Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit v. Scion xB

2»

Comments

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The base model ha a few inches less turning radius, and a little less weight(steel 14" weigh less than the alloy 15s.

Now, if they really *would* make a proper Sport version...
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    The "few inches less turning radius" and "less weight" are inherent differences that are expected to be found between two trim levels of a car and with different size wheels. Of course, those differences are not that significant...about 40 pounds less for the base with 0.1 feet less turning radius.
    What I was refering to was Honda actually equipping the Sport with a better engine/transmission or improved suspension...which is not the case.

I think part of the issue is that the person who posted this tested the two different transmissions and assumed the differences were related to the car. Not surprising he liked the Sport better. It had the manual!
    Well, that does make sense. Honda makes nice manual transmissions for the price(it's not BMW, but it's certainly not GM). And the car moves much quicker with it if you wind it up properly.
  • slrmanslrman Member Posts: 2
    I think that all in all the scion xB is a much better car that the honda fit. It drives better, and looks alot cooler.
    You mean like the lack of a cup holder for the rear seat? The fact that the interior has the appeal and feel of Tupperware?

The list of differences between the two adds up to a major win for the Fit.
  • bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    First time on this board. Looks to have been started before the 2008 xB came out. If you live in, and stay pretty much confined to, a major urban area, a Fit with Auto tranny may be as good a choice as the new xB. It's cheaper, although still pricey IMO, but a Chevy Aveo is even cheaper yet, if we want to go that way. The 2008 xB is ten times the car the Fit is. Ok, maybe not ten times. The first week the Fit came out I checked out both trim levels at a local Honda dealer. Neat little car!! Would have been interesting to compare to a 2006 xB, especially in an urban setting. Not so compared to the '08. Just like the 2008 xB cannot compare to CRV EX AWD. Or even an Element EX AWD, for that matter. Peace... :blush:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    With a 5-7 MPG difference in fuel economy, and a curb weight over 500 pounds heavier than the Fit (and an engine something like 50% larger), it would seem the the xB and the Fit aren't the close competitors they once were.
  • johndintexasjohndintexas Member Posts: 18
    After researching and test-driving cars for the past 3 months, it came down to the Fit Sport 2007 and the Scion XB 2008. I wanted a Fit Sport over the regular Fit to have the cruise control and power features, plus alloy wheels -- I mean, it's not much more for the Sport model, when you're thinking of paying thousands of dollars, anyway, to have those conveniences. The Scion XB 2008 was of interest because of the standard safety features (ABS, front air bags, side air bags, traction control, stability control, and tire pressure monitor); what other entry level cars for that price comes with those safety features? Practically, none. However, my wife and I decided on a Fit Sport instead. Here's why. I hope this helps any of you out there in the same predicament.

As the editor of Edmunds.com has stated in his blog, the 2008 Scion XB is not comparable to the earlier Scion XB models. It may have the same name, but it's not a compact car. It's heavier, and so gets less gas mileage. If you compare it to small SUVs, which you should do, it's a great option. It's more like a small SUV. And it has the dependability of Toyota, and not only that, but it comes standard with all those earlier mentioned safety features. All that is great, if you want a small SUV!

However, we decided on a Fit Sport because it gets much better gas mileage, and it has very good safety features as well. It comes standard with ABS, front air bags, and side air bags. Not many entry level cars offer ABS and side air bags as standard (of note, look at all the USA made entry level cars, and look at how may offer ABS and side air bags standard; you won't find many; they'll be listed as options, and good luck finding them available at the end of the model year). So the difference was traction control, stability control, and tire pressure monitoring. Well, I decided that I could monitor the tire pressure myself, and for traction control and stability control, although they are very desirable, because the Fit is lighter than the Scion, I decided they weren't as necessary. Of course, I would like those safety features, but because the Fit is so light and nimble, I figured it'd drive well enough without them -- I mean, what more do you want for an economy car.

And that's the difference right there: the 2008 Scion XB, I think, is no longer an economy car, whereas the Fit is. The Fit costs less, as well. And if you get the Sport model, you get an alarm and alloy wheels included, which would cost you extra for the Scion, about $500 for the alarm and about $800 for the wheels, if my memory is correct. So, for the price, the Fit won.

