Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• podredpodred Posts: 127
    Sorry for the typo !

t was not until people were responding to 12 psi over that I noticed that indeed what I typed was wrong and not what I carry in my tires.

What I meant to post is that I carry 5psi over for a total of 37 psi instead of the 32 on the door label. I have found that this is the sweet spot, for the tires on my Yaris. I carry a tread depth gauge and weekly perform tire pressure and tread depth operations. I also rotate and balance my tires twice a year.

This is how I always obtain extremely good life from my tires. I have been doing this for years with every car I have and it's really worth the effort. I always run my tires over the mfg suggested pressure but not 5 psi on every car. Some less, some a bit more, as I base it on taking readings with the tread depth gauge on a regular basis. By monitoring wear and determining what each vehicle needs for pressure, I'm able to extend tire life and obtain even tread depth across the entire surface of the tire. It is not unusual for me to obtain at least 20% greater life than stated for a particular brand and model of tire.

Thanks for calling that typo to my attention.
  • I run the 44 lbs. maximum shown on the sidewall, and have for the past 14,000 miles. My Yaris HB has 16,000 miles. Tire wear is very even across the tires. I know of many other hypermilers doing the same, and no problem with uneven tire wear.
    I have 8/32 tread depth front, and 6/32 tread wear rear. As you many know, the original equipment tires wear rather fast. There are much better tires as replacements.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a specific replacement tire that you like? And if so, what kind of long term mileage to expect to get before it's time to replace them?
    Thanks!
  • To anyone who is inflating their Yaris's tires to 44 psi: I say to you, please desist!! It's potentially very dangerous.

Like most people, I usually inflate several psi higher than the door jamb sticker. That means 35psi for my Alero 4cyl. But 44psi is really pushing the limits of the Yaris's tiny tires. Plus, you're promoting premature tire wear because less of the tread is touching the pavement at that pressure.

Finally, and most importantly, you're seriously risking a catastrophic hydroplaning event!! The Yaris is light enough the way it is; with super-pumped tires, it'll skate over a rainpuddle and land you in a ditch. Please, the few mpg you save aren't worth your life.
    All one has to do is lookup the actual facts.
    Not opinions.
    44psi is stamped on the side of the tire so that one knows the load limit and psi ceiling that is perfectly safe to use. Every tire sold, has that data on the sidewall for a reason. That reason is safety. There is no reason not to inflate to maximum pressure if that is what one wants to do.
  • Thank you podred. I agree with you.
    On two gas saving webpages, which I am not allowed to show here, most are doing the max shown on the sidewall. None are having problems, and all are getting better mileage. I do not think there is a safety problem with going up to the max on the sidewall. Tire wear is normal.
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    For liability reasons, the tire maker is not going to post an unsafe maximum PSI on a tire that he manufactures. Enough said, one less catastrophe to worry about.
    FYI: The information posted on the sidewalls of all passenger cars is federally mandated. It's the law. Period. There is not a single tire maker that is going to risk the liability, law suits, and ruiness reputation that would result from posting false info on their tires.

One of the greatest causes of premature wear is underinflation. All one has to do is walk behind the tire store to the pile of tires they have removed when installing new tires. You will notice that the very center of the tread surface has at least 50% remaining while the shoulder of the tire is bald. This is what you get when you run the _auto makers_ suggested pressure. (Not that of the tire maker). They do not care how much tire life you get, they just want to you experience a soft ride. Believe me I used to own five tire stores. I know of what I speak. I have no reason to mislead you. Do yourself and your wallet a favor. Run at least 5psi more than the pressure indicated on the door sticker. You will increase your tire life by at least 10,000 miles, minimum. Check them once a month and you're all set.

Cheers!
  • exactly - good post!!
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    So we finally had a nice little road trip for the Yaris. For the record: Auto Sedan with 2000 miles, sport kit, cruise control and average spd of 70 to 75 mph on mostly level highway with AC on the whole time, managed to do 36 mpg. I honestly expected maybe 38, as my Auto Echo did the trip and made about 41mpg, but still not bad and a bit more comfortable for the ride. I love that I can stretch my legs out straight in the Yaris - I can't quite do that in the Echo.
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Posts: 13
    So what is the AVERAGE MPG for a Yaris ?
  • katmandu2katmandu2 Posts: 13
    There is a GREAT way to track your Yaris's fuel mileage/usage On-Line!

