Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• chaplainchaplain Member Posts: 16
    On my 98 QX4, the error light for my 4X4 comes on as I get on to the highway. When I stop and turn the car off, then restart it, the light goes off. My 4X4 seems to function correctly. Any idea what the problem might be?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I don't know, but Wonder if you power off the unit by taking its fuse out and put it back in to reset the unit, will it work again?
  • qx4owner1qx4owner1 Member Posts: 12
    I own 2002 QX4 and my empty gas light goes on when I reach 16 gallons. Is this normal?
    My 02 QX4 does the same as yours.
    I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my 4WD. Anyone know why the dash error light comes on, but the 4WD still seams to function? At least I think it is functioning correctly.
  • Jack44Jack44 Member Posts: 221
    What dash 'error' light are you talking about???
  • archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 16
    I am a new poster on this board. Have a 2001 2wd Q that I purchased about 6 months ago. I experienced the same problem with my CD changer. Talked to folks at Infiniti dealership, and, since it wasn't covered on warranty, was able to find out who services their car stereos. Called him directly, and was able to have the problem repaired for $275. Also, found out that this is not uncommon and that the most likely cause is playing (particularly, switching) CDs while driving on a rough road. It is a mechanical problem involving the laser tracking mechanism. I hope this helps.
  • petem5petem5 Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone, this is to follow up on my post #1843, where I told you about all the things the local Nissan dealer (Infiniti is an hour away)said I needed done at my regular oil change, primarily brakes. Well, the good news is I went to Midas (which happens to be right across the street) and they said that nothing needed to be done at this time! Well that was worth the $22 investment. I talked to the guy who did the work and he said that I have 8-10,000 miles left on the brakes and they hoped I would return at that time. And when all those things do need to be done, it will cost about half of what Nissan said it would.

I asked how Nissan could say I needed all these things and they came up with nothing. Midas said that I paid them for their time, whether they did anything or not and that Nissan probably gets paid by the job, so no job, no pay. So while I am feeling great about getting a second opinion and not having a repair bill, I am bummed that my suspicions about the Nissan dealer have been confirmed. It seemed at least a few people would get called from the waiting room to be told they needed something else each time I was there. And they got my wife with a front-end alignment about 6 months ago -- she called me to ask what to do and said they showed her where the very outside tread was feathering -- we didn't feel good about it but had a big drive scheduled for the weekend so there was no time for a second opinion. I guess Midas will be doing our oil changes from now on.
    I am talking about the 4WD error light. When it comes on, I first hear a click and then the display that shows if I am in 4WD or 2WD goes out.
  • g23g23 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 QX4 with 15k miles. A few weeks ago I tried to use the air conditioner for the first time since last summer but it did not work. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they told me that the air condenser is damaged and needs to be replaced - for $650. However, they say that the damage must have been caused by road debris and is therefore not covered by warranty. Do I have any recourse, or am I stuck with this bill? Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Can this dealer show you (or prove), or they just think it's most likely damaged by road debris? They can't reject a warranty repair only based on their own reasoning.

In my imagination, the worst dealer will have a customer pay for repair that should be under warranty, and still collect that amount from manufacturer saying "it's a warranty repair" to make double profit.
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    Took my 01 QX4 to the infiniti dealer and since I was still covered under warranty.. the dealer removed the entire radio unit even though it was a jammed cd changer and replaced with a brand new one from factory. It does seem that this is a very common problem with the changers as both the QX4 and Pathfinder share the same mechanism. BTW... the dealer doesn't return your CDs..they send complete unit back to the OEM and they mail back your CDs in about 6 weeks.
  • bobbio56bobbio56 Member Posts: 37
    Just took the wife's qx4 (was mine...it was seized in a hostile takeover several years ago...)
    had it in for tires (mickie's LTX m/s...best all around...second set) and service....while driving it to the dealer...i heard a clunk, just once, making a slow right turn...the service tech got it to make the same sound and says that it is the front differential...nothing to worry about yet...but you never know...anyone have experience with this issue and does anyone have any idea what this could cost...service guy indicated over 1,500..but he was not sure...other than that the 4X system works perfect and the truck is wonderful....anyhelp would be greatly appreciated...thanks
  • dan10dan10 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2001 QX4 with a navigation system.
    Two questions :
    The dealer only had one CD of my region, and told me that 6 are needed for the entire US. Should the navigation system come with the entire US ? Where can I get the other regions?

