Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Oy.

I am watching this board because I really am hoping this will be a reliable vehicle. I may trade my Navigator for an LR2 if the LR seems to be a reliable, quality vehicle. SO far, there seem to be some issues with it that are discouraging me. I will keep an open mind and keep watching though. Wont be trading until next year.

Just to head off at the pass - yeah, the Nav has bad freq of repair record. But mine, knock wood, has been absolutely perfect. Zero issues. I'd never sell it if I could only look at the mpg computer display and not start hyperventilating! :surprise:
  • gregw63gregw63 Member Posts: 5
    sounds too easy !

I'll give it a try

Thanks !
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    It does doesn't it?

The LR3s and Range Rover Sports are harder to set but the LR2 is easy.
  • ronxlr2ronxlr2 Member Posts: 46
    just an update for my no-sound problem after the "infotainment" module was reloaded... problem NOT fixed, maybe even worse... this morning when I started my car, no sound at all. in the past, i can always fix this by turning off the car, taking the key out, putting the key back in, and starting the car again. not this time... i repeated this process (stop, key out, key in, start) about 8 times... i even tried turning the radio off before i turned the car off since that has been mentioned as a workaround that "always" works. not even that method worked for me this morning... i ended up driving to work in silence.

i called the dealership and wasn't able to get an appointment until Monday... luckily, when i went for lunch just now, i magically had sound again. Monday will be the 3rd time taking my LR2 in for this problem... I sure hope they figure it out this time. NC Lemon Law says they have 4 chances to fix it... if they don't fix it Monday, they have 1 more chance and then they can buy it back from me. Hopefully it won't come to that, but I'm not willing to live with a vehicle whose sound system is this unreliable.
  • ericonlineericonline Member Posts: 21
    I test drove an LR2 recently, and had a difficult time adjusting the seat to a comfortable position. Turns out the driver seat is 6 way adjustable. The front portion does not go up and down. But you can raise the rear of the seat to give you that awesome feeling of being ejected right out of the driver seat. I found this a bit annoying since all the other Land Rovers have 8-way adjustable seats. Does anyone know if Land Rover might upgrade these seats to the industry standard 8 way power seats?
    Next month LR2s will have 8 way adjustable seats for the driver but I don't remember what the passenger gets.

It is one of the upgrades to the HSE model LR2s.
    just in case anyone is following my "no sound" dilemma... ;)

dropped my LR2 off this morning... luckily (i guess), when i started my car this morning to drive over to the dealership, the "no sound" problem happened... alright, i can finally take it over to them while the problem is happening so they can't tell me there's nothing wrong.

They called me a little while ago at work and told me they ran diagnostics and an amplifier fault showed up. They said amplifiers were on order and should be here tomorrow. He said they'd try replacing the amplifier and if that didn't work, they might have to wait for another software version to come out or something... I'm going to see how it goes when I pick up my LR2 tomorrow with the new amplifier.

If the amplifier really is to blame in this case, I'm very surprised there hasn't been an amplifier recall yet since I've heard numerous folks having this very same problem. If the new amplifier doesn't fix it, they will be one step closer to a very costly legal incentive to start recognizing that this is a big problem and deserves their attention.

i have to say, though, that the sound system in this vehicle is by far the best sounding system, stock or aftermarket, I have EVER had in a vehicle... but it doesn't do me much good when it doesn't work at all.

Rob
  • russnsearussnsea Member Posts: 3
    Anybody know when the HSE is going to be out? I am trying to wait to purchase until they arrive however, don't want to wait to much longer. Any information would be great. Upgrades, color ect.

Thanks
    Should arrive the end of this Month although I wouldn't be surprised if they drag into November.

