Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Ford Fusion

Comments

• dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    As long as you don't intend on driving heavily in Baltimore or DC, the atrocious subpar Milan urban mpg shouldn't affect you.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Before you get too happy, if you qualified for 11% with Honda, do you think you would qualify for 0% with Mercury? 11% financing from an auto manufactureer is awfully high. Also have to remember the depreciation in the Honda. Shouldn't be much but still an issue. 72 months is a long time to finance a car. I typically do 4 or 5 years to keep the monthly payments down and pay off early.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I see the Frusion now has AWD, I wonder if Honda will add AWD to their upcoming redesign on the Accord. If they do, it will probably ONLY be available with the V6 and EVERY option under the sun.

Odie
    Oide's Carspace
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "The 140 hp Accord of 1992 did have VTEC, and Drive-by-Wire Throttle didn't come to Accords until the 2006 model year. Just a few minor corrections. "

Incorrect. I owned a 2003 Accord and that car had a drive by wire throttle
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Incorrect. I owned a 2003 Accord and that car had a drive by wire throttle

You are responding to a post from Aug 30. We have already established that there was no Vtec engine in an Accord in 92, and that drive-by-wire throttle was available on the Accord EX V6 model only, in 03. Try to stay in the present day please.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That was answered over a month ago; I was referring to the I-4 models, which didn't get DBW until 2006 (I didn't specify that in the post though).
  • brian6751brian6751 Member Posts: 8
    Wow. I had to sign up to post in this thread.

I am the proud owner of both a 07 Fusion SE and an 07 Accord exl. Both 4 cylinders, both black with black leather interior and a power sun roof.

Heres how I see it. The Fusion is fun to drive. The engine is throaty and the chassis is fantasic, best I have ever driven in a midsized sedan. I love it. It feels a lot faster than it is, but first gear wears out its welcome. This car loves the highway. The cabin feels huge and stays out of the way, though the seats are a bit uninviting. The stereo POUNDS!! and the trunk never ends.

The Accord is entry level luxury. The engine is smooth and quiet with a psychic transmission. The cabin is as hush as a recording studio. The interior is stylish without closing in on you and the seats are buttery soft. If the Accord had the Fusions chassis, there would not be ANY competition.

The Fusion is a great car. I drive it. My wife drives the Honda, but it IS out of its league against the Accord. I'm sorry, it is. Fit and finnish really creates the gap here and the Accord is just much more refined.

Instead of getting defensive, think of it as comparing a great bone in pork chop to beef filet. They are both great in their own way but, most people will opt for the filet.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome! Glad to have your perspective on this.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Fusion SE is not an SEL. Are you comparing apples to apples?
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "You are responding to a post from Aug 30. We have already established that there was no Vtec engine in an Accord in 92, and that drive-by-wire throttle was available on the Accord EX V6 model only, in 03. Try to stay in the present day please."

My bad; I didn't look at the date of that post; however I would have expected to see the 'establishment' posts right after that one, which I didn't.

I still stand by my statement that my 2003 Accord LX (4 Cyl) had a drive by wire throttle - I will do some research and provide proof for this. In the meantime, please look at the link below from an Edmunds.com long term test of the 2003 Accord (4 door EX); reviewer Karl clearly mentions drive by wire throttle is standard on all 4 cyl Accords. Link below

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=98548/pageNumber=1

Statement below is taken from the same link

<<Meanwhile, Karl, who had already spent much time behind the wheel of an '03 LX V6 sedan, said his time with our long-term car only reinforced his affinity for the seventh-generation Accord.

"I like this car more than I did before, which is saying a lot because I already felt it was one of the strongest cars in the category. My favorite aspects are the steering (great weighting and responsiveness), the throttle response (all four-cylinder Accords have drive-by-wire throttle), seat comfort (I know Honda really focused on that for this Accord) and overall refinement. Normally, I feel like Toyota has the edge on refinement and Honda has the edge on driver enjoyment, but otherwise the products from these two companies are nearly identical in most areas. It's likely the Camry would still feel more refined than this Accord if I drove them back to back but, barring that, I can't imagine a vehicle feeling more refined than this Accord. Everything from the drivetrain to seat comfort to overall quietness is at a level I formerly associated with pure luxury sedans." >>
    I still stand by my statement that my 2003 Accord LX (4 Cyl) had a drive by wire throttle.