2. How reliable is the navigation system and should I buy an extended warranty for it ?
    Anyone have an approximate how expensive are the repairs?
    Wonder anybody knows how? Owner's manual does not show the details.
    Just had changed the cabin air filters behind the glove box...Really dirty...Should have changed them years ago...Stupid...Have 2001 QX4 purchased in July 2000...
    What are some of the reasons the 4WD error light would come on. Does anyone have the owner's manual on a 98 QX4 that will say what some of the possibilities could be? Please help me.

Thanks
    Jeff
    "If the shift lever is set midway between the H and the 4LO position, the 4WD warning light will sometimes illuminate. When this occurs, move the shift lever to the H or 4LO position."

The above is one small section in 98 QX4 owner's manual downloaded form somewhere. Not sure if it's what you want...
    I am just trying to figure out what it could be. The 4WD still works just fine. I am just tired of looking at that gold light.

Thanks
    Jeff
  • azrphazrph Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a used 2001 QX4 with 17" tires. I am moving from Arizona to Oregon where there will be snow. The tires may need replacement from looking at the tread in about 10k miles or so. I drive alot so this may carry me 2-3 months. ANy recommendation on a good tire which is great in snow during that time of the year, but which also won't compromise gas mileage or the smooth ride during the rest of the year?????
    I've mentioned before, the Michelin LTX M/S 245/65-17's that came stock on my 2001...Great mileage and good in mud and snow...
  • tintinntintinn Member Posts: 9
    I've been driving Honda accord for years and want to try a SUV. Found one 2001 QX4 from Carmax, 72K, can switch between 2WD,AWD and 4WD (how do you call it), $17998. Looks and drives pretty well. Is this a good deal?

I heard QX4 is discontinued for 04 or future. Will it mean anything bad as far as the service and maintenance is concerned? Also is QX4 really premium-gas only?

Thanks guys.
    As far as price...What does Edmunds here say?...and Kelley Blue Book?...And local papers...That could be hard as there are very few around being sold...But that's a lot of miles for a 2001...Even if they got it mid year 2000, when they first came out...I've only got 45,000 in my 2001...

Great SUV...Service at Infiniti dealers very good...

And, yes, it uses premium gas...And lot's of it...It's only bad part...
  • cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I bought a used 2001 QX4 from my local infiniti dealer back in January and paid $24K. Loaded with everything except navigation and had 41600 miles. Mint condition inside and out, was turned in from a lease deal. Dealer certified vehicle and warranty still good till Nov 04.

I agree with jack44 that is alot of miles for an 01, I'd check to see if the warranty has expired. Serviced should still be available for many years to come. I think 2003 model was the last year of production for this body style.
    I think it sounds like a good deal. Infiniti is a quality product, so high miles doesn't matter unless you want to sell or trade in the near future. I bought a 2001 2wd Q for $20K last September with 58K miles. It now has 80k miles. No real concerns on maintenance except oxygen sensors may need replecing ("check engine" lite), and I've had to have the CD changer mechanism rebuilt. Check the JD Powers rating for mid-term reliability on Edmunds. As to service, I use a local mechanic who is very experienced with Missan products, and it has worked out much better than going to a dealer.

I also think the all-mode 4wd that is on the Q is an excellent product. I decided it's excessive for me, because I live in Florida, and I don't need to carry that extra weight around.
    Your quote.."I also think the all-mode 4wd that is on the Q is an excellent product. I decided it's excessive for me, because I live in Florida, and I don't need to carry that extra weight around."

Living in Florida with all the rain, having the Auto 4WD on would be a positive...Something I do here in California...When it's raining, I turn on the Auto 4WD...
    is also what I do. I also encountered twice that when I turn a little too fast, the rear of the car swings (maybe what's called fishtails) for a second then back on track, not on rainy day, on perfect city road. That was with 2WD turned on. I am not sure if Auto 4WD would help that.
    "is also what I do. I also encountered twice that when I turn a little too fast, the rear of the car swings (maybe what's called fishtails)I am not sure if Auto 4WD would help that."

Can't hurt...If not, you could begin entering "Drifting" Contests...
  • aigengaaigenga Member Posts: 14
    I feel the shudder of warped rotors, especially when braking on the highway. At 28,000 miles on my 20001 QX4 it is too soon, but reality is hard. I am thinking of replacing the rotors and found interesting offerings on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7910942643&category=33564

The question is - does anyone have any experience with secondary market rotors? What do you think?

