Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Addressing the Fit's shortcomings

Comments

• bing8bing8 Member Posts: 11
    anotherscott,
    After some checking, no aftermarket here in this city would add cruise to the drive by wire (electronic throttle) Honda Fit. 3 dealers tell me they can't add it either.
    There must be another way to add cruise to the Base Fit. $1300 to upgrade to the Sport just to get cruise is quite expensive. I believe Cruise is a safety feature and a ticket saver.
    Bing
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Talk to the dealer about removing the ground effects and 15" alloys from a Sport Fit, for a significant discount. The dealer oould add the parts to a base Fit (of course, the color would need to be compatible) and jack up the price of that car. The wheels from that car could go on your car. Then you would have the really useful features of the Sport (cruise, remote locking with alarm, better stereo, fog lamps, rear spoiler, paddle shifters on the automatic) and save some bucks.
  • anotherscottanotherscott Member Posts: 93
    Ah, yes, the drive by wire does potentially throw a kink into aftermarket cruise controls.

What about ordering the various genuine Honda cruise control parts from the parts dept (i.e. the same parts they would use to repair a Sport), and installing them into the Base? Logically it seems feasible, though I have no idea what the cost would be.
    Keep in mind the hand controls are embedded in the steering wheel.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    I'd already seen a base Fit briefly, but recently I had a lot more time to go sit in a Fit Sport (did a little car-shopping/dodging of slick dishonest car salesmen today), I'll add the following observations:

-- Lack of a dead pedal isn't just a little bad, its inexcusable. You just can't get your left foot/leg to go where it WANTS to go in this car. What in the world was Honda thinking?? :confuse:

-- Yeah, the lack of a seat height adjuster is definitely going to be a problem for a lot of people, namely shorter drivers. I'm 5'10", but have the torso of a 6-footer, and sitting the driver's seat, I was thankful I wasn't any shorter. The front seats are definitely LOW.

I'd have a hard time believing anyone under 5'8" will like the view/feel they'll have, the effect is a bit like sitting in a deep bathtub.

-- In person, the 'electric blue' color is a lot better than in photos, mainly because its a bit darker than you might think. Still a bit kiddie/outrageous, but liveable.

-- Watch out for the 'stealth' markups, they're definitely there on this car... the dealership I went to had apparently sold the the Fit I looked at to a sucker... er, I mean buyer who'd gone with the 'Xzilon' surface treatment they'd been pushing... $700 for a treatment that was 'like liquid glass'. When I gave the salesguy a look that registered my disbelief at this, he said that other dealers charged $1000 for it. So I guess there's 'rip-off' and then there's 'super rip-off', lol? :surprise:

-- Still, was impressed by the car as a whole. The load floor in back with the seats folded is SUPER low, there's ALL KINDS of space in there. The headroom is great all around (though the front seats seemed just a tiny bit narrow), and the quality of the interior (aside from the thin carpeting) is quite impressive. Also, the Fit Sport alloy wheels look absolutely great up-close, hadn't thought so from the photos.

I'm definitely interested in this car, but I might take a pass 'till the next model year, when Honda may have fixed the dead pedal and seat height adjustment issues (not to mention the sad fact that only one color of Fit Sport offers the tan interior).

Good luck Honda, let's hope you make the 2008 Fit all that and a bag of cheetos. :D
  • waltersbgwaltersbg Member Posts: 28
    "-- Lack of a dead pedal isn't just a little bad, its inexcusable. You just can't get your left foot/leg to go where it WANTS to go in this car."

You certainly aren't the only one who feels that way. I mean it's both good and bad that Car and Driver listed the lack of a dead pedal as one of the two biggest things wrong with this car. The good news is that things must be pretty good overall if the lack of a dead pedal is one of the biggest flaws! The bad news is that the lack of a dead pedal is important enough to enough people that it really makes a difference that there isn't one.

