Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Fit New Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    fittasticfittastic Member Posts: 18
    I couldn't agree with you more! I LOVE the seats in this car! Heck, I just LOVE the car period! :)
  • Options
    bluebell2bluebell2 Member Posts: 21
    With two hairy doggies, living by the beach, and a love for having breakfast and lunch on the road, our Fit's grey seats and flooring were pretty full of lint and crumbs. A small soft hand brush works well on the seats for a touch up. And, what a surprise, the Fit cleaned up very easily when it was vaccuumed on the driveway. The vaccuum cleaner did the trick with very little elbow grease. The fabric seems to release the lint and crumbs as well as it attracts them. :)
  • Options
    scubscub Member Posts: 4
    I've had my Fit Auto since early April. No real issues so far. The auto trans engages with a rather loud clunk at times and I am concerned. Fuel mileage is good, about 42 MPG ( Imperial) for mixed driving. The fuel tank is weenie and after a VW diesel, I seem to be at the pump much more often. I have 2 big and hairy dogs and the HUGE dash is always hairy and dusty. The plastic inside surfaces of the car are easily scratched and don't take any abrasion without showing it. I'm rather disappointed at how "worn" things look, so soon. The rear end is always filthy. My wife bought the roof air deflector thingy, but it doesn't have any function except looking "cool" (?). Older cars had functional deflectors that kept the back end relatively dust free. I'm 6'2" and the driver's seat is too low, too short and not padded enough at the lip. This puts all the weight of my bent leg on my heel. I also have a hard time sliding under the steering wheel and have had muscle spsms in my leg from contorting it. That could have been addressed by a telescoping wheel.
    The AC works well and fast. The HUGE left wiper has defects and will have to be replaced...under warranty. I can't believe the oil life monitor, as at 5,000 kms, it says I have 70% life left. I'll have it changed at 8,000 kms.
    The car drives well, is peppy..even though some famous car reviewers say it has no highway passing poop. That is silly BS. It shifts very well and doesn't "hunt" on steep grades. It's generally a very good car, but probably overpriced with respect to some others. If more people drove cars like this, foreign oil wouldn't be such an issue.
    Steve
  • Options
    cate66cate66 Member Posts: 1
    I am a 54 yr old female who hadn't bought a car since a used Toyota Camry in 1991-which now has 200,000 miles, still runs like a dream,but the body is disappearing all around me.I was torn between a Yaris and the Fit,did my homework,then found out that the Yaris I wanted with airbags would probably not be made until late October. I needed to do something NOW! I ordered a Silver Storm Sport automatic Fit-paid MSRP.I read the "Motley Fool"website about buying new,sent out emails, etc, and found many dealers wanted up to $2500 more than MSRP in my state.I live outside of Chicago and bought locally.I travel alot on weekends as I volunteer and have elderly parents downstate.I put down $500 and 2 weeks later my car was delivered (Monday,June 26th).The only "extra" I got was the extended warranty because I am a high-mileage person and my budget is limited.I got my loan thru Honda, they "met" the interest rate my bank gave me.You can't put mudflaps on the Sport model anyway.I will be buying mats for the floor as the floor needs some cover,and for the cargo cover I am going to wait for an aftermarket product-and one company is going to have a center console with an armrest.I plug my Sensa MP3 player into the aux outlet with a $3.56 connector from Walmart and I have 3+ hours of my favorite music coming thru "nice" speakers.NO IPOD connection for me.I do not need to see the names of the artists on the radio screen.The radio screen is way too big-but glows nicely.I have a call into Honda to see if I add my remote start to this car I want to make sure it will NOT void my warranty.I love the seat though an adjustable power seat would have been great!I have over 900 miles on the car,did highway time this past weekend and was very,very pleased with it.I will come out of stores to find people next to my car saying "What is this?"I've probably had at least 50 people ask if they could sit in the car and they are SO surprised by how comfortable and large it is inside.My Dad saw it for the first time this past weekend and told me NOT to go to a carwash with it in case it would shrink!Then even my Dad was impressed with the steering as I u-turned per HIS directions with my Mom and Dad in the backseat.I wanted a sunroof-my brother said not to add a sunroof as it could affect the safety of this car at this time.My brother also told me that Honda is particularly careful of the first 1500 cars that are delivered because of customer satisfaction and the J.D.Powers rating.(My brother is a former Honda Mechanic).My dealer gave me a full tank of gas and my mileage (1st tank) was 31.5-all local driving.I get free carwashes for life at my dealer also.I am thrilled with my car,no regrets,my only whine is it would have been nice to get floormats from Honda for being an owner of a new model.There's a little part of me that thinks a little blue LED lighting would be a nice touch inside the car-as long as it doesn't void my warranty.Even old gals have to have some fun!!!
  • Options
    jsuessjsuess Member Posts: 8
    I ordered the Honda Sport Fit (Red) in May and took delivery in late June. I just got back from Southern Chicago driving some 270 miles and averaged 38.3 gallons (figure the range should be around 420-440 before it reaches the ' Cosmo Kramer E line'). I had the windows closed and ran the AC ocasionally and used cruise control about 1/2 the time. I even ran into downtown Chicago traffic at rush hour and the car was never a problem.
    The ride was firm but solid; it was very maneuverable and I was able to get up to 80mph at times (just to keep up with the traffic). Getting onto the ramps was no problem; it has enough zip to get me into traffic quickly I feel and I could always use the shifters to ramp it enough as well.

