Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• vinnieg1vinnieg1 Member Posts: 53
    Congratulations. Great deal great car.
  • zeek3zeek3 Member Posts: 1
    Happy days. I am about to pickup my new LR2 in a few hours and have just had a look at the LR2 Kit catalogue. As this is my first LandRover, does anybody recommend any of these from a practical perspective? I noticed the instrument fascia kit for approx. $700. There's one I'll avoid!
    Has anyone found a dealer with LR2 mud guards yet?
  • macr32macr32 Member Posts: 12
    Had mine since April 2nd and I'm really enjoying it.
    Installed some PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Bulbs/Fogs lights yesterday,
    came in handy with the nasty wheather we had in New York today.

So, is there going to be a dedicated LR2 Forum of is this it?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    No they do not. At least not in the sense that the japanese and domestics do. You aren't going to find any LR2s any where close to invoice pricing any time soon though so don't worry about that.

Oh and I just got back from the LR2 launch/training week today and I am impressed. No other SUV in its class could have gone through the off-road course they had set up and even some low range equiped SUVs would have had problems in some areas.

I will put some pictures up later.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    "I will put some pictures up later. "

I'm looking forward to that. Thanks in advance.
    I have a CD full of them but it is at home. The instructors took all of the pictures for us then burned them onto a CD. Some of them are from my group and some are from the other groups.
  • muddyymuddyy Member Posts: 60
    Finally saw the Baltic Blue on the lot today. I'm particular about color so I'm sure others will vary but here's my take:

Stornoway Grey is the nicest for this model - cool and elegent (but I'm East Coast); this is the most refined look for the LR2 and elevates the status (if that matters)

Baltic Blue is a dark Navy blue - pretty standard; a lot of cars have this color - seems a liitle odd that they wouldn't put a special touch on this as I have seen a few deep blues that are really sweet ( more metallic, more marine, more saturated etc. would have been better)

Narvik Black - I like all black cars in general but my old Freelander was black and this black is not more special - seems standard - black is always cool though but I don't like it better than Stornoway.

Silver - very nice and the best match for the under front skid plate - silver is sweet

White - this car in white is actually very nice ; white with tan is beautiful.

Flame (light orange) the orange/gold is really nice but I like the Hummer H3 and the RR Sport orange better. The FL2 orange is a bit light but it looks great at night and it is a signature color.

Not in love with Sand or Red but that's just me, sorry. They have a light blue in Europe, but not US, that's really nice - but why no green? Green is "the" Rover color; pastel green, forrest green any green would have been great; too bad.

Favorites: 1. Stornoway Grey 2. Tambora Flame 3. Black 4. Silver 5. White

But Stornoway is far ahead of the others for me; I wouldn't even consider another color - God, I hope that doesn't mean there's going to be grey LR2's all over the roads soon.
  • isabelalavalisabelalaval Member Posts: 51
    I checked out the LR2 at the dealership a couple days ago. Saw Whistler White with Alpaca Beige... beautiful! However, my bet is with the Stornoway Grey with Alpaca Beige. It's classy and won't show the dirt too much, which is important for me! If we buy the car, we actually plan to take the LR2 off-roading, so there's lots of dirt to be had. Tambora Flame is a fun colour, but I don't wanna look like a giant metallic pumpkin on the road!

I've done lots of research on the car, seen many lovely pictures, but there is still some apprehension. The biggest is the whole Land Rover dependability / reliability issue. I've only had experience with Toyotas, VW, and Jeeps, and they've been quite reliable. Except for that darn VW Cabrio, but that's another story.... Very minor issues rarely came up. I've ready so many stories online about a brand new car just falling apart, it's scaring the hell out of me. I've read that a lot of the issues with Land Rovers were related to the switch from BMW engines to Ford. Is that accurate?

Ideally, I would want to wait about a year before buying the LR2 to see how it does, but with our Corolla running 130K miles (still running well!) the clock is somewhat ticking. The other vehicles in the small SUV category just don't compare:

1. Toyota RAV4 = better styling, hate the spare in the back
    2. Honda CRV = Eww!
    3. Acura RDX = double Eww!
    4. BMW X3 = my other choice, but with the minimal amount of options we like, still waaaay too expensive!

I'm planning to give myself a nice luxury SUV for my 30th bday, so don't even suggest a Hyundai or Kia! :P
    heres a shot of the baltic blue.
    http://eshare.hpphoto.com/FilmStripHome.aspx?JobID=9a3de84e-091c-4b8c-b66a-e8f22- 8d70e2e&SKU=HP
    (If the link above is not clickable, copy and paste it, or type it, directly into your browser.)
    Don't have Photosmart yet?
    Download the free HP Photosmart photo manager software:
    http://www.hp.com/go/pse200
  • bg54bg54 Member Posts: 21
    Last year I had my 2nd FREELANDER 2004 less than 25,000 miles start having INTAKE VALE PROBLEMS.. I don't know if it is FORD or the Dealership that has the INABILITY TO REPAIR OR BUILD A QUALITY SUV. In 2002 I had the Freelander replaced with the 2004 by the Auto Baun store in Fort Worth NOT KNOW THEY WERE TO ALSO GIVE ME THE FULL $$ AMOUNT I ALREADY PAID FOR 2 YEARS to the NEW 2004 REPLACEMENT SUV FREELANDER.. THE 2002 had Engine, Branke, electrical just to name a few problems, and that is why they replaced it with the 2004. THE HONESTY AND INTREGREDITY BY THE LAND ROVER FORT WORTH WAS DESTROYED when I TRIED TO GET THE MONEY THEY OWED ME AND STILL DO FOR THE 2002 goint toward the 2004 FREELANDER. I went traded the "DEATH TRAP 2004 FREELANDER" for a Jeep Liberty. THEY HAVE PROBLEMS.. IN THE MECHANICAL RELIABILITY OF THE FREELANDER /NEW LR2...

RECENTLY THE LR2 WAS SHOWN ON DISPLAY ON FOX 4 DALLAS AM CAR REVIEW... AND WAS GIVEN HIGH MARKS AND LOW MARKS FOR THE FOLLOWING
    1. HIGH MARKS.. LOOKS LIKE THE LAND ROVER INSIDE AND OUT.
    2. DRIVES QUIETLY AND HAS QUALITY INSIDES..
    3. LOW MARKS.. WHEN TAKING THE LR2 THROUGH A CAR WASH, IT TOOK 30 MINUTES FOR IT TO START UP .. VERY BAD.. THIS WAS ONE OF THE BEGINNING PROBLEMS I STARTED WITH (ELECTRICAL) IN THE 2002.

I had a 318I BMW I TRADED FOR THE 2002.. I LOVE THE BMW DRIVE AND THE QUALITY AND SINCE LAND ROVER AT THAT TIME HAD A QUALITY REPUTATION I PURCHASED THE 2002 FREELANDER FOR THE DRIVE, THE ABILITY TO HOLD THE ROAD LIKE THE BMW..WHICH
    THEY HAVE SUPERIOR ABILITY TO DO.. WHY CAN THEY NOT SUPPORT THE SAME QUALITY IN THE ELECTRICAL, ENGINE AND BRAKING SYSTEMS. OR DO THEY JUST BREAK TO REPLACE EXPENSIVE PARTS ON PURPOSE TO "PICK POCKET YOUR $$"

I WOULD NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE FROM THE LAND ROVER IN FORT WORTH TEXAS EVER... NOR WOULD I RECOMMEND ANYONE TO DO SO.. IN 2006 SUV REVIEWS THE LAND ROVER 75,000.00 VERSION AND THE LR3 WERE 2 OF THE TOP WORSE SUV'S IN THE MARKET BECAUSE OF THEIR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS... UNTIL FORD STOPS
    CHEAPING THE LAND ROVERS QUALITY IN BUILD OUT.. THE LAND ROVER WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. OR IS IT JUST THE LAND ROVER NOW UNABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE QUALITY IT USE TO BRING TO TO THE MARKET.

TRUE STORY...I REALLY LOVED THE DRIVE OF THE FREE LANDER/NOW KNOWN AS THE LR2, AND ONLY WISHED IT HAD THE SAME QUALITY OF THE BMW DEPENDABLE ABILITY OR OTHERS SUCH AS TOYOTA, JEEP, ETC., THAT ARE RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE.
    Shares nothing with the Freelander. Not a single component from the Freelander made it over to the LR2 you cannot compare the two.

They aren't even made in the same Factory anymore. The LR2 is made at Jaguars Halewood plant that has won numerous quality awards over the past couple of years.

As to Ford creating quality problem at Land Rover that is just not true. Land Rover was in much, much worse shape prior to Ford's ownership. BMW started cleaning up Land Rovers problems from 1995-2000 but since they were more concerned with using Land Rovers SUV experience to help design the X5 they did not do as much as they could.
  • tuggerrum19tuggerrum19 Member Posts: 2
    I leased...just personal preference....there are no special financing deals right now - hopefully before the one I ordered gets in but it not, oh well. As a reminder, Land Rover is owned by Ford and I was able to use my company's Ford discount (work for a large company that as this available to us).
    British_rover,

I understand that you work with Land Rover. I'd like to know if you had any numbers on the cost of "wear and tear", ie. brakes, tires, etc. Our dealer didn't have any info to give us as of yet.
    Okay, we finally had the chance to test drive the LR2 today.

WHAT WE LIKED:
    I thought the push button start was pretty nifty. Not necessary, but yet another fun button to play with. I'm only 5'3" and after adjusting the seat, I found that my peripheral view was wide and expansive. My apprehension with SUVs / trucks was not being tall enough to see over the dash, but that went away with the LR2.

We test drove the one with the Tech Package, and personally I found the center dash a bit too busy with buttons. While driving, it was difficult to figure out which buttons to press for the radio / climate, but then perhaps I should be concentrating on the road instead? :P I'll just need to read the manual so it doesn't seem overwhelming.

The drive was smooth and quiet, both on regular streets and highway. You can't even notice the car shifting gears which was neat. We played with the Hill Descent Control, and it was essentially a slow-mo cruise control down the hill. No need to keep your foot on the brake, it goes down the hill at about 3-5MPH.

The dual moonroof was a total hit with my bf's cousin who sat in the back... she didn't feel left out.

WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE:
    Lots of buttons and gadgets on the center dash / console means minimal room for storage. There are a couple of center cup holders, and a cubby hole, but the cubby hole has no lid. Strange.

My boyfriend is 6'2", and after he adjusts his seat on the driver's side, the only person who can sit behind him is someone my size. The back seat doesn't shift back or tilt. Not a huge problem if it's just us driving around with minimal cargo. The issue appears when we try to fold the back seat down. With the driver's seat pushed all the way back, you can't fold the back seat down flat.

All in all, great vehicle features and great ride. Some issues with leg room, but forgivable for us. Just waiting on info on reliability, then we'll decide.
    Maybe for Jaguar it has won awards... but NOT FOR THE LR2..
    I would love to believe that this HAS NO SIMILIAR COMPPONENTS....NOT BEING MADE BY LAND ROVER but by THE JAGUAR PLANT which Jaguar is known for having constant repairs as well is just as bad. FOR MY SELF.. 30,0000 paid in 4 years for a SUV THAT HAD NO TRADE IN VALUE WHAT SO EVER.. WITH A "0" interest rate financing.. IS 30,000.00
    REASONS WHY I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE PURCHASING THE LR2 UNTIL THEY CAN PROVE THEY ARE QUALITY AND REPAIR THE CONSUMERS TRUST ON THE ONES WHO SPEND MILLIONS IF NOT BILLIONS PRIOR TRUSTING LAND ROVER WITH THEIR DECISION TO PURCHASE THEIR PRIOR JUNK.
  • jld2jld2 Member Posts: 4
    I agree. I have similar apprehension. I own a 2002Freelander which has never STOPPED running and is GREAT in snow but had several annoying issues requiring repeated visits to dealer. My last visit resulted in me using their loaner for several weeks with the understnding that I did not want the Freelander back until it was fixed. I would get the LR2 as I have driven it several times and like the product very well....but I am so reluctant to feel as if I will be exchanging a new "problem" for an old problem. yikes!!!
    READ THE JAGUAR FIX OR REPAIR DAILY PROBLEMS.. THIS IS THE AWARD WINNING PLANT.. ???????

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/jaguar_multiple_problems.html

Consumer News Recalls Complaint Form Scam Alerts
    Rogues Gallery Good Guys Search Home Page Email Login
    Password
    New users

Small Claims Guide | Lemon Law | FAQ | Resources | Newsletters | Blogs | Video | Spanish
    Automotive Education Electronics Family Finance Health Homeowners Shopping Travel

AUTOMOTIVE Dealers | Manufacturers | Service | Warranties | Lemon Laws | Recalls | Tires | Transporters | Racing

Jaguar - Multiple, Repeated Problems

Advertisement

Jaguar
    • Brakes
    • Deceleration problems
    • Multiple problems
    • Transmission
    • Other vexations

Timothy of New York NY (3/1/04):
    In March 2002 my wife and I leased a 2003 Jaguar X-Type. The cost was slightly higher than that advertised, once you added in the "options" which was fine. In the two years since we have had the car, it has been a non-stop nightmare. Within the first few months, we started noticing a gasoline smell in the cabin of the car, and the "gas cap ajar" light would come on. So we took the car to the dealer twice for this problem, and twice it was returned. Once they said nothing was wrong and the second time we were told it was the "gas cap sensor" which was replaced.

So one day we are getting gas at a local gas station, and a 17 year old kid comes over and said that gas was trickling from the gas tank! I took a look, and sure enough, a small but steady stream of gasoline was leaking! Of course this happened on a Sunday, so I could not reach anyone until Monday. Needless to say, the dealer was quite apologetic, and promised to fix it right away.

In the meantime, I served Jaguar (I am a lawyer) with a lemon law notice. Under NJ (where we live) law, if the dealer does not fix the car after three tries, you get your money back, and the dealer has to inform all future purchasers that the car was returned under the NJ lemon law. In the interim, I got a call from Jaguar offering us one-month's lease rebate ($417) for the "inconvenience." I accepted it, but refused to sign any waivers, just in case. So instead of crediting us the one month, we were billed, and then sent a check. I deposited the check, and once it cleared, I sent it back to them as the payment for the particular month. In the interim, the payment was late, so they billed us late fees. I refused to pay the late fees, so they have been billing us late fees on the late fees to date, although the lease payments are fully paid.

So once this was fixed, everything seemed fine, until about six months later, in early 2003. At that point, the driver's side door would not open. So when we took the car to the dealer, they fixed it. They also told us that the front rims were bent, and wanted $1,200.00 to fix them. For the record my wife drives the car 99% of the time, and is a very slow and cautious driver, to say the least. I told them forget it, but the fellow at the repairs department wrote on an invoice that they diagnosed the problem and that we declined the repair. Clearly to build a record. So about three or four months after that, the trunk stopped opening. Once again, in the car went. No mention of bent front rims this time, however.

Finally, about four weeks ago, the rear passenger side tire was flat. I called AAA to come and repair it. When the tow truck arrived, the driver told me that he would probably not be able to get the wheel off, something he encoutered a lot with Jaguars (of course). So he took the lugs off, and sure enough, the wheel would not budge. The driver told me the dealership would have to bank off the wheel, which probably was rusted on. So we called the dealership, and they sent a flat bed to come and tow the car.

My wife then went in the next day to pick up the car, and was told that the problem was a cracked rim, and that a new rim was about $400.00. Obviously we had no choice, so I had them replace the rim. I am convinced that the dealership cracked the rim when trying to remove it from the car, but this can never be proven. To make matters worse, we recently received a recall notice. Apparently the turn signal will blink inside the car, but the light outside will night. Therefore, the driver will think he or she is signalling.

Damage Resulting: None other than I can hardly wait to return this overpriced piece of garbage to the dealer and watch them try and convince me to lease another one!

Fine, but Timothy should be aware that alloy rims are delicate and likely to be damaged when slamming through New Jersey potholes. If he doesn't want to replace the rims on his next car, he should specify steel wheels. The problem of alloy rims adhering to the hub is likewise not unusual. A few taps with a sledge hammer will usually get them off. Again, this is not really a defect ... more the nature of the beast.

Sheila of Oakland CA (8/18/03):
    I purchased my 1999 XJ8 in December of 2001. 3-4 months after purchase the low engine coolant lite came on -- I reported this to the Jaguar dealer. They checked and said they replaced the thermostat regulator. I drove the car 3-4 more months and the problem happened again ... this time, the hose exploded and all fluids escaped. I was stranded in Richmond for three hours.

Supposedly the problem was corrected, however, early summer 2003 the radiator hose exploded again while driving on the freeway. Jaguar, finally, tells me that this is a defect and they cannot guarantee that it won't happen again. They replaced appropriate parts and said I should be OK. Today, August 16, 2003, again, my coolant lite came on. I will be having my car towed in the morning and I am going to do everything i can think of to get this problem resolved.

Jaguar should have disclosed this problem with the car at the time of purchase. I do believe they are aware of it.

Nick of Absecon NJ (3/27/03):
    Problems with ignition coils/parts. I own a 2000 Jaguar S-Type. As soon as my warranty expired I started having problems with the car misfiring. I was told that one of the ignition coils went bad. I replaced it and 2 weeks later the same problem occurred. Now I had to replace the remaining 7 ignition coils. The problem is that these parts are not available. They were ordered and Jaguar still doesn't have them. My car has been sitting in the shop since last Friday March 21.

I called Jaguar several times and sent several e-mail messages with no avail. In response I get these pre-typed e-mail messages telling me how great they are! I've been asking for a rental car since they do not have the parts in. Their answer was that once the warranty is over they do not have any type of car rental service. As of today, Thursday March 27, Jaguar still doesn't know when they will receive the parts. I
  • jld2jld2 Member Posts: 4
    yes, I'm a bit confused as I've heard over the years that Jaguar means problems....do not get a sense of confidence with this spin on this connection with the jaguar assembly plant. It feels risky not confidence-building. Anyone with REAL facts on this, not spin?
    AFTER 30,000..00 IN 4 YEARS I PAID WITH "0" % INTEREST ... I HAD NO TRADE IN VALUE WHAT SO EVER WITH THE 2004 FREELANDER SE..

UNTIL FORD/LAND ROVER CAN REPAIR THE QUAILITY ISSUES AND REPAIR THE TRUST THAT WAS GIVEN TO THE PRIOR CONSUMERS WHO HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS AND EXPENSES TRYING TO KEEP THE SUV ON THE ROAD.. KNOWING YOU COULD NOT DARE TAKE THIS SUV ON A LONG ROAD TRIP BECAUSE IT CHANCES OF BREAKING DOWN WERE GREATER THAN MAKING IT TO IT DESTINATION.. AND IGNORING THE ONES WHO SPENT MILLIONS IF NOT BILLIONS ON THIS JUNK BESIDES THE SAFETY ISSUES THIS ALSO CAUSED, SHOULD KEEP THIS LR2 OFF THE MARKET UNTIL THE PRIOR CONSUMERS HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE CHANCE TO REVIEW THIS LR2 FOR AT LEAST 2 YEARS FREE OF CHARGE BY GIVING THEM TEST SUV'S TO RETURN TO FORD/LANDROVER AFTER THE 2 YEAR TESTING WAS COMPLETED AND IF PROBLEMS WERE CONSISTENT THEN THEY DO NOT BRING THIS PRODUCT TO MARKET UNTIL THEY CAN PROVE IT IS QUALITY AND WE ARE NOT THROWING MONEY INTO THEIR POCKETS AND STILL NOT HAVE A SUV OF QUALITY TO DRIVE AND FEEL FREE OF IT BREAKING DOWN INSTANTLY.

