Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636

Comments

• lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    36.8 mpg in town on my first fill-up for a manual hatchback. I was only down to 1/2 a tank after the initial dealer fill-up.
  • fearturtle44fearturtle44 Member Posts: 35
    Glad to see your MPG is within the sticker parameters. Most people do not take accurate readings and are always overstating their MPG to make their car look good. I don't know how many SUV owners I have encountered that say they are getting 5-10 MPGs over sticker. NO WAY. They are just trying to feel good about paying $2.95 a gallon and only getting 15 MPGs...

Love the YARIS S!!!!

Kevin
  • ctyankee1ctyankee1 Member Posts: 6
    I have a Yaris Sedan-automatic. I got 36.2 mpg after my first fill. Mostly city and some highway. I have been trying to keep it around 60 on the highway. I absolutely love driving the car (and I am not a car person at all, so this love thing is highly unusual!)
  • solarjeepsolarjeep Member Posts: 3
    We picked up the Yaris last Saturday. Took a 356 miles trip yesterday of highyway and city (70/30) and at the mileage came out at 38 mpg.
    I drive I-81 in Virginia and if I drove only 60mph, the truckers would run over me. YIKES. The Yaris supposedly great crash ratings, but I don't want to try it out.

Kevin
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    So, just don't drive in the fast lane and people can pass you on the left.
  • wave54wave54 Member Posts: 211
    So, just don't drive in the fast lane and people can pass you on the left.

That may work for lightly travelled roadways, but there are many occasions where driving 10-20 mph under the prevailing speeds constitutes an extreme hazard to yourself and everyone around you.

Try I-95 along the East coast when the center and right lanes are choked with trucks that want to go 70-75! Cars that want to travel at 80+ are in the left lane.

I drive a sub-compact and my safety isn't worth a couple of mpg. Better to move with the pack.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If the speed limit is 65 or 70, I'd do that rather than drive below it at 60, but I won't do 80 just to keep up with everyone else. I just don't drive in the fast lane in that case.
    I guess speed enforcement doesn't happen where you drive or you can just take your tickets and pay them. "Everyone else is doing it" isn't a defense.
  • gwschgwsch Member Posts: 8
    Average mileage over the first 2,000+ miles and 2 months is 33mpg, mostly city driving on hilly Kansas City roads. Liftback with Automatic. Highest single tanks (twice) was 36mpg, 2/3 interstate driving. Kicking in to serious A/C season here, so not likely to do a great deal better.
  • renkairenkai Member Posts: 1
    How do you guys drive? The yaris is my first car and on my first tank i only got to 280 miles. Do u guys start slow or something? (i drove in streets only)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Street driving is really punishing to overall gas mileage. I have a freeway commute, my wife is a street only driver. When we switch cars the mileage doubles, or MORE, for me.

So for an automatic (sticks get better mileage even though the EPA tests don't show that) take the "combined" mileage as a starting point for actual freeway mileage and then subtract 3-5 mpg as a handicap for EPA "optimism" (that you'll drive moderately); then halve that for city driving only. That is a good estimate in my experience.

Finally, disregard the first tank mileage since dealers are in a hurry to get things done and usually don't "fill" the tank all the way.
  • azyarisazyaris Member Posts: 5
    I have put 6 tanks of gas in my Yaris S averaging 37.2 MPG althogether. I did notice that the air conditioning takes about 1 MPG off the mileage. I have a 5 speed stick and drive both streets and freeway. I must say that I am pleased so far!
    :)
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    how many miles have you got on your car?
  • loulloul Member Posts: 8
    We have about 1,600 miles on our stick-shift Liftback.

Have seen as high as 38 MPG, but 35.5 - 36 MPG seems more realistic given need to run at decent speed on Freeway and using A/C when doing so for Defrost (during our frequent PNW rains) or for cooling in Summer.

We did get 38 MPG on one tank, and I am sure by babying it, we could do that more regularly.

The problem is that my wife drives it faster on the freeway than I do. She says, "It's happy going fast".

