Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Hybrid

drl_2drl_2 Member Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Honda
I am considering trading in my '98 Prelude for a Fit but wonder if I should wait for the Fit Hybrid that is rumored to be out next year.

Comments

• reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I don't think I would hold my breath on that one. We don't even know if the new model standard Fit will make it to the states. Though I think it probably will.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Member Posts: 112
    I don't think the Fit is a good 'fit' for a hybrid, frankly.

Yeah, the mileage would be insane, but the Fit already gets very good mileage, so you wouldn't be saving THAT much money, even with 3 buck gas.

Where hybrids really make sense is on gas-guzzlers, like full-size SUVs. Taking your mileage from say an abysmal 11 mpg on up to a semi-abysmal 15 mpg by going hybrid could save you something like $1000 a year, definitely worth it, assuming that the price delta for the hybrid version is at all reasonable.

But with something like the Fit, going from say 35 mpg to 45+ isn't as special as it seems. You'd save maybe $300 a year, and given that hybrids usually cost AT LEAST $3000-4000 more than equivalently-equipped non-hybrids, you'd spend the entire life of the car making your money back. Not worth it, unless you're a true blue (green?) enviromental type, or just want the carpool lane sticker in the few states that offer one for solo drivers in hybrids.

Yeah, there are tax breaks, but they aren't so great yet.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "But with something like the Fit, going from say 35 mpg to 45+ isn't as special as it seems."

I think they are talking 70+ mpg for a potential hybrid Fit.
    "I think they are talking 70+ mpg for a potential hybrid Fit."

That's really unlikely in practice. Hybrids usually improve mileage something on the order of 30-35 percent.

Maybe if it was diesel hybrid it might have a chance at coming somewhere close to that. Also keep in mind that the EPA estimated mpg for hybrids is WAY off compared to real world numbers (sadly).

For example, Priuses in practice get something like 45 mpg in mixed city-hwy driving, nothing near the 60/51 mpg city/hwy they're rated at.
    "That's really unlikely in practice."

I didn't advocate the number, just repeating what I read. Unfortunately I can't remember the URL...
  • starlightmicastarlightmica Member Posts: 58
    Insight weighs 1850-1975 lbs, manual is EPA rated 60/66, CVT 57/56. 0-60mph in about 11 seconds, but low-end acceleration is helped by the electric motor. If it didn't cost much more than a Sport, say $1500, it would be an interesting proposition. Knock off several hundred for the federal tax break, too.

Here's that URL (they said 50mpg+): http://www.hybridcars.com/honda-fit-hybrid.html
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    That oughtta make hybrid sales take off.

Toyota has the Prius, but Honda looks like it'll have a hybrid success story with the Fit.

Most definitely with the price, $15-17,000 for the hybrid fit...

:surprise:
  • cmkcmk Member Posts: 59
    Taking your mileage from say an abysmal 11 mpg on up to a semi-abysmal 15 mpg by going hybrid could save you something like $1000 a year, definitely worth it, assuming that the price delta for the hybrid version is at all reasonable.

But with something like the Fit, going from say 35 mpg to 45+ isn't as special as it seems. You'd save maybe $300 a year,

My math is failing me. Why would going from 11 to 15 (4 more miles per gallon) be more significant than 35 to 45 (10 more miles per gallon)?
    Do you guys predict that the hybrid model will be styled different?

I bet it will be marketed differently, and I bet I'll be able to get cruise without goofy spoilers and underbody kits ;)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    There may be a few styling differences like the Civic Hybrid compared to a conventional Civic. Also remember that the Fit hybrid will be a version of the second generation Fit. While I am guessing the changes will be mainly evolutionary (thanks to the immense success of the current generation), improvements will no doubt be made to the aerodynamics.

The recent articles keep talking about the Fit using the Insight's hybrid system. While the Fit may use an updated version, I highly doubt it will be the same thing. The Insight uses an old design (introduced in 2000!) that takes up lots of room and weight.
    What I am hoping for is that if it indeed is a version of the Insight's system, maybe there could be a manual transmission version too.
    Doubtful, but we can all dream! :D
  • drl_2drl_2 Member Posts: 5
    Check out this website for determining how much you will save on gas between two different cars (ex. fit v. hybrid fit):

Fuel Economy
    "My math is failing me. Why would going from 11 to 15 (4 more miles per gallon) be more significant than 35 to 45 (10 more miles per gallon)?"