My dad's 2005 EX I-4 has obvious slack in the throttle pedal before hitting the "mechanical" throttle. It is not drive by wire, and the I-4 models weren't until the 2006 Mid-Model Refresh. The V6 models were from the beginning however.
    Yes. Everything I mentioned is on both cars. Neither one is lacking something that would make a difference. The Ford is not an SEL but the engine, transmission, chassis, driving characteristics, and over all fit and finish are the same. The only thing the SEL has over the SE is bigger rims, a leather wrapped stearing wheel, dual zone climate, and a couple of chrome trim peices. Yes these are on the Honda, but are not an influence on my review. If the Ford were an SEL, my opinion would be the same, so I do beleive it is apples to apples.
    You fail to mention the price difference between an Accord EX-L to a Fusion SE? Why? I paid $23,000 for a loaded Fusion SEL V6 with every option available. A Fusion SE that you mention goes for about $20-21,000 in my region. Honda dealerships advertise cars like yours for about $23K, V6 Accord EX-L advertised for over $25K. The SEL does not have dual zone climate control. SEL also has traction control, SE usually does not.
    I guess you can say it is all in what you feel you want to pay. I bought my Fusion from a "Mega dealer". He had both Ford,Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Subaru, VW, Hyundia and I believe Suzuki. The Ford salesperson was so confident about the Fusion he acutally drove it to the Honda lot and parked it side by side to a like model. We went through it with a fine tooth comb. Along with other salespeople. Did the same with the 07 Camry. After looking at the price differences of $2-$4,000. I felt there was not a $2-$4,000 dollar justification in buying the Accord or Camry. Anyhoo.. to each their own.. ;)
    I dont think the SEL has "standard" traction control. Are you sure the SEL does not offer dual zone climate, even with leather seats?

Anyway, no I did not mention the price but that is part of my point. The Accord does cost thousands more but so does the Zypher. I guess I am saying that the Accord competes better against the Zypher.

My point is that the Fusion is out of its leaugue against the Accord. Its beyond opinion.

Listen, I love driving my Fusion. Its the best Ford I have ever owned (its #8 for me). Its an awsome car for the price. Its a great car. Best in this price point bar nun. Its better than the Mazda6, better than the Impala and the Altima, But I think saying its up there with the Accord is pushing it. The Accord and the Camry are a step above. Thats all Im saying.

Did you drive the Accord or the Camry?
  • rickypaulrickypaul Member Posts: 24
    I drove all of the above when looking for my new car. I settled on the Mazda 6. When comparing these cars, you need to look at price point. I was looking for a car around 20k. I drove a 4 cylinder Camry. It was loud and sluggish. I drove a 4 cylinder Accord. It was better but around turns, its chassis is not very stable. I drove a 4 cylinder Fusion. I liked the way it rode and handled better than the Accord or the Camry.
    Saying the fusion is inferior to the Accord or Camry is saying that you believe the hype. I couldn't believe how much I hated those cars.

I bought a Mazda 6s 6 cylinder. Saying its better than the Mazda 6 is purely subjective. The Fusion is softer riding than the Mazda, but the Mazda drives like a sports car which is more to my taste. The Fusion is a great car, it was my second choice, but because of the way that the Fusion is selling, it made the price higher than the 6.

To say tha the Camry and Accord are "a step above" and "beyond opinion" is simply not true when price point is taken into consideration. I got my Mazda 6 6 cylinder for less than I could get a 4 cylinder Accord or Camry. Both of those cars are far inferior to the Mazda 6 in Acceleration and Handling. These assertions are supported by tests in Car and Drive and Consumer Reports. I could only get a 4 cylinder Fusion for the money I spent on my mazda. This is not because the Mazda is not a great car, it is because the automotive press's unconditional love of the Camry and Accord.

Its also because Mazda has taken some risks with the 6 that make it appeal to a minority of people who are looking for a true sports sedan at an affordable price. By the way, the Ford Fusion is a slightly bigger, softer riding mazda 6.
    What does this have to do with the Focus?

What do you mean by the Accord's chassis was "unstable?"

