Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What about Volvo's future?

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    The new wagon is bigger than the old one.
    It is approx 5" longer,and a couple inches wider.
    It has a totally new chassis,w/ more Boron steel built into it.
    The side airbags are larger and better positioned.
    The SI6 engine is alot smoother than the old I5.
    Also, new features are available. Active headlights,cooled seats,Active cruise control,etc.
    Car has much better ergonomics than the old car.
    Go sit in the new S80,that will give you the feel for the new XC70.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Volvomax, thanks. The new model sounds good.

Incidentally, do you agree with me on the case against the MB and BMW wagons or did I overstate their expense and lack of utility?
    The Benz and Bimmer wagons are alot more $$.
    You aren't paying for utility,you are paying for the badge.

That customer really isn't interested in the utility aspect anyway.
    When was the last time you saw one at Home Depot?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Bimmer and Benz wagons don't go to Home Depot. They are too busy carrying a lot of prep school and college stickers on their back windows!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's more info on the pending sale of Volvo:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070715/ford_volvo.html?.v=4
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Yikes it looks like ford is going to sell everything but the kitchen sink.

I just did my daily Google news search for various terms and started reading all the Volvo sales rumors.

I have this horrible feeling that there won't be a Ford motor company in 10 or so years. They will sell off all their ancillary/foreign business units and then not be able to to turn the domestic operations around. :sick:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford made a statement this evening denying the story.

AP-Yahoo News

Guess that means it's a done deal, right? :P
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    certainly his choice of words makes one suspicious. "we're not in talks with anyone about the sale." Not, "we aren't selling."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

It is no secret that Ford would sell Volvo IF they could get their asking price($8 billion).
    Whether anyone would pay that is the question.

Selling Volvo would be very shortsighted by Ford.
    But,they are a shortsighted company to begin with.
    They have a pricetag on it? That would definitely scream "for sale" to me. Where was this published?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The number has been floated around for some time.
    8 billion was the number given in that link of mine yesterday. Ford paid $6.45 billion for Volvo in '99.
    Anybody got 7,999,999,637.50 they wanna loan me? ;b

"One stumbling block could be the significant integration of Volvo's product lines and R&D activities into Ford's corporate system. Virtually all Volvo vehicles now share components extensively with Ford models in Europe and North America."

Ford Edges Closer to Volvo Sale (Inside Line)
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    No, but I've got the fifty cents!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    sweet! how many more partners do you think it will take to get all the money together at this pace?

The number has been floated before.
    Originall, over a month ago when the talks w/ BMW were leaked.
    I will say it again. If Ford keeps going where it is going it is going to end up with Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and then a vestigial presence in the rest of the world.

Sounds like a suicide pact to me.
  • bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    From Ford's perspective it makes sense to start the sales with Volvo.

Volvo is the only part of the PAG that makes real money. Ford is past the point of selling off the losers. They need to make money on the sale, not just make other sales to stop losing it.

You can bet that Jag/ LR sales would follow quickly. With Volvo making money in a sale it would be easier to lose it on the rest of the PAG.

I'm surprised Renault/ Nissan isn't showing interest. It would take them upscale in Europe and they could use the Volvo leadership in safety.

NY Times also has an article on Volvo/ Ford, it may be old news to this forum, here it is just in case:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/business/17auto.html
    I'm surprised Renault/ Nissan isn't showing interest.

Interestingly enough, Renault is the largest shareholder of Volvo Truck. I think you're on to something...

Volvo + Volvo = a Match Made in Heaven? (Motley Fool)
    hmmm... i don't like it.

only because i see no benefit for me. ;b

It was one thing to bring volvo tech and engineering into Ford products, but I like nissan the way it is and volvo the way it is. I don't want to see a volvo with a VQ engine, nor do I want to see a Maxima with a 5-cylinder turbo.

But those Nissan VQ's are famous! (the variant in my Quest is doing good at 118k, touch wood).
    Oh, I know. That's why I like them. But the last thing we need, IMHO, is MORE cars with that engine! They've spread it thin enough as it is. Besides, like I said, I also like volvo's engines, so I don't want to see them go away. At one point, I had both an S70 T5 and a 350Z in my driveway. I loved both!

