Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• lr2chicagoguylr2chicagoguy Member Posts: 1
    My one-touch control also stopped working. I think this was due to the fact that when I opened the sunroof a few weeks ago, the rubber strip in the front became unglued and actually flapped around a bit. When I went to close the sunroof, the roof couldn't completely close, and therefore the motor became out of sync. The dealer had to order a new motor for my sunroof, and is installing it tomorrow. Hopefully this will be a quick fix!
  • trburtontrburton Member Posts: 22
    Now you are happy. I once was also, with my Freelander. Milage will accumulate, and your happiness will dissipate. See the Freelander posts to see your future. My Freelander cost me $1.00 a mile to operate for 55000 miles. Oh, you can join the class action suits early if you wish.
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Welcome back. We thought you had gone away.

I hardly think the problems mentioned so far, while serious, are a sign of things to come. Most of the problems seem to be fixed in recent LR2s.

Let it go please.
  • fanroverfanrover Member Posts: 5
    hey all,
    Does anybody know about the crash test ratings on LR2. I am pretty sure there is nothing on us roads. I don't mind for europian tests too, if anyone finds a link could you please post it.
    thanks
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    We were hoping - actually, here the LR2s have been very reliable. One sunroof.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Check out this list

Until the Tiguan Came out the LR2/Freelander 2 was the only Small SUV to score five stars on that test.

The LR2 still scored more over all points then the Tiguan.

Only one sunroof problem here as well and one very minor oil leak.
  • midwestmike1midwestmike1 Member Posts: 5
    My insurance went up 169.00 every six months traded in a 04 lexus rx330 that I hated. I love the LR2 compared to the lexus so it is worth it to me. I was shocked though to see how much it went up.
    I have been selling LRs for over 6 years nd have never lost a deal due to insurance costs
  • vinnieg1vinnieg1 Member Posts: 53
    I traded in an 07 Volco S 60 and my insurance went down . 400 every 6 months through Allstate.
  • ronxlr2ronxlr2 Member Posts: 46
    well, for those of you that have been keeping up with the LR2 radio/sound problem, LR apparently doesn't have a fix for it yet... they'll be receiving a letter from my lawyer in the next couple days with a Lemon claim. Maybe then they'll start taking it seriously.. seems like LR is focusing on moving forward to their HSE and probably their '08 line of their upper end vehicles and putting SE complaints on the back burner... there's a lot of things i love about my LR2, but it's not a good sign when it takes them 8 months to recognize a problem many people have been complaining about since day 1 and a month later, they still don't have a fix for it. if they don't get their act together very soon, they'll be buying back my LR2 and I'll be heading back to the BMW dealership!

Rob
    That surptrizes me. My dealer did a software download and the problem never returned. I think you need another dealer.
  • muellerfilmmuellerfilm Member Posts: 10
    Rob
    You need to find a new dealer I had the same trouble as you with the radio and after the software download it was fixed. Instead of wasting your time with attorneys and lemon laws you should be concentrating your time on getting your LR2 fixed. Why don’t you try this find a new dealer and tell him the trouble with your radio and tell them to reinstall the software for the radio. If after that you continue to have trouble I would say your radio needs to be replaced because many have done the software update and had the problem fixed. Your trouble might or might not be due to dealer error. If there is no other dealer close to you have the one you been taking it to replace your radio.
    This of course means nothing if you are using the radio trouble to get rid of your LR2 so you can buy a BMW. I own a lot of cars and have had many Land Rovers , BMW’s, Audi ‘s, Porsche’s and Aston Martin’s and no matter what brand you go to you will have problems. Right after I got my LR2 my sunroof went bad. They replaced the unit and all is good. You need to be tuff with your dealer and tell them to fix it or replace it. But sounds to like me you want to get rid of your LR2 for other reasons and that is too bad because it is a great vehicle that amazes me every time I drive it. I just love the quick ratio steering and how it drives like a sports car and not a SUV. If you move over to a X3 or X5 you will not get that type of driving experience while they are good vehicles you will downgrading to a soft roader. I also like the exclusiveness with the LR2 you do not see them all the time. It is like when I drive my DB9 you just do not see them all the time. Can’t say that for BMW. But don’t get me wrong I love my BMW’s and I own two, a Z4M and a very collectable Z8. But when it comes to SUV’s Land Rover is hard to beat.
    trust me, i've been extremely patient with my dealer... i've taken my laptop in every single time and even bookmarked every post where people were telling how their dealers fixed the problem so i could help them diagnose (and fix) the problem with mine. the first couple times, they looked at me like i was crazy and told me they couldn't go by what people were saying on an online forum and said that if there was a legitimate problem, LR would know about it... yet every time they called, they never seemed to get any answers... i've even spoken to the folks at LR's customer support 800 number a few times and they finally admitted recently that there was an existing problem in some radios that they did not have a fix for yet and that they would call me as soon as their engineers came up with a fix for it.

