Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali Towing

racer29racer29 Member Posts: 2
on an older 1997-1999 Tahoe/Yukon what did the factory tow package consist of?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You'll probably have better luck getting a reply from owners if you post your message in Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali.

tidester, host
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Let me weigh in here with a little soap box sermon. The reason to buy a tow package is not necessarily to tow. Some "tow packages" in fact don't even include a hitch! The reason to buy the tow package is to get the life extending transmission oil coolers, better radiator, maybe even synthetic fluid all around (Jeep GC), maybe better shocks, etc. I think that tow packages are almost mandatory if anyone has any intention of keeping the vehicle.
  • obrianobrian Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what fuse ckt. number is for the 12 volts out on the on the factory trailer plug it the 7 wire round plug this is to supply power to the trailer brakes backup battery. Thanks
  • darcherdarcher Member Posts: 2
    I hadn't thought about it in that way but I'll tell you that Toyota does. Just bought a 2007 Rav4 with a "Tow Prep Package", and you can't even start towing with that.
    Supposed to include an upgraded radiator, Fan-coupling, alternator and Pre-wiring. Not sure how to prove any of that! What it doesn't include is trailer wiring harness or hitch or anything that goes on a hitch.
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2007 Rav 4 V6 with the tow package, and how I wish I had found this site sooner. I ve been on the phone with several toyota dealers, most of whom know nothing at all about the wiring harness issues. I cant wait to get the questionaire from Toyota, and let them know how I really feel now. It probably wont make any difference to them now that they ve sold me a car, but unless they do something about it, it will be my last Toyota purchase. This was pure deceptive advertising on their part, and I dont do business that way, nor do I expect it either. Maybe Toyota will do the right thing, only time will tell. This was my first Toyota purchase, and could be my last.
  • wbernhardtwbernhardt Member Posts: 16
    I want to buy a 2003 Yukon with a 4.8 with 3.23 or 3.73 gears or 5.3 with 3.73 gears.

I am wondering if the 4.8 would pull 5,000 lbs or if I should go with a 5.3 liter.

Thank you.
  • kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    Perhaps their brochures and dealers should be more clear, but towing packages have been like this for a long time. Some of them do include frame-mounted hitches, but only recently have more of them included full wiring. The wiring is easy to add, anyway. It is the transmission and engine cooler that are important to have before you start pulling much.
  • kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    It depends how often you are going to pull and how fast you want to go. I had a horse trailer (about 4500 lbs loaded) that I used to pull with an S10 with a 4.3. It was acceptable because of the engine/transmission coolers, but you certainly couldn't go fast with it and it wouldn't have been fun to go far.

Our 2000 Denali has a 5.7 liter and pulled a 6000-lb camper on several trips. It worked that engine plenty hard, esp on hills. I would expect a 4.8 would be disappointing for anything except local pulling with that sort of weight.
  • dtown40dtown40 Member Posts: 18
    I got lucky with this issue and the dealer. When I told them that I wasnt happy about how they didnt make it clear what the Towing Package included, and that I would have to say something about it in the Toyota survey, they promptly installed the wiring harness at NO Charge. It saved me about 175.00 and they knew they didnt explain things like they should have. The dealer stepped up to the plate and made a satisfied customer. Great Job Toyota of Dallas.
  • jojohnsonjojohnson Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased my 2007 XL. I am looking for instructions to install an electronic brake controller. I tow a travel trailer and need to hook up my electronic brake control. Can anyone provide such instructions or point me in the right direction?
  • nitro6nitro6 Member Posts: 1
    HI
    Is it possible to pull a 30' camper with a 1997 Yukon? It has the 5.7 V8 engine. The problem I'm having is when I hook up the camper the front end lifts up and it feels like I don't have alot of control in my steering. Is there something out there that can be added to help level out the camper and keep the front end from lifting up? The camper has a GVWR 9100 lbs. The Yukon has a GVWR 6800 lbs...I also have stabilizer bars cranked out to the max. Thanks for your help.
  • racer29racer29 Member Posts: 2
    you are at the limits towing 9100lbs ..... a weight distributing hitch should help with the front end lift, helper springs on the rear would also be a plus
  • rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    You may want to consider installing a set of air shocks like those from Monroe called the Max-Air:
    http://www.monroe.com/products/maxair.asp?currItem=_level0.mcMaxAirHeader&currSu- bItem=_level0.mcMaxAirHeader.mcHeader&rolloverObj=[object+Object]

