Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Tire Pressure Monitor

geethageetha Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Nissan
I owned an infiniti G20, beautiful car; had almost 100,000 miles and never had a problem. I was searching for a car for my son at a nissan dealership, saw the new pathfinder, my husband really liked it. Got it (leased); 39months lease. About month and a half ago or so, I got the tire low pressure light came on. I asked my husband to check it out. When he took out to drive that day, light went off but he still had the tires checked to make sure that the air is where it should be. Now all of a sudden the light is on again yet my husband said my tires are ok from a pressure stand point. I am frustrated because this is a nuisance. I don't have the time to take it to the dealership everytime. Please help!! car only has 8,010 miles on it.

Comments

• geethageetha Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this message board. But can anyone tell me if they have experienced a similar problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

You're far more likely to get a reply if you post your message in one of the existing forums such as the main Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Problems & Solutions or Nissan Pathfinder discussions.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The tire pressure monitors are quite sensitive. You need to get a good quality tire pressure gauge and check the pressures - look in the owners manual for info. on what to set them at (where the tire pressure monitors want the pressure). You can also look on the drivers door post - the tire pressures are listed there and it's usually a better place to look - more up to date. Many service personel just guess at what to set them at - if you are relying on them insist they check the door post. Be aware on cool mornings the tire pressure will be lower and this has been known to trip the light. If this is what is happening to you, add two PSI to the pressure listed on the door post.

Note that another vehicle with tire pressure monitors like yours parked next to your vehicle can interfere with the system and trigger the light. It should go out shortly after you move the vehicle.

"Good quality" tire pressure gauges are discussed in this forum under "Tire Pressure Gauges" - accugauge was one mentioned (a digital gauge - easier to read than the traditional rod type).

Note also, tire pressure monitors were mandated by US Congress - it was not a "bad idea" by Nissan. It was a result of the Firestone/Ford exploder tire problem episode.
  • farru21farru21 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

We had the same problem on our 05 Pathfinder LE 4x2. It was a bad valve/sensor on the tire.

We discovered this after every week checking pressure and filling up air and trips to tire shop where they could not find a flat.

Dealership found the problem and fixed it under warranty.

Hope this helps,
    Frank
  • rookmasterrookmaster Member Posts: 1
    I exactly had that same "tire pressure" problem on my 2006 Pathfinder. When it first appeared, knowing that the problem is not that bad, I disregarded if for over a week. Then, one time, I did a hi-way driving and the pressure light disappeared. I thought that the problem was gone. The following day, that low-tire pressure light appeared again. I checked the pressure on all tires and they all appeared to be at 30-32 psi only. I increased it upto 35 psi based on the pressure gauge on a mobile/car-based air compressor. At that pressure (per that unreliable gauge), the light was still on. I brought it to the shop the following day and they told me that the pressure was not really 35 psi but around 33 to 34 psi. They increased it to 35 (all 4 tires) and the light was gone. When I went home, I looked for the pressure gauge that I thought was more reliable, and I confirmed that the shop indeed increased the tire pressure to 35 psi, indicating that tires must at least be at that pressure for the light to go away.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    The tire pressure recommended on the door jamb plate is COLD pressure. By most standards I know, that means having been driven less than a mile. It does little good to check tire pressure after that amount of driving, because friction and, consequently, heat cause the pressure to increase.

Check 'em when they're cold, not after they're warm - 35 PSI, as measured by a quality, reliable tire gauge.
  • thorgudthorgud Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005. The "Service engine soon" light in the dashboard keeps coming on without any noticable changes of the vehicle. The vehicle computer lists the problem "Vent. control valve; code P1446". The mechanics at the garage are unsure of what this means or what to do.
    Can anybody advice me what to do ?
  • bamd94bamd94 Member Posts: 1
    I'm sure this may have been discussed before but if it hasn't, I'd sure be appreciative if anyone has or had similar issues! I've been having some problems with our "cigarette lighter/charger" fuse. The Nissan dealer states that you can ONLY put the Verizon cell phone charger in a certain way. Now how ridiculous is that, you pay 30K+ for a vehicle and its fuse can hold a cell phone charger! This is the second time the fuse has blown, and the dealer states they won't cover it again! Seems like a Nissan problem more so than a Verizon problem! Thoughts?
  • paulsed1paulsed1 Member Posts: 4
    Any ideas on the order of the tires pertaining to how they are displayed? (2008 LE) The manual makes it sound like it is random, but I can't imagine that is the case. It keeps saying one is too low, around 29 PSIs, but they all seem about the same to me. Thank you for any insight.
This discussion has been closed.