On the other hand, I can't be the only one who wouldn't have even noticed this "flaw" if it weren't for reading messages about it. I'm not sure if my CR-V has a dead pedal or not -- because I never use it. My foot naturally rests on its side in front of the clutch. If I ever feel the urge to put it flat in the Fit, I just put it to the left and slightly under the clutch pedal. So, in fact, I can get *MY* left foot to go where it wants in this car. :)

"I'd have a hard time believing anyone under 5'8" will like the view/feel they'll have, the effect is a bit like sitting in a deep bathtub."

Maybe it's because we used to own a del Sol that I don't see the seating height as all that problematic. We definitely sat lower in the del Sol. I think some people are freaked out that they can't see the hood, but that's not going to change unless you stand up.

I know that this issue is important enough that some people are passing up the car because of it. But, I also wonder if they'd actually end up in nearly the same place with the seat after playing with a height adjustment. I think it's the lack of a CHANCE to adjust the seat that is bothering people more than the lack of actual additional seat height. People feel like they want more height, but I think they'd find that the view is not improved with more height and that any leg comfort gained by going higher would be offset by a feeling of crowding under the steering wheel.

Still, I bet Honda gets the message and puts something on the 2008. I'm not sure if the European Jazz has "refresh mode" for the front seats or not. If they do, then that means that Honda has a way to do both a front height adjustment and refresh mode.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "I'm not sure if the European Jazz has "refresh mode" for the front seats or not. If they do, then that means that Honda has a way to do both a front height adjustment and refresh mode."

I think Japan, Canada, and the US are the only countries to get "refresh" mode. For some reason it is not available in Europe, which is odd because the seats are the same as everywhere else. However, the driver's seat-height adjuster is available in Europe. Japan has both refresh mode, and the height adjustment feature.
    "I'm not sure if my CR-V has a dead pedal or not -- because I never use it."

Funny that you should use that example, because I drive a '99 CR-V, and it DOES have a dead pedal and I find myself using it CONSTANTLY. And yes, it really does help. ;)

As far as people being freaked out solely by sitting low, that's not really it, in my experience. It was more a combination of sitting low plus being in a car that felt like it had a slightly high beltline wrapped around you. Haven't driven a del Sol, but from what I've seen of it, it certainly isn't a 'tall' car.

However, the Fit, when you sit in it, does feels like a tall car a bit, its that COMBINED with the low seating that I think makes short drivers yearn for a seat height adjuster. What is odd to me is that its a feature that was on the Jazz elsewhere in the world, so why was it stripped for the US market? Curiouser and curiouser. :confuse:

Whatever the case, its a simple, relatively low-cost feature that a suprising number of people seem to be citing as a 'deal-breaker', regarding buying a Fit. That to me seems sad, as the car is good in so many other ways, but I guess if I were 5'6", I could definitely see their point.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    It looks to me like the U.S. seats are up as high as they can go(!) with the adjuster. They may have just decided to give us the highest setting as the only option.
    I've mentioned this before but the issue with lack of a seat height adjuster is, for me at least, not the height of the seat, but the relationship of the seat bottom relative to the steering wheel. In order to be comfortable in the Fit, I'd like the front of the seat bottom angled up a little more, or the ability to telescope the wheel. The overall height of the seat is fine. The way it is, I can choose between having good thigh support, or having the wheel a comfortable distance from my body. The ability to raise the seat would provide better thigh support, allowing me to move the seat closer to the steering wheel. Or if there would be a way to adjust the angle of the seat cushion, as can be done in cars like the Accent, Reno, and Rio, that would do the trick also.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    "I think it's the lack of a CHANCE to adjust the seat that is bothering people more than the lack of actual additional seat height."

You may be right, but for my 5'1" cousin who thought the Fit was otherwise the perfect car for college, the driver's seat was like sitting in a bathtub. That was the deal killer for her. She's now considering the Yaris sedan (didn't care for the tinny hatchback). Honda doesn't need brain surgeons to figure out that nowadays customers expect a seat height adjuster (NOT a 8 way power seat) as standard equipment on EVERY vehicle.

For 2008, I hope Honda doesn't make things more absurd by limiting the $25 seat height adjuster to the more expensive Sport. I think a seat height adjuster should be part of the standard "safety for everyone" package.
    "You may be right, but for my 5'1" cousin who thought the Fit was otherwise the perfect car for college, the driver's seat was like sitting in a bathtub. That was the deal killer for her. She's now considering the Mazda3. Honda doesn't need brain surgeons to figure out that nowadays customers expect a seat height adjuster (NOT a 8 way power seat) as standard equipment on EVERY vehicle.

For 2008, I hope Honda doesn't make things more absurd by limiting the $25 seat height adjuster to the more expensive Sport. I think a seat height adjuster should be part of the standard "safety for everyone" features."

Your cousin's experience appears to be a fairly common one among short Fit test drivers, unfortunately. :(

And that's a very good point you make about proper seat height/visibility being part of safety, especially in places like parking lots. Like you, I hope they fix it for the 2008 model, and across the entire line, Sport AND Base.
    Backy, you can buy seat cushions that angle, like this one:

http://www.feelgoodstore.com/ViewProducts/SeatSupportCushion/560.aspx

It sounds like you would use it the opposite direction from how they show it... if I understand correctly, you want more seat height as you approach the steering wheel.

Anyway, this particular seat cushion is angled, from 1" of additional height to 3" of additional height.
    I suppose it is worth a try. But I'd need to invest $25 and try it out before I plop my money down on the Fit. I don't want to sell a car a few days after buying it like one short-time Fit owner did.

Amother option is to buy a car with a good driving position, or wait until Honda comes to their senses.
    re:

but for my 5'1" cousin who thought the Fit was otherwise the perfect car for college, the driver's seat was like sitting in a bathtub. That was the deal killer for her. She's now considering the Mazda3.

While I'm sure the Mazda3 is a nice car too, if the Fit was "perfect" except for the seat height, one could consider just buying a seat cushion for some additional height.
    "While I'm sure the Mazda3 is a nice car too, if the Fit was "perfect" except for the seat height, one could consider just buying a seat cushion for some additional height."

I dunno... wouldn't that tend to put your hips and tush above the seat's side bolsters, which are supposed to keep you put during hard cornering? Not to mention support/firmness issues on long drives. :(

Yeahhh, Honda should just put a height adjuster on it and be done with it. :D
  • reddwoodreddwood Member Posts: 2
    Manual transmission needs to be a 6 speed.
    Carpeting cheap
    Removed drivers grab handle to keep from hitting head.
    Removed front of center console to give more leg side room.
    Traded a 03 ECHO in lost 5 mpg in lieu of 'more room'
    Other than that , I will adapt and get by.
  • pmanzipmanzi Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a Fit sport and it was great but for one important thing- the visibility is poor. Even with the rear seats down and one headrest removed, there was a tiny space for the rear window. I can't imagine you could see anything with two passengers in the back. I test drove a Scion Xa and it had much better rear visibility. I sat in a Toyota Yaris ( it was sold so I couldn't drive it) and that had better rear visibility. The performance of the Fit was great on wet roads at 65 mph and a good breeze of 18-22 mph. I don't know if the base model would feel as solid, though. The Fit wasn't cheap with a list price over $15,000. The Yaris would seem to have an edge there, plus it has been around longer and in more volume than the Fit.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    The only difference between the Fit Sport and the base model from a performance standpoint is the tires. 195/55R15 on the Sport and 175/65R14 on the base. Other than that, everything (engine, transmission, suspension) is identical, so it should feel as solid. I know mine drives very well in the rain.
    C/D mentioned the poor rear visibility in their review, as one of the two major cons (the other for them was lack of a dead pedal).

The Yaris is a new design, the Fit is six (?) years old--so actually the Fit has been around longer. Comparably equipped, the Yaris is pretty close in price to the Fit, but the Yaris starts out much less because stripped models are available (at least in theory).
  • shneorshneor Member Posts: 66
    I found a 64 oz. contaiber of Novus #1 on Ebay for $10.99 plus shipping. It should arrive today.
  • cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    Talk to the dealer about removing the ground effects and 15" alloys from a Sport Fit, for a significant discount. The dealer oould add the parts to a base Fit (of course, the color would need to be compatible) and jack up the price of that car. The wheels from that car could go on your car. Then you would have the really useful features of the Sport (cruise, remote locking with alarm, better stereo, fog lamps, rear spoiler, paddle shifters on the automatic) and save some bucks.

If anyone found a dealer that would do this, I would drive there tomorrow and buy it.

I've mentioned this before, I've been getting conflicting info regarding the removability of the spoilers. Honda customer service says "yes" while the 2 dealers I've asked say "no", and act very befuddled when I ask them. They seem to not like questions that may result in them having to do anything.

I would even pay full MSRP for the Sport if I could get it with the spoilers already removed.
    "while the 2 dealers I've asked say "no", and act very befuddled when I ask them. They seem to not like questions that may result in them having to do anything."

Obviously because Fit demand is exceeding supply currently, and if they can sell all the Fits they can get their hands on with ease, they figure "Why should we lift a finger or go the extra mile? Someone else will snap it up if you don't want it as is." :(

I wouldn't expect their 'tude to change until the supply-demand ratio changes significantly, or you offer a lot of money to have it done. Dealers are pretty simple beasts. ;)
  • davev1davev1 Member Posts: 14
    Has any one moved the drivers seat back? :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I would also pay full price for a sport without spoilers.

Honda missed the boat here. It would have been easy to make the spoilers dealer installed so everybody got what they wanted.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I like the way you think. :)
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Dead pedal? Are you serious? I've got them and never use them. I just don't see the point.

Seat hieght adjuster? My wife is 5"3 and she loves the Fit and the driving position.

What's really annoying about the Fit is:

-cup holders need to be 1mm closer together.
    -rear seats need to have 5mm more legroom.
    -cargo area needs 2mm more width.
    -engine needs just 1 more hp
    -windows roll down to fast.
    -windows should have a crank option, many people prefer to crank.
    -auto adjusting mirrors move to slow.
    -seats aren't flexible enough, not allowing maximum versatility.
    -supension needs to be stiffer, feels soggy.
    -steering need to be quicker.
    -There is no "On Star". Can you believe this??
    -radio display is a 1/4 lux to bright.

yep, this car is crap. I think I'll pass. I think you get my point.

Really? passing on the Fit because it doesn't have a dead pedal?? Those people can't be serious.
    ummm....you might want to try turning on your brights. I find this works pretty well.
    "Really? passing on the Fit because it doesn't have a dead pedal?? Those people can't be serious."

Apparently they are. The lack of a dead pedal and no seat height adjustment seem to be the two most commonly cited knocks against the Fit. Well, that and no center armrest.

Car and Driver also mentioned the lack of a dead pedal as a strike against the car in their review.

While you personally may not use a dead pedal in your driving, apparently lots of folks do. ;)
  • cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    Gearhead, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic until after I got to "Windows roll down too fast." LOL, I was like "come on, this guy is pickier than I am."

I see your point.

Dead pedal/height adjuster is not what is keeping me from buying this car. But other, arguably equally insignifcant, issues are keeping me from buying this car. Issues involving lack of options / forced option packages.

It could be the reason that we are being so picky is that this car is appealing to first time buyers, and first time buyers are pickier. I've never bought a car before. I looked at used for a long time, and got frustrated because I find something right for me. So, I decided that I'd bite the bullet and buy new. I assumed that buying new would allow me to get exactly the options I am looking for. But what's this, can't get cruise without big wheels & big spoilers? (etc). It's disappointing to a lot of first time buyers that want their first car to be "right."