Because if 'Mr. 11 mpg' was driving the same number of miles as 'Mr. 35 mpg', he'd be spending more than 3 times as much on gas as Mister 35 mpg.

So, the 30-35% improvement in mileage that a hybrid would bring would benefit Mister 11 mpg's pocketbook much more. It is one of those cases where the mpg numbers at first glance, are deceptive.

You think "Wow, that econocar hybrid is really saving me so much money, what with a 10 mpg increase!". But the fact is, relatively speaking, you weren't spending all that much on gas compared to Mister 11 mpg and his fuel-gobbling monster SUV. :surprise:

Think about it awhile, the logic/math will become apparent.
    :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No way the Fit hybrid will start at $15k. That would mean a $600 "hybrid premium" based on the current base price of an MT Fit, $14,400. $17k is more realistic, maybe $16.5k. It would still be thousands less than a Civic hybrid or a Prius.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    So, the 30-35% improvement in mileage that a hybrid would bring would benefit Mister 11 mpg's pocketbook much more.

One of our Hosts tried getting us to consider that same subject about a year ago. It is a fact that gaining a few MPG on an SUV can save you more money than 10 MPG on a Civic or Corolla.
    When they list the possible price of the Fit Hybrid they are usually giving it as X dollar hybrid premium plus the base price of the Japanese market car, which is about US$10k.

I would guess US$17-18k for the US market Fit Hybrid.
    "One of our Hosts tried getting us to consider that same subject about a year ago. It is a fact that gaining a few MPG on an SUV can save you more money than 10 MPG on a Civic or Corolla."

But let us not forget that the percentages are the same. The smaller car will save more money over the larger car, with the same % increase in both, because the smaller car already saves money on gas. The fact that you save more money in the percentage is irrelevant when one considers the total out-of-pocket for gas between the two cars.
    It is true in a sense.

Car A:
    $3 gas @ 30mpg = $.10 per mile

$3 gas @ 40 mpg = $.075 per mile

saving $.025 per mile.

Car B:
    $3 gas @ 15mpg = $.20 per mile

$3 gas @ 25mpg = $.12 per mile

saving $.08 per mile.

Car B has greater savings, thus the lower mpg car benefits more from the hybrid in term of fuel savings.

I would think with a little tweaking (diesel, gearing, more efficient or smaller engine) they could get the Fit up to about 50 mpg without the complications of a hybrid.
    50 mpg (highway) has already been reached by the Jazz 1.2

It will never make it to North America though.
    I'll try to make things a bit clearer.

To reiterate, yes, putting a hybrid on an 11 mpg environment destroyer mega-SUV helps save on fuel costs MUCH more than does going hybrid on an econocar. The math is fairly obvious:

Mega Enviroment Destroyer SUV: Driven ~ 15000 miles/yr

w/out hybrid: 11 mpg
    1350 gallons gas/year
    Fuel Price tag: $4,050/yr (assuming $3/gallon gas)

with hybrid: 15 mpg
    1000 gallons gas/yr
    Fuel Price tag: $3,000 yr

Savings: $1,050/yr, aka 'a lot' :)

Very 'Fit'-ting Econocar, driven ~ 15000 miles a year
    w/out hybrid: 35 mpg
    425 gallons gas/year
    Fuel Price tag: $1,275/yr (assuming $3/gallon gas)

with hybrid: 50 mpg
    300 gallons gas/yr
    Fuel Price tag: $900/yr

Savings: $375/yr, aka 'nice, but not so much'

The above was my only point... in terms of saving money and reducing sheer volume of pollutants spewed, going hybrid on a big SUV obviously has more benefit than going hybrid on an econocar.

