Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    What does the transmission bulletin call for? Is it on edmund's?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Wow, that's quite a variety of noises there. Mine only has the "drone 1". Have not heard any other odd noises after 3000 km. It was making the pump-like droning noise the other day while my wife was driving, so I got her to stop so I could listen. Definitely coming from under the floor behind the driver's seat. Nothing to do with the floor itself; it's definitely some electric kajigger humming away down there. Easier to hear from inside the car than underneath.

Is this noise limited to RAV4s of a certain drive type and engine, or is it universal? Mine is V6 4WD.
  • aiversaivers Member Posts: 1
    We got our 2006 RAV4 with the dealer installed DVD player for the kids assuming that it would play the audio track over the JBL stereo. As it turns out the dealer now admits that while the lower end stereo systems work, the more expensive JBL stereo system won't play the audio from the DVD player. Has anyone else here with the JBL stereo and the DVD player had this problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't see any transmission TSBs for the '06 RAV4 here yet (link). Nothing at the NHTSA either.
  • vivavegas99vivavegas99 Member Posts: 39
    Ok, I have experienced drone 1. Drone 3 actually is interesting. We have "turnabouts" here on the side of town where I work. I was going through one the other day, and heard what sounded like a fan belt screeching. I have not figured out if it was me or someone else near me, but have not heard it since. I guess that is not really a compressor noise, but I thought it was odd. My husband was in the car with me today when the droning 1 started, he said it is probably "normal" for this car, which to me sounds odd. I just hate to deal with my dealership again because they were horrible. Should I wait to seee if it gets worse?
  • happyharryhappyharry Member Posts: 22
    Would you Droning noise experts (or victims?) clarify that these different types of droning noise happened in both the 4 and 6 cylinder RAV4, or just the 6 cylinder models?

Thanks.
    I have the Limited V6
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    We have the transmission hestitation lurch issue and the radio defect in our 2006 Rav4 V6 limited. Willbe going in for service in next week or two at Capitol Toyota in San Jose and will post results for all here. Will be taking copies of all the issues cited here that are also potentials to occur, as noted in this board. :sick:
  • digitalmantisdigitalmantis Member Posts: 4
    The dealer says that Drone 2 (50-60 mph vibration) occurs in all models and engine variation of the 2006 Rav4. They have tried lots of "fixes" with no luck so far.
  • ihammerihammer Member Posts: 75
    Mine is a V6 2WD. I agree that the droning noise is coming from under the floor behind the driver's seat and that it's nothing to do with the floor. Also it is indeed to hear from inside the car. The fuel pump is somewhere back there and I guess that's why they replaced mine and when that didn't stop the drone also replaced the fuel pump housing/tube assembly. My car is droning just as much now as it did before the 2 "fixes (8/22/06 & 9/1/06) and I'm still waiting to hear what Toyota will decide to try next. They've been sitting on the issue for a couple of weeks now. I'll keep folks posted with updates including solution if one is forthcoming.
    You can take it to any Toyota dealership you choose. I did not take mine to the dealer I bought it from because I like another dealer better (they just didn't have the exact car I wanted when I bought mine). I didn't even leave mine overnight, but it was at the dealer for 3 entire days, one day all day for diagnosis, the next one to replace the fuel pump and the most recent to replace the fuel tube assembly/housing. I was provided with alternate transportation each time because I have a Platinum Service Agreement. There are circumstances under the basic warranty in which they'll give you a loaner, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Even with the extended warranty I had to push to get loaners. Neither of the fixes worked and Toyota is trying to come up with something else to try to solve the problem so I am in waiting mode right now and am just putting up with hearing the drone when I drive the car. I will keep you posted. Good luck with getting your droning issue resolved! One of the many of us is bound to have this problem fixed and then we all will.
    Thanks for the info. I know we have some other extended warranty thing, in addition to the manufacturers warranty. We do have other transportation we can use, it's just the inconvenience factor. I wonder if all new models run into wierd problems like this. I suppose it may not be uncommon for new items to have quirks and things with them. I just don't want to start having all sorts of problems because I really really like this vehicle!
  • mendota101mendota101 Member Posts: 17
    My RAV has the Yokohama Geolandar 225/65 R17 tires. I drive 170 miles per day all freeway. and on poor road surfaces the tires are noisy and offer a firm ride. Also my gas mileage is 27-28 mpg which is ok but I was hoping for 30.

Any suggestions on replacement tires? I have 20,000 miles in 6 months.

Thank you.
  • ds_1910ds_1910 Member Posts: 2
    This weekend I test drove a new 2007 Rav4 Limited V6. As soon as we put it into reverse, the Drone 1 "Noise behind the driver humming sound started up". When I put it in Drive, the noise stopped after a few seconds and was not audible anymore. Does the Drone 1 sound happen with the 4 Cylinder models?
    I swear by the new Goodyear Silent Armour tires I put on my ML-430, which I will put on our Rav4 when the time comes unless something better comes along. Very high rating from http://www.tirerack.com/
  • mikus2mikus2 Member Posts: 2
    I was all excited when I went to radioshack to get a 1/8" - 1/8" male to male jack for my Rav4 06 to connect my iPod to the center console mini-plug. When I did... only the left side of my speakers worked... I tried using the balance and it would just go dead silent when I shifted the sound to the right side... what's going on? should I bring the car back to the dealership?
  • digitalmantisdigitalmantis Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I think Drone 1 can happens to all models and engine options.
    single stripe or dual on the jack? In other words did they sell you a stereo or mono jack? If it is stereo, try partially pulling it out slowly or lightly pressing on it when fully seated to diagnose if it is a jack issue; also try wiggling side to side gently.

We added a 90 degree stereo jack to ours and it works fine. The 90 degree plug relieve strain as it runs out the top edge of the center arm console.
  • ds_1910ds_1910 Member Posts: 2
    Are there any 2006 & 2007 Rav4 owner's that do not have the Drone Noise issues?
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    I have had my 4 cylinder RAV4 since 2/06. I have 14000 miles on it. I don't have the problem and, luckily, have had to guess what it is. I think it is like a rattle or vibration behind the driver seat under all the conditions the folks have mentioned here.
  • chris69chris69 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my new 2006 Rav4, I really noticed this since I changed to my rubber mats. It's defiantly dripping down from just below the glove compartment, today it will be raining all day and I am sure I will have a cup of water on my mat. The dealer could not find the source. I am really upset, I have heard this happening with other owners but does seem rare. What did your dealer do to help.
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    "Are there any 2006 & 2007 Rav4 owner's that do not have the Drone Noise issues?"

2006 RAV4 : No drone issues at all. Hesitation issue gone as well.
  • mikus2mikus2 Member Posts: 2
    its a single stripe on the jack cuz I got this cable http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102949&cp=&pg=2&origkw=1%- 2F8%22&kw=1%2F8&parentPage=search and it fits perfectly, so i'll try pulling it out a little bit but i made an appointment for this sunday so thanks for the help
  • spinningfoxspinningfox Member Posts: 3
    I bought the same type of min-plug jack from a local store for $1.99 and it works fine with my Creative Muvo; just make sure you plug all the way in.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Sounds like you got the 'mono' plug instead of the 'stereo' plug which has 2 stripes.
  • newcarbuyer4newcarbuyer4 Member Posts: 2
    I have about 4100 miles on my V6 5speed Sport. 2nd gear has begun to make noise. The fabric seat material is beginning to "pull" in several place. My sunvisors have fallen out of the sockets they are attached to several times. The dealers I have taken it are living in denial. My radio is junk. I've taken pictures of the radio display when it goes into "hiroglypics mode" but have yet to had it happen when taking it to a dealer. Although the radio has several problems including a tunity sensitivity difference between "scan" and "seek" I can not get the issue taken seriously.

Toyota is know for great quality. I think this is the reason the dealerships can't seem to grasp the idea that the RAV4 didn't get enough QC time before making it to market.

I am starting to wonder how much of the materials that went into this RAV4 were made it China?

I love the vehicle but the quality issues are horrible. I've had 6 Ford Explorers with cloth seats and the interiors looks like new when I sold them.
  • spimbyspimby Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2006 4x4 4cyl and have not noticed a droning noise (knock on wood). Have ~1,000 miles on the vehicle.
  • spimbyspimby Member Posts: 14
    Yeah. They're worthless. It seems like a good idea, but the little arm thingy needs to do more than spring up. I have several coffee travel mugs where the spring arm won't fully come up because of the shape of the mug. This leads to it just flopping around in the cupholder...and me having to hold the cup with my fingertips for most of my commute.
  • farhadnyfarhadny Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm having the same issue in my 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited. My SUV was parked outside and it was raining for last 2 days. I found at least a glass of water in the glove compartment side floor mat. I also noticed, it was completely wet under the car on floor only on front passenger side. If you drive the car in heavy rain it doesn't leak. It leaks only when the car is parked and it rains heavily. I'm planning to take it to the dealer. Do you find any solution?

