Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• carbuyer62carbuyer62 Member Posts: 5
    Who cares about the Headlights Its still not worth 8k more then the Pathfinder. And Yoeddy can not have bought the QX4 3.2k below MSRP the dealers are not selling the QX4 below invoice I also don't believe they will ever sell the QX4 below invoice later in the year either they are in demand besides the Holdback is only 1.5% they would be taking a loss if they sold the QX4 to Yoeddy for 3.2K less then MSRP.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    Carbuyer62, I can fax you the paper work if you'd like. My QX4 was $40,295 MSRP and I got it for $37. Holdback has to do with invoice and not MSRP.

If you're going to post, do everyone a favor and give correct facts. Everytime you've posted, someone has corrected you with true facts. From the actually price you paid for your vehicle, to Xenon headlights which you don't have, to the leather which are different (if you sat in both vehicles, you'd know that the leather in the pf is perforated while the QX4 is not), to the LE being the exact car as the QX4 (which a number of people have listed the differences). Obviously, you don't know what you're talking about and must be jealous. Your initial post was even a reply back to someone's post so, you must have some pent up frustration for having a PF and not a QX4. Why are you posting on a QX4 forum? No one wants you here. See ya, thanks for coming.
    If you read previous posting on these forums, you'll find out that a number of other owners have gotten their QX4's for less than MSRP and some for $3k under MSRP. Facts not fiction
  • carbuyer62carbuyer62 Member Posts: 5
    I have posted with the correct facts. The bottom line is the QX4 is the same mechanical SUV as the Pathfinder made by the mother company Nissan However I have stated several times the QX4 looks nicer and has a better cosmetic look. The question Yoeddy is.... is it worth 8k more? There is no question as to the QX4 being a better looking and better quality (cosmetic look) then the Pathfinder again the question is ... is it worth 8k more for the same mechanical SUV?
    That's all don't read into my posts as you are trying to do. And the last time I looked the USA is a FREE COUNTRY and I can post anywhere I want.
    And as far as you purchasing the QX4 for 3.2k below MSRP that would mean you purchased the QX4 below invoice. and I find that hard to believe on a 2001 QX4 however if you are talking about the 2000 QX4 I can believe that they are trying to get rid of the 2000 QX4.
  • nat64nat64 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2001 QX4 for $36,500. I have no reason to lie about the price. The leather is better than the Pathfinder. And by the way I said the 4WD is not yet available on the Pathfinder. why would I say the leather is not available when I already said the leather on the QX4 is better. You really ought to pay more attention when you are reading these posts. You are bragging about things on the Pathfinder that aren't even there like the xenon headlights. You don't even know what is on your own vehicle! This is an Infiniti topic, why don't you go find a Nissan topic.
    The Pathfinder is nice for people who can't afford luxury.
    Carbuyer, why have all of your facts been corrected by someone else? Invoice for my vehicle was $35.7k and I bought it for $37k for a 2001 QX4 4x4. How is that under invoice? Please use a calculator and figure this out for me? The $8k difference you come up with is wrong since you're using MSRP for the QX4. Also, I've posted the difference between the PF and my QX4 was $5k and I then proceed to list why the $5k was justified. As nat64, said go back to the nissan forums. You're not going to be able to change our minds. Jealous? I think so.
    The $37k for my QX4 included $1k for the Gold Emblem package which happens to include 24k plated gold emblems. Why spend the $1k? B/c I deserve it. Right carbuyer? And no, I won't tell you where I live but plan on puting up picks of my ride on a website for you (carbuyer) to admire. Ciao!
  • cheri8cheri8 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2001 QX4 (Tuscan Beige) for about a month and a half now and have found NOTHING to complain about. And yes, I knew I could get the PF cheaper, but I, too, am worth the extra $$. The look of the QX4 is beefier, the seats are more comfortable, and I don't see my car every time I turn a corner. In fact, I have yet to see another one on the road!
  • s4andqx4s4andqx4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a hard time getting my left leg comfortable on long drive. The main culprit is the lack of a real dead pedal. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    I've read the last 69 posts and wonder why anti-QX4 people are here stating that the QX4 is not worth the extra $8,000. I doubt the number is accurate and the difference is maybe half or $4,000. At least that was the difference on my 2000 QX4 when I compared it to the 2000 PF LE. Either way, this is forum to discuss to provide honest feedback, accurate numbers as well as representations, not relentlessly criticizing and making the same comments. My QX4 has been wonderful and zero problems. I am glad I spent the extra money. Just my two cents worth.
  • jadelady01jadelady01 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for input from any and all 2001 QX4 owners. My husband and I have our eye on a '01 QX4, 2WD version, with premium package, sunroof, etc., but no GPS. The working price now is $35,350. We originally planned to buy, but have considered the lease option-- however the terms are not amazing: 3 year lease with $1,500 down, $639/month, $22,402 residual value. I live in Houston, TX and am dealing with the same dealership I bought my 1994 Infiniti Q45 from (love the car and the service, which is why we're back considering the SUV). Am I just looking for a price break that isn't there? We are impressed with the vehicle, but the back seats are not the roomiest in the world, but most of the other features we truly like. I appreciate your comments and feedback. Hope you're enjoying your QX4's!
