Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners Problems & Solutions

Comments

• alancolesalancoles Member Posts: 2
    I have confirmed the test with the fluid spray nozzle. One less thing to worry about. Thanks.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You may have noticed all the new discussions being added all over the forums. what we're doing is moving away from generic "problems" discussions like this one, and moving towards smaller, more focused discussions. For example, nav system questions should now go in the Toyota Camry Hybrid: Navigation System Questions

I'll be closing this one down pulling some posts out of here to get new discussions rolling.
    Please check the discussion list here in the Toyota Camry Hybrid Group to find the approriate discussion for your posts. If you have an issue or a question for which there appears to be no discussion, feel free to add a discussion. We can correct any duplicate discussions as we go along.

Thanks for your understanding and help as we slide the furniture around a bit! :)
  • ahag37ahag37 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my TCH for 6 months now and feel like an idiot.
    Can someone tell me where the horn button is? It is not mentioned anywhere in the manual and I cannot see it in any expected location on the steering column.
    Needless to say I do not need it often, but when I need it I need to know where it is :blush:
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I'd assume it's like other Camrys in that the entire steering wheel hub (and airbag cover) serves as the horn.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    ...but when I need it I need to know where it is

Solution, apply fingertips to left side of steering wheel and slide across to right side along through the center of the wheel. Mark with magic marker areas where sudden loud noises occur ;)
  • ahag37ahag37 Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks to you and wvgasguy. I did press in this general area prior to posting my query but got no response. I must not have hit it quite right. Now I've got it :blush:
    Sorry, I was being a smart#@$. After driving for close to 40 years in about as many cars I couldn't imagine not being able to find the horn. It is possible that the horn could have been defective or a relay bad and without the imprint "push here" like many cars have it would be difficult to know. Most do have it located where the thumb can reach it while the hand is still on the steering wheel.
    Do you remember when Ford tried to go "European" in the late 70s by putting the horn button on a stalk on the left side of the steering column that you pushed inward?

IIRC, Fiats used this system. Luckily, it never caught on here.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Do you remember when Ford tried to go "European" in the late 70s by putting the horn button on a stalk on the left side of the steering column that you pushed inward?"

I had that on my Ford Fairmont, it was a great idea. I had that car for 13 years, and when I got a new one I hit the turn stalk for about 2 months when I wanted the horn.

It allowed one to easily use the horn without moving the hands off of the steering wheel.

Then again, I drove that Fairmont in Europe for three years...
  • etmorphiousnesetmorphiousnes Member Posts: 1
    Make sure the hand held reciever you are using is the original. It took me 6 months to figure that.
    Then my Hybrid was linked. I have Geni brand garage door.
    Keep it below 40 MPG !!!!
  • mfreutelmfreutel Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced difficulty starting their TCH? I have just had a 2nd experience that when I attempt to start the engine the "door open" warning comes on as well as all of the warning symbols along the bottom of the console. This time it also said "Check Hybrid System" I've had the car for just 2 months and am very worried about this continued problem. It is currently at the dealership and I am waiting to hear the problem. Please help. M :confuse:
  • pgnycpgnyc Member Posts: 5
    HI !!

in the manual they say that a 1 sec impulse on the tilt down button do close the moonroof automatically.

i cannot reproduce this, anytime i push the tilt down button, the moonroof go down and go up and stay up.

to close i have to push the button quickly many time and there the moonroof stop in the close position.

thanks,
    Pascal

ps:no pb with the tilt up..
  • pgnycpgnyc Member Posts: 5
    who knows on wich temperature sensor the AC run?
    exterior or an hidden interior ???

because it could be 70 outside and 90 inside and if you put 80 on your AC you will get heat and not cold !!!

thanks,
    Pascal
  • nyceshirtznyceshirtz Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as you do with the tilt down. do you know what specifically caused the problem and specifically what did the dealer do to fix it?
    Try the "initializing" the moonroof exactly as stated in the owner's manual (look under "moonroof" in the index). If this doesn't work, take the car back to the dealer since this will be covered by the warranty.
  • nyceshirtznyceshirtz Member Posts: 2
    I tried initializing the moonroof as per www.toyotaiguide.com to no avail. I looked on page 53 of the owners manual, but could not find it there. I find that the index of the owners manual leaves alot to be desired; also has erroneous page number references. When will they recall the manual to fix the index?
    When will they recall the manual to fix the index?