Thanks.
  • alexlc13alexlc13 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just got my 2007 Limited a few days ago with the JBL speakers. I'm noticing a problem with weak FM reception when I drive just along and outside of city limits. Also when I drive in town every so often the stereo signal sounds like it goes into mono (I'm assuming this is the signal problem). I saw a few posts back in July that folks were having FM reception problems with the 2006. Were those problems ever fixed? Anybody having these problem in the 2007 version?
  • ddunningddunning Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my new rav4 in Agust and the droning noise was noticable after three days. Took it back to the dealership and fortunately the tech was able to hear it. They contacted Toyota and they told them to replace the fuel pump assembly. That did not work. My dealership contacted Toyota today and they are going to replace the entire fuel tank. They think the design of the tank is causing the noise. I hope this takes care of it because it is really annoying.
    I bought my 2006 RAV4 Limited 4x2 April 30, 2006. I noticed the droning noise fairly early on and in late June I took it to the dealer and they were able to hear it. On August 22 they replaced the fuel pump. That did not work and the noise was actually ouder than before the "fix". After consulting with Toyota they replaced the fuel pump assembly on Sept. 1st. That did not work either. Today (Oct. 9, 2006) I dropped the car off so they can listen to it tomorrow when the district tech rep from Toyota will be at the dealership. The droning noise does not happen every day so I hope they can hear it. I did leave them a log of all of the times it has droned since I got the car back on Sept. 1st. I also told them that it is the same noise it has been making all along, but apparently they have to hear it for themselves. They aren't even going to do anything to try to fix the problem tomorrow so I'm sure this won't be the last visit to the dealership for the droning noise. I don't think they know what to do next. They had talked about replacing the entire fuel tank before they replaced the fuel tank assembly, but decided not to do that for some reason. When I dropped the car off today I told them that I think it is a design flaw and that I worry that they won't be able to fix that. I am really tired of having to take the car in repeatedly for a noise that shouldn't be there in a brand new car. I've bought lots of cars, both new and used and none of them have ever had an ongoing noise problem. Please let those of us in the forum know if replacing your vehicles fuel tank works. There is someone (Ofelia) who has posted messages here who I think had her fuel tank replaced several months ago (May I think) and I don't think it worked. Anyhow, good luck with your upcoming fix and let us know if it works. When are they going to do it? I will keep you posted too.
    Hi, I have a Limited 2006 w/JBL, but haven't had FM reception problems except for when I'm out in the country where cell phone reception is also not good.
    On another topic, those of us who have 2006s heard that the 2007s come with inserts for the cupholders to keep cups from flopping around. Did cupholder inserts come with your 2007? Thanks for any info and good luck with your FM reception issue. I drove a new Honda CRV the other day and the FM reception wasn't great in it either, but I was sort of out in the country.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    The 2007's come with cup holder inserts. They can't be ordered from Toyota parts yet and the quotes I've seen have been around $40 for one!! Ridiculous.
  • peggie32peggie32 Member Posts: 3
    My problem was never fixed. I still get static on and off daily and also understand what you mean about it going into mono. It seems like the problem is less after it rains and also seemed to improve after the oil was changed for some crazy reason which leads me to believe its some kind of grounding issue or other interference. Toyota called and wanted me to go back to the dealer for a fifth time after I wrote them a 5 page letter and requested a free extended warranty. They wanted me to drive the Customer Assurance Manager around and this is after I showed up there months ago to do exactly that and the technicians said they didnt need to go for a ride. The dealer had already replaced the radio and the antennae and tried to tear out my headliner because they didnt know where the antenna was and also put marks in my dash and left the old antenna hanging inside and disconnected my door locks and short changed me in an oil change and I showed up for an appointment and they never had one and just on and on. I was supposed to go back to drive someone around but unless they are going to spend the whole day with me, its hard for someone to understand the extreme annoyance of the radio issue. I have had the absolute worst experience with Toyota and hope next time I have enough sense to go elsewhere. As for everythng else about my 2006 V6 Sport Rav, I am happy. The experience with the dealer and now Toyota just takes away from that.
  • andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    I bought a set of 4 window-cupholders from KMart for $2.89. The cupholders have inward bending claws to accomodate tapered coffee mugs/ cans/ bottles of soda. These cupholders fit into the RAV4 and Toyota 4Runner large cup openings. I glued them with scotch-tape (to the sides) and cut off the window-hanger extensions.
    Try it, it worked for me in both SUVs. Let me know how did you like it? =Andrew
  • andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    Plese see my message #330 of 330, Oct. 10, 2006. It beats the $40 after market liners!
  • mlot51mlot51 Member Posts: 8
    TSB AU003-06 "Audio System - Abnormal Popping Noise on FM Band" was issued in August for the 4 Runner. It seems to describe exactly the problem I have with the radio in my 2006 Rav. Im hoping a TSB for the Rav will be coming soon.
  • gmarshall56gmarshall56 Member Posts: 20
    Its kinda scary for me. I'm supposed to pick up my '07 RAV4 Sport this coming weekend. In this venue I see more entries of people experiencing the droning noises than entries for those who do not, or maybe in this venue you will only see those entries for owners who have the problem, as owners who do not have the problem have no need (or interest?) in coming here to make an entry. Help out a potential RAV owner here.... Can we somehow figure out if there are more RAV's out there with the noise problem than those without? Could it be that those who have the noise problem have some option installed on their particular vehicle?... as I said, kinda scary....
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I bought essentially the same thing at Target. Ninety eight cents for one. Used them from the upper Midwest to Arizona last week with all different sizes of cups (as you get when on the road) and had no problems at all. I didn't glue or tape mine in but cut off the hanger as you did. They don't look wonderful but they sure do the job.
  • joeygejoeyge Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm a long time Toyota owner considering a new RAV4, CRV, possibly a Mazda CX-7. The problems reported here are very unToyota-like.

Are they prevalent on the 2007's also?

Anybody buy one and not have any of these problems, the droning, leaking, bad radio, AC, etc?

Would you ditch your RAV4 if you could get your $ back and buy something else?

Thanks for your replies.
    Well I have a 2007 with the 6 CD version, not JBL. The stereo sensitivity seems about normal. I am comparing to my Audi Bose system. The RAV4 sound quality it not as good but sensitivity seems about the same. I am about 65 miles from Manhattan and WQXR seems to come in about the same distance as I head east on both cars.

Actually I think the radio is better than I expected after reading some of the comments here.

In fact the whole RAV4 Sport V6 is even bettr than I had hoped for so far.
    The 2007 inserts work well but Toyota should mail a set free to every 2006 Rav4 owner! The things are neat but look like $5 each would be fair price.
    Well they sold 50,000 to 100,000 RAV4s so far I think. There are certainly not any near that number of people posting on the web. There are almost no lag or drone complaints at the NHTSA web site.
  • fhspsu67fhspsu67 Member Posts: 24
    Have had my '06 RAV4 I4 since April and have had absolutely no problems. Love my second RAV as much as my first, an '02. :)
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    Joeyge,

I don't know whether the 2007's have the problems that you mentioned. I have a 2006 I4 Ltd. The only 2 concerns I had were the hesitation issue which I experienced a few times, but non-existent now, and the low MPG's I was getting. That has also changed because my MPG's have increased with the break-in period. Fortunately, I have never experienced any of the other problems, and I am very happy with my RAV4, hence, I'd buy it all over again.
    If I read correctly, it sounds like the two people who replied to your post "fhspsu67" and "lir" have 4cyl RAV4s. Maybe those don't have the droning issue like the 6cyls do. Mine is a 2006 6 cyl with the droning issue (in fact it is at the dealer for the second night in a row while they try to solve the problem). It is a blast to drive - very fast off the line and very nimble, but this droning noise issue is sort of ruining my experience with it. I have been driving a dealer loaner 2006 4cyl 4wd RAV4 while mine is in the shop so have gotten to experience the 4cyl. The RAV4 4cyl did pretty well on my commute today. Though I did miss my 6 cyl at times, I could probably get used to the 166HP 4cyl. So would I ditch my RAV4 if I could get my $ back and buy something else? My answer is that the 2007 CRV is looking better by the minute.
    2007 V6, no drone! Lots of fun though.
  • gmarshall56gmarshall56 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the encouraging news. Can you or someone provide where on the NHTSA web site where I can see all of these filings?
    thx
    g
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link to the complaints section:

Office of Defects Investigation