Just a thought.
  • ottertracksottertracks Member Posts: 10
    It is possible that these items could be legitimate deal-breakers for some people because of backs that can't take the foot & body positions stock allows. These people would find the stock positions miserable and not realize that others have strong or otherways compromised backs and don't find this a problem. They can't imagine anyone finding comfort in a seat which leaves them a mess.
    As my grandmother often said "'Everbody to their own taste', said the old lady as she kissed the cow"
    Ken ;)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    The thing that amazes me is that the seat height adjuster and the dead petal are the main things that people do complain about - not much on the ride, power, etc.

Personally, I'm 5'1" and have an arthritic back. I don't find the seats a problem at all. Yes, I would like a bit more height but it doesn't stop me from being able to drive and be comfortable in it. I find the lowered seats in my '04 Unlimited (compared to the '98 Wrangler) far more of a problem because they do affect my ability to see when off-roading. Since the Fit isn't leaving the graded roads, I don't worry about it.

For the first time ever I think I know why someone might want a dead petal. I've never used one (too short, would have to stretch to reach where they usually are), but I find myself resting my left foot at an indentation where a dead petal would go nicely. It really is quite handy to have that there, and I don't care if it has metal or the "carpeting" that they cover the area with (I should protect it, though - gotta get some type of mats soon!).

There is no perfect car. There is no car that fits everyone. The Fit sure fits me and my arthritic back nicely!
    LOL, given all the mention of the Fit's missing dead pedal, you have to wonder if there's an opportunity here for some enterprising 3rd party to step in and offer an add-on DP.

I just want to see it in a catalog somewhere, for the chuckle... "Dead Pedal for Honda Fit, $85.00 USD installed" or something. It'd definitely be a good thing, but I'd still find it funny in a way. :D
  • wvwolfwvwolf Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know of a way to disable the seatbelt chime? I've looked through the manual but can't find it addressed anywhere. While I normally wear my seatbelts, there are a very few occasions where I prefer not to and would simply like to stop the chime from sounding every 15 seconds or so. Every other vehicle I have owned allows this usually through a sequence of steps like turning key on/off, pressing accelerator several times, and so on. I don't want to "fix" the problem by buckling the seatbelt behind the seat - simply turn off the chime portion of the warning.
    Gearhead, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic until after I got to "Windows roll down too fast." LOL, I was like "come on, this guy is pickier than I am."

I see your point.

We love our Fit. As a matter of fact, I think Honda dang near reached vehicular perfection with the Fit. Performance, utility, price and mpg all add up to a 10 out of 10 in my book. We also have a Ridgeline which is also a superb vehicle and fun to drive, but I think I still find myself reaching for the Fit keys more often.
    When competitors beat the Fit on driving position and feature content and compact cars beat it in fuel economy, the Fit isn't quite perfect. It has the handling, cargo-space versatility, and powertrain performance parts down cold. But perfect? I don't think so. But I don't expect perfection from a $15,000 car.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I also believe the Fit to be the near perfect car for me.
  • speeden71speeden71 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with you 100%. I think it will be great for a second car. I am 5' 5", test drove the MT and AT and now have a blue Sport AT on order.

Oh, don't forget the tires need to be blacker the wheels rounder!

Speeden71
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    Perfection comes when the Fit has the height adjustment, center arm rest, dead pedal, better gas mileage that is much better than the current new civic, and a hybrid model :D
    And that's great you have found the near-perfect car for you. But I don't know of amy other discussion in Town Hall called "Addressing the [fill-in-the-blank]'s shortcomings"--do you?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I was surprised when they split this one out. Every vehicle has shortcomings - some that matter more to me than others. I didn't see any category about the shortcomings of the Tacoma, and that's the only vehicle I've ever owned that I intensely disliked. I could go on and on about the "shortcomings" of the vehicle the Fit is replacing (and that I'm having a hard time getting off the dime and selling, I really am very attached to it). But if someone were to address my other vehicle's "shortcomings" (noisy, stiff suspension, bouncy, skittish handling) you wouldn't be able to take the top down and go off-roading.

