Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris New Owner Reports

Comments

• jnantzjnantz Member Posts: 10
    We took delivery today of our new Liftback. To recap, it is a Blazing Blue 5 speed manual, loaded... All-Weather Guard Package, ABS, Side Air-Bags, Remote Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Power Package, Rear Spoiler, Floor Mats. and Rear Bumper Protector. We sold our 2000 Tundra Tuesday, went to our dealer that evening and found this car 150 miles away. The dealer picked it up today and we picked it up from the dealer this afternoon. It is sweet to drive, has plenty of interior room for us (we are both 6ft tall) and I like the 60-40 adjustable rear seats.
    By the way, while we were closing the deal and signing the papers another salesman was selling our Yaris to his customer. They were all over it when the other salesman noticed our license plates on the car. He came into the show room asking everyone why there were plates on the car he was trying to sell. Boy were they disappointed to find out it was sold to us.

Then, when we go home, there was a message on our answering machine from a different Toyota dealer advising us they had searched for a car like we wanted but could not find one!

Finally, we got a price from our dealer's service department of $445 to install cruise control, an accessory we will be ordering soon.
  • boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    Your liftback has the exact same specs as the one I plan to order next week, only in Meteorite Metallic.

Sounds like a great car!

What was the MSRP? (Seems like about $15,600 to me.)
  • jnantzjnantz Member Posts: 10
    I want to say $14,785 in eastern Illinois.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national news magazine is hoping to talk with consumers who have just downsized their vehicle from a SUV (preferably large) to a small, compact car. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, December 4, 2006 with your daytime contact info.
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    I have several rattles from somewhere in my front DASH. Typical Toyota sadly....Mine is a 3 door lift back however with an aftermarket center console...
  • akin242002akin242002 Member Posts: 30
    The gas mileage is great on my automatic Yaris Sedan with the power package. I am getting 33.5 MPG with mostly city driving. The turning radius on this car is also great. I can not say enough about the MP3 player, which is so useful in bumper to bumper traffic. All for under $15,000. :shades:

The car is a bit sluggish starting from a complete stop. Also, the front passenger seatbelt alarm does get annoying when someone does not immediately put their seatbelt on. ;)
  • sweetgrlsweetgrl Member Posts: 4
    I am experiencing the same problem in my 4 door sedan. Purchased in August and by late November started to hear a rattle in the dash that has become louder and louder. I have brought it to Toyota twice and was told they can't figure out where it is coming from so unitl it get LOUDER they can't do anything about it!!! It is driving me crazy! Has anyone else been experiening this and had luck with getting it fixed?
  • dkarschdkarsch Member Posts: 72
    I had a dash rattle which was caused by a wiring harness for the airbag hitting the dash in my 2002 tacoma and fix it in the following way.

got "caulk saver" which is a 1/2 inch diameter round strip that is used to fill up space when you are caulking around windows, doors, etc.

I cut a strip of this the length of the dash and then pushed it in the gap where the windshield meets the dash. use a wooden ruler or paint stick)

this moved the dash ever so slightly so that the harness no longer hit the dash.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem but it will only cost you a few dollars and about 15 minutes to find out.