That said, I'm sure environmentalists everywhere would be quick to remind us that the greatest positive change would be in going from a non-hybrid big SUV to a hybrid econocar. And they would right. :shades:

I, however, take the pessimistic view that there are just some folks you'll just never pry out of their bloated oversize SUVs. And most of 'em don't have families of eight. :(
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    If they make a Hybrid Fit it'll be more than $17K.
  • travlertravler Member Posts: 138
    If the make it a hybrid withing this body style cycle (about 4 to 5 years) it'll look the same without the gingerbread. The idea is to not add unnecessary weight unless it benefits fuel economy.
    "If the make it a hybrid withing this body style cycle (about 4 to 5 years)"

All information points to a release of the hybrid first in Japan...that means the next generation, which should be introduced in Spring or Summer 2007. The current body cycle is almost over.

This would only make sense, as it would be a much better idea to design the car with a hybrid system in mind, rather than just dropping it into such an old design.
    It will never make it to North America though.

Not enough power to make it over the Alps? ;)
    Seriously... ;)

Not enough power to merge into 150 km/h traffic from a short on-ramp or deal with some treacherous quick acceleration city driving either. :P
    ...after spending time in the US, and then returning to Europe, sometimes the speed of the traffic there makes my head spin. :)

I would be all for the L12A in the US, but I think this issue has already exhausted itself in these forums several times over.
    I remember the old days merging in Los Angeles used to be really hairy. When they went to 55 limits it really helped. Part of me wishes we would get serious about reducing gas demand and reinstitute it. I am sure it will take gas lines before something like that happens.

I thought Europe had autobahn speedways that make ours look like horse and buggy roads. Do they have long ramps there, or do you just keep your Aygo off them?
    The typical speed limit (for countries that have posted motorway limits, unlike Germany) is 120 or 130 km/h. How fast people actually go really depends on the country. I have seen all kinds of small underpowered cars drive on the motorways. I've driven in a 3-cylinder 1.0L Suzuki Swift that doesn't have more than 55 HP and it does fine at motorway speeds. I've even seen a few Trabants and Polski Fiats with their 20-30 HP engines manage on these roads. I personally would never do that though! They usually stay about 100-110 km/h.
    Speaking of the Aygo, I was watching a car show that did a review on it and during the test they confidently went on the motorway at realistic speeds without trouble!

One more thing that is very different though between US and Europe is the way people drive (and general road manners), which makes it safer for smaller cars on the highways.

Even now driving through Los Angeles can be a hair-raising experience, but I still would trust a lower-powered Fit with better mileage driving on US roads.
    Just my opinion, but I prefer smaller engines with better fuel-efficiency over hybrids. However, if Honda can produce a hybrid Fit with excellent mileage, more power to them!
    "Not enough power to merge into 150 km/h traffic from a short on-ramp or deal with some treacherous quick acceleration city driving either. "

Awww, it can't be worse than my 1989 Hyundai Excel. 63 HP, at least I had a manual transmission.

I think the reason they won't bring a smaller engine to market here is because people would not buy it. Speed and power are of the highest priority to many people.
    Actually I was making that comment in jest ;)

The L12A is only available with the 5MT, so it makes better use of the power than the CVT option.
    "One more thing that is very different though between US and Europe is the way people drive (and general road manners), which makes it safer for smaller cars on the highways."

Amen to that!

I remember one time in Portugal, I was riding in a cab on the highway and I saw an ambulance and a motorcyclist driving side by side. The ambulance did NOT have its lights on and was not responding to an emergency, by the by.

Anyways, the ambulance 'just decided' that it wanted to be in the lane the motorcycle was in... only problem is that the motorcyclist was already in the spot the ambulance wanted to be in. Didn't matter... ambulance swerved over, no warning, no blinkers, no nothing.

The motorcyclist swerved away for dear life, then came back alongside the ambulance and the rider proceeded to start kicking the side of the ambulance from about 1 foot away. At freeway speeds, mind you.

