Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Hyundai Accent v 2007 Toyota Yaris Lift

1234568»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, how about, how many is a "ton"?

But thanks for mentioning that you have looked at (driven?) the Accent--I think that's the first time you've said that here. Which one(s) did you look at or drive, and what about the car specifically did you hate?
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    I rarely see more than 10 Yarii in stock at the 3 Memphis dealers and they are rarely listed in their sale ads. Currently Wolfchase shows 5 in stock, Performance 4 in stock and Chuck Hutton 0 in stock.
    I've never seen many Yarii in stock at my local dealer either. Less than 10 cars is not many, days-sales wise.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    As you are finding out, there are a few avid Korean car fanatics in here and they will tout those cars until the bitter end. I haven't quite figured out why they're so sold on these cars as the only thing the Koreans have proven is they can improve on building some of the worst, if not THE worst cars ever built. They have not yet proven they can build cars with the same level of build quality, durability, and long term reliability as the best Japanese auto makers, and yet to listen to some of these guys, you'd think it was the Japanese who are trying to catch up with the Koreans. Call me old fashioned, or just plain stubborn, but I'm afraid the Koreans will have to prove to me they can 1) build cars at the same level of build quality as the Japanese (which they are not yet doing regardless of what all of their fans claim), and 2) do so for a period of a couple of decades or so like the Japanese have done. If they can accomplish this (and that's a big IF), then, and only then I will give them the credit they will have earned. Until then, they get no free pass from me.
    Where do you place the American car manufacturers?
    Depends on specific models. Some are world class, and others are absolutely horrible.
    Interesting. You are sayihg then that you think there are some American cars that are world class, yet I think it's pretty clear that no American manufacturer has demonstrated that they can: 1) build cars at the same level of build quality as the Japanese, and 2) do so for a period of a couple of decades or so like the Japanese have done.

So that leaves open the possibility that the Accent is actually a world-class car. ;)

Maybe we could return now to the discussion about Yaris vs. Accent, and not about general musings about Korean and American vs. Japanese car quality?
    "Interesting. You are sayihg then that you think there are some American cars that are world class, yet I think it's pretty clear that no American manufacturer has demonstrated that they can: 1) build cars at the same level of build quality as the Japanese"

Sure they can and do. Buick builds cars and has for a long time that are at least equal to the best Japanese cars. Some of the big 3's full size pickups are also at least as good.

"So that leaves open the possibility that the Accent is actually a world-class car."

There's always a possibility, but you know what they say; you can dress a turd in a sweater, but it's still a turd.....
    Maybe instead of calling the Accent a turd, you could be more specific about what you don't like about the car--hopefully based on your close inspections and your test drive(s) of the car. That might be more useful to prospective buyers looking at this discussion.

Just a thought.
    See post number 395.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    nail any tacks down as to what you don't like. This is usually the case with Korean car bashers. They say vague, put-down comments about Korean cars that don't get to the point and then expect all the people that like Korean cars and have had good experiences with them to just shut up.

Ahh-ahh, not me, not this time.

Really, the only thing that a person can take away from post 395 that will stick is that you would like to see how Kia/Hyundai rigs will hold up for 20 years reliability/build wise. Well, best be watchin' close for another 20 years and then come back and commnent on how well they do hold up. Looking at how they're doing now I have no reason to believe that South Korean cars are not going to just keep getting better and better as the years roll by.

The Yaris can tout great gas mileage and great resale values, but, for those that don't like the Scion xD or an older Scion xA, and wanted a Toyota Yaris 5-door cross/hatch I guess they'll just have to look back to Kia and Hyundai. Unless for a 4-door Yaris they want the sedan. If looking at this class of cars to buy I would score myself a Kia Rio5 or Kia Rio sedan.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

"Looking at how they're doing now I have no reason to believe that South Korean cars are not going to just keep getting better and better as the years roll by."

