Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• masik03masik03 Member Posts: 10
    The upward forces on a canoe must be many times greater than on a kayak. 75MPH with a canoe and a center latch tie-down sounds risky to me too.
    Your best bet is to use the screw-in tow ring. If you can tow the car from this point why can't you tie down a canoe from the same point. Second choice would be an under hood tie-down on each side of the hood.
  • fitdcfitdc Member Posts: 9
    Use the tow point on the front left of the bumper. I have mounted a "permanent" hook in the metric screwpoint for tying down my lightweight single canoe and other big things. The roof is a little tinny so don't overload it. FitDC
  • jethadenjethaden Member Posts: 36
    I recently bought the Yakima Rack with Q5 clips. I used the screw in tow ring to tie down my 14' sea kayak with fine results. I would see no good reason for Honda to say not to use it as it is very strong. I generally am not too trusting of the Q5 clips and how well they clipped into the door. They do not seem that strong and stable, but are acceptable. I would not trust them without a strong bow and stern tie down. The Fit and kayak just completed a 1600 mile drive with absolutely no problems. Gas millage dropped at least 6-8 MPG thou (37 to 29-30).
  • soonerdalsoonerdal Member Posts: 8
    I have the very same setup on my Fit, the yakima rack and Q clips. I used the tow ring and had no trouble driving 1700 miles with Kayak on top, through the Rocky Mountains even.
  • sccop5sccop5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks-
    Just bought a Fit. Where can I get a screw-in tow ring?
    MANY THANKS!!!!!!!!
    under the tire I believe, with the tire wrench thingy. Whatever it is called. I don't know my tool names. Its in a little bag.
  • banachbanach Member Posts: 2
    You should be aware that Honda states in the owners manual not to use the tow ring as a tie-down point. That said, I am grateful to those who have shared their experiences in managing to carry a canoe (or Kayak) on the Fit despite what Honda says. Has anyone gotten an answer from Honda as to why there are no tie-down points on the front of the car and why they specifically state not to use the tow ring as a tie-down point ?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    A portable GPS is now available. However its a rebadged garmin nuvi with a honda logo.
  • pgm3270311pgm3270311 Member Posts: 1
    There's a product called 'top ties' (http://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=97&rn=773&action=show_detail) that might work for you. Also, I've been told by more than one canoe dealer that the front tie down rope is more of a backup in case the straps holding the canoe to the rack slip or break.
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone extensively researched which dealership/retailer offers the Honda accessories at the cheapest price? Shipping charges are also to be considered. I'd like to order floor mats, locking gas cap and lug nuts etc. all from one outlet to save money. Any knowledge/help would be appreciated.
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    I got my black Fit Sport with the 16" wheels and boy they look sharp! I also got the Music Link for my iPod, but I haven't had much chance to fully use it because only a month after I had my car it was broken into and they stole my iPod from the glovebox. :cry: The thief must've known to look there.

Anyway, insurance won't cover the iPod (thru homeowners insurance, which has a $500 deductible on top of the $500 auto deductible for the car repairs). I'll probably wait until I can afford an iPhone. Does anyone know if the Music Link system is compatible with the iPhone and the newer releases of iTunes software?

And while I'm talking about the wheels, are the 16" heavier than the factory 15" wheels by any significant margin? My mileage has been subpar (26-29mpg on average) and I'm wondering if the wheels might be a contributing factor, besides my heavy right foot. Just kidding, I'm not an aggressive driver and shift up at 2 to 3000 rpm.

I noticed on the Honda site that both the 16" wheels and the Music Link are no longer listed as accessories. Are they still offered? It's curious that Honda would be taking accessory options AWAY as the Fit becomes more and more popular. In any case, I'm glad I got both... they really add to my feeling that I got a much more substantial car for the money. Guess I should feel lucky I got them while they were still available.
  • papperclippypapperclippy Member Posts: 4
    I have the 07 base auto model. I am looking for a new stereo. Is there an aux input in the back of the base model radio that i can't see? Also, what are other people putting in the fits, I want to be able to connect my IPOD.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    it may not be significant, but they DO add weight. The lower profile tires don't help you mileage either. If you got them straight from the factory, they proably are shod with bridgestone re70's the same type of tire that cars like the vw gti come with standard. not exactly a recepie for good mpg.

the reason the music link is not on the website is because it got discontinued. the wheels are no longer there due to the new 08 fit having a tire pressure monitoring system.
  • zharrazharra Member Posts: 2
    There are lots of market where you can get Honda
    accessories but I suggest you look here first
    http://www.discounthonparts.com/honda-accessories/ because they have nice deals and
    great quality.
  • unfitunfit Member Posts: 12
    Is this the armrest?

http://www.armrest-autoaccessories.com/pb/wp_1bfbfbab/wp_1bfbfbab.html?0.7066260- 172920256

