Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• mnapuranmnapuran Member Posts: 4
    I have a Stebel on my motorcycle, but that doesn't help you on the Fit :)

I do have a 150db 150psi air horn on my Fit though. Probably still doesn't help you much. :P

The Stebel on my bike did mount to the stock location, so I'm sure it won't be a problem on the Fit. I do suggest wiring it direct to the battery, then use a relay off the stock horn cable to trigger the relay/new horn.

Mike's Blog
  • ez2beez2be Member Posts: 8
    Mike, thanks for the help. How easy was it to get the bumper off your Fit and then back on again? Is the OEM horn easy to access once the bumper is off and is there much space there to work with replacement horns? Did your air horns come with a new mounting bracket that worked on the Fit?
  • ez2beez2be Member Posts: 8
    Mike, I should of looked at your blog before my last reply as it appears you didn't need to remove your bumper since you mounted the air horns in a different location (wiring?). Nice pictures on the blog. You show great instructions/pictures for removing the stock radio and door panels for speaker replacement but don't show or say anything about your new installation. What did you install? Also, where did you get the instructions? Did they come with your new radio or are they from a Honda service manual? I could really use instructions/pictures like that for removing my bumper and replacing the OEM horn. You've added a lot of nice accessories to your fit but I'm surprised you haven't installed the rear bumper applique. I have one on my Fit and am very pleased with the appearance and protection it provides.
  • mnapuranmnapuran Member Posts: 4
    Thanks... I posted some more updates on the air horn today. I wired it completely separate from the regular horn, as I dont want to use the air horn every time (155db!). As for the head unit... I haven't done the stereo yet, thus no pictures. acquiring all the parts, etc. I'm an audiophile and have judged and competed for years. I won't go as nuts in the Fit as I have in other cars, but it will still be a quite nice system.

I have a Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust and Tanabe DF210 springs coming next week too. As for the bumper applique, I didn't really like the look. Guess I'll have to take a look at it again though :)

Mike's Blog
  • cdsdcdsd Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased my 2008 honda fit sport; i want to buy a rearview mirror with compass and temperature for my car. I really miss having the temp. display.
    does anyone know where i can find one and how it can be installed? Honda does not offer this part. from what i have researched online it discusses two different mounting options and i am not sure what the fit requires...
    i am also thinking of having a sunroof installed; has anyone had a sunroof installed not from the factory?
    i love the fit i just wish it had more factory options installed/ available.
    thanks for any input!
  • zippydog5zippydog5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm also interested in replacing my stock horn, preferably with a Stebel air horn. Unlike a motorcycle installation, auto installations generally don't require the use of the relay. The stock auto horn wiring is usually sufficient, while the OEM motorcycle horns pull less power and their wiring is not up to the requirements of the Stebel. The Stebel is a common aftermarket replacement option for Mazda Miatas, so much so that a replacement kit, complete with a specialized mounting bracket is sold by Thompson Automotive. I was hoping a similar kit was available for the Fit, but I have not found one. I did, however, find a link with good instructions and pictures on how to remove your front bumper. It's in an article about how to upgrade your headlights, which also requires bumper removal. It's at http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-yourself-discuss-do-yourself-repair-maintenan- ce/18926-diy-installing-xenith-xenons-hid-kits.html. I have not had time to pull the front bumper myself, to see what type of room there is, and it may be a while before I can, but I wanted to pass this on to you. And I'm crying here in Tulsa, because we just had a huge hailstorm that dented my hood, roof, hatchback, and doors. My Ford Ranger didn't take near as much damage. I guess Ford is still using the thicker gauge beer cans for sheet metal....
  • wabkywabky Member Posts: 2
    Here is a good guess:

www.dickscottnissan.com/Theft-Guard.aspx
  • arcurlyqarcurlyq Member Posts: 5
    How much does it cost to install the hitch? Is this something you can install yourself or does a professional have to do it? I just called Uhaul and they are charging $105 for the hitch itself and another $95 to install. Seems a little steep to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Advice is greatly appreciated.
  • mkroftmkroft Member Posts: 4
    It cost me $102 installed. I went to a local hitch installer which isn't part of a chain. They do good work and are typically less than a place like U-Haul. If I'd wanted them to also install wiring to be able to actually pull a trailer (which I didn't have them do since towing anything would void the Honda Fit warranty), it would have been $47 more. So, it'd be worth checking around in your area to get some other prices.