That's where you and I are different. You assume Korean cars will just keep getting better, while I will be waiting to see if they actually do. I was part of the group of people who were sceptical about Japanese cars. When they first started showing up here in the states I thought they were nothing but cheap throw-aways. Fast forward 20 years. Now the Japanese have established themselves as the most reliable auto makers in the world. The Koreans are just starting out and their cars are atrocious nightmares. Fast forward to today. The Japanese have another couple of decades of building the world's most reliable vehicles under their belts, while the Koreans have proved they can improve. Notice I didn't say the Koreans have proven they can build cars just as good as the Japanese? That hasn't been proven yet. I realize Korean vehicles are constantly compared to that of the Japanese by not only people in this forum, but the also the magazines, and the marketing by the Koreans has almost exclusively compared their vehicles to the Japanese. The magazines even pick Koreans vehicles over Japanese vehicles in comparisons from time to time, but have you ever noticed you never see these comparisons done over a period of 100K or 200K miles? That is where the true measure of build quality lies. It isn't whether or not the battery case is lined, or if the hood has the little shocks or has to be propped open with a rod, it's about how good the car looks after 100K miles. It's about how many times the car had to be taken in for repairs over the course of that 100K miles. It's how well the car drives, are there any rattles or squeeks, are interior molding falling off, etc, at 100K or 200K miles. It's about how much the car is worth at 100K. These are the true measures of build quality and in these areas, the Koreans still fall short.

Will the Koreans ever catch the Japanese? It's certainly possible, but it hasn't happened yet and until they can match the Japanese in the areas I mentioned then they can't be considered an equal.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Throw all research data out the window, part of what I do for a living, where facts have supported Hyundai builds quality and reliable vehicles, mind you, my neighbor owns a 98 Sonata which still runs, for the most part, as trouble-free as you can get for a 10 year old car with almost 200K on the odometer. I can go on and on, give you more stories from actual and real owners, from all makers, good or bad. I can also tell you the fact different brands of vehicles sold these days are not far apart with respect to quality and reliability, contrary to your belief. Of course there are some exceptions and outliers but for the most part, every single car, suv, truck coming out of the factory are pretty good by today's standards. The biggest factor lies within all of this is perception.

If I am not mistaken, you and ttai are Yaris owners, and I sincerely hope you enjoy the car during the time of the ownership. It's nice econ driver. I should mention, however, you're jumping on the gun about others, by generalizing: "avid Korean car fanatics in here and they will tout those cars until the bitter end" - just because others don't share the same opinions or views as you do? I've seen most giving their reports about these two cars, after their experience in them. Actually, I don't think anyone has said the Yaris is garbage and Accent is gold, the opposite has been posted, unfortunately...

Let's try and focus on the cars themselves instead of unsupported generalization.

For me, neither the Accent nor the Yaris is anything to tout about. FWIW, they are great econ daily drivers and both do good jobs from point A to point B. Yaris has its advantages and so does the Accent. Between the two, I'd give an edge to the Accent, the SE model, based on my drives, has the most fun factor for anything under 15K (MSRP).
    yep, I have been reading your posts for a long time and you seem to see things similar to backy and I. The thing is, both backy and I(I don't know about you)have owned Kia's or Hyundai's and have personal experience with them.

In my case, both of my Kia's have been solid, dependable rigs and, as a bonus, I prefer the Korean styling to the Japanese(generally speaking). I think that Kia designers are spot on. In fact, the Sephia's body styling had it all over the Corolla and the Civic, so I checked out a Sephia and drove one. It was the infamous 1999 Kia Sephia that promoted me to tag it's name for my Edmunds nickname!

The '01 Kia Sportage 4X4 that followed the Sephia was a great little SUV. At 130,000 miles I traded it for my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Nope, I am not a Japanese car basher, I now own one! I think keeping an open mind is the way to go with cars.
    When I make these pro-Kia/Hyundai comments it's because I believe what I am saying to be the truth and I have personal experience to prove it out. I would not hesitate to buy another Kia in the future.

Unfortunately, I have yet to own any Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but I have driven plenty of them for work and other occasions. I have on my short list Hyundai/Kia vehicles, as my next car - have been doing quite a bit of research here and everywhere else where I could gather pertinent information.

Agreed with your point of view!!
    I think that is the key--keeping an open mind--in order to get the best car for one's needs at the best price. I've owned many Japanese cars (I own two now in fact, one made in Japan and one a Japanese design made in the U.S.) and would have no problem buying a Yaris if certain things that I can't put up with would be addressed. But in fact, as I've stated on Town Hall, I wouldn't buy an Accent right now either, due to its poor showing on the IIHS side impact crash test. If I had to choose right now between a Yaris hatch and an Accent hatch, which is the point of this discussion, I'd choose the Accent hatch (SE) since it comes standard with safety equipment that I want and does better on the IIHS side impact test than the Yaris hatch that I could buy in my area--which would have no side airbags or curtains, and no ABS either (meaning very long stopping distances dry or wet per published reports). If I could find a Yaris hatch with ABS and side bags, I wouldn't buy one--I think there's better choices for what I want in a car, for the same money or less, e.g. Versa.
    Backy, if you should change your mind, you can order the Yaris hatch from one of the Memphis dealers with the ABS and and side curtain airbags (option C). I will be happy to pick you up at the airport and take you to the dealer of your choice if you don't mind riding in my Yaris without ABS and side curtain airbags. Don't worry, our traffic is not as bad as 494 in Bloomington.
    That is good to know, thanks. I may take you up on that, if and when Toyota does something to improve the driving position in the Yaris, improves the gauges, and makes the hatch with ABS, six airbags, and 60/40 rear seat available for around $13k. Hopefully within the next year or so, which is when I need to add a car to the family fleet.
    Memphis would be a cool town to go take in some blues and/or rock/country music shows after you score your Yaris.