I have a 2004 Civic (and had a 2002 Civic as well); it is a bit more soft in their ride but gets around the same mileage as the Fit. I expect the Fit to eventually get into the 40's once broken in.

Of all the cars I studied for purchase, this one stood out and was, for my family, the right choice. It's worth the price and it's a Honda.
  • Options
    cdnfitcdnfit Member Posts: 7
    I too would like to take off the dealer advertising. Does anyone know how you can take of the dealer advertising decals without ruining the paint?
  • Options
    cdnfitcdnfit Member Posts: 7
    Our previous car was totalled by a deer hit so I couldn't wait for a manual transmission. M/T's are in very short supply in western Canada as I found out after phoning about 10 dealers. We had to replace the automatic transmission on our 2000 Odyssey after 278,000 miles which was quite expensive - so I would really rather be replacing clutches. I was worried that the A/T would be boring, but the super-responsive handling makes driving fun.

Many others complained about no armrest, no dead pedal, and poor low-beam headlights. Personally, the lack of a armrest and a dead pedal didn't bother me in the least. At 5'9" I find the Fit's seats and head rests to be much better any other car that I have driven (no, I have never owned a Porche). And before I took delivery, the dealer raised the headlights a few notches above what they are suppose to be, so they seem fine to me. If I get ambitious I may add some driving lights - fog lights don't seem to make much difference to me.

I just put on a nose mask, cargo tray, and rear bumper applique; and today I ordered a keyless entry and alarm. I'm a sucker for accessories.

I placed some screening (the kind used in screen doors available from the hardware store) in front of the radiator to keep it from being clogged with bugs.

When attempting to check the air pressure of the spare tire I found out that I couldn't unscrew the fastener with my hands. I had to use a crowbar to get some leverage. A little oil on the threads fixed the problem - but perhaps you should check yours before you get a flat.

I guess I should re-torque the wheel nuts - just in case some nut is too tight to remove on the roadside. I don't know if the dealer checks that or not. They sure checked the tire pressures - all 4 were perfect when we took delivery.

Hopefully I can find some 5W20 Mobil 1 synthetic oil - haven't seen any so far. I seem to recall Consumer Reports saying that there is no advantage to using synthetic oil. But we got 440,625 miles on our Odyssey using 5w30 Mobil 1 oil - so I feel a little insecure in not using it. Did the Odyssey engine last so long because of the oil or because it was a Honda engine? I don't know. But it sure wasn't because I changed the oil every 4,000 miles. Well, I did for the first 200,000 miles - and then ... well, sometimes it probably went 10,000 miles between changes.

Overall average mileage for the Fit's first 2300 miles ... 33 mpg. Not great, but better than anything else I've owned.

I feel like I could write forever on the Fit - but I better sleep now...zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    De-badging is the first thing I do when I get a new vehicle home. This time of year, just point the car side with the decal towards the sun for about 15-20 minutes. No sun? Grab a hairdryer, and warm the area as you go.

If it's one of those raised, chrome-plastic thingies with foam backing, use waxed dental floss to get under the edge of the foam, and slice through the adhesive, up against the car. For vinyl decals, I just take my fingernail, and grab and edge, then pull up. This soon after getting your car, it should be really easy to get each letter off in one piece.

