Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy 4WD Problems

Comments

• kozman1kozman1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My 4 wheel drive will not work on my 1995 GMC jimmy. Mechanic said it was the cable. I have no idea, so I go on the intenet and buy a ACDELCO US 15721261 Trans Shift Cable
    4wd ; 4-speed At (m30) ; Chevrolet (x88) ; Gmc (z88); Years:1995-1996; Per Car Qty:1; from Bestvalueautoparts. You quessed it WRONG cable.

My mechanic said the cable is about 18" to 24" long. Thats it no other info.

Does any one here have an idea what cable I need and where to get it?

Thnaks for any info
    Frank
  • jessejesse Member Posts: 3
    2000 gmc jimmy wont shift into 4 wheel lo high or auto...the lights on the push buttons just flash then kicks back into 2 wheel high...i dont have a clue can anyone help
  • woodsman3woodsman3 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Jimmy which did the same thing, First thing is look under the hood, in the middle of the fire wall is a vacuum switch, check and see if all the rubber hoses are connected and you do not have a vacuum leak. then check your push button cluster o your dash, mine was bad and needed changed out. After I did all of that mine works great with no problems. Good Luck my friend
  • caryb1caryb1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I did that exact same thing two days before I received your comments. My acuator valve (switch) under the hood was gone. The way I tested it was I taped the two hoses (that go to the switch) together and went into the vehicle and tried the switch again. Worked like a charm. Then I went and bought a new valve/switch and it is still working. Thanks to everyone for their help. I just hope this info helps someone else. Best site every.
  • jbagzjbagz Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1999 GMC Jimmy 4wd 4 door, i was driving to work when i heard a noise that was getting louder that the stereo. I turned the radio off and listened, at low speed say 10mph it is a clicking/grinding noise, if i put the vehicle in 4wd the noise imediatly stops, when i switch back from 4wd to 2wd decel, then acelerate again the noise comes back, if i go 20mph or more the noise becomes a loud howling sound that gets very loud on decel, but once again if i click 4wd the noise imediatly stops. about 4 days prior to this happening i replaced the heater core, although i don't think there is anything i did to disrupt anything to cause this problem. I did notice that when taking sharp turns in 4wd i heard a clicking sound, so i jumped the gun and replaced the cv shaft on the passenger side cause that is where the noise was, i no longer have that clicking noise although the original problem sound is still there just as bad as it was in the first place. i hear wheel bearings are an issue although i would believe that when puting the truck in 4wd i should still hear the sound. any ideas would be helpful? thanks
    Jon
  • goodyguygoodyguy Member Posts: 10
    You may as well take it to the shop. Sounds to me like the small gear in your front differential is burred and now wont work right. (hence the noise)

Only way to fix it is to replace the gear and also the nylon washer in your front differential.

This problem can be caused by poor vacuum not pulling the cable all the way to fully engage or disengage the gear. once its burred it must be repaired. Also check to see if you have a vacuum problem.

Just my 2 cents. I had the same symptoms as you and that was my fix.
    thanks for the info, to replace this gear does the dif case have to come out of the truck, or is it on the black housing going into the case with the electrical conector?
    The gears are in the case. I am pretty sure the repair was done without removing the differential from the truck.

The only thing inside the black housing is the connection for the cable. Parts cost was under $250.00 and labor was under $150.00

Unless you have a working knowledge of the differential and parts involved I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.
  • emilie1emilie1 Member Posts: 1
    lite is on on 2wd , push other 2 buttons 4wd lites dont come on or ingage 4wds.Its not the cable under the battery. Is there a fuse that controls this? If so where is it located?
    Under the hood there is a vacuum switch in the middle of the fire wall. Check and see if all hoses are hooked to it. Mine was broken off, as soon as I connected it the 4 wheel drive worked. If that does not do it then have someone check the push button control pad, it could be bad also. Good Luck
    ok this is a continuation of my post #164, i had a bad vacuum switch replaced it and now in 2wd everything works great, although in 4wd while turning either direction a get a clicking noise sort of like a bad cv shaft noise, only i just replaced the cv about a week ago. also the 4wd does not engage in reverse, seems to work fine in drive but when i reverse i get a loud clicking/whining sound. any sugestions?
  • drewcarr1drewcarr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99' GMC JIMMY with 150,000 mile. The milage has been crappy lately.I could drive about 5 miles and i can see a difference in the fuel guage. I had the dealership do the fuel injector service,I also had another mechanic change the o2 sensors since he said that would help the mileage.Is there any other part i can change to help my mileage. I know suv's burn more gas but i dont think i should be seeing a significant drop in my guage when i have only driven about 5 miles or so.
  • kbzookkbzook Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I do not want to seem repetetive but here goes. My 4wd isnt working, Right now the 4wd hi is lit but it is not engaged in 4wd (only the rears spin). If I try to put it in 2hi or 4lo they blink and go back to 4hi, 4 auto will light up, but again will not lock the front diff. The shop said that the cable actuator under the battery was bad so we replaced it, the old one was still good, it held a vaccum. Looking at the actuator while the vehicle is running it has a constant vaccum (sucked in) which makes sense because the 4hi light is on. When we push the 2hi button it briefly releases then goes right back to vaccum. The relays are clicking under the dash. When the vehicle is shut off it releases the actuator. I tried taking the plastic unit that the cable goes to out of the diff but it wont come out, it pops out about 3/4" then will not come out anymore. The vaccum is good, the actuator is good, the cable is not stuck, and fuses check out ok. Could something be wrong inside the front diff? Or could it be the switch? help......please. 10" of snow expected tonight, 4wd would be mighty handy.

