Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• eds1300eds1300 Member Posts: 71
    Premium gas is required. Besides premium gas, not much leg room at back, and not as good
    stereo system(compared to I30) the QX4 is
    an excellant choice, especially at current
    incentive that Infiniti is offering (3.9%).
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    piwito: you mention you cannot afford a 2001, but have you looked into the option of buying from Canada? It will still be more expensive than a used 98, but most likely much cheaper than what you've seen for new QX4s at US dealers. Hopefully Jon will chime in here and pick up where I left off. Many people have gone to Canada and saved about $5000. Check it out.

-johnskev
  • darlagaultdarlagault Member Posts: 4
    Premium gas is recommended, but I switched to Regular a few months ago and have noticed no difference. I will continue using Regular.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no soliciting on Town Hall. Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    Perhaps you should read this article.

Demystifying Octane Ratings
    A gasoline's octane rating quantifies its resistance to knocking and pinging. These two sounds are caused by abnormal combustion, which robs power and can damage an engine. Knocking and pinging are basically the same thing; knocking is louder and represents a more serious condition. When they occur, it is during acceleration, though higher engine speeds tend to drown them out. Knocking sounds like someone repeatedly rapping the engine with a hammer, and the quieter pinging resembles marbles being shaken inside a tin can.

Many conditions in the engine itself can cause or promote combustion anomalies, but when all other factors are equal, gasoline with a higher octane rating is more resistant to knocking and pinging than a lower-octane fuel. So why doesnt everyone just use high-octane gasoline? Because it is more expensive, and there is no advantage whatsoever in using premium gasoline in a car that doesn't specifically require it. At one time, only premium gasoline included additives that prevent fuel-injector clogging; now, all grades are basically the same in this regard.
    If your car requires high-octane gasoline and you habitually use regular gas because the engine exhibits no sign of knock, you're outsmarting yourself. Most modern, computer-controlled engines include a knock sensor that detects knock and retards the ignition timing, causing the spark plugs to fire slightly later in the cycle. This typically prevents abnormal combustion and knock, which allows vehicles specified for premium fuel to run on lower-grade gasoline if it is all that's available. While this removes the immediate hazard, it's a bad idea to make a habit of running a vehicle on gasoline of lower-than-recommended octane. Retarding the spark causes a richer fuel/air mixture, which decreases fuel economy, increases emissions, causes the engine to run hotter, and reduces the longevity of both the engine itself and the catalytic converter. The money you save by pumping low-grade fuel into a car that demands higher octane is lost anyway, in decreased fuel economy and possibly gradual damage.
    Your vehicle's owner's manual usually recommends an octane rating in terms of an Antiknock Index (AKI), which also is posted on gasoline pumps. The AKI is the average of two ratings determined in a laboratory: the Research Octane Number (RON), which corresponds with low-speed, mild-knocking conditions, and the Motor Octane Number (MON), which covers high-speed, high-temperature knocking conditions and part-throttle operation.
    In general, three grades of gasoline are available in the United States: regular (AKI = 87), midgrade (AKI = 89) and premium (AKI = 91 to 94). The posted gasoline AKIs are lower in the Rocky Mountain states because less octane is needed at higher altitudes. Motorists whose cars require 91 octane fuel may find themselves at filling stations that offer only 89 and 93 octane, but nothing in between. In these cases, the options are to pay more for the 93 octane or to fill the tank halfway with 93 and the rest with 89. The resulting gasoline mixture, just like the average of their two AKI numbers, will equal 91 octane.
  • qby4manqby4man Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if 01 headlights will fit on a 97? I went to the dealer and asked them, but they said that there was no way for them to tell. I parked my 97 next to a new one and measured with my hands (just estimating) and they fit up. Hopefully I can buy some 01 headlights or atleast the lamp housings and mount them on my qby4.
  • cgatzkecgatzke Member Posts: 5
    does $25K sound too high for a '97 QX4 in great shape with 48K miles and an extended warranty taking it through 90K miles bumper to bumper. sounds fair, but im not sure. book says $21,500, but i'm sure they are selling for more, especially in good shape. Any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's one resource:

