vehicles. But after doing a "compare vehicles" on cars.com, there are quite a few added features on the Rabbit. It's 600lbs heavier, so that's probably why the mpg is so low. It's just hard for me to swallow driving a vehicle the size of a Rabbit and not getting 30+ mpg consistently, but if that doesn't bother you then the Rabbit isn't too bad.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    These are NOT comparably equipped cars. First, why add the rear side airbags to the Rabbit when they aren't even available on the Fit? Second, the Rabbit is much better equipped than the Fit Sport. The 5-door Rabbit has standard features such traction control, power driver's seat with height adjustment, heated driver's and passenger's seats, adjustable lumbar support on driver's and passenger's seats, heated mirrors, telescopic steering wheel, floor mats, 6-speed Tiptronic automatic, and 10-speaker audio with CD changer. Plus a much more luxurious interior. So you get a lot of additional features for the $2100 price difference. And it's less of a difference if you go with the MT models, since VW charges more for the 6-speed Tiptronic than Honda charges for the 5-speed autoshifter in the Fit.

Or as I noted earlier, go with the 3-door Rabbit and it's only about $1000 difference compared to the base Fit, and actually less than the Fit Sport.

I do want higher fuel economy than what the Rabbit can offer, but I appreciate the package the Rabbit delivers for the money, especially in 3-door form. But I don't consider the Fit the closest thing to the Rabbit 5-door. That would be the Mazda3s.
    The Fit comes with standard side curtain airbags that protect the rear passengers(http://automobiles.honda.com/models/safety_overview.asp?ModelName=Fit- ), so that's why I added them to the Rabbit and why it's $2500 difference. Yes the Rabbit has the Tiptronic and the Fit has the steering wheel paddle shifters. So if the other things you mentioned (traction control, power driver's seat with height adjustment, heated driver's and passenger's seats, adjustable lumbar support on driver's and passenger's seats, heated mirrors, telescopic steering wheel, floor mats) are worth $2500 then okay.

If you look at both base models, it's $1100 difference and that's without the curtain airbags on the Rabbit.
This discussion has been closed.