Use a little Goo Gone to get any remaining sticky residue off (use a microfiber towel with it, to avoid scratching your paint), and you should be good to go!.
  • Options
    fitcanuckfitcanuck Member Posts: 4
    Quite happy after the 1st month of owning my Fit. After some ill-advised stubborness, I bought the keyless entry (very challenging to carry gear into the Fit w/o KEYREMOTE, especially hockey gear at night when it is dark and trying to find the tiny keyhole). Also have the rear bumper applique (profit for the dealer on this one!), all weather floor mats, and cargo cover. The AT has been smooth and pleasure to drive in traffic. Love plugging in my IPod. Have packed the Fit full with cargo (seats down) a number of times. Just can't fit my mountain bike in the back w/o taking off the front tire. Mileage has been good (30 mpg in 90% city driving). Handling is amazing. Keen to see if there will be roof racks available for the FIT (and like everyone else, agree that armrests would've been sweet to have).
    In Vancouver (Canada), I've only seen about 10 FITS in passing. Quite rare still. Get asked questions about my FIT when they see the car!
  • Options
    dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I picked up my Storm Silver Sport w/AT 2 days ago and I'm loving it! :) I had taken a VERY brief test drive previously but didn't really have a chance to check everything out. I'm a big Honda fan (recently sold my '92 Accord and bought an '06 TL - owned other Honda's previously) so I wasn't worried about liking the Fit. Observations:

- FUN TO DRIVE! :shades: Very quick off the line and darts around like a go-cart - I've had to watch my speed. I've used AC all the time (summer in Tucson) and it still has plenty of power. It holds tight on the corners and doesn't bob and weave. The paddle shifters are a treat, not a gimmick as some have suggested - they really add to the experience. My TL is outstanding in the power and handling categories and I don't feel cheated driving the Fit, which was a welcome surprise. Definitely scores high in the "fun factor!"

- EXCELLENT interior quality. Everything fits properly and looks and feels solid - the glove box has the same weighty feel my TL has. The seats are very comfortable and supportive. Yes, an arm rest would be nice but it really hasn't bothered me. The carpet cleans easily and the all-season floor mats (dealer installed - yes, they need to be installed as other posts have indicated) are a must.

- EXCELLENT sound system for the money - more than I would expect at this level. I've already installed an XM Roady and a Garmin Streetpilot I5 (used a DC splitter in the single 12V accessory outlet) - I got spoiled having nav. and XM in my TL (which my wife drives most of the time) so these were great add-on's. They easily mount out of the way and work great - I highly recommend both.

- The AC blows hard and cold without killing engine power - quite a feat in a car this small.

I'm taking a road trip to Phoenix tomorrow so I'll have a better feel for it's cruising abilities soon. I'll be filling up the tank for the first time this afternoon so I'll get my first look at the city MPG, too. I'll post another update later...

Thanks to all who've taken the time to post their experiences here - it's a big help! :)
  • Options
    ramoramo Member Posts: 66
    I have seen a half a dozen fits on Vancouver Island. Finally saw an orange sport at the dealership for my first change at 11500 kms. Didn't like the orange as much as my blue, now isn't that convenient! Looking forward to trading smug looks with another Fit going my way.
  • Options
    frogdaddyfrogdaddy Member Posts: 33
    Are you going to eventually do away with the splitter? To free up the two connections Aux and Power? Someone else on here installed XM and said they hard wired it or something to free up connections. If you do that or know how please post.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I may end up doing that but I don't really see the need, for my situation. I don't have an ipod (I'm a gadget guy but haven't yet developed the interest I guess) and I don't use a car charger for my cell phone. If I discover another "must-have" device which requires those connections (any ideas?) I'll work it out - 'til then thinking of what to do next on the little beast. A Clear Bra maybe?... Hmmmm..... :D
  • Options
    tguntgun Member Posts: 20
    Wanted to share my initial experience with everyone since I picked up my Blaze Orange Fit Sport 5 speed manual last night from Richfield Bloomington Honda (Minnesota). They also received a Milano Red Fit that was awaiting delivery to another lucky buyer. I originally placed my order in May... my salesperson said that anyone now ordering a 5 speed manual may have to wait as long as December! Ouch!