  • blackflagblackflag Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend and I went shopping for her new SUV. She was bent on walking off with the QX4 but the salesman was the worst I had ever met. I was going to consider and I30 later this year but was so turned off I have decided not visit an Infiniti lot. Examples 1. He kept referring to it as "My Infiniti." 2. Did not know his standard and option equipment well. 3. I got the impression he did not think she could afford the vehicle. 4. Very conceited attitude and non courteous. 5. We came back from the test drive and immediately another salesperson and customer were inside the vehicle!! I was appalled by this. We went to lunch then test drove a Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer) back to Infiniti, when he refused to even bargain ("We are a consumer based pricing company.") below MSRP, we drove the Explorer back and drove home with it that day. She bought the Explorer Eddie Bauer for $33K (incld $1500 rebate) with Wood Grain trim, Door and Sunroof wind deflectors added in with no installation cost added. She was also treated with some respect and courtesy. I would consider buying from them except they don't have the car I'm looking for.
  • ppnffppnff Member Posts: 65
    I am sorry to hear about your sales experience. I do not think your experience is necessarily reflective of Infiniti, but simply a broader problem across the automobile sales sector. The Infiniti sales dealer (Infiniti of Lisle) from which I purchased by QX4 was very polite, informed, and overall treated you with respect. They committed to very aggressive deal and delivered what they promised. They are also the largest Midwest dealerships and have a track record of excellent service. There are some dealerships that for some reason or lack of a reason have some really 'bad apples." If you really want the I30, either talk to sales manager and calmly explain to him the reason why you do not intend to ever buy anything from them and will advise others to avoid them, and you will take your business elsewhere. Depending on the caliber of the sales manager, he may offer a deal to keep you happy and to earn your business. However, this may be a short-term solution to a messed-up dealership as presumably you would need service for your I30 at the same dealership with no commitment towards you. There are some bad sales folks across all different brands, but don't let them prevent you from buying an I30 or other vehicle. Find the good dealerships, and let them earn your business. Good luck!
  • jscatenajscatena Member Posts: 61
    In Michigan, try Pfeiffer Infiniti. I had a very courteous sales experience.
  • moose18moose18 Member Posts: 13
    I am new to this site but not to owning Pathfinders. We have three in the family and they have been outstanding cars except for the lack of engine power especially if you plan to pull some weight on a regular basis.
    I have now visited and driven the 2001 QX4 twice in the last week and also the 2001 LE Pathfinder.
    While there are absolutely similarites between the two vehicles, for those who have the money, like the looks and "feel" of "added" value or quality that the QX4 has, then it is all in the beholders eye. That is one reason why we all didn't marry the same women!!!
    So we can argue the merits back and forth about these cars but I feel that with the upgrade in the engines these year, that it is nice to have a choice between two cars when one considers price, reliability, quality and appearances when compared to the competition.
    Also,much of the disagreement in price paid can be due to many factors most of which, in my opinion, is not to deceive anyone but to pass on information based on a honest misunderstanding of the MSRP and the dealers invoice price and the confusion created by the interchanging of those words when one looks at the emails going back and forth.
    It is nice to have a site to transfer this knowledge and experience to each other in such a rapid fashion even with the occasional misinformation. Adios!!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    There should be Lease Deals going on for the QX4, according to this Edmund's Incentive Page. Your dealership might be trying to take you for a ride. I don't think that there would be a price break for a while as the vehicle just came out and seems to be selling well.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    what price for a fully loaded 01 QX4 is on the streets lately? Edmunds TMV for the car jump quite a bit in the last few weeks.
  • 01qx4lover01qx4lover Member Posts: 1
    they even thru in gold package and wind deflector.
    Was that $34.8 for the 4x4 and fully loaded? If it was, that was a great price. What part of the country are you in?
  • wsdlicwsdlic Member Posts: 2
    I have 1300 miles on my 2wd titanium, beige leather, luxury package, tow, sunroof, deflector. Paid $34,200. last month in San Diego. Few complaints. It does "buck" on I-5. For some reason the road sections seem to be the wrong length for wheelbase? Mine had Michelin tires that may be stiffer than BFG's. Tires were up to 45psi when I left dealer. Dropped to recommended 35. Seems to be lots of stock here. Finance incentives (3.9/4) and $399. lease deals here. Only one dealer, DISCOVERY, with three shops in San Diego. There were no finance deals when I purchased, so I used home equity loan.
  • cream130cream130 Member Posts: 2
    i have 3,900 miles on my titanium qx4 and love it. the lights are off the hook and interior gets many compliments. i have a few gripes with this truck but still love it. as somebody else allready posted i find myself constantly moving my left leg all over the place. i cant seem to get it comfortable. the sound system isnt that good compared to other bose systems.and occasionally i get a humming noise on the inside of the truck when the truck is in motion. the day i brought it to dealer it conveniently dissappeared much to my dismay. but now it is back. i get plenty of looks in this truck and plenty of them come from pathfinder drivers.
  • cream130cream130 Member Posts: 2
    i have 4,000 miles on my truck and my brake drums on my druck in the rear are all rusted and look horrible. i brought it to the dealers attention and they said it was normal. i found that hard to beleive. how could this be normal?it looks horrible. anybody else experiance this problem?
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    A few more comments... I can't believe a $30k-something vehicle has rear drums. They are rusted already on the car we drove and look horrible... very noticable through the 17" wheels.