I THINK IT IS JUST ANOTHER MONEY PIT FOR CONSUMERS TO FALL INTO AT THIS POINT.
    The following postings are directly from this site under JAGUAR PROBLEMS

#181 of 200 Re: 2006 XJ8L BUYBACK REQUESTED [ghraia] by mylemon2 Aug 05, 2006 (6:26 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: ghraia (Aug 03, 2006 6:11 pm)

Did you have to get an Attorney to fight for you in order to get Jag to make this offer? Or, did they make this offer in response to your personal complaint? How long did this whole process take until you got this fax?
    Replies to this message:
    • unknown (Aug 06, 2006 5:33 pm)

#182 of 200 letter from jag accelerate? by connie5 Aug 06, 2006 (6:51 am)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    "Service action S124" - 2006 xj8 letter states if ignition is switched off quickly with brake pedal applied, message to control prevents control unit from entering "sleep" mode, which can discharge the battery. Sounds like it may accelerate because of the following: Jag advises that before you get this fixed here is what to do: When turning off vehicle, select Park position, set the PARKING brake, then release the foot brake and then shut off engine!!!!!
    #183 of 200 Re: 2006 XJ8L BUYBACK REQUESTED [mylemon2] by Aug 06, 2006 (5:33 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: mylemon2 (Aug 05, 2006 6:26 pm)

They made the offer after written complaint and study of service records. Took about 40 days after first letter, but car was in their shop about 100 days. This was a specific problem that they could identify, but could not repair.
    #184 of 200 Correction, Service Action S724 by connie5 Aug 09, 2006 (1:55 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    I had Jag service action number wrong,it is S724, which sounds like an acceleration problem.
    #185 of 200 Check engine light on by bigstraw Aug 11, 2006 (12:31 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    I've had repairs done in the last week, the manifold hose was cracked and the valve cover gasket was leaking. The guy repaired all of that and the car is running well, but now the check engine light is on. He put it back on the machine and the code P1401 comes up which he says is a sensor, but there are so many sensors he doesn't know exactly which one it is. I don't want to take it back to the Jag dealer because they think I own a money tree, never to spend less than 2k each time I take it there. So I've resorted to a trust worthy mechanic who has done good work on all of my other cars. He has worked on jags too but this code has him baffled. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what sensor this code is pointing to. I guess one could say that this is a lemon too, I've spent over 7k with jaguar in the last year to keep it running. I don't want to return to jaguar. Please help.
    #186 of 200 Valve lifter noise by aliabadi Sep 01, 2006 (9:51 pm)
    Bookmark | E-mail Msg
    I have a 1998 XJ8. This car has a valve lifter noise at start-up. After I rev the motor to about 1500 rpm there is a sound as if a solenoid or switch is kicking in. After that engine is quiet. (I am wondering if one or both variable valve solenoids might be failing). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have flushed the engine twice and have changed the timing chain tensioners recently. I also have installed Original Jag Oilfilter and have played with putting thin or thich oil. no significant change. Thanks.
    #187 of 200 message center says ''boot open' by epool Sep 04, 2006 (2:26 pm)
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Okay, we get it. Your opinion is well known. I am interested in knowing what folks think of their new LR2s, not your ranting. I'm not certain how Land Rover is supposed to "prove" that the vehicle is "quality," and your suggestion that they give you one for 2 years for free is ridiculous. Don't buy one if you are worried. You went from a Land Rover to a Jeep, and that says a lot right there. I will conclude from your posts that you are unhappy, but your evangelist-style rant reduces your credibility. A factual statement of issues, typed in normal sentence case rather than all caps, would go a long way to improving your credibility.

So far, the LR3s have not fared all that well either. That being said, I like the LR2, and purchasing it based on its featues may outweigh the possible downsides. Time will tell.

Regards,
    Tom
    I am taking my chances on the LR2. I traded in my Volvo S60.
    One of the most dependable cars in the world.
    LR 2 has Volvo's front crash structure, lower-control-arm and strut-front suspension layout, fire-wall stamping, and parts of its front subframe to the unibody LR2, along with a similar all-wheel-drive layout by Haldex AWD and a 3.2-liter inline six-cylinder engine made by Volvo, a six-speed Aisin-Warner automatic transmission the best transmission maker in the world (from Japan), a tested and problem free Terrain Response system and luxury no Jeep can match. Significant improvements for me. With a power train like that I will and did take the chance.
    Tom...

