Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma Trailer and Towing Questions

2»

Comments

• aaronhiaaronhi Member Posts: 8
  • uncalumnusuncalumnus Member Posts: 11
    I just bought my Tacoma. It has a towing package and is rated to tow 6500 pounds. I know nothing about horses and such. I hope this info helps. Personally if I were doing a lot of towing, I would think a V-8 is the way to go. It should have no trouble on hills and valleys. My Tacoma can go pretty good with the 4.0 liter V-6. I just don't tow, so my first thought is a V-8 is a better choice over the long haul.
  • cltacomacltacoma Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 Tacoma with tow package and took the fairly new brake controller off my 4Runner. Question about wiring the controller to the Tacoma: the jumper harness provided by Toyota has 5 wires and my controller only has 4. As the controller was previously installed by Cap-It, they did not leave me with instructions. Unfortunately they did a messy job and I thought I could tackle installing the controller in my Tacoma myself.

I can match up 4 wires, I think. According to Toyota's diagram:

1. Black-red: fused trailer brake controller battery feed matches to the one labeled "Battery" on my controller
    2. Green-white: vehicle stop lamp switch to brake controller (input) to "Stoplight"
    3. Brown: trailer ground to "Ground"
    4. Red: trailer electric brake feed from brake controller (output) to "Brake"
    5. Green: Headlamp switch to vehicle trail lamps to ???

Can anyone help? Thanks
  • cltacomacltacoma Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2007 Tacoma with tow package and would like to install a fairly new brake controller which came off my 4Runner. I am not clear on how to wire the jumper harness supplied by Toyota to the controller: the jumper harness has 5 wires and my controller only has 4. As the controller was previously installed by Cap-It, they did not leave me with instructions. Unfortunately they did a messy job and I thought I could tackle installing the controller in myself.

I can match up 4 wires, I think. According to Toyota's diagram:

1. Black-red: fused trailer brake controller battery feed matches to the one labeled "Battery" on my controller
    2. Green-white: vehicle stop lamp switch to brake controller (input) to "Stoplight"
    3. Brown: trailer ground to "Ground"
    4. Red: trailer electric brake feed from brake controller (output) to "Brake"
    5. Green: Headlamp switch to vehicle trail lamps to ???

Can anyone help? Thanks.
  • cal4nadoncal4nadon Member Posts: 1
    I had the same question and couldn't find an answer online. I called the local Giant RV service department and their manager said you only need four of the wires in the harness - leave the green wire unconnected. So that's what I am doing.
  • andiantandiant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Tacoma with 3RZ engine. There is no break-out harness to connect a trailer wiring plug to. I checked to see if there was an available plug hidden by the tail lights, on top of frame etc. and come to the conclusion there is not one. The fuse boxes under hood and dash board do not reference a fuse for trailers.

I am about to make my own rig coming from my unused power supply outlets but would rather go with the way it should be.

Where does the power supply come from (fuse box under dash or engine compartment)?
    Where would the or is the connector to plug to an existing harness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Good evening everyone. I am from CT and am considering purchasing a 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with the optional tow package. My wife has bought a horse that weighs about 1,000 pounds. I have never towed in my life so am looking for someone with practical experience towing a two horse trailer. I understand what the Tacoma is rated to tow and it is more than we would need for a two horse trailer and one horse. I am curious to hear from someone on whether the Tacoma is the right choice for us or do we need to be looking at a Tundra or similar truck. Thanks for your time.
  • smitda_99smitda_99 Member Posts: 1
    I saw your message and wondered if I had somehow been typing in my sleep, as I have almost the exact situation (only two horses to pull instead of 1) ... also from CT and looking at the 2007 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but will be very interested in hearing any feedback you get. Many thanks!
    It must be a good question because I have either not gotten responses (here) or mixed responses (tundrasolutions.com). I live in/around Hartford and it is getting tougher to find 2007s as the 2008s are coming out. I would prefer a Tacoma but just don't know quite yet. You might want to try calling one of the bigger trailer companies (one in Bolton, CT) and see what they say. Getting good prices on the 2007?
  • amadorjamadorj Member Posts: 1
    Question - I have a 99 Tacoma PreRunner (2.7L 4Cy) that is suppose to be rated at pulling 3,500 LBs. I'm looking at pulling a trailer that is rated at 2100 and probably 2800 GVWR. I realize pulling with a four cylinder is not great but will it work?
  • faceachefaceache Member Posts: 1
    I am moving from the UK and bringing my two horse trailer with me. I have a new 4 x 4 double cab standard transmission Tacoma with a tow package in the US. Is there an adapter for a 7 pin (not seven blade) European plug? Or is it just a simple matter of buying a seven pin socket in the UK and having it installed in the US. The trailer is self braking but has extras like fog lights and amber lights. Also the hitch ball is 50 mm instead of 2" plus in the States.

