Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• You are awesome! Thank you for the detailed info and the link to accessories. You have been a termendous help.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    Looks like two of the three people reviewing the LR2 agree that it looks a lot like the Escape. I guess I wasn't seeing things.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,016
    Thanks for the link. That's one of the dealers close to me. I checked their page recently and they didn't have any info. They even have 3 in stock now. Cool.
  • presspress Posts: 17
    Thanks for the link to the accessories site. One item I was looking for was the raised roof rack. Many of the rooftop accessories require the roof rack, but it was not listed as an accessory. As I tend to always be hauling big items, that is a mandatory accessory for me. Anyone know where to find it and what is the cost.

Press
    I never believe in paying MSRP for any car. For those of you who have purchased LR2's, what type of discount have you negotiated. There is more than 3k between MSRP and Invoice, so who is keeping the majority of that, you or the dealer? Curious

Press
  • I haven't purchased yet, but I've been pricing the LR2 around town (Northern VA / DC area).

INVOICE:
    Vehicle
    +Cold Climate Package
    +Tech Package
    +Destination Charge ($715)

= $35463

There was a "processing fee" of $399, but I told the dealer it was a deal breaker and he said they can remove it. The lowest quote so far that I got was $37200 OTD, which includes tax and tags. I was also told by the dealer that the price should go down as the novelty wears off.
    that's a good bit off the MSRP for that of $38,900 +715.

Was this Rosenthal in Tysons?
  • macr32macr32 Posts: 12
    I've always paid Dealers Invoice For all the cars I've purchased.

With the LR2 I paid MSRP (39,950 plus some fee's), but I traded in two car which they gave me $40,000.00 for, so I saved $3,500 in taxes. I owned very little in the traded-ins so I just financed $13,000.00 (plus interest) on the LR2, monthly payments $250.00.

3 weeks of ownership and this car feels great. for a heavy little pig (as someone mention earlier) it has very good acceleration from a stop and the engine handles the added weight very well.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    that most Land Rover dealers are fairly small and don't do much volume. This is not a Toyota or Honda store and it is highly unlikely you will pay Invoice.

Also keep in mind this is a brand new vehicle and discounts will not be all that much. Invoice is just not a term that gets thrown around much at Land Rover dealers. None of our LR2s are going out any where near invoice. We are selling them right around MSRP to 500 dollars off.
  • It was with Land Rover Chantilly, although I was told by Land Rover Rosenthal that they would match or even beat the price.
  • I mentioned the Ford X-plan to the sales guy and got that price (see my earlier post for exact lease price breakdown). For those of you who don't know, X-plan is program for friends and families of Ford employees, or employees of a Ford Partner company. Each employee gets several PIN numbers to give out to people to purchase a Ford vehicle. If you go to:

www.blueovalforums.com

you will find all kinds of information about the plan. You can even post a PIN request, and hopefully someone will private message you one. These can be used on any Ford Motor Company vehicle (Mazda, LR, Lincoln, etc.) Then you can go to the dealer and say "I have an X-plan PIN...do you accept them?", and depending on the dealer, they should accept, and you will get the vehicle for under MSRP, with no fees (I think I got about $1500 off MSRP). This is one of the few ways I know to save on this truck, or any Ford ride for that matter.

The lease ad previously posted is interesting. If you go to their site, and search the stock number, they have only one with that number, and it is stripped down. Wonder what monthly price they could do on a more loaded-out one?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,524
    That isn't that great of a deal..

The equivalent of $557/mo. with no down payment.. only 10,500 miles/year.. on an MSRP of $35,XXX..

With a short term lease, you can make the payment seem low, by jacking up the down-payment..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

That LandRover dealers are fairly small as an excuse why they won't sell near invoice is not realistic With ownership by Ford, it is all about the top revenue line. So much so, that Ford held back the intro of the LR2 until April 2 (even though there was a relatively large inventory at the factory). They did this b/c Ford knew their Q1 earnings would be abysmal and that a Q1 intro of the LR2 could not turn it around. So Ford decided to hold back sales so they could be recorded in Q2. If you work for an LR dealer, ask the owner and he will tell you that is what happened. Pressure is on LR to sell and get volume, b/c Ford may put them on the block as they did with Aston Martin (sold to mideast investors and former UK operations guys). There is too much competition at the price point where they are trying to sell the LR2. That's why they are selling a maxed out car at a few dollars under 40K. To get that price, they had to cut some corners, no homelink, steel spare, no roofrails, no split glass on tailgate, no integrated NAV and other screens. They know that what others are comparing is what they can get off the MSRP and that will cut the deal. Somewhere closer to Invoice rather than MSRP will spawn more sales.
    Thanks for that info. I haven't had a chance to go to the other dealers in the area. Do you know which of the dealerships service departments' has a good reputation. While the LR2 should be a good improvement over other LandRovers in terms of quality, the performance record is still unknown. So I would be good to know what dealer has the best service. With BMW's, BMW of Sterling has an excellent service department, while VOB has a poor reputation. So I wonder who in the Northern VA/MD/DC area has a good LandRover service department
  • Don't know about the service departments... I've tried researching online, but I'm not really finding anything. I think I'm gonna end up talking to strangers with LR's around town.

