Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Usually all the mounting points for the hardware are already there, but it can be expensive to add. My 2004 Highlander didn't have 3rd row seats(optional) and I looked into ordering the parts to add the 3rd row seat from Toyota, it would have cost $1,500+. there is a company that makes 3rd seats to add onto(name?, don't remember), but the seats are fixed and have to be removed if you need the full trunk space.
  • mazdacx7mazdacx7 Member Posts: 7
    when I reached 3k milles took the car to the dealer to do an oil changue..they told me that I do not need to do it untill 5K..so took the car straight to Orlando.. :) .
  • mazdacx7mazdacx7 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone having issues with the fuses for the power accesories...My Ipod bur out the fuse..took me like 30 min to ID the fuse..couldn´t find a replacement at the autoparts stores so took it to the dealer after 2hr they just replace 1 fuse... :mad:
  • DianeAZDianeAZ Member Posts: 1
    My dealer found the transmission fluid to be contaminated/burnt and now wants $200 for a "WS FLUSH." My husband confirms that it looks and smells burnt. The car shifts and handles normally. Could this be an indication of a larger problem with the transmission? I do live in Phoenix, AZ where it's quite hot in the summer, but my commute is pretty easy, and the car is not overloaded or driven hard. Can we just change the transmission fluid or should we follow the dealer's advice and do the flush? Or should we get a second opinion while the transmission is under warranty?
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    I have a 2005 with 39,000 miles on the tires and need new ones. Primarily looking for ride comfort and all weather. Not interested in off road or snow/ice. Consumer Reports rates the Dunlop SUV tires highly.
    Anybody had any experience with these or other tires.
    Thanks,
  • ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    If the transmission is still under warranty, how does the dealer justify charging you $200? I would contact Toyota if I were you.
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    I can tell you how: it is maintenance, like an oil change, so it is not covered under the warranty. If I were the original poster, I would let the dealer or another competent mechanic flush the transmission and see what happens to the fluid after some time. Even though I have a 2006, I am unfamiliar with the transmission maintenance, I would stay away from Jiffy Lube and the other fast service places for doing this kind of work. On a previous car, I had a shop drop the pan, replace a filter, look for metalic droppings in the pan, and flush the system out. The quick lube places don't do that. They just force new fluid through the system. And, I know, some competent places don't feel that's necessary to drop the pan. So let us know what you find out so I know what to do when it happens to me.
  • acemechanicacemechanic Member Posts: 7
    You should take the vehicle back to the dealership and have them check for ECM programming updates for your shifting problems. The vehicle engine control module is equipped with adaptive learning. This allows the ECM to provide the most efficient and economical engine operation. If there is more than one driver for the vehicle, and their driving styles are different, you may be experiencing settings for the other drivers' "style".
    Make sure to have the dealer check the spare tire pressure as well. The spare tire also has a tire pressure monitor in it. This is a common issue when checking tire pressures.
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Tom, I came to your question using the search function. I bought an '06 RAV4 last week and saw this maintenance recommendation. Searching elsewhere I found the answer. There are 4 bolts with 12mm heads on each end of the drive shaft from the center differential to the rear differential and attach a U-joint base or flange to the differentials. There also is a center drive shaft support and bearing with a mounting bolt on each side that can be checked. I also have the impression they are often ignored, rarely come loose and Toyota makes it a maintenance issue to be sure you are not the exception to the rule that well applied bolts rarely come out. The torque recommended was 27 ft lb. Roy
  • mendota101mendota101 Member Posts: 17
    My 06 has 95000 highway miles. When does the factory suggest
    changing the transmission fluid?

And the timing belt?

Thank you.
    It has a timing chain so I think never is the recommendation. As far as the tranmission fluid, I don't know what Toyota thinks but I would do it about now if I were you.
  • marcomenesesmarcomeneses Member Posts: 3
    RAV4 and Internal Engine Control Module” failure.

My RAV4 2003 (100K miles) actually kicks out of gear on re-acceleration, for stoplights, and heavy stop and go traffic situations.

It revs up to about 2000 rpm before it engages when I accelerate to proceed.

The dealer told me that it was the “Internal Engine Control Module” CODES P0755 and PI760. To replace that module costs 1200 dollars.

