Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Rabbit

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Octane.

VW will probably have to slightly lower the compression to around 9.7:1 to accommodate US-market 87 pump octane
    Probably? The twincharger engine REQUIRES 98 Octane. I don't even know where 98 Octane is available.
  • thumper4thumper4 Member Posts: 2
    The Rabbit is great! Got it for a great deal, compared to other competitors out there, Honda and Toyota. Came with all the extras as standard. Added was a sunroof and alloy wheels. It is designed very well, inside and out, very clean, uncomplicated...easy to use car. They did a really nice job with this. I am a very happy customer, the first one in MA to drive one off the lot. I got it in Norwood, MA at the automile.

Ryan
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    Congrats to you on your new Rabbit :D I can't wait to get one and maybe be first in my neighborhood :D I just got a quote of $20,920 for a loaded 4 door with sunroof, alloy wheels and ESP...that is on its way to the dealer. That is the MSRP. I understand there is not a lot of mark up from Invoice on the Rabbit so I am thinking will have to pay full MSRP. What is your experience with pricing??
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Americans can be really silly about paying for premium, particularly now that the 20c differential is a dramatically smaller percentage of fuel costs.

If Car and Driver is to be believed, that 1.4L twincharger got 29 mpg city/46 mpg highway and produced 170 hp and 170 ft-lbs.

Sign me up, please!
  • thumper4thumper4 Member Posts: 2
    That's right, there wasn't alot of markup. I got them to go down on the price about $500. That's it! The rest of my negotiation skills were on what I could get for my car. I've been riding it for a few days now, it handles really well, quiet, and has quite the pep from my elantra. It was sold as a 2006, not a 2007 for those interested in the year. You're gonna love it!
  • parkerjonparkerjon Member Posts: 14
    I was considering buying the Rabbit I am getting next week (rather than leasing as I have done with every VW but one - 9 total) but the one thing that troubled me was having a car longer than the warranty period. All the problems I have ever had with the car were covered under the warranty : even a clutch. To assist with such a buy/lease decision a more relevant survey would be the average maintenance $'s/year for each year (and perhaps total shop time). I would be cool to compare the curve for each manufacturer (I assume this relationship is not linear).

All cars have problems.

Another thing that isn't measured in most surveys is the desire to retain the car as it gets older - whether that be due to maintenance problems or just normal deterioration of the suspension, drive train, exterior and interior. For example: in 2001 we got a V6 Passat Wagon - but when the lease was up (100,000 KM's later) the suspension was loose and it felt sluggish. Now the sluggishness was likely due to the 2.0T Jetta we got last fall. Regardless, the mystique the car had at day one will diminish. I guess the only way to measure this would be turnover of ownership. Chrysler Neon anyone?

I do get sad whenever we turn in a leased car: no car more so than the 1.8T Silver Beetle we had. That car had some serious electrical problems that would cause the engine to cut out (loose connection as it turned out) - but I loved driving it.

Jonathan

BTW: Just got a call - my Rabbit is on the truck.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    A very class act, the 2 door. Very similar to the last generation; but at the same time improvements abound. The rear trunk area might be a little smaller, but not much (due to the move to independent rear suspension). Unlike the Jetta, the dashboard looks more familiar, more like the prior generation.

The new "console" area is well designed, finally with usable cupholders. (But no arm rest on the 2 door.)

No more "tilt up" seats for back seat access. The new "slide forward" seats actually work just fine, but if you don't want to have to reset the track position you need to shove the seat back BEFORE you return the seat back to its upright position.

This is a killer car at $15k with all the safety gear and VERY torquey standard engine (base on my test drives of the Jetta and New Beetle with this engine).

The dealer started up the one I was looking at (over my objections) and there was no "rattle" as reported on early 2.5 Jettas.

Ergonomics SEEM the same as the Mark IV - the center console DOES intrude more than many into the leg space - BUT the rear seat room is definitely improved.

This had me salivating, planning on how to upgrade my '06 Cobalt commuter car into this luxo, yet sporty, mobile.