LOL! Well, since the common wisdom is that most people never even peek at the manual, the likelihood of that happening is slim to none.
  • susann7429susann7429 Member Posts: 4
    I'm hesitant to ask about this, as I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but it continues to be a problem for me. Have had the TCH for 6 months, mine was the first off of the lot. Loved the look, the smell, all of the neat accessories. My first new car and so I bought it decked out. The first few times it rained I noticed that it didn't seem to hug the road well, at point I actually felt the car slide. During snow and, gulp, ice my TCH would slide around corners. At one point I barely managed to get the thing to stop before running into the back of another car. I mentioned it to the dealer but he just rolled his eyes at me..... crazy lady driver. I happened to take it to another dealer for a scheduled oil change, mentioned it to him and he indicated that he had heard that before from other TCH owners. He said that it was probably due to the extra weight in the back, due to the battery. And the TCH is a front-end drive. Okay. But he had no ideas about how to 'fix' this. (Remember when we could just toss bags of kitty litter in the back? and no, I'm not driving like a maniac, speeding through the wet, snowy streets!) HELP! Other than this I can find no fault with this car but with a 50 mile commute to work one-way, I end up driving my 96 camry wagon just to be on the safe side. How ironic. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS????
    it continues to be a problem for me.

In July? :D

Seriously, I wouldn't "sweat" it; what car doesn't slide if you go a little too, ahem, exuberantly around corners in slippery conditions? And the battery isn't that heavy, certainly less so than having a full complement of people in the rear seat!

If it's really that snowy or icy in winter where you live, you might want to invest in 4 winter tires mounted on steel wheels. One good source is the Tire Rack.
    Okay, okay. Maybe I was a little exhuberant initially, I mean it is a fantastic car. But now I'm driving like a little old lady in the rain. (Okay, before you even go there..... that means I'm actually doing the speed limit or lower around areas I'm afraid of.) It continues to happen when I'm going around curves on the highway. Doesn't happen with the camry wagon. Maybe I'm just meant to drive the wagon. Wouldn't my 16 year old love that? I'm going to wait. I know there is someone else out there that has experienced this. (Tires are some top-knotch tires my husband specified. Couldn't tell you.) Thanks for the laugh though!! :0) Anyone, anyone have this experience?
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    You should not be having that kind of problem with the car. Drove mine all winter and between using the 'B' mode to slow the car when entering sharp turns and the traction control.. everything worked fine.

Might have your dealer check your traction control... Also, the type of tire they gave you can affect your slippage and cornering ability... mine are Michelin and hold the road pretty well.

The best deal on tires - with reviews - is at www.tirerack.com and then have a local store mount them. You will save hundreds.
    Hmmm...... I'll talk to the dealer next time I take it in for an oil change.... or today when I go in to talk with them about the 2008 highlander hybrid. And maybe I should spend a little more time with the manual. learn what that B mode is all about. Thanks so much. It has been the one thing about the TCH that I don't love.
    I don't think you'll need to use B mode as a means to keep your car from sliding.

When it "slid" did you hear any noises? The antilock brakes, traction and skid control usually makes a LOT of noise when they kick in. If you did skid and they didn't kick in then you have a problem.

I hate to ask the obvious, but is it possible the handling and stopping are just not what you're used to?
    No, absolutely no sounds when I'm slip sliding, just the feel that I was losing control of the car. I adjusted my driving in subsequent trips, just because I was driving through snow/ice and was pretty nervous in the new car. Continued to slip around corners. Felt like I was fish-tailing. You are right. This car has a much different feeling than the camry wagon. Feels so much lighter, although the specs reveal that the TCH is actually heavier.

The one time that I nearly rear-ended someone, the car did it's anti-lock shakey thing. Not knowing much about cars, is it possible that I simply need the traction control looked at by the dealer?

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. I hate not loving my new car!!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Which tires do you have? I drive in the rain all the time and have no traction issues (I live in Seattle!) and the car did fine in the snow. Just remember (I'm sure you already know this) you do have to drive more carefully in low traction conditions.

The traction control and Anti-skid is for when you are moving, the anti-lock brakes are for when you're stopping (there is some overlap if you are trying to stop around a corner)

It's not normal for a front wheel drive family car like a camry to fishtail, rather it should understeer (keep going straight rather than turn). Maybe it's your alignment?

If you get a lot of snow invest in a good set of snow tires- if it saves you from one accident it will pay for itself!

Have the dealer check it out. It's all under warranty (including the alignment if you haven't driven too many miles!)