I like my horse trailer as it is light weight (aluminum/fiberglass) with rear load, front unload.

Any suggestions as it is being shipped on 6 November.

Thanks
  • tanager1tanager1 Member Posts: 1
    I am by no means an authority on towing or trucks for that matter, but I towed a loaded 6 x10 enclosed trailer with my 4 cyl T100 across the country for years (Truck had 200k on it when I retired it, and a majority of those were acculumlated with the trailer in tow). Currently have an '06 Tacoma access cab with the same 4 cyl and am doing the same. Neither have had any troubles, although they work a bit on the hills (as does my buddies F150). Traveled from coast to coast, north to south. This engine is a go getter and great on gas. Just stay within the recommended towing capacity, and keep the OD / cruise control off, unless your cruising I 80 through NE :)
  • doo_dledoo_dle Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy a travel trailer and have been looking over the different forums about this topic. I had a pop up trailer and had no problems towing this with my previous 96 ford ranger: no jack knifing etc. I am unfamiliar with the larger trailers and the need or not for an additional brake system. I would appreciate a little ABC about this process. 1 if i didn't put a shell on the new toyota truck or 2 If I did put a shell on my truck and carry some things in the back, would there be additional concerns about what type of weight rating, brake system, and type of trailer? I have two types of future trips in mind. one is my frequent local trip up about 60 miles up into the CO mountains, 8500 feet elevation, dirt roads not in bad shape but some hills. (I did roll and total my 05 tundra on these roads, but I was driving a little too fast on a section where the road was hardpacked and had loose gravel on top...ouch.) The second would be some state to state travel. Any thoughts/advice on these concerns . Thanks.
  • dennis_wdennis_w Member Posts: 1
    I want to install a Hoppy plug in trailer wiring kit on my 2008 Tacoma but all I can find on the net is the 2007 kit. Does anyone know if it will work on 08?
  • tacoman05tacoman05 Member Posts: 37
    It should work, the '07 and '08 should be identical.
  • appyintheyardappyintheyard Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a fuel efficient p/u but pull a horse trailer. There are lightweight models (1300lbs made from resin) single horse trailers which is all I really need. My horse is about 1100lbs, with trailer capacity of 3500lbs for 4cyl tacoma, plus figuring basic gear, is that enough? The trailer I want is a single horse, 1300 lbs made by a German company called Brenderup. HP needed is only 100, tongue is 100 with the bonus of not needing a brake box due to the engineering. I would like the 4cyl 2.7L tacoma. I'm torn between 2 and 4 wheel drive b/c I want safety but fuel efficiency. First of all my experience with hauling is limited; do you think the 4cyl is enough and does 2 and 4 wheel drive make a difference for hauling the horse trailer I mentioned? The other purpose of the truck is for renovation contracting which its capacity should be enough. Also, any women under 5'1" can you reach brake/clutch sufficiently and etc? I like to drive manuel transmissions=)
  • rbyrd2rbyrd2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 09 4X4 double cab with not two package. I need to add the hitch which is easy, but I am a bit confused on the wiring harness and installation procedure. Any suggegtions?
  • frankthetank1frankthetank1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

I'm seeing lots of questions on here, and I must admit I had the same sorts of questions too when I started towing for the first time. I want to share this link with y'all, because howstuffworks has 100+ articles towing just about anything, and they are well written. This page lists them all broken out by topic, so you can quickly find what you're looking for. Good as a reference.

Towing Guide
  • frankthetank1frankthetank1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, check out this link (I was talking about it earlier) - They have an article on trailer wiring under towing equipment towards the bottom of the page

towing
  • mbeattiembeattie Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to post my findings on this issue because I have always enjoyed the feedback on these message boards. I have a 96 4x4 Tacoma v6, 3.4 with a K&F 190hp + 6 with K&F = 196HP. 5000lb tow rating. 145k, Canopy, 2 people and 1 full size dog. I tow a 19' Coleman pop up dry weight of 2950, probably somewhere in the neiborhood of 3800lb to 4000lb loaded. Took it out several time last year and it did surprisingly well. Moderate hills I could keep it in 4th and maintain 60mph. More aggressive hills I had to drop it into 3rd. I can keep the rpms at about 3500 to 4000 on the steep hills and still maintain 52 to 58mph. I have a sway stabilizing bar that seems to really keep the trailer strait. I do recommend if you are new to owning a pop up, go down to your RV shop and buy Pop up 101. Its kind of a cheap looking video but it has a lot of good basic info on using your pop up.
  • jcubsonjcubson Member Posts: 1
    Buying the Tacoma v6 automatic 4x4 access cab. I don't know if I need to buy the tow package or just purchase from my mechanic a tow hitch and wiring. I'll be pulling a small trailer with two sea kayaks. That;s it. Do I really need to spring for the towing package? What's the advantage?
    Thanks,
    David
  • tuttie01tuttie01 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 toyota tacoma spot with tow package I would like to buy a 21 foot micro lite travel trailer but don't know if I can pull it can anyone help me? Thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating of any 2009 Tacoma is 11,100 pounds (when equipped with the trailer package, V6, automatic). This is the total weight of truck, trailer, hitch, people, and cargo. Maximum trailer weight is 6500.