So guess we will settle for 35-36 MPG.
    37.3 mpg in city on second fill-up for manual hatchback. Took 9.65 gallons with two bars (1/4 tank) still showing, meaning only 1.45 gallons left in tank. I think I will be looking for the nearest gas station if it ever gets down to just one bar.
  • msibillemsibille Member Posts: 275
    I don't know how many SUV owners I have encountered that say they are getting 5-10 MPGs over sticker. NO WAY.

Not necessarily true.
    I had a 1994 4 Dr Suzuki Sidekick, 1.9litre, manual tranny that consistently gave me 2 to 4 mpg over sticker. Surprised me. (And yes, as a prof. engineer w/ 20, uh something, years experience, I am adept at basic division of trip meter miles divided by gallons req'd to refill.)

The bottom line is that the tests do not truly reflect actual driving that most people do, and the effects of those differences may vary w/ different vehicle designs, particularly box vs. sleek and tranny/differential ratios which shift the "sweet spot" of the mpg curve.
    The epa mpg values are meant only for comparison of one vehicle (of the same class) to another. So, I may get more than sticker w/ a boxy Suzuki Sidekick and slightly less w/ my wife's Honda Ody (as the case happens) because the effects of the difference btwn my patterns and the test are not the same for all vehicles I might drive.

OTOH, if you maintain the vehicle, and operate it conservatively, but still get 20% less than the published estimates, I would look into whether there are other issues.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a or have already purchased the new subcompact cars because of the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are considering.

---------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who have traded-in their larger SUV for a smaller vehicle, because of the high cost of gas. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and car you traded-in and the current car you own.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone know, I am still waiting for my Yaris, but what the manual or real world experience has been on the Yaris, as far as does it have a low fuel light? I heard the last light blinks, sowhen you get down to one bar its solid for a bit then it starts blinking and then your suppose to have a certain amount of gas? maybe 50 miles? or does all the bars disaapear when you are pretty much running really really low? From the sounds of what the person wrote, there is no real way to know how much you really have easily.
    You are correct on what you say. The light blinks on one bar and you probably do have 50-70 miles left. Just make yourself a note that when it is blinking to fill up soon (doesn't have to be ASAP).

Kevin
  • camaicamai Member Posts: 5
    I've got a somewhat unique perspective on the Yaris liftback automatic - we have two of them. Anyway, one has been driven from Houston to LA and averaged 38 mpg. However, three tanks (2 in Houston and 1 in LA)of primarily city driving averaged 25 - 26 mpg. The other car has only had Houston city driving and has averaged a similar 25 mpg on all four of its tanks. Very disappointing. I could say it is my two sons' driving style but the LA tank was mine and I was conciously trying to drive conservative. :(
  • stinkyreeferstinkyreefer Member Posts: 5
    That is what I'm talking about, REAL city driving. I am assuming you mean Los Angeles by LA? Driving 20 miles on LA and OC freeways is completely different than driving on "hilly Kansas roads". The hills mean nothing compared to stop and go gridlock for 40 minutes.
  • azyarisazyaris Member Posts: 5
    I have about 2600 miles on it. I do drive over 70 on the highway, (when not stuck in traffic!)
  • jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    Camai, I'll bet you mean Louisiana by LA and NOT Los Angeles.

Anyway, I've heard that Texas uses Ethanol blend gas which cuts your MPG significantly. Some Honda Fit owners in Texas have been reporting similar results.

I drive a Honda Fit in NC which does not use ethanol. I average ~37 MPG in 50/50 city/hwy driving with 100% a/c use. I think that your results would be very similar if you were not using ethanol. The Fit is very comparable to the Yaris in EPA ratings. (The Yaris is just a tad higher.)

Also, try bumping up your COLD tire pressure to 2 or 3 psi above the recommended level. It won't hurt your tire wear or affect ride quality that much, but it will help improve your MPG. Also consider switching to synthetic oil (like Mobil One) once you do your oil change. They are a little more expensive, but can possibly add to your MPG. Anyway, it's worth trying.
  • camaicamai Member Posts: 5
    LA is Los Angeles. The ethanol blends have only shown up in Houston the past few weeks. I think only one tank was with a blend and that was the one that averaged 37 mpg on the highway going to west Texas.
  • psu91psu91 Member Posts: 4
    My first fill up was at 435 miles, and it took 9.7 gallons. My calculations were 44.8 MPG, mostly all highway with 2 bars still on the gauge. Sedan/5 speed.....
  • asa805asa805 Member Posts: 29
    Ive been doing primarily city driving (probably around 90%) in my Yaris liftback Automatic and have just had my first fillup. IM incredibly dissapointed to be getting 27 MPG!!! I did 270 miles and filled the tank up 10 gallons.

