Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fit vs. MINI

13»

Comments

• amazinglyfitamazinglyfit Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2003 Mini Cooper and have just bought a Fit Sport A/T.

Handling: Mini wins, Fit very close behind

Power: Tie? Not enough difference to make a difference

Transmission: Apples and oranges. Mini clutch is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] from a stand still. Mini's lack of a lockout for reverse has allowed me buzz reverse when shifting (sloppily) from 5th to 4th. Shifting the Mini into reverse requires engaging the clutch in neutral about 50% of the time. Fit A/T w/paddles provides essentially the same control with less effort.

Ride: Not even close. The Mini rides like wooden wheeled cart. Drive over a grain of sand and you feel the jolt.

Ergonomics: Fit wins easily. Mini A/C/ventilation/defrost/heater controls are still confusing, I still have to look to see what button to push. The row of switches for the windows control, locks, etc. - same issue as the A/C, you have to memorize which switch does what or look. The Mini's speedometer is the size of a dinner plate and in the middle of the dash - for what reason? Fit seating is more comfortable and keeps me in place better. The door "armrest" in the Mini is unusable as such.

Interior room: The Fit has way more room. With me driving the Mini (I'm 6' 5") you want to be a double amputee if you are going to sit behind me as there is less than zero clearance between the rear seat and the front seatback. I am reasonably comfortable in the back seat of the Fit with the front seat all the way back.

Reliability: I will assume the Fit is going to be better. The Mini is a POS. 35K and it's had rattles, groans, whines, three repairs of the airbag system, rack and pinion and steering column replacement, a breakdown on the freeway because of A/C related failure.

Economy: Fit wins - better gas milage, regular gas, lower price, about equal depreciation and see: Reliability above.

Intangibles: I like the looks of the Fit better, but they are both aquired tastes. The Fit may be an improvement as other Fit drivers won't be waving at me.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Buying a Mini is like buying a Jaguar. Lexus, BMW, etc will all beat out a Jag for everything practical, but some people just want to drive "British Sophistication." The same with the Mini. Some people just want to drive a British car for the looks, style and most important name. So in reality there's no point trying to compare the Mini to the Fit on any practical level.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Buying a Mini is like buying a Jaguar. Lexus, BMW, etc will all beat out a Jag for everything practical, but some people just want to drive "British Sophistication." The same with the Mini. Some people just want to drive a British car for the looks, style and most important name. So in reality there's no point trying to compare the Mini to the Fit.

In theory, I think you are absolutely right. Honda buyers buy BECAUSE of the practicality, whereas many Mini (haha) buyers ignore (in large part) practicality in the face of something cute with so-called "sophisitication."

Problem for people who don't know what bloodline a Mini stems from, is that you can't take them to see your new Mini and say "don't you just love the sophistication and prestige?" I can do that in a Honda, except with the "isn't the magic back seat a neat idea?" Prestige is nothing but an abstract idea in my mind, so buying something that is supposed to impress is pointless to me. I need to be impressed by the product, not the definition of the product.

I don't buy the brand, I buy the car. Many people buy a combination of both, and that's ok too! :)
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    No comparison, surely ? Mini lacks Fit's practicality - no rear passenger doors for a start. Basic MINI is a bit dull. Mini Cooper is a fun drive but so are lots of other small hatches. As someone else pointed out; MINI is a lifestyle choice. Fit is a truly practical, economic AND fun drive.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "Fit is a truly practical, economic AND fun drive."

Dorky styling though. :sick:
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Oh man here goes...agreed. It is kinda dorky. But i'm a dork so its ok. :P

My life loves the mini, she used to like the fit, but has always wanted a mini, so we will probably get a next gen mini when i save up enough for a downpayment.

She doesn't have anything against the fit, the mini is more her thing. Different folks, different strokes. At least she doesn't get into any 'mine is better' arguments!