Kyle
  • kbzookkbzook Member Posts: 2
    My 4wd isnt working, Right now the 4wd hi is lit but it is not engaged in 4wd (only the rears spin). If I try to put it in 2hi or 4lo they blink and go back to 4hi, 4 auto will light up, but again will not lock the front diff. The shop said that the cable actuator under the battery was bad so we replaced it, the old one was still good, it held a vaccum. Looking at the actuator while the vehicle is running it has a constant vaccum (sucked in) which makes sense because the 4hi light is on. When we push the 2hi button it briefly releases then goes right back to vaccum. The relays are clicking under the dash. When the vehicle is shut off it releases the actuator. I tried taking the plastic unit that the cable goes to out of the diff but it wont come out, it pops out about 3/4" then will not come out anymore. The vaccum is good, the actuator is good, the cable is not stuck, and fuses check out ok. Could something be wrong inside the front diff? Or could it be the switch? help......please.

Thanks

Kyle
  • dion165dion165 Member Posts: 4
    I have been having problems with my 4x4. it would not go into four wheel. The light would blink when I put it in auto, high or low and return to two high. I replace the actuator and checked the hoses. I also replaced the switch on the actuator cable at the transfer case. This problem is recent and of course decided to happen during the winter when it is most need. The vacuum appears to be fine. Any ideas? :(
    It sounds like the push button assembly on the dash is bad to me, good luck
    In last year I have changed actuator, actuator switch, hoses from actuator to switch, switch on dash, and I resently checked transaxle fluid (fine). Everything was working fine then wham again, won't go out of 2H try auto or 4H or 4L and the light will blink and go right back into 2H. Hear clicking when pressing buttons. Sometimes no lights with light up on dash switch and other times all lights light up and now the service 4 wheel drive came on. I hear that gmc has problems with this the switch on the dash. Do you think it could be that switch again? Have rechecked actuator switch and actuator and hoses. They are fine. Is there any way to check the switch on the dash?
    Try disconnecting the battery wait 5 minutes then reconnect.
    Already tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins. didn't work. One question, do you disconnect both positive and negative or just negative cable?
    I have to replace transfer case vacuum switch on my 99 jimmy which is located on the transfer case under the vehicle but do not know where it is located. Anyone have any idea where it is located or where I can get a diagram of the transfer case? Was told by someone they believed it was on top of transfer case. Haynes repair manual does not give diagram.
  • wareskwaresk Member Posts: 1
    My GMC Jimmy is a 4 button system with Autotrac. I just noticed that the front driveshaft is still turning in 2wd. I have checked the front axle and it is disengaged. I even put the transfer case into Neutral and the front and rear drive shafts are still attached? I've checked all functionalities of the transfer case motor and it seems to be working fine. Also, no flashing on buttons, everything seems to be operating normally. I'm just wondering if this is normal. I checked with a '98 Jimmy 3 button 4wd and the transfer case detaches the front drive shaft. I know this is a different transfer case so I'm wondering if this is normal?
  • jonjon510jonjon510 Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought a 75 Jimmy 4x4.. it has a couple leaks here and there but i continue to make sure i have fluid in everything.. the issue im having started about 3 days ago- ive been driving it for the last month and everything was fine, drove very smooth, but now wen im going about 15-40mph it starts to vibrate and gets worse the more i get on the gas. but wen i get past 35-40mph it stops vibrating and drives great like before.. i have no clue what it can be..if you have any tips for me i would love to here them, please email me at whyteboijon@yahoo.com