The fact that you got a Mazda V6 for less than even a Fusion I-4 is a great deal!
    I think your putting words in my mouth. I never used the word "inferior". I said the build quality of the Camry and Accord is unarguably better than the Fusion. All your comparisons are of driving experience. I said that I wished the Accord had the Fusions chassis, ie; handling. The Camry and Accord are not built to be performance cars. They are family sedans. The 6 is meant to be a sport sedan so I would hope it would out handle and out accellerate them.

I drove the 6. The Fusion chassis is an updated version of the 6. It is wider and longer. The 4 cylinder engine on the Fusion is also smoother than the one in the 6. It is a different car. It is NOT a less expensive Fusion, but it is also a very nice car.

"To say tha the Camry and Accord are "a step above" and "beyond opinion" is simply not true when price point is taken into consideration."

This does not make any sense. You could say that about the Fusion vs. a Lexus. They have better build quality and that is part of the higher price.

Listen, I already stated that I was in no way bashing the Fusion. I have both a Fusion and an Accord. The Accord is a better quality vehicle, period. But that does'nt mean I dont fully enjoy driving my Fusion or think that it is not a quality product.

Im talking gray, and your hearing black and white.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

The Accord is a better quality vehicle, period.

Im talking gray, and your hearing black and white.

That first statement sounds pretty black and white to me!

Some things may be better on the Accord, but overall I think you'll find that as far as problems reported, including TSBs and recalls, the Fusion is actually doing better than Accord and Camry.
    That is black and white, but what I mean is that the Fusion is far from inferior. It is a great car. Its just not as well built as the Accord, thats all.
    Is that a subjective opinion or are you basing it on number of defects?
    I would say the interior does not match the Accord's based on the materials used, and tactile quality lacking in the Fusion that is apparent in the Accord.

It's subjective, yes, but that's my personal opinion, based on my personal experiences with the two vehicles.
    Which trim level Fusion (S, SE, SEL)? Wood tone or piano black?

I think there is a big difference between the S/SE with wood trim and the SEL w/piano black.

The stupid Ford radio certainly doesn't help. I hope they fix that next year.

I'll have to check out a new Accord and see for myself.
    Yeah, the corporate controls in the Fords are a turn-off to me...

It was a top level Fusion, piano black maybe? (it's been over a year). I just remember the awkward placement of the climate controls, and cheaper looking dials. Also, everything was square (which made it seem dated, although that is just a personal qualm with the design).
    "Did you drive the Accord or the Camry?"

Yep, sure did, drove them 2x as a matter of fact. I felt the Fusion handled better than the Camry. Camry handled the worst out of the three. Accord and Fusion are even as far as handling and road manners are concerned in my book. The Fusion handles like its on rails and is very confident in the twisties.. You mention "same league" Are you saying the Accord is a luxury car? I honestly believe much of it is perception. ;)

I do believe the Fusion SEL V6 comes standard with traction control..
    Why is it ok for everything to be "square" in the Camry then??
    "It's subjective, yes, but that's my personal opinion, based on my personal experiences with the two vehicles."

Purely subjective. The Fusion won the Stratigic Visions quality award for the interior. Like I have said. I parked an 06 Fusion SEL v6 side by side to an Accord EX-L V6. Both optioned the same. The outer body panels there was absolutely no difference in fit/finish of body panels, doors ect.. This coming from 1 Ford salesperson and 2 Honda sales people!. Interior, materials are different. Honda went with a softer material/plastics layout. Ford went with plastics that had more texture. I had a guy that owned Audi's for a good portion of his life call the Fusion interior very European, with some Audi feel!.. The price difference between these two vehicles is thousands of dollars. I felt no need to spend the extra $2,500 for a perceived quality/reliability advantage. If you do, go ahead its your money, not mine.. All I know is after 6 months and over 6,000 miles my Fusion has no squeaks, no rattles and still drives and runs great! Choice is nice.. :shades:
    Never said it was, did I? I haven't driven the new Camry (it wasn't out when i was shopping), so I can't honestly say.
    Interior, materials are different. Honda went with a softer material/plastics layout. Ford went with plastics that had more texture

Yes, a layout and texture combo I much preferred. The harder, more 'textured' plastic reminded me of a much less expensive car... and the squareness reminded me of my parents' 1984 LTD (you should see the square everything in that car!)

The Audi feel may come from the driving experience (which was pleasurable IIRC), but I don't see it in the interior. Choice IS nice. ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Could people who continue to respond to this thread change "Focus" to "Fusion" as I have done here?