Eventually, the guy riding shotgun on the ambulance sticks his head out and starts yelling at the motorcyclist, who proceeds to give him the finger. They start yelling at each other and shaking fists at each other, the motorcyclist kicking the side of the amulance all the while. This goes on for several minutes, with the ambulance eventually doing little 'mini' swerves to get the motorcyclist to back off. :surprise:

One of the funniest (and scariest) things I've seen on the road. Euro drivers are nuts. :D
    Maybe that's a Portuguese thing ;)

I was honestly talking about it being the other way around. Not to say people in Europe don't sometimes try to do several things while driving, but it seems to be the norm in the US...eating, shaving, talking on the phone, etc, etc. I can't even count how many times I've been pushed out of my lane (or off the road!) in the US by people who don't indicate and aren't capable of driving a motor vehicle.

It varies so much from country to country though...certain countries have reputations for being particularly aggressive or crazy in Europe.
    The countries I have spent the most time driving in Europe (Austria, Germany, Hungary), I find to be safer than the US. They indicate, are more courteous, pay more attention etc. Some people might drive aggressively in Europe, but they also seem a lot more focused on driving. I attribute a lot of it to the manual vs. automatic transmission.

Being that this is the Fit Hybrid discussion, I won't continue. :blush:
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    I find the number of manual cars in Europe is far higher than North America, and driving a stick requires greater concentration on the road. So fewer multitasking bad habits I guess.

It will be interesting at what premium the Fit Hybrid will be. Probably proportionally the same between the Civic EX and Civic Hybrid
  • sd_driversd_driver Member Posts: 49
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=115344

The Fit hybrid will be here in 2008.

Please Honda, go all out on this: bring a diesel hybrid, a true 70mpg car.
    That is good to hear that the Fit hybrid will use the Civic hybrid's powerplant instead of the Insight's. A Fit with the Insight's engine/motor would have been real pokey. The other good news is that it will be a new design and should be here in '08, which is when I will be looking to buy my next new car. :)
  • b4wrnb4wrn Member Posts: 10
    I hate to put a damper on the Hybrid discussion,most likely in the future the Fed and state governments are going to levy a special tax on these cars because of the better gas mileage. The owners are not paying their fair share of road (gas)taxes, and this also goes for the natural gas burning cars, which right now are paying no taxes to fix the highways. It is being discussed about using a GPS feature on all cars so the governments know exactly how many miles are driven and tax according to these figures. This means those who drive more get taxed more no matter how fuel efficient the cars they drive.

This has not happened yet but look forward to it. I believe it is a coming thing. I agree with hungarian in that smaller engines getting better mileage is better than a hybrid and much simpler to repair.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    This means those who drive more get taxed more no matter how fuel efficient the cars they drive.

We discussed this about a year ago. Have not heard how the experiment in Oregon is going. It has to come about as the fleet gets more efficient the highway miles go up and the revenue to repair the roads and bridges goes down.

See this thread for the discussion.

gagrice, "Highway funding ideas include taxes on hybrids" #2, 27 Nov 2005 10:01 pm
    The faster we get this current crop of thieves and idiots out of Washington, the better.

Unbelievable.
    This is not a Federal issue but a state issue. Nebraska did this kind of thing awhile ago, and they didn't target hybrids, but hybrids like the Prius fell into the category. The annual "fee" was $75, or $6.25 a month. Big whoop.
    That's the next-generation Fit, which is due to arrive in 2008.

Does that mean, for model year '08, or in '08?
    The next generation Fit should be introduced in Japan during the spring or early summer CY2007. If Honda does a global launch spanning a few months (which would make the most sense), the US would probably get the car in fall of 2007 as a MY2008 vehicle.

This is all speculation though...
    "The faster we get this current crop of thieves and idiots out of Washington, the better.

Unbelievable."

Nope, has nothing to do with Washington or thieves. Europe does not tax by the liter; they have road taxes based on the engine size. They long ago discovered that high MPG cars don't use that much gas.

The roads have to be maintained, you see, even if your car only uses 9 gallons per 500 miles, as opposed to the SUV at a gadzillion gallons per 500 miles. There is still 500 miles of road maintenance per car. It is true that heavier vehicles cause more road damage, but that simply would mean that perhaps vehicle taxes should be partially based on weight. No free lunches - someone has to maintain the roads, and that someone expects to be paid.