Edmunds.com True Market Value

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    when the dealer mentioned that price i would have laughed my way right out of his store. the $21.5K is probably right on.

this is an EXTREMELY LOW DEMAND vehicle.

check the service records. this is probably an off-lease vehicle which may have been poorly maintained.

you don't mention any options, such as sunroof, htd seats, 2nd cd player etc????
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    I'm waiting for my new QX4. Anyone help with the difference between the 17" Michelins vs. the Bridgestones that they come in with? Which are quiter, best ride and wear, etc. Thanks
  • reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    Anyone know where I could buy window flares for a QX4? I've had these on all the SUV's I've owned over the years, but was just thinking; do they make these for Infiniti? Not sure of the term, but these are those smoked plastic rain and wind deflectors that go on with double stick tape. Thanks
  • davnisdavnis Member Posts: 1
    Does any owners of the Infiniti QX4 know whether
    the On star system can be installed rather than the navigational system that comes with the new models?

I have been in cars and SUB's with On star, and I think it is awesome to hear a voice directing you to exactly where you are going. This device also unlocks doors, and helps retrieve lost or stolen vehicle.
  • kelly54kelly54 Member Posts: 7
    I am currently negotiating with dealer..I'm 2000k under MSRP on 2WD w/premium, sunroof and deflector..is this a good deal?
  • c43amg7c43amg7 Member Posts: 32
    We had the Bridgestones on our '99 QX4 and switched to Michelins when they wore down -- tremendous improvement for normal street/highway use, tho the Bridgestones might be better if you do a lot of driving on gravel roads or off-road. When we traded for our 2001 QX4, we specified the Michelins.

On the pre-2001 vs the earlier QX4: I would agree that the newer model is far superior, primarily for the engine (no comparison between laboring 167HP and 240HP for this heavy vehicle, although premium is now required), Xenon lights and better dash and gauge illumination. The pre-2001 leather seemed softer (but perhaps that's because it was used over time!) and that the pre-2001 had more of a stable feel (I thought it felt much less "tippy" than other SUVs and rather like sitting on top of a pyramid instead of a tall box), but perhaps that's due to the 2001's 17" wheels instead of 16".
  • podolawpodolaw Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a QX4 but i am wondering if i should wait til the 2002s come out in the fall. Does anyone know if there will be any significant changes and where to get that info?
  • boneradbonerad Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 QX4 that I bought in Canada (Toronto) that has been a real pleasure to own. I saved about 5K after flight and duty at the border. And it is FULLY loaded standard. The only problem I've had is in titling the vehicle in Minnesota, as the DOV will accept nothing other than a Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO). Canada uses a NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement) or so I have been told by Nissan Canada.

Anyone out there have a Canadian model and get a MSO with theirs? Or did everyone use the NVIS to title the vehicle? This has been an ongoing battle for the last year. I'm going to have to now sue the state of MN to title it.

As an aside, anyone have a good recommendation for a trailer hitch? I need to pick up a bike rack and need a hitch for the rack to mount on. Don't need the ball type, just the square hole to put the rack's "peg" into.
  • jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    Hey all, I'm getting ready to negotiate for a 2001 QX4. Just wanted to see if anyone's purchased fairly recently and what they were able to negotiate? Based on the April/May posts it appears invoice or a bit under is the target. Could anyone provide input, and for previous posters, clarify whether your price included the freight charge? Finally, I may buy Canadian, so if anyone has info on current Toronto-area prices, that would be great too.

