Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi Q7 Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing an Audi Q7. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• trabd123trabd123 Member Posts: 55
    Hi Car_man,
    The Audi dealer in NY faxed me the following lease numbers two months ago for an Audi Q7 4.2:

12k/36 months: $735.13
    10k/36 months: $720.61
    MSRP: $54,520

The initial payment includes: $575 Bank Fee, 1st Month Payment, MV Fees and NY taxes.
    NOTE: AUDI HAS WAIVED SECURITY DEPOSIT OF LEASES CONTRACTED BY 5/31/06.

This car has the Technology package, 4 zone climate control and XM Satellite Radio.

I think he came up with the numbers above based on the A6 3.2q lease numbers. Do these numbers make any sense to you and am I getting a good deal here?

Thanks,
    TARBD123
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Which Audi dealer was this? What availability do they have or expect to have? In other words, when can you have that car they quoted?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Welcome to this new discussion, trabd123. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month, 12,000 mile per year lease of a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 are .00115 and 58%, respectively. The money factor for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year would be the same, but the residual value would increase to 59%. The selling price of the Q7 that you want will depend upon its selling price. Since this is a brand new model that just began to trickle into dealers, for now I will assume that you are paying full MSRP for the one that you want. Correct me if I am wrong. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 with an MSRP and a selling price of $54,520 through Audi Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $736. The payment for an identical lease with only 10,000 miles per year would drop to around $721. As you can see, the payments that I came up with are right in line with the ones that you were quoted. I am sure that you would be able to get this truck for well below full MSRP if you waited a few months to get one, but if you want to be the first on the block to have a Q7 you will have to pay more.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks very much for this valuable info. The lease of my BMW x5 will terminate by the beginning of next month and I need a 7 seats car. I have to choose between either lease an Audi Q7, buy 06 Cadillac Escalade or extend my current BMW x5 lease for another six month to get into the Audi Q7 or the new BMW x5. What do you think the best choice?

Thanks,
    trabd123
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    a huge Audi fan. That said I might be a little leery of any first year German model. I think if you have a good relationship with the dealer this can nullify that issue. The other thing is that I wouldn't expect much if any discount on this new model.
    Having said all that I would still buy the Q7 over any other model in it's category. I have been to the Audi mountain, and the mountain is good. I suggest trying to extend the lease on your X5 and see what things look like in 6 months. I have driven both the Q7 and the escalade and their is no comparison IMO.
    Whatever you do, good luck and let us know how you did.
    from the dealer today. No discount will be given on the Q7 until Sept. or maybe later if Q7 sales go well in the next few months. Also, my wife wasn't so happy about the 3rd row seat. It's designed for young kids or anyone around 5'3". We are completely changing gears now and leasing an Audi A6 3.2q. We're getting a $675 a month (taxes in payment) for 12k/36 months with only first payment and bank fee up front. The MF and RS are 0.000611 and 53% and the sell price is $46,100 for an MSRP of 49,160. The sell price includes a $1000 loyalty for BMW customer. What do you think of this lease number?

Thanks,
    TRABD123
    What bothers me about the third row seat is not so much the legroom (most of these SUV third rows are only good for kids or short trips for small adults). The problem I see is that with the third row up, there is almost no trunk space behind that row. The headrests are within a couple inches of the tailgate (questionable safety?). My XC90 has a useable area (about 18" deep) back there when the third row is in use.
    You're very welcome, trabd123. I don't know if you have seen the Q7 in person yet, but if you haven't you definitely should check it out. Most Audi dealers just started to get them in a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice truck. Its current lease program is very similar to the one that BMW is running on the '06 X5, so which one is more expensive will all boil down to price. In your post you mentioned the 2006 Cadillac Escalade, however I personally would much rather have the redesigned 2007 Escalade. It is a really nice truck and a dramatic improvement over the '06 model, which already was a pretty good vehicle. You really can't go wrong with the Q7, X5, or '07 Escalade. They're all nice trucks.

Car_man
    Host
  • tlevytlevy Member Posts: 1
    Is the Money Factor still .00115 today (5-27-06)at Audi Financial?
  • bwedotnetbwedotnet Member Posts: 48
    Can anyone confirm the Audi money factor and residuals (36mo/15K) for June 2006? Will be picking up my Q7 in a couple of weeks and would like to run the numbers. Thanks.
  • anumoluanumolu Member Posts: 11
    Is it the right time if looking for a good deal on the Audi Q7 or wait for few more months?. I asked the dealer to work and let me know if $3500/down + $599/mth on a $54,520 can be do-able on 15k/yr for a 36m lease, I think the above may go up to $100/mth more lets see. They have given me a drive appointment this Wed 6/7/06, Had I really liked the vehicle and want to get it now, whats the best leasing payments you would suggest?. pls let me know.
    Hi Anumolu:

I am no expert but $599/mo seems optimistic. I ran the numbers on a $55K purchase price 0.00117 money factor, $3000 down, 56% residual (36mo/15K). The monthly rate was approx $790 including tax. $733 before taxes.

NOTES:
    1. Assumes MSRP = Purchase Price. I doubt you'll get a discount off of MSRP right now
    2. Money Factor assumes 2.8% Audi special lease rate is still valid for June
    Yes, Audi Financial Services' .00115 money factor for the 2007 Q7 is good through July 5th.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello bwedotnet. If you were to lease a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2L (not the Premium model) through Audi Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00115 and 56%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi anumolu. I don't think that the first couple of months after a brand new model is introduced is ever the best time to get a good deal. Dealers try to hold onto their grosses on new models for as long as possible. Having said this, Audi's lease program for the Q7 isn't bad. So if you are able to find a dealer that will give you one for a reasonable price, leasing one right now is not that bad. Rather than focusing on the payment for the Q7 that you want, focus on the two negotiable aspects of your deal - this truck's selling price and the money factor that is used to calculate its lease payment. If you negotiate an attractive selling price and use its buy rate lease money factor, its payment will take care of itself. FYI, Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the '07 Q7 is .00115.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car_man:

Thanks a lot for confirming. I am scheduled to pick my Q7 up in a week or so. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • wadamspadwadamspad Member Posts: 1
    Although pricing has not yet been released on the Q7 3.6 FSI, any speculation on what residual values/money factors for standard and premium versions will look like? Especially as compared to the 4.2 FSI numbers -- higher/lower RV's, same MF's, etc...

Also, what would be the best way to negotiate on 3.6 pre-orders at this point?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I doubt you're going to get any substantial discount off a 3.6 in the next 6 months. With limited production of the V6's, they'll probably be in short supply for a while as they come in the late summer/early fall.

The 3.6's may indeed be more popular than the 4.2's in some parts of the country with the way gas prices are, and just overall cost of the 3.6's probably being 5-6k less expensive.

It's hard to say as nobody has driven a 3.6 yet, and how they'll be in power department. I think that's the biggest factor in how they'll sell.
    Thank you "car_man & bwedotnet". heres the deal I got from the dealer and Q7 is to go. NoDiscount-SP=$58,770 , $5000 down, $590/m, 12k/y on 36m lease. Based on your suggested numbers I think I got a reasonable deal. I am working on 15K/y bargain for a $30 more instead. Lets see...
    Now comming to test drive experience and looks, I enjoyed the driving feel of Mercedes GL450 than this Audi Q7. However the interior, exterior, pickup of Audi while changing lanes on highway seemed lot better to me. Overall based on the deal I got from the dealer I am inclined for the Audi Q7 deal. Before I go ahead, Can one you give me your final suggestion pls, will highly appreciate it.
    My suggestion: never put money down on a lease. One of the worst financial moves you can make.
    Hi Anumolu:

My only feedback would be to not put down such a large deposit. There are many reasons for this which have been discussed many times on the numerous Edmunds 'Lease Questions' forums.

I know it is nice to have lower monthly payments but it really is just an illusion since you are basically just 'prepaying' the incremental difference in payment compared to if you put $0 down.

I have not driven the GL but my sister-in-law has one and thinks it is great. The GL styling does nothing for me however. It's just another boxy (but nice) SUV.
    I will buy that suggestion on lowering the down $ to 1400/-so that total monthly is $690/- for 12K/Year. what do you think about the deal, impressive or have I some room left for bargain?. If the Dealer can work it out I am thinking to commit for $1400 down, $715/m , 15K/Year, not sure yet.
  • gosharksgosharks Member Posts: 2
    If we assume agreed sales prices will drop in time, doesn't it make more sense to lease than to purchase at this time, and pay an agreed depreciation; then later renegotiate the residual value when the lease matures, and production has caught up with demand? Unless of course you have no interest in keeping the vehicle, in which case all that matters is the difference between the capitalized cost and the residual value.
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken. For example, does the predicted residual value change (higher percent) as the average captilized cost drops? This would result of course in equalizing RV across the sales period. Sorry if this is too confusing.
    You're not getting the point. Do not put down any money on a lease.

Take that $1400 and put it in an account somewhere (bank, mutual fund, whatever). Your lease payment will be about $40 higher. You can take the $40 from the account every month to make the car payment. At the end of the lease, the account should have a little left from the interest you earned.

Main reason to do this is in case that lease doesn't go to maturity. If your car is stolen or totalled, that down payment is stolen with it. Same problem if you want to get out of the lease early.

Never, ever, put money down on a lease. There is absolutely no good reason to do so.
    OK, I am picking up my Q7 later today. Here's the lease deal I was offered (after I haggled a bit):

Term/Miles: 36/15K
    MF: 0.00125
    Residual: 56%
    MSRP/Price Paid: $54070
    Inception Fees: $1929
    Downpayment: $0 ($0 drive off)
    Monthly Lease Payment: $824.13 + tax (~$73/mo)

It seems like a fair deal. I will post dealer details and recommendations after I close the deal.
    What are "Inception Fees"? $1929 sounds pretty steep for the usual bank fee, registration, etc.
    Hi:

I had the dealer break down the inception fees, everything was inline with what it should be. Keep in mind it includes the first month payment. My drive off was $0 (the only way to go).

Final deal details:

Term: 36/15K
    MSRP/Price: $54070/$54070 (no discount off MSRP of course)
    Inception Fees: $2003
    Residual: 56% ($30279)
    MF: 0.0125 (3%)
    Drive-off: $0
    Total payment with taxes (7.75%): $888/mo

All in all I am happy with the deal and the wife loves the car (it is an awesome vehicle).
    EDIT: the MF was 0.00125 not 0.0125.
    You've very welcome, bwedotnet. Talk to you then.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
    Hi anumolu. You never mentioned this car's MSRP. This is an important number because it shows if you are bring given any sort of discount and it will enable me to calculate what its monthly payment should be using Audi's actual lease program. For now I can tell you that $5,000 is way too much money to put down when leasing. If your leased Q7 is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, your down payment essentially disappears. You can and should lease this truck without making any sort of capitalized cost reduction.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • audiguy2audiguy2 Member Posts: 9
    Ordered my Q7 today. Premium, S-Line, Side Assist & Towing Package.

Term/Miles: 36/12K
    MF: 0.00115
    Residual: 57% ($36377)
    MSRP/Price Paid: $63820/$62820
    Total Up-fronts: $1935.97 (including 1st month's payment
    Downpayment: $0
    Monthly Lease Payment: $849.10 + tax (~$60/mo)

Also, my dealer said the the residuals are 1% lower on the Premium (would have been 58% on the non-Premium). Not sure if he's just trying to make more money, but I'm still happy with the deal.
    The residuals are lower on the premium models as your dealer stated. The residual % is one thing the dealers can not mess with to get more profit out of the deal as it is a set number up front. The deal looks good, congrats. When do you take delivery?
    That's good to hear. This will be the third car (my A6 and my fiancé's Touareg) in four years we've bought from him, so I tend to trust him.

He won't have an ETA until the actual order confirmation is received, but he was guessing mid-September. I'll know more next week and keep everyone posted.

Thanks for all of the good info on this site, it's makes the process go so much smoother.
  • realbillrealbill Member Posts: 4
    Audiguy...I'm in Louisiana and am considering a Q7 with the same options and MSRP as yours. What exterior color did you choose with the black S Line interior? I like the Garnet Red or Condor Gray. Where can I find detailed pics of the Q7 with the S Line option in those colors? I'm nervous to order a color that I have never seen the actual truck in. In your opinion what are the best exterior colors for the S Line interior? I also need to be able to tow my 24' boat (4500 lbs) with it, what are you going to tow? My Touareg just does not do the job. I'll be going to the dealer tomorrow to get there lease numbers. Both dealers in my area only have a Lava Gray to look at. Are the MF and Residual numbers still good thru July? Sorry for asking so many questions at one time, but knowledge is power!
    I'm in Georgia (equally hot) and I always get white vehicles. However, I wasn't fond of the Calla White in the Q7, so I ordered the Daytona Gray Pearl Effect. It's absolutely gorgeous in person (I've seen it on an S8 and RS6). I have not seen the Q7 in this color, but I'm fairly confident that I'll like it. I think all colors, except maybe the green, will look great with the black interior (IMHO).

I occasionally tow a boat of about the same weight and have never had an issue with our V8 Touareg. In general I'm towing a large utility trailer with 4-wheelers and bikes. I think it's spec'd to tow around 7000 lbs, whereas the Q7 is spec'd to tow 6500 lbs. However, with the additional torque and HP, maybe the Q7 will actually be a better tow vehicle.

If you go to the Audi UK site, you can see the S-Line in a multiple colors (though not Daytona Gray - arrgghh!!). The site is not as elegant and simple as the US site, but it will give you a look at different colors, albeit in lo-res.

I think the MF and residuals are good through July 5th. I doubt they'll change the residuals much, but they could very well change the MF. Good luck and let everyone know how you make out.
    I think the Q7 looks best in a silver color. My wife is not a fan of silver however so we got her Q7 in Calla White - which is very nice also. With the 20" wheels it looks awesome - very aggressive and sporty for such a big truck.
    Yeah, actually what I meant to say was that I liked the Q7 in Calla White, but not the S-line - it was just too much white.
    Does anyone have any pics of the interior and exterior of the S Line in any color? Thanks!
    I thought that we (US Customers) couldn't order the S-line and the Adaptive Air Suspension. However, it will let me do it on the www.audiusa.com site and I have a 2007 Order Guide (from the dealer) and it does not say that one option excludes the other. Financing was delayed, as I'm doing it through an S-Corp (which they really didn't want to do), but since they've not received an order confirmation yet, my salesman says we can still change the order. So, I'd like to add the Suspension and the Rear Side Airbags (basically everything except the Adaptive Cruise Control). Here's the new deal:

Residual: 57% ($38058)
    MSRP/Price Paid: $66770/$65670
    Total Up-fronts: $1973 (including 1st month's payment
    Monthly Lease Payment: $887 + tax (~$62/mo)
    Officially ordered yesterday.

Residual: 57% ($38058)
    MSRP/Price Paid: $66770/$65770
    Total Up-fronts: $2000 (including 1st month's payment, tag, dealer fee, etc...)
    Monthly Lease Payment: $888.31 + tax (~$62/mo)

Gave the $2000 up-fronts as a deposit. Put it on my Amex to get Delta Skymiles (as well as added protection). The order and pricing is in writing, and they provided me with the Audi commission number, which is the order number.

PLEASE don't tell me that Audi started offering better rates or higher residuals today!! I'm happy with the deal.
    Congratulations! Should be awesome. What color combination and options did you get in addition to the Preminum Package. I read that Audi will have 21" wheels (S-Line only) and an I-Pod / MP3 adaptor available for September deliveries. How long before you take delivery?
    Can't comment on the residual, but a money factor of 0.00115 translates to an interest rate of 2.76%. That's pretty good by any measure. I doubt Audi would be offering much less than that today.

Personally, I would like to see a higher residual than 57%. These luxury 7-seat SUV's have held their value very well, particularly the Volvo XC90 and Lexus GX. Many affluent families are looking for an alternative to the minivan, and they have the money to spend, but there are just not many options out there. That's why Audi put the third row in the Q7, why BMW is adding one to the X5, and why Mercedes introduced the GL.

Audi has a real opportunity here. Along with the GL, the Q7 is the new kid in town, and it seems to have the goods to compete. With the new Acura and BMW coming out in a few months, Audi should do what it can to get the Q7 on the streets in noticable numbers. They should run a high residual, short term, low mileage lease program. Lexus did this when they first introduced the 1990 LS sedan. They offered a 2 year lease with an 81% residual. People traded in their S-class, 7-series, and other high-end cars to try the Lexus. It was a huge success. Word of mouth spread among the wealthy that this new Lexus was outstanding. The rest is history. Audi has that same opportunity now. If they offer a 2 year low mileage lease with, let's say, 75% residual, they will move a lot of Q7's. These wealthy folks will spread the word of how great the Q7 is, and when other buyers are looking for this type of vehicle in the coming months, Audi will be ahead of the Acura and BMW rollouts. In two years, Audi will have a supply of low mileage 2-year-old Q7's, which will certainly be attractive on the pre-owned market.
    I ordered the Daytona Gray Pearl Effect w/black interior (only choice on the S-line), Side Assist, Towing Package, Air Suspension, Rear Side Airbags, S-line, Sirius (no charge option), 6 seater config. Basically everything except the Adaptive Cruise Control.

Where did you read that about the 21" wheels? I REALLY want them, but they just became available in the UK - no word on US. I wish I could wait for the iPod/MP3 too, but that's not as important to me.

The dealer is guessing mid September delivery.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Audi is already back-ordered on Q7's and there are shortages in many parts of the country. I don't see how they would need to stick their neck out too far and put a super high residual on a vehicle new to the market when it's doing so well to start with.

If you can lease a premium 4.2 model Q7 (low 60's MSRP) with practically every option and be in the low 800's payment wise with not much mony down, I don't think that's a bad deal.
    Stopped by Audi of Huntington in NY to check on availability and potential pricing. Salesman showed me the incoming board and found an incoming 3.6 Premium with comfort package (standard), convenience, technology, and infotainment packages, 3rd row seat, and 4 zone heating. Basically, a fully loaded 6-cylinder model (no sunroof, though). He checked their new pricing charts (he says they arrived today), and worked up the following numbers for me:

MSRP $54,660
    Cap cost $53,346 (note that is below sticker)
    36 month lease, 10K miles (my request)
    61% residual
    .00155 money factor
    Bank fee and 8.625% sales tax rolled into payment
    Monthly payment $777.34
    Due at signing only first payment and DMV fees. There is a $749 security deposit, but he believes Audi will waive it for me as an existing customer (I have a current VW loan for my wife's Passat). He said no guarantee, but worst case I'll have to come up with the deposit. No big deal.

This seems to me like a great deal. A 61% residual is very generous, and that MF works out to only 3.7%. And the deal is for $1300 less than sticker. All for the 3.6 Premium, which I expect will be in even higher demand than the other models.

I put down a $500 deposit, got it all in writing, and I have about 2 months to think it over (estimated arrival September). I have been assured that not only is that money fully refundable, but if the lease terms improve, I will get the better deal. If they get worse, I am guaranteed to get the terms above. In short, I have nothing to lose, and I have locked up first dibs on that car. By the way, it is Condor Gray with Limestone Gray interior.

Any comments or questions?
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    What is the Daytona Gray Pearl Effect? Is that the same as Lava-Gray? I do not see the daytona gray on the audi q7 website? if you click on the first picture there, that shows the available colors, and i do not see daytona gray listed...http://www.audiusa.com/model_gallery/0,3525,bodyStyleId-17_area-1_subar- ea-1_mediaId-70004024476,00.html?bodystyle=q7
    What was the base price for the 3.6 and the pricing for the various options?
    Daytona Gray Pearl Effect is a S-line only color option. I agree, it's not on the Audi US website, but it can be ordered. You can see it on the Audi Germany site, or check the links below. I haven't seen the color on a Q7 yet, but I've seen it in person on an RS6 and the S8. It's nice, IMHO. I don't believe the color has been offered on a non-RS or non-S car before. Check out:

http://www.audiworld.com/features/tests/d3s8.shtml
    http://forums.audiworld.com/lrqc/msgs/51454.phtml
    http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/19478/dsc01112.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/shauncox/rs6
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Wow! that is a very nice color (even nicer cars)! Too bad it only comes with the S-line package... About to order a Condor Grey Q7. I like the Quartz Grey more, except for the fact that is has a white-ish color bottom trim, where as the Condor Grey has a matte finish grey trim. Would definetly get the Daytona if it was available without the S-Line package.
  • newq7newq7 Member Posts: 21
    Hi Folks:

I'm in the process of negotiating to buy a pair of Audi Q7 Premium's loaded to the gills. I've talked to several dealers. One just offered to sell the cars for $500 over "invoice" each.

When it came time to begin writing up the contracts, 2 new charges miraculously appeared. One is called “NY Upstate Dealer Advertising Group” for $300, and the other is called “Preparation and Inspection” at $195.

I’ve searched here and Consumer Reports and can not find either of these charges listed. The dealer is insisting that these are both charges that the dealership pays and that they are billed by the manufacturer. He even gave me a copy of another Q7’s invoice that does in fact show both charges. That invoice carries a notice on the bottom that reads “Prices illustrated above are subject to change prior to drafting and final shipment”.

I had arrived at a price by simply adding up the wholesale price of the car and each option selected and then adding the “Destination Charge”. I thought that by simply adding another $500 I’d have the price of the car. These "extra charges" adds another $495 to the deal.

Re these charges for real – or is it a scam?

Does the manufacturer rebate this to the dealers to allow them more profit – beyond invoice – in a manner like holdback?

By the way, I’m told that Audi does not do “holdback”. Edmund’s site shows none. There appear to be no promotions available for Q7’s yet. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.