it really amazes me that some dealers have been able to fix this same problem for some people, yet LR's official customer support line tells me that there is no fix for it yet.

and it's not that i'm trying to unload my LR2 at all... if they can fix the sound problem in my LR2, i'll be very happy... i had the opportunity to buy a loaded X3 for about $10k off sticker price and still chose the LR2 for many of the reasons you mentioned. i know that any car will have its problems, but the difference here is that they haven't been able to fix this one for 6 months and i'm not willing to live with it when paying the premium for a luxury SUV.

I honestly hope LR gets their sh1t together and fixes this problem... all i meant in my earlier post was that i know the quality of the product and especially the service at BMW, and if I have to, i know where i can get a quality product i can count on.... but hopefully LR will come through and prove me wrong ;)

Rob
  • haagdhaagd Member Posts: 20
    I have had my LR2 for 7 mos and have 20,000 miles on it. No problems and have really enjoyed it. Great service from my dealer as well. I am becoming an LR fan. :)
  • mr_bubblemr_bubble Member Posts: 12
    I can't find a web site that provides dealer invoice pricing (base + options) for the new 2008 LR2 HSE. Can anyone refer me to a site that contains the latest pricing?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like that model is too new to show up on Edmunds' TMV radar yet (first delivered 11/1/07 I guess?).

Try the Land Rover LR2 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences discussion - maybe someone there has shared some numbers.
  • manupmanup Member Posts: 24
    Invoice pricing for the HSE model will be on the Edmunds site 12/06/2007. (See posting on Land Rover LR2 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks!
  • rob34rob34 Member Posts: 58
    "I just love the quick ratio steering and how it drives like a sports car and not a SUV. If you move over to a X3 or X5 you will not get that type of driving experience while they are good vehicles you will downgrading to a soft roader."

Are you serious? The LR2 is a great car and surpasses BMW X3's in some ways, maybe a lot of ways. If you want an SUV type vehicle that drives like a sports car, there is no way an LR2 comes close to an X3. It's much slower, doesn't corner as well, and doesn't have that connection to the road you experience with a BMW.

Your statement just isn't accurate.
  • yed19yed19 Member Posts: 15
    I agree with your statement... A new (2007) X3 definately drives more like a sports car... I guess there were a bunch of changes in recent years to the X3 to make it more "car-like". So perhaps the person was referring to an older X3.

I didn't get the X3 because of issues with the hesitation in the automatic transmission and the poor navigation system (no touchscreen)
  • muellerfilmmuellerfilm Member Posts: 10
    My statement is not accurate well, just who are you to judge. Do you even own a LR2, well if you do let me give you some advice? First off set the cold air pressure at least 40psi and then see how the LR2 handles. Sure the suspension is little softer on the LR2 but a good driver can toss the LR2 in the turns with balance and grace like no other big truck around. You just need to learn how to drive it. And the steering on the LR2 is a very quick ratio much quicker than the BMW and this only helps for a wonderful driving experience. The fast ratio steering on LR2 is there for a better off road experience but it really does wonders for the on road experience. The X3 is bland in comparison and the LR2 has a wonderful connection to the road. As far as getting from 0-60 it is true the x3 is faster but that is only half of the story. The LR2 inline six is dialed in with a lot torque at low RPM and if push the pedal down you can really make use of that power when pulling away from a stop light or using the power when pulling out of a turn.
    As retired professional race car driver I like to drive and I am not biased to any make or model. In fact I own a few BMW’s myself and think they are fine automobiles but as far as the X3 is compared to the LR2 in a sports car way the LR2 is very close if not better than the X3. It all gets back to learning how to drive your vehicle correctly to provide a rewarding driving experience. I had a late model X3 for a short time and found it to be good handling SUV when driven at moderate driving limits but when pushed hard I found its handling unpredictable at times and this led me to sell it. This is not uncommon for me as most folks don’t push their cars as hard as I do. But as an owner of many vehicles sometimes you can find a real gem and the LR2 is it. I have pushed my LR2 very hard in the turns and it can be a very rewarding truck when driven at 9/10s.
    I am only reporting here my true to life experiences with the LR2 and I think my statements are very accurate.
  • roveretteroverette Member Posts: 6
    I have been very happy with my LR2. I've been averaging 22 mpg, it has a great ride, it's very comfortable and has all of the options that I want!