No word on prices yet.
  • roveronroveron Member Posts: 1
    HSE preliminary prices: MSRP $36,150 base, includes delivery charge. (Body colored bibs and side sills, rear spoiler ... 19" wheels and tires, 8-way drivers, 6-way passengers seat.) No increase to additional optional packages. Added bluetooth phone integration and sirius radio package if you do not want the Nav package. These are still included with the Nav.
  • bg54bg54 Member Posts: 21
    Unfornuately for yourself, the Dealers nor Land Rover will admit to problems as you are beginning to find out. I had been a owner of the Freelander x 2 and both had engine problms.. I would just keep documentation and supply it to the Attorney Generals office in case you are having to take future steps resolving problems. Good Luck.. X Land Rover owner
  • flroverflrover Member Posts: 1
    I took my LR2 in for the no sound problem too. I told them about the software upgrade for the problem. They also said the problem was a bad amplifier and are in the midst of replacing that. Also, my sunroof stopped working...apparently...a bad motor. I've hardly used the sunroof at all and can't figure out how the motor went bad. I only have 2500 miles on my LR2.
    Well, it's only been a couple days since they replaced the amplifier so it's hard to tell whether that solved the problem or not, but so far so good.

I haven't run into the sunroof issue (yet) and I use it all the time, so hopefully that won't be an issue... let me know how the amplifier replacement works out for you.

Rob
  • roundstoneroundstone Member Posts: 6
    Have any one notice that rear tires wearing out from inside at 5,000 miles? Hope this is not the same problem as LR3. :confuse:
    quick update.... replacing the amplifier did NOT fix the problem. I called my dealership to let them know that their 3rd attempt to fix the problem was unsuccessful. My service manager told me that the only other thing to do would be to wait for another software update to come out and see if that fixes it... I told him that was not acceptable. He said he'd call his regional service number about it and call me back, and recommended that I call the LR 800 number and let them know what was going on... so I did that. So I'm expecting a call back from Land Rover within 2 business days with a solution... I really hope they figure this out, because other than this radio problem, I really love my LR2... but unless they get this very important issue straightened out, they're getting closer and closer to buying it back from me.

Rob
  • italylr2italylr2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how much the weight limit is for either the OEM or the Thule aftermarket kit? I have finally found the OEM rails and the crossbars online . But I can't find out what the weight limit is. I'm also wondering about the Thule kit. I would imagine it is cheaper than the OEM $400 rails and OEM $270 dollar crossbars.
  • brownbag72brownbag72 Member Posts: 6
    The weight limit for the Thule system is 60 kg. I bought a set from a German website for about $190 or 130 Euro's. You can also find them on the link in message # 711 in this forum from a British website for about 90 pounds or $185 without shipping. Both prices include the crossbars, the feet, and the adaptor kits to fit in the door jams. Thule and Yakima both say that they don't have a rack system for the LR2 yet. All you have to do is go to the European websites and look up the racks using the Freelander 2, which is the European equivilant of the LR2.
  • misswhomisswho Member Posts: 19
    Just an FYI for anyone still dealing with Bluetooth issues...I just got an email from Land Rover yesterday and they have released an updated list of phones for the LR2. The iPhone is on it, and is supposedly fully functional. Yay!

Updated List PDF
    Just found this great review on from a Canadian website on the LR2.

Good comparison review.

LR2 road test
  • 08lr308lr3 Member Posts: 76
    nice read. i had been thinking of the Touareg as my next vehicle, but after having one as a rental, I still prefer my LR2 overall.
  • boomerdawgboomerdawg Member Posts: 3
    FYI, Went to test drive a 2008 LR2 today, I wanted a loaded model with a black leather interior and a stornaway grey exterior. I was informed that there were no SE's available in that combo and that a HSE was available and would be delivered to the dealer in several weeks. After prying more info from the dealer, it turns out that the SE has been discontinued and replaced with the HSE model. I was given a bid sheet that clearly stated HSE, the base price is $36,150. Not completely sure of the differences, however I do have a brochure for the HSE (he stated that I was the first to find out about the change), and the dealer went over them with me (don't remember off the top of my head). The point is, if you want a SE, I would bet there very may well be some incentives (this was indicated to me by the dealer)to move the discontinued SE in the very near future, it might be worth while waiting if you want the best price if you are willing to take what's available. The dealer indicated that the HSE was what Land Rover intended to roll out initially, but some component held things up, and the SE was sent out to get things moving. Just thought it was interesting news...
  • tredferntredfern Member Posts: 20
    Some kind of mistake on this review??
    Comparison test, Bottom of Page 2 $47.075 price for LR2??
    Sounds like LR3 price? so, which did they test??
    Who knows, definitely some kind of mistake...
    Canadian prices.
    What are differences in SE & HSE?
    Any A/C vents in back? Sirius standard?
    Where can you look up options on HSE? Still $3000+ tech pack?
    Lot more expensive than SE?
    Will they have the 4.9%interest?
    I guess only the SE will have the $3000 mktg. support for awhile anyway, nothing when the HSE first comes out?
    Thank you.
    I haven't seen a HSE yet so not sure all that they will have. Land Rover has a tendency to surprise us with some unadvertised/unannounced features.