good luck.
  • osiris_9osiris_9 Member Posts: 3
    I just puchased a new Yaris Hatchback to use for my courier business and I'm still trying to figure out what took me so long. Because of my contract I drive 500 miles every day. I needed a vehicle that could both carry a reasonable amount of cargo and could really get over 35mpg. The vehicle I used before my yaris had a hwy/mpg of 21mpg.Because of the distance I travel, I dont exactly drive the speed limit. I always cruise at least 5-15mph over the speed limit. Instead of getting the 21mpg over the highway,the best I could get out of my other vehicle was 16mpg. The Yaris allows me to save 35-40 bucks a day on gas. I test drove a number of other vehicles and I was very close to buying a honda fit or scion xb. BTW the Yaris is very deceptive. It is allot bigger on the inside. With the Yaris hatch it is true that big things do come in small packages. The thing that made it clear to me the yaris was the right vehicle for me was its ride on the highway. To me the Yaris is a much smoother car on the highway than either the fit of xb. Both the fit and xb can hold more stuff, but they are more expensive to own and fill up and noisy. On some forums fit owners are complaining about lower milage than they expected. I am very happy with my purchase. I'm looking foward to saving 700 bucks a month in fuel costs. I already have almost 1500 miles on my yaris and I'm averaging 36.5 mpg cruising 75-85mph and carrying 250 pounds of cargo. Also My Yaris has ABS , side airbags and the power package. I paid about 14,500
    When walking along side your Yaris from the rear towards the front of car, start "tapping" the sheet metal on the side of the car. Either side as BOTH are equally CHEAP.....When you arrive to the front area, front of the front doors, you will hear the CHEAPEST piece of crap sheet metal ever put into ANY car.It has generated several rattles to several "locations" as the sound ghosts around the cabin. Can't fix a design flaw this bad without taking some metal apart and spraying in one of several fixes. Aren't cheapo cars FUN? :lemon:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Didn't you sell yours?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Still passing on something I discovered beforehand. Try it and see..... :)
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    We have, but we see something completely different from what you see.
  • flyguy6flyguy6 Member Posts: 3
    The idle is bugging me. It sits at about 600 rpm, then suddenly dip to about 500 rpm. When the idle starts to get a bit rough, it jumps up to 800 rpm, then back to 600 rpm, then it sits there for a bit, and does it all over again.

Anyone else have this? I have a 5 speed, normally put it in neutral and let out the clutch.

bt
  • lovcomlovcom Member Posts: 5
    Our two 2007 Lift-backs don't do this....your Yaris has a problem...take it in...
  • flyguy6flyguy6 Member Posts: 3
    Do you have the dealer installed security system on your cars?

thanks
  • carsaregreatcarsaregreat Member Posts: 3
    I have the idle thing going on with mine as well. I discussed this with a friend of mine who has a Honda Civic and she said her Civic has done the same thing from new. Have you ever checked with the dealer on this?
  • kenc9kenc9 Member Posts: 7
    I bought my Yaris and brought it home today so it is too soon to make a complete review of it but so far it just keeps better and better. I went to get the windows tinted and the guy walks out for the quote and stares and says what is it? HAHA

Handles very nice and plenty of power (5 speed) and way more room inside than it looks like it would have. Leg room and head room and even the back seat has plenty of room.

Nice mileage, nice look, nice price 12500. hatchback with power package and floor matts. It is really a fun car to drive.
  • keepitsimplekeepitsimple Member Posts: 4
    I need advice. I was going to purchase the Yaris Liftback in early Fall of 2006. After sharing my intention with friends and family however, I encountered serious reservations. The first was typical: never buy a new car in it's first year of production. Got it! But the other warranted greater concern...that a car as small and light as the Yaris, Fit, Versa, etc. would prove a huge disappointment for me during winter conditions. I've heard everything from, 'It won't hold the road well at all--too light', to 'If you get it, make sure you have a heavier car to use during our winters, because they (sub-compact cars) are horrible to operate.'

I think I'm an intelligent guy and I've heard all of the typical arguments against small cars and take each with a grain of salt. However, it did prompt me to wonder how current Yaris Liftback owners fared during winter driving. I live in suburban Chicago and winters can be daunting. Who among you living in the area (or any place with hostile winter seasons) can provide some hands on driving experiences under such conditions? I want to know so I can FINALLY decide whether the Yaris is the car for me. All experiences shared--both good and bad--would be helpful. Thanks much! :)
  • chicagogitonchicagogiton Member Posts: 18
    Speaking as a fellow Chicago area resident, you don't have much to worry about.
    First, the Yaris has a new body and some new suspension parts but the engine, transmission are carryovers from the Yaris that has been on the market for years in Japan and Europe.