Thank you for your reply.. Who would NOT BE TYPING IN ALL CAPS if they experienced what the Freelander/Range Rover owners have experienced in the past couple of years.. How would you feel if you had a 75,000.00 Rover and it was listed as one of the WORSE SUV'S on the SUV market for 2006.. I would be typing in CAPS ... DON'T BUY.. unless you are willing to throw away 1. money, 2 time waiting for a tow truck to come get you.. 3. time waiting for the repairs and having to continue this process at least 1 to 2 times a month for the life of the SUV. 4. Not to mention the "safety issue" of having it stop working without any indication of a problem. Prior to purchasing the freelander, I had NEVER been stranded before, or felt unsafe. I went with a JEEP LIBERTY FULLY LOADED.. Because my sister-in-law had one and had NO PROBLEMS, was NOT in the shop Constantly, and on her prior "Jeep" she had, was over 160,000 miles b4 she traded it in.. and still did not spend the money I did, and still recived some "TRADE IN VALUE" on a Jeep that was 7 years old.. I had a 318I.. after 7 years received "6,000" from "Carco" .. the place that buys cars.

It seems you must be working for either FORD or LAND ROVER..
    HONESTY is the BEST POLICY.. when it comes to CONSUMER CONFIDENCE, and SUPPORT.. B. GANT , TEXAS
  • colecole Member Posts: 67
    We get the point... Can we move on now?
  • haagdhaagd Member Posts: 20
    Any info on the trailer hitch? Seems like it is a ways off and pretty exepensive. Also towing capacity a bit weak compared to peer vehicles. Type II hitch a bit week.
  • haagdhaagd Member Posts: 20
    I do not think there is a compass unless you are referring to the navigation system
    I believe the compass is in the rear view mirror.
    I'm looking for anyone who has had the new LR2 / Freelander 2 for some time now. I know that they just started to deliver them a few weeks ago, but if any of you have had them for longer than a couple of months, I'd like to hear your experiences. How IS the vehicle on long drives? Any repairs already?

No, not talking about multiple short test drives, but actual ownership of the LR2.

PS. There is no compass in the rearview mirror.
    Well, they've only been available in the US for a couple of weeks, but at this site below, people have had them for several months and talk about their experiences:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/
  • presspress Member Posts: 17
    I had my first drive in the LR2 today. Overall a great car. If you go for the full options list, the cold weather and technology package, there is a lot to offer. However, upon closer inspection, Land Rover cut out some equipment that many of us would expect to be standard on a car at this price. For one, it comes without a Homelink system, those convenient buttons that open your garage. I don't want three remotes cluttering my visor. With all the other electronic gadgetry, this should have been a no brainer. On the tailgate, the rear glass does not open separately, particularly useful since this is a subcompact. If you are like me and make trips to Home Depot, it will be a challenge, since the car doesn't come standard with rail racks on top either. The cubby hole in the center console lacks a tambour door or simply a hinged cover. Would have expected this in this price range. If you look closely when you are in the front seats, the front of the seat has a little pouch. My wife will love this and so will I, so wehn I corner hard, I won't have makeup flying around, since the cubby doesn't have a lid. While the wheels are attractive, the 18 inchers look lost in the big wheel wells. 19' would look better and with a little more rubber as in the X3. The NAV system was excellent, very intuitive. I expected in a non nav mode,the beautiful screen would be used for other messages. Instead, they use a green black 2 line lcd screen to give you all the other info. You can tell LandRover dipped into the Volvo and Jaguar parts bin for this car and this goes beyond the Volvo motor. When I folded down the rear seats, the subframe looked like it came right out of a Volvo. Strong and sturdy. Acceleration was good, but not exceptional. Good torque, but not sure how it would be fully loaded. Not sure I will be able to load much since the trunk room is not that large. I think this car could handle another six inches of rear overhang, providing great cargo space and it would not detract from the overall great lines. Fit and Finish looked very good. A nice solid feel to the car and when inside appears larger. Maybe that is attributable to the two sunroof system. The wind deflector and the two windscreens are a great touch. Braking and handling were good. I was expecting more rol in the turns as in its bigger brother, so that was a welcome change. Now my only question is did LandRover get it right on this car in the dependability department. First years are always tough and with LR's poor dependability heritage, time will tell.
  • betasigma98betasigma98 Member Posts: 12
    I have had my LR2 for about a week. I had a Dodge Nitro on order for about 10 weeks, and cancelled for this vehicle. I'm really glad I did. This is an overall nicer vehicle top to bottom.

First, don't let your decision be swayed by some random dude who has a vendetta against Land Rover because of one bad vehicle. Usually the only ones who post like that are mad at their bad luck. I know Land Rover doesn't have the best reliability, that's why I leased it for a shorter time than the warranty, and from a dealer with a great reputation.