All options are the same price but the base price is about 1,300 dollars more. No marketing support on the HSE when it comes out and probably won't get any till the summer/fall of 2008.
  • vinnieg1vinnieg1 Member Posts: 53
    If you go to the Land Rover site you can now build an HSE and compare the two.
    Went to the LR site. There is no information describing exactly what you get for your $1450 extra for the HSE. All I can glean is that you get a few 'H's, a teeny spoiler atop the lift gate and bright metal-look door handles instead of black.

Oh, wait, you also get 8-way driver and 6-way passenger seats, 19" wheels and a 'cubby box with lid'.

Oh and the beautiful Tambora Flame color that the LR2 is so often shown in? NOT available on the HSE. Replaced by powder blue.
    Body colored bumbers and side sills.
    It also receives a new automatic transmission, namely Land Rover's CommandShift which can also be used for manual sequential shifting. Additionally the LR2 HSE has a sport mode for 'more responsive performance'.
    the SE has the auto command shift as standard, as well as sport mode.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    Not a new tranny. The drive train is the same. Just fluff stuff and different option choices.
    "Discontinued SE"
    What will that do to the resale value?
    Are they just adding HSE, no more SE not even for 2009, I guess no one really knows if they will even have LR2's in 2009 model?
    Thought I wanted the SE, but concerned about quite a few things...resale value, reliability (I know there are always lemons in every make, but sounds like a lot of the same problems here) I live a long way from any dealer....

trying to find info. on HSE ,thought someone might want to read this:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/08/lr2-hse.html
    "Ch-Ch-Changes: 2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE"
    "The LR2 hasn’t set the world on fire in the sales department yet;....."
    "To add variety — and hopefully augment sales — Land Rover has come up with the Land Rover HSE trim level."
    You're making one of the biggest mistakes in auto-shopping. You're taking the salesman's word for it. Even worse, you're taking it as second hand info on this web site.

Go to the Land Rover site yourself and you'll find the SE has not been discontinued. LR has just found another way to make a bunch of money for no real value. Paint stuff and add a spoiler and the adjustments on the seats that should've been there to begin with and voila - that'll be $1450 please. OH, and BTW, those 19" wheels and tires that come on the HSE? - don't get em if you're ever gonna need snow chains ans the chains wont fit. To accomodate those folks, LR will happily give you 18" tires and wheels on your HSE. At no extra charge!! (Course, you already paid extra for the 19"s but why quibble about the small stuff eh?

Reliability still an open issue and I'm watching it as well. Vehicle itself seems to be quite a competitor.
    The SE is discontinued and no longer in production. I can't order SE LR2s anymore and haven't been able to for quite a while.
  • balticbkuelr2balticbkuelr2 Member Posts: 5
    Never Blogged Before.....so here it goes.