I don't see the Fit's "shortcomings" as disabling as that Tacoma I had!
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Thank you, thank you very much.
    "When competitors beat the Fit on driving position and feature content and compact cars beat it in fuel economy, the Fit isn't quite perfect. It has the handling, cargo-space versatility, and powertrain performance parts down cold. But perfect? I don't think so. But I don't expect perfection from a $15,000 car."

Well said, and I tend to agree. The Fit is a very good car. But PERFECT? No, not quite.

But if Honda addressed a few of the car's honest shortcomings, the Fit might then be pretty darn close to perfect. :shades:
  • wvwolfwvwolf Member Posts: 4
    Since individuals vary in their likes and dislikes, there can never be a perfect car - only a perfect car for a particular individual. To even come close to universal perfection a car would have to be both short and long, muscular and thrifty, loaded and stripped, etc, etc. It's a moot argument.
    Keep in mind the Fit is in its first generation, and is at the end of that generation's lifetime. The next Fit will undoubtedly be closer to perfection. :)
    That all of the gripes are fixable things or items which are available in other countries(so the parts exist).

They just did a "GM" on this one - shipped us a Japanese model without switching anything over except for the steering wheel and pedals.

No maplight and no seat height adjuster, which are no-brainer items makes people wonder. I think if the Sport came with those standard, people would be happy as a clam. The Sport, though, is Scion-esque bling. Nothing at all is better or addressed so far as the interior goes. Well, nothing other than an input jack for their stereo(I can find $120 stereos that do this now) and cruise control.

I'd gladly trade the 1.5L engine for the 1.3L engine, go a lot slower, but have a fantastic interior for the same price. Oh, that and the Fit is about $2K overpriced.

That I can buy an Accord Value Package for $16,300 including delivery(check CarsDirect if you don't believe me), it's clear that Honda is falling for GM and Ford pricing pitfalls. I saw an Accord for $24K yesterday with the 4 cylinder engine. Every option you can imagine.

And I saw an Accord with no options for $16K. That's a 50% markup for accessories with no change in the machanicals. That verges on being usurous, in fact. I also saw $20K Civics, depsite the fact that it's clearly a $14K car that Honda is pricing at silly levels.
    Just the fact that we're having this little back and forth about whether the Fit is perfect or not speaks volumes about the quality of this car.

-It's sporty, but yet fuel thrifty and addicting to drive.
    -It's little, yet huge on the inside.
    -It seats 5, yet transforms into a flat cargo floor to carry most anything.
    -high quality looking on the inside, yet only $16,500 (sport/auto)

If any vehicle comes close to being 2 opposites at the same time, it's the Fit.

.........but screw it, it doesn't have a dead pedal.
    What is interesting to me is that people love the rock-solid dependability and high quality of Hondas, yet are unwilling to pay for it.

A $24k Accord I4 is only "usurous" if you buy one, at full price. Discounts are available, and other cars are available for much less money. No one is forced to buy a Fit, or any Honda.
    Considering that the same car without a suroof, alloys, GPS, leather, and so on is $16,300? That's a very pricey luxury trim level. Only GM has the chutzpah to pull off a 50% price gouge for accessories - at least until Honda decided that it could charge crazy prices, too.

But it looks like my car's going to be a Civic GX. $1 a gallon to fill up at home(yes, the appliance is $3500, but sells used for a fraction of that) I'm going to be saving $150-$200 a month in fuel alone. Free carpool lane access is a minor concern. Natrual gas prices are heavily regulated and dirt-cheap. Plus, there's no need to deal with gasoline at all. Let it get to 4 or 5 dollars a gallon - just makes my choice all the more attractive.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    -high quality looking on the inside, yet only $16,500 (sport/auto)

The price of a Fit is a shortcoming.

Only $16,500? That is no bargain compared to a NEW 2006 Accord LX Automatic for $17,799! 12 May Grand Honda Specials
This discussion has been closed.