I am not sure your exact model (i.e. 4-door or 2-door, either 2WD or 4WD), you may find your exact fitment via the e-catalog from Monroe:
    http://www.monroe.com/catalog/ecatalog.asp

There are many brands and options out there for your application, a set of air shocks or Shocks with coiled over Helper Springs are probably one of the less expensive ways to enhance your Yukon's load capacity and control... I am only using Monroe as an example for your reference. Depends on how much time and money you plan to spend, there are some pretty extreme mods out there...
  • needlenoseneedlenose Member Posts: 3
    Trying to locate a forum here that refers to issues with the Tow Button not working on 2005 YukonXLT 2500. If someone could direct me there, it would be appreciated.
  • mirovskymirovsky Member Posts: 1
    I have a Yukon with a 5.3 L and a 3.42 axle ratio. We purchased a travel trailer and I think we trusted the salesman way to much. He told me that according to his towing guide my Yukon would have no problem. If my truck is rated maximum to pull 6,500 lbs and my travel trailer is roughly 6,300 lbs dry.

I'm talking with the dealership and there are working with me. They have asked to actually weigh the trailer on a truck scale and have mentioned an upgrade of my a axle ratio to 3.73. That would max me out to 7,500 lbs.

Looking for the "real deal" on the towing capacity. If there is anyone that can help my battle the dealership it would be appreciated.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I am assuming that you have a 2008 2WD Yukon. If you purchased the flex fuel Yukon your max towing rating is 6400LBS. If you have regular gas and not flex fuel then it is 6500 LBS towing capacity. Trailering capacity may be limited by tow vehicle ability to carry trailer tongue weight. Addition of trailer tongue weight cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). Even if you go to the 3.73 axel upgrade if you have the flex fuel your towing capacity is 7400lbs, and regular gas will be 7500lbs. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • dandbdandb Member Posts: 1
    What is the towing capacity of a 2008 Yukon XL 5.3L V8 with the towing package. The dealer said that the real wheel ratio was 3.42 (or something like that) and I thought (perhaps incorrectly!) that with the tow package the rear wheel ratio was automatically 3.73.

Bottom line--we have purcharsed a travel trailer with a fullly loaded weight of a bit under 7000 lbs, and will this Yukon work with this size trailer. We will do a bit a traveling in the Colorado mountains, but no off-road excursions.

Thanks very much.
  • boattowerboattower Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 2010/2011 new Yukon Denali XL AWD. Can you tell me if you recommend AWD or 4 wheel drive to pull a 30 foot Sea Ray boat. Currently I tow it with a 4 wheel drive 2008 suburban LTZ. On my suburban I can switch to 2 wheel, 4 wheel low or 4 wheel high. There have times on the boat ramp where I have switch to 4 low because the ramp is wet or full of algae.

Will the AWD on the Yukon Denali XL be able to handle pulling the boat out of the water on steep boat ramps like my suburban does? My concern is on my suburban I can switch it to 4 wheel Low on the Denali I do not know how it works with AWD since there is no switch. Any thoughts?
  • gdallingergdallinger Member Posts: 1
    can I pull a 27ft camper trailer that weights 4750lbs with a 2009 yukon xl with 5.3 engine 4 wheel drive
    Hello Gdallinger,
    The 2009 Yukon XL 4 wheel drive can pull 5400lbs normally. If you get the max trailering package you can pull up to 7900lbs. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ladyarcherladyarcher Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    How much weight can a 1994 Yukon 5.7 4 x 4 safely tow. This vehicle has a Reese hitch already installed with the brake package installed. It has towed a 28 foot Airstream before I purchased the vehicle. I have pulled a loaded (and I do mean loaded) 6 x 12 U-Haul with little to no problems.