Picking Up LR2 on Halloween....and not many left. Live in NY Metro area and it was hard to locate a blue with just a cold package. Baltic blue is a beautiful color, a rich dark blue with beige leather. wanted two front windows tinted but LR charges $295 for it. Going to go to stereo and tint shop and get it done for much cheaper. Inventory is low around here. Lots of Tambora Flame and Red around. Finding a simple black or blue without all the bells and whistles is a little task. Dealerships around here trying to move inventory for the new LR2's. So they are not ordering anymore until 08 comes around and stocks the 09's

Trading a Grand cherokee for an LR2. Lets see how it goes
    So then the LR site is wrong? It lets me build an SE or an HSE and shows prices, colors and options for each.
    No SE means no more Tambora Flame which was my color of choice.
  • u2fan1967u2fan1967 Member Posts: 19
    Hey Baltic,
    Contgrats! You won't regret it, I'm sure you will love your new Rover. I'm tellin ya, it blows away the Jeep GC. I have owned 3 jeep grand Cherokees (93,00,05) and the LR2 blows them away. I traded in the 05 after just 1 month and took the loss cause it was such a piece of junk. Up here in New England inventory is still ok for the LR2, with mostly fully loaded ones.

Enjoy your new toy.
    They still have them. In NY Metro area they had 2 Tambora 2008 models. One is still in the showroom.
    Thanks for the regards. I also owned the 05 Grand Cherokee. It was my second and it was so sad to see the quality diminishing with each later model year. We had an ice storm down here in late march and my fan froze and blew out the motor on the grand cherokee and i had to fight with the dealer to pay. Speaking of loss on a lease i traded the Grand Cherokee in 5 months earlier to get the LR2.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    You can still build them on the web site because dealers still have them in inventory and for sale. But SEs can no longer be ordered by the dealers.
    I see what we have here is a failure to communicate.

There are still LR2 SEs and Tambora Flame LR2s on the ground but I can't order anymore.

I think the Last Tambora Flame LR2s had to be ordered in June and the last LR2 SEs in July or august. The first HSE LR2s won't be on the ground till November.
    wow. my lr dealer charged 75 USD to tint my windows.

and with LR killing the SE trim only after one year, its going to KILL our resale. AND this is deterring me from looking at the LR3 to replace the LR2 in 2 years.. Audi, here I come.
    "I see what we have here is a failure to communicate."

OK, boss. SO only HSE going forward? SE dropped right at start of 2008? Kinda strange doncha think? Is this the typical LR way? Also, Tambora Flame is the color most associated with the vehicle. WHY would they drop it?
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    In the US LR only wants a premium image. In Europe you can get a pretty stripped down LR2. In the US you can only find fully loaded ones. The LR3 V6 was dropped as well. Smart strategy. They know their market niche and they are further going for it. Good for them.

Tambora Flame was only a limited color. It was announced as such from the very beginning. It's not so much that they dropped it, but it was made only in limited quantity for a limited period to make it more unique and desirable. Again, good for them.

I bet British Rover and lrguy44 can provide a more authoritative answer.
    authoritative answer we await. :shades:
  • boomerdawgboomerdawg Member Posts: 3
    All I know is what the dealer told me when I buzzed him for info. Don't know why he would have any reason to not tell me the truth, as I made it perfectly clear what I wanted and when I wanted it.
  • kqxikqxi Member Posts: 1
    New to this board. Have been reading comments in these threads because we test drove an LR2 and really liked it. I have some concerns about reliability and quirky problems, but really liked the vehicle.

Question: the LR2 produces a loud and annoying beep when shifting into reverse....even when shifting past reverse to go straight to drive. Do they all do this and is there a way to override this so-called safety alert?
    That is letting you know that the Rear Park Distance Control feature is activated and no you cannot override it as far as I know.
  • ajmartonajmarton Member Posts: 2
    I actually like the beep. The side view mirrors also tilt down. I just leased the LR2 with the light / tech package and turned in my 2005 ML350 a couple of months ahead of time. The LR2 is remarkably more fun to drive than the ML350 (and I have had 2).
  • ajmartonajmarton Member Posts: 2
    The HSE is just a cosmetic package. Be happy that you can get a great deal on the SE. That's what convinced me to pull the trigger. I got my LR2 SE for $5500 under invoice! I doubt you will see aggressive deals on the the HSE for a while.