I am a major gadget guy, so I'll focus on that here. I was told that at this time I have the only Baltic Blue LR2 fully loaded on the east coast. Outside, I really like the way this vehicle drives. Plenty of power, although I occasionally notice an extra downshift or two at the start. Very smooth and sturdy, though. I really like the heated windshield, Bi-Xenon headlights that adjust when I turn, and the overall look of the vehicle. The inside is very comfortable, with lots of gadgetry for me. Definitely go for the Tech package for the amazing Alpine sound system with 7.1 surround sound and 14 speakers. Sirius sounds great in it, and will remember up to 10 of your favorite songs. The AUX jack is a plus that is fairly standard. Get an mp3 player to store and play all your favorite tunes. I like the push-button start. Overall, the cabin is very comfortable and roomy.

No machine is perfect, so I do have a few complaints. First, they don't tell you that even though it has hands free bluetooth calling, your bluetooth cell phone will probably not work in this thing. I have a PDA phone with bluetooth that I have to get rid of to get another that works (I think it has something to do with Windows Mobile). Be sure to call LR to get a compatibility list of phones. I have a $35 bluetooth headset that will pair with my phone fine, but a $40,000 vehicle will not. Strange. I am waiting on a Treo 700p I got from eBay that will work with it. Like the previous poster, I am not sure why homelink is not available either. Also, the navigation is not voice activated. Finally, I am also not sure why they have a really great touch navigation screen, only to stuff the radio information and Sirius information on the little 2 line LCD area below.

I am really happy with my LR2 purchase. It has everything I was looking for tech-wise, and it is comfortable and looks great too. It is kind of nice driving a vehicle that doesn't look like everybody else's. I would wholeheartedly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a smaller SUV and a little bit of luxury to go with it.
    Her is an article on the awards Halewood has won.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/112_news050615_jag_jdpowe/
    No sorry no info on that yet the vehicles just have not been out long enough.

The brakes are huge though much larger then most vehicles of this type so they probably will be a little more expensive.

To counteract this use the commandshift feature when going down long hills. We did this during the LR2 training and had no problem. My co-driver and I descended nearly 3,000 feet on a very twisty road while only using the brakes twice. We just downshifted the rest of the way.
    Hi, thanks for the report. You say you leased, do you mind telling us the lease price; miles, lease length, down payment, monthly payment? Thanks if you can, this information is very hard to find and is not consistent from dealer to dealer (from what I've seen). It's also been reported that the lease price is very high, although that report always seems to come from people who turn the lease down. So it's always best to get the lease price from someone who has actually leased one. Thanks.
    I know how exciting it is to get into a SUV you have high expectations for.... 30,000.000 4 years of trouble from 2 freelanders, and I AM NOT THE ONLY SOLE WHO HAS EXPERICED THIS MIS-FORTUNE of seeing our $$$ HAVE NOT VALUE. One made dude is far from the truth.. milllions of owners as yourself were just as excited when they got their FREELANDERS... I would hope anyone who decides to purchase one would take great caution not only in the purchase of the Freeklander but look at the past 'MECHANICAL PROBLEMS"
    that NOT only affected the Freelander but the Rover @ 75,000.00 SUV and the LR3... NOW you can NOT be that Blind and ignore..or blame it on ONE PERSON'S BAD EXPERIENCE..
    YOU AGAIN must be working with either LAND ROVER/FORD to make such a "INFORMED" comment. I DEARLY LOVED THE DRIVE OF THE SUV.... AND I PURCHASED NOT LEASED.. AS I HAVE WITH EVERY CAR/SUV I HAVE OWNED WHICH is Quite a lot.

Research all comments on this form and other's and articles, Consumer Affairs reports and Attorney General issue on these... I DEARLY HOPE THEY HAVE WORKED OUT THEIR BUGS.. BUT I DOUBT it from what I have heard already.. A good example is waiting for 30 minutes to get the SUV started after taking it through the CAR WASH... TIME and your $$ will soon be telling you..

I wish you SAFETY !!

B Gant
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    #1 This car (or any Land Rover) have never been sold in the millions - particularly if you look at North American volumes.
    #2 The car was VERY successful in Europe - best selling small SUV more than once before it was brought to US.
    #3 The LR2 is a COMPLETELY different car - deliveries just started 1 April.
    #4 This is a LR2 site - not a Freelander site
    The ones in EUROPE are made in EUROPE.. THE ones in the U.S. ARE NOT of the same quality as they are in EUROPE.. If you go into the other forms where the Freelander has been in Europe you will see it they too have had their problems.. I would like to know all the PARTS THAT ARE NOT OF THE FREELANDER other than the Interior. SOME of the interior is still like the 2004 Freelanders according to the pictures. Has the electrical system been completely replaced or is it the same used as the FREEELANDERS ? HONEST ANSWERE PLEASE? Breaking system>... HAS IT BEEN REPACED OR IS IT THE SAME.. AGAIN HONEST ANSWER... ENGINE.. IS IT THE SAME MFG AS PRIOR.. OIL LEAKS, ENGINE PROBLEMS AND ELECTRICAL AND 2 TIMES I WAS TOWED BECAUSE I HAD NO BRAKES... 1 time towed because it just stopped.. ELECTRICAL.. The pedal was NOT READING THE SIGNALS TO TELL THE SUV TO MOVE FORWARD.. INTAKE VALE PROBLEMS... ARE SERIOUS.. AND HARD TO FIX.. IF ABLE TO DO SO.. THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE TIMES I WAS TOWED.. or STRANDED.

IF THESE ITEMS ARE STILL THE SAME AS IN THE FREELANDER.. IT IS STILL A FREELANDER.. IF IT LOOK LIKE A DUCK YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO DRESS IT AS A CHICKEN.. BUT IT IS STILL A DUCK..
    "The ones in EUROPE are made in EUROPE.. THE ones in the U.S. ARE NOT of the same quality as they are in EUROPE.."

Actually they are the same.

Hosts, is there an 'ignore' feature? It's time to stop feeding the troll.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Everyone is welcome to post here as long as the conversation is civil.

Most of us do skip over posts with a bunch of CAPS in them since they are difficult to read.

I suggest you just use the scroll bar to skip pass messages you don't wish to read.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    Yep - all Freelanders including NA Vehicles are made in the same plant by the same people on the same days. Again, this is a LR2 forum, not a Freelander forum
    *puts on hip waders to go through this post....

The ones in EUROPE are made in EUROPE.. THE ones in the U.S. ARE NOT of the same quality as they are in EUROPE..

Wrong Land Rovers have always been made in England and untill the LR2/Freelander 2 they were always made in the same Factory. That factory is in Sollihul England. The new LR2 factory is Hallewood and is a joint project with Jaguar.

If you go into the other forms where the Freelander has been in Europe you will see it they too have had their problems..

Sure like any car it has had problems in Europe but no where near the problems they had in the US because the drivelines were different. Most of the European Freelanders were Diesel and stick shift which fixed most of the problems with the freelander. The freelander was the best selling SUV of all time in europe and has won the small SUV of the year over and over and over. They still didn't sell millions of them though. Land Rover sells less then 200,000 vehicles a year.

I would like to know all the PARTS THAT ARE NOT OF THE FREELANDER other than the Interior. SOME of the interior is still like the 2004 Freelanders according to the pictures. Has the electrical system been completely replaced or is it the same used as the FREEELANDERS ?

LRguy and myself just got back from the LR2 launch. They had cutaways of the LR2 there and there is not a single component from the Freelander in it. THe LR2 looks like a freelander because the freelander was so sucessful in the rest of the world.

Freelander used a 2.5 liter V6 that made 174 hp. It was designed back in the early 90s by Rover car company.

LR2 uses a 3.2 liter I6 that makes 230 hp and is shared with the new S80. It is a completly modern engine that was a joint venture between Volvo, Land Rover and Ford. Might also find its way into some new Jags.

Freelander had a 5 speed automatic

LR2 has a 6 speed automatic that is shared with the new S80.

The freelander had rear drums and front disc brakes.

The LR2 has discs all the way around that are made by BREMBO and the front brakes are ventilated from the inside out. Actually very cool to see.
    ... please turn off the constant use of ALL CAPS. A little sprinkling is okay, but the downpour of the caps is making it difficult for me to read your views (which I do appreciate, btw!). My eyes are starting to bug out, and they're pretty bad to begin with. ;)
    Forgive me... I'm getting a little OCD with the LR2, and I've been soaking up as much info as I can on it. I went to a Freelander 2 forum to see how the Europeans are liking it so far. There's talk of some electrical problems, but that there is a "program patch" available from the Land Rover dealerships. :confuse:

Is this true? Would it apply to the meant for North America vehicles?

Oy!
  • ecoercecoerc Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a Samsung Blackjack is compatible with the bluetooth system?
    http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Vehicles/Freelander2/Interior_Technology/phone_- integration.htm

Scroll down. There's a link for a complete list of approved phones. It's from their UK site, but the US list should be pretty similar.

There's a bunch of Samsung phones, but they are listed by model numbers. I'm not familiar w. the Blackjack to know which one it is. Looks like most are not fully compatible.

YMMV
  • ecoercecoerc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I should have mentioned I had already looked at that list and didn't see it on there. From the list it looks like the more complicated your phone is, the less likely it'll work. So you can't have a fancy car and a fancy phone? We have a Blackjack and Motorola Razr and they both work with our BMW, however the Blackjack's contacts cannot be accessed through the system (which is fine). Even limited functionality would be fine. If anyone tries pairing one with it let me know.
    Oops. Sorry. Good luck. Hopefully they'll support more phones sooner rather than later.
    Razr will work fine no idea about the Blackjack. In general the smart phones don't work well with the Nokia Bluetooth systems.

Unless Nokia or Motorolla makes them that is.
    I am told by the dealer that only LR2's with Nav. get a compass.