Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 vs Honda Accord

2»

Comments

• psypsy Member Posts: 122
    As a owner of a 05 Accord EX, I4, 5at..... The wifes car. Dont dish this ride. and if I could have purchased a Accord LXse 5mt in Oklahoma I would have bought it over my MZ3. And seeing its out there for 600 under invoice if you can find one.... its a hell of a car.
  • chickenlipschickenlips Member Posts: 16
    I recently test drove both the Mazda3 and Accord.

I drove an M3 s Touring (2.3 engine) sedan in both automatic and manual. There is a noticeable performance improvement with the manual. I would not consider purchase of the automatic. The manual had surprising acceleration. This is a great car. Truly a poor man’s sport sedan. It is fun to drive with crisp handling and small turning circle.

Nice interior for the money, but the dash instruments were extremely difficult to read with sunglasses on.

The notoriously weak A/C was disappointing. The salesman had the air going strong when he brought the car around. The outside temperature was a comfortable 80 degrees with low humidity and full sun. We never lowered the fan speed to the lowest setting during our drive. It was barely comfortable. Even my old Saturn would have been frosty after 15 minutes of strong A/C. Black is the only interior color option for most of the s Touring exterior colors, so cooling could be a problem in some climates.

I had read about the pedals being too close and right knee space being at a premium. The pedals were fine for me, but my shoes are only size 9.5. My knee (and I am thin) had only about 1.5 inches free on either side. However, I both raised and telescoped the steering wheel to a comfortable setting and my knee had plenty of room.

The back seat is comparable in size to other cars in this class. The trunk seemed a bit small. It seemed rather narrow and short, but deeper than my 2000 Saturn S.

I don't like the Side Sill Extensions on the s Touring, but it's not available without them. They lower the already low ground clearance. Not good for snow.

I then checked out the Honda. I insist on stability control, but the 4 cylinder Accord doesn’t have ESC in 2007, so I looked at V6 models. I realize the V6 Accord and Mazda3 aren’t in the same class, but that’s the comparison I made. The lack of ESC in non-Si Civics eliminated them from consideration also.

I don’t need leather and the other options on the expensive EX-V6, so looked at the LX, even though it’s available in automatic only.

The LX-V6 sedan is smooth and comfortable, but with decent handling. Not too cushy as with Toyotas. I’ve driven four cylinder cars for decades, so the V6 seemed overpowered. I punched it on the interstate entrance ramp and it downshifted TWICE. I saw cars disappear in my rear view mirror. I don’t need this much power – it seems overkill. And as an empty nester, I don’t need this much space either. But it didn’t feel big as I drove, so I could probably live with the extra space. And I’d probably learn to love the power.

The Accord has better crash test results than the Mazda and has DRL, something I’ve grown to enjoy on my existing car. So the Accord gets the nod in safety. None of the Mazda3’s other faults are show stoppers, but safety could be a deciding factor. One could argue that the M3’s sharper handling is better in avoiding accidents.

Bottom line: the M3 is fun to drive, great handling, and gets better gas mileage (though not a night and day difference). Accord is smooth and powerful with better safety. And thousands of dollars more. I just need to decide if the Accord is worth the extra money. The Honda dealers around me are swimming in Accords. With the close-out sales going on, I think I could hook a decent price.

I also checked out manual and auto Acura TSXs. Very, very nice. I went to the dealership with the idea that I wouldn’t even consider an automatic, but driving the automatic made a believer out of me. And the buttery smooth manual is awesome. I could live with either. The two dealers in my city are each over 12 miles away from my house, compared to less than 3 miles for both Honda and Mazda. Could be inconvenient for Acura warranty work, but not a big deal. Although price isn’t much higher than the Accord EX-V6, it’s thousands above the LX-V6. And Acura dealers don’t seem as willing to cut prices. So I don’t think I can justify $27k for a non-navi TSX. Maybe for my next car when I’m no longer helping my kids with their car insurance.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I realize the V6 Accord and Mazda3 aren’t in the same class, but that’s the comparison I made.
    I suppose any two cars can be compared. A Yaris could then best a Porsche in terms of weight and cost.

Accord is smooth and powerful
    I suppose a V6 would be more powerful than a 4 cylinder.

I don't like the Side Sill Extensions on the s Touring, but it's not available without them. They lower the already low ground clearance. Not good for snow.
    That's curious: my side sill extensions can be removed quite easily. I live in the snowbelt and have not found side sill extensions to be a problem. Now snow collecting in the wheel wells, that is a problem, but that's another story.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    your answer is the si.

it comes with a manual, is not super expensive, has the right amount of power, has the right amount of space for you and handles better than the 3.
    Without a doubt, the Si is sweet. But I've heard (I have not driven one) that the high-revving engine begs the driver to routinely push it above 5000 rpm. I'm afraid I would collect tickets and/or kill myself.

Other concerns include a possibly too-firm ride, premium fuel (although mileage is good), and insurance.

I guess the bottom line is it might be sportier than I want. But I have salivated over them in the Honda dealer's lot.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you aren't a driver who likes to push a car very often, you may be better suited to the EX with a manual transmission. In around-town driving they are similar to the Si (the Si doesn't really shine until 6,000 RPM), much better fuel economy on regular unleaded, lower price, and cheaper insurance premiums. You could add the Si wheels (I love 'em, personally, and I drive an Accord!) and the wing and get the exterior effect if you wanted to (I'd just do the wheels, not the wing).

I'd drive both EX MT and Si, and see which suits you better.
    understood, but bear in mind that the engine was made to rev that high, and it loves it.

but i do understand the 3's appeal with a solid middlepoint..even a 3 2.3 with an auto is quicker/punchier than even an ex with a stick.
    even a 3 2.3 with an auto is quicker/punchier than even an ex with a stick.

I wouldn't be so sure. The 3s 2.3 stick is only .4 seconds faster to 60 than a Civic LX with a stick (C&D comparo - Civic 7.7 0-60, 3s 7.3 0-60).

It's still faster, but I'd guess a Civic stick could outrun a 3s Auto.

I've even driven my dad's 2007 EX Auto Civic isn't "fast" but it is a hoot to zip around town and run to 6800 RPM once in a while!
    i agree grad, that 6800 redline is nice and the r18 sounds great reaching it.

i would imagine though, that the ex would be a bit slower, granted that it weighs a bit more. (perhaps the reason why c/d opted for the lx, as opposed to the ex?)
    i would imagine though, that the ex would be a bit slower, granted that it weighs a bit more. (perhaps the reason why c/d opted for the lx, as opposed to the ex?)

The EX would be marginally slower (sunroof adds weight), but I wonder if it would equal more than a tenth of a second (the difference is roughly 50 pounds between LX and EX).

Also, I think the price point goal was $18,000 Sedans. I'd have to go back and double-check though. I know the Corolla they tested was only $16k and change (a top-level LE model, but with few options), so to go out of their way to get a $20k Civic wouldn't make much sense.

We're splitting hairs, but I appreciate the ability to actually split hairs with someone that doesn't get defensive (that happens way too often on Edmunds). Thanks!

Thegrad
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    If it's between a Mazda 3 and an Accord, here's my take:

I own both vehicles right now. Both are outstanding cars but much different. If you want to cruise around in comfort, go for the Accord. If you are looking for fun commuting, go for the 3.

We needed a third car in the family since we added two teenage drivers in the past year. When deciding what to do, we were driving an 03 CRV and and 04 Accord EX V6. I drove the Accord and for three years enjoyed trouble free driving, a real pleasure to drive on the highway with all the passing power you need. But when it came time to add the third car, I figured now was the time to add some fun driving to the lineup. I looked at the Civic EX coupe and Si coupe as well as the Mazda 3. The Si was probably the most exhilarating ride, but the other two weren't far behind when it comes to everyday driving. Let's face it, how often does one get to go crazy on some winding back road. I figured that the premium gas and lower EPA more than offset the extra charge I might get out of the Si on very infrequent occassions. Cross off the Si.

Moving on to the EX and the 3, I thought the EX handled well enough, got great gas mileage and could have been an excellent choice. It would have been my safe choice since I new well Honda reliability. Two drawbacks: 1) Honda still hasn't been able to deliver an interior look and feel that matches all the other Honda quality and performance. The cloth fabric in the coupe is just blah (and if it thinks the swirly action enhances the look, forget it!); 2)no stability and traction control that will come in handy in snowy NH.

For a while, I actually thought about an Accord EX manual given the discounts that Honda is passing on. Then I said to myself, stick with the more fun ride. That's why I went with the Mazda 3. With the choice of models offered, I went with a GT manual hatchback. Love the car. Solid as a rock, handles extremely well, good looking leather interior, BOSE system, stability/traction control, zenon headlights, rain sensor windshield, etc, etc. While not a primary reason for choosing the 3, I have had more compliments in two months of ownership than I had in three years with the Accord. The Mazda 3 has got to be the best value of any car I have owned including a BMW, Volvo, two Saabs, VWs, Toyota Celica, and others.

Before you make your decision, asked yourself "Do I want to sit back and relax and let the Accord do all the work or would I rather have a blast in the Mazda 3?"
    hey no prob man!

though it does make me feel bad, especially considering that i too have gotten into it with people over splitting hairs, but its usually provoked, i don't like to randomly lash out!

i actually read the article in question, and the parameters were : a base price at or less than 20k. (does the ex manual sticker for less than this? or at least AT this? i know an ex auto with no add ons now goes for a bit over 20k, whereas the sticke on my auto ex was 19 something.)