Thanks for the help, and I look forward to joining the ranks!
  • peseuxpeseux Member Posts: 1
    On July 1st, I bought a 01 QX4 2WD/premium package, sunroof, towing package and wind deflector for $33,000. It's $600 under invoice price. Due to the high competition in the segment of SUV, I think it's easy to get a QX4 for below the invoice price. Also Infiniti provides great financing for QX4, 3.9% for up to 60 months. I think 01 QX4 is really worthy to buy.
  • kelly54kelly54 Member Posts: 7
    I have been negotiating with my dealer for about a week now, and he finally got down to Edmunds TMV on this vehicle: 01 QX4 sunroof, premium, wind deflector $33,300..It's about 3,000 under MSRP..I will try to get under invoice now...
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Is that 3.9% from Infiniti Financial Services and please confirm that is for up to 60 months. Can anyone else on the board verify this? If true, I might have to abandon my hunt for an MDX and go with QX4 instead (not a bad option, I might add).
    That's correct, Infiniti Financial Services is offering 3.9%, but I believe it's only good until 7/31. It's good up to 60 months. You're right, neither one is a bad choice - we almost chose the MDX!
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    bonerad,
    Not sure if you've seen my name here before, but I've been touting the big savings of going to Canada to buy since I did it last fall (see a summary at post #641 above). By coincidence I also live in Minnesota. I was out of the MN registrars office with my title application in forty minutes including filling out all the paperwork. The NVIS is equivalent to the MSO for all practical purposes. The dealer I bought from (in Toronto too) changed the NVIS to an Ontario title to make it easier. But, I know of dozens of others who have used the NVIS in numerous states. Write me if you think you might like some more insight into this.

By the way to others - you can still easily save $5000 on a QX4 by going to Canada. I have lots of details written up and some good contacts to make the process real easy. I now know of 50 people who have done this. Toronto and Vancouver are a lot closer to many people than they think.

-Jon
  • flinflin Member Posts: 29
    put some qx4 floormats on ebay but nobody's bidding. Do you guys have any suggestions on where I can go to get rid of them?
    Hi all, just bought my 2001 4WD Titanium QX4 with Sunroof, Premium, and Sport. Great vehicle! I had hoped to buy in Canada but was nixed by the wife. Paid invoice for the car, probably could have done a bit better, but since they're the only Infiniti shop in town, wanted to start off right. Anyway, my question is, does anyone have the cargo liner, cargo mat, or separation bars for the QX? Do they cover the entire cargo area with the 2nd row down, or just behind the 2nd row? I've got 2 dogs, so need something durable. Thanks for any input.
  • markinctmarkinct Member Posts: 11
    Hi guys ... my brother and I just closed a deal to buy 2 QX4s with sunroof, sport, premium, rear dflector, interior wood kit and double pinstripe for $35,345 includes freight but not sales tax and tags. Was that a good deal considering it was a two-car purchase?

Also, what color pinstripes look good on a silver sage and a tuscan beige truck? Thanks!

Mark
  • marleyboymarleyboy Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 QX4, 2 large dogs, and the cargo liner. The cargo liner will cover the entire cargo area WITH the second row of seats folded down. But if your dogs shed a lot, you will be doing a lot of wiping/cleaning.

No idea about the other items, but I am considering buying some sort of cargo area barrier. I've heard too many horror stories from friends about separation bars rattling and the like. But I have seen some pet stores & catalogs selling a soft net barrier, similar in material to the cargo net.
  • endophilendophil Member Posts: 16
    I purchased a QX4 4x4 with sports,premium,sunroof,rear deflector for 33,400 including freight,not the taxes. This included 1000 customer loyalty from Infiniti.You should check out Connecticut if possible. They offer great deals and they work with you. Ask for Kevin. He is the one I dealt with.
    Thanks for the info. My dogs don't shed much, so I'll look into the cargo liner. As far as separation devices, with my Jeep I tried a net like what you describe, and the dogs put it out of commission pretty quickly (they're 55 & 75 lbs) by trying to climb through, over, etc. I then got a tubular bar barrier from one of the pet catalogs and it worked great - no rattles. I may just use it, but thought if Infiniti's was custom sized to the QX4, it might be better.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Another suggestion from me.... If you are anywhere even possibly close to Canada, go there to get your QX4! I did it last fall and you will save a bundle. Latest prices for a 4WD with prem, sport, and sunroof is about $30,500 total including the duty! See numerous posts above (and in Pathfinder forum) including a little summary I did at #641. I'm glad to show others how to do it - not tough at all.
    Write me with questions.
    -Jon
    Endophil,

Did you deal with Kevin Hyland at New Country in Greenwich?