I havent driven above 70. Admiitadly i do press hard on the brakes and accelerate quickly but i cant see how that would cause 10MPG difference between other Yaris owners.

Does anyone know if NYC (Queens) has ethanol blended gas and how could i tell which gas stations do or do not use that? Did i get a dud?? :(
    Admiitadly i do press hard on the brakes and accelerate quickly but i cant see how that would cause 10MPG difference between other Yaris owners.

I have a 4cyl w/auto and you can indeed lose 10 mpg in heavy city driving. Hard on the gas and brakes will do that!
    If the station is selling ethanol, it will state that on the pump.
  • violinviolin Member Posts: 20
    The entire NYC region (which includes parts of NJ and CT) is required to use reformulated gasoline. Since they stopped using MTBE, we've been getting ethanol. I'm getting very disappointing mileage with my Yaris liftback automatic (I live in NJ). Granted I generally drive 70-80 mph on the highway but I've only been averaging about 30 mpg. Next time I'm in South Jersey, I'll fill up with non-blended gasoline and see what I get.
  • asa805asa805 Member Posts: 29
    Ok so let me get this straight. Ethanol is cheaper and more readily available than petrol and gas stations are getting tax credits from the fed gov. by using it. And yet we are still being charged well over $3 a gallon at the pumps for significantly less miles per gallon. I understand the whole saving the enviroment bit but somehow I feel like im getting really ripped off here. Please correct me if i am wrong.
  • violinviolin Member Posts: 20
    I won't correct you.
    Unless a car is flex-fuel capable, I believe it can't safely run on anything more than a 10% ethanol blend. E85, with 85% ethanol, will drop fuel economy significantly (20-30%) and should be priced accordingly. In Brazil, E85 is 1/3 less than regular gasoline.

I live in CT and all stations switched from MTBE to 10% ethanol some time ago. Gas mileage shouldn't suffer any more than 5% -- still 1.5 to 2 mpg with an economy car. No discounts due to the complexity of blending ethanol into the gas -- it can't be piped -- must be blended at each terminal.
  • jrlncjrlnc Member Posts: 48
    I have a Honda Fit and get great mileage, but my state (NC) is not yet using ethanol. Others who live in ethanol blend states appear to be getting 20% worse fuel economy with the same model.

The dirty little secret is that ethanol is actually MORE polluting, costs more to the consumer, takes government subsidies (which adds to our cost), and give poorer fuel economy. I also don't like the idea that ethanol is produced using precious farmland, water, fertilizer, etc. There is something terribly wrong with the whole idea.
  • ronald711ronald711 Member Posts: 44
    Well I just bought an automatic sport sedan, it had 46 miles on it when the dealer filled it up, I drove 409 miles at 10.032 gallons to refill it up, that is about 40.7 MPG. I am very much impressed, and the car is not even broken in. and that included some air and city driving. So will see what a few more fill up's yield, but Im very happy. I ran it down to the last bar on the gas gauge, which odly enough once it hit that last segment it was flashing like once a second, which the manual said it would start out slow, but to me that was pretty fast, so I filled up shortly after, but only got 10 gallons in, next time I will drive atleast another 20 to 25 miles once it starts flashing just so I build my comfort zone with the low fuel warning light this car has.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    Jeezuz H, really? Can it be that bad with the small amount blended in? with all the controversy about how much energy it takes to make the ethanol, it does seem like a great red herring.
  • bob104bob104 Member Posts: 94
    I've seen estimates of 1.5%-3% reduction in mpg using E10, 10% ethanol blend, with the higher figure being the one I trust. That's about a 1 mpg loss. Ethanol produces less energy than gasoline, gallon per gallon. Similarly diesel produces about 10% more energy, partly accounting for the higher mpg of diesel cars. E85 seems to produce about a 10-15% reduction in mpg, but, as someone commented, it is necessary to have a flex-fuel vehicle to use it. The lower energy in ethanol is due to the partially oxidized bond that defines it as an alcohol rather than an alkane. Think of it as an alkane/alkene that has already been partly burned.