Badges on the back are as understated as can be - no "Rabbit" name, just the hare logo and the 2.5.
  • vwv230vwv230 Member Posts: 1
    What is Volkswagen thinking? First of all, the Rabbit (it's a Golf - who are they kidding)is 2 to 3 years late to the market. Now, when they finally bring out the new model they miss the mark and then they wonder why they are losing U.S. market share. The $14,900 Rabbit is a 2 door. The car people want to buy, the 4 door, is $16,900 -overpriced. The automatic gets 30 mpg on the highway. A Toyota Camry gets 33 mpg for God sake. Oh yah, the Civic gets 40 mpg and the Corolla gets 41 mpg. VW is not offering the diesel, people would actually want that car. Good Luck VW, you have lost me.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    I guess that driving the car isn't necessary prior to condemning it? :)

It's a nice drive for the price...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the 2-door and the 4-door are only a few hundred dollars apart in Canada? How come the 4-door is so much more expensive here in the U.S.? Or is it that they slapped a bargain basement price on the 2-door?

Try driving a Yaris hatch loaded up with power package and all, back to back with a 2-door base Rabbit, for the same price. Oh, what a world of difference in just about every aspect of the car and the drive. The only advantage the Yaris would have in equipment is the alloy wheels, and you would be very lucky to find one Toyota had built with the side curtain airbags. The Golf would be the better buy IMO, but for the terrible fuel economy. There aren't a lot of 2-door hatches to compete with the Golf, except for a couple of the subcompacts like the Accent and the Yaris.

Now, as for 4-door hatchbacks, the Golf makes a decent proposition at $17K, but there are some pretty good alternatives.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• clownfishfunkclownfishfunk Member Posts: 7
    I don't think the 4door is overpriced at all. There are few hatchbacks that are cheaper at the 4 door price. There is the Fit, which is very cheap but practically unavailable to test drive at the dealers (at least locally), and the Matrix, which I did test drive, but the seating position was awkward and it was really slow to get up to speed - really not very peppy - but otherwise all right. Considering that is only about 1000 less than the rabbit, which had multiple seating and steering wheel positions, and much nicer and more fun to drive, the Rabbit won without question. All of the other cars you mention don't come in hatchback form, which is more important to me than gas mileage.

Also, I don't think they are trying to kid anyone into thinking the rabbit is different than the golf, as when I went to look at the rabbit, they were very straightforward about it being the new Golf, just with a new name.

Obviously, the Rabbit isn't right for you, but that doesn't mean its not a good fit for many others.
  • calvineboxcalvinebox Member Posts: 4
    If you think Toyota and Honda are much better cars than VW, you should just go ahead and buy it as long as it makes you feel good. I often see people driving at night with just a pair of tiny yellow lights on. What for? Maybe saving gas... The most efficient car will be the car sit in the garage all the time but you will definitely miss the fun of driving. Driving experience is not just about gasoline price and the perfunctory smile you get from your dealer. Pls test drive a Rabbit before you turn against it totally and everybody pls DON'T compare it with Yaris or Fit. :D
  • commoduscommodus Member Posts: 4
    Apparently VW is cutting Rabbit (and Jetta) pricing in the US to compete as a volume car maker:

LeftLane News article

Does that sound right? I hope it's true, and that it carries over to Canadian pricing as well. I'm seriously thinking about my first new car and I'd hate to rule out the Rabbit due to pricing. Here in Canada I could get a nicely-equipped 5-door Yaris LE hatchback for less than the starting price of a Rabbit. If VW could price the base Rabbit at a similar level without sacrificing too many extras, they might make me change my mind!
    the base Rabbit is ALREADY $14,995 + destination = $15,605, the figure quoted in the article.

It is welcome news that VW is bringing the price of the Jetta down from the stratosphere. I guess the move upmarket didn't quite work out as they wanted.