Anyone have experience with this one from Armrest King? I am looking for one that is sturdy,equal in height with the door armrest, sticks out far enough so that I can put my elbow on it and still reach the wheel, and allows room for me to apply the brake. Thanks!
    go to www.aj-racing.com and go under jdm accesories, and you will find the genuine japanese market armrest for the fit.

the one you posted is an aftermarket one.
  • thomasbetzthomasbetz Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking to improve the radio reception by replacing the stubby roof antenna on the back of my Fit Sport (NOT Jazz, which has a different antenna entirely). Does anyone know the specification for the screw-mount connection used? Is it the same as that for flexible marine radio antennas? I figure that increasing its length to 1/8 wave (basically doubling its length) for FM would make a significant improvement in performance without significantly endangering it, but I don't find anyone selling longer replacement aftermarket antennas -- just shorter ones!
  • mgutaimgutai Member Posts: 25
    I purchased a cloth-covered arm rest from Quality Auto Interiors for about $130.

link title

It works great. I was concerned about it sticking out far enough also. It has a movable top and can slide forward. Got it in Black, and it matches very closely my black interior.
    Honda now has an armrest kit coming soon.
  • nascartrashnascartrash Member Posts: 33
    please do tell more?
    Ok it's an armrest that flips up to reveal a storage area. Similar to the ones on the civic, accord, and other honda models.
    it will probably look like the one thats on the website i posted earlier.
  • compactconvertcompactconvert Member Posts: 8
    Hello! I just purchased a new Fit Sport with no options b/c they are so much cheaper online. I'm sure I want floormats, but what about wheel locks? The sport comes with alloy wheels, and I notice that many people seem to get the wheel locks when they buy a Sport. Are these alloy wheels big magnets for theft? If so, are the wheel locks an effective deterrent and worth paying for? Finally, how tough is it for an individual to install these locks on his/her own? Thanks in advance.
  • laurenceblaurenceb Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased a cruise control kit for a Base Model Honda Fit with manual transmission (see below) but need to locate the ECM. Does anyone knopw where this is located?

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/complete_cruise_kit_for_a_2007_honda_fit_with_manu- al_transmission.html
  • catweazlecatweazle Member Posts: 1
    I vaguely remember seeing a post some time ago where the ECU is located in the floor of the front passenger seat-well. It had 4 (?) screws and when panel lifted the ECU was attached. The wiring harness was quite tight.Might have been for a Jazz but Fit should be same? HTH.Please confirm as am interested for my Oz Jazz. Regards.
  • laurenceblaurenceb Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. You are correct. It is located deep inside the kick panel on the passenger side. It is quite easy to get to once you know where it is.
  • bourne1bourne1 Member Posts: 20
    is it easy to install or is it better to get a mechanic install this :confuse:
    will that affect my warranty :confuse:
    got my fit yesterday. i feel very uncomfortable without a dead pedal (foot rest) for my left leg. now i'm looking for a dead pedal but i don't know where to look for. i searched ebay, but the results were disappointing. somebody please help.
    thanks
  • thomasbetzthomasbetz Member Posts: 8
    I bought my dead pedal from Zeta Products.

http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4

Easy to install, uses existing bolts, no drilling.
    thanks
  • dzhang84dzhang84 Member Posts: 1
    My dealer actually installed a Karr alarm system on my base Fit which I declined. However, they didn't remove the system altogether, just disabled it. Would I have to remove the system altogether before trying to install a keyless entry system on my own? And can I disconnect the battery without worrying about the alarm unit?
  • mbeembee Member Posts: 2
    I got the Honda Fit Sport AT with Honda's security system and auto start. I was having problems with the system on passive mode (there's a second key chain with this and was told never use the buttons on the key--which I was faithful in doing so; I would even told any valet parking don't use the buttons on the key, but you never know if they do or don't). The alarm was reset to active mode, because I was told the alarm was resetting too quickly (basically if I got out of the car it reset by the time it would take to walk over to the pump for gas). It's on active now, but I'm still having problems. It seems like the alarm is still disabling on its own. Which doesn't make sense how this could be...It makes me wonder how long I'll have the car if it does this at the mall.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Sounds like they installed some sort of after-market system for you. I'm guessing the auto-start is an after-market system with an integrated alarm system? How do you mean the alarm is still disabling on its own?
  • happyvavhappyvav Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to kit out my new/used Fit but am having some trouble finding places that ship to Canada. Have any Canadians here bought things like the Cargo Tray and all-weather mats and had them shipped up? Or, do you know of any Canadian dealers? I don't really want to pay the absurd amount they're asking for these things at the dealerships!

Any advice is appreciated!
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Member Posts: 19
    I've had my '07 Fit Sport since Oct. '06 and have already worn a baseball-sized bare spot in the ridiculously cheap carpet where the dead pedal should be... looks like I'm in the market for one as well.