Good luck!

tom
  • raremarkraremark Member Posts: 2
    I bought my TCH six weeks ago and it has left me stranded two times. When I took it out :sick: :sick: of the dealer it worked fine for about four weeks and then, one day, it wouldn't start. It did exactly what you described in your post. I had to rent a car to go to work and the dealer sent a tow truck to pick it up. Later they informed me that "there was nothing wrong and to come and pick it up." I've driven the car for another couple of weeks without any problems but today it just refuses to start. I called the dealer and they say they'll pick it up tomorrow. What kind of response did you get from your dealership?? I'm really interested in how you got the matter resolved IF IT GOT RESOLVED AT ALL...
    Well, unfortunately my saga has continued....the car has been in 3 times with the same problem--it will not start, the warning lights illuminate and it says the door is open (and it is not). They have replaced HVS electronic control unit in July and today I have picked it up (after being without the car for 12 days) and they replaced the main body ecm--as a "good will gesture". I am very frustrated and am submitting paperwork to the Ca Dispute Settlement Program--I'm done with this car. The really unfortunate thing is that I like the car. Please keep me updated as to what they find with your car! I have not gotten any replies to my post, except yours. I wish you luck.
  • raremarkraremark Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for replying and updating me on your situation. Yesterday I strongly complained to the dealership and received several appeasing telephone calls from Toyota executives of different levels. The only person that sounded like he knew what was happening is a gentleman who claimed to be responsible for all Toyota service departments in this area. He blames the problem on the alarm installed by the dealership which -he says- is interfering with the start. He said the solution is quite simple since they only have to remove an unnecessary switch from the alarm. They are doing that today while I'm away on a business trip. Whatever the problem is in your case or mine I think it is inexcusable. Are they going to compensate you for all the days you couldn't drive your new car? To me they haven't even offered to pay for the rented car I had to use in order to get to work. Please let's keep in touch until we reach the end of this unfortunate, annoying state of affairs.
    Toyota has always paid for the rental car and necessary towing. I hope their fix works for you--I do not have an aftermarket alarm, just the one that was stock. Good luck and I will keep in touch. M
  • solorichsolorich Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased my TCH on August 22nd. I started to experience this problem after two days.

(Friday) I left the car on my driveway for about 18-20 hours after I parked it, then I tried to start it. No success, all dashboard lights on and no ready light. I call my dealer they stated to jump the car which I did and the car worked after that.

(Saturday) The next day again left the car on the drive way for about 20 hours. Tried to start it and same problem. I jumped it again.

(Sunday) I left the car on the driveway again for 20 hours and tried to start it. This time it started.

(Monday) In the morning I tried to start it (about 12 hours after last attempt) and it did not start and all the lights on the display where on. I opened my door to change cars, and tried to start it again, this time it started.

Thinking through this, all doors were closed when I attempted on Friday, Saturday and Monday. At lest one door was open when I started on Sunday.

I have also found that after the car starts initially there is no problems for a couple of hours.

I will run the test tomorrow and video it.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Sounds like you are just not turning the car off and it's sitting there with the Power on all night until the next day.

Review the manual on proper ways to power on and power off the car.
    I thought that too the first time. I took it immediately over to the dealer (about 6 miles away) on the Saturday occurrence. They found that the battery was fully charged. In addition the power was fine, when it would not start, air blowing from the a/c, interior lights worked, etc. The only exception was that the stereo did not work.

I think I am following the correct sequence to shutdown the car. Press start button to turn off. I also made sure the lights were off.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Do you have the keyfob with the alarm controls?

Here's a test:

If, after powering off and exiting the car, you can activate the alarm with the fob, then the car is Powered off.

The alarm will not activate if the car is turned on.
    I did not have the car between Monday and Wednesday. The dealer found no problems.

The car is shutting down properly. I do not have the alarm controls on the fob, but the door's lock etc. The car is shutdown.

The car would not start today (Friday Morning). The dash light act as if it is in auxiliary mode. I did video tape the start this morning to show the service people at the dealer. The car was towed to the dealer so they can work on it.

Owned it 9 days, (4 days in the shop and driven it a total of 4 days.)
  • stuartastuarta Member Posts: 2
    I love my new Camry Hybrid. I also have a 04 4Runner so blizzards and tire traction in bad weather don't concern me. I have one issue with the Camry. When running you can't program the NAV system. That's crazy! When travelling the passenger s/b able to do that. I saw a blog (not sure if it was this site) where someone described the button combos for overriding that behavior.. essentially it shuts off the NAV system "in motion lock". Does anyone know how to do that?
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    The overide does not work on nav. disc version 6.1.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The Camry Hybrid has its own board, so why are these postings in the general Camry section?
  • talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    Because the Edmund's site is messed up? This is under the "Toyota Camry Hybrid Maintenance & Repair" board the way I read it. There seems to be different ways to get to the boards and what you see depends on how you enter !?!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Talmy hit the nail on the head. There are many different ways to get to the same place.
    If you use the Browse By Vehicle search tool to look for discussions on the Camry, that will include discussions on the TCH under that umbrella. :shades:
  • dnodozdnodoz Member Posts: 1
    Manual leaves out a setp. Rolling code requires to set the button to the handheld control AND then set it again using the learn button on the opener.