What was the price WITHOUT any $1000 Infiniti customer loyalty?

Was the car brand new or a demo?

Did you get 3.9% financing?

Did you get wood kit or a pinstripe?

I went to New Country and I showed them your previous post about 33,400 and they said no way could they ever sell the car for that. Considering this is a two-car deal, I thouight that at the very least they could match the price they gave you on a single car deal -- if not beat it sine we are buying two.

If they are giving me a song and dance I would like to know because I will not deal with a dealer without integrity.

I am seeing them on Monday ... if you can answer over the weekend that would be helpful!
    Only input I can add is that the QX4 we test drove had Bridgestones, and they seemed a bit noisy on the road. The one we bought has Michelins and it does seem a little quieter. Not a huge difference, though. I will add that I had the Michelins on my Jeep GC and think they are a great tire; a huge improvement over the Goodyear LS.
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I purchased a Lexus RX300 w/Navigation in February. Before getting the car, I seriously considered the QX4 w/nav and the Pathfinder w/nav. If you get a fully loaded Pathfinder with Navigation, it's almost identical to QX4, except it's much MUCH cheaper. The reason I did not end up buying the QX4 or the Pathfinder was because the RX300 did much better in the safety test. I really suggest QX4 buyers to also check out Acura MDX, MB ML320, Lexus RX300, or maybe wait for next year's all new Toyota 4Runner Limited with a lot more horsepower.
    The car was $34,400 without the customer loyalty,it was brand new,3.9% financing was available,I dealt with Kevin if he is the young guy in his late 20's, there was no pinstriping,the interior has wood but I don't know what the wood kit is.
    Also, the safety data on the QX4 is based on the 1997 model which totally different than the current model using IIHS.Check the fine print
    I just spoke to Kevin. He said he is at invoice price on your cars. Since I purchased my car in March, he said they had to move the cars. Now they don't need to move them as much since they are selling. He said he is giving you the best deal. Let me know what happens.
    I agree, and I think this was a thread on the Pathfinder board. The IIHS is based on a 1997 model. Look at the NHTSA, there's a big improvement post-97 or 98, so presumably the IIHS offset test results would be better as well.
  • warhawkwarhawk Member Posts: 3
    We bought an Explorer in 1998, put in a cargo liner (with second row seats up) and then added a dog barrier. Not the "cage" type, but the style with the resizeable bars. It worked reasonably well and was quiet, although my wife felt the cage type looked better.

Earlier this year we added a second SUV, a 2001 QX-4. Shortly thereafter I went to the Pet Store and picked up a cage style dog barrier. You need to assemble it before installing it. It is resizeable, but you need to remove four screws from two side cages. When you go to install it, you need to be extra careful or the wires on the edges of the barrier will scratch the interior walls of your SUV, as I found out the hard way. The two support poles will put an indentation in your ceiling if you do not take precautions and put in some spacers to better distribute the pressure. Finally, this cage style barrier rattled and squeaked, loud and often.
    I finally got fed up and removed it. As it turns out, our dog is so well conditioned from his Explorer days, that he knows his boundary and will not even attempt to venture into the front of the vehicle. A dog barrier was unnecessary all along.