And of last note: while the Scion drove much smoother than the Fit, it did have some blind spots due to the pillars in the back. So I decided over better visibility over a smoother ride. I'm sure the Scion would be a more comfortable drive over a cross country road trip, but the Fit, for everyday city driving, won out. Not to mention the variability of the Magic Seats, etc. It's a smaller, cheaper car, but in the end, it seemed like more car.

It depends on what you want. And as an aside, the 2007 Scion XB was not in the running because it received a poor rating on side impact crash tests, and I do not see a reason in 2007 why anybody should purchase a vehicle with so many options available that received a poor on such a test. Why risk it? The crash may never happen, but I'd rather not take a chance.

Hope this helps. Good luck making your choice!
  • marketvictimmarketvictim Member Posts: 1
    i'm living in canaduh, and i really wish the market opens for european and asian cars like these, cause we are left behind here in quebec, caught in the north american market, with the need of BIG cup holder and BIG everything that we don't really need here..import please....im buying an 06 xb, and i even need to import it from u.s.a! how funny........oh b.t.w the 08 xb is a complete disater! and the honda fit is too small and common here... a litte cramped car!!hahah no compete!!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    So if the Fit is too small and the other cars being marketed are too big, what exactly are you looking for? How about the Matrix or something similar?
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    Nobody has posted on this topic in quite some time. I'm looking at 09 fit sport at vs.09 scion Xb. I know they aren't the same but they r priced the same, both being around 18k OTD from what I gather. Just would like to see some updated opinions...
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Nobody has posted on this topic in quite some time. I'm looking at 09 fit sport at vs.09 scion Xb. I know they aren't the same but they r priced the same, both being around 18k OTD from what I gather. Just would like to see some updated opinions...

I don't think you can really compare the xB to the Fit. The Scion xD is much closer to the Fit and I have driven all of these. We bought the Fit because my wife liked it best. Fuel economy is not all that great on a new xB and the xD is actually a bit better than the Fit. This forum isn't to compare the xD tho, so i won't. I found the xB to be large and my wife didn't drive it very far before she lost interest in it as it was too big. We like the Fit, but would like the Fit to have the engine that comes in the xD. A few more HP would be a big plus in the Fit. The Fit does extremely well in the snow with the stock tires. Normally in my area with unplowed roads snow tires are mandatory but the Fit just blasts through the snow. I don't know if that is a factor for you or not. Ultimately it comes down to what you need and like best. The xB has a ton more power over the Fit. The Fit gets far better mpg than the xB. Drive both, and get what *you* like.
  • falvettefalvette Member Posts: 4
    I have an 08 Scioin XB and a 09 FIt. I like both but use them very differently. The Fit is around town and short out of town day trips as it is great on gas. For my long trips I use the XB. The XB has a better ride to me, a lot more room and still fairly good on gas. I really like how the XB lets me sit up higher. I also feel safer in the XB since is came with traction control and the Fit didn't. So when the weather is bad and the roads really wet I"ll be in my XB if at all possible. Overall I really like them both and feel fortunate to get to pick which one I'l drive on any given day.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    It's funny that while the XB is quite a bit larger on the outside, the behind the second row cargo space is equal at about 21 CuFt; however, you do get 5" more legroom in XB and more cargo space when you fold down the 2nd row. So if you're carrying 4 average size people (or 2 adults and 2 kids like in our case), then the Fit seems like a winner based on the fact that you're getting the same cargo space behind the 2nd row, yet are getting a lot better MPG (50% better MPG with the Fit), but it really depends on your needs/uses.
  • falvettefalvette Member Posts: 4
    Your right about the space behind the second row. What I like and need is the space in the XB when the seats are down. I have hauled home full size chester drawers in the XB that would never have made it in the Fit. When the seats are folded down in the Fit I can get my dog crate in and a few more things but not enough for a long trip with the dog, two coolers and suite cases. They are both great cars as far as I'm concerned.
This discussion has been closed.