Thanks,
    Gary
  • savage25savage25 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2001 qx4 that I've bought as C.P.O.. That also happened to me. But the good thing is i' me covered with the extended warranty that they gave me at no additional charge. They changed it with a new one and brought back the cds that are stuck a few weeks after.
  • savage25savage25 Member Posts: 3
    Why not trying getting the extended warranty free of charge? That's what I did. I told the salesman before I bought it that the mileage concerns me (it had 25,000 miles) and I dont like the color(beige)..So he gave me a deal; same price as we've talked $23'500 with extended warranty & brand new set of 4 michelin pilot tires.
  • guffsterguffster Member Posts: 1
    I have a fairly new 2003 QX4 with about 8,000 miles. I am unhappy with an average of around 13 miles per gallon on the highway. I repeat, the highway. I don't drag race and am always around the speed limit. I also expressed a problem to my Infiniti dealer that when I put the vehicle in park and turn off the ignition there is a slight "lunge" forward with the vehicle. Anyone ever heard of this ? The dealer merely shrugs their shoulders about this.
    This happens 'just' in Auto, correct...Normal...
  • aigengaaigenga Member Posts: 14
    Well, I went ahead with the rotors and a set of AXXIS Metal Master pads. The parts cost me about $120 and the service was $150 at a local mechanic. I bed them in as I have seen advised and could smell the brakes heat up. The results so far (200 miles or so) are great - better feel, better bite, shorter distances (I guess).

I think this is a better way to go than cutting the existing rotors.

Gary
  • markbeanmarkbean Member Posts: 1
    My wife recently took her 2003 QX4 in for its scheduled 30K mile maintenance. While the car was in the shop, the dealer called to report that the front brakes should be replaced. They added that she would save $200 and only pay $250 is she did this service now. While I don’t believe that the brakes needed replacement, this is not my main compliant. The real problem is that the charge for 30K mile maintenance was $1000. This was before adding the $250 for the front brakes. Unfortunately, I was not made aware of this until after she had already picked up her QX4 and paid the $1250. I was infuriated and felt for sure that this Infiniti service center took advantage of her because she was a young attractive woman. Instead of running down to the service center to give them a piece of my mind, I decided to let my temper cool a bit. I went over the service slip and everything listed, besides the front brakes, indicated that it was part of the standard maintenance schedule. I called up three other Infiniti service centers in my area and they quoted prices from $490-$566 for the same 30K scheduled maintenance. Next I called up the service center that charged my wife $1000 and I was quoted $850-$900. Upon inquiring about the $50 range, they told me that it could go up to $900 if things such as wiper blades needed to be replaced. The service manager went on to justify the high price by informing me that they need to repack the front bearings and that the service takes an entire day. Now I’m looking at two problems. How can one service center quote prices so out of line with the other service centers and how can they quote a difference price to a man than they charged a woman?

I contacted the Infiniti Consumer Affairs and it seems that there is little they can do since the service centers are independently owned and operated. I think that the most I can do to involve Infiniti Consumer Affairs is to CC them on my letter.

I suspect that this was not a one-time occurrence for this Infiniti service center. What is the best way to find out if others have brought forward similar complaints? Is there anything that I should do to help prove that they took advantage of my wife because she was a woman?

I have decided to hold off contacting the Infiniti service center who overcharged me. I want to better understand where I stand before I bring my grievance to them.

-- Disgruntled
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you charge it? If so, have your bank back charge it, and dispute the bill. You can also contact any consumer reporters at your local newspaper or TV stations, and complain to your state's consumer protection office (usually run by the Attorney General). Small claims court or the BBB may be an option too.

You could also write the owner of the dealership and explain the situation and ask for a reduction in price.

Finally, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide estimates what we think your 30,000 mile service should cost.
  • ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    THANKS for the tip on the Edmunds Maintenance Guide, Steve! Very helpful and comprehensive. I especially appreciate the price guide and the Recall / TSB advisories. Now I am aware that my 2001 Acura CL-S has a recall that was activated last week. Keep up the great work - it's appreciated.

Mark
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    $1000 for 30K sounds like civil court hearing.

Generally, 01-to-03 QX4 for 30K service should average $300.00. I paid $297.63 at Grubbs Infiniti.

I would look carefully at my invoice to see what was performed, 4X4 will be more due to LSD gear being changed, but that would only add about $120.00 to 30K service.

Your wifes scenaro of needing the front brake happen to me also, service technician stated that I needed front brakes, and the rear cleaned and adjusted, eventhough, the front brake wear indicator(thin piece of metal)did not go off. My total 30K, front brake and rear brake clean and adjustment came to $808.20.

I would get 30K price request from Infiniti dealers in your area and then compare your invoice with other dealer price request and then file a complaint through Better Business Bureau.

If the dealer does not respond your first request, and BBB's statement, then file a civil court proceeding.

Now days everything is commission driven and when opportunity knocks service consultants will take you to the bank. I imagine out of your $1,250.00 the service consultant got a large commission.