~marc
  • imloweimlowe Member Posts: 4
    The dealer did not install anything. This security "device" is the etching of numbers on your windows. If you look you will barely see them and an telephone number to report the stolen vehicle. What you are referring to is the fact that they did not register your numbers (fee for this) so if yours is stolen. The fit comes with a factory alarm. Look in your manual for more information.
  • mikethechapmikethechap Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Honda Fit Base model. I bought the keyless entry kit. All has gone fine up until the following. I am having trouble finding the connector with the BLUE TAPE per instructions to connect the 5-pin connector to. I have looked under the dash behind the fusebox, above the accelerator, above the brake pedal, and even loosened the fuse box. I see NO BLUE TAPE anywhere in that area. Does anyone have an idea how I might locate this connector?

Thanks!

Here's the link to the instructions I'm going off of: link title
  • abenderabender Member Posts: 1
    Hello havingafit!

I just wanted to know if you recommend getting the dark grey OR black synthethic leather armrest or the fabric or real leather one?

Which one do you have exactly??

Thank you!

Alex
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    Got it from collegehillshonda for $110. Install took about 45 minutes only because I didn't realize it wouldn't lock with the doors open. I spent an extra 15 minutes rechecking all the connections because I couldn't get the doors to lock. Once I shut all the doors, the locking worked great.

The instructions from the website were excellent.

RG
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    I just did the install last night and had no problems finding the blue tape. The connector is taped on the top side of a wire bundle that runs above the fuze panel. I didn't see much else up there that was an obvious place to plug anything in. It is possible that yours was put in using a different color tape. There is a note in the install instructions if you have the fog lights that the connector is in a different location. Do you have fog lights?

IMHO the keyless entry is a great add.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • mkroftmkroft Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new Fit Sport a month ago and need to get a bike rack. I had a 2" hitch type on the Subuaru Outback I got rid of and want the same type, but in the 1.25" size. I wonder if it'll be necessary to trim or remove the rear ground effect trim that hangs below the car?

Also I'm curious to find out what anyone may have purchased for the rack itself. The one for the Subaru is heavy and I found one online that's easier to load the bikes on and is lighter. Please let me know what brand/model you may have purchased and any comments about it. Here's a link for the one I'm leaning toward: http://www.bikerackshops.com/SARTHELMA.html
  • ehoward92ehoward92 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I have the 1 1/4" hitch on my FIT and I am using the hitch and bike rack at the links below:

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Honda_Fit.htm

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-wmc~TH917.htm

BTW - etrailer is a great place to buy. You get free shipping on orders over $150 and great prices.

It works perfect with no clearance issues and I love it. I'm at work right now with my bike on the back of my car so I can ride directly after work. This is the best car I've ever bought. Love the subie and had a Forester before the Fit but the economical benefits of the Fit far outweigh the costs. The hitch rack works awesome.

Cheers,
    Esther :shades:
  • sportyfitsportyfit Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2008 Honda Fit Sport and I was wondering what bike rack options were available? I know that there are hitch options, but I would hate to put a hitch on my car, and I am not too keen on roof racks either.

How about trunk racks?
    Interior racks?

I know there are complications with the spoiler being at the top of the hatch, and I was hoping there was a way to work around it instead of removing it!
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Might be helpful to look at the Honda UK site and Accessories for the Jazz. Let you see what's available here in UK, at least. We can have a front armrest, towhitch and a roof rack plus other stuff.

UK Jazz
  • mkroftmkroft Member Posts: 4
    I recommend getting a hitch and the type of bike rack that attaches to it. I once had the type that attaches to the trunk (on a different car some time ago), and it fell off while driving! Fortunately no damage. I recently had a Subaru with a hitch and rack and found it to be a great way to go...the bikes are very securely locked onto the car.

I have a 2 month old Fit and am going to get a 1.25 inch hitch installed and buy a "Thelma" model Saris rack...its much lighter than the one I had on the Subaru, and looks to be easy to use. I've checked out both the hitch and the rack and haven't gotten around to getting it done, but need to now that warm weather is approaching.

Here's a link to the bike rack: http://www.bikerackshops.com/SARTHELMA.html

Good luck!
  • ez2beez2be Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone replaced their OEM horn with Hella Supertone or Stebel Nautilus ultra-compact air horns?

Please share your experience.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    You know, I always wanted one of those police car horns. They make that annoying "braaaappp!" sound. I don't think that's an air horn, it sounds more electronic. :blush:
  • ez2beez2be Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the response but I'm really looking for someone who has done a "do-it-yourself" horn replacement on a Honda Fit Sport. I know I'll need to remove my front bumper to get at the OEM horn but I don't know what to expect once I open it up and I really don't want to do it more than once. I've seen diagrams of how the bumper comes off, but how easy is it? Will Hella Supertones and/or Stebel Nautilus horns fit into the existing space? Do either of those horns come with mounting brackets that will work? I seen lots of discussion in other forums not related to Honda Fits regarding whether either of these horns require an additional relay to be installed or whether they are truly replacement "plug n play". There seems to be no clear consensus on this particular issue so I'd really like to hear from someone who has "do-it-yourself" experience with a Honda Fit Sport. Is there anyone out there who can help? Please let me know. Thanks!