Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Can I Find E85?

mikeharpermikeharper Member Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in General
spent a few hours online looking for E85 in Atlanta.
none.Not even in all of Georgia. why is this? seems like there is some up in south carolina.
unless some major investing is going on, E85 will not happen or be taken seriously.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's make this a discussion where folks who are looking for it can talk about where E85 is available around the country.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Only one place in GA. It is in Ft. Benning.

http://www.e85fuel.com/database/locations.php?state=gaGeorgia
  • mikeharpermikeharper Member Posts: 4
    thats private- no access. its a military base
    You may not get any E85 in GA. I doubt they plant corn in a peach orchard. It is only practical very close to the ethanol processing plant.
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    E85 pumps are being built in Minnesota and Des Moines, Iowa. E85 pumps will also be built in Wisconsin, Illinois and for GM execs in Michigan.
  • katiegirlkatiegirl Member Posts: 1
    A great site is the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition (NEVC) site: www.e85fuel.com. They have a link at the top that shows which states have E85.
    Good luck.
  • agrzeskowiakagrzeskowiak Member Posts: 15
    There is a website list of E85 gas stations in Wisconsin
    www.doa.state.wi.us
    If that doesn't work do a search for state of Wisconsin department of Administration. :shades:
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Right now, there are 1000 E85 vending stations in US. 3 Years ago, there were just 300. Big Progress.
  • foodandfuelfoodandfuel Member Posts: 1
    We have a complete list of sites that are tracking E85 fueling locations.

E85 Locations at FoodandFuelAmerica

FoodandFuelAmerica.com
    www.foodandfuelamerica.com
    "Good and Balanced Food and Fuel News!"
  • cngpricescngprices Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

I was able to find four stations in Georgia for E85 using my new web site AltFuelPrices.com.

You can also scroll around the map and see if there are any stations on routes near you that you might normally take. There are a bunch of stations around GA, but I agree, not too many inside GA.
  • blkbr0thablkbr0tha Member Posts: 25
    HEre is alink toone of the maps showing Ethanol locations. Keep in mind there are only approx 600 stations that sell it. When you do find a station expect to look for the pump. The oil mongers really ahte it when you use a cheaper alternative- but by law they have to sell it (it just doesnt have to be in FULL view). lol

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/ethanol_locations.html
    The oil mongers really ahte it when you use a cheaper alternative- but by law they have to sell it

E85 is hardly cheaper than regular unleaded. I have thought about running a tank of it in my 1999 Ford Ranger that is a FlexFuel truck. It costs about 50 cents more per gallon here in San Diego at the ONLY public station selling ethanol in the whole state of California. Plus it is 35 miles from my home. If ethanol is good for the MidWest they should keep it there. It only drags down the mileage of our vehicles with the percentage they are adding to our regular gas.
  • blkbr0thablkbr0tha Member Posts: 25
    Gagive- Yes it is more expensive in some parts of the Americas- but anything is when you have demand for it. I read someplace (wish I could find the article), that E85 is (as you stated) less efficient per mile. However, when ehtanol is mixed in certain percentages with gasoline it has huge characteristic changes to efficiency in the motor engine. If I find that article I will send it to you. I want to say the mixture was 60-40 or 80-20- a very small change to 85-15. But again... a mixture of ethanol still does not reduce the dependance on oil! lol Not sure if other people have caught on to this yet. To be INDEPENDENT of oil we need an entirely new alternative that does not relay on 85% gasoline!
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    That US map showing numbers of E85 and other alternate fuel stations is a real eyeopener! As you know there are a lot of E85 stations in most state bordering the Miss river (many more than the map even shows in MN). As I researched buying a new vehicle this summer/fall, something with at least 4wd & 4500 lb towing capability for a boat/trailer, I considered hybrid, diesel and flexfuel. I am not a suv lover and would have preferred a Chrysler diesel but for whatever reason they chose to exclude diesels from their lifetime powertrain warranty. I might have looked at the new GM hybrids except I usually only need to take 2, at most 4 people and a Tahoe is overkill.

So I ended up with a new Grand Cherokee and the 4.7L flex fuel V8, despite not really wanting a V8. Even in the midwest I have no real love for corn based E85, but after a lot of research am convinced that cellulosic (switch grass based, not using oil for refining) E85 will be the future 5-10 years from now ... and I hope to drive this Jeep into the ground, in future years just using to tow or in real heavy snow situations in SE MN.

FYI, when 87 octane gas which in the midwest is "E15" (15% ethanol, 85% gas) jumped to $3.05, E85 was selling for $2.20. I almost tried it but decided to wait until later this winter, one of the sales guys who uses it says not to if temps get close to 0F where the engine runs rough the first few mins till it warms up.
    Now that gas is back to $2.85, the E85 at $2.15 seems to be a borderline break even deal if it's truly 25% less efficient. I plan to do my own analysis this spring and if it's truly breakeven I will use it, however I agree the east coast may never see this deal and the west coast needs to convert some of the limited use ag areas to switchgrass to get that alternate a ways out. I honestly think the diesel efficiency is the way to go in the next 15 years like Europe, after that plug in electrics and hydrogen fuel cells may save us.
    I have thought of testing E85 in my FlexFuel 1999 Ranger. It is so expensive here and I am so cheap. Plus a long drive, 70 miles round trip to the ONLY station selling it in CA. I agree that cellulosic ethanol shows some hope for the alternative. I think Corn ethanol is strictly a case of Congress handing out corporate welfare to the likes of ADM.

Be sure and keep us posted when you do try E85.
    Took the plunge on Monday and filled 3/4 of a tank in my 07 4.7L Jeep Gr Cherokee with E85 at $2.28. With regular gas at 3.09 here in SE MN that's a deal, however most E85 is at 2.39. So far in 3 days and 60 miles of in town driving I am averaging 13.6 mpg. For the two weeks prior of similar intown driving I was averaging 13.8mpg. However I am realistically running something more like E70 since I had 1/4 tank of E15 (85 gas,15 ethanol) which is standard unleaded here in MN. Let me run this tank through probably after a trip this weekend out of town and I'll post a more realistic mpg in a week or so. I can also check hiway/freeway mpg where I have a lot more gas data to compare against. I have read the articles and expect to get 20% less mpg when I have pure E85 in the tank but so far so good.

No start or operational problems at all but of course it -finally- warmed up with lows in 20s and his in 40s this week after a LONG cold winter. That may be skewing my mpg figures too since the last 2 weeks of Feb were 10-15 degs colder than that.
    I am now on my 4th tank of E85 which has crept up from $2.28 to 2.39 and now 2.49 in just the past month in SE MN.
    Of course reg 87 gas w/10-15% ethanol has gone to $3.15 and now 3.25. Yikes.
    So E85 at 2.49/3.25 is 24% cheaper than gas (I got lucky & filled at 2.39 one more time, but corn is going up in price - where is our cellosic ethanol pulease !?!?).

My MPG varies from around 13 in town to 17 on a hilly 60mph 2 lane road.
    I got 16mpg @ 70 mph level freeway that generally is around 19mpg w/gas which works out to 16/19 or 16% less than gas.

Net: I am slightly ahead with E85, 8% savings or on a $150/mon gas bill I save $12. Not a big deal and still harder to find stations. And some are higher than $2.49 so any advantage rapidly diminishes. It feels good to fill up at $2.39 but you do it more too. If GM and the government would push cellulosic "switch grass" ethanol we might start seeing real reasons to use it but for now with all the subsidies etc I am not in the E85 cheering squad, but not a naysayer either.
  • seaotters31seaotters31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ford ranger flex and would like to use e85 now that it is finally available in Georgia. Does anyone know if this will cause problems with the high mileage and do you have to wait until the tank is almost empty of regular fuel before filling with e85?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Here in State College, PA I've seen one station that has E85 available. Where are the E85 hot spots?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232
    There is a station that sells E85 in my town here in Colorado. Not much of a price advantage over RUG - is that why this topic is so quiet?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

This discussion has been closed.