It was hot here yesterday, 101 degrees F. and very humid. First time in 11 years we broke 100 degrees in the Twin Cities metro. The A/C worked great, I had the fan set at #3, and was not using the recirculated air. No problem cooling in this extreme heat (yes, there was full sun too!).

The Fit ran beautiful, the engine is very quiet and I did not notice any unusual high levels of road noise. In fact, it was quietier than my 99 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab. I did miss being able to see over cars and trucks to see 1/4 a mile or more down the road and anticipate slowdowns.

The 5 speed manual shifted very smoothly, like a hot knife slicing through butter. The only glitch is that you have to be careful shifting from 4th to 5th... you may end up going to 3rd instead if you don't put rightward pressure on the shifter as you are moving it.

I found the Fit to have plenty of power even with the A/C on. I was not too kind to it during the commute home, hit redline once, shifted at 3-4k RPMs, some full throttle acceleration, etc. Same sort of initial break-in I used on my 1984 Honda Accord DX 5 Speed (1.8L) which went over 265,000 miles before I sold it (yes, it was still running and had it's original clutch).

The Fit rode well, certainly a smoother ride than my pickup truck! I thought the radio kicked butt! I will be wiring my XM satellite radio in today. Very easy with the Aux input. The hardest part is routing the antenna wire.

The seats are very comfortable and provide decent lateral support. Guages are easy to read, although the increments between numbers are hard to read (ok, maybe I need glasses, I turned 42 this year!). Plenty of headroom and legroom for my 6'3" frame. I did find the gas pedal a little uncomfortable... good thing there is cruise control for longer rides. Brakes were excellent! Running without the A/C this morning on way to work provided even more sprigtly peformance. I topped off the tank last night after driving 47 miles so I could get a more accurate MPG calculation when I refill after the first tank.

Interior trim and materials very nice, I really like the blaze orange color!

Great buying experience at RB Honda... MSRP plus destination, MN sales tax, and $250 for license fees and documentation. $17040 out the door. I was able to get a 60 month loan at 5.49% and they financed the entire amount (including tax and license). RB Honda couldn't match the rate and terms. They tried to sell me the usual inflated extended warranty (the one they were touting wasn't even an American Honda plan...) along with rustproofing, paint sealant, fabric sealant. I ordered floor mats from College Hills Honda, they were $50 less even with shipping than RB Honda.

Overall, a very satisfied Fit owner. Will report on MPG on seperate forum when more information is available. :)
  • Options
    fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    How about a dark road headlight report when you get a chance?

Thanks.
  • Options
    "The hardest part is routing the antenna wire."

I mounted my Roady XT just to the left of the environmental controls and ran the antenna almost straight up on the dash. I used a small piece of double sided tape to hold it in place approx. 12 - 15 inches from the unit. It blends almost perfectly with the dash and I've had no reception problems. I bundled the excess wire in the forward holder in the console next to the power and aux. jacks. With some cable ties everything is neat and orderly. Just a suggestion - I considered running the antenna back by the radio antenna as I saw someone else did - their pictures are posted somewhere here. After considering all the routing hassles I decided to try the simple route. Let us know how you ended up doing it! :surprise:
  • Options
    Thanks!!

I'll give your recommendation a look see... sounds good to me though. I have installed these XM antennas in my 99 F150, 04 Honda Oddy, and now will do it for the Fit. I can't stand the local FM radio stations after getting spoiled with satellite radio!! Do you know if the XT remote control will work with the older Roady2? I think it should. I have the XT installation kit (Best Buy didn't have any of the Roady2 kits in stock). I discovered that the DC power connector is different between the XT and Roady2 (no problem, I'll use the one from my F150).