A $13,000 VW Golf has rear discs for goodness sake. I'm thinking if I really liked the way the QX4 looked, I could forgo the round clock, auto AWD, fake wood and HID's and buy a pathfinder AND a sentra for the Mrs.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    The Ford Explorer's Control Trac auto AWD system is nowhere as sophisticated or as transparent as the QX4's system. It is much cruder and less effective. Oh, I don't own a QX4, BTW.
    I've had my 2001 QX4 4x4 for a month and absolutely love it. No problems. After test riding it, I couldn't keep my Explorer any longer. B/c of the rear fender moldings the rear seat doors are a little difficult to get into and I wish you could open the rear window hatch without using the key or hitting the button on the driver side door.

To rebutt jmatero's statements, the difference in pricing on a similar equipped PF LE 4x4 and QX4 4x4 is a little more than $4k. Where do you get $12k? Based on $38k for the QX4, (BTW - I got my QX4 loaded except the navigation system for $37k) a similar equipped PF would be $26k. For $26k, you get a basic PF SE. Also, I've found the all of the seats to be quite comfortable, no complaints from my girlfriend. The 15mpg is due to the fact that the vehicle is new and the engine hasn't broken in. Expect to get 19mpg after 3000 miles. I'm only 5'9" and I have yet to stain my pants walking into the vehicle. I don't have the longest legs so, could it be that some people don't know how to step up into a SUV?
    My sunroof is lightly tinted and is UV protected. As long as you have the AC going you shouldn't get a sun burn. It shouldn't be any different than the sun coming thru the front side windows (they're not tinted, but have UV protection). In regard to drum brakes, based on the fact that the rear brakes really only provide stablization and only provide a tiny amount of real braking. I don't think it's a big deal. If anything, when it gets wet, drum brakes won't slip which sometimes happens with disk brakes. Based on the number of problems, it sounds like the vehicle might be a lemon. I've had no problems at all.

For the $4k difference between the PF and QX4, I found the QX4 worth it due to:

Xenon Headlights
    Auto 4WD
    Softer suspension
    17" Wheels provides better handling even with the sofer suspension
    Better warranty
    Better customer service and dealer experience (I get my [non-permissible content removed] kissed when I go to the dealer)
    Better leather
    Better exterior and interior
    Better paint job
    Prestige

Last year, the QX4 was voted the best dollar value SUV over $30k by Intellichoice USA. That's before all of the improvements they've put on the 2001.
  • jimmydelrayjimmydelray Member Posts: 38
    Actually if you take the figures from Edmunds the QX4 is a little over $4000.00 more at dealer's cost than the LE comparably equipped. I am dickering now on one and I would much rather have the QX4 for all of the reason that yoeddy expressed. It even smells better!!!

Thanks,

Jimmy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check it against The Edmunds Maintenance Guide. I bet our estimate is cheaper.

Steve, Host
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you are quite picky. I saw how you dissected an Aztek in another forum. It seems that QX4 is better put together, so you could not break anything off easily. But you still managed to notice a few imps.
    Regarding some of the above comments about price. If you compare the qx4 and LE pathfinder (not SE) and than spend some time negotiating, the fact is that the difference between these two excellent SUV's is 5k plus a few hundred bucks either way. With the four dealers, I dealt with in the Maryland area comparing these two vehicles, the difference was "never" above 5k. My remarks in posting #75 will cover some of my other thoughts about the two cars attributes without having to repeat them. Concerning back drums versus disc, the advantages you may thing you may gain from having rear disc will not be significant enough when you consider the amount of braking they contribute versus the front brakes. (see previous postings on this subject). Rust on the rear drums , if they are on the outside, although not looking good are not a problem. However, you can ask the dealer to check to see if the rust is only exterior and not inside the drum and also ask for a spray or whatever that might at least help with the appearance.
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    I don't own either the QX4 or PF, but have considered both. I continue to be surprised at how many reviewers criticize the QX4 as an overpriced PF.