I am not thrilled with ethanol. In Brazil, it means converting rainforest to monoculture sugar cane production. Worldwide it means using food for transportation, much of it unnecessary transportation.

Also, ethanol probably costs more energy to produce than it gives off. It's made relatively inexpensive due to massive farm subsidies that politicians are addicted to.

Get a small car, drive less and carpool. Get an electric bike. Mine averages 23 mph with moderate pedalling and gets about 2000 mpg. True cost to operate is 3 cents a mile vs. about 45 cents a mile for Yaris. I substitute 3000 miles a year of car travel with my LAFree Sport. The LAFree Lite is very good too.

In reporting mpg it's a good idea to fill the tank first oneself, recording the odometer reading, then refilling the tank, noting the gallons used and the miles covered. Several tanksful using this method will give a very accurate report, especially when driving conditions are noted: city/hwy, a/c use, driving style, etc.
    Bob
    thanks bob104, informative post.

Most of the analysis I've seen says that it takes less energy to make ethanol than it uses. Estimates vary quite a bit, though.

Bicycles are great if you don't mind taking your life in your hands. In Portland Oregon, realistically, I am not going to be using one outside of summer. Too much rain and cold for me.

My biggest hope involves the plug in hybrid, which rumor has it toyota will manufacture a prius with this feature in 2008-9. There are also add-on firms modifying cars to be plug in.

We are also supposed to start seeing clean diesel cars in the next couple years as well.

At any rate, we have a 56 cent tax on ethanol imports, which seems rather dumb. Better to sent the money to the middle east?
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I am a Chevrolet Aveo owner and my mileage dropped alot when they change to the summer blend of gas we get...which is ethenol blend. My city mpg went from 31-32 down to 27..and I am a slow driver with a 5-speed. When I am visiting my parents in the east part of the state where they dont use ethenol I get much better mileage. I have tried this 3 times to be sure it wasnt my imagination.
    Yes, Portland is pretty rainy. I don't ride in the rain either, but we don't have much here in San Luis Obispo, CA.

There's a great article in a recent Popular Mechanics about 10 energy solutions. One of them is the plug-in hybrid. The bit of technology that helps make this work is the lithium battery. It has about 3 times the capacity of lead-acid and about 50% more than the current standard, nickel metal dihydride. But the efficiency isn't much better overall than gasoline. The advantage is that you can "fill er up" with domestic electricity derived of wind, hydro, solar or, er, nuke. All of them have their own problems and costs. The only free ride is in the empty seats in American cars. That's why I like my 2000 mpg electic-bike. In the future cars that can tow a trailer will not be used to pick up a quart of milk. Vehicles will be tuned to driving needs: ebikes for commuting (2000 mpg-equivalent), small 30-mph electric cars for neighborhood travel (150 mpg-equivalent), efficiently powered conventional and diesel subcompacts (50-60 mpg).

Clean diesels do seem to be coming down the pike, lead by Europe's need to clean up their smog. Not sure they'll ever get clean enough for California. I believe the VW Lupo gets up to 80 mpg.

NEWS FLASH: The current issue of Popular Mechanics rated four subcompacts on their loop track as follows: Yaris, 37; Honda Fit, 35.8; Nissan Versa, 27.8; Kia Rio, 30.3. Sorry, I'm just reporting here: They preferred the Fit overall.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    were they testing the 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback sold here in the States or the 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan in that current Popular Mechanics issue?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I think it was a hatchback. Also, PM has an article on alternative fuels. They calculated ethanol to cost about $2.41 GGE, gallons gasoline equivalent, when gasoline cost $2.14. The graph was very complex, however, so I'm not quite sure what to make of this dated info.
    Bob,

I am afraid most americans won't buy in to your vision of the future.