I want to purchase a travel trailer and need to know how big of a trailer will my Yukon safely pull. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • travelguy2500travelguy2500 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have a 28' Airstream trailer that weighs 7300 pounds. Have been using a 3/4 ton pickup to tow though looking at moving to large SUV for more comfort/seating room, etc. I really like a 2011 Denali (regular not XL) with AWD, the 6.2L V8, 3.42 axle, integrated trailer brake controller, etc. Specs say it can tow 8,100 pounds though looking for feedback/advice on using the Denali to tow a 7,300 pound trailer. We live in the east - mostly flat - but do take long trips that have some moderate uphill climbs. Thanks.
  • five04tluvfive04tluv Member Posts: 9
    I too have been investigating this. This is a great guide here
    http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

Basically you need to find out the GCWR of your vehicle. Which is sometimes not published. The Max towing capacity is determined by GCWR - GVWR. GVWR is the total weight of your vehicle, passengers, cargo + tongue weight. You also have to be mindful of the Rear Axle Weight Limits.

I'm looking to purchase a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with 3.42. It has a max towing rating of 8500#, but the max GVWR of 7100#. I've also seen GCWR listed as 11000#.

Curb Weight of a vehicle is also a good number to know. It is the weight of the vehicle with options + all fluid levels topped off.
    2011 Tahoe LTZ 2wd is 6029#. So some simple math here 11000 - 6029 = 4971. So how in the world can they list 8500# as the max towing. There is some major fuzzy math going on here.
    Travelguy2500,

As long as the weight of the trailer and cargo does not exceed 8100 pounds, you should not have a problem. Unfortunately I am unable to give feedback or advice on using the Denali to tow a 7300 pound trailer as i have not done so; however, Edmunds is a great resource to find people with this experience.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • brewer1brewer1 Member Posts: 3
    Bot a 2010 GMC YUKON SLT 1500 2WD, 3.42 rear axel ration, heavy duty trailering pkg, engine 5.3 Vortec V8, 6 spd auto, with 12000 miles. Book shows max trailer wt of 8400 and GCWR 14,000.
    Looking for a TT to tow on trips to see family from TX-GA-TN-NC & CT .
    Looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking for and what you are towing.
    Not looking to Max out as we have parked our Excel 36' in NM and are looking for something with a QUEEN size bed, a potty and shower and kitchen. Want to stay under 30'.
    Thanks for your help
  • davidvcdavidvc Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you could tell me the towing capacity of my 2008 Yukon SLT 5.3L V8 VIN#: 1GKFC13J38R159666 (no flex-fuel)

I have towed a 4800 lb travel trailer approx 100 miles (one way) and noticed that my Yukon usually has a temperature of 210 degrees (even when not towing). However, when I'm towing the TT, as soon as I start any kind of hill or grade I can watch the temperature increase. I also noticed that the Transmission temperature increases as well...up to 232 degrees. Once I started back down the hill or grade the temp quickly returns back to the 210 degree mark. According to the RPO code and owner's manual, I have 3.73 gears and a towing capacity of 7500 lbs. However, I have read several other articles that state I only have 6500 lb towing capacity. Was wondering if I should be concerned about the fluctuation in temperature or if this is to be expected.
    Also, should I tow with the "trailer" button on or not?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    davidvc,

I understand your concern; I wanted to confirm with you that per GM the maximum trailer weight for your vehicle is 7500 pounds. It is also important to take the Gross Combination Weight Rating into account - essentially, the combined weight of your vehicle, cargo inside the vehicle itself, and the weight of the trailer should not exceed 13,000 pounds.

The Tow/Haul mode on your Yukon adjusts transmission shifts while hauling, making them less frequent and more predictable. This can perhaps be very noticeable on downhill grades.