I was falling hard for the Yaris sedan in 2006 while living in Pocatello, ID. I'd drive in to the Toyota lot where there was a red 2007 Yaris sedan selling for $14,995 for the longest time. One day I went in there and it was gone.

But our Sportage 4X4 was running like a champ and I just didn't feel completely right about getting that Yaris. I also test drove a 2006 Polar White Scion xA in 5-speed form up in Idaho Falls, ID. Ya know that little monster was loaded to the gills for $14,495, also a decent deal. What is cool about Toyota products is they hold their value like no other common man's car.

The xA was also just not a good fit for us as well and I just stopped looking with any serious intent. That was until we moved to Arizona and Mitsubishi started releasing photos of their new Lancer. Oh, before that I was drooling over the 2007 Suzuki SX4, which I think would be a good little rig, too. I am glad I waited for the new world order Lancer, though.

Right now I can tell you with complete honesty that there is no other rig on the market that interests me. That is not changing as I enjoy my Lancer GTS, so I think I made a great choice for us.

I was looking over MT's 2008 preview issue and noticed how they ranked the Accent and Yaris (5 star scale, where 5 stars = "you gotta drive this before you die"):

Accent: 3 stars = "Right on the money"
    Yaris: 2.5 stars = somewhere between "For your neighbors" (2 stars) and "Right on the money"

To put that in perspective, they ranked most cars between 2 and 3.5, with cars they regard highly like the Accord and Camry (2007 COTY) as 3.5. Not many 5s, or even 4s, there.

They also mentioned Accent is getting standard XM radio and TPMS for 2008, and revised gauges on the GLS and SE. Yaris is getting an S trim level for the hatch.
    ....what changes are in store for the Yaris liftback for '08. This car sorely needs a tach and cruise control. Hopefully those items will be included for the '08's.
    I would expect a tach at least would be on the S trim line. Cruise would be real nice also, as would a driver's seat height adjuster (standard on the sedan), and standard 60/40 rear seat that slides (my '85 Civic had that). And side airbags, and maybe even ABS like the xD. But that would bump up the price of the Yaris near that of the xD. Maybe they could make up for it partly by making A/C optional. I'd rather do without A/C than stuff like side airbags, but maybe that's because I live in Minnesota.
    I agree that it needs the cruise control and the 60/40 rear seat (per Backy) as standard, but that's about it. You can add a Scanguage II for $160 that will give you the tach function and about 30 other functions along with it. A 5 door hatch would also be nice, but apparently is out of the question. If you listen to Al Bore, you won't have to worry about winters much longer in Minnesota anyway. I think that standard A/C is almost a necessity, even if you don't use (like me), because it hurts resale so much, due to fact that it is so expensive to install it at a later date.
    I'm in agreement with the MT's perspective on the Accent and the Yaris. As a matter of fact, my report card had given a 6/10 on the Accent and 5/10 on the Yaris. My son pointed out the face of the Yaris is just too goofy looking for him - well, that one is certainly off his list, as I continue to help him looking for his first car.
    kind of like a smiling...ummm...dolphin? Or clown?

To me it's not a horrible look, kind of impish and clown-ish in a non-offensive sort of way. Just like Toyota and another shady reason why I just can't seem to dig actually spending real pesos on a Toyota product. :D

...are referring to the looks of the sedan or the liftback (the two models actually have different front ends), but I actually love the looks of the liftback. The sedan looks to much like the Corolla for my tastes (nothing wrong with the Corolla by any means, but that's what I have now and I'm going for something with a bit different look). If you haven't seen one yet, you should check out the look of the liftback with either the 15" factory alloys, or some nice 16" or 17" aftermarket wheels. It makes a big difference.
    This is one of the main reasons I favor the Accent SE. And you had stated, larger wheels (standard 16s), along with sport-tuned suspension, close to the level of the Tib. The sport shifter just makes it so much fun. Maunal of course :)
    is classicly cute. Overall it has a pleasing, cute shape. If a LB was what I wanted(I need a 4-door rig)then I would've test drove a Yaris LB when new-car shopping five months ago. The front end design and shaping looks better on the LB than the sedan, IMO.