This pair is pulling the fuel economy of V-6 full-size sedans from competing brands, not to mention being exceeded by VW's own 2.0T. That's not good news in these times of high gas prices. Maybe the price cut will help convince more people to ignore that fact.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I'm 6'-1" tall and I couldn't fit into either the Fit or the Civic. I didn't look at the Yaris. Mazda 3: too much Ford not enough German (and was surprised at the lease rates: $475 CDN/month for a similar car to the Rabbit. Matrix: didn't like the ride position.

Another factor is interest rates (for most) and the Honda's are at 8% - along with the residual if you are leasing. I am getting a fully loaded 4dr tomorrow for $400 CDN (including taxes) per month (48 month/100,000 KM VCI lease) - total up front is $450 CDN.

CDN$ Price breakdown:
    Base - 20,990
    Convenience package - 605 (upgraded radio, etc)
    16" Alloys - 565
    Power Sunroof - 1400
    ESP - 450
    Rear Side Airbags - 450
    PDI - 495

Total: 24,955.00

For $400 CDN/month I believe I got a lot of car.

Jonathan
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    If we look at a the pricing a 4-door rabbit with auto is about 18K, loaded about 20K. I see the issue being that you can get a low end Camcord or a V6 Sonata at that price. That's VW's hurdle. I hope the Rabbit, since it's a hatch can differentiate itself from the crowd to move some cars.
    The Jetta price is lower. The Rabbit price is lower compared to the MkIV Golf. Pricing of the Rabbit is unchanged from when it was announced.
    The "news" article has a confusing title.
    that IRS while it lasts - VW has already stated it is going back to a torsion beam rear for the next gen (in two years) to save money and reduce costs...

Addendum to my earlier posting: It's quiet and very stable at 140 KM/H (80 MPH) @ 3000 RPM in 5th (manual).

Most of the engine noise is below 60 KM/H when accelerating briskly. (> 3000 RPM)

I miss a leather steering wheel: maybe I can get a Jetta one installed.
    to save money and reduce costs

LOL! My side aches!
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Probably? The twincharger engine REQUIRES 98 Octane. I don't even know where 98 Octane is available.

However, the European measurement of Octane rating and USA measurement of Octane rating are two very different things. For example, the current BMW 330i with the N54 3.0-liter I-6 engine and 3-stage induction system has pretty much the same compression ratio for the European version and the US version, which means that engine can run using US-standard 91 pump Octane gasoline without engine knocking problems. This means the 1.4-liter TSI could probably be sold in the USA if VW does mandate the use of 91 pump Octane unleaded gasoline.
  • careyscottcareyscott Member Posts: 2
    VW's return to the entry level platform will probably be the Fox made in Brazil. Canadian review link posted here talks about the August announcement. No indication of what the Canadian model will be like. Fox like the New Swift is not likely to make it to the US until 2010. Based on build I think VW might shake things up and under cut both of the 3-door entry level hatches (Fox is only available as a 3-door in Europe) made by Toyota (Yaris) and Hyundai (Accent) which have been up-scaled (and priced from their predecessors)and chase the obviously large market that snapped up the Echo in Canada. If VW is smart they will introduce it at under 13 grand Canadian. Entry level sub-compact will be a competitiive market in 2007 for Canadian car buyers which hopefully lead to better deals.
  • koolkinkajoukoolkinkajou Member Posts: 15
    If I call correctly, the change over is sometime in October where 100% of the fuel will have to be the low sulfur. I think that the current fuel will damage the low sulfur cars. The engine is different and the reduction of pollution is much greater than just taking a old diesel car and putting in the low sulfur fuel.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Replying to: moparbad (Jun 15, 2006 11:57 am)

However, the European measurement of Octane rating and USA measurement of Octane rating are two very different things. For example, the current BMW 330i with the N54 3.0-liter I-6 engine and 3-stage induction system has pretty much the same compression ratio for the European version and the US version, which means that engine can run using US-standard 91 pump Octane gasoline without engine knocking problems. This means the 1.4-liter TSI could probably be sold in the USA if VW does mandate the use of 91 pump Octane unleaded gasoline.

Yes. Moreover, and I hate to disagree with moparbad, this engine simply prefers high octane gas - it does not require it.

