Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Jimmy 4WD Problems

Comments

• timbur47timbur47 Member Posts: 1
    Will a 2000 jimmy transfer case fit in a 1998 jimmy?
  • kmiller4kmiller4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this truck for about a month now and it seems as though it's having trouble running when I start it in the morning it runs like a deisle when you first start it in the cold, when idleing at a red light the whole truck rocks like it's going to stall but it hasn't stalled yet...can any one help I don't know alot about these jimmy's
    thanks
  • jimmy1920jimmy1920 Member Posts: 1
    ok i have a 2001 gmc jimmy with a 4 button 4wd. my problem is ill be driving down the road and ill put it into 4wd and it will go in and everything and a couple seconds later my service 4wd light will come on. i will push the 2hi button to try and put it back into 2wd and nothing happens. if it turn my truck off and start it back up i can put it back into 2wd. then if i put it back into 4wd the service 4wd light will come on again until i turn my truck off and restart it. what is going on?????
  • kingstonsman53kingstonsman53 Member Posts: 44
    caryb1 [(howie59] please e-mail encoder motor supplier
  • caryb1caryb1 Member Posts: 11
    Purchased the encoder motor from www.autopartsdirecttoyou.com. I personally spoke with Jack and he was a very big help and very knowledgable. On the site I believe there is a telephone number or a email address you can email too and they will in return call you. Make sure you leave your email address and telephone number. Hope this helps you.
  • bdwranglerbdwrangler Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem your having. I'm curious if you found the root cause to the problem.
    does abs light on cause problems with four wheel drive problems in 1998 jimmy. changed dash switch and encoder motor. vaccume acuator under battery and cable for acuator .four wheel works now but dont want to go from four high to two unless i cut off ignition first then go to two wheel. light just blinks then goes back to four high unless i cut off ignition first before i changed the switch wouldn't even go in four wheel drive but switch worked like it was. It is driving me crazy. Help me if you can
    Having same problem with my 1998 jimmy. I didnt even have four wheel drive untill i changed the dash switch now button wont work from four high to two high till i cut the motor off then i can switch it back to two high. tell me how you fixed this thanks and i will tell you how i fixed mine later
    I got one from NAPA Autoparts just 25 dollars hope this helps
    cable goes from acuator to front differential. cost about 25 dollars at nappa autoparts. thats where i got mine
    four wheel drive is supposed to work anytime on ground or not. let me see. did you check acuator under battery. make sure cable from front differential is not sticking. I had a bad cable and it pulled out of the acuator. made a popping noise.make sure your cacume switch on transfer case is not sticking . but sounds like you have vacumn problems.
    Had a lot of trouble this year with four wheel drive on 1998 jimmy. had to changed acuator acuator shift cable for acuator and encoder motor for transfer case, didn't have four wheel drive at times. changed dash switch. four wheel drive works good but now dont want to shift from four high to two high. have to cut ignition off then back on to get it to shift back to two high. How can i fix this. reboot by taking off battery posts or do i need a part all vacum parts are new and have new vacum lines dont know what else to do help me if you can.
    do I need to change front axle sensor switch in dash dont want to shift from four high to two high in 1998 jimmy. changed switch in dash and acuator under battery shift cable and encoder motor on transfer case. before i changed switch didn't have four wheel drive but switch worked before i changed to new one. Do I have to unhook post from battery and wait ten minutes or what. Can anyone help on this?This winter has brought out the worst in my jimmy four wheel drive. Good thing it worked when I had to drive in 20 inch snow.
    my 98 jimmy wouldnt go into four high but lights on switch said it was. I changed acuator. acuator shift cable. encoder motor on transfer case and does go into four high now after I changed the dash switch. It fixed it but now it dont want to shift from four high to two high unless i cut ignition off then it will switch back to two high ok thanks if this helps but im still trying to figure this out
    my 98 jimmy doing the same thing only it will go into four high then dont want to change into two high light just blinks goes back to four high. i have to cut off ignition then try to get it back to two high. im afraid im going to get stuck in four high. I think i will have to change the encoder motor on transfer case. How did you fix yours
    mine is doing the same thing sticks in four high dont want to shift to two high. I have to cut off ignition switch and wait awhile then go to two high or some times go from four low to two high before it will disengage. can anyone help me figure this out all vacume lines ok acuator and shift cable are new. changed encodermotor but maybe its going bad too. I didnt even have four high till i changed dash switch
    mine is doing the same thing i have 1998 jimmy had to change dash switch before four high word work. now dont want to shift from four high to two high. do i need front differential sensor too. need help
  • kadkinskadkins Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Jimmy with the 3 button 4wd switch on the dash. When I try to change it from 2wd to 4wd or vice versa, it blows the fuse under the hood. But this ONLY happens when it is hot outside, after driving for a few minutes. After it cools off, I can change the fuse and it works fine, until it gets hot again. I didn't have one problem with it all winter...I could drive it all day and it would still change just fine with no blown fuses. So far I have changed the vacuum hoses, checked the electrical connections to the TCCM, and changed the actuator vacuum motor under the battery. Since I cannot get up my 450ft driveway without 4wd, it is pretty important that I get this fixed quickly. Any suggestions?
    mine is doing the same thing only WHEN I PUT IT IN 4 HIGH IT DONT WANT TO GO BACK IN 2 HIGH. GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS. I PUT A NEW DASH SWITCH IN BEFORE THAT I DIDNT EVEN HAVE FOUR HIGH. BUT THE DASH BUTTON SAID I DID.
    anyone know why my push button switch on dash dont want to shift from four high to two high. put new dash switch in. and acuator under battery and shift cable. what else do i need. would not go into four high till i changed dash switch.
    mine is doing the same thing 1998 jimmy dont want to shift from 4 high to 2 high. I changed dash switch acuator and acuator cable. but didnt have 4 high till i changed dash switch. thats when it didnt want to shift from 4 high to 2 high. what else do i need to change
    Anyone know who makes wiring harness for transfer case. My 1998 jimmy dont want to shift from 4 high to 2 high. Have to keep switching the switch and cut ignition off at times. I think I have narrowed it down to the wiring harness. gonna try that nest. Hope someone know how to fix this. I changed acuator. shift cable. vacume switch on transfer case and changed encoder motor and checked front axle shift sensor. Whats next
  • jt88jt88 Member Posts: 1
    hi i was just wondering if you ever figured out your issue with your jimmy because i have a 99 jimmy with similar issues just wondering if you could email me back to give me some tips about this that would be apreciated

thanks temple_88@hotmail.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me back

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I guess I have narrowed my problem down to the connector on the encoder motor on the transfer case. Everything else seems ok. Wiring harness problems will be my next step. But the weather is better now so I don't need 4 wheel drive till winter. WILL let you know what I find out.
    The best thing I can think of making it vibrate is your drive shaft u joints. Check those being a 75 model I'M pretty sure thats probably the problem.
    hey mine was doing the same thing this winter. Leaving me spinning in two wheel drive. I changed acuator under battery. acuator cable to front differential and transfercase encoder motor . and still didnt have four wheel drive some times. then I changed dash switch and now it dont want to shift from four high to 2 high. But thank god I had four wheel drive when I needed it. Now I think its in the wiring harness to the transfer case motor . gonna try to see if that does anything. this winter has cost me hundreds. let you know if this fixed mine
    Try a dash switch to see if that works. mine didnt want to go into four wheel drive till i changed it but i think my wiring harness is bad. let you know it that was my problem
  • woods12woods12 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a wiring diagram for 1994 GMC Jimmy for the 4wd drive system, vacuum and electrical would be great, anyone have such a thing.
    Koz you need a acuator front axle shift cable. can get one from napa about 25 dollars. thats where I got mine. hope this will help
  • wnekwnek Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my 4x4 in my jimmy, this is the model with 4
    button 4x4 dash console,I had been without 4x4 for a bout 7 months and
    finally came across a part I needed which was the TCCM computer, after
    replacing it my 4x4 started working ..., it worked for about 1.5 months
    and I am having issues with it again.,
    what is happening when I first installed the TCCM I heard 2 clicks from
    the box upon the ignition start and the 4x4 was working great shifting
    all modes, however after a while my service 4x4 light came on again and
    I was stuck in 4 hi, after checking the connection to TCCM replugging it
    I was able to free my truck off 4 hi to 2.
    Now I am scared to even switch , I noticed upon te ignition start the
    TCCM now clicks 4 time and goes into blank mode showing "service 4x4"
    dash light..., I am gonna inspect all the hoses today and the vaccuum
    actuator, I also tried to clear the computer unplugging the battery for
    more than 1 hour...., can anyone help , what do the 4 clicks coming from
    TCCM mean ??? ,
    Could that be some electrical problem ??? I also noticed that in my
    Jimmy when I turn the ignition half way to get the dash on with the
    radio the TCCM engages and then when I start the engine it resets and
    engages again.. , is that normal ??, how many clicks should the TCCM
    make on vehicle start, when it was workinig it made 2 clicks upon
    ignition start and again 2 clicks upon engine start, now its double at
    each stage and it goes into the service 4x4 mode...
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Andrew
    My 98 jimmy gave me a fit this winter. Found out it was the encoder motor on the transfer case, Hope next winter will spare us all the trouble. Thanks for the help in this chat room. Kingstonsman
  • torontotonytorontotony Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 jimmy ,I noticed the lights on the 2wd 4hi 4 lo buttons were not lighting up and when I change to 4wd nothing happens could this be a electricial problem ?
    my problem was the encoder motor on the transfer case was not working maybe this is your problem too. My dash switch said i had four hi but i didn't then it wouldn't go back to two high. changed the encoder motor now works fine. Hope it works good this winter. thanks
  • torontotonytorontotony Member Posts: 2
    hi well today i also noticed the inside lights are not working as well . i checked the fuses inside the truck and all are good I am goin to test under hood fuses as soon as i get a test light (in am) thanks
  • birdlady41465birdlady41465 Member Posts: 1
    I am fixing my jimmy and need to know what a part is callled to order it no one seems to know what I am talking about. It is about 2 ft long the driver side axle bolts on it and has to do with changing gears in 4wd and have to keep grease in it. Does anyone know what I am trying to find out the name of it. maybe even a picture to let me know I am looking for the right thing?
  • tracy5410tracy5410 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 96 Jimmy. Did you find out what the problem was?
  • sheitfieldsheitfield Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 gmc jimmy shifts from 2 wheel to 4 wheel lo but not to 4 wheel hi . anybody know why
    I had a lot of trouble last winter. It was my transfer case motor not working right. But you could have other problems too. Like the front axle shift cable sticking. Mine stuck and burnt up my transfer case motor. Or encoder motor as they call it. Good luck fixing it. A couple months from now you will probably need your four wheel drive. Kingstonsman out
    IT WAS THE ENCODERMOTOR ON THE TRANSFER CASE. DROVE ME CRAZY SOMETIMES ID HAVE IT THEN SOMETIMES I DIDN'T . NOW I GOT IT FIXED
  • tar99tar99 Member Posts: 7
    My 1997 GMC won't engage 4wd. The transfer case will engage low gear, the lights on the dash switch light up (2wd is burned out but 4lo and 4hi will light and stay constant when pressed). The front drive shaft definitely turns. There is vacuum at the acutator, and the cable pulls with an audible click.

There is still no 4wd. Is there a problem in the differential? If so, is there something specific I should look for?
  • bluerobbybluerobby Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    i checked a few posts and the easiest step was to undo positive battery post for 30 mins. I left it for an hour and all works great now. better then it's ever been.and it even got rid of my check engine light.... cheapest fix ever! it resets the computer apparently
  • sd961860sd961860 Member Posts: 2
    You need to change the TTCM under the dash
    My friend usually when you have trouble engageing 4 wheel drive It is the motor on the transfer case. Mine went out last winter. It went into four wheel but I didn't have it. I had trouble with the front axle shift cable. It stuck and burnt up my encoder motor. Changed the cable and encoder motor and all works well. I stop now and put it in neutral before shifting in fear of straining the motor. Hope this helps. Check it out
    I tried the 30 minute battery disconnect and unbelievably it worked, cheapest fix ever and dealership reset radio for free!
  • el_jefeel_jefe Member Posts: 1
    As I see 4x4 problems are all too common in these trucks. Today I put my 2001 Jimmy into 4hi, all the lights on the four button controller blinked, the 4 wheel drive engaged. Once engaged, all of the lights on the dash swith went out and the service 4x4 light came on. Now, i'm stuck in 4 hi and none of the buttons work. Checked all the hoses I could see and replaced a few and also tried the battery disconnect trick, but these were no help. Where do you all think I should head next? I've read through the posts here and am just lost as to where to start.
  • cjtvcjtv Member Posts: 1
    Stuck in 4wd hi and will not get out. When I hit the 2wd button nothing happens (you do not hear anything and it does nothing).

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
    disconnect battery for 1 hour, you'll have to reset radio at dealership but it fixed all my problems
    i got lucky.... hope it works for you!
  • dobo1dobo1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 1998 GMC Jimmy with the 3-button switch. My problem is that everything switches fine. 4Hi 4lo no problem. However, when it gets too much torque or slips on the ice, it kicks out of $WD. I replaced the cable, acutator under the battery and the swith on the transmission, but that didnt' help. Could it be the encoder motor?
  • natrobb35natrobb35 Member Posts: 1
    When I go to put my jimmy in 4wd the push button light will go on and I think that I can hear the transfercase engage but still only the rear wheels will spin. It dosent ever get stuck in any particular gear it just says that it is in 4high but the front wheels will not spin. Getting really annoyed with this being winter in Canada and all, what's the point of a 4x4 if it dosent work ... Any sugestions would be greatly apreciated