Thank you again for your XM antenna installation recommendation. I'll report back with what I ended up doing.
  • Options
    pdjacobpdjacob Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my Sport Fit A/T last Thursday from Van's Honda in Green Bay. Was lucky to avoid the several-month wait by taking a vehicle which was already on order, when the buyer decided he wanted a different color. Coincidentally, his original order was exactly the model (sport), tranny (auto) and color (white) that I planned to order. Assuming it must be fate, I signed the dotted line. After three pickup trucks I really thought the Fit would take some time to get used to. But it immediately felt very comfortable. Interior feels much larger from within. Peppy and smooth, solid ride for a vehicle this size. No complaints with the A/C, even with Wisc temps near 100 this week. The dealer will adjust my headlamps next week, thanks to the suggestions I found in the forums. Too early to comment on MPGs, but I did take a road trip last weekend up Wisconsin's thumb, and took the car ferry across to Washington Island for day of this 'n that. So far I'm very pleased with this purchase. And as gas prices continue to rise (as I assume they will) I will be even more pleased in retrospect. I have to say I did my homework and dug up all I could about the Fit and comparable cars via the internet. The Fit seemed to stand out. And now that I drive one, I share my mentors' enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Here's a pic of how I mounted my Roady XT. I purchased a LoBoy Universal Low Profile Mount from Target on-line and bolted the Roady XT mount to it to get a good viewing angle.

"http://www.carspace.com/dap2006/?50@@.59a9cdb4!photoLoc=.59a9cdba&skipNext=0&su- bmitNext=1&noThumbs=1#pic"
  • Options
    Well that didn't work - I'll figure out how to add a link to my carspace pic and try again... :sick:
  • Options
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting the photo. I mounted my Roady2 XM receiver in the same spot... I was able to use the oval mount that was included in the installation kit, although I did have to screw it into the dash to mount it.

As for the antenna... I ended up mounting it on the roof, right above the windshield center. I was able to use a very small flat bladed screwdriver to gently pry open the windshield gasket and tuck the wire into the opening. The gasket then closed tightly afterwords. I ran the wire across then down the drivers side and under the little dash window (used a plastic flatbladed screwdriver to gently push the wire under the window gasket, had to go back and massage the gasket back into place once the wire was tucked away. Ran the wire through the frame weatherstripping (it will pull lose quite easily), left some slack in the wire and then gently tapped the weatherstripping back into place. You are right, there is plenty of room for the extra wire bundles. I used wire ties to tidy them up and then tucked them above the lowest dashboard panel. Looks like a pro installed it! Great sound quality with the AUX input.

Car runs great, very quiet. I don't follow the Honda manual transmission shift points in the manual... the Fit will accelerate from only 1500 RPM, so I try to shift to the higher gears anytime the RPMS get over 2000 unless I am accelerating hard like when entering a highway. Otherwise, it tools around without lugging the engine at 30MPH in 5th gear with no problem at all. I anticipate this type of driving technique will boost the fuel economy.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I topped of the tank on Monday night after dealer delivery. So far (since the fillup), I have accumulated 145 miles and the gas guage needle is just a hair above 3/4 full. Driving is combination city, highway (typical commuting) sometimes only me, sometimes all 5 of, mostly with AC on, speeds 30-75 MPH. Minnesota has 10% ethanol in all it's unleaded gas (unless you go with a premium high octane blend). This mix is going to change in the next 5 years to 20% ethanol per state mandate. I'll report on the Fit after first fill up again. :)
  • Options
    trapowtrapow Member Posts: 1
    I just got my Red Fit Sport AT after waiting 2 months. I claimed one that the dealer already had on order. It was quite painless and I love my fit.
    First impressions, if you are expecting a sports car you may be disappointed, if you are expecting an economy car you will be pleasantly surprised. I think it has sports car handling but not quite sports car acceleration, although I think it is plenty for normal driving.
  • Options
    livefreelivefree Member Posts: 8
    Just wondering what your impressions are of the Fit now that you've had it for a month. Is the A/C adequate for Tucson summers? Ground clearance OK getting in and out of parking lots? I'm considering a Sport automatic and have enjoyed the feedback from everyone here. I'm much closer to making a decision but still, not having actually driven one yet, am interested in getting as much info from owners as possible. Thanks!
  • Options
    I love it! As I just posted on the "MPG.." board I just went over 30 MPG, all city driving. Yesterday my wife and I drove up Mt. Lemmon, a popular escape from the heat just outside of town which climbs from 2500' to around 8500' over 26 miles. The Fit cruised easily up the often steep and winding mountain road. I really couldn't believe how smoothly the whole trip went - the car didn't seem to break a sweat! :surprise:

And the A/C works great - no problems here. As I mentioned previously on another post the A/C takes a momentary break when accelerating sometimes but it kicks right back in without a hitch - an excellent design IMHO. :)