thanks for reading and replying,
    Jon
  • dan94jimmydan94jimmy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Any info would be greatly appreciated on this scenario I have. Just had a bunch of stuff done to the 4x4 on my 94. Just had the transfer case swapped out known good one,transfer case switch, vaccum actuator. Did this because the actuator ( I believe it was this one) was sucking tranny fluid from the trans any putting in transfer case. My bro in law has been a mechanic for 20 years and never seen this before. Removed acuator on transfer case and tranny fluid literally shot out like it was over filled by 2qts or more. So everything was replace except the switch on the dash. Coming home from picking it it was fine,2w was no problem. I went back out a few minutes later and go to the top of my street to pull out and you can here a small click kinda noise come from underneath near the transfer case when I was almost completely stopped. I go to pull out and it like its in 4wheel hi by itself. Takes up to 2000 rpms to get out of the street to the main street but drives fine when up and rolling but still at like 2000 rpm's to take off from a stop light. This was happening before everything else was replaced. If you turn it off and wait say a hour or less and come back out to drive its in 2 wheel drive again without touching anything. Main question is is it possible the switch on the dash is falty and able to engage 4w when the jimmy slows down, only does this after you are at a stop like a traffic light. Kinda annoying and don't want to ruin anything. 4wheel low works now with the newer transfer case. 4w hi I'm not sure being it won't go into it with the greenlight showing from a nuetral position while stopped. Does it have to be rolling to engage hi? Thanks for any help, Dan
  • dan94jimmydan94jimmy Member Posts: 2
    4w hi doesn't engage at all while rolling or stopped! Not sure what this prob could be. How much other stuff should I check on the Vac lines etc?
  • burly2burly2 Member Posts: 2
    Kyle,

I have the exact same issue. Did you ever find out what it was?

Ryan
  • burly2burly2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Jimmy that is stuck in 4wd Hi, although the front tires are not engaged. My problem is stated exactly in a previous question #172 & 174. The dash 4wd Hi light blinks when attemting to go into anything else but then just stays in 4wd Hi. Without stating the same issue over and over please read question #172 and if any one is able to pass on some advise that would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a 99 Jimmy was working fine and now 4wd won't engage. 4wd service idiot light came on. One min all lights are on the dash switch, next time none, and then maybe just the 2wd light. Changed the dash switch (with auto button), change actuator and actuator switch and hoses to actuator. Don't know if it is tccm. Does anyone know if the tccm switch is suppose to make a clicking sound when vehicle first starts? Mine does. Is there anyway to test the tccm switch? Any help is appreciated.
  • junkman26junkman26 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 jimmy, when you push the 4hi or 4lo the transfer case will lock in, but the front wheels will not pull. the vac. thing under the batt. always pulls on the cable even in 2hi it never release unless you pull off the vac hose. i have tried to pull more on the cable but it seems to be as far as it goes. im lost on this one this is the first 4wd i have had like this one. plz help thax
  • msnyc2umsnyc2u Member Posts: 3
    My Gmc Jimmy keeps cutting off on me, I can be crusing on the hwy, road and it will just shut down. I will let it sit apprx 30 sec - 1 min and it will start back just fine, but will cut off on me again, seems like when I press on the gas pedal it acts as if the gas is not getting to where it needs to go (when the truck cuts off the signal I get is the battery light comes on) it did this also before I bought a new battery. I have a also replaced the fuel filters and the multi fuel port injectors. Can someone please advise this woman on her vehicle before I spend another dime on it.
  • harryjoeharryjoe Member Posts: 2
    I recently had transmission replaced and now my 4 wheel drive won't engage. There is a hose hanging down from above tranny I cant see where it goes any help or info on where I can get a diagram that would be helpfull or if anyone has any ideas where it would go like the transmission

Thanks Joe
    Joe it sounds like the vacuum hose came off at the switch located on top of the transfer case. just push it back on and you should be able to engage your 4WD.
    There are two other hoses attached to the same switch just find the empty fitting and attach the hose.

You could also take it back where it was worked on and tell them to do it.

Goodyguy~
  • harryjoeharryjoe Member Posts: 2
    Yeah he didn't know where it went. Scary that's the guy put my tranny in
  • andys95gmcandys95gmc Member Posts: 1
    my 1995 gmc jimmy 4x4. I can put it in 4 wheel drive {hi or low} it sounds like it goes in but it does not. It even gears down like it is in but does not. the front wheels do not lock in. Please Help!!!
  • brsleeper2brsleeper2 Member Posts: 1
    2001 GMC Jimmy, vortec v6, 48,000 miles, no auto 4wd, only 3 button, sat for last 3 years, Wifes winter vehicle, immaculate condition. With that being said I have read pages and pages of posts and have not seen a description like the problem I am having....