Not to get long winded, I'll simply say that a vehicle that gets its first 50 miles a day off electric power charged overnight (when demand is slack), greatly reduces our dependence on oil..while costing the consumer less money. A very small percentage of our electricity is derived from oil. If I could get my first 50 electrically, I would very rarely see a gas station. BTW, they also are looking at uploading electricty from cars back into the grid.

If i recall, the Yaris tested was a sedan s. not that i would bet my life on my memory.

SLO used to be a nice sleepy town. I bet it is overrun now. no?
    It's true that Americans are by and large a stubborn bunch and seem willing to go to war for petroleum rather than drive sane cars. They won't buy them willingly, but when gasoline is $10 a gallon (next summer?) they will be forced to go efficient. The technologies I outline are the likely way we'll go by my best reckoning.

SLO is still kinda sleepy. Not too overrun as we have a growth cap of 2.3%. You can get a nice-ish 3/2 home here for $800,000. Knockdowns start at about $550,000 for a 2/1, no garage. But it's the perfect town for ebiking.

Anyway, thanks to all for on this list for our common sense when it comes to cars.
    Bob
    Sorry, I was in a rush and didn't respond to your point about plug-ins. Yes, they will be part of the mix, for sure, especially now that lithium batteries, with triple the energy capacity of lead-acid coming on strong. A bit of arithmetic: 100 lbs of lithium batteries stores about 6 hp for an hour, or 36 hp for 10 minutes. That would take you around town at 25 mph in a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle NEV, better known as a golf cart, for about an hour. Not bad. Each 100 pounds reduces mpg by 1% in a conventional car, so the hybrid concept might not be too bad an idea. It's making a car that is JUST strong enough for the highway but light enough for city efficiency that will be the hard trick requiring a new traffic culture. Regards,Bob
    Bob, I replied over here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0b7a1b/40

too off topic for this board. I got redressed for talking diesel here once before.
  • rodnreelrodnreel Member Posts: 13
    City HWY MPG
    35% 65% 33.7
    40% 60% 33.6
    25% 75% 35.8
    25% 75% 35.8
    20% 80% 35.9
    25% 75% 35.5
    25% 75% 35.0
    25% 75% 36.0
    25% 75% 37.1

I have a Liftback and have been running the AC quite a bit. I'm usually driving 75-80 MPH on the HWY. As you can see my mileage keeps improving.
    good notes R n R.
  • jsoarjsoar Member Posts: 4
    I just did my first fill-up on my new LB with manual transmission. I don’t know if the dealer topped off the tank completely or at what milage. It had 22 miles when I got it. But it appears that I got about 42 mpg. It was 95% open road driving at around 50 to 55 mph, no AC running, 10% ethanol. I’m in the flat lands of the mid-west, and in no hurry anymore. I expect it to get better when broken in. I’m pleased.
  • cohencoycohencoy Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem! I'm just so pissed about it too! I got the car on 6/12. My first two tanks were exclusively city driving (HOU, TX) which means lots of bumper to bumper traffic and some stretches of 60+ mph. So both of those tanks were 23 miles per gallon! WTF is that about? :confuse: on Monday I drove to Austin going close to 80 the whole way plus some hwy driving there and got 30 miles per gallon...I filled it up tonight and for the first time was able to put 11 gallons in and my trip meter said 330 miles. What is the problem? Granted, it is very hot and the A/C is blowing cold and the ipod is playing, but still....is there something wrong with mine? :cry:
    BTW,I'm in Drive, I do not have the parking break on, I'm not towing anything, nor am I loaded down with stuff.
    What gives?! Is mine just a :lemon: ???
  • lucynethellucynethel Member Posts: 81
    To add insult to injury......I just sold my 5 month old Chrysler PT Cruiser with 800 (HUNDRED!) miles on it to buy this Yaris! I had the 4 cyl., NON turbo 5 speed stick on my PT. Got 18-20 MPG in mixed driving. Car had SOUL that's missing on my Yaris. Also had POWER etc. But I was cheap. And I wanted that Toyota "PIECE OF MIND" back! I also watched Motorweek who said they got a "FINE 36 MPG IN MIXED DRIVING" with their test car. Then, my Popular mechanics came.....37 MPG in mixed driving. Now? I am simply MIXED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a bit fed up too. :sick: