Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    eBay?

There's some stuff online but it can be hit or miss.
  • township75township75 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking to do my first oil change on my 4cyl 2009 Rav4 Limited in about 1000 miles. I have been researching what I need to do, and about soiled myself when I learned the oil filters weren't the simple spin-on canister kinda.

Could you please tell me what types of tools and/or kits I need to do this. I have the 5 qrts of 5w-20, and I have a new filter, but it didn't have new o-rings. I also take it I need a special tool to take off the oil filter...where did you get yours, and if you have a part # please let me know.

Also, if you have any advice for making the process easy (besides going to a real mechanic), please let me know.
    Thanks!
  • samidogsamidog Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyway to increase drivers leg room by moving the seat track back???? I need about 3-4 inches more leg room for leg comfort.
  • mililani1mililani1 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2010 V6 Limited. Love the car but I'm a little concerned about changing the oil since my other cars had a simple spin on filter. I found the instructions and torque values for the 4 cylinder oil change. Does anyone know if the V6 would be the same torque values as the four banger? Thanks.
  • acemechanicacemechanic Member Posts: 7
    No, the torque values are different for the V6 as removal of the filter is actually a two step process and the caps are made of different materials. You should be able to get the torque values from your local Toyota Dealer.
  • mililani1mililani1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I'll contact the service department at Servco Toyota and see if they will provide the information on the torque values.
  • minivanfan88minivanfan88 Member Posts: 2
    Actually here is the newest TSB (thanks to whoever posted before):
    http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0318-08.pdf

My brother has a 2007 RAV4 with about 40K. He took it to the STAR Toyota Dealership Service Shop here in Queens, NY. The shop quoted him $2600 for the repair! $800 for parts and $1800 for labor - something seems off as I don't know too many jobs that take 18 hrs to repair (their hourly rate is $100). Anyways does this sound right? They basically said it was the same part as addressed in the TSB - intermediate steering shaft. Anyways, I told my brother he should speak with the district service manager and see if he can get it covered (he'll talk to him Monday hopefully). Seems to me like it is a design flaw since a new shaft had to be "designed" to "address this condition". Unfortunately, appears to be happening to alot of RAV4's just as their passing their warranty mileage based on the posts I've read. Also, doesn't look like service shops are mentioning the TSB as it's probably more work for them to go through the district manager once the car is out of warranty. I bet in a year or so Toyota will issue a recall and reimburse any customers who had to pay out of pocket - the sooner the better for their customers and their image.
    Your brother should ask to speak to the Service Manager or Parts and Service Director
    not an Assistant Service Manager (service writer), and ask him to explain the charges in the estimate. He should also bring a copy of the TSB with him. If you look at the second page of the TSB, it lists the parts to be replaced and the time allowed to perform the repair. Since the vehicle is out of warranty, your brother will have to pay for parts and labor, but if he speaks to the Service Manager, the manager may be able to work out a compromise. If he still is not satisfied, then he should request to speak to a District Manager.
  • m327m327 Member Posts: 1
    Toyota will tell you no, however, if you go to a facility which specialized in mobility impairment modifications, they can do it. I had the seat shifted 3 inches back. I believe they had to fabricate a new bracket and reused the original mounting holes. Total cost was about $550.
  • mikeb_57mikeb_57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 RAV 4 V6 Sport model. I installed Weathertech vent visors in the front doors. This model visor has a thin plastic flange that fits into the actual window channel, which avoids the ugly tape method of installation. The window outside upper edges actually mate with this plastic flange when the window is closed. The visors keep water and snow from sliding off the roof and into the car when the window is open a bit for ventilation. I'm sure most Toyota owners are familiar with the wave of slop coming in the window and landing in the window control switches.

The problem is the auto up window on the drivers side will not close automatically with the vent visor installed. The window comes up to the closed position, then opens up again half way. This is the anti trap feature that is supposed to keep the window from closing on fingers etc. In order to close it, I have to bring the window up to about 1/2 inch from closed, then STOP it, and then raise it the rest of the way and it closes fine. I would like it to just close using the auto up feature.

Does anybody know if it is possible for the dealer to either adjust the sensitivity of the safety feature, or disable it all together so that I don't have to fiddle to close the drivers window? I already tried sanding down the vent visor flange to thin it out a bit and remove any possible rough spots. I might be able to take off a bit more, but I don't want to weaken the visor and have it break off in a car wash or something.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

The passenger window has the same feature, but works fine.
  • bemerdanbemerdan Member Posts: 2
    maybe you should go in the vehicle with the tech. This way you should be able to point out the noise on a test drive. Sounds live there is something loose. shocks, Exhaust,rear diff, spare tyre,tailgate,if the Toyota tech looks he will find. when this is a problem like this. the tech that gets stuck with this problem will more than likely not going to be able to get payed for his time to fix your noise. this is not a good situation for you or the Toyota tech. when you go to work you most get payed for your time at work. Good luck.
  • bemerdanbemerdan Member Posts: 2
    this pinch protection feature is just that. too much drag on the glass will cause the window to go down. reduce the drag.lube,spread the window frame apart slightly.
  • willyc14willyc14 Member Posts: 1
    We have an '06 RAV4 that had a similar steering problem. We took it in under warranty 10/08, and they couldn't replicate the clunking sound. Thinking that, if it continued, it'd be covered by warranty, we waited until 6/09 to take it back. By then it was regularly clunking. But since it was out of warranty, and "we had waited so long," they'd only split the $2100 cost 75 (them) / 25 (us). That was the DSM's call. We appealed a couple of times, but to no avail.
    Now that I've seen all the RAV4 steering problems that are out there, I'm even more determined to BUY HONDA!
  • spinningfoxspinningfox Member Posts: 3
    My '06 RAV4 had the same issue, I noticed it a bit but didn't pay much attention. Last year I took the car to Westbury Toyota (LI, NY) for maintenance, they \told me there is clunking noise and they can order and replace the shaft under the warranty, to their credit it was fixed until recently I noticed the noise again, this time it was out of warranty and I was was being told they can not cover the same warranty twice and will charge me $750 for the replacement (and they have the spare parts). I refused on the ground that the part is probably defective due to manufacturing flaw, was going to call Toyota and see if they can cover it, let me know if anyone have similar experience. I'll write a follow up once I hear anything from Toyota.
  • mark19mark19 Member Posts: 123
    get yourself a lawyer, that's about all toyota understands. and yes i'm serious.
  • minivanfan88minivanfan88 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it's been so long since my last post - holidays et al. Update - the DSM was willing to cover the parts but not the labor, so out of pocket for my brother would have been estimated at $1100. I should have noted in my first post, that STAR Toyota recommended that my brother change the ENTIRE Steering Rack (Steering Link Assembly) as per TSB-0308-08 (http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-10-14_215739_rav_4_steering_1.p- df) and not just the Intermediate Steering Shaft per the earlier TSB I mentioned. That accounted for the big difference in labor time - 7.8hrs vs 1.5hrs. (Although that should be about $800 labor and not $1100 like the dealer quoted - something else going on there.) Anyways, TSB-0308 describes the noise as a rattling sound when DRIVING over bumps, and TSB-0318 describes the noise as a popping or knocking sound when TURNING the wheel (I believe it's more noticeable at slow speeds/standstill). My brother's car sounded more like the latter, so we decided to go for a second opinion. We brought it to Penn Toyota on Long Island. They said that they couldn't find anything wrong. We do still hear and feel a very slight knocking when turning the wheel at low speeds, so I do think there's an issue. My bro has decided to leave it as is for now, although I recommended that he possibly get a 3rd opinion. Car is over 42K now, so the longer he waits, the harder it may be for him to get the DSM to help with costs. I still believe that this is a design flaw and that Toyota should fess up and take care of their customers. They've gotten a black-eye from the floor mats recall recently - we'll see what they do now.
  • namalenenamalene Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4 which had the same steering problem as everyone else. I have an extended warranty and all the steering components are covered except the TBS - Intermediate Steering Shaft. So, I had to pay all costs to American Toyota Dealership to replace it. I agree with all of you. I think it is a design flaw and Toyota should most certainly fess up and recall these vehicles and take care of their customers and reimburse those of us who have had to pay for this repair out of our pockets. I love my Rav4, but if there is a flaw, Toyota should FIX IT!!
  • slr9589slr9589 Member Posts: 121
    My 08 toyo trans path were looking sad with 5/32 or less after 43k miles. my spare looked great...i started searching the web for 215/70/16 toyo take offs in new condition. i found 3 ..spent on average 45 dollars each..shipping averaged 20 dollars.
    now my 08 has 4 new original tires!....but at least i did not have to wrangle over what to replace them with! look for the orphans,they're out there!
  • namalenenamalene Member Posts: 2
    I too have 2006 Rav4 which had the same issue. I paid to have the repairs done because my extended warranty covered all steering components except the one which was giving me problems. I contact Toyota via email, but they have not responded. I really think Toyota needs to recall and reimburse those of us who have had to put out money for this repair. I too will follow if and when Toyota responds. Good luck with your Rav4.
  • kathrynleekathrynlee Member Posts: 9
    My 2006 Rav4 had the same clunking in the steering column. I mentioned it to my dealership repair department once - about two years after purchasing the vehicle...but they couldn't replicate it. After seeing posts on this forum, and someone kindly linked in the TSM, I sent it to my dealership service department and scheduled the repair. Not knowing what they would charge I went in; they said it was covered under the initial warantee (I did not have any extended warantee). No charge to me at all and they replaced the steering components. I have been 'knock free' since. I am shocked to see people having to pay $500 or more for their share of this repair. The only think I can think is that the issue was brought up after the initial warantee was out of date, or unscrupled service departments...or that my dealership made a mistake and paid the full cost? I agree...since the problem seems so widespread, Toyota should be addressing it with a recall. Good luck.
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    I have 14k on 08-v-6 engine. I bought the car one month ago but just noticed a hum when I push the gas petal, to me sounds like the tranm. but my wife thinks it might be the tires. When I let up on the gas the hum disappears, dealer is busy now with the snowbirds so I guess I will wait until they go back until I take it in. What do you guys think?? Harry PS vehicle is a Rav-4
  • thegriffthegriff Member Posts: 1
    I have 07 Rav4 limited - with just over 62K miles, I noticed clunking noise, and took to dealer. They said it was a steering column problem, and quoted me over $900 to repair. I said BS, and wrote Toyota Corporate. They laughed at me and said too bad - out of warranty, we won't help you! Sounds like a design/manufacturing flaw to me that Toyota should be covering. I guess their reliability isn't what we all thought!
  • gregorylynngregorylynn Member Posts: 38
    Stand your ground, I was able to get them to cover labor out of warranty, it is a part defect, it should be a recall. Escalate more and make noise and see what happens.
  • gpurkgpurk Member Posts: 13
    We have a 2006 Toyota RAV 4 limited. Last summer we noticed a clunking noise when you turned the steering wheel. Fortunately we had an extended warranty and the costs were covered. It appears that this was a design flaw and Toyota should cover it.

Greg
  • tcarey1tcarey1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem checked out on my 06 Rav4 and Toyota said that is was a resistor that had gone bad. I don't have the specific info on my right now, but if you are interested, I can get it later. I was on the forum looking at the steering issues.
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    Yes could you please get me the specific's on it. That way when I go to the dealer I can show it to them. Thanks Harry
  • 05highlander0505highlander05 Member Posts: 89
    I walked outside to my Rav4 after grocery shopping and I noticed a bunch of scuff marks on the rear. Can anyone tell me how I can safely try to remove them w/out any body shop work?

Here is a link to the pics.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pewaukeedp/Rav4#
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    You might try this product:

http://www.nufinish.com/products_scratch.html

It's not prefect but it seemed much better after using it on my cars.
    thanks, how is it on deep scratches?
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    edited March 2010
    It's not a miracle cure for really bad scratches, but it will make it better appearing at the least and it's not too expensive to try and see. (one of your cheaper options to try first). Good stuff to have on hand anyway. A lot of places carry their stuff so it should be easy to pick some up to try.

http://www.nufinish.com/buy.html
  • pyritepyrite Member Posts: 1
    I have the EXACT same symptoms as this. Roughly began at one year of ownership from brand new and after they rotated the tires. The first trip to the dealership resulted in them not being able to replicate the problem. Its getting worse and Im making another appointment again soon so I can personally take them for a drive and show them. I will also bring up for them to check the tie rod assembly. Hopefully it is the same problem and they can find it. I have a 2009 Rav4 base.
  • daloondaloon Member Posts: 1
    I need to get my ecm repaired and it's cheaper if i remove it and send it in myself than to have someone else remove it for me. Does anyone know where it is and the best way to remove it?
    First of all, what year is your vehicle? Do you live in California? How many miles are on the vehicle? I would check these things out before you begin to remove and replace parts, because if the vehicle is still under warranty (ECM warranty may be different than 36 mos/36k miles) and you remove and replace parts, it may void whatever warranty you may still have.
  • raylirayli Member Posts: 1
    Where is the power accesores location and how much for fuse?
    thanks
  • jme2jme2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Toyota Rav4 and all of the trim around the whole car is literally melting off in most areas around the windows and the plastic trims around the car are drying up and shrinking. Is this happening to anyone else?? I called the Toyota dealer about two months after the warranty ended and the guy who answered the phone said he had never heard of it happening! I find it hard to believe that of all the RAV4 cars they made with this rubber trim I am the only one with this problem. Does anyone else have this problem? Also I know I can't fix it myself and I don't want to spend whole paychecks to get it fixed, Where can I go to get a good deal yet have good quality trims? Please help me!!!!
  • michaelp1michaelp1 Member Posts: 14
    My 2011 Rav4 Limited has less than 500 miles - and a crack that runs from top edge to about three inches from the bottom, making a left and a right in its travels. It first appeared as a much smaller crack four days ago; it actually spread while sitting in my driveway! I can't say that it wasn't a pebble, but honestly don't remember hearing anything. I saw some older posts of people claiming their windshield cracked on it's own - I'm not able to swear to that (I do drive on the highway) but I can say that in my 36 years of driving I have never had a windshield crack spread so rapidly while not driving. Are there reports of any inherent problems with the quality of Toyota windshield, particularly with the Rav4 and its installation? Seems that excessive stress forces are at work even when the car is still.

Getting it replaced Saturday at a Safelite (dealer WAY too expensive for insurance coverage) - for now I asked them to replace with original Toyota part, but maybe not a good idea? Thanks, appreciate any feedback / experience.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    Ask the Safelite guys to look at it, and point out any impact marks.. If there aren't any, it most likely is a defective windshield and Toyota may replace it under warranty...

Even a pebble is going to make a chip or a star mark where it hits.. If you don't have that.... then, I'd at least make my case at the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rose920rose920 Member Posts: 14
    When does one stop putting money into a car?

In 2010, I had a new A/C compressor , alternater, and Distributor O Ring put in to the tune of $1269.

That was followed by a door that wouldn't close at an estimate of $487. I got on here and read about Dupont Silicone and fixed it.

In 2011 so far, I have had a Timing Belt Tensioner put it as well as Crankshaft Seal and valve cover gasket -- $703.18. The Timing Belt was changed at 105k and the car now has 156k. I checked to see if it was under warrantee which it was and they were going to replace the whole kit, water pump, belt, etc. but the person I took the car to did not take the "kit" saying it was only the tensioner pully. I have to say that I was not comfortable with this and being a woman, I feel that I may have been "taken" on this. Is there a way to find an honest mechanic who won't take advantage of my female status?

Oh did I say the car was still leaking something? So I took it back and was shown that the power steering fluid was leaking. It is now fixed -- $470.

When I took it in, I mentioned that the car was making a clunking sound, not the usual power steering squeak. When I picked it up, I asked if they found out what the noise was. They said there wasn't any noise. Well as I drove out of the station and down two blocks, the noise happened again while I was waiting to take a turn. I am so disgusted and so not trusting, I did not return. I did have a muffler replaced a month ago (under warrantee) and by the person who originally put it on who is another person that I am unsure of as to being taken advantage by him.

In the old days, you took your car into be serviced or repaired (or at least I did) and the mechanic (my cousin) took the car for a ride to see if anything else was going on. He also washed it for me. He is now deceased and his shop is going and I am still trying to find someone I can trust. I admit to being spoiled but I knew that I could trust him and he knew I was not totally ignorant about cars having worked as a teenager in a dealer service dept so he listened to me if I thought something was wrong with my car.

This morning I looked at my car and there is yet another leak under it!!

Do I take it back or do I just chalk it up to a car getting old and it will keep having to be repaired? I really can't afford to buy a new one and I really want another Toyota but maybe this is not the time to buy one.

Sorry for rambling on.
  • ben90ben90 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2011 Rav4, but your post resonated with me. My 2002 Outback had the same occurrence. I was driving it on the highway, and a loud stone-smack occurred when I went under an overpass. Nothing showed on the windshield, although by the sound I definitely expected a chip or crack. Then I went to the mall. When I came out, the windshield had a crack that looks the same as your description of yours! In other words, the stone caused a delayed-reaction crack. So don't necessarily blame the Rav. I never had this happen either-in 51 YEARS OF DRIVING!! Maybe ALL of these current Japanese cars are over stressed in the windshield!
  • ucfkristiucfkristi Member Posts: 1
    I'm sorry that happened! Note that there is no OEM glass. All glass is aftermarket...even from the factory. So don't fret if they replace it with aftermarket.
  • pamf2pamf2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Rav4. And I'm having the same problem. My warranty is still good but I'm told this is not covered under warranty. I've been bugging the dealership to deal with this problem. To me this a defect, it is NOT normal wear and tear. They told me this was the first time they'd seen/heard of it also. Which I don't believe.
  • nmodnmod Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2010 Rav4 Limited with an issue with the rear differential. Local dealer claims they've never seen this issue with this model. Vehicle is 7k over power train warranty and Toyota Customer Care won't help with repairs. Their claim is I'm not a good enough customer despite this being my second Rav4.

Question: what is my best repair option, A) swap out the entire unit, or B) part is out?

:mad:
  • alex138alex138 Member Posts: 1
    Just spent $2000 to have my winshield drains cleaned (never heard of this) and all of the carpeting replace on a Rav-4 Limited that is not yet three years old with only 40,000 miles.
    The inside front of the car actually flooded. On Toyota's recomendation all of the carpeting and insolation was removed to confirm that the drains were blocked. Then they charged me $2000 which I was told my insurance (minus deductable) would pay. Has other owners had this problem. Have never heard this happening in any other vehicle.
  • jimsgaragejimsgarage Member Posts: 1
    Ive recently purchased a 2011 Rav4 2wd i-4. Numerous times now ive had to take the newly purchased car into Toyota to be serviced. The first time i ever brought the car in they balanced the tires & road force balanced them. Claiming the problem had been fixed i brought my car home, & on the way home i noticed the problem yet again. When going between the speeds of 55-60 their is a weird vibration that can be felt. The problem also occurs more frequent when it is cold. The second time the car was serviced Toyota replaced the transmission, admitting the transmission must have been faulty coming out of the factory. Yet again on my way home which is about a 45 min drive that is mostly on the highway, i felt the vibration. For a third time i brought in my car, despite what Toyota was telling me. That "They no longer felt the vibration, & fixed it" They lastly replaced the front Left tire, now claiming it was a bad tire all along.
    After the new tire being on, the vibration did seem to ease up a bit... But shortly after it was back to the same vibrations. The driver is not the only person that feels it, sitting in the passenger side & in the rear seats it can be felt. (Not Heard) When feeling it at first, its almost as if you have a low/flat tire.

As of now Toyota claims their is no vibration, atleast not one that they feel.
    They claimed to have test drove the car when it was cold, since the vibration can be
    felt more easier this way. But yet a 3rd party has to be called in now, & test ride in the vehicle.

If anyone should know or have any suggestions on what the problem may be,
    please contact me ASAP. Ive clearly been dealing with this issue awhile &
    would like to hear how others may view this issue.
    I'm coming up on 30k miles an wanted to get an idea of what maintenance needs to be performed. I don't prefer dealer packages because you pay them to just "check" things. Can anyone give me a guide to follow and what fluids should be changed at certain intervals for 30,60,90k?

Thanks
  • mbarnettembarnette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Rav 4 which I purchased used..it had approx 160k mile. I had no problems at all until one evening when I stopped at a store...when I returned to my car it would not go in reverse. It would slip into drive but had no power to move, and in low gear then engine would sputter and die.
    After talking to a transmisson shop I found out that there was a recall on the ECM. I spoke to the Toyota dealership and they "reprogramed" the one in my car for $65.00. The car was then taken to a trans shop and I paid $1600. to have the trans rebuilt.
    Since that day I have had nothing but problems. Its like this car has a mind of its own.
    One minute it may be sluggish in first gear and jerk into second. The next minute 1st is fine but it will jerk into 3rd....sometimes it doesnt go into overdrive at all. The engine is cutting out really bad which it didnt do before. Yesterday I had the cruise control on, and all of a sudden the car accelerated by itself.
    Today the car wont hardly move. Each day is different, from moment to moment.

The month of Jan my car was in the trans shop 24days total. He has replaced all of the sensors twice, and thinks the ECM may have been bad.

I spoke with Toyota Customer Experience today and was told that even if the ECM was bad, that I have to pay to have it replaced.
    He also told me to find a new mechanic!

After talking to the last owner, there have been 3, I found out that the orig owner had a new trans put in at 65k mi, the 2nd owner had a new trans put in at 125k mi..and I had mine rebuilt at 238k mi.

I cannot afford to purchase an ECM, and it aggrivates me that they have this warranty coverage dependant upon milage...if its bad its bad!

What should I do?????
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    Sorry about this. I would consider it a loss and buy a different car. Don't waste any more money on it.
  • superman55superman55 Member Posts: 1
    what is the milage that needs a tune up?
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    If you use Edmunds search for "car maintenance" you can input the year, make and model to see the manufacturer recommended maintenance at each 5000 miles. I do not think the term "tune up" is used. My '06 v-6, if I remember correctly does not need new spark plugs until 120,000 mi. Roy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link:

Car Maintenance Guide