As far as the fluctuation in engine temperature, engine coolant at higher altitudes will boil at a lower temperature than at or near sea level. If you turn your engine off immediately after towing at high altitude on steep uphill grades, your vehicle may show signs similar to engine overheating. I am not sure what altitude you are driving at, but thought that this might be useful to you.

I am going to ask our Technical Assistance Center about the fluctuation in engine temperature you mentioned, just to make sure you are within a healthy range and that this is normal. Once I hear back from them, I will be sure to relay this information to you.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • aseniukaseniuk Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have been looking at buying a travel trailer. We could be towing it with a 2007 Yukon. When looking online for towing capacity it changes with each website we look at- some saying only 4500lbs and others saying up to 7200lbs.

Just wondering what is the maximum weight the 2007 Yukon can tow?

Ashley
    Hello Ashley,

That's an exciting investment! If you were willing to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this further. You can either put them here on the forum, or send an email to socialmedia@gm.com (include your question in the email as well so we will have a point of reference!).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    The following is the response I heard back on the fluctuation in temperature question:

Please see excerpt from owners manual page 3-47:

“It also provides an indicator of how hard your vehicle is
    working. During a majority of the operation, the gage
    will read 210°F (100°C) or less. If you are pulling a load
    or going up hills, it is normal for the temperature to
    fluctuate and approach the 250°F (122°C) mark. If the
    gage reaches the 260°F (125°C) mark, it indicates
    that the cooling system is working beyond its capacity.”

I hope this helps!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mamashackmamashack Member Posts: 2
    We traded in our Ford Excursion and bought a 2011 GMC Yukon XL-SLE (i know.. big downgrade) anyhow, now my husband is in a panic thinking our Yukon XL wont tow our 25' boat. Boat weight is 4300lbs, with about a 1,500lb trailer - total tow weight is 5800lbs. He's afraid it's gonna be a total dog and not be able to pull the boat.. We also will have a full car - packed with kids and all their "kid crap". Should we be worried we've made the wrong choice?? Vin# 1GKS1HE07BR265482
    Hello mamashack,

Given your VIN, I found the following. I know it is a lot of terminology, and I hope that I can communicate it clearly for you!

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) for your specific vehicle is 7200 lbs. This is the maximum number of pounds a tow vehicle may weigh. Everything that contributes to the weight of the tow vehicle is featured in this rating, including the weight of the vehicle, driver and all passengers, fuel, payload, trailer tongue weight, hitch weight and all optional equipment. The GVWR is displayed on the driver’s door or door-lock pillar label of your vehicle.

The GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions; the GCWR for the vehicle should not be exceeded) for your vehicle is 11,000 lbs and the maximum trailer weight per the owners manual is 5,500 lbs.

It looks as though the weight of your trailer and boat exceeds that of the recommended maximum trailer weight; as far as how this may affect your vehicle, I am unsure. It may be a good idea to speak with your dealership on this matter.

If we can look into anything further for you, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • meyermdajmeyermdaj Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Towing my 7,500# boat this past weekend I noticed the digital readout of the transmission temperature climbed to 227 going up hill and would typically hover around 200 on the flats. Is this too high? Will the cars computer tell me when the transmission is too hot?

It's a 2007 Yukon Denali 6.2L AWD.