And could everyone here remember that this is the Accord vs Fusion discussion and not the Midsized Sedans topic? ;)
    Interior, materials are different. Honda went with a softer material/plastics layout. Ford went with plastics that had more texture

Yes, a layout and texture combo I much preferred. The harder, more 'textured' plastic reminded me of a much less expensive car... and the squareness reminded me of my parents' 1984 LTD (you should see the square everything in that car!)

The Audi feel may come from the driving experience (which was pleasurable IIRC), but I don't see it in the interior. Choice IS nice.
    Feel free to delete my other post (132) that is identical to the one I posted a second ago (134). They are the same post, with different titles to help things.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "I felt no need to spend the extra $2,500 for a perceived quality/reliability advantage. If you do, go ahead its your money, not mine"

You say choice is nice but you're implying anyone who spends the extra money for an Accord is making a foolish one. The Accord is a higher quality engineered car so of course people will pay more for one. Be it the engine, interior, gauges or something trivia like in the way the trunk shuts.

You're two Honda salesmen scenario doesn't mean anything. Like I said before, I sure could point out the differences. You think they're going to say anything to hurt their co-worker's chance of a sale? Try that trick using a brand not sold from that dealer.

Here we have an individual who has both the 07 Accord and 07 Fusion in his household. He's the one who drives the Fusion and has driven many Fords before that. But you sum up his observations to perception.
    Thanks Venus. I'm not sure why people would think I'm being bias here. I really enjoy driving the Fusion. Its the best Ford I have owned. I just think that whoever is saying the Accord is overpriced is not be honest with themselves. If you bought the Fusion, you got a great car, but dont kid yourself by thinking you got a better car than the Accord for less.
    C'mon.. your telling me these 3 salespeople had this planned?? I highly doubt it. Since I am the one that jokeingly made the remark to bring the Fusion to thier Honda dealership and Toyota dealership... The internet salesperson wanted a sale, he could have sold Honda/Toyota or any other car from thier other manuafacturers.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to spend and what is it worth to you. Myself, I didn't see the extra $2,500 in the "Higher quality engineering" as you say it.. in the Honda to make it worth my while. I am perfectly happy with my Fusion SEL V6 all in all. I am very confident it will serve me well. :shades:
    "but dont kid yourself by thinking you got a better car than the Accord for less. "

Never said the Fusion was "better" than the Accord. Just has more value for your $$. Handles just as well if not better. Styling is better I feel. Get out on the net and there are people with over 20,000 miles now on thier Fusions with no issues. Why isn't this in the media? hmmm... :confuse: The Fusion/Milan look like they are turning out to be reliable. Relaiblity is now pretty much a dead issue. The new buzz word now is "refinement"... ;)

Also, never said you were "bias" I kind of find it funny that you would own two vehicles of the same class/size. Why did you buy the Fusion?? and not another Accord?
    "C'mon.. your telling me these 3 salespeople had this planned??"

I don't think it was planned. Just don't see other salesmen from the same dealership bashing a car you're interested in.

"I guess it really comes down to what you want to spend and what is it worth to you. Myself, I didn't see the extra $2,500 in the "Higher quality engineering" as you say it.. in the Honda to make it worth my while."

Finally a reasonable statement. Different values for different people. But what you have repeatedly said is those people who do spend the extra money for an Accord are doing it because of perception and media brainwashing.

"Get out on the net and there are people with over 20,000 miles now on their Fusions with no issues. Why isn't this in the media? hmmm..."

Why is this news?

"Relaiblity is now pretty much a dead issue. The new buzz word now is 'refinement'"

I agree about reliability. Other aspects of quality is something I have always harped on. Just because a car is reliable doesn't doesn't mean it's a high quality car. The Buick Century before it was discontinued was a very reliable car but I hardly think of that car as high in quality. Crude comes more to mind.

"I kind of find it funny that you would own two vehicles of the same class/size. Why did you buy the Fusion?? and not another Accord?"

I fine some of your anecdotal stories funny. I would say he drives a Fusion becuase he likes how it drives and is a fan of Fords.
    Get out on the net and there are people with over 20,000 miles now on thier Fusions with no issues. Why isn't this in the media? hmmm...