By the way, if you're getting a hitch to carry bikes, here's another plug for the Saris "Thelma" rack. Here's a link... http://www.saris.com/p-298-thelma-2-bike.aspx . It's lightweight and much easier to load than the Hollywood brand carrier I used to use with my former car (Subaru Outback). For both the hitch and the rack, I went with the 1.25 inch size, since it doesn't hang down too far beneath the rear of the car, as a 2 inch version would.

Good luck!
  • taximom5taximom5 Member Posts: 43
    (Mods, please feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place!)

I don't want to buy a Fit unless I can get a decent armrest, as my shoulder is recovering from a torn rotator cuff.

How do you know where to get a decent armrest? There are quite a few listed on eBay, but I assume they are there because they didn't work well.

Thanks!!
  • fithawkfithawk Member Posts: 3
    I bought several things from different vender: all season floor mat and auxiliary cable(for ipod) from collegehillshonda.com, cupholder-ashtray from hondapartsdeal.com and window visor from ebay.
    visors are really cheap but wont fit 2008 fit and seller didn't even know what they were selling! hondapartsdeal.com has only some of the things and my ashtray was modified from a civic model. only collegehillshonda.com has everything genuine and they did try them before they list them, they also post video on their web site and youtube for new stuff and installation instruction.
    Their armrest is sold out now and it happened 1 month ago, you can join the mailing list or reserve one by calling them.
    At least they are honest and they know what they are doing.
    How does the auxiliary cable for the iPod work? Our "bigger" car is a 2007 Kia Rondo, which has no iPod plugin, and the FM transmitter we tried works very poorly. I didn't even know they made auxiliary cables or I wouldn't have bothered buying the FM transmitter. (I'm learning, I'm learning...) I'd love to be able to buy an auxiliary iPod cable for Rondo, if they make one!
    As for the iPOD/MP3 player connector, I just bought an auxilary cable for $4.95 at RadioShack. They have a white one specifically for iPods, but it was $12 and I think the only difference is that it is white. The one for $4.95 works just fine...
    Where does the connector CONNECT in the car? The cigarette lighter? The CD player? WHERE? :confuse:
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Well, you can buy an '08 Fit and get an aftermarket armrest or you can wait for the '09 Fit which comes with an armrest. ;)

I would imagine deals on the '08 would be enticing the closer we get to the release date of the '09.

However, my local dealership is completely out of the '08's
    There is a little hole next to the cigarette lighter in the console (at least, that's where mine is in my Sport model). As far as i know, the base model did not come with the iPod jack.
    Seriously though, motorzports.com has them for $149 new.
    Ah--I think we are talking about different things. I wasn't clear--I'm trying to find a way to play my iPod over the car speakers in a car that doesn't have an iPod port (that little hole you were talking about).
    It depends on the car. I believe you have to have an "AUX" button on your radio. If that is the case, an ipod hard wire can be installed. Circuit City does them.
  • ken_manduken_mandu Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone installed those visors that go over the four windows with 3M tape, left and right? I see them on Ebay and was wondering about the quality and results. Looks like they might be the ticket for keeping out the rain. Very annoying.

Thanks!

Ken
    On the sport model, there is a small jack (looks like a standard ear phone jack) next to where the cigarette light is. That's where you plug your iPOD in. Just know that it doesn't charge your iPOD as it's playing.
    Is my post above in the right location? Can't specific threads be started, within "Accessories," or is it all lumped together?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's about accessories, this is the discussion it belongs in.
    "Can't specific threads be started, within "Accessories," or is it all lumped together?"

Oh, that would be SO nice! That would make it much, much easier to wade through info, and people might also be more likely to spot--and answer- questions.

I mean, if I'd bought a visor (sorry, Ken, haven't!), and I was reasonably happy with it, I might not be checking the whole Accessory section every day, so wouldn't see Ken's question,but I'd be much more likely to notice a whole thread about it, and might pop in to add 2 cents!

Would it be very difficult to set specific accessory threads up (say, one for armrests, one for visors, one for audio) within Accessories? Or maybe 4 or 5 different Accessory threads, for example, "Accessories: armrest, Accessories: visor, Accessories: audio?"
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you want to discuss the layout of the forums or how things are categorized, the place to do so is the Forums Software! Your Questions Answered... discussion.
    I'm not about to sift through 2,282 posts, which makes the point precisely. You guys need to change the layout to keep people here. Pass that on, please.
  • marytrary5marytrary5 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone bought/installed this armrest? It appears much more substantial than the others I have seen, plus it appears to have bit more storage. Thoughts? My Fit (Base AT in Tidewater Blue) arrives in about a week or two, and I'd like to order something so it arrives about when the car does. I am open to suggestions on color as well, I'm torn over black/silver strip or black/no strip.
  • wsalcedowsalcedo Member Posts: 8
    I have the same question on the armrest. I've seen a lot of photos on line and I'd like to know where I can buy one. Let me know when you find out. Thanks.
    see post #534. :)
  • blackberry2blackberry2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Fit Sport MT with 195/55/15 tires and want to know if I can sub. 195/60/15 tires. If it is possible, what effect would I encounter? Speed-Miles-MPG? :confuse:
  • jaggrinjaggrin Member Posts: 5
    Can I use the inline jack to hook up my Sirius satellite radio? Is there anything else other than running the antenna to the satellite receiver I would need to do? Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yep thats all you have to do. You will need an aux in cable which can be found for a low price. Of course you will need to find a mount for it.
  • pennapenna Member Posts: 3
    The armrest does not look like a good quality from what I can see. There are others that appear to be much higher quality. The good news about our little Fits is that they are new to the US, but not to the rest of the world. Plenty of after-market stuff available! Much of it is made by Honda but sold elsewhere in the world. I have seen a few websites that have imported some of it. Just Google "Honda Fit" and "Accessories" you'll see a huge list pop up. It will also force the Ebay folks and dealers to start charging reasonable prices for their products-- We can hope!!
  • pennapenna Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone out there purchased the Fit door sill trim and/or bumper applique from a website and installed it yourself? Our dealer says it's hard to do it right and it will begin to bubble if it's not done properly. What experiences have others had? The dealer install price is $$$$$

Thanks!
    Deb
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Appears to be a dealer installed accessory. The 09 won't get it standard. Will be very popular with owners. Includes a storage bin underneath the armrest.
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Deb,

I believe the Rear Bumper Applique is made by 3M in the USA.

Follow the below College Hills Honda podcast for installation:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_fit_accessories/07_08_fit_exterior_access- ories.htm

Regards,
    Bubba :)
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    How's this:

http://windupkey.com/

Regards,
    Bubba :)
  • daveincharlottdaveincharlott Member Posts: 2
    I've had the same thought...replacing my Sport's 195/55R15's with 195/60R15's or even 195/65R15's. I'm not a fan of low-aspect-ratio tires, and with the Sport's low clearance, would like to raise the car up some. But this would change everything based on the tire radius...speedomer, odometer, trip meters, etc. The question is...by how much?

If my figures are correct, changing from 55s to 60s would increase the tire radius 0.32in. This would represent an increase in tire radius of 2.765%.

That means a 2.765% error on all odometer-based numbers. Seems like a high price for such a small increase in height.

Going from 55s to 65s would provide a more noticeable 2/3" change, but now the odometer error would be 5.530%.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I figure MPG would go down in proportion to the increased height. You could multiply the car width by its height and see what kind of percentage increase 0.32" represents. Probably wouldn't be much.

But another thing I've noticed about my Sport is that being relatively tall and narrow, it reacts noticeably to every side gust of wind. Raising the car means increasing its suspectibility to side winds. If you multiply the car length times the new height, the percentage increase would be more. Just not sure its worth it.