Hit 4hi blinks and goes solid as it should, hear the thump but front wheels do not appear to engage ( drove in the wet grass, turned steering and hit the gas and she wants to blow a donut and front wheels do nothing), next I tried 4lo and appears to engage, but when gas is hit alittle it almost feels like the truck slips for a sec and then engages, or I should say feels like it, as I don;t wanna gun it in 4lo. Also let me add the 2wd works flawless.

Give me old chevy 2wd and I can tear it down and put it back together end from end, 4wd is something new... So any help would be greatly appreciated. Paying a mechanic is not a problem money wise... it is just really hard to bring myself to do it. :blush:
  • howie59howie59 Member Posts: 11
    Hello I have the same problems again after driving in 2 wheel drive all summer I went to put the truck into 4 hi and engage buttons [4] were not doing a thing except to blick beyond the 29 sec period that it should take? I have changed both hubs over a year ago I did all the things suggested except change the computer at a cost 600.00 which I dont have right now- untill I have more money I manages to get the truck into auto mode then pulled the fuses????????????? so far it seems engaged I wont know till snow comes? has this been done by anyone?
    I had the same problem. I was told to change the actuator, and the switch on the dash. Worked fine for a while and then wham it did the same thing again. So I took it to the chevy dealer and had them put it on the machine to determine what was wrong with the 4 wd and the machine came up with the encoder motor. Just replaced it and it is working the best it has ever worked. They are pricey but found a great supplier over the net for a third of the cost. My suggestion is to take it to a chevy dealer that can put it on the machine. Takes about an hour but it is worth the hassle. Hope this helps. If you would like the supplier I got the encoder motor from email me.
  • howie59howie59 Member Posts: 11
    please e-mail encoder motor supplier
    The phone number for the encoder is 321-777-2771. Jack is the one that helped me out. He might be able to help you with your problems.
  • msnyc2umsnyc2u Member Posts: 3
    My Gmc Jimmy keeps cutting off on me, I can be crusing on the hwy, road and it will just shut down. I will let it sit apprx 30 sec - 1 min and it will start back just fine, but will cut off on me again, seems like when I press on the gas pedal it acts as if the gas is not getting to where it needs to go (when the truck cuts off the signal I get is the battery light comes on) it did this also before I bought a new battery. I have a also replaced the fuel filters and the multi fuel port injectors. Can someone please advise this woman on her vehicle before I spend another dime on it., also it make this kind of 'changelink noise" when I press on the gas, and when AI sit at the light...Please Help...
  • dubbz50dubbz50 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Just bought a 96 GMC Jimmy from a dealer auction the other day for a winter vehicle and found out the first time I went to use the 4wd in a wet field that the 4wd didn't work. The light for the 4Hi comes on and you can hear it make a sound under the vehicle like it's transferring into 4wd but still doesn't work, when I push the 4Lo button all it does is flash and I can hear it under the vehicle transfer back to 2wd when I push the button for 2wd. What could cause the 4wd not to work when I can clearly hear it transferring back and forth from 2wd to 4wd.
  • jimmy2001jimmy2001 Member Posts: 1
    Problem is with 4wd computer on passenger side of car, under carpet next to door. Corrosion of contacts makes 4wd go crazy. Cost me 2000$ in miscellaneous BS to find this out!
  • 2bbows2bbows Member Posts: 1
    I have reviewed the posts, I can not find a match, any time I push a 4 wd button the lights start blinking and the 4wd does not engage, if i push 4w low you can hear the tc down shift, i have checked all the vacum lines and i am getting vacum to the switch on the firewall. Here is the what i have found if i ground the switch on the firewall the white wire i believe the 4wd engages and most of the time it stays engaged. It will return to 2wd any time i push the 2wd switch, I have a 99 jimmy with a 4 button 4X4, I have also checked the connection on the computer on the passenger firewall.

thanks mike
  • dubbz50dubbz50 Member Posts: 2
    That's funny you say that I just bought a transfer case control module for the passenger side today from a scrap yard, and sure enough.....it still didn't work. Is there a way to get the computer tested to see if it works before I go spending a fortune on a new one. So far i've replaced the transfer case control module, vacuum actuator, dash board switch, and I also found a vacuum plug on top of the transfer case not pluged in but still NO 4wd. What else could cause the 4wd not to work?
  • steve360steve360 Member Posts: 1
    2000 GMC Jimmy, vortex v6, SLE, 3-button 4wd, NP233, NP1.