Finally, enough is enough from the Nissan Pathfinder crowd. Why must I keep reading posts from these people telling us that for $5000 less, one can get "essentially" the same vehicle as the QX-4, in the form of a 3.5L Pathfinder SE with various options. One of the reason we buy our QX-4's is for the alleged "prestige" that the vehicle affords us. Yes, I'm sure this will be mocked as "stupid rich snobs throwing away money", but the need for prestige shows up, from Calvin Klien jeans to Halston dresses. Even the redneck crowd has prestige running through their culture - Stetson hats, Harley motorcycles, Bassmaster fishing gear, etc.. Give it a rest already.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I currently own a 2001 PF and read the Pathfinder board often. From what I've read, I havn't notice many post in regards to "for $5000 less, one can get essentially the same vehicle" perhaps I may have skipped the ignorant. Anyway...I just want to share with you that if money was no object I would have preferred the QX4 over the PF, but I have no complaints with my decision. The money I saved went into renovating the masterbath...but I still somewhat wished I'd spent the extra bucks...especially when I see the QX4 on the road...nice eye candy!
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Just like people said for thousand less you can get a Honda Accord and why waste money for the TL. And also for thousand less you can get a Maxima and why the I30.

Maybe those people are jealous?
    Just different priorities. For some, the PF is a great vehicle (which it is) and is all they need. Other people (like my wife and I) have gotten used to a little more luxurious vehicle, and so opted for the QX4. Also liked the longer warranty and due to our schedules, the free loaner and greater customer service. We actually would have preferred to spend less money and not have the marquee name (weird reasons, but the truth), but the other factors steered us to the QX4. Hey, to each their own - they're both great trucks!
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    I don't think so. The problem here is that Nissan shot itself in the foot in terms of marketing and differentiating the QX4. For example, one could argue that a Lexus ES/GS300 is nothing more than a overpriced Camry, but the fact is that there are luxury and safety features on the Lexus you just can't get on the Camry.

But for some stupid reason Nissan decided to offer just about everything on the PF. You can get the leather, Bose, navigation system, etc., plus, you get the same peppy 3.5L engine. The only thing you can't get on the PF is rear heated seats (no big deal) and Xenon lamps (no big deal, not even self-leveling HIDS).

And we all know the build quality of both the PF and QX4 is great, so you're not gaining anything with the Qx4 in this respect.

Prestige? I've never seen a recent luxury SUV comparo (Car & Driver, Motortrend, etc.) where the QX4 even made the top 3.

So for a few thousand more you get extra insulation stuffed in the dash/body, some lower body plastic cladding, and an extra year of warranty.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...
  • marleyboymarleyboy Member Posts: 7
    [RANT ON]

If you've got an axe to grind, just admit it.
    Your post is inconsistent.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people seem
    to get their jollies by hanging out on the
    vehicle boards of automobiles they do not own
    and then trashing those vehicle owners' choice.
    (Although I do not know what kind of vehicle tonychrys owns.) Happened when I owned a Toyota
    Supra TT, it happens now that I own a QX4. And
    I still don't understand it.

You imply that the Lexus ES300 is not just
    an over-priced Camry because "the fact is that
    there are luxury and safety features on the Lexus
    that you just can't get on the Camry." But then
    you go on to note that the QX4 offers luxury
    (rear heated seats) and safety (xenon HID
    headlights) features "that you just can't get
    on the [Pathfinder]."

But much of what you say after that is equally
    applicable to an ES300/Camry comparison. To wit,
    "And we all know the build quality of both the
    [Camry] and [ES300] is great, so you're not
    gaining anything with the [ES300] in this
    respect."

And your statement that "for a few thousand more"
    all we foolish QX4 owners get is "extra
    insulation", extra "plastic cladding" and
    "an extra year of warranty" is pure crap. You
    already mentioned two other things we get:
    xenon headlights and rear heated seats. And
    the PF cannot be had with 17-inch wheels.
    Also, I do not believe that the PF LE comes
    with a wood trimmed steering wheel, and I think
    the color combination on the dash gauges is
    unique to the QX4.

And since when have any of the major car
    magazines been a model of objective analysis?
    They've never been. There was a little blurb
    in AutoWeek a few months ago about an ad in a
    trade publication for auto manufacturers where
    Motor Trend was advertising the publicity
    exposure and increased visibility a manufacturer's
    new vehicle could get by winning the COY/TOY
    awards, and invited interested parties to call
    Motor Trend's marketing director to find out how.