The truck alone weighs about 4100. Add in the weight of the people and the gear you're carrying. Then see if the trailer you're interested in will fit your available remaining weight.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • gcondongcondon Member Posts: 3
    REF: Tacoma Double Cab 2X4 Prerunner V-6 4.0 - Longbed with towing package

I have a Class I enclosed cargo trailer 6x10 and want to know if the Tacoma above can tow these with an average load at highway speeds up grades and in the mountains without constantly dropping gears or otherwise straining the vehicle.
  • pjpatrickpjpatrick Member Posts: 1
    I need to hook up the electric Brake Activator (4 wire) to the supplied quick connect plug (5 wire) . How is it done?
  • squirrel67squirrel67 Member Posts: 2
  • squirrel67squirrel67 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

Here's my situation...I purchased an 09 PreRunner with out the tow package. I had no plans of ever towing anything over 3500 lbs. Things have changed and I would love to have the tow package now. I've called two local dealers, only to be told that the full package (oil & tranny coolers, 130 amp alternator, class IV receiver, 7-pin harness & heavy duty battery) can't be installed completely. Seems only the receiver and harness are all they can do, at a cost of $550. Dang, the package goes for $650! A Toyota service manager stated that I could tow more than the recommended if I were to not use overdrive, why is that? The trailer weight I'm hoping to tow is 5000 lbs, well over the 3500 limit. Would not towing in overdrive make it safe for the tranny and engine? What if I towed with a WD hitch? The last thing I want to do is cause damage to the truck, among other things, safety. Besides buying another Tacoma with the package does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.
  • magda2magda2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have 2007 Toyota 4X4, 4.0, V6, double cab, short bed truck without the tow package. I need some advise on how to add the tow package, because I recently bought a 1993 Layton Travel Trailer which weighs 4,000 lbs. After reading the forum, I think I will need to buy and add the following to my truck: 1. supplemental engine oil cooler, 2. transmission cooler- with a small radiator in front of the regular engine radiator, 3. new 130 amp alternator for the trailer electric brakes, 4. heavy duty battery, and 5. class IV receiver (trailer has 6 wire). How much will all this cost?
  • magda2magda2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have 2007 Toyota 4X4, 4.0, V6, double cab, short bed truck without the tow package. I need some advise on how to add the tow package, because I recently bought a 1993 Layton Travel Trailer which weighs 4,000 lbs. After reading the forum, I think I will need to buy and add the following to my truck: 1. supplemental engine oil cooler, 2. transmission cooler- with a small radiator in front of the regular engine radiator, 3. new 130 amp alternator for the trailer electric brakes, 4. heavy duty battery, and 5. class IV receiver (trailer has 6 wire). How much will all this cost?
  • ray85ray85 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy an '05 or newer Taco and need to insure it has a towing package. I know there's a way to look at the fan hub and tell from the color if it's equipped with the heavy duty radiator and such. My problem is I don't know which color hub is to look for. Any help out there? Thanks Ray
  • usedcar3usedcar3 Member Posts: 5
    Anyway, my understanding is you just plug in the connector under the dash, and then connect the loose wires on the other end to the brake controller. Also I want say this.
  • gomez69gomez69 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 toyota tacoma 4 cyl and do not have a towing package, can I tow a corolla on a dolly behind it for 1100 miles using a ball on the bumper? Thank you for any help
  • kimber23kskimber23ks Member Posts: 1
    Need help !!!

Have a new travel trailer that we cant get out of the yard. Every time we plug the trailer into the back of the factory tow package on the Tacoma and then put in REVERSE, we are blowing a fuse. This happened 3 times and finally a guy at a trailer shop said something to the effect that

since the trailer does not have back up lights, and there is a 'blank or dud' in the trailer plug-in, but the truck's female part has a 'live' opening since the truck does have back-up lights" that is WHY it keeps blowing.