Another poster in the Tires forum thought that the TMPS sensors were sensitive to the minimum distance to the ground. I'm skeptical that this is actually the case, but if it is, one more problem for increasing the tire's aspect ratio.

- Dave
  • fitman548fitman548 Member Posts: 172
    Hmm. My fit was one in the batch with bad odometers. Maybe a slightly taller wheel would actually compensate for the odometer error (it was saying I'd gone farther than I had, so now with each wheel rotation I would actually be going a little farther).

And the right would be slightly smoother.
  • daveincharlottdaveincharlott Member Posts: 2
    If I unlock my '08 Sport (factory security system) with the key remote, but don't get in the car, the security system activates by itself in a minute or so.

If I unlock the car with the key mechanically, this automatic reset doesn't happen.

I can sort of see where this might make sense from a design standpoint (e.g., you remotely unlock the car in a parking garage, get distracted, and forget you've left the car unlocked). But the manual makes no mention of this.

Is it normal for a disabled security system to re-activate itself automatically?
    When you say, "activates by itself" do you mean the doors re-lock and the S.S. re-arms? If so, this is normal. My '07 MDX does the same thing if you unlock w/ the fob and don't open any doors. It automatically re-locks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It is designed to relock and re-arm itself in the situation you described. Some models will give the user the option of disabling that, but, IMO, you will want to have that feature. I have, on more than a couple of occasions, accidentally unlocked a previous car I owned, which did not have the relock feature, with the remote (from bumping into the button while the fob is in my pocket).
  • johnalloyjohnalloy Member Posts: 1
    can you tell me where to drill on the fit, or where not to drill to install the yakima racks, yakima said they did not have a spec sheet on the fit, and that i would have to ask someone else, or take down the ceiling upholstery, which i don't want to do, let me know if this is a neccesity. thanks.
  • rainsmoker79rainsmoker79 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a fit, base model. it didnt even come with floor mats. im slowly upgrading (keylessentry, floor mats, etc) however, the honda dealer doesnt seem to have the spoiler in their inventory of accessories. does anyone know where i can find one? i want to get one that goes with the car, and id like it to match the color (electric blue) of the rest of my fit.
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    I posted this in another section of this site, but i'll post here as well since i see you all are talking about customizing.

"Has anybody done anything yet to their fit in the way of customizing? I bought a black 2007 base model about 1 month ago with 2800 miles. So far I tinted all windows except windshield, put in subs, amp, and sat radio, installed keyless entry (yes, the base didn't have it), upgraded to 15" black rims with performance tires, vent visors for all 4 windows, new shifter knob, racing pedals, injen 5" exhaust system, custom spoiler, and I have an injen cold air intake coming this week which will mount behind the front bumper. I def dropped some change on this car so far, but I don't want to look the the others on the road."
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Just bought an 08 fit and have been looking at the armrest you replace the entire console(300 plus dollars), but have seen another one that may work. I believe that 'havingafit' posted pics a couple of years ago. The one that he had installed in the back cup holder like the others I have seen, but has a moveable top which is essential for my wife since she has to have the seat almost all the way forward. I found one made by an Italian company(Wood company) and have emailed them about a local dealer or if not a local dealer, the cost from them. If anyone has this one, let me know where you got it. If I cannot find this one, I guess I will have to get the 300 dollar one and replace the whole console.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    I just bought a 2008 Fit. I always install the tinted plastic bugflector stone-and-bug deflector on the hood of my Hondas... i find they work well to save paint chips from the low nose, and thus, prevent the little rust bubbles so common on the edges of the hood's front. However, I'm surprised to learn that I can't find one ANYWHERE on the internet! Anyone have an 'unadvertised' source, or any source? I don't want to go with a 'bra'. Thanks.
    I'm going to be ordering a bug deflector from this site. It looks nice.

http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=256
  • kittyworldkittyworld Member Posts: 20
    will the hood deflector affect mileage in anyway?
    Not quite sure. it looks like air can easily pass under and over it. Therefore, if it does effect milage, it should be minimal. I put on a new exhaust system and cold air intake which are both supposed to improve milage. So, if i lose 1 mpg do to bug deflector, so be it.