50lbs isn't much though, and not enough for a discrepancy in 0-60 times at least. (i.e. the gti 4 door weighs about this much more than the 2 door, but the times are the same, if not better for the 4 door. Samething for the si sedan with relation to the coupe.)
    Well, the '08 Accord has convinced me that I won't be buying an Accord. Too darned big.

I don't understand this constant growing of vehicles. The current gen Civic is larger than the original Accord. I assume that was the motivation behind bringing out the small Fit - they needed a new small car.

Where will the insanity end? Will the 13th generation Accord be the size of a Lincoln Town Car?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Was an 07 Accord too big? Or does a mere 3" longer, and 1" wider make that much difference to you. It doesn't seem like much to me. The Accord has been growing, but so have us Americans. Are your kids bigger than you were at their age? I know my son is, and my nieces and nephews are bigger than their parents too.
    Was an 07 Accord too big?

Yes. But just barely. I was wavering on the size issue. The extra inches of the 08 push it over the edge.

Are your kids bigger than you were at their age?

No, they are smaller. You make a valid point, but it doesn't apply to me. I am the largest in my family and am only 5'9", 145 lbs. And my kids have moved out, so most of the time it's just me or me and the wife. I don't need or want a car this large.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    How about a Civic, or TSX? I'm not a real Honda/Acura salesman, but I do play one on the internet. And I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    There will be a new Mazda6 soon and it promises to be a looker (not much bigger than the current gen)
    Based on the one spy photo I saw, I'm not really pleased with the looks. I'd rather have a current one than the new 6.
    I agree. Too many new models are becoming increasingly bloated and heavier.
    How about a Civic, or TSX?

The non-Si Civic doesn't come with ESC, so I won't own one of those. The TSX and Mazda3 sTouring are both on my short list. I've test driven both and like both. Obviously the TSX is more refined, but I have to decide if it's worth the extra $10k or so. I don't like the wide turning circle of the TSX, but the Mazda3 has several small issues as well (weak A/C, hard to read dash displays).
  • divewreckdivewreck Member Posts: 50
    I also looked at an accord. While it has everything I want, I can't justify its big size for 1, maybe 2 adults. Mazda3 (and the 6)has everything too. I had a 323 wagon for 7 years, one of the best cars I ever had. Why does the 3 gets higher ratings than the 6? I thought they were built on the same platform, even if there is only a 10 inch difference in length
    The 3 shares a platform with the Gen2 (in Europe) Ford Focus, and Volvo S40. The 6 does not share this platform, I believe.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The current Mazda3 is on Fords Global C1 Platform, which was devoloped by Volvo.

The Mazda6 sits on Mazda's GG/GY platform, Ford uses it for their midsized global partner vehicles, and calls it the CD3 platform.

The next gen Mazda6 is going to sit on the EUCD platform, devoloped by Volvo as well, and is currently used in the new European Ford Mondeo.

On a side note, I wish Ford would bring the Euro Mondeo over here. It's a hot car, and puts the Fusion to shame...acutally, most of Ford products in Europe are hot, and they would do really well over here.

In all honesty, a platform does not really mean too much. What really matters is what is placed on top of the platform.
    I decided on the Mazda3 over the Accord and TSX. Just bought a 2008 sTouring manual, aurora mica blue, leather, and sunroof. So far, I'm pleased with it. I love the turning circle.

Coincidentally, after owning it for one day, I went to Oregon on vacation where my rental car was a Mazda6! Same engine (2.3). It didn't feel any bigger. Had nice handling, but I like the 3's handling and acceleration better (granted, I have a manual and the rental was automatic, but I could feel the difference with the 3's lighter body).
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    This thread is interesting because I am debating this exact comparison. Currently have an 02 Accord SE 4 cyl MT. Reliable as a claw hammer but I am getting sleepy just thinking about driving it. Have test driven the Mazda3 and wife drives a Mazda5. I really enjoy the dynamics of the 3 and even the 5.

So yesterday I test drove an 08 Accord EX 4cyl MT. I was somewhat underwhelmed. Way better driving than my 02 but typical Accord in that nothing is wrong or annoying, but nothing exciting. And it has become a large car. If it had a bit more "wow" in the test drive there would be no contest for me. But...

The Mazda3 is much more exciting to drive but the overall seat comfort and driving position (center console way too wide and interferes with my right leg/foot) bugs me. Typical Mazda - fun to drive but has some warts. The options combinations are interesting as well. The Accord has VSA, better crash safety, and overall should be the more trouble-free car. For 90% of my driving (commuting) it will be the better car. The 3 gives me heated seats (a big deal to me here in balmy Canada), hatchback option, yet the Canadian 3s do not get VSA! Price-wise Honda is provding rebates here in Canada with the whole dollar thing while Mazda has not yet done so (to my knowledge) so pricing ends up being similar.