:)
  • paulwleepaulwlee Member Posts: 2
    This is a reply to a two week old post, but I have two words for you: Rain X.
    Once you apply it you don't even need the front wiper unless you are in very heavy rain. ;)
  • yed19yed19 Member Posts: 15
    Is 'x' really a word, per say?

Its more like a word and a letter.

:)
  • fanroverfanrover Member Posts: 5
    Just want to say i finished an eventful journey from Austin to New orleans aand back, thats about 525 miles one way. I did this last weekend and never felt better. The ride was so comfortable no back aches, no head aches or no car trouble. I have been reading a few complains about starting and sunroofs. I would say its just bad luck sometimes, cuz i don't think if there is manufacturer who can gurantee every car that comes out of this assembly. But i do agree that the dealers should really take the responsibility and take care of their customers. Well i went only once to my dealer to get some hardwater stains removed, he treated me good and did not complain much and took care of the job. He even threw a new pair of wipers on the car. I think the relationship with dealer really matters. If your not comfortable with your sales person, or the dealer switch them. You will have to deal with guy until you own the car so better, find someone friendly and understanding. Those are my thoughts. What do yo'll think?
    I agree completely. About 50% of my biz is repeat or referral if that tells you how important a relationship is. You will find out that LRs get in your blood. I have several families who own 2 or 3 LRs. Good luck and enjoy your experience.
  • 08lr308lr3 Member Posts: 76
    anyone have any followup details on the exhaust and how it has the copper burn look to it? LR never follow up from a shop visit 2 weeks ago - they where throwing it off saying it was normal.

thanks for any input.
    For lrguy44 or any other forum members out there. Can you advise if there is any discernable difference in handling, noise, ride, etc. between the 18" and 19" wheels and tires that are on the SE and HSE respectively
    I feel absolutely no discernible difference
    Thanks, lrguy44.
  • vfxdogsvfxdogs Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an SE a few days ago and I am really impressed. I could not see the need to buy the HSE with such minimal differences. There is real bargaining power on the SE's now that is is the end of the year and the HSE's out. I was able to get a fully loaded (all 3 packages) SE for $34,700 because land rover is offering $3000 cash back on SE's now. I am very happy with the SE (who cares about the rear wiper? BTW my 2003 Tahoe has a two speed rear wiper which I never use)

The one issue I do have is that one (of the two) power outlets in the center console is defective right out of the box. I will have to take it in to get replaced. I will report back to see how the dealer handles it.
    this actually made me think to mention something i've noticed about the 2 power outlets that i've wondered if anyone else has noticed... my front outlet is a switched power supply (i.e. on when the car is on and off when it's not), whereas my rear outlet is always on... i'm assuming this is by design, but was wondering if maybe it's different on others' LR2s
  • vfxdogsvfxdogs Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for that note. I will have to check out the outlet today and I'll report back. I tried hooking up my ipod charger and did not get any power with the front outlet so it is probably switched. This seems pretty dumb to me, since the forward outlet is more convenient for phones and chargers and people like to charge their phones when the car is off. I have never owned a car with a switched outlet before. But at least they give you two options.
    I actually don't mind it set up this way.... I almost always keep my phone in the holder just behind the drink holders, so the location of the always-on outlet is perfect for me. I use the front one sometimes for my ipod, which I turn off when I'm not in the car, so it works fine for that one to be switched...

before I hard-wired my radar detector, it worked out very well that the front one was switched since it was the closest to where you would mount a detector. However, even the front outlet is located way too far away from the windshield to be an acceptable power source for a radar detector, IMHO... i now have my V1 mounted just to the left of my rearview mirror, and hard-wired to a switched power wire in the overhead light fixture.... looks very clean and you can't tell i even have a radar detector from outside the car! ;)

Rob
    My Jeep is that way as well. One always on and one just when car is on.
    Just had an ice storm with about half inch of ice last week and snow storm this week with about 4 inches. The car handled great and the heater in the front windshield was awesome. No chunks of ice built up on wiper blades. I had no issues getting around at all and even on unplowed roads! I love this car! I also like the way the doors cover the entry of the car so you don't get dirty getting in and out when wearing long coats. More snow coming tomorrow, yea!
  • 47074707 Member Posts: 12
    And you think 4 inches are bad...we had more than 13 inches of snow in Montréal last monday !!!! The LR2 was extremely impressive in the snow. So far after close to 5000 Kms not the shadow of a problem. It is extremely comfortable and you feel very safe in it. The seats are fantastic. For the price, it is an exceptional vehicule even after driving BMW's, high end Volvo's and Jaguar's for the past 15 years. Only three small complaints so far : the sound quality of the FM radio is so-so even if the quality of the CD and Aux ( iPod ) is fantastic, The Bluetooth system takes forever to find your cell phone sometimes and you must remember to ALWAYS come into you car with the cell phone on or the next time you have to stard the finding procedure all over again and I'm only getting about 14mpg in town and a little over 19 mpg on the highway. But the driving is exemplary and the comfort supreme. You also get a lots of looks from other drivers. They all think you're driving a 90,000$ car ! AND I just received an invitation to a 4 hour course in off-road driving at the Château Montebello, all paid by Land-Rover. Just a couple of hours from where I live... GREAT !
  • u2fan1967u2fan1967 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Rob,
    Could you fill me in on how you did that radar connection? did you buy any special wires to clip into the overhead light fixture? I would like to do the same thing.
    Thanks,
    Keith.
  • dbarton7dbarton7 Member Posts: 20
    Hello.