First, there are many examples of the same platform being used for both lower-end and higher priced models, in cars as well as SUVs. None seem to draw the criticism that the QX4 receives.

Second, I agree that the "real" price difference is far less if you compare apples to apples. It is also clear to me that the AWD and suspension of the QX4 is much more sophisticated than that of the PF. (I actually prefer the QX4 AWD to that of the ML). This upgrade alone comes close to justifying the price difference in my book, let alone the value of the Infinity badge and other goodies...
    Just curious, but why would you prefer the QX4's 4WD system to the ML?
  • fred132fred132 Member Posts: 22
    There is a lot to like about the ML, but I don't prefer the braking-based approach to limiting wheel slippage. If braking slipping wheels doesn't work, it then cuts the throttle which would drive me crazy. Call me old-fashioned.
    I think you got it the other way around. What happens is if the wheels are slipping, throttle reduction is first applied (if you're going fast enough). The brakes on the spinning wheel(s) are then applied. In order for this system to be activated, the wheel that is losing traction has to be spinning 3mph faster (in high range) or 1.2 mph faster (in low range) than the other wheels with traction.

Note that this is done transparently and usually
    the only way you notice that the system is active
    is by the blinking indicator light in the middle of the speedometer. In most situations, 4ETS is only activated for a few seconds at a time. Spinning wheels are useless anyway since all of the engine power leaks out to that axle.

FWIW, the ML's 4WD system is much less likely to slip in the first place because the torque split ratio is set permanently at 48% front/52% aft vs. the QX4's 0% front/100% aft. The QX4's system requires slippage to occur first before the front wheels are activated, whereas the ML's are already activated at all time. This permanent near equal torque split also provides neutral handling in all weather, from dry to snowy.
  • slattery2slattery2 Member Posts: 3
    How's the pricing on a "fully loaded" (4WD) QX-4 in the Wash DC area or within one day's drive? I am in the market to buy NOW and am considering buying a new 2000 and having it shipped? Should I hold out for a 2001 or grab one of the few 2000's left? I know the 2001 is supposed to be wonderful(comparatively speaking), but I don't know if the difference in price will be worth it...my company will pay up to $32K, but I will have to cover the rest so it's a "free" 2000 or out of pocket $$ for a 2001...

Is it too soon for any real deals out there on a 2001?

comments??? advice????
  • invegas2invegas2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been reading in this forum and hope I'm not hammered too badly, but I just bought a 2001 QX4 for 32,800 (not including tax). I read the info on edmunds and looked in consumer reports, but was pretty confused when I got into price negotiations with the dealer, how do you think I did?
  • eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    Just purchased an 2001 QX4 2wd with
    premium, sunroof and rear wind deflector
    for $34,100. Dallas dealers are not
    going below $34,000 for the options
    that I purchased.
    I traded in a 96 I30 with
    79,000 miles. I purchased this vehicle
    for my sister, and she is going to love
    the HID headlights with 0-3 height
    adjustments. I have approximatly
    150 miles, and I am averaging 17 mpg in
    both city and highway driving. I will
    be delivering the QX4 to MD. after 5000 miles.

I am still in the market to purchase
    an 2001 CL-S to complement my other suv/car,
    2000 RX300 AWD, which has around 6,000 miles.
    Both suv's make significant amount of
    road noise when traveling greater than 65mph.

Their are differences between the QX4
    and the RX300, but the main difference
    that I noticed are the ride quality
    of these two platforms.

The things that I do not like about
    the QX4 are, first, the Bose system
    on my QX4 lacks the clarity of my
    96 I30. Second, it is difficult for
    anyone over 5" 11" to get into the back
    seat of an QX4, the rear doors are
    really that small. Third, braking
    on the QX4 is not as impressive as
    the RX300.

Invegas2, what options came with your
    vehicle and which dealer?