Anstelle von bleifreiem Super Plus ist auch ein Betrieb mit bleifreiem Superbenzin (mind. 95 ROZ) bei Inkaufnahme von Fahrleistungs- und Verbrauchsnachteilen möglich.
  • susie3susie3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone who is getting the "New" Rabbit had an "old" Rabbit? I had a 77,80 (2),81 and a 89 conv. They all had a lot of room and were very reliable. All were sticks. And you can't compare a VW to a Honda or a Toyota, I really think the VW is a far superior product, better built not that "tinny" sound when you shut the door. Then again you get what you pay for. I have always found that in the 30 yrs. of owning VW's that they have been most reliable I have never been afraid to take a car with 100 thousand plus miles on a cross country trip.
  • scrdnscrdn Member Posts: 8
    I had a 78 Rabbit which ranks as my #2 worst POS, behind my Volvo 264. I'll probably wait a year for VW to work the bugs out before seriously considering the Rabbit again
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    I remember when VW Dealerships gouged on those new, and trendy New Beetles, too, only to have to discount them heavily within 18 months to move them from lots.

I like the new Rabbit. But VW has a huge wall of suspicion in terms of reliability and dealership service/quality to overcome if the Rabbit is to have long term staying power as a sales success.

I also think that the fact that its fuel economy is no better than a 3,500 pound mid-sized VW Passat should be a real embarrassment to VW engineers.

There simply is no excuse for not achieving higher fuel economy with an entry level compact car in an era of high gasoline prices.

One last thing - Very few $15,000 Rabbits seem to be making it to dealership lots. If VW thinks people are going to pay $19,000 for an entry level compact car, they'd better think again, but harder the 2nd time.

My humble advice? Don't "hop" to buy a Rabbit. Patience may be richly rewarded.
    Can you give a quantitative answer to your statement "But VW has a huge wall of suspicion in terms of reliability" to explain the difference in reliability of a VW compared to Honda or Nissan?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I also think that the fact that its fuel economy is no better than a 3,500 pound mid-sized VW Passat should be a real embarrassment to VW engineers.

It is a 3200 pound car. It uses regular gas and is not a turbo. The Jetta has had real world test of gas mileage by Consumer Reports, mileage was comparable to other cars of similar weight.

CR test measured 17/33/24 mpg (city/hwy/ mixed) for the 2.5 engine in ~3300# Jetta.

For comparison, the 4 cyl 2005 Camry, weighing about the same, 16/34/24 mpg. 2005 4 cyl Altima,also about the same weight, 16/30/23 mpg. Most recent 4 cyl Accord review I could find in CR was from 2003, measured 16/38/24 mpg (weight about 150# less than Jetta).
    Open and slam shut the door of a Rabbit and then do the same with a Civic. :D
  • joedirtjoedirt Member Posts: 36
    That proves my point.

Why even design a 3,200 pound compact car that gets comparable mileage to the same company's mid-sized car?

Why even design a 3,200 pound compact car at all?

A better match would have been a sub 3000 pound car with a Honda-esque fuel effiency model engine.

Like the Civic.

If you claim the Civic isn't large enough, or heavy enough, you've conceded the point.
  • zuma4zuma4 Member Posts: 11
    Any1 saw the rabbit commercial? prbably the coolest car commercial that I've ever seen. VW makes good commercials. very realistic like the Jetta crash commercials.

Man I've been waiting for my Rabbit for about 2 weeks now. the dealer said the rabbit that im looking for is on the way here from Wolfsburg, Germany.

Hey at least it is a German made!!! late version will be coming from Brazil and Mexico.

so many features and standards that previous golf never had!!!
  • zuma4zuma4 Member Posts: 11
    Our family friend is a dealer for VW and he literally showed me the inventory list of some modified,some fully loaded rabbits ranging from $16k-$19k.

Believe or not they are all sold out and most of those rabbits are all coming from Wolfsburg Germany. That means people already placed their reservations months before the launching date last month.