My front brake service was $299.00 + pads of $71.00.

Good luck.
    Arch,

Did you also have the "service engine soon" light go on?

Mine use to come on and go off and the dealer would turn it off and blame it on the gas cap, but now it's on constantly.

I need to take my car this month for motor vechicel examination and I heard if the "service engine soon" or "check engine" light is on they will not examine your vehicle.

One other poster stated some sort of modulator senor?? Hmm..
    Yes, my "service engine soon" lite has been going on and off. My mechanic checked it out and traced it to the oxygen sensors. There are four of them, and they recommended replacing all at once. He also said they recommend replacing these at 60 k miles as a standard service item, since they have seen this problem frequently on pathfinders or qx4s. I have read elsewhere that the problem is related to the high sulfur content of gasoline. If so, this was decreased by law in all gasoline vendors as of Jan 1, 2004. Hopefully, oxygen sensors will not be a problem again. The estimated cost with labor was $825. Haven't done the work yet. I can get the sensors for about half the cost over the internet. Hope this helps.
    On my 2001 QX4 is now going on...Even after I clear it...P0160...Heated O2 Sensor Slow Response...

Have to bring it in...Sensors run about $110 bucks...plus 100 or so labor...

If you're coming up to Inspection...I'd get it looked at...
    Arch and Jack.

My "SES" light went on 4-or-5 times, all traced back to the so-called gas cap not being tight theory(by the dealer). They somehow reseted the switch and the light went off for a while, but it would come back again, now with my car having 73,000 miles, and out of waranty I think the source might be the oxygen sensor.

My questions are,

How many oxygen sensors are there in the QX4? Arch you stated more than one.

Jack, you stated some sort of clearing of switch to reset the light? Did you perform that yourself?

Finally, with so many Path's and QX4 owners having such problems would this be an recall issue for Nissan?
    2 Oxygen sensors...Like most cars...One is just after the exhaust manifold and the other is just aft of the Cat...

And they do malfuction...

I have a code reader with a function that allows me to clear lights...It's the Equuis OB II code reader...
    Jack,

Did you replace the oxygen sensors by yourself?

I'm thinking about doing it myself. Was there any visable sign of malfunction in those oxygen sensors?

Thanks for the response.
    Turned out it was not bad O2 Sensor, they were fine, but a faulty Int/Timing Control Sensor, Infiniti's P0160...So they replaced it and then Reprogram the ECU...

Had G35 while they replaced and washed my QX4...

Tough to beat Infiniti Service...
  • carlover2carlover2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everybody,
     I'm a new member of this board but I've reading a lot of discussions about difference manufacture made and I'd bought a 97 Qx4 last year at 68K miles and the most complaints I've read about this model was underpowered, mine was not the exception one, so I just wondered about the newer model like 01, 02 or even 03, did they make some changes for the power issues so that will make most of the older model's owner (like mine)hoping that we can get one ???, Mine was equipped with a 3.3L engine and I knew the new models came with the 3.5L same as newer Path and the G35.
     Anyone give input for this message will be greatly appreciated.
                Thanks a million.
  • carlover2carlover2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, it's me again...
     I'd just posted my 97 QX4 about lacks of power now I just recalled that the engine oil only take 3qtz 3/4 when did the oil changed, I've been wondering about how come with the 3.3L engine only take that much oil for lubrication while a smaller engine will take almost double the amount of oil when changing ? (like my previous 00 Volks-Jetta, it equipped with a 2.8L V6 but it took almost 6qtz to fill up)and also my 97 Toy 4Runner came with 3.4L V6 engine and will take 6qtz as well to fill up, that something make me wonder about the longevity of the engine of my 97 Qx4...Does somebody know this ? Please...
          Thanks again
    I had 5 readings.

P0430
    P0420

Then

P0430
    P0420

Last

P1441

p0420 TW (Two-Way) Catalyst System, Bank 1
    P0430 TW Catalyst System, Bank 2
    P1441 VC/V Bypass/V

Autozone thinks the 420 and 430 are related to catalyst converter, he thought maybe that my CV was clogged, and ask me if I was losing oil, which I did not.
    The 1441 code he did not know, so he asked me to call the dealership. The service man at Sewell did not want to divulge any information and told me to just bring it in for service.
    Just talked to my friend at Infiniti...

The 1441 is the EVAP System...Probably the cannister by fuel tank...

And the 0420 being the EGR valve and the 0430 being the 3-way Cat...

He also mentioned that with replacing, the ECM would need to be reprogrammed...

So I don't think this is a do-it-yourself...