If you got the same options as I did, then
    you got yourself an one heck of an deal or
    your pulling a fast one on the edmunds
    board.
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    if you have only 150 miles, how could you possibly have any sort of mileage reading. i would think at least 3 tanks minumum might be a reasonable basis for a first impression. gas mileage is generally a very sore topic among qx4 owners, for the most part, i have never seen anything close to the 15 city/19 highway posted on my 98's window sticker. i usually see about 11/14, sometimes better, sometimes worse. 220 to 250 miles per tank of all around driving, filling up after the light goes on.

ace
  • psherrodpsherrod Member Posts: 11
    About a month ago, I got my first opportunity to look at the GPS navigation system offered on 2001 QX4. However, at that time the dealer had not received the CD with the navigation data for Nashville, TN, so I had to content myself with examining the unit in the car, studying its setup menus and carefully reading the instruction manual.

The dealer called me last week to let me know that they had received the CD with the Nashville data, and he invited me to drop by for a test drive today. I have just completed that drive, and I want to share my experience.

The navigation system lived up to my expectations: It is a very well designed system that is aesthetically pleasing, easy to use, useful and entertaining.

Before beginning the drive, I spent about 15 minutes in the car at the dealer’s lot getting familiar with the system setup and operation. When you first power it on, it displays a legal disclaimer apparently written by some lawyer who was afraid someone might follow the guidance into a ditch. You must press “OK” to advance to the main navigation screen and options.

The QX4 navigation system has a color touch screen so you can rapidly select options and enter alphabetical letters by touching the screen rather than having to use a joystick to scroll a cursor around through menus and graphical keyboards. This is a major advantage that the QX4 system has over its competitors. The screen is larger than those in most other cars and is positioned fairly high on the instrument panel. You can manually dim the display for night driving.

There are many setup options available (it has a scroll bar), but once you set them they are retained for future trips, so you don’t have to mess with setup every time. For example, you can chose fastest route or shortest route, avoid expressways, avoid toll roads and avoid ferries. I selected the fastest route and allowed all modes of travel (we don’t have many toll roads in the South, thank God). You can also choose whether the map display has North at the top or whether it should rotate to show your current direction at the top. Another screen shows information about the number and location of GPS satellites that are available for navigation. In addition, it provides your latitude, longitude and altitude. The latitude/longitude information could be useful if you broke down or got stuck in a snowdrift somewhere and were calling for assistance.

After I finished going through the setup options, I pressed the “Dest” button located next to the screen to call up the destination selection screen. There are quite a few ways to specify your destination: street address, address book, street intersections and point of interest -- gas station, ATM, Infiniti dealers, hospitals, universities, bowling allies, ice skating rinks (I kid you not), and many other categories. If your location can’t be found by any other means, you can use the “Map” option and identify your destination by positioning a cross hair to a location on the map; I believe this is the only time that you have to use a joystick to make a selection.

I used the street address destination option and entered the address of my office, which is about 12 miles away from the dealer’s location. I was able to enter the address quickly by pressing keys on a graphical keyboard shown on the touch screen. After entering the address, the computer took about 8 seconds to calculate a route. We pulled out of the dealer’s lot, and the navigation system told us to enter the interstate ramp to head north to Nashville.

The navigation system provides both visual and audible guidance. The audible guidance is essential for safe use of the system while driving on busy roads. The audible guidance is provided by a pleasing and clear synthesized female voice. I have heard many other synthesized computer “voices”, and I would rate this as one of the best. It is very easy to understand and does not have the pieced-together sound that I’ve heard from some other systems. (It doesn’t have a Japanese accent either.) I turned the radio up loud to see what would happen when the navigation system tried to provide guidance over the music. (Would the electronic woman start screaming at me?) I was pleased to learn that Infiniti had considered this situation: when it’s time for guidance, the radio sound drops to a low (but still audible) level, then about a second later the navigation message is heard, then about a second after that the music returns to its normal volume. Cool. You can set the volume for the navigation messages independent of the radio/CD volume. (By the way, the QX4 is very quiet when cruising at 75-80 on an interstate.) There is a “voice” button displayed on the touch-screen that you can press to have the system repeat the last message that it provided. When cruising on the interstate, the voice button causes it to say how far you are from your destination. It also tells you how far the next turn is either in miles, tenths of miles or feet depending on how close you are.

While cruising north on I65, we passed several interchanges. Each time, the navigation system audibly reminded us to “Continue north on I65”. I became a little concerned when we cruised by my usual exit without any instructions to exit. However, there are a number of viable routes from the interstate to my office, so I decided to wait and see what the computer had in mind. Shortly later, the computer advised me to get into the left lane and continue on I65 at a point where it splits with I40. After that, we were advised to take the next exit. Guidance instructions are provided in plenty of time to allow you to change lanes and get ready to exit.