Any information would be great. Thanks, MM
  • harley060107harley060107 Member Posts: 41
    Asked what is the maximum capacity of a 1500/ 5.3ltr. XL ??
    Having also bought a 2009 XL with trailer tow option I found the rig came with a 3.42 axle and surprisingly NO transmission cooler. Although the mfg GVW ratings will restrict your 5.3 Yukon XL to 5400/5900#, with an adequate transmission cooler this rig will pull 8500# with out any shift scheduling or engine laboring while in trailer tow mode, however, make sure you have a transmission cooler. I found mixed reviews and also looked at Suburbans and Yukons and some do not have the transmission cooler.
    Without this KEY element you can anticipate transmission overheat; I've experienced it!!
    Also note the difference of a 3.73 vs 3.42 rear axle can make the total GVW decrease.
    ** Driving in extended hilly country without the 6.0 engine will place high demands on your engine but of relatively flat roads and moderate inclines you should have no issues.
    Review of other forums and other disappointed consumers will tell you you're not alone. I too have experienced overheat but also learned that not all GM Suburbans or Yukons have transmission coolers. If not equipped, add one; this transmission typically runs hot and getting to engine operating temps can easily achieved under adverse conditions.
  • meyermdajmeyermdaj Member Posts: 2
    I've read that the trans fluid can handle operating temps up to 220. I'm more wondering if the cars computer will warn me of a "Transmission Overheat". I agree, a trans cooler should probably be added.
  • stonegroovestonegroove Member Posts: 1
    Almost bought a CPO Yukon yesterday but halted the process based on finding out the 2012 4wd SLT Yukon had a 3.08 axle ration with the K5L HD option..so I guess that means the towing limit would be 5200 pounds. I intend on pulling my wakeboard boat with it...I estimate the boat with trailer, gear and people to be about 5200-5300 pounds..i.e. right at the guidelien limit.

Does this mean its' a mistake to bu that vehichle and that I should look for one with a 3.42 axle and HD towing (K5L).. or should I feel ok proceeding knowing that I am on the hairy edge? I think I'm seeing examples of posts of people not even at the limit with a 3.42 axle and stil lhaving overheating problems..which leads me to conclude it woudl be a big mistake.

the dealer did not push me towards doing it..wants me to do the right thing. He adsived tha [non-permissible content removed] wousdl not hurt hte enging, but that I would be a little sluggish on the hills.

Any advice from GM here?

Thanks!