Light cars handling in snow; Its more the tires than the weight of the car. The stock tires are all season tires, hence not much grip on ice and snow. The expensive option is to get snow tires, but I have had a great experience using "traction cables". Under $40 for a pair, they go on the front tires, and will keep you from getting stuck. I was seriously stuck in a parking spot, wheels spinning, put the traction cables on, and voila! I pulled right out. Once I got on a cleared road I pulled over and took them off. Just google "traction cables" to find places to buy them online.
  • sweetgrlsweetgrl Member Posts: 4
    I have had my Yaris sedan since August and overall I am less than impressed. There are lots a rattles that come from all over the car that apparantly are "normal". The gas mileage has been good, average 38mpg w/ mixed city and highway, but that's about the only plus of the car. Wish I would have bought a Versa :( You lose a bit in gas mileage but you get so much more in terms of features. Oh well...
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    6 to 10 mpg is more than a "bit" to me. If you get the Versa, you might as well get an Accord, Sentra, or Altima as those get about the same real world mileage as the Versa. For just a "bit" worse mpg than the Versa, you can get a midsize SUV.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A Sentra would cost more but not have much more interior space. An Accord, Altima, or midsized SUV would cost a lot more than a Versa. If you are going to get an Accord, might as well get a Prius and get better than 38 mpg.
    You can get an Accord LX for 17-18k. I see people getting Versas for 15-17k. The Accord is much nicer, more powerful, better resale value, and similar fuel economy. A Prius will run you at least 20k by comparison though it would be a valid choice also for maximum fuel economy.

My point on the mid sized SUV is that Yaris owners are after an inexpensive car with high mileage. To say that a 6-10 mpg difference between the Yaris and the Versa is just a bit, then a bit worse than a Versa is a mid sized SUV, and a bit worse than a mid sized SUV is a Suburban. I would call 6-10 mpg a significant hunk not a bit.
    Can you please let me know where I can get an Accord LX for $17k that has alloys, Bluetooth, IntelligentKey, automatic (or CVT), sunroof, steering wheel audio controls etc.? That is what Versas have in the $15-17k range. A Versa equipped like a base Accord LX would run more like $13k.

Someone interested in a Yaris will not be shopping for an Accord. The Versa has its strengths and weaknesses compared to the Yaris. I don't see how comparisons to mid-sized SUVs are relevant to this discussion.
    I think you almost got it. Someone shopping for the fuel economy of a Yaris should not be looking at a Versa. The valley is wide if fuel economy is the main factor.

The two I personally compared were the Versa SL with ABS versus Accord LX. Both have manual transmissions. The Accord is 17500 (1100 under invoice) in my area and the Versa SL is 15100 (just above invoice).

The Versa does not have Bluetooth, IntelligentKey, sunroof, steering wheel audio controls for that price. It does have aluminum wheels that the Accord LX does not have.

The Accord for 17500 does have 44 additional horsepower, better resale value, independent rear suspension, telescoping wheel, power trunk release, 5 star versus 4 star safety, and similar real world gas mileage.

In my opinion the Versa is a compact that markets itself against subcompacts that gets the fuel economy of a midsize.

Back to the Yaris.
    According to CR's tests, there's a 5 mpg gap between the Versa and Yaris for overall fuel economy. Not a huge gap IMO, given the much roomier interior and comfort of the Versa. If someone is looking for the highest possible fuel economy in a small, inexpensive car, then the Yaris is an excellent choice.

P.S. A better comparo to the Versa SL is the Accord SE.
    P.P.S. The Versa has better overall IIHS crash test results than the Accord... and the Yaris for that matter.
  • bricknordbricknord Member Posts: 85
    >

If I were the betting type, I'd wager than something on the order of 1% of people considering an Accord or a Versa cross-shop the other.

I'd be ready to buy a Yaris immediately if I could get a hatch with ABS around here...
    I fall into the 1% then. I bought an Accord and switched to the Yaris this time (but considered the Accord/Civic/Fit/Corolla/Versa/Prius/Elantra).
  • rocketman10rocketman10 Member Posts: 20
    With all due respect..the Versa Interior is NOT roomier then the Yaris Interior...and 5 miles more per gallon at $4.00 per gallon (and that is becoming the norm as it gets way past $3.00 per gallon) is $20.00 more for those 5 gallons times how many times you have to fill up in a year....