I agree, the Yaris hatch is really a cute car. I think my daughter would love the looks of it (my next car will go to her in a few years). I like the Accent hatch's looks also; it has classis 3-door hatch lines. I especially like its rear end and side profile.
    The Yaris lift is extremely cute, and I find it a bit strange that a 49 year old, 6' 215 lb man such as myself is so attracted to it. Shouldn't I be attracted to something more manly like a Corvette or a pickup? Is there something wrong with me?
    Obviously. You need to go out and buy a Dodge Ram truck, NOW!!! :)
    with you. You need to go out and buy one of those new pick-em-up trucks that are getting so big and so long that they're starting to take on the shape of buses! :)

...if I were to buy one of those Hemi powered trucks, 3000 miles a month divided by 8 MPG....hmmm...I'm not too good at math, but that would be a ton of money each month just for gas. I'd better keep looking at the "cute" vehicles.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    It has to have that "HEMI" though.

van
    Or the Cummins diesel - now THAT is definitely an un-cute engine. :)
    I think the last several posts show that we are all pretty much in agreement that this class of cars is certainly the best way to meet our transportation needs in this day and age. Arguing about whether the Accent is a better car than the Yaris or vice versa is pretty much a case of splitting hairs. Either one is preferrable to a big Pick-up or SUV. Now if we can only convince our spouses of that, we will really have accomplished something.
    While the cars are similar in size and purpose, I (and some professional auto reviewers) think there are significant differences between them--which is why comparison discussions like this are useful.

I don't have the problem of convincing my spouse of anything. She has her MPV and is happy; I have my small car and am happy with that, and will continue to buy no more car than I need. At least, until my kids have all flown the coop and I get my (used) Bimmer. :)
    2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I am very impressed with that sedan and I'm getting around 20mpg city and 30mpg highway. This is good enough mileage for me but I know that many of you would prefer better than that. I just love the bodystyling done on this car.

Since this thread is about the 2007 Toyota Yaris liftback vs. the 2007 Hyundai Accent I will say that I would probably lean towards the Yaris LB if it was just between these two cars. I like the Yaris' styling better. I would need to test drive these two in a back-to-back manner, though, because I would have some concerns that the Yaris LB might get blown around more in the heavy winds and by semi-trucks on the freeways. I'd want to take both on an extensive freeway trip before I bought either one. I'm a 4-door guy though I do like both of these cars and small cars in general.

Your wife has an MPV too? What year? We bought my wife's MPV new in '03. Overall, we're very happy with it. It had a couple of issues that were all taken care of under warranty. It could be a little easier on gas, but it is a minivan and we did kind of expect it not to be that great on gas. Sorry, off topic.
    2002, bought used last year. Yes, it's off topic. :blush:
    My point exactly, my wife's 2002 Lexus LS430 EPA ratings are the same as your wives' MPV ratings, less than half of the gas mileage that my Yaris gets. More car than she needs, but the Yaris is not consistent with the image that she feels she must project as a Realtor. Very similar to the guys that feel they need the big trucks to confirm their manhood. We are on the cutting edge though, things will change as oil prices continue to escalate.
    I have to agree with your wife. Sad but true, Realtors must project a certain image. My wife didn't say anything negative when we traded our Grand Caravan for a compact 5-door hatch in 2004, but after a couple of years I sensed and then verified that she really missed her minivan. And in some ways I missed it too--it's great for cross-country trips, hauling Scouts and my kid's friends around, lugging stuff that the hatch can't handle. But the Grand Caravan was way too big. I felt the used MPV was a nice compromise. It will be our last big vehicle, though. In a few years we'll be down to just my daughter at home and we'll go for a smaller vehicle--I have my eye on the 94-mpg (rumored) next-gen Prius.

An Accent or Yaris would be way too small for my wife's use. But one large vehicle in the family is enough. All I need is something for commuting with room for 5 in a pinch.
  • litesong1litesong1 Member Posts: 39
    Nice thread on the Yaris-Accent cars. Got my wife a 2008 Accent that she really likes. She doesn't love cars, so the word 'likes' is her max. I have a Ford Festiva, an old Kia car, that I love & that used to average 45 MPG.

Got a Dodge Caliber too with a CVT transmission. If you needed anything considerably bigger than the Yaris or Accent, I recommend the Caliber. The CVT gives a true magic carpet ride. It really is a magic carpet ride, very fine in stop & go traffic. Lets you kick back. Even if you don't enjoy stop & go, it really eases your way in traffic. Also, the CVT is wondrous in the mountains, letting you flow thru the mountains....yes, that magic carpet again...truly an elegant motion. The Caliber is cutting itself a very reliable & durable path too. Truedelta.com is showing v. good repair statistics for the Caliber. Also, feather footing the CVT, I'm averaging 31.4 MPG with a mountain average of 32.7MPG over 4000 foot passes.

Sorry for barging in, but just thought anyone entertaining an alternative to Yaris or Accent might like to know.
    congratulate you on your Kia/Ford Festiva. Although I never owned one of those, they caught my eye back in 1988 when they were direct competition to the Chevy Sprint. Remember the Chevy Sprint. Chevy sold truckloads of them but Ford sold truckloads of Festiva's as well.

When I saw that Kia made the Festiva for Ford I was off to research this fine South Korean manufacturer of automobiles. I bought my first Kia in May of 1999 when I traded my 1997 Ford Escort sedan in on one. The rest is history and they just keep improving year over year. Now they are ultra-competitive and making excellent cars and SUV's for the masses.

I had my eye on a 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan for over 4 months in Idaho and decided to hang on to my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. I eventually traded that Sportage 4X4 in on a '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in March of '07. I'm glad I waited but a possible return to Kia is a possibility.

I have read of more than one Edmunds poster saying that their Ford Festiva had 175,000-225,000 miles and they were still counting the miles up. That says a lot.

A also have the CVT transmission in my Lancer GTS and like it a lot. I have the option of just putting the car in drive or putting it in CVT paddle-shift mode and playing. It's a blast to have and really gathers up the car's 152 horses into quicker blasts off from start and on up to 30-35 mph, quicker than the standard automatic 'D' mode.

Hi iluvmysephia1....Sounds like we've been on parallel auto courses. :D

Do you have any feelings for Electric Vehicles(EVs)....not hybrids? My northwest produces electric power, kilowatt to HP with only 4% of the pollution of an internal combustion engine(ICE). & EVs are 3 times more efficient than ICE.So if battery technology keeps advancing, someday I will own an EV. If you get into EVs, then our parallel course would continue. Actually, I own an Electric Bike(EB) which produces 1/700th the pollution of an ICE. Even with my bad back & arthritic body, I feel like I'm a kid cycling around the valley that I used to pedal thru 50 years ago.
    A follow up on my wife's manual 2008 Accent. She piloted Accent thru a long winter averaging 33MPG. Accent has performed 100% without 1 squeak, creak or rattle. She allowed me to take Accent on 3 trips over 1400, 3000, 4000 & 5500 foot mountain passes. Accent got spectacular MPG...41.5, 42.6, & 45.2MPG! Again, these trips weren't on flat roads, but high passes traveling from 80 foot elevation.

My fairly lethargic opinion of Accent has blossomed fully, specially with its continued easy functioning. The short-shift dealer installed 5 speed shifter combined with an nice engaging clutch is the 2nd best combo I've ever used.
    While traveling on a country road thru a marshy area, a black bear scurried out of the brush onto the road in front of the Accent. I slammed on the brakes, missing him by 5 feet. Across the road he ran, crashed into the brush & was gone. He was a muscular bear, with a clean even coat & healthy...healthy enough to run fast & live another day.

The moral of the story: when looking for wild animals, make sure to look right in front of yourself, too! ;) :surprise:
  • plaaaaaneplaaaaane Member Posts: 32
    Definitely go for the pickup. The 'Vette has been a girls car for about, oh, 38 years now. Ever since they dropped the manny. The only drivers you see in a 'vette are either hot chicks or old men who have a bumper sticker visible only to hot chicks which says " I NEED ANDROGEL WITH A VIAGRA CHASER!!!".
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    Women who want to meet you need a conversation starter. The cute Yaris HB has been a great conversation starter. People still come up and ask me about the car. Half are women. You can't get that in a Vette. Women laugh at guys with Vettes.
  • ellenbettyellenbetty Member Posts: 7
    I like my Toyota Yaris because I could mount my navigation system behind the steering wheel. Cannot do that with a Hyundai Accent. If you are worried about being side impacted then getting the Safety package is a must. I had a Ford Ranger with a pop up navigations system where the radio was installed. I liked my Toyota Yaris navigation set up better. So I traded in the Ford Ranger for a second Toyota Yaris 3 door liftback.
This discussion has been closed.