I then realized the route the computer had chosen: it was a good route and possibly even a minute faster than my usual route depending on traffic and the timing of traffic lights; however, unbeknownst to the computer, some of the roads between our location and my office are undergoing major construction and are closed. One of the setup options allows you to tell the system whether you want it to recalculate automatically the best route from your present position even if your have deviated from the originally calculated route. If you don’t turn on the reroute option, it will guide you back to the original route if you get off it. I had engaged the automatic reroute option, so I looked forward to throwing it a curve by turning on a side street to bypass the construction area.

The system didn’t reprimand me for deviating from the route, but immediately suggested that I turn right at the next corner, which would normally have been the best choice given where we were. However, that road was also under construction, so we proceeded on. The computer advised me to turn right at the next corner, which was possible, and I complied. Because of the detour, we then had to go away from my office for a short distance on a one-way street. I was pleased to see that the computer knew that it was a one-way street and did not ask me to turn onto the street going the wrong way (potential errors in the database like this are probably why they show the disclaimer when you turn it on).

After a few more correct turns, we were cruising down the street to my office. The navigation voice confidently announced that we had arrived at our destination when we still had about 300 feet to go. I don’t know if the premature announcement was to give us time to find a parking place, or whether its database of street addresses may be off by 300 feet, or whether there were GPS inaccuracies. In any case, I successfully found my office.

The navigation display has two modes: “Birdview” and planar. The planar view is just like looking a flat map: streets are shown with the planned route and your current location. This is the only type of view available on other car navigation systems. As far as I know, the “Birdview” system is unique to Infiniti (and Xanavi, a company partially owned by Nissan that makes the system). The Birdview display is shown from a perspective position located several hundred feet above and behind the car (i.e., like a bird or angel flying behind you). You see the road and routes extending into the distance and you see the car on the route in the foreground. Because of the natural perspective effect, roads close to your position are larger and have more detail. For an example image, go to http://www.xanavi.co.jp/en/nav/index.html or http://www.infiniti.com/docs/fr_qx4.html Their example shows major buildings as three-dimensional objects extending up from the ground. I didn’t notice this as we were driving into Nashville, but it may have been there. The Birdview display is very useful because it lets you see where you are and what lies ahead in the distance. I used it consistently while cruising on the interstate.

When you approach an intersection, the navigation display switches automatically from Birdview to a zoomed-in planar map showing details about the intersection and your route through it. To avoid trying to make the synthesized voice pronounce all the local street names, it simply instructs you to turn left or right at the next street. The name of the street that it wants you to turn onto is displayed at the top of the map. It does know how to say “Interstate 65 north”.

At present, the navigation databases only have detailed street information for a relatively small number of major cities. For example, in Tennessee, Nashville and Knoxville have been mapped, but Memphis and Chattanooga have not. Satellite towns outside the Nashville city limits also have not been mapped yet. For these unmapped areas, only interstates and major roads are shown on the map, and you cannot use the street address selection to set a destination.

Since the dealer is located in a satellite town south of Nashville (Franklin, TN), we were not able to use a street address to set our return destination. Instead, we used the Map option with the cross hair to identify our destination on the map. I noticed that a small flag with the letter “S” (start?) on it was shown at our starting point, so I centered the cross hair on it.

When we were a few miles south of the Nashville boundary, I tried to throw the navigation system a curve by telling it that we needed to detour around a mile of interstate. You do this by touching the screen, selecting “Detour” from a popup menu, then selecting 1, 5, 10 or 20 miles for the length of your route that you must detour around. After thinking about it for about 10 seconds, the computer announced that it was unable to find a feasible detour. I believe this happened because we were outside the detailed Nashville street area, and it did not know about side streets that it could have used for the detour. The rest of the trip back was uneventful, but it did not tell us to exit from the interstate -- presumably because it did not have the detailed street information to know how to get from the interstate to the point we marked on the map. It did announce that we had arrived at our destination just as we turned into the dealer’s lot.

I have only a couple of complaints: First, I would like the map display to appear automatically when you turn on the ignition without having to acknowledge their legal disclaimer every time. Second, the navigation map and the climate control system share the right portion of the touch screen. The climate control information (inside/outside temperature, vents activated, automatic/manual mode, etc.) is shown whenever you adjust the climate control settings, causing the map to shrink into the left half of the screen. However, when switching between the Birdview and planar displays when going through intersections, the screen sometimes reverted to showing the climate control information even though I had not adjusted the climate. It’s easy to expand the map to full screen by touching it, but I would prefer to never see the climate control information unless I made some adjustments to it. Third, the areas where detailed street maps are available are very limited. If I spend $40k for a car with a $2k navigation option, it would be nice if it could at least navigate through Memphis and guide me home to the suburbs. However, I should point out that the mapping data for all current car systems seems to come from one company, Navtech (http://www.navtech.com), so all brands of navigation systems have the same database limitations. Navtech says they are working hard to extend the mapping.