My 1998 yukon seems to pull this boat fine, but it had a 3.73 axle..so I can't really do a comparison.
  • rmhoglermhogle Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buy a 2013 Yukon XL Denali w/3.42 gears I have a trailer that weights 5120 dry. The Yukon has a tow weight of 7800 lbs just try to get some answers before I spend a lot of money on a new car.
  • jtmiller29jtmiller29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi we just bought a Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH and we have a 2010 Yukon Denali AWD with HD Towing Package. The max trailer weight in our manual is 8100 lbs, the GVWR of the trailer is 7500. The GCVWR for the Yukon and trailer is 14000. We plan on getting a weight distributing hitch. The dry hitch weight on the trailer is 590 lbs. Do you think we will have any problems hauling this trailer with our Yukon?? The exterior length of the trailer is 31'11" We haven't actually taken posession of the trailer so we can't give any actual weights.
    Thanks
  • davidvcdavidvc Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I think you may have too much trailer for that Yukon. I have a 2008 Yukon with HD towing package and my trailer is 5400lbs empty. I have towed my trailer fully loaded with four people in the vehicle, with no problem. However, I can't imagine it being any heavier. If the weight of your trailer is 7400lbs dry, then you have to add the weight of all the things that you will be carrying in the trailer (bed linens, towels, food, water, drinks, charcoal, chairs, tv's, bicycles, etc.) and vehicle as well, which will easily put you well over your max weight.
    To be quite honest, if the person selling you the trailer knew you had the Yukon for a tow vehicle, they should have never sold you that trailer (I'm assuming you bought it new, from a salesperson).
    Just my opinion, hope it helps you out.
    Dave
  • 3monkeys3monkeys Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Yukon 5.3L V8, four-wheel drive with the Tow Package and Tow/Haul Mode. I am so confused on what is the max trailer we can tow. Can someone help me please!!!! We want to upgrade from our 3,500 tent trailer but don't know how big we can go.
  • alabama3alabama3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 GMC Yukon 1500 SLE. I want to pull a horse trailer with it and need to know if it is powerful enough to do this safely.I have some info about the trailer if somebody could help me calculate if I have enough towing capacity.
  • tom387tom387 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a White Hawk 27DSRL ?, the empty weight is 5500lbs.
    I am towing with 2011 1500 Chevy Silverado EXT cab 4X, towing packages, 3.42 rear, the 5.3 ? 315hp engine, and according the manual my max towing weight is 9000 lbs. I was towing up steep mountain and the vehicle struggled. My biggest concern was a transmission temp of 210 degrees F. It dropped back to under 200 coming back down the other side of mountain pretty quick. Wondering if I need to go to 2500 truck. My camper is 1 ft smaller than yours and your max towing trailer weight is less than mine. I would deffinately re-think the camper purchase or plan on buying a tow vehicle.
    I would like to know every ones opinion on the transmission running at 210 is that too hot. Am I stressing the transmssion?
    Yur dealer network needs to be trained. A brief survey will find that many are giving the consumers false information. I am a retired Ford engineer and was hite diamond happy, infact estatic, to buy a white diamond loaded Yukon XLT with every option including maximum trailer tow. Did I say every option?? Guess what, GM has an addition option that includes a larger radiator core and trans cooler that WAS NOT part of my rig. So guess what? I was forced to sell the rig when transmissio overheat was experienced. I even approached GM Tech Center Engineering, Customer Relations, and the dealership in an attempt to add the missing components. All other items including the transmission and axle ratios were right. I was told this would VIOLATE the warranty. There is a major distinction between MAXIMUM trailer tow and "trailer tow". (5900 vs 7900#)
    The dealer network is not well informed which resulted in my having to sell a perfectly good rig that delivered great fuel economy a could have adequately pulled 7900# given the transmission cooler. This was a serious $50,000 mistake!!!
    I would be pulling our camper today with a nice Yukon if it weren't for the lack of support in resolving my issue. I loved my Yukon which was far superior to a F150 eco-boost I'm currently driving; all because I was sold my Yukon with less than the MAXIMUM trailer tow by an ill informed sales person.
  • panga3206panga3206 Member Posts: 1
    Regardless of specs, the fact of the matter is what you really need is an SUV classified as 2500 (such as the F-250, NOT A 1500 such as the F-150) – I own a Chevy Suburban 4wd etc etc and it is lazy pulling 6,500 pounds of trailer (plus her Mom) I can pass cars only if I am going downhill. If I encounter a steep hill – forget it, have patience, pull over, drive slow and let other pass you. Remember, your trailer might be say 5,500 lbs yet you have to add another 1000 for the hook up, people and luggage plus whatever you put in the fridge etc. yes it adds up. So instead of 5,500 now you are pulling 8,000. It adds up quickly. Even bikes have an effect. They have Chevy SUV 2500 and Yukon 2500 but they are hard to find. I don’t know why… you can tell one from the other by looking at the lug nuts,. One has 6 and the other 8 (if I remember correctly) – I’d say if you are pulling that much weight, go for an SUV classified as 2500 or go for the King… the mighty F-250 Ford (they are not cheap even though they have a huge hole in the back. Some of us call it “cargo area” lol) – good luck!!!
    Your story hits home because this was same senario that got me it trouble a hear ago. Best case would be you have the 6.0 ltr powertrain with a 373 axle. The 5.3 will pull it but a 373 axle is critical as is the transmission cooler which can easily be seen mounted in front of the radiator. If it does not have it, then it won't have the larger radiator core either. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. By the way, all wheel drive is rated at less then 4 wheel drive
    and you are margial for total weight. The big deal is transmission over heat which ca result in a $4000.00 drepair bill.
    Note: While I love the Yukon, (nothing compares to the ride and overall use!) terrain, and where you plan on towing our drig can be factor of choice.
  • mamashackmamashack Member Posts: 2
    I traded the Yukon XL, (which the dealer PROMISED me would tow my boat - which of course it couldn't) and upgraded to a Chevy Suburban 2500 with a bigger engine, suspension and seriously more power. Problem solved.