I've been emailing with sales guys from Alexandria, Tyson's, and Chantilly, and I've been to two dealerships in person, Alexandria and Rockville. Here's how they did:

EMAIL:
    Alexandria - They were very helpful and prompt when replying to my technical questions. I felt no pressure whatsoever.

Tyson's - Also very helpful and quick to reply. The sales guy put it out in the open that he is on commission, but never pressured me.

Chantilly - Maybe it's because I'm a child of an English teacher, but I have issue with poor grammar and spelling. The sales guy could not spell to save his life. And when I asked him technical questions, his answers didn't make sense... and I know very little about cars. Felt pressured to buy ASAP.

IN PERSON:
    Alexandria - After emailing back and forth, we went for a test drive. The sales guy let us have the truck for 30 minutes... on our own! Never had a solo test drive before!

Rockville - Another pet peeve... when I know more than the sales guy. And like I said, I know squat about cars! The info that I have, I've read from here, the LR website, and others. The sales guy said he worked at Volvo, but when I asked him what kind of vehicle the S80 is, he couldn't tell me!

If you find anything out, let me know!

PS. Anyone who has bought one, don't forget those of us who haven't bitten the bullet. Please list your purchase price, if you don't mind. :blush: Thanks!
  • haagdhaagd Posts: 20
    I ordered a raised roof rack from my dealer. Not sure of the price yet. It should be delivered in a couple of weeks.

The headlights on this vehicle are really great.

I have only had it for 3 days but have been delighted so far. Many positive comments received.
  • eight74eight74 Posts: 6
    Thank for the info. I'm too looking for accessories for my LR2. I definitely will get the mud guards and the side steps.

~t
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    they should accept, and you will get the vehicle for under MSRP,

X-Plan is at the discretion of the dealer for each model. It is not below MSRP. It is invoice plus 4% plus RAG (Regional Advertising) plus freight.

with no fees
    Not true. D&H and ant state title fee are added, as are (Of Course) taxes.
    I meant it is not below invoice
    Have roof rails standard. That is not unusual at all. Even a 95,000 dollar plus Supercharged Range Rover does not have roof rails availabe as either a standard feature or an option from the factory. You have to buy them as an accesory and that has been true since the 1980s.
  • bg54bg54 Posts: 21
    SCARY...HMMM Maybe that is why the Electrical in the LR2 is HAVING PROBLEMS.. ?

Below is a quote from Message 326..

"Pressure is on LR to sell and get volume, b/c Ford may put them on the block as they did with Aston Martin (sold to mideast investors and former UK operations guys). There is too much competition at the price point where they are trying to sell the LR2. That's why they are selling a maxed out car at a few dollars under 40K. To get that price, they had to cut some corners, no homelink, steel spare, no roofrails, no split glass on tailgate, no integrated NAV and other screens. They know that what others are comparing is what they can get off the MSRP and that will cut the deal. Somewhere closer to Invoice rather than MSRP will spawn more sales."

UN-QUOTED
    My question is.."Has it been FORDS Intention to "PUT THEM ON THE BLOCK" for the last 4 years ? Reducing "Quality" of the Rovers, pushing the consumers away to give Ford the "Financial relief" possibly a "Contract" agreement when when they purchased Rover ? It would be interesting to see how the original contract agreement in the "Sale" to Ford was written, to see if there is a "Financial Clause" that allows them after so many years of Financial Hardships with Rover to " Put them on the Block", retiring the Rovers. I would hope someone like BMW would bring back the Rovers, creating a "Whole new Class" of Rovers built with the "Quality and Precission" that BMW puts into each Vehicle. Putting the "EUROPEN QUALITY" built in "EUROPE" BACK... It should NOT compete with the X5 or X3 because they should be in the "True off Road with the "Classic" features of the BMW but "Classic Rover interior with some BMW fluff. I would HOPE BMW would consider purchasing the "Falling Rovers" and give back the "RESPECT" they have earned prior to Fords purchase. Maybe even the "Queen of England herself, would Purchase this Company because they always use "ROVERS", a "ROYAL" tradition..I bet her Majesty would make sure they were Built to her Quality Expectations.

Since 2002,starting with the Freelander,it has been going down Hill.. and in 2006 The only 2 vehicles that were prior Quality SUV'S were at the top of the WORSE SUV'S in 2006, and Freelander came out with only having Problems.