I like them both for different reasons. They are TARGETED to different audiences. Drive what you like and play nice. (i had to learn too.) fin de cuenta.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Like comparing Egg Beaters to Eggs Benedict! :confuse:

DrFill
    Oh yeah, they were way off. A 109 hp subcompact hatch with excellent handling vs a 115 hp subcompact hatch with great handling.

Yep, who came up with that idea? lol
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Well, the comparison was to the old base Mini to the Fit.

The new Mini, though, is hands-down better. No contest. But it does cost more money.
    i think they are both nice, but cater to different audiences.

Here, we are comparing them on more of a equipment/handling/looks level.

But most people who are in the market for a cheap car like the fit(cheap pricewise that is) probably wouldn't seriously consider a mini, for some people even a 2k difference is just not doable.
  • walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    Let's not forget availability issues. Here in MA, it's very hard to find a new Fit, any Fit, for sale. Dealers just don't have them. By contrast, the Mini is plentiful. And you can get one for $18k or so, which surprised me.........also note, after dealer markup on the Fit, the Fit/Mini price disparity almost disappears.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The Mini doesn't have much cargo space as compared to the Fit and to me, that's one of the main features of the Fit. If I didn't need the cargo space, I could have just bought a Civic or Corolla.
  • fitluverfitluver Member Posts: 198
    Let's not forget availability issues. Here in MA, it's very hard to find a new Fit, any Fit, for sale. Dealers just don't have them. By contrast, the Mini is plentiful. And you can get one for $18k or so, which surprised me.........also note, after dealer markup on the Fit, the Fit/Mini price disparity almost disappears.

I just looked up availability locally. I had not looked in some time. There are waaaay more Fits out there for sale, even if HALF of the ones listed are sold already. When I looked around new years, all had been presold but unfortunately listed and giving me false hope. Nowhere within 100 mile radius was an MT.

NOW there are MTs listed, and that is where my price comparison starts. I know shipping went up after new year (I already locked in at lower amt) and the prices TODAY reflected not just MSRP but exactly the new shipping fee listed as well.

ie I paid 15170 for mt Sport and now add 595 shipping and you get the 15765. I think the AT added 800 (?) and the listings for ATs reflects that 800 difference.

I can only hope these arent jack ups and are merely a listing with the inclusion of shipping.

In Canada, the new 2007 Mini Cooper with the standard 6-speed manual qualifies for a $1000 "green" rebate from the government. It is one of only a few gasoline cars in a short list of mostly hybrids and flex fuel vehicles to qualify. Surprisingly, the Fit did not qualify. :confuse: :surprise:
    What are the ratings for the Mini vs. the Fit on economy?
    According to EnerGuide published by the Canadian government, the most economical Fit is rated at 39/49 mpg city/hwy, and the most economical Mini is rated at 39/52 mpg.
    Interesting. What really bites into the economy gains is that MINI recommends premium for optimum engine performance (which is about $0.25 a gallon more than regular). The Fit only asks for Regular.
    However, I've heard a rumour that a well-kept secret is that the Mini runs just as well, if not better, on non-premium fuel.
    wow really? i can understand the cooper s needing premium, but it seems that to put it in the reg. mini would be ok.

but germans are picky. my vw doesn't ask for premium tho.

those mpg figures are crazy! def not what they get here in the states....
    I've tried premium and non-premium in our base Cooper. Doesn't seem to make any difference -- same sluggish, lurchy acceleration! :cry:
    but no negative effect right? Does the regular base cooper recommend premium?

My wife wants to get one, but after our experience with the rabbit, she is shying away from 'realativley costly to maintain' german vehicles, and leaning towards a honda element.
    Yes, the Base Cooper recommends premium. Ours has actually been very trouble-free. One blown interior light bulb, one loose window moulding, one O2 sensor. That's it...in 2 full years. But the CVT sucks big time. But of course, for '07, it's a conventional 6-speed steptronic. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.