Face it, some of us bought a QX4 because we
    wanted to. We liked it more than the Pathfinder.
    Perhaps in some people's opinion (like yours) the extra $4000 or so between the PF LE and the QX4
    is "not worth it," but you are trying to graft
    purely objective analysis on a process (car
    buying) that is not and has never been purely
    objective.

People buy cars for lots of reasons. Some people,
    because of financial circumstances or otherwise,
    are forced to buy something inexpensive and
    practical, and can afford to employ only objective
    criteria in selecting a vehicle. But many
    people, indeed most I would venture, are able to
    devote some measure of subjective analysis to
    their vehicle choice -- i.e., personal taste
    and preferences. How much just depends on who
    you are and how much you can afford to spend.

So we all have our reasons for buying the
    vehicles we own. I have mine, and my reasons
    led me to buy a QX4 over the Pathfinder LE. Sure,
    I spent about $4,000 more than I would have spent
    on a fully-loaded LE, but you know what? I DON'T
    CARE! I have the SUV I want, I am absolutely
    delighted with it, and to hell with anybody who
    wants to rain on that parade.

[RANT OFF]
    Touchy, aren't we? Hey, if you can justify the QX4 in your mind and enjoy it, that's all that counts. Right?

Like I said, different strokes for different folks.
  • johnwayne25johnwayne25 Member Posts: 2
    How do you figure a GS300 is the same as a camry? Maybe an RX300/ES300 is what you meant?
    Right you are. The GS is different enough because it is rear wheel drive instead of front wheel. And it has the 3.0L I6 instead of the V6.

Thanks for the correction.
  • praxis1praxis1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a Titanium '01, just love it.. solid inside and out. My wife however hates those running boards as they are basically useless and wants me to remove them . This can be done but will spoil the flow from the fender flares....would appreciate any suggestions.

tks
    Just bought Silver Sage and Tuscan Beige QX4s. Originally cut a deal with a dealer in Greenwich, but they turned out to be RUDE beyond belief and the young salesperson inhis 20s doidn't respect the fact that he just got a 2-car deal handed to him on the perverbial silver tray.

The sales person flung my credit card on the desk, after he put it though the machine to get my down payment. For a dealership in Greenwich which caters to the super wealthy, they dio not treat me or my brother with any respect.

I then went to Harte Infiniti in Hartford and dealt with a salesman named Adel. He was just great, matched the deal in Greenwich and I actually spoke to the owner of th4e dealer and he said he head the same stuff about New Country in Greenwich.

Anyway, I am happy, paid $35,195 for sport, sunroof, premium pacjkage, pinstripe and interior wood kit, rear deflector.
    Is that 35,195 with or without tax, tags, title?
    THANKS !
  • petem5petem5 Member Posts: 21
    Greetings, all. I test drove the 01 QX4 today and think it might be the right combination of ride, beauty, comfy seats and space for the money (having tested VW Passat wagon, Volvo XC, Suburu Outback VDC, Toyota Highlander and Chevy Trailblazer LTZ). Would appreciate anyone's feedback on prices and dealers in NJ/PA for 4x4 with premium and sport packages. I am not interested in the sunroof -- must it be ordered without one? You all seem happy with your QX4s. Thanks!
    The price excluded tax, title and tags, but included the destination fee. That was the price for a 2-car deal. I am going down on Wednesday morning to see them install the wood kit and stripe the car. For those of you 2001 buyers who haven't seen the wood kit installed for the center dash it looks abnsoluetly GREAT ... and the 700-800 fee is VERY NEGOTIABLE. ON a two-car deal, my brother and I had it thrown in for free plus the free double pinstripe. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!
    Did you ever go to Pepe Infiniti in White Plains? If so, why did you wind up in Hartford. That seems like a hike.
    Thanks, metmdx