My question is:

Can I get that module and install myself?

If yes, where I can get that part and the instructions to install it?

Any help is appreciated, because with the economic downturn of the economy is difficult to pocket out 1200 dollars and I would like to do it myself.

marcomeneses@msn.com
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    FIRST, make sure the ATF level is proper, high enough.

But otherwise it more sounds to me as if one of the line pressure control solenoids has/is failing. Disconnect the battery briefly in case an ECU "relearn" procedure will/might work.
  • marcomenesesmarcomeneses Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your answer and insight. I will try to look at your points.

Regards!!!

marco
    I was replacing the filter on my 2006 RAV4 today. The filter that was there had an up arrow. The replacement filter had an airflow arrow. Does anyone know what direction the airflow is for this filter so I can replace it properly? Looking at the filter, I don't know how it could matter.

I called one dealer, he told me the flow was from the bottom to the top. The other dealer told me the opposite.
  • ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    I didn't know there was a cabin air flow filter. Where is it??
    There is a cabin air filter, sometimes called a AC(air conditioner) C(cabin) filter. It is located right behind the glove compartment. The replacement directions are in the owner's manual at the end of the AC operations section. The dealer replaced mine at 15k miles. I now am replacing it myself at 45k miles. It is pretty dirty, I must admit. It is very easy to replace, no kidding.

A third dealer just told me the flow was from the bottom up. So there are two out of 3 votes in that direction. Looking at the filter, I can't see how it matters but who am I to tell.
    It does matter because if the filter airflow is in the proper direction, the filter element will be tightly sealed by the airflow(for better filtering) and will also rest against any bracing. In the incorrect position, the filter willed be pulled loose and not afford a tight seal and will not be supported by any bracing.
    OK. But can you help me by telling me what the airflow direction is? Is the airflow from bottom to top as 2 of the 3 dealers said?

Thanks for any help out there.
    Don't take this as gospel but I can't imagine any Toyota/Lexus HVAC configuration wherein the airflow isn't downward. From the outside air intake at the bottom of the windshield toward/into the squirrel cage blower assembly below.

In recirculate a damper closes the outside inlet and opens an alternate cabin air inlet above the filter.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    On page 381 of the 2009 Owners Manual, it indicates that there is an arrow on the filter that should be pointing up when the filter is installed.
    As I said previously, the original has an up arrow. The replacement which I bought from the dealer has an airflow direction arrow. So they are different.

However, I concluded the flow is indeed down. I put my hand in the open space and turned on the fan. The air pull down as one writer expected it to be. Also, I could trace the tubing from the blower or whatever I am looking at and it goes to the vents on the dash thus confirming the flow. You really have to look at it to figure out what is going on. And once again, based on my looking at the filter and looking at it fit, I could have placed this either way and it doesn't matter, in my opinion.

At least next time, this will be easy.
  • cubsfan_1cubsfan_1 Member Posts: 1
    I have changed tires before but never had one I cannot remove. Extremely frustrated!
    A mechanic once told me to step/stand on the vehicle's lug wrench to loosen the nut. It had come from the factory way over tight.
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    When I did mine on my 2006 on a narrow shoulder it was fun too. Factory overtightens for sure. Use a hollow galvenized pipe just large enough in diameter over the lug wrench to extend the lever arm to increase your muscles for you :-) Also use your legs, not your arms too, way more oomph in the legs and safer too for your back! I bought an oversize T style wrench the next day, and good thing I did as I got a second flat in less than 2 weeks! At least the darn spare is easy to get to!
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Replaced the OE Bridgestone Dueller's with Dunlop Radial Rover AT's on my '05. Tremendous improvement in both ride and noise reduction.
  • blindgoldfishblindgoldfish Member Posts: 4
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience riding in the 08 or 09 V6 with the run-flat tires and without (with a spare on the back). Is there a difference in road noise? Ride? Handling? Life of the tire? Thanks.
  • lenny20lenny20 Member Posts: 10
    RAV4 2007 6 cyl. Less than 36,000 miles Installed new tires three months ago (Nokian). Five weeks ago tire pressure light goes on, stays on steady for one hour.
    Then goes off. Dealer checks tire pressure--OK. This happens two more times; on third occasion dealer adds air to spare tire and pressure light goes off. Three days later pressure light flickers and then stays on bright steady. Tire pressure is checked with two (2) gauges--OK. After three hours tire pressure light goes off. Start car two hours latter and light goes on and stays on for now. I will demand of dealer that he do more than just add air.
    ANY OF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH TIRE PRESSURE LIGHT?
  • ThinkinghardThinkinghard Member Posts: 16
    Bought a Rav4 2009 last December. Today, I found there were some noises like "flowing fluid" when I turned on the air conditioner. The car only has 2200 miles on it right now. Is there something wrong with air conditioner?

BTW, the car was towed before, will that affect the air conditioner? :sick:

Thanks a lot!
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    Yes I would say there is a problem with the a/c. On my toyota I had the a/c compressor go bad, and when it did that I heard what sounded like water rushing through a pipe. That noise was coming from behind the glove box area. Once the compressor was replaced no more of that noise. From what I understand the compressor being defective couldn't create enough pressure to move the refridgerant through the system, hence that water rushing or "flowing fluid" noise.

Try and find a dealer who will understand what that is, and replace the compressor.

Towing wouldn't hurt the a/c, it's like saying that your radio wouldn't work because the car was towed, doesn't affect it.

Hope that helps you.
    Is that the only time that you hear the "flowing fluid" noise? The noise that you heard could be the vents opening - does the vehicle have automatic climate control? You can identify this function by looking at the control panel. If the control panel has an "auto" button, it has auto climate control. Towing the vehicle will not affect the air conditioning system. At this point, your best bet is to take the vehicle to a dealership for inspection. The Air Conditioning system is covered by your Basic Warranty (36 months/36,000 miles)
    Thanks for your comments.That makes sense to me.

Just a bit sad that the car only has 2200 miles on it....
    Thanks for your input

The noise could only be head when I turned on the air-conditioner. My vehicle does not have auto-climate control function....
  • mrnice1mrnice1 Member Posts: 2
    I want to buy 2009 rav4 ,v-6,FWD limited , but i'm told that they are not sold in New York state and 4x4 is only sold in limited trim. Why is that?And can i buy it in another state where fwd limited trim is sold?
    FWD vehicles, especially those with "surplus" engine power, are patently UNSAFE in the wintertime conditions you will oftentime encounter in your area. There is also the inverse effect that I once encountered trying to buy a F/awd Chrysler minivan in Memphis, not much market there. Had to trailer one in from Chicago.

Keep in mind that with FWD or F/awd when wheelspin/slip occurs due to the use of too much engine torque for conditions you have also lost, momentarily, directional control of the vehicle. That's why TC. Traction Control, is so quick acting and all encompassing on FWD or F/awd vehicle, traction MUST be regained quickly in order to reduce the potential for an accident due to loss of directional control.

So a fairly lightweight FWD RAV4 equipped with a V6 engine would tend to be substantially more dangerous than one with F/awd or even with the I4.
  • kkrtrekkkrtrek Member Posts: 51
    What I ran into on the west coast (I'm in Oregon) was similar. We were not satisfied (to say the least) with the prices we were able to negotiate from in-state dealers, so we contacted dealers in California and Nevada. They were more accommodating, but claimed they were unable to get the specific 4-wheel drive model we wanted--that they were all being sent to the Northwest or elsewhere. I guess Toyota does this based on what they think will be most popular in different areas.

I *think* the RAVs are all 50-state compliant on emission standards, so I don't see why you could not buy one in another state. You have to work out sales taxes, though. Another solution would be to work with a dealer in finding one to be delivered in the future and swap it with one your dealer is scheduled to receive. I think this is pretty common. It might be difficult to find a dealer who is willing to do that, at least until you convince them you are not going to buy what they have on the lot.
  • gjosgjos Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 and I am dismayed at the poor FM radio reception. Your post mentioned an "insert" so wanted to find out what that is. Is it an upgraded radio or FM booster?
    Thanks for your help
  • gjosgjos Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on paying $45 to a Toyota dealer to silence the beeps on my 2006 when I open or lock the car. I also want the seat belt beep silenced.

Has anyone had this done and are there other opportunities I should know about to modify the programming while my car is "under the scan"?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Depending on which trim level you have there are a number of settings that have to do with locks, lighting and climate control. I had a few changes made to the auto climate control settings on my Limited as well as the seat belt warning disable. Note that "disabling" the seat belt beeper doesn't disable it entirely, but it does change its duration to about six seconds.
  • pudd04pudd04 Member Posts: 1
    Hey carperson1, i have the same exact problem. I reported them to NHTSA. You should do the same. They issued a recall in China for this problem too. I don't understand why they have to wait so long here. And i was pretty much told the same thing they told you. They wanted to change my rack and pinion as well! And you're right, i will tell all my friends never to get toyota again! They're not very helpful. Do me a favor, do the same thing i did and report them to www.nhtsa.gov.
  • jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    There is Toyota's TSB for this issue (which I also have with my 2006 Rav4). Please visit:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0318-08.pdf

You may need to register first with www.rav4world.com to get access to the file.
    Download this, print it out and present document to the dealer. There should be no argument then.

jerr
  • jaija132jaija132 Member Posts: 1
    i have 06 rav 4 2.4 liters , if is the same noise in the stering colum there are two intermiten stiring rods , toyota made a recall on the since 06 to 07 but the dealer isn't going to tell you , also there is a recall on the catalic converters , if when u take off fast and smell rotten eggs , they had to put two cat convertes on mine in less than 30.000 m if u have any questions e-mail me mao , boston
    I just called my dealer, and they are checking to see if it will be covered as I am 4 months outside of the 3 year warranty. My concern is one of safety, and I emphasized this on the phone. Mechanically it is probably the u joints at the shafts, and for the problem to start at 30K+ miles and slowly grow worse means to me abnormal wear and tear at the joints, which would be a huge safety issue over time. Requires both shaft replacements per the TSB, which would indicate the dimensions were off in the originals causing more than normal stress on the joints. Says 1.5 hrs of time to do the repair, where the service rep initially said it was really expensive. I am going to call him on the 1.5 hr quote. I'll pay 1.5 hrs plus parts if I have to, to have piece of mind that the steering will not fail, especially since this is my wife's car. But first I am going to exhaust the Toyota dealer/factory angle.
    So dealer called back and said there are 2 tsbs, one for the rack and one for the shafts. Taking it in to see which one it is. Joy. Gee thanks Toyota.
  • johan1johan1 Member Posts: 21
    So, what was the result? The dealer agreed to pay for it or it had to be from your own pocket? And the two TSB were applied?
    The intermediate shaft TSB applied to the symptom I was seeing. My car was slightly out of warranty at 38K miles @ 3.5 years, but I managed to get the service advisor to work with Toyota such that Toyota covered parts @ $500+ and I covered labor @ $196 total. I emphasized the safety issue. The other TSB is in the electric steering rack and if you are seeing it and are under warranty then get it done, as it extremely expensive. But it is not the same potential safety concern as the one I had addressed. The repair for me was done same day, 1.5 hrs of actual shop time. Personally I think it all should have been covered by Toyota, but I am happy they at least partially stepped up.
  • rsirsi Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2007 RAV that I rarely drive. Back in May 08 I drove it, knock in the steering, took it to the dealer while still under warranty. They said they could not hear anything - all was normal. I was not aware of the TSB's at the time. I drive the RAV again this summer, knock is worse, now out of warranty. Bring the vehicle back to the dealer, they now acknowledge the knock but say "sorry - vehicle out of warranty, you have not had all you maintenance done here - we can't help you, repair will be about $700" Toyota Corporate listened very well then said " sorry out of warranty" I called around and talked to several service managers and finally found someone willing to do the right thing. TSB repair was completed for $300. Still way too much money to pay for an obvious design defect. Toyota's failure to stand behind their product has made this the last Toyota I will ever own!
    Yeah it is unfortunate a company that has a great rep in many ways continues to drop the ball on customer service and does not step up on an obvious factory defect/design flaw.
  • arloexlarloexl Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have website to get a good price on a shop manual for a 2007 Rav4?