So I am still not sure what to get!
    The Accord For 90% of my driving (commuting) it will be the better car. ... Price-wise Honda is provding rebates ...Mazda has not ...pricing ends up being similar. So I am still not sure what to get!

Sounds like 10% is all you need to make your decision. Alternatively, you could try the dealership games and see what kind of competitive offers can be had.

p.s. Mazda needs to review their pricing.
    Sounds like 10% is all you need to make your decision. Alternatively, you could try the dealership games and see what kind of competitive offers can be had.

It's definitely a tough choice. Will have to test drive them back to back. I am not ready to pull the trigger yet - I think here in Canada they are still going to have to go lower. I talked to a Mazda dealer and he was genuinely POd about Mazda's lack of movement to this point.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    The 3 gives me heated seats (a big deal to me here in balmy Canada)

You could always spend the extra bucks and get the EX-L for the heated seats in the Accord.
    You could always spend the extra bucks and get the EX-L for the heated seats in the Accord.

I might consider that if the pricing gets more aggressive. However at this point the EX-L is edging out of my price range. The Accord as a whole was more than I want to spend but the rebates are starting to come in. With the rebates on the Honda the EX currently would work out to the same as a loaded 3.
    There are no rebates on the Honda Accord right now, not the 2008 anyway.

The Mazda3 is right on par, in terms of pricing, with the Honda Civic, in which it competes against. Not the Accord.

BTY, Mazda3 does have DSC on the s Touring and Grand Touring models.

The Mazda3 is right on par, in terms of pricing, with the Honda Civic, in which it competes against. Not the Accord.

Canadian prices are a wonderous thing to behold and a mystery to unravel. Moreover, competing against the Honda Civic on par in terms of price seems problematic to me when one considers that the Mazda3 is going into its 5th (and likely last) model year while the Honda Civic has recently gone through a significant makeover.
    Moreover, competing against the Honda Civic on par in terms of price seems problematic to me when one considers that the Mazda3 is going into its 5th (and likely last) model year while the Honda Civic has recently gone through a significant makeover.

Yes, the Civic recently had a major over haul, however, the Mazda3 in it's 5th year of production still is considered a top pick, and still has features and options that the competition still does not have (leather, climate control, Xenon's). Even being in it's 5th year of production, the Mazda3 is no where near obsolete. Look at the 2005 Civic, that was a dinosaur compared to the Mazda3. You cannot say that now about the Mazda3 compared to the new Civic.

As far as Canadian prices go, I cannot help you in that, I'm from the U.S., and are only familiar with U.S. pricing. Comparably equipped, the Mazda3 and Civic are the same price.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    What makes you think that Civics do not have leather and climate control? The headlanps are Halogen, less likely to blind an oncoming driver than Xenon. Just buy an EX-L.

http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2008/civic-sedan/downloads/2008-civic-sedan-- - factsheet.pdf
    I was unaware that the 2008 Civic has leather. My apologies. The 2008 Mazda3's are soon to have a power seat as well, something Civic does not have. I don't believe the Civic has stability control or traction control either.

The headlamps are Halogen, less likely to blind an oncoming driver than Xenon

Xenons are also the closest thing to natural light that man can produce. On back roads it makes night driving very easy.

My point was that even in it's 5th year of production, the Mazda3 is a no where near obsolete. Usually models that late into their run are in dire need of a makeover, for example the current Mazda6.
    I've got nothing against the 3, but its road noise is pretty horrendous on the interstate with the uplevel wheels; you feel every piece of the road in your butt, too.

I have two friends with these cars; one has a 3S and I don't like riding in it. I prefer the 3i. It rides a lot more like the Civic, which is a good compromise to me.
    Yeah, the 3s's have a stiffer ride. Some like it, some don't. Do the 17's really perform better? I don't think it matters too much. I think they look nicer, but, the tires are more money to replace.

I'm surprised it took this long to offer leather in the Civic. Most every car in this class has it now, i think.
    If you think about though, it really shouldn't be too surprising. Honda didn't even offer leather on the Odyssey van until 2002.

Here in Alabama, I'd never have leather as my first choice since it gets so hot. I do understand others wanting it though. (From what I understand, some of the leather in vehicles like Corolla and Cobalt can feel like little more than glorified vinyl, although I have no first-hand experience to confirm this).
    (From what I understand, some of the leather in vehicles like Corolla and Cobalt can feel like little more than glorified vinyl, although I have no first-hand experience to confirm this).

I can't say I's disagree with you there, however, I have not seen the leather in the Corolla. Cobalt, not very nice. The Focus had cheesy leather too.
  • cainandabelcainandabel Member Posts: 3
    Mazda 3 or mazda 6

GENERAL IDEA
    Civic compete with Mazda 3
    Accord compete with Mazda 6

Accord have rough shifting and
    transmitions can be unreliable
This discussion has been closed.