To answer your other question I'm careful on big dips around some parking lots and I'm also careful around curbs, but that's the same with any lower clearance car - it's not a problem. I'm totally impressed with the handling, ride, and really every aspect of this car - Honda really produced a winner here. I have new Acura TL also (which I love) but I find myself choosing the Fit to drive many times - unless I'm in need of a real power/luxury fix, that is. :blush:

In short, with as much fun as I have with this car I'm amazed by some of the posts which complain about drink holder positions, no vanity mirror on the passanger side, and other minor issues. You can always buy more car for more money, but the Fit is an outstanding value and great fun to drive!:)
  • Options
    dave92029dave92029 Member Posts: 2
    I contacted the dealer just after a customer gave up on the wait for a Silver Storm m/t Fit. I wanted whitle a/t but didn't want to wait so I agreed to take what was available. A week latter I got the call that my car was in.

I put on about 300 miles, mostly city driving and I'm delighted and surprised. The fit and finish is amazing for a car at this price point. The quality of the materials and the assembly as only Honda can do it.

The car is much quicker, quieter, and better riding than I expected. Yes, the Fit has exceeded my expectations in almost every way.

I filled the gas tank yesterday. 8.4 gals for 282 miles = 33.5 mph. My guess is the dealer probably didn't completely fill the tank, and I was running the a/c and idleing while reading the the owners manual, so I'm real pleased with the miles per gallon.

My only complaint is the smell and performance of the a/c. It smells like something is burning and I have left it on recirculate, but the a/c doesn't really cool down the inside so that I don't break into a sweat. I will take it into the dealer next week to look at the a/c.

The Fit looks small on he o/s and feels big on the inside. I sold a Mercedes C240. The Fit is the perfect car for my type of driving. I generally stay within 10 miles of home and use the car to get groceries or carry boxes. The Fit is much easier to load and unload than the Benz, and fun to drive.

There are times I wish I had more power but then I look down at the fuel guage and odometer and smile. Sometimes less is more. :)

Oh yes I'm a 59yr young retired CPA that also has a BMW R1200GS (motorcycle) when I feel a need for speed.
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Congratulations on your new car...good choice on the M/T. Do you have the base or sport?
    33.5 mpg for your first tank is pretty good. I only got about 31 on the first tank, but have been averaging 34-35 since then.

Anyway, I am also in your area, so honk if you see me...Storm Silver base. :)
  • Options
    sakisaki Member Posts: 6
    I've seen several comments about the Honda Fit not liking hills, so we decided to take our new Fit on a test drive. Route was Los Angeles to Solvang via the San Marcos Pass (a several mile drive with a 7% upward grade); then back down Highway 101 over the Conejo Grade (also 7% for 2 miles); then for good measure up and down Laurel Canyon Blvd. through the Hollywood Hills.

Our base MT handled fine on the winding roads and inclines. We even passed a sporty silver Mercedes struggling up the Conejo Grade. There's no indication that our Fit was having any trouble. We had the air conditioning on as well and noticed no strain on power.

I suspect that the AT may have more trouble with hills than MT, but that's just a theory. I'd be interested to hear other opinions about hill climbing from other MT owners.

We didn't get our Fit for hill-climbing; most of our driving is non-highway surface streets. But from our experience so far it's a versatile car and a real pleasure to drive.
  • Options
    Our fit, Bluebell, does very well on hills - AC on with passengers notwithstanding. And we have a real steep one that I have to do every morning, passing the Audis, Mercedes, etc., if I care to with no strain and no big jump in RPMs.
  • Options
    hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    when you go uphill even the slightest incline, does your fit rev and the engine gets pretty loud?
    i have an at.. and whether or not i use the paddles.. it always revs up to 5-6k and makes really loud noises..
    i have a corolla and it takes small inclines easily..
  • Options
    hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    no strain and jump in rpm?
    u have auto? i struggle up sligh inclines..
    it revs up pretty bad..
    i try to get a running start at about 3k rpm 80 mph.. and after a few seconds.. it looses power.. mph drops to 70-65..60.. then it revsw up to 5-6k from 3k...
    pretty weak and annoying..
  • Options
    sakisaki Member Posts: 6
    Nope, we don't have the revving up problem you describe. Perhaps the AT deals with hills differently than an MT (the version we have).
  • Options
    hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    I have no problems going up the hills in my area. There is a fairly steep one that I need to stay in 4th to get up without losing speed, but all the rest I can stay in 5th with no trouble.

base 5MT
  • Options
    fitchgrrlfitchgrrl Member Posts: 21
    I have a Sport AT...just got back from the Poconos...lots of different hills there. I find sometimes my Fitty has trouble with inclines(goes up to 5000-6000 rpms and whines like a baby) and sometimes it passes everyone with ease. I think it depends on what speed/rpms you are already going at. Other then that i can't explain it.
    PS. Finally broke the 40mpg on this trip! Yeah!
  • Options
    Bluebell has a MT. I think I have to agree that a running start really surprises me when I look at the speedometer and the RPMs and see how easily I take the hills. Going up the big hill from a red light is also no problem. The RPMs are never above 3500. This is a very nice car. Just wish the "big guys" would stop thinking I'm about to hold them up when I am ahead of them and the light turns green at the bottom of the hill. Hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    hissyfithissyfit Member Posts: 1
    Have a black A/T sport. Had to have the auto keys, lol. Wanted another color but couldn't wait 2 months or so to get it. Still, it's growing on me. Am going to take her on a highway trip this afternoon and will find out about hills. So far, the only thing I don't like is the horn! It sounds like an anemic baby goose. It should sound more like my 2001 Ody's horn (may she RIP), which was a very loud, pretty obnoxious beep! Had a great experience w/ the dealership. Bought the cargo mat and floor mats. So far, it's been a blast to drive! I love it! :shades: :D
  • Options
    pdjacobpdjacob Member Posts: 7
    I have put 3,000 miles on my Sport Fit A/T since July and have no regrets with my purchase. 34-37 mpg, mixed driving, often w/AC on. Handles great, peppy, roomier than it looks from the outside. Low profile means being careful around high parking blocks and steep driveway ramps once in a while - though my last three vehicles were pickup trucks. Yeah, the horn could be a little louder, and a few very minor interior design changes might please the pickiest buyer. But for the price, performace & gas mileage, I think the Fit is an awesome vehicle. I looked at LOTS of other vehicles before deciding on the Fit, and in retrospect, there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision! :):)
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have an AT Sport. Work is at sea level (west LA) and home is near 6,000 feet (above the top of the I-5 Grapevine). We drive the Grapevine every day (well, as long as it's not closed due to brush fires!). On the steepest part it can do the Grapevine at 70 mph but will downshift to 3rd gear and run around 5,000 rpm. I'm more than willing to slow down to around 60-65 so it'll stay in 4th gear, with the rpms running at around 4,000 rpm. Much quieter, and much better gas mileage. For the uphill parts that aren't as steep, it won't drop below 4th gear.
  • Options
    fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    850 lbs., it's in owners manual

850 lb weight capacity?
    Is that for real?

Does that mean you cant or shouldnt have say 4 guys at 220 lbs in this car?

(Perhaps I am not understanding but this seems silly to me. Thanks for taking the time to anyone who replies.)
  • Options
    Yep. That is correct. You also need to include any gear in it and/or accessories you have added to the car, in your weight calculation. So... 850lbs - your weight - weight of your "stuff" = weight remaining, to divide between passengers, and their "stuff"
  • Options
    Yep. That is correct. You also need to include any gear in it and/or accessories you have added to the car, in your weight calculation. So... 850lbs - your weight - weight of your "stuff" = weight remaining, to divide between passengers, and their "stuff"

Hmmm....never in my years of owning a car have I been in a situation where we would have to do a weigh in so to speak.

Maybe I just never thought about it till now.

Is this typical of a small car?

I rarely drive with multiple passengers.

Hmm....guess I could leave my sister behind?
    ;)
  • Options
    coloradocraigcoloradocraig Member Posts: 14
    The 850 pound limit is actually quite reasonable. If you want to feel better about it, check out the weight limit on the Honda Insight - as I recall, it is in the vicinity of 350 pounds!
  • Options
    The 850 pound limit is actually quite reasonable. If you want to feel better about it, check out the weight limit on the Honda Insight - as I recall, it is in the vicinity of 350 pounds!

Geez, you make me feel like I should go on a diet. (jk)
  • Options
    meandmyfitmeandmyfit Member Posts: 1
    Immediately I noticed the absence of a map light. Why in the world would that not be on a car?

A covered storage compartment in the back of the center console, instead of the third cupholder and open compartment would be appreciated.

Ergonomics: I am 5'4", and the distance to the steering wheel is too far when seated back comfortably so my foot is resting properly on the accelerator. I end up sitting too close, so my arms are not fatigued.

Yes, I agree about the seat adjustments. Was so surprised that it didn't have that jack lever as all the other new cars do.

Because of the distance, it is more comfortable to hold on to the lower half of the steering wheel, but the angle is the opposite of the top and that is a strain on my wrists.

Wish there were a foot rest for the left foot, like on my Legacy.

Gas mileage is a steady 35-36, with about 18 mi one way to work a mix of limited access and city.

Love the windshield and wipers, the radio controls, shift paddles for decceleration, the space for my golf clubs, and storage, the cool fold up seats, the color(blue.) Hope I get used to the ergonometrics, or that Honda calls with an offer for a new steering wheel, an adjustable seat, and a foot rest.
  • Options
    jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    This driving position issue is something that my wife and I still need to resolve before we take the delivery of a Fit. I am 6'0" and my wife is 5'2". I drove a Fit for 10 hours when I rented one in Japan, and I was just fine with the driving position (didn't even realize that there was a seat lifter for the Fit I was in). I am curious, though, how the seat would work out for my wife. I had a commanding view of the road, but then again, I am 10" taller than my wife. Without the seat lifter, would my wife find the seat too low? What is frustrating is that there is no way to check this in advance, since no area dealer has a single Fit available to even see.

When we test-drove a Versa SL, it had a seat lifter, and my wife liked the position that she could get. Right now we have a Fit on order, but the Versa still has a chance to sneak in. The gas mileage and space utility are better with the Fit, but if you are not comfortable in the driver's seat, that takes a lot away from owning that car.
  • Options
    moonchildmoonchild Member Posts: 15
    I can only add my opinion. I am 5'2" also and have no problem with the seat or the view. I do have a small pillow behind my back to move me up just the slightest. At Target I bought a full cushion seat which was too much but my daughter loves it. She is 5'5". She doesn't need it but says it makes the seat more cushy for her. Hubby doesn't like the car at all but doesn't like any car I get for me. He does like the milage though as compared to his Tahoe.
  • Options
    ziggy6ziggy6 Member Posts: 9
    I have had my Fit for over two months now and love it. I am 5'0 and have had no problem with the seating position in my car. I did adjust the steering wheel a little and this helped also. As for the foot rest, I have not found that to be a problem either. Usually just rest left foot by door ledge and this has also been comfortable. I think your wife will like the FIT. I have had no problems at all with mine and average around 36 mpg. Ziggy1 :)
  • Options
    bprendersonbprenderson Member Posts: 99
    meandmyfit,

I solved the Map Light problem by installing a Sylvania DOT-IT Silver colored bright light that I bought for $9 at Linens and Things. It has a 3M adhesive backing that sticks very nicely to the gray plastic square located to the rear of where the view mirror interfaces with the roof.

It has 3 AAA batteries and three LEDs. It supposed to last for 60 hours of continous use!

Here's an example of the light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000CNB6VW/ref=dp_colorn_2/102-6182725-0- 802514?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&childASIN=B000CNB6VW

Regards,
    Bubba

PS If you're interested in stopping ALL dashboard reflections on the windshield go to:

everythingoffroad.com

Camille Williams,
    camille@everythingoffroad.com

877-594-1323

Order the 'DASH Design' model (not the DASHMAT model) for the 2007 Fit. I received the black carpet model and it's terrific.
  • Options
    If you go for the "Dot", you may want to install velcro on the back, before you tack it up there on your mirror mount. In order to replace the batteries, you have to remove three screws from the back, to get to them. Just don't do what my wife did, and cover the screws with the velcro! ;)
  • Options
    egadgetgeekegadgetgeek Member Posts: 2
    Got my Fit back on the 12th and have just over 1000 miles on it to date. I've been quite impressed with the get up and go. I have the Sport with mt. Took a short road trip this pass weekend with the family. Two adults in front two kids in back with full load of luggage. Highway cruising was great. Was able to pass with no problem. My previous car was a Dodge Intrepid SXT with 3.5 high output V-6 and the Fit tacs a little higher but can still run 80 without a problem. Still waiting for the mpg to go up but I can seem to slow down.
This discussion has been closed.