I enjoyed the test drive and plan to order a navigation system on my QX4 when I decide that I’m ready to spend $40k. I have looked at navigation systems on Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar and Alpine (aftermarket). I believe the Infiniti system is state of the art: the touch panel and Birdview display are important advantages over its competitors. The color display is large and positioned high on the instrument panel making it easy to glance at while driving. The audible guidance is clear and easy to follow. The routing appears to do a good job as long as you are in an area for which detailed street information is available. The automatic reroute system is extremely valuable and works well and effortlessly. I found the system to be very user friendly and easy to operate.
    First, I would like to congratulate psherrod for an excellent evaluation of the navigational system I bought my QX4 without it not being sure that it was worth the extra 2k and not necessarily liking the appearance or size of the remainder of the displays when the GPS screen was placed there.
    Anyhow, I have two questions is for those who have been driving the QX4 for awhile. First, has anyone been using 89 or 91 octane instead of premium (realizing the relatively small additional cost for premium pales in comparison to the overall value or cost of the car)? Many of these engines that recommend premium have sensors built in that allow a car to run on less than premium. Secondly, my dealer mentioned that the preferable mode of driving most times when not raining, etc. is the 2H mode and it is not necessarily good or necessary to leave it in AWD all the time. Any thoughts on this?
  • nendnend Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if the QX4 is available in Europe, no matter which country.
    I want to import a QX4 to Holland, but because of the very high Dollar rate against the Euro it is, at this moment, not of interest to buy one in the US.
    Can anyone tell me where th QX4 is manufactured?
    Can anyone give me an E-mail address or website
    from the manufacturer.
    Thanks,

Peter, Holland
    Sounds like your dealer is full of it. You can leave it in auto 4WD all of the time; in fact, I urge you to do so. The system is 100% RWD until it detects slippage, at which point it automatically and pretty seemlessly transfers power to the front wheels, much faster than you can by manually turning the switch. If that's the way you want to use the 4WD system, then you might as well have bought the Pathfinder with the part-time 4WD system.

Good luck!
    No, the auto 4WD doesn't lock the centre differential. You're right, since it only activates when needed, the fuel economy is exact the same as in 2WD mode. Placing it in 4WD Lock does lock it though; at which point it becomes exactly the same as the Pathfinder's part-time 4WD system (read cannot be turned on on dry surfaces).

Try www.xpel.com for the 3M clear film for the hood.
  • infinitimaninfinitiman Member Posts: 1
    i have a '97 QX4 ....i love the car....my father has a '00 pathfinder LE --- both SUV's are great...however i like the infiniti better but i am having a problem with it....the 'service engine soon' light keeps coming on and it has been reset....i use the 89 octane gas and i am wondering if that could have anything to do with it.....gas milage on my '97 is not 15 like the sticker says.....it is more like 10-12 --- it is not good but the overall package of my '97 and my fathers '00 pathfinder i would prefer the QX4 .... any suggestions on the 'engine service soon' light ??????

richard
    Thanks aling for the info on AWD. That echoed my feelings also.
    I realize the gas subject has been discussed before but I would still like to know if anyone has used less than premium in their QX4 and what the dealers or service people say about it as well as do they really see a significant drop in performance using 89 or 91 octane versus 93 octane. I really doubt if there would be a mileage difference although one posting mentioned a vague difference on one tankfull of each.
    Hi,

I got the Infiniti hood deflector with my QX4. It's not the prettiest thing but it does a great job in protecting the hood. In regard to the grill and bumpers, I decided not to go with the 3M laminant b/c as the car ages, not being able to wax and take care of the paint in that area, the car's paint job would not match the rest of the vehicle. JMHO
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    I test drove the '01 PF LE a few weeks ago and although it has MORE HP it is MORE NOISEY as well. The engine sounded like it was in the cabin with me, just not enough sound proofing. also I found the drivers seat hard and uncomfortable. Yeah the PF LE is a nice vehicle BUT I killed it off my list.

QX4. I test drove this today and actually stopped at the local Merecedes dealer as well to look at the ML320 too. Had a hard time getting any help in the Mercedes dealer and certainly NO interest in a TEST DRIVE from THEM.

But @ the Infiniti dealer I found a very knowledgeable salesperson who was quick to explain the differences between the PF and the QX4. Also when asked to test drive, he was quick to get a key & plate.

I can tell you a few things were quickly noted. (1) The sound proofing is MUCH better, it is hardly noticeable and I had the bose stereo off too. (2) The interior is VERY RICH looking and alot more attractive to look at. (3) The ride, the QX4 has a better ride and handling is far better than the PF.

However I did notice a few things they could/should do differently. (1) The drivers seat is more comfortable, BUT they need a power lumbar. For people like me with back problems the cushion that will not go away only hurts my back (but that can be surgically fixed by the dealer before hand). (2) They need to add an auto dimming mirror and replace the ugly compass/temp gauge to a nicer one. Those and the absolutely useless running boards.

Otherwise I find the QX4 alot more attractive than the ML320 and worth the $4-5k over the PF. But for about $40k you can find a nice 3 year old Toyota Land Cruiser that is ALL LUXURY.

If I go with a Nissan/Infiniti product it will be the QX4 as long as I can make the seat fix it is there. Worth the money and the ride is nice.
  • psherrodpsherrod Member Posts: 11
    This is in response to questions about whether you can leave the QX4 in 4WD mode while on dry pagement:

The answer is that you can leave it in "Auto" mode, but you cannot leave it in 4WH mode. In Auto mode, 100% of the power is going to the rear wheels unless it detects front/rear slippage at which time the electric clutch that links the front and rear differentials enagages and sends up to 50% of the power to the front wheels.

My dealer did not understand the QX4 4WD mode very well, and I had to do some research and experimentation. Originally, the dealer told me that you could leave the car in 4WH mode all the time. Of course, for this to be possible there must be a 3rd differential between the front and rear axles. I knew there was a CLUTCH between the front and rear axles, but I suspected that there was not a DIFFERENTIAL. So I asked if I could drive the car around the sales lot with the selector set to 4WH. The salesman was happy to agree, so I put it in 4WH mode while parked and then pulled out of the parking place while turning sharply right. My suspicion that there was no center differential was quickly confirmed. Halfway out of the parking place, the car bucked, resisted going forward, and I had to give it gas to force it to roll even though I was on a slight downward incline. I let off the gas and turned the slector to "Auto". There was an immediate release, and the car started rolling on its own.

So I believe I can say with some confidence that there is a CLUTCH between the front and rear axles that is activated when front/rear slippage is detected, but there is no center DIFFERENTIAL. So, you can drive on dry pagement in either 2WH or Auto modes, but you cannot switch to 4WH (or 4WL) unless you are on a slippery surface.

Nissan seems to be very proud of their Auto "All-mode drive" system. Personally, I believe it is inferior to true AWD systems such as are used by the Mercedes ML, BMW X5 and Land Cruiser. Because AWD systems are delivering power continusouly to all 4 wheels, they reduce the chance of slippage starting. The "All mode" system only switches into 4WD after slippage has started and been detected. However, once it is in 4WD, you do have a locked front/rear connection so you can't lose all power through one slipping wheel. Mercedes and BMW address the one-wheel-slip problem by using anti-lock braking to stop the slipping wheel. I don't have any experience with these systems to be able to evaluate how well they work in snow/ice compared to a true locked front/rear system.
    I can tell you from experience that the 4 wheel traction control (not ABS; only the ABS wheel speed sensors are used) method that the X5 and M-class employ are excellent in the snow. Since they don't require any driver interaction, except for a steady (but not heavy) foot on the gas pedal, they're superior in this aspect to the true locking differentials setup.

The QX4 system does indeed use a hydraulic clutch setup to activate the front wheels. You're right that it is not as good or as useful as a permanent 4WD system (all wheels are powered all of the time), but the All mode 4WD system is superior (much smoother and faster to react) to other auto 4WD systems on the market made by Ford or GM. I'd take the all-mode system over any part-time 4WD system (a la Pathfinder) anyday.

Drew
  • jim32301jim32301 Member Posts: 7
    I just leased a 01 QX4 a week ago & my salesman "assured" me that NO ONE in my city would get a deal close to mine. I'm friends with the owner of the dealership. Selling price was $33,870. 2WD, premium pkg., bug shield, rear wind deflector. This was $1000 over invoice & actually $750 as dealer had to have it trucked from south FL to north FL. I had ordered a loaded 01 Pathfinder LE 2WD but wife just liked the Q more, even to drive it 4 years vs. 3 year lease of PF. It's only got 345 miles on it so we're kind of babying it till we reach a 1000 miles. Ours is Silver Sage Pearl with the Graphite interior. Thus far she LOVES it. She really likes the fact that there are few running around our fair city of 200K. Would like your thoughts on how good or not good my selling price was. Thanks!
  • jim32301jim32301 Member Posts: 7
    I picked up the Sept. issue of Motor Trend this week & there is an SUV comparison in it. It has a myriad of SUV's, QX4, Navigator, Ford's new Escape, Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Xterra & they picked the Q as the overall winner/favorite. They said too that it had very good OFF ROAD utility even with the 4WD OFF! So we all have or soon to have a very versitale SUV!