We really like the SE and want to make a deal before year-end.

Here is the deal we were offered on a 2008 SE with cold climate package only (i.e. no NAV and no lighting_

MSRP: 35,400
    Sale Price 33,400
    LEV% 69%
    Lease-end value 24,426
    MF .00134
    Amount Due at signing $1,514.68
    Monthly payment: 484.53

This is a 24 month lease with 10,500 miles per year.

Is this a good deal?

Based on what I have read here they should be able to come down more on the price (ie closer to $30K which I think is invoice).

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to ask your question in Land Rover LR2 Lease Questions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Check out autoweek.com They're featuring a concept from Land Rover called the LRX. Smaller than the LR2. It's quite a looker.
  • jcmanhattanjcmanhattan Member Posts: 7
    I heard one is coming up in Malibu Canyon soon....anyone have details? I havent been able to reach my dealer about it yet.

I just leased an LR2 SE for below invoice - man, they are giving these things away.

I cant wait to take this off-roading. I have been watching LR2/Freelander2 video clips on Youtube and cant wait to get out there
  • jax10jax10 Member Posts: 36
    No one is posting...
    What price is the LR2 HSE going for?

Would the last week of the year be the best time to buy or get a better price in January??

Does it ruin the look when they cut the hole in the back for the trailer hitch??
    Thanks.
    P.S. I will also post on Prices Paid forum.
  • kntemplarskntemplars Member Posts: 1
    Have a question for the collective:

When buying the LR2 the Tech package seemed a bit steep for GPS that you can't program while driving with Bluetooth and a beefer stereo system. So naturally we go a TOM TOM and want to install it without using the power outlet between the seats.

Question: Is there an AUX input near the front dome light, similiar to the BMW and Mercedes?
    The LR2 has been out almost a year now in the U.S. Could LRGUY44, BritishRover or any one else with personal knowledge give their insight/feedback that they have had from customers or having purchased one regarding reliabilty issues? The media seems to give the other Range Rover/Land Rovers a "bad rap" on this subject. I don't see it that way but the perception is that "all of them have poor reliabilty."
    We have all had some gliches. All of mine were taken care of with software updates. I have had my LR 2 since May and love it. Wonder why a real test of the LR2 hasn't been done by a major company like Motor Trend. They all seem to copy each other.
    None of the salespeople, British Rover, etc. are answering, maybe they have just been on vacation?...no one answered my question from 2 weeks ago.

I think the LR2 HSE may not be selling very well?? Although no salespeople would want to say that. Sounds like everyone is going for the discounted SE's.
    I think I am probably going to buy the LR2 HSE, just can't find anything else I really want to buy, but I have quite a few concerns about them...reliability, etc. don't like that key/starter button, just extra trouble, seems a lot of people have had trouble with that, etc....I have been reading & researching LR 2's for several months now.

Was thinking of buying before Jan. 1, but I guess the longer I wait the better the price might be?? Though I am sure no salesperson would say so...
    I Have been on vacation - for us the LR2 is selling well (3 today). It will be the 4th of January when we get our new programs but the betting is no dealer cash on LR2 HSE. The car has been the best LR ever on initial quality.
    Wondering if the lines on the windshield (cc pack) bother anyone??
    Don't really need that in this area of the country, could use every once in a while, hardly ever snows, so I did not want the lines...but the one I am looking at has them, heated seats would be nice some days, but really thought I did not want the lines...just wondering if they bother anyone??

Also, some dealers charge "retailer activity fee" this one is $300, can that be taken off?
    Thanks.
  • ohwell159ohwell159 Member Posts: 11
    I consider myself anal retentive and I thought the lines would drive me crazy. To my disbelief I have gotten use to then and hardly notice them anymore. The only exception would be a sunny day where I have solar glare.