I have an 11 year old (next month it will be anyways) Accord with 167,000 miles on it, with only two major repairs in its lifetime (never leaving us stranded), which total a fairly cheap $600 (considering its age that's cheap to me). Why isn't this in the media (since longevity of particularly older Hondas is incredibly good)? When nothing is operating as it shouldn't, there is no news; let something operate outside of its expected function, THEN you have news (like Toyota recalling Scions being in USA Today, Toyota Highlander recalls making the Nightly News with the Big Three Media giants (NBC, ABC, CBS)). There are no stories that sound like "no recalls have been issued today... now over to Jim for sports..."
    "C'mon.. your telling me these 3 salespeople had this planned?? I highly doubt it. Since I am the one that jokeingly made the remark to bring the Fusion to thier Honda dealership and Toyota dealership... The internet salesperson wanted a sale, he could have sold Honda/Toyota or any other car from thier other manuafacturers."

I can give you a possible answer to this. It has to do with how long a car, on average, stays on the lot compared another car. The longer the car stays on the lot, the more it costs the dealership. The Accords and Camrys have had much less average time on the lot than the domestics, therefore, the sales people jump at an opportunity at getting a car that usually spends more time on the lot off faster. They know the Accord will sell faster than the Fusion on average.

As for me not having two Accords, why not two Fusions? They are cheaper and are good cars. Well one reason is that my wife does not want to have the same car as me. Also, her sister has a black Milan so thats out of the question too. Another reason is the Honda dealership gave me much more for the Toyota I traded in than the Ford dealership wanted to. Also, my wife really likes the Accord. Not to mention that there is Ford blood on both sides of our family. We live in Southeast Michigan.
    I would say Scape's Ford Rules Honda Sucks T-shirt had something to do with it.
    They know the Accord will sell faster than the Fusion on average.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Fusions are selling quite well. Do you have any facts to back that up?
    Do you have any facts to back that up?

I'm gonna jump in briefly; I think I recall that Ford cannot produce as many Fusions as Honda can Accords... and Accords are still selling well over 300k units a year (last figure I remember is ~370k Accords for 2005.
    That's true, but what does that have to do with which one is selling more quickly?
    The Fusion has a lower sales cap than Accord (less Fusions made means they may not be able to meet all the demand). That's my only point. It may be moot right now, but it would be impossible for Ford to sell 350k Fusions, because they can't make them.
    The original assertion was that the Accord would sell faster than the Fusion, not that it would sell more units. I was talking about turn-around time - how long the car sits on the lot before it sells. Cars with long turn-around times cost the dealers more in interest and can lead to big incentives. That's not the case with the Fusion.
    Since the Taurus is no longer being made, is Ford simply going to sell less rental cars or make more Fusions to replace the Taurus. While the increased production is good, having loads of Fusions on the rental car market isn't. The Fusion enjoys good resale value, lets keep it that way.
    Not to take away from your argument, but I followed a Black Fusion SE today with the little green "e" Enterprise Rent-a-Car sticker. In Ford's defense, I have only seen two of these so far (Birmingham, AL).
    "I would say Scape's Ford Rules Honda Sucks T-shirt had something to do with it. "

Nope, I wore the "Honda's are overrated, overdone, and over priced" Tee shirt that day.. :shades: ;)
    My take on sales..

Ford needs to keep the build volume of the Fusin/Milan low. Build quality, they must keep quality up, fit/finish up to the highest standard possible for this segment of sedan. The competition is fierce.

I enjoy the comments and inquiries about my fusion. Still after over 6 months of ownership. I get someone at least once a week asking me about it.

I see some Fusions/Milans on the road but not near as many Accord/Camry. I like this...
    The Hermi plant can only produce 300,000 Fusion/Milan and MKZ vehicls combined. And now with the Fusion/Milan offering AWD this throws yet another varialbe into build numbers. Ford would have to move production of the these sedans into the U.S. plants. Last I heard Ford is closing many plants. I don't think demand is high enough for the Fusion/Milan to justify re-tooling and infrastructure into a plant.. not to even include the high cost of union labor.
    I see some Fusions/Milans on the road but not near as many Accord/Camry. I like this...

I see more New Balance Shoes than I see Reeboks at school, too. Doesn't make Reeboks more desirable to me bud, sorry.
This discussion has been closed.