The Yaris interior is quite roomy and as comfortable as the Versa.....it lacks blue tooth....but still gives you ipod capability...and quite frankly, unless you need tons of blue tooth gadgets going in a car.......while driving it...I don't see the need to spend several thousand dollars more on a Versa for bluetooth capability.

I have always had anti lock brakes on my cars until the Yaris and the funny thing is I haven't missed it...and there has been enough snow and rain here that I have driven in and done way ok with the anti lock brakes.....

The Yaris has been easy to maintain, drives like a dream and I consistently maintain in the 40 mpg plus range (and I drive the automatic Yaris Liftback.)

I got mine in July 2006 and am quite pleased.....I look at it this way..I spent $13,540 (include destination charge) and got the arm rest, rear bumper guard, floor mats and the $740.00 package.....and get close to hybrid gas mileage at half the cost of a hybrid.

My only regret was that I could have gotten the car sooner (in May around this time last year) but I didn't realize they go that quickly....and they did then..so ended up ordering the same car and Blazing Blue car as the one I test drove..had I known I would have purchased the one I test drove right there and then.....since I knew the moment I got in it that it was the car for me and I don't regret it one bit and I do LOVE my Yaris very much:)
    I am really puzzled as to how you can say that the Versa is NOT roomier than the Yaris. Here's the numbers:

Versa interior volume: 95 cubic feet
    Yaris interior volume: 85 cubic feet
    Versa cargo volume: 18 cubic feet
    Yaris cargo volume: 9 cubic feet

Those are not minor differences, in numbers or in perception. I've taken multiple close looks at and driven both cars, and the Versa is decidedly more roomy in both passenger room and cargo room. The biggest difference for passenger room is in the back, where the Yaris is at best adequate for adults and the Versa has more legroom than many mid-sized cars.

As for braking, it's good that you haven't missed ABS yet, but 3rd party tests have shown a big difference in braking w/o ABS, e.g. CR found dry stops from 60 mph were 24 feet longer and wet stops 35 feet longer without ABS. Their recommendation: "Opt for ABS if you can find it."

40+ mpg is really good, but it would help prospective buyers if you could explain your driving patterns, e.g. what is the mix of city vs. highway driving, and at what speed on the highway? That way, if someone has a much different driving pattern than you do, they can realize they may or may not get 40+ mpg (CR got 33 mpg overall on the automatic Yaris on their tests).
  • mashedpotatoesmashedpotatoes Member Posts: 2
    I have a sedan that was purchased in April of 2007 and it does this exact same problem. I noticed that it only seems to do it in the cold which has kept me from making a special trip to the dealer as I know they won't find it unless it sits overnight in the cold. Anyone found any answers to this one?
  • keepitsimplekeepitsimple Member Posts: 4
    Still have yet to make a decision, but I appreciate the information about the traction cables--thanks much! That was helpful. :)
  • swtsngguyswtsngguy Member Posts: 1
    The previous post said not much roomier here is the official stats
    yaris hb versa 5 door
    Mileage (City / Hwy) 34/39 28/35

Curb Weight 2335 lbs 2751 lbs

Seating Capacity 5 passengers 5 passengers

Dimensions

Wheelbase 96.9 inches 102.4 inches +5.5 inches versa

Front Headroom 39.4 inches 40.6 inches +1.2 inch versa

Front Legroom 40.3 inches 41.4 inches +1.1 inch versa

Rear Headroom 37.9 inches 37.9 inches 0 diference

Rear Legroom 33.8 inches 38.0 inches 4.2 inches only noticable difference

interior differnce 6.5 inches total larger versa

now as i mentioned thats the hatchback toy compaired against the biggest 5 door versa
    the sedan yaris looks like this

wheelbase 100.4 inch + 2 inches versa

Front headroom 38.8 inches +1.5 inches versa

Front legroom 42.2 inches -.8 inches versa

rear headroom 36.7 inches +1.2 inches versa

rear legroom 35.6 inches +2.4 inches versa

compaired to the more equal sedan the versas only 4.3 inches larger so overall thats not all that much considering your car is 416 pounds heavier 3 speed tran instd of 4 little aftermarket performance coverage less interior storage but most of all its not a toyota so that should say enough but i have to agree about the antilock come on toyota what were you thinking
  • benlearnbenlearn Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately, it goes off by itself, within a few minutes. What I find annoying is, when I put a box in the front passenger seat, and drove away, the seatbelt warning alarm came on, until it was ready to go off ; - ( The seats are computer-sensitive.
  • anitawilkersonanitawilkerson Member Posts: 2
    I was orginally looking for either a Prius or a Mini Cooper. I did the internet research and sent off inquiries to dealers asking for estimates under $22K. David Melson from Fitzgerald responded that if it was the improved mileage I was looking for there were other models that could get me similar results for much lower cost than the Prius. As he was the only one to offer me offer me options, I came in and test drove the Yaris. Dave literally answered every question I had in mind about the Yaris, before I asked. I had just come off a very bad experience with a different car and dealership so I was particularly interested in maintenance costs. David took me by the service center where the maintenance costs were posted on the wall for all to see. I then went to another dealership and test drove a Honda. They didn't know the car and they couldn't tell me the estimated/average cost of a 30K checkup. I bought the Yaris from David and it was one of the most pleasant buying experiences I have encountered in my adult life. The Yaris is the right car for me, gets excellent gas mileage and maintence is a dream. Yesterday I dropped the car off to have some options installed -- I was in and out with a loaner car in 30 minutes. Pickup was just as easy. I am now confident that I will have a reliable, fuel efficient, well-made, fun car for the next several years. I would recommend the Toyota Yaris and the dealership unreservedly. This is completely different from my prior car buying experience.
  • bigtazbigtaz Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a small car to commute 100 miles round trip (Freeway) daily, I was curious of those with tach's and Manual/Auto how many RPM's at say 70mph?
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. The liftback Yaris is in a class of its own as a 2 door car is the only thing that will fit my broad shoulders, and still get 35+ mpg, Versa/Fit/Aveo/and many others only offer 4/5 door models. Hyundai needs to fix their MPGs, at just over 10g's it would appeal to me but their mileage/history terrible.

As for your seat belt thing, My F150 does that, I got 2 of the free 6 inch seatbelt extendsions and plugged 'em in and presto! No more seatbelt warnings for non-use!
    Maybe Toyota has something simular....just a thought
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    Not sure about the standard, but the automatic runs at about 2950 RPM at 70 mpg.
    And I meant 70 mph, not mpg... ya know, not being able to edit your own posts after only a few minutes is pretty stupid in my opinion - I've never seen another forum that does that.
    Manual is about 3050 rpms at 70mph.
    I knew what you meant, Yeah I know it would be nice to edit our posts.
    Thank You for your replies, I know that cars with little engines have to rev going down the road 2900-3000 vs. 2200 for my truck, I test drove a SVT focus once that was just as bad as an Accent 3700+ I just have to get past the "new" way of doing things I guess. The 5 speed models are kinda rare in MN, so are the "S" liftback models.
    I am unsure If I will get a 5 speed or an auto, as of yet, My wife isn't too keen on the Manual, but she is learning....Thanks Again, Bigtaz.
  • lewjac3lewjac3 Member Posts: 15
    Hey Big, just got back from a test drive of a 2008 hatch three door, I was not expecting anything good, it was between yaris or the fit haven't driven the fit yet but, WOW, the Yaris was great, build quality was exceptional, low road noise, no rattles, manual shift was smooth shift/clutch was great. I was in fourth gear doing sixty and was no problem, I could imagine doing eighty in fifth and it would be very smooth no high revs. I might add the air condition was on the whole time didn't make a difference as far as lose of power. With one drive I really liked this car, I will now test the FIt because I like the looks better, but it is going to be hard to beat the Yaris.
  • ttaittai Member Posts: 114
    OMG, I've had the Yaris over a year now and there is absolutely nothing that went wrong. NOTHING!!! I had a ford before and the thing was in the shop 5 times in the first year. This Yaris feels bullet proof. Sorry to all the magazines that said Toyota quality was bad. Toyota still rules.
    That is great to hear, I've put my buying on hold. I'm sorry you had problems with your Ford, My 04 F150 has 65K and has never been to the shop, there are good ones and bad ones of all makes. I had rented a Yaris to take on vacation, MN to NC "Long test drive" it was a 3dr auto, I liked the nimble handling and the mpg's but it is like most economy cars, slow to accelerate, and the interior was low buck, but so is my stripped down model ford, but the quality of the fit and finish is much better than the Korean cars. I wish there were a longer options list for the Yaris.
  • usaf66usaf66 Member Posts: 6
    Have yet to drive the Yaris am in love with Fit but not the price. I have serious back problems . Drove the Saturn Astra very nice roomy handles great and ery little noise (another priority) but no matter how I adjusted seat after only 2 hrs. back acted up. Think will give back a few days rest then try the Yaris seems I do better in a level seat. Any suggestions?