I think VW doesen't have to be reasonable to put a $19k price tag for a hatchback like rabbit. Just look at the improvements they made and new standard features they added. You will get your money worth!!

I, myself always check the specs of this car everytime I visited the dealeship. so much improvements. i also look at it's competitors but i always end up with buying a rabbit.

Keep in mind, when VW launch the Golf/Rabbit MK V in 2003, it was a huge hit in Europe and eventually won the "Car of The Year Award"

I just can't wait of getting mine.
    I saw watching a program on the History Channel about the German Autobahn. There are no speed limits on much of this highway. It was mentioned that the cars that used it where build for speed and safety. It was also mentioned that there are fewer accidents on this highway then our freeway system. My point is that this perhaps helps to explain why VW builds safer and faster and fun to drive autos. :D
    Here's another statistic I would like to see: why vehicles are taken off the road. Here's a sample of information to collect:

1. High-speed/low-speed accident
    2. Shame related to rusting (where's my little Pony)
    3. Engine fell out
    4. Old age (15 years or older)
    5. Parts/labour too expensive
    6. Uninsurable
    7. Car wouldn't stop (ended up in the lake)
    8. Spontaneous combustion (or non-spontaneous)
    9. Natural disaster (insert favourite deity here)
    10. Fuel too expensive

The results would be interesting: as it would also speak of the type of person who bought the car and how they drove it. I am not sure I'd want to buy a car that I had driven for four years. (especially not my first VW: a G60 Corrado)

Jonathan
  • lilly0lilly0 Member Posts: 2
    i recently purchased a 4-door auto black with options, and paid $21,700 out the door.
  • jwodaejwodae Member Posts: 11
    Are the Rabbits made in Mexico or Germany? Are there any differences in price or quality due to country? Thanks...
  • bpeachee1bpeachee1 Member Posts: 19
    Right now they are all made in Wolfsburg Germany, but there are rumors going around that later on they will be built in Mexico or Brazil. (if that is true who knows)?
    Since this is my first VW, I cant compare the quality to Mexico built models, but can only say that fit/finish etc. is top notch.
    Personally, that was a selling point for me having the car made in Germany.
    Personally, that was a selling point for me having the car made in Germany.

Why?
    Although I havnt owned a Mexico built VW, I have heard lots of horror stories about quality isssues from the Mexico plant.
    These may well have been early builds, and taken care of by now...
    A German car, built in Germany.... just has a better ring to it.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    Re: "A German car, built in Germany.... just has a better ring to it."

WHERE a car is made has nothing to do with quality. The Rabbits built in Pennsylvania were generally considered to be very poor quality. The Golfs (including my own '96) built in Mexico were generally very good. What is important is the quality and training of the employees, commitment of management and quality of componenet suppliers.
  • amit3amit3 Member Posts: 5
    Its just the racist attitude that only white Germans are capable of producing quality cars and Mexicans are some how incapable of the same due somehow to their culture or inferior intellect. I can't believe people still think "German" built cars have some sort of quality edge. If at all, its the exact opposite.
  • phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    The other poster's comment isn't about racism. Generally speaking, vehicles assembled in countries with a low or lesser degree of industrialization tend to be of worse quality. VW outsourced work of the Rabbit and other lower-end models to Mexico in order to save money. The money saved often translates to corners cut in production or poorer employee training and supervision. In addition to that, they are also not paid as well (though in their country, that pay may be very good) which may lead to lackluster workforce morale. However, if Mexico had the resources other countries had available they would be able to produce more comparable goods. So in the end it's not a question of race but a question of allocated resources.
    Do you have any factual basis for all of these opinions? I do think it is a subtle "racism" (I think that really isn't the right word, as german and mexican are not "races").

My own idle speculation would be the Mexican workers are probably happy to have these good jobs. Who knows, maybe the Germans (and immigrant guest workers in Germany) have poor morale because VW would like to cut their pay or benefits or send their jobs elsewhere.