I suggest you follow the above link to view the original thread.
    "Europe does not tax by the liter"

Are you referring to liters of fuel, or liters of engine size?
    ...a dumb question, but I don't want to wrongly interpret the sentence. :blush:
    Fine. The gov needs $ to build roads, etc.

But the idea that you punish people financially for purchasing high-mileage vehicles, when we need to weaning ourselves off poisonous oil dependency, is absolutely ludicrous. And any idiot politician that advocates that should be (and will be) drummed out of office--federal, state, or local.

A few less tax cuts and millions more hybrids!
    "Are you referring to liters of fuel, or liters of engine size? "

Not a dumb question at all, my bad. Engine size. That way the larger and more expensive cars pay more, while the smaller cars pay less.

That is one reason that turbo technology is so popular in Europe; more HP on less CC engine size.
    "Fine. The gov needs $ to build roads, etc.

But the idea that you punish people financially for purchasing high-mileage vehicles, when we need to weaning ourselves off poisonous oil dependency, is absolutely ludicrous. And any idiot politician that advocates that should be (and will be) drummed out of office--federal, state, or local."

I think the time will come when the taxes will have to change. It is not a "penalty", it is a "reality". But it will likely be a while before this takes effect. Politicians are rather slow sometimes, and will have to see the highway funds shrinking before they change the tax codes. So breathe easy for now...

I must point out that the two parts of your post do not match - if the gov needs $$, they have to come from somewhere, and it won't be from gas taxes if everyone is getting high MPG.
    It varies from country to country, but a realistic value for the registration tax on a car like the Jazz 1.2i or 1.4i in Europe is about $1,700.

On a car with a 3.5 liter engine it is about $14,000! :surprise:

That might explain why even companies like Mercedes and BMW have a wonderful selection of small, efficient engines in Europe. ;)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'm not so sure the Fit will be hybridized. According to a press release dated 5/16, Honda's plan is to bring a new, unique vehicle to fill the sub HCH slot.

"Introduction in the U.S. and Canada in 2009 of a new, more affordable, dedicated hybrid car."

Here's the link.

If this were going to be the hybrid Fit, they wouldn't be calling it a "dedicated" hybrid. With allocations for the US expected to be 100,000 units, I think this hybrid will could replace the HCH and put the kibosh on the HFH.

It's very possible that this dedicated hybrid will be based on the Fit. (Hence all the rumors about a Fit hybrid.) But it won't be the same car. My guess is it'll be based on the next Fit's structure, but have a more aerodynamic shape.
    It could also be the replacement for the Insight, while the Fit is still hybridized.
  • frayadjacentfrayadjacent Member Posts: 2
    As a previous owner of a Honda Insight, I don't think the Insight's powerplant put in a Fit will work all that great. Given the Fit is about 600lb heavier, before adding a battery pack, the power output would be pretty weak.

I can't remember numbers, but the Insight wasn't a slouch when it came to getting off the line, but with 600+lb more weight, it sure would be.

Honda's IMA system, IMHO, is just notthe best arrangement. In the Insight, I found that the motor just didn't assist as much as I'd like. Give it double the torque output, and it would have been very nice. Then the battery capacity wasn't as great either.

I ended up trading the Insight in on my current car, because I just lived too close to work for it to 'stretch it's legs'. The Insight needed 12-15 miles of good highway driving to regenerate itself.

No doubt, I was able to get some VERY impressive fuel economy numbers. Once from Austin to Fort Worth and back rated 72mpg. From Austin to San Juan Capistrano (South of LA) and back averaged 68mpg.

With the US mandating cleaner/better diesel fuel starting this year (or was it next?), I'd be much more interested in a turbodeisel Fit that gets 50+mpg than a hybrid.

(as an aside, I don't own a Fit yet, I'm in contact with an internet sales manager at a dealer close to where I live. She says it would be about a month before they could get what I want [silver sport MT], and I have to see what they'll give me for my trade in)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Fukui announced a 4 cyl diesel, plans for a V6 diesel, a new fuel cell vehicle, and plans for a dedicated hybrid - all 2-4 years in the future. But he forgot to mention plans to build a Fit hybrid next year?
This discussion has been closed.