Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• o627minio627mini Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

New to the forums - just picked up my manual 2008 Sport this Tuesday. Loving it! I just put in 1/2 tank of gas and got 31.8 MPG with mostly city driving. Pretty impressive.

To fitf4ife1... which brand of vent visors did you buy? Where did you get them? How was the ease of installation and how are they working out for you?

To anyone else... what is the story with the 2008 Sport and splash/mud guards? Are they really necessary? (I live in the Northeast, btw.) Has anyone been able to purchase/install them? I'd like to avoid another trip to the dealer/expensive OEM parts if possible.

thanks everyone.
  • fit4life1fit4life1 Member Posts: 14
    Here's 2 sites I've ordered my visors/hood deflector from. The visors use 3m tape and literally took me a minute per visor to install. However, the hood deflector took me over an hour. If I had to do it again, I could put it on in less than 5 minutes. As far as working out for me, I love them all. It'll make your sport look even more sporty.

http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=256

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/hondafit20072007wadeautow43444901.html
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    just installed the bug deflector from Zeta
    http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=256

a bit of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], but went on just fine. i think this will do the job nicely.
    seems to be thoughtfully designed and well made.
    While I was installing the bug deflector, I had problems with the 4 side clips popping out everytime I tried putting in the screws. I ended up sanding down the clips a bit to make them fit better as well as applying lots of pressure. They're on now, and look great. My next mission is to install these side molding strips I ordered.

http://www.zetaproducts.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=169
  • bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    Has anyone figured out how to always turn on the Fog lights when the engine is running? They would function as Daylight Running Lights and always be lighted. Maybe a switch could be installed to turn them off, when needed. Thanks..

Regards,
    Bubba
  • theloxmyththeloxmyth Member Posts: 2
    Upon delivery of our new vivid blue, I see that one of the two keys has a shiny "H" Honda logo on it, while the second key is simply black hard rubber with NO SHINEY LOGO " H"!

Is this standard, or did the dealership key one of the two original "shiny H logo" keys and give me a copy?!

TIA
    same here...just took delivery last week. one w/shiny H, one with plain black H.

wife got the shiny H, even though it's my car. :surprise:
  • theloxmyththeloxmyth Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, from "The Burgh".

I appreciate being in the know, and your response ; )
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    I got two keys with the shiny H's, but I bought in July 07. Probably a penny-shaving measure for '08, since they kept prices the same. -Gene
    While a few have proven that it IS possible to order an "Aux" jack and solder wires to each pin on the back of the base Fit's factory stereo, I opted for a different method of connecting the iPod:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=581PA11H2Y&tp=120&tab=de- tailed_info

true, it's more expensive than an Aux jack, but it does have a few nice benefits:

- easier to install;
    - directly wire into the back of the factory stereo via a harness (no soldering.);
    - it will charge your iPod;
    - you can use either your iPod, the factory stereo, or both to control the iPod.
    my fit is an '07. and I have no shiny H's at all. now im feeling jipped,,haha..however, our pepboys has honda keychains that are very shiny
  • wsalcedowsalcedo Member Posts: 8
    I bought mine at the end of April 2008 and the 2 keys look exactly alike with a shiny H logo.
  • fitisgofitisgo Member Posts: 40
    I have 3 08 Fit Sports. I bought the bumper applique from H&A Accessories.com in California for really cheap, about $35 plus shipping or maybe $40. I followed the instructions and installed it on all 3 cars. On 2 of the installs, I did have a couple very small air bubbles, probably 1/16" across. I popped those bubbles with a needle and forced the air out with the scraper tool and you can't even see that threre was evera a bubble. I've seen Honda dealers charge $79 for the same accessory installed by them - don't pay for it, do it yourself and save about $40.
    Well, i've got this installed and I'm VERY happy with it. Charges the iPod beautifully, and I not only have full control over the iPod, but i have some control over it with the factory stereo. Nice combination! I've got the iPod cable going through the 'blank' in the base fit's console that was reserved for the stock Aux Jack in the sport. I punched out the blank and cut a piece of black velcro to fit nicely over the open hole. The wire passes through that and rests nicely in the open console box right nearby, ready for the iPod to be plugged in. I'm very happy with this!
  • fgeneyfgeney Member Posts: 15
    I bought my Fit with the accessory 16" rims and still have the original 15" tires, which are still brand new and have never seen pavement... if anyone is interested in acquiring the Dunlop S37 tires (I live in the Boston area), you can email me at geney at comcast dot net. The 15" rims I'm saving for snow tires.
  • cruzitudecruzitude Member Posts: 5
    Don't laugh, I'm not trying to tow anything with the Fit (though that would look funny!) For my '09 Fit I was hoping to install a 1.25" hitch receiver to mount a bike rack (I do not want a roof rack, nor a 'piggy-back' type of bike rack that clamps to the rear hatch).

I will check auto parts stores for do-it-yourself kits, and if that doesn't pan out I'll check with the local U-Haul to see if they can install a receiver. I'm just curious if anyone here has ever installed a receiver on their Fit, and how they went about it.
  • brianbratbrianbrat Member Posts: 5
    I traded in size from a Minivan with a smaller trailer. When I went to get a hitch for the Fit they had to look at the towing specs for the Fit. There are none. The Fit is not designed to tow anything and if you do you can void warranty (I have a 120 k warranty so this was important to me).
    You can get a tow kit for about $150 plus install (total about 200) and as long as you don't have lights hooked up you should be OK with warranty. This car can do this ok but Honda is just covering it rear end (lawyers have won again)
  • rob22315rob22315 Member Posts: 31
    I've seen them for purchase from etrailers.com. There are a couple of bike rack threads on the fitfreak forums which have pics of the hitch install and rack install.

The install is supposed to be straightforward so don't pay someone to do it for you.
  • fishbearfishbear Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to decide between the Base and Sport 2009 Fit. I plan to put a roof rack on either to carry a small cartop aluminum boat(100-200 pounds). Is there a chance the spoiler could be knocked off when loading onto a roof(if for example the Spoiler is welded on)? Anyone have any comments on this?
  • feddupfeddup Member Posts: 11
    it's bolted on but the only way I knew was I just read your post over at fitfreak.
  • blackejblackej Member Posts: 6
    I installed the etrailer drawbar kit #3593 on my 2007 Fit Sport this summer. I have a 1 1/4" Thule bike hitch that I wanted to use. I just drove the right side of the car over the curb so that I would have sufficient clearance for me to get under the car. It took me less than 30 minutes to install. Not a big deal. Just remember to purchase some red or blue lock-tite to insure that the newly installed bolts do not vibrate loose. It was easy.
    I purchased a vinyl covered armrest (it comes in leather as well) that is a perfect match with the Fit's interior. check out www.woodcompany.com

I think I paid roughly $115.00 and it was very easy to install.
    The best aftermarket cruise control are made by Rostra Precision Controls. They plan to have a Dash Mount Cruise kit part # 250-1896 available 9-15-08 through local dealers. This unit will be more expensive than for most cars and will work on AT transmissions only. The street installed price should be $385 to $625.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the info. I received a bid from the wood company for 109 Euro or about 159.00 including shipping. My concern was how well the screws went into the plastic cupholder and how well it held. My wife told me to hold off for now as she may want the replacement console which is 300.00.
  • 26pt2runner26pt2runner Member Posts: 3
    We ordered a 2009 Fit and hope to take delivery in a couple of weeks. I too would like to install a 1.25" hitch for carrying bikes. There are a number of manufacturers that show 2007/2008 Fit applications, and it does look like it would be an easy install - Hidden Hitch provides installation instructions in pdf format. I do caution you that from what I understand, the 09 Fit arrives with a completely new chassis, so it's likely that a hitch for the first generation Fit may not fit an 09. I'd suggest comparing the installation diagram with the rear underbody of the 09 to see if there is enough similarity to be worth taking a risk buying a hitch intended for the older model Fit. I would assume if you don't actually install the hitch, you should be able to return it in it's original packaging.
    Well, the screws in the cup holder are 3 - 4 inches in length. They really took hold. More importantly, the weigh is not on the back of the arm rest where the screws are, but on the armrest itself. I had it in place for over a year now and have had no issues.
  • jimmyrigggjimmyriggg Member Posts: 4
    Why don't you wire it in to the assessories poztion of the radio, then splite the wire some where add an inline fuse and a switch. its better and easyer to wire in to the wirering that the stock radio uses, than the ignition switch. make sure that you use the regulator or you could have a fire. don't worry about the radio unless you have an aftter market reciever. most people don't know that aftermarket reciever are never the right voltage and resistance, there independence is there for screwy. The best stereo systems out there are wired off the battery as a new circuit.
  • ahm1282ahm1282 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer was going to throw in a pinstripe for free with my 09 blackberry pearl sport. It's black/ silver and has the H honda emblem. Should I get it? I can't decide if I like the way it looks. :confuse:
    1.800.688.0221 is the number for Zeta Products which is located in NJ. If you talk to Angelo and tell them you want the armrest for $89.95 he should give it to you for that price. Tha'ts his ebay price. He recommends the nonfolding one which I got and love. Fits in the back cup holder and is secured with 4 screws. Takes 5 minutes to install. The internet address is zeataproducts.net
  • seabuckiseabucki Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to decide if I want to purchase the '09 sport fit and am trying to figure out why they indicate you do not have the option to install a center arm rest. Does it get in the way of the shifter? Unfortunately there isn't a single manual transmission in WA right now so I can't see if we can just buy one off the net and install ourselves. Hoping someone on this forum may know or at least know who I could ask. I'ved asked 4 dealerships and they have no idea.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I took delivery of my 2009 a couple of weeks ago and have been reading through the manual slowly. I noticed one little thing that bugs me. The 2009 Canadian Sport and LX come with heated mirrors but the US version does not.

Does anyone know if that's something that could be retrofitted to a US Spec car? I live in MN and heated side mirrors would be dang handy
    Thanks for the additional info. I may go ahead and order for my wife as a suprise. There are several ways to pay according to the Woods Company quote that I received. Did you pay with paypal or some other one of the other options? Also, what model is your fit? I would think the armrest would fit in all models up to fy 08.
    Again, thanks for the info.
    I have a 2008 Sports Fit. Is this armrest the one where you lose the use of the rear center cupholder because the armrest fits over it?
    I have a 2007 Fit Sport with Auto Trans and no you do not lose the rear cupholder when installing the armrest.
  • fitinvancouverfitinvancouver Member Posts: 2
    Yes, the Canadian Sport 09 model has heated mirrors, but we don't get the Navigation system or VSA. Living in Vancouver, I don't really need the heated mirrors but would have liked the Navigation ;-(
  • ccaddyccaddy Member Posts: 1
    The center arm rest option is only for the auto tranny model only .
    It would interfere with the shifter (man) .
    I guess their way of making it up to you is putting the fold down arm
    rest on the side of the Sport's seat .
    I bought the armrest based on one of the favorable postings and, although I'm satisfied with the fit, the 4 screws don't really anchor the armrest snugly because they screw into a soft base. I'm thinking of replacing the screws with longer ones but I'm not sure what's further below the surface, whether it's still more soft material. Maybe someone can suggest something better. Also, the posting I relied on said that the rear middle cup holder would still be usable. It's not, because the armrest's bottom fit into the cup holder.
  • gary80gary80 Member Posts: 4
    I installed a "Hidden Hitch" brand hitch on my 2007 Honda Fit. It took about 20 min, involved removing and replacing about 5 bolts. It could not have been easier. It comes with the incert to attach the ball and it has the correct rise to get the ball to a standard hight. I tow a 200 pound 8 foot trailer with 300 pounds of blacksmithing equipment on city streets without a problem. The wiring comes as a kit and took about an hour to snake all the wires to the right places. Everything just plugs in.
    Sorry to hear that the screws may not hold. Did you get the one from the Wood Company in Italy or another one? The Wood Company armrest was the only one that I have found that will ratchet forward enough for my wife to be able to use it. I have not purchased yet, but was thinking about it.
    I think it was a local company, not the one in Italy. It was sold on eBay for something like $86 or $89, with free delivery. But the fact remains that the screws are driven into the bottom of the old cup holder which is a bit soft. I'll see if a longer screw will do. I'll you all know.
  • luvindialuvindia Member Posts: 8
    I have bought 2009 Honda Base AT Model(silver strom) and I'm missing cruise control now. How much would it cost to add it? Who can do it? Want to avoid dealer $$$. I live in northen NJ - any indy who is good on Hondas?

I also want to add Keyless entry and security system - can I do this on my own? Wondering!!!

I like Base model since I'm not into sporty looking cars, I want vanila transportation car. I have 528i BMW for the luxury I need in my life and happy to own both the cars.
  • luvindialuvindia Member Posts: 8
    Do they have a cruise control for Honda Fit 2009? I want to add to my base model? Also do you think it impacts the warranty on the car?? Thanks
  • amadoaamadoa Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2009 Fit Sport yesterday. I knew everything there was to know about this car because I was comparing it with another car (Aveo) I was thinking of buying. I payed for the car in full and $250 below invoice,so I guess the dealer was getting desperate and tried to convince me to buy an alarm system for $800. I told him the car is already equipped with a security system. He then tried to to explain that it did not include the "alarm." I told him no. After we finished the transaction, he made a point to tell an associate to make sure the alarm system in the car was disabled. What a bunch of nobs. I think the dealer will sometimes install additional security systems (maybe tracking systems) and then they try to get the consumer to buy it and continue service. But in this case, the dealer was trying to sell me something that was standard in the car. This is my first Honda; I'm not impressed with any of the dealers I spoke. I had a much better experience with the Chevy Fleet Manager.
    The ONLY reason I bought a 2008 Fit sports is because the base didn't have cruise control, but it cost me another $1,100 for other options that came with the cruise. I think it's a worthwhile investment, though, rather than buying the base Fit and having someone put a cruise in. I don't think it voids the warranty, but you need to call a dealer for it to make sure. Anyway, the added cost included leather steering, MP3/iPod connection, alloy wheels, 2 more speakers, MP3 player, etc.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I didn't think you could disable the factory alarm system. Maybe disconnect the connection to the horn?

For the record, I have generally never been impressed by any sales personnel in any Honda dealer. Generally very unprofessional, in the stereotypical "used car salesman" way.
  • wehnerwehner Member Posts: 4
    The 2009 Honda Fit has a fold up center armrest on the driver's seat only. It's small and too short IMHO. But there is a full (two person) center armrest as an accessory for $246. It is for auto xmsn only , folds back out of the way and is adjustable front to rear. Looks pretty nice and is wide so 2 people can use it OK.
  • wehnerwehner Member Posts: 4
    I just came from a Honda dealer asking about aftermarket cruise control for the 2009 Fit. The dealer said it did not affect warranty and even called a local shop (in Oklahoma) who does some work for them. The shop could install it and charges $500 installed price.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Pop the front wheel and put the bike inside.
  • bobwinterbobwinter Member Posts: 1
    The trailer hitch for the 2009 Fit is available at etrailer,cm
    Delivery is one to two weeks due to national back order of a new receiver.

Installation instructions are available.
  • dhectorgdhectorg Member Posts: 25
    actually, i just bought an '09 fit sport manual trans and had the optional armrest installed. i don't think the transmission matter in this case. although, i should cation you, it's a decent upgrade, but it is NOT as large as you'd think it would be. the storage compartment is barely big enough for my garmin gps.

dg