I've read most of the postings and searched, but didn't see an experience quite like mine. Coming home from vacation, about 250 miles from home, cruising down the interstate at about 80 mph, (2wd of course), heard a faint clicking sound thru the ventilation system. As I slowed down to take the next exit, this became very, very loud. It reminded me of a playing card flicking in the spokes of a bicycle wheel, only metallic (metal on metal) and very loud, and slowed down and then quit as I came to a stop at the bottom of the exit ramp. The clicking returned as I drove to the nearest gas station, where I found this sound was coming from near the transfer case, louder on the passenger side, and occurred in both forward and reverse.

I drove from the gas station to a GM dealer, about a mile (clicking all the way). This is my first 4wd, so I'm not all that familiar with the 4wd workings, but if I understood the GM mechanic, he said my problem was that the encoder motor was bad - the clicking came from this part engaging and disengaging. He didn't have a replacement (thank god $$$), so he disconnected the vacuum line at the actuator located under the battery and plugged up the vacuum the line. I could get home, but 4wd was disabled.

Now, as I understand from reading the posts, the encoder motor is used to engage 4Lo. I don't off-road, nor do I tow anything heavy, so I don't really need 4Lo. And the encoder motor is rather expensive for me, so here's my question. Can I simply disconnect the wiring harness from the encoder motor and reconnect the vacuum line to the actuator located under the battery so that 2wd and 4Hi function without 4Lo capability? Would doing this throw off the TCCM and disable the 4X4 system altogether? I really only want to use 4Hi on pavement with snow/ice, in bad whether, and since the 4Hi engagement system is a vacuum/mechanical working, could I just disconnect the encoder motor AND the TCCM, or would this cause problems with the other computers? :confuse:
  • flyingbrickxjflyingbrickxj Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,
    Been reading up on the very many likely problems that could be causing a malfunction. This isn't my first 4wd, I drive a jeep xj and wheel it often, the jimmy is my mom's. Anyways, it being midnight, i just went out and unplugged the battery and let it sit for 30 mins. I could hear the sound from the disconnect, I'm assuming, its coming from under the dash, and the 4hi light flashed then went off. After 3 times or so of trying this the lights on the gear selectors dim then go off. I'm guessing there is a combo of Tccm and vacuum problems. But until tomorrow i won't know for sure. My question is, what would be causing the indicator lights to go out, is it more likely the tccm or the dash switch itself?
    Thanks for the help chevy electronics experts!
    Joe

Edit: Forgot to include vitals, its the np233, 3 button(why can't it just have my trusty 231 behind that 4L60?)
  • nljewellnljewell Member Posts: 21
    Hello all, i posted some questions in the past about having what I thought to be engine problems having to do with my 1999 Jimmy hesitating when engine was cold. After replacing everything I could think of on the engine to try to fix I decided to take it in to get a transmission test ran(which can be done for free). The tech said no codes were coming from the tranny but was getting one from the transfer case. Ended up being the tccm, moisture had gotten in there and corroded some of the connections. I went to a dealership to get a price and it would of cost me about $525, I said hell no so I went on ebay and got a brand new one for $200. I hope this saves someone some time and money.
  • rgoldsteinrgoldstein Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Jimmy that was blowing fuses when I pushed the 4 Hi button. It's been below zero lately so need 4wd. I started it and the 4 Lo button was engaged so I put it in neutral and pushed the 4 Hi and it just blinked, heard a clunking sound under the floor then nothing, still in 4 Lo. Cannot drive the car in this gear, how do I fix this problem?
    :confuse:
  • rgoldsteinrgoldstein Member Posts: 4
    Mechanic said the front left bearing had something to do with ABS light on? Also, when I push brakes they seem very stiff. What's that about?
    :confuse:
  • galwaygirl87galwaygirl87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 GMC Jimmy that makes an awful grinding noise in 2wd. Occasionally I'll be able to drive it in 2wd without the grinding noise, but as soon as I hit a bump it comes right back. I do not have these problems in 4wd. I had read it might be a gear in the front differential that is burred, but I have also been told it might be the transfer case. I was wondering which of these is more likely to be the cause of my problems. Any help would be great.
  • spratz25spratz25 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriends Jimmy won't shift from 4wd - 2wd. The light on the 4wd button is on, i press 4lo and it just flashes. When I press 2wd the light won't do anything, and I can hear it clicking and grinding. I put the truck in drive and the speedo takes off like I'm driving but it will not move. I unplugged the wiring harness from the transfer case, and still acts like its in neutral. I don't get these damn Electronic Transfer Case things.. Does any body know anything?