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
    To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.

Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car red light starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute. (In a few cases, some make cars require the keys to be in the ignition, or the car motor must be running, or the car door must be shut)
    Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, red light flashes rapidly. this sets the in-car transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
    Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually next to the area where the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and an indicator light flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board, and is a red, green or purple square button with a green, amber or purple indicator light. Press this learn button momentarily. The indicator light will turn on and blink if Genie or otherwise stay lit. Go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener.
  • msq1224msq1224 Member Posts: 16
    I'm considering one for family driving, mostly around town. Considering any problems you've had and your dealers/Toyota's response, would you recommend this vehicle?
  • abc126abc126 Member Posts: 2
    the manual says to take it to the dealer when it blinks and stays steady, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to reset it? the tire pressures are fine
    thanks in advance!
    Is the spare tire part of the system, and if so, did you check its pressure?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    The reset switch is inside the glove box, on the left. With the power switch set to ON, press the reset switch until the TPMS dash warning light blinks 3 times slowly. Then leave the power ON for several minutes to complete the reset.

If the warning light won't blink 3 times, take it to the dealer. These are new systems. They still have bugs.
  • abc126abc126 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 camry hybrid and I can't seem to find any power switch inside the glove box. I appreciate your help though.

210delray, I the spare is not part of the system.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Assuming you have a US model (are Canadian models different?), the switch is not inside the box. It's on the lower left, just outside of it, with the door open. It's easier to feel than see.

Your manual has a picture of its location and complete instructions.
  • skiba1skiba1 Member Posts: 3
    When I use the auto temp, I seems to get better gas mileage. Is this really true,or is this my imagination? Also I seem to get better gas mileage,without the cruise control.True? I have a TCH o7
  • jpentkowskijpentkowski Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 TCH. Just in the last week I've been having trouble powering off the car once parked. :sick: I've had the car for almost a year and this has never been a problem. After placing the vehicle in park, I keep my foot on the brake and depress the power button. I then release the brake and attempt to exit the vehicle. Once I open the driver's door the car turns itself back on into what appears to be the accessory mode. I then close the door, depress the brake, turn the car on again and repeat the power off process and it usually works. Although, it's becoming more stubborn and two days ago I couldn't get it to turn off at all.

I contacted my local dealer and they seemed only to be concerned with my ability to actually drive a car, (highly offensive). :mad: Even my three year old has noticed the ongoing problem and asks, "What's wrong with this car!?!" :confuse: I dropped it off with the dealer yesterday. It did the exact same thing to the service advisor, but when the master tech tried to replicate the issue, while hooked up to the computer, no go. At least I have a believer in the service advisor himself.

Here's what I have noticed, but I can't seem to determine if it's related. I live in Las Vegas where it's quite hot, now. I like to leave the moon roof in the tilted open position so there's a little ventilation while parked in the sun. I've done this for months, this is nothing new. However, the car doesn't like that I do this and gives me a reminder message telling me it's open. I usually ignore the message and continue on my merry way, but I'm wondering if it could be related somehow.

Also, I keep the A/C in the Auto and ECO at all times. Whenever the car malfunctions it always turns itself back on without A/C or ECO and the front defroster button starts flashing.

Please, Please does anyone have any input? The dealer says that they will keep it until the issue is resolved, but I'm not so sure that will happen. :lemon: ?
    I can't help you with the main problem, but leaving the moonroof tilted open and the a/c in the auto and ECO modes shouldn't make any difference.

In my non-hybrid Camry, I always leave the moonroof tilted open also when parked, except of course when it's going to rain.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    I would have to go out to the garage to try it, but I do not think I have my foot on the brake when I shut the car down.....Foot on the brake to start the car,yes, or two pushes of the start button with foot off brake will also start the car. I do not think shutting the car down requires you to have your foot on the brake. Having your foot on the brake to shut down may even confuse things. Maybe this is all wrong and I have my foot on the brake to shut down but I do not think so. Have had the car almost a year now and these things are kind of automatic.....anyway hope this helps.