It just looks like maybe it was FORDS PLAN to push the ROVERS out of the market or is is just that it is now being BUILT BY FORD and they have always been known as "Fix Or Repair Daily" vehicles. The Ford Taurus and other vehicles had actually started putting a QUALITY NAME to FORD.. A lot of their products are pretty good,maybe it is now just the "CUTTING CORNERS" because of their financial problems, putting them back in the "Fix or Repair Daily" name. But.. I know the S,SE HSE Freelander owners who put "Faith" in the SUV'S and $$$$$ TO keep them running would love to see the TRUE ROVER QUALITY back. I don't believe that the prior quality name would ever return until a "White Knight" puts the "Majesty Quality" back into ROVER...

B.Gant
    You truly have no idea what you are talking about.

Rover's quality was worse when it was owned by BMW then it is now.

Rover's quality was much, much worse back before BMW owned them because they had no capital to improve the products. BMW provided a fair amount of capital to help rover do some things but mainly just bought rover so that they would not have to develop 4wd and SUV technology on their own. It was much cheaper to buy rover and use their experience to help design the X5 then to develop the X5 by themselves.

Once BMW had all the tech they thought they could use they dumped rover. There was a lot of animosity between Rover and BMW top managment and engineering. Things were done specificly to keep Land Rover vehicle launches/events from over shadowing BMW launches/events.

Specificly when the Linely Special Edition Range Rover was launched the X5 was being launched in London about the same time. BMW had the Linely Launch moved to a smaller less prestigious location so that it would not take attention away from the X5 launch.

Ford has put more money into Rover then BMW ever did. BMW spend about ONE BILLION USD for the initial development of the Range Rover. Ford spend over ONE BILLION USD for the LR3 and factory upgrades at Sollihul. Several hundred million more was spend deveolping the Range Sport and then even more was spend finishing the design of the Range Rover since BMW left it unfinished and then even more money was spent upgrading it for 2006-2007 MYs.

I haven't seen the data for the money spent on the LR2 but I am sure it is also in the hundreds of millions if not a billion dollars once you include the money for refitting Halewood for LR2 production.

Oh and Ford also spent money updating the Defender for 2007 although unfortunately it is still does not meet US emissions or safety. :sick: Eventually the Defender will get a full update and should meet US regulations then but who knows when that will happen.

The Defender was never touched by BMW as Land Rover brought it up to US spec for the 1993 introduction and then BMW let it die when the regulations changed for the 1998 MY.

I have a good question for you. Who designed the Original Freelander? If you want to lay blame on anyone lay blame on them.
    I remember when BMW bought Rover, they put the RIDE in Rover it has now along with the ability to HUG the road. I believe BMW only bought Rover to "GRAB" the technology you mentioned, but it seems that ROVER is NOW all OVER the spectrum when it come to "QUALITY" being built back into it.The Design of the "Freelander" was "FORD".. They were the owners when it was brought to the U.S. Please Correct if this is NOT TRUE.. :)

Bev.
    The Design of the "Freelander" was "FORD"..

The Freelander was originally introduced in Europe in 1997 - long before Ford - the US spec was on the drawing board (hence Rover Car engine) under BMW ownership.
    AAAHHHHH Incorrect as LRguy said.

The Freelander started life as a joint project between HONDA and Rover back before BMW even owned Land Rover. This was back in the early 90s and the Freelander was supposed to be a twin to the CRV. Honda owned a 20% stake in Rover through the mid-90s.

As the project started to move along though Honda decided to use a 4 cylinder engine for the CRV and Rover wanted to use a small V6. The project became less and less about two twin vehicles and more about two vehicles sharing a limited amount of technology. When BMW bought Rover along with Honda's stake in the company in what was essentialy a hostile takeover bid. The Freelander and CRV were seperated before birth and shared almost no technology.

BMW bought Rover in 1994 so they finished the design of the Freelander although I don't know how much they actually had to do with it. The 4 cylinder diesel in the Freelander for Europe was actually a BMW engine. Production of the Freelander started in 1996 and ran into 2006. No Freelanders were brought into the US after the midpoint of 2005 as everyone realized what a problem car it was.
  • haagdhaagd Posts: 20
    Why respond to this guy anymore? Let the past go. The LR2 is hot! Time to get into at least the present if not start thinking about the future.
    Good luck with your LR2. I drove the LR2 at night with the Xenons and in the corners you could really tell the benefit of adaptive Xenons. When you learn the price of the raised roof rack, please let me know.
    Thanks for the info on the dealers. I noticed that LandRover moved from the Rockville site. Did someone take it over or did they move to a new site.
    Knowing how much Ford dumped into ROVER.. Do you think it might of nip away at the Rovers to enhance sales with Ford Products? Ford Escape was one of the most popular Suv's .. Below is a insert from a 2002 Add. To much competition in this market. It is like robbing from the rich to give to the poor. A conflict of interest is what I see.. A "White Night" with only the "Rover" interest at heart is what is needed.. COMPETITION

2002 Ford Escape
    More Photos

MSRP:
    $18,670 - 25,880

Invoice:
    $17,404 - 23,965

Class:
    Compact Sport-utility Vehicle

CG Award: (What's This?)
    2002 Ford Escape
    Expert Rating Summary
    Category XLT Sport Rating (See All