Usafrosie
    Yeah, that's got to be the lamest, made-up excuse yet. It doesn't make a bit of sense. I've had sticky throttle cables before on older cars that didn't always return to idle right away when you let off the gas (happened to me even more on older motorcycles). Our Yaris is at work with my wife so I can't look, but you should be able to see where the throttle cable enters the manifold and you should be able to see it move when you press the gas pedal.

If you can, have someone rev the motor lightly in neutral and see if you can tell if it sticks a little causing it to not slow to idle as quickly as it should when you friend lets off the gas.
  • mylantageorgiamylantageorgia Member Posts: 6
    I hate it the only good thing about it is the 40mpg I get with a full tank.
    Our new car experience has been a horrifying nightmare.
    and will never buy new again.
    Our yaris had 55mls when purchased last year. within a month started having problems with transmission (automatic), ignition, and air system stinking like an old heater core dump.
    took it into dealership they said nothing was wrong. but as I was gathering the paperwork for the lemon law arbitrator I found that the dealership lied and did a transmission diffrential repair. hmm but told me from the begining that nothing was wrong even gave me a bad time, cause I insisted something was wrong.
    we had the boot replace on the exhaust. that stopped the smell until I took it in to have the ignition replaced, now the air system smells of gasoline and exhaust.
    and ignition still giving us trouble.
    a few months ago we started experiencing a grinding in rear wheel.
    dealership said probably just dirt.
    a few days later we noticed grease slung on outside of hubcap from wheel.
    but nothing wrong with this car!
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    This is really hard to believe. I have bought three Yarii in the past three years for family members, and have not had the first quality problem with any of them. We average about 37 MPG in the city with all of them.
    Yeah, I don't know what kind of dealers these poor folks are encountering but they are the exceptions it seems. Mylantageorgia, I doubt you'd have had a better experience with that dealer new or used.

My wife's Yaris Sedan is doing great at a year and half. Only thing we had to do was get a faulty TPM monitor replaced - done in an hour along with the oil change.

If my Echo weren't still doing so great, I'd have bought a second Yaris by now.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I bought a Yaris SE 5-speed, and this thing is so much fun to drive I am finding any excuse I can to take trips in it. The handling is much better than the older model - this car really sticks through corners and rolls much less than it used to, and where I was getting 40 mpg in the Echo I had before (Yaris's very humble ancestor) this one is making 44 mpg so far. The braking is also stronger, and the seats are much more comfortable and supportive.

The powertrain, of course, is the same except for some small fuel economy improvements, so it is no faster than it ever was, but because it is so lightweight it is plenty fast enough for commuting and the occasional trip down the local canyons.

The biggest improvement, I think, is to the steering, which is quick and precise, and while it doesn't provide a ton of feedback from the front wheels it does at least provide SOME while being heavier than before and not totally lifeless the way it used to be. And I'm no fan of electric steering in general - I think the 1/4 mpg saved by it is totally not worth what you lose vs going with a hydraulic system. But they mostly got it right here, and I'm hoping that an electric system will also be more durable and less costly to repair down the line.

Anyway, all that and two cupholders I can actually use for a Super Big Gulp earned Toyota a sale. ;-)

I am going to cross my fingers that it ends up being as ultra-reliable as my Echo was for almost ten years. Any other 2012 owners out there?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)