Why would they need to cut corners at the Mexican plant, because they save money on labor costs? That makes absolutely no sense. If anything, that seems more likely to be something that would be done at the German plant to offset the high labor costs.

How much of the assembly process is automated anyway? Do you think the machines care if they are in Germany or Mexico?

The only significant problem so far with our, assembled in Mexico, Jetta was with the transmission...which is from Japan.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    When VW first started producing the Golf and Jetta in Mexico there were many quality issues. In the early 2000's they turned it around and now Mexico meets or exceeds the quality of US workers. There is a Businessweek article that I read a few years ago regarding this, you should be able to Google it..

I think it is a perception issue. People who buy VW think that they are purchasing a German made automobile. It really should not matter where the car is produced as long as it is produced with the same standards and quality from the German factory.

I am definitely not a racist, but I'll admit I was surprised when I learned that my 99 Jetta VR6 was produced in Mexico not Germany. Only because I grew up thinking that VW=German made....
    VW Canada are releasing the 4 Door GTI's a lot earlier than I was originally told.

The base price is however $10,000 CDN more than the base 4 Door Rabbit = around $250 CDN more per month on a four year lease (including tax). I am also told the insurance is higher on the GTI's - and not solely on the price differential.

Considering my Jetta 2.0T is only $100 CDN more per month than my 4 Door Rabbit = a good deal on the Jetta. (though I guess I should be comparing the GLI with the GTI)

Other stuff:
    - 4th tank of gas = 25 MPG
    - Here's a racist comment for you about the auto manufacturing process: I hope that nobody with a hangover from sugar-laden German wines worked on my Rabbit as it may have prevented the seal around the windshield from curing properly
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Where are the new Rabbits built? Are they made in Mexico just like the Jettas, or over in Germany?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    At the moment, all Golfs [GTI, "Rabbit"] are sourced for our market from Germany.

All Jettas WORLDWIDE are coming out of the Mexico plant.

"Quality" has several aspects: design engineering, production engineering, subcontractor assembly quality, and final assembly quality. The nationality of the workers on the line has just about absolutely NOTHING to do with the final product.

Past issues in the Mexican plant have had to do with picking the wrong suppliers for the cars being built there, and taking too long to deal with the problems when they became evident. The new Jetta's assembly quality appears fine - whether VW has picked the right suppliers this time around is open to debate, since the cars haven't been out there on the road that long.

VW doesn't have the management discipline of Toyota when it comes to moving their assembly lines outside of Germany, so it has taken longer [far too long] to get it right. But the issues are the same wherever the car is finally screwed together - what matters is how the company picked the suppliers for the major components, and how well they follow up on problems that develop. The language spoken in the plant parking lot doesn't much matter, one way or the other.
    Ok,
    to those who read WAY too much into a simple comment....
    My ONLY basis for saying I felt the German build might be better....
    Was the fact that early Mexcan built Jetta's had lot of quality issues...
    If the problem cars had been built in Germany...and the new Rabbit's built in Mexico...maybe I would have been excited that they were built in Mexico.

Another example of poor early Mexico built vehicles was the Focus....
    Had a 2000, that was in the shop with recalls at least 5 times the first year.... it all has to do with experiences....
    nothing to do with "Race".
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    Just read the article about new Golf road test and decided to let the steam out.

Ok, you were 20 in 1985 and liked your Rabbit. Now you are 40, are you supposed to drive a car named Rabbit? Are you supposed to drive it *again* if you drove it 20 years ago? Hardly These times have passed. So, Rabbit is not for 40-yr olds.

If you are 20-25-30 now, then the name "Rabbit" tells you nothing, this car has always been Golf for you. Nice, respectable name for a respectable hatcback with slightly dull though classy styling and high-quality materials. Renaming it to Rabbit is stupid, the car is 200 pounds heavier than its predecessor and barely gets 30 mpg, it cannot hop. Oh I get it, it is an american rabbit. It eats hamburgers, not carrots.

Rabbit? Oh come on. 7-yr olds do not buy cars. I will never buy a Golf christened Rabbit, ever.
This discussion has been closed.