Help !!!
  • glazedmiscglazedmisc Member Posts: 1
    Squirrel67 - Did yo ever get an answer to this question? I have the exact same issue. Please let me know.

thank you
    Earle
  • 00cabrio08reno00cabrio08reno Member Posts: 14
    Gomez69 I have a friend with a 05 4 cyl and he added a $30 oil cooler and it helped him with towing. I dont trust bumper mounted ball hitches because i had an 03 Silverado extended cab and had a hitch ball. I towed a 12 foot trailer with nothing on it and halfway down my block the bumper broke off and the truck was brand new. So i would say no. And with 4 cyl you cant tow that much so try investing in a cheap oil cooler.
  • egduttonegdutton Member Posts: 2
    00Cabrio,

Where did your friend find the $30 oil cooler, I could probably use one or similar. TIA

Ells
  • 00cabrio08reno00cabrio08reno Member Posts: 14
    Hes on ttora an off-roading club and a guy bought one and never used it. I would check ebay or amazon possibly look around and you may find one.

Hope it helps sorry took so long
  • yakima_gezzeryakima_gezzer Member Posts: 1
    Plan on pulling a 19' trailer that indicates 7300 GWVR. Manual says max. is 6000. Towing package is OEM, so tranny cooler and fan clutch not factory installed. Hitch is the stabilizer kind with the bars (not sure what you call it). Had electric brake controller installed also. Will be putting tranny cooler on in days. Am told don't need the bigger fan upfront for the radiator. Had the 60K service completed recently (timing belt, water pump, differentials, etc.). My question to you: Am I ready and secure with pulling this thing? Appreciate your insights, thank you. :):D
  • eric100eric100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Tacoma 2001 V6 4x4 5spd. Two wheeled drive may be nice on the flat ground and highway but if you run into a situation where you have to climb a small grade on gravel you'll appreciate having 4 wheel drive. I'm have watched at times where vehicles could not climb a grade on gravel because of wheel spin. I tow a Trial-lite B19 travel trailer with my Tacoma and have found it to have plenty of power for climbing hills at 50 mph. My travel trailer weighs around 3,000 lbs loaded. I've been as high ast 9 to 10,000 feet on some of the highways here in Colorado and I haven't had any problems. My gas mileage is about 14 to 15 mpg in the mountains and higher at lower altitudes. I also have over 200,000 miles on my truck and it still pulls the travel trailer without any problems.
  • 855plain855plain Member Posts: 1
    kimber you ever get an answer??

I have just bought a 2011 tacoma with the tow package and have a trailer with no backup lights and am worried about the same thing haven't tried it yet
  • pdaddy2004pdaddy2004 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Tacoma with no tow package. I have added a transmission cooler, a receiver hitch and a 7 pin hookup. I pull a 5000lbs trailer with no problems. The trailer does not have reverse lights and I back the trailer in all of the time. I have never had an issue with the fuses blowing. it sounds more like the the 7 pin wasn't installed correctly. You have a 2011 with a package you won't have an issue. I will be adding a oil cooler, alternator and battery to complete the tow package on our Tacoma this year.
  • rusty021rusty021 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Tacoma with tow package with automatic transmission. What gear should I use when towing a 4000 lb trailor?
  • edmyersedmyers Member Posts: 1
    my 2013 tacoma's gvwr is 5500lbs. does it cost more at tolls .
  • bigblue56bigblue56 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a 2010 tacoma.just went 2000 mile trip tried 4gear and did about 6-7mpg .used drive and got only did 8-9mpg.i was towing jayco ultralite 3500lbs not loaded.if anyone can help with mpg i would app.it
  • dontdornydontdorny Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    If you have the towing package the 2914 Tacoma V6 is rated to pull up to a 3.5 ton GW trailer with a max tongue weight o 350 lbs. I actually pulled (well parked really) a Tacoma that was pulling a 30 foot trailer for my GF who never got the knack if backing with a trailer and it was easy. I actually drove around the block a few times and for the most part, had I not seen nor now it was back there, I sure didn't feel it there, IMHO, if you've got the TACOMA 4X4, the 4.0 V6 and the towing package with ride stabilization and the towing package with automatic tranny you should be golden. Can;t speak for the long trips cause I haven't towed anything for over 40 miles, you should be good to go, Just remember to not expect the same ride you get unloaded and try practicing it locally around your neighborhood when you have minimal traffic. The key to trailer pulling is simply forget it's there and don't spend a lot of time over thinking it. Then when baking into a spot, grasp the bottom o the steering wheel and slowly back up. If you need the traikler to go right: Move the wheel right and vice versa. That' the easiest way I know how and even my 11 year old can and HAS done it in a flat campsite! Good luck@ PS: Don't let others where you are know you have this skil or you will be deluged with requests from swarming noobs akig if you'll move and park theirs for them. First time I did that, I was "Held hostage" fo over 3 hours doing it (and of course teaching it) cause I was this 16 year old kid Where no on could back up their RV's. By all was said and done though? I had collected a little over #300 in cash! To an 11 year old I thought it was time for us to buy a new motorhome with all the money I had gotten! Had to pass for the 11 year old who didn't have to beg mom and dad to get candy from the Little general store in Parker AZ!