I posted this in the "changes you'd like to see in the V70" thread, but that gets no action, so I'm reposting.

2008 XC70/V70

I was very disappointed when I found out there would be no '08 V70R, but now Volvo is just rubbing salt in the wound by saying we won't even get a V70 T6.

Volvo only sold 500 some V70R wagons last year.
    the market for high performance wagons is nonexistent sadly.
    we have 4 V70R's sitting,gathering dust.
    I think eventually,you will see a V70 T6,or more likely an XC70 T6 in the US.
    There is a T6 version of the S80 now so I agree with Max that a T6 XC70 will come later one and maybe a T6 V70.
    well, according to that article, volvo says no V70 T6 for us. I agree an XC70 T6 will have a good chance here, but I don't like the XC70. :b
    ugly plastic cladding screws up a nice design.

4 V70Rs collecting dust, huh? Well, unfortunately, we don't need one for another year. :(
    Maybe you'll still have one then. ;b

Our volvo store is the same way. They can't sell the V70Rs as there is just no market for them.

I really wanted to do Euro Delivery for a V70R too. :sick:
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I still think Volvo, would find it's best place in the Chrysler, portfolio since they lack a premium brand. ;)

-Rocky
    I still think Volvo, would find it's best place in the Chrysler, portfolio since they lack a premium brand.

There is just one small problem, Chrysler doesn't have $8 billion.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Well they can borrow it from China, Why not our country does !!!!! ;) :P

-Rocky
  • cu503cu503 Member Posts: 39
    Hi, I have seen you are a Volvo Guru and wanted to hear your thoughts. I have a 2000 S8o, 115K miles, NO PROBLEMS! Guess I am one of the few!. I am looking at the new S80, 6 cylinder and see VERY little discussion on it. I see write ups where it not equal to an BMW 5 series, or a A6, but it looks like a nice car. Whats the scuttlebut? any bad news on this car ? (like my current one!), I see lower and lower leases in the papers, and I am assuming very slow sales, any huge discounts out there on these? did all the bad PR on Gen 1 S80 screw up potential sales on Gen 2?
    thanks, Dave
    The new S80 is a very very nice car.
    It won't go around a race track as well as a 5 Series,but it isn't anywhere as expensive either.
    It is more than capable against the A6 however.
    It is quiter,more comfortable and it handles better than your 1st gen car.
    Plus, we haven't had any come back with issues.

As for sales, Volvo actually had a very modest sales goal for the S80,unlike the 1st generation car.
    The Premium sedan segment has seen its sales decline over the last couple of years,even BMW is feeling the pinch in that segment.
    Where Volvo went wrong at launch was not providing a subvented lease for the car.
    Every car in the segment has a subsidised lease.
    So, Volvo was late for that,but since we came out with the lease program,sales have been brisk.
    Most retailers are running short of inventory,and the 08's are more than 30 days out in most cases.
    "Around the end of the decade, all Volvos will share either Ford's CD-EU platform or the compact C1 platform used now by the Ford Focus and the Mazda 3."

IL Exclusive: Volvo's Future
    I think it needs to be pointed out that the platforms are re-worked for Volvo's use.
    High stength steels and asdditional bracing is added for Volvo.
    but shouldn't that be "if volvo is still part of ford"?

I seriously doubt that Ford would sell 100% of Volvo.
    They would continue to share platforms,even with the new entity.
    Remember, the sharing isn't all 1 way.
    Ford uses the Volvo 5 cyl engines in the Euro Focus,and the Roll Stability systems in their SUV's.
    oh, i know.
    volvo is very integral in Ford. extracting them will be a huge mess.

• donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    What do you know about the upcoming XC60? Any idea of the price range this will fall into?How big or small is this wagon?
    The show car looks awesome....if they don't mess up the exterior looks when they make this.Will it be out late 08 or??
    Production version is supposed to be unveiled at the Detroit auto show.
    Power will come from the 3.2l I6, maybe the Turbo 6 eventually.
    Should be about the size of the X3, LR2 crossovers.
    Price in the $30's.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Volvo is getting closer to being a Chinese brand...

Ford CEO Mulally says talks on Volvo are progressing

UPDATED: Sept. 25 11:21 CET

Ford Motor Co.'s plans for the sale of Volvo are progressing, CEO Alan Mulally said on Friday.

Ford has not said who it is talking with about Volvo but China's Geely Automotive has said its parent company wants to buy the Swedish brand.

Mulally was speaking in Chongqing, China, at a ground-breaking ceremony for a new 150,000-unit factory that will boost Ford's production capacity in the country to 600,000 by 2012.

.......The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that Ford is analyzing a recent Geely bid to acquire 100 percent of Volvo for about $2.5 billion, citing people familiar with the matter.

The newspaper said Geely has emerged as the leading contender to acquire Volvo from Ford.

Ford said in December 2008 it was considering selling its money-losing Volvo unit as part of a strategic review of the business as it continues efforts to turnaround its own fortunes.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090925/ANE02/309259991/1257- - &AssignSessionID=273363776571698

Will it lose its remaining luster once it is Geely Volvo? Or will the Chinese really know how to run a "Swedish" car company?

BTW, that new Chongqing plant will be building Focuses for export......the Chinese are coming! I imagine it won't be TOO long before Volvos are being built in China too, for export worldwide......

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    if they get bought by Geely. Unless they decide to leave them independant, and just use the engineering talent (and like Ford, take the existing platforms to underpin their own models).

ALthough it is hard to imagine it will be worse than what GM did to SAAB!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Ugh, I hope not. That's why they'll have to pry the steering wheel from my cold, dead hands from this one (1970 144S 4-speed):

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    And, speaking of SAAB - this one too (1985 SAAB 900 5-speed), both examples of my "real" Swedish iron:

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
    Love the 144. I had a 142 that was a year older than yours.

I have a terrible feeling for Volvo's future if the Chinese are going to run the show. i would love for them to prove me wring.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I love that car. I learned to drive on my folks '69 144S 4 speed. Same color as yours, without the wheels of course!

Still miss that car, but my sister hated it. I used to have to go out and take the parking brake off for her and my mother after me or my father cranked it on!

Thanks. It's been on the road, as has the '85 SAAB, since purchase. The paint (Medium Blue) on the 144S is original. It's too bad I don't have a shot (I'll have to take one later) of the front, as it has driving lights and an IPD air dam (installed way back in 1973).

In fact, the car is extensively prepared with IPD parts including cam, ported and polished head, tubular header, electronic ignition, etc, as well as a larger front sway bar, rear sway bar, IPD's rally springs, Bilstein shocks, Volvo's once optional ATS aluminum wheels, and Volvo's old Competition Department's gauge cluster (see photo), and Nardi leather-covered steering wheel. I changed out the original twin Stromberg 175CDSE carbs in 1972, and switched over to twin SU HS6 carbs. Tried Weber 45DCOE's side drafts, but they were simply too much carburation for the engine.

The 144S is built like a tank, and yet reasonably sporty. Most of the 140-series cars in my area (central Illinois) are long gone due to poor maintenance and rust. It's a survivor, much like me (Age 62) - and, still a Volvo enthusiast!

Way more guages than ours had!

Brings back memories. I can even see the choke hiding behind the LS of the wheel.

ANd it looks like you have air. One more thing we did not have.

Talk about simple. No PS, PB or air.

I do recall the carns being a recurring problem though. I think they had to be adjusted often. That, and the mutliple mufflers rusting out.

My old 142 was a victim of rust and some mechanical issues that no doubt came from less than stellar maintenance of the previous owner. It was a dark blue.

Nice manual choke but nothing of the neat gagues you've got. Had a horizontal speedometer and was very slow. Loved it anyway.
    I'm biting my tongue about the '74's I had experience with.

Carry on. :shades: