Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gummibear737gummibear737 Posts: 4
    edited March 2012
    2013 gl is out this fall. If you want an idea of how it looks just google merc gl 2013 and there's plenty of spy photos. There are some cosmetic changes (headlights, sportier front) but overall it retains alot of style elements. It is still a big somewhat angular car and the back is still boxy.

If you want the larger (10k) discount i can recommend a number of approaches. First off is use patience to your advantage. They need to move the 2012s and the more you wait the more likely they will crack. Also, use the fact that factory orders are no longer possible to your advantage. Multiple visits to dealer help. The more time dealer spends with you, the more they will feel the psychological need to make a deal. Wait them out. Second shop around with multiple dealers and tell them the price at which you are ready to make a deal. Somebody will crack with prospect of having leftover inventory. Also, consider that they try to make money back on service so use that to your advantage.

I am convinced that you can get the 10k discount with a little patience and leg work. I'm not normally a tough negotiator, i actually hate it. However the prospective 2012 gl buyer is probably trying to buy a bit over their price comfort range so the discount is paramount. If money isnt an issue then wait for 2013...nothing better than being early driver of relatively rare model.

I negotiated my butt off for the final 2.5 k of my discount. I walked away. I came back. I told them i was going to buy a q7 or lr4. I played it cool and let them re-engage me. Bottom line, if you consider that this car is priced much higher than it should be, and that the decision to purchase is more emotional than rational, then dont be asamed to play hardball.

You will love the car so if you want to steal a mercedes on the cheap then this is your chance
  • alexebialexebi Posts: 16
    Thanks gummibear for the encouragement and great tips. I think patience is the key. Currently my best offer is 6.5K off...that extra 3.5K is a big deal...especially for an end of cycle car. I'll be more aggressive...hopefully a dealer will aceept to sell at MSRP- >=10k.

Thanks again!
    Gummibear, I know you bought your GL in the EU, did you speciallly qualify for any incentives to get that 10K discount or was it just a straight discount. Some dealers have told me I do not qualify for some disocunts like the Conquest or USAA discount hence their inability to give me larger discounts.

Thanks.
  • Straight discount.
    If the Invoice of a GL450 is 7% below MSRP and the delaer also gets a 3% of MSRP back as holdback that mean sin effect th etrue dealer incoice is 90% of MSRP.

so for a 70K car, the true dealer cost is about 63K which is just 7K below MSRP. So if people are getting cars at 10K below invoice, does that mean the dealer is selling it at a 3K loss...or am I missing something.
  • fq1fq1 Posts: 45
    Yes, you are missing the part that the invoice price minus holdback is not the true dealer cost. There are other incentives and kickbacks that dealers get that are never advertised, which provide dealers with their real margins on the car. Then the cash incentives are all on top of that. That is the reason people are able to get 14% or more off MSRP at times.
  • pacarguypacarguy Posts: 2
    Just closed (on March 31) on a GL450. P01 Package, Trailer Hitch, Rear Entertainment PreWire, Parktronic, Blind Spot assist, Heated steering wheel, running boards - MSRP 70740+1950 for Rear Entertainment System, Total MSRP = 72690. Sale Price = $ 65,000 - other discounts (employee) = 1500, Final Price = 63500. The 65K price reflects a 10.5% off the MSRP.

I have found this forum very helpful. Though I would contribute as well (if it helps others).
  • mp4937mp4937 Posts: 3
    2012 GL 350 BlueTec (New)
    Black/Black MB-Text interior
    Options: Premium 1, Parktronic, Blind spot assist, rear entertainemnt system, heated steering, side board with illumination kit
    MSRP $72,350, and dealer offerd $65,000.
    Is this a good deal? Any thoughts?

BTW: I just want to offer 60K + 1999 Nissan Altima (valued at $2300 trade in).
  • Hi mp4937,
    I suspect that you can push for the $60K (or lower) as MB just introduced the completely revamped 2013 GL class which should be on dealers' lots in September...a mere 5 months from now.

My two rupees.
    I settled for $63300.
    64,800 (sale price) - 1500 (FEP discount).
    Thats the best I could get for BlueTEC.
    Is it really worth pre-purchasing maintenance plan (say 5 years)?
    Can any onne comment on howmuch in total they spend on maintenance?
    Thanks
  • srilankasrilanka Posts: 2
    what dealership please?
  • srilankasrilanka Posts: 2
    what dealership please..
  • drakaindrakain Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I just leased my 2012 GL450, Premium 1 Pkg, 3-zone climate control, Parktronic, Blindspot Assist, Trailer Hitch, Pre-wiring for Rear Ent., MSRP on all of that is about $71,295 + destination, I paid $60K, with 59% residual on 42 months. $4000 out the door, seems like a killer deal to me.
  • wopelwopel Posts: 92
    Does sound like a great deal - what town, which dealership please.
    edited May 2012
    Los Angeles, Beverly Hills
    Congrats! That is a killer deal! Please let us know what the monthly payment was and if you had to do a lot of haggling.
  • jhczjhcz Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum. A local dealer has a 2011 GL550 loaded, ni miles. The sticker price is about $92K. He offered to sell it for $83K plus 100K miles certified warranty. I still think the is too high. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    $888 a month, no haggling, I was presented $915/month and asked to get it lowered to $900. He came back with $888 which actually made me think I should have haggled after that point. But being there for already 3 hours and a infant that was getting restless I was satisfied by the deal. I was upside down on a trade in so it accounted for a a bit higher monthly than it works out without the tradein.
    Thanks! Which state did you register (trying to determine the without tax payment).