Go to www.GasPrices.com and use the FUEL LOG feature.
    This is a great question!
    One that varies widely, depending on a several variables.
    1) Is it a Sedan, or Hatchback?
    2) Does it have a manual or automatic transmission?
    3) How heavy is one's right foot?
    4) Flat terrain, or hilly?
    5) City, freeway or mixed?
    6) What percentage of mileage if mixed?
    Obviously a topic that can be discussed for a very long time.

Bottom line, what I use as an indicator when buying a new car is the Fuel Economy Numbers on the Window Sticker.

Why? Because the one thing we do know is that all new cars of the same model year are tested under the same conditions. Therefore, while your mileage may be greater or lesser than what's on the sticker, at least you can compare one car to the next with the peace of mind knowing they all went through the same test.

Cheers!
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    FWIW, I had a 2007 LB with 5 speed and got an overall average of 38 mpg during the 4,500 miles I kept it (traded it in on an Odyssey for the family!). I almost got a second Yaris last week, but got a base Fit 5 speed 2008 instead. Although the rpm seem to be much higher on the Fit (the Yaris did not have a tach, but I read the 60 mph rpm in some review and it was lower) but the Fit still delivers great gas mileage.

BTW, the Yaris LB rides like a Cadillac compared to the Fit. And the Fit handles like a MINI compared to the Yaris LB - although for 2008, on the LB I test drove, the handling at 70-80 is more stable than on the 2007 - about what my 2007 was like AFTER I added the TRD sway bar to it. I suspect that a 2008 Yaris LB with the sway bar would be slick.

Gosh I love micro-cars!
  • I just bought a red 2008 four-door Yaris. It's approaching 1,000 miles now. I have driven it in all kinds of terrain, up steep mountain passes here in Colorado, in the city, hill country, muddy dirt roads, etc.

When I first drove it off the lot, the tank was full. I drove it 118 miles and then topped it off. I did the math, and it said 47 mpg. My ex said 'no way that's right' and I checked again after a further 39 miles--and it took 8.6 tenths of a gallon--45 mpg. I called her again--she also has a brand new Yaris--and told her, and she said 'something doesn't add up' so I waited until there was only one bar left on the guage and put around ten gallons or whatever in the tank--did the math and that time it said 38.6 mpg. Boy was I disappointed! The next time I filled her up, I waited until down to two bars, and did the math, and that time it said 42.7 mpg. I can be happy with that. I think I will inflate the tires now to 37 psi, after reading this forum, and see if it improves. I do a lot of idling, so if I cut that off, I'm sure it will do better. What's the BEST mpg anyone has enjoyed with their four-door, 5-speed manual tranny yaris?
  • geonerdgeonerd Posts: 8
    I'm pretty sure that higher pressures will actually reduce the possibility of hydroplaning.
  • yarisssyarisss Posts: 1
    Just finished my first tank. I put 46psi in the tires right from the start, and drove conservatively for most of it, and tried to time the traffic lights sometimes. Driving was a mixture of highway and city. On the highway, I tried to stay around 100km/hr (62mph), though often ended up going close to 70mph. I did floor it a few times while accelerating, so I'm sure I could do much better if I really tried. Great little car, I'm happy. The gas was from Petro Canada (in Ontario). Does anyone know if this gas has ethanol in it? What companies sell gas without Ethanol?
  • woodsie1woodsie1 Posts: 4
    i just filled up my 2008 lift back auto for the first time after inital dealer fill. with a mix of highway and city driving i got 36 mpg, only $30 what a treat compared to what i had been paying. 70mph max ,32psi,
  • I am on my third tank and average 41 mpg with my 2dr coupe manual transmission.
    This is combined driving with 40 psi in tires. Note I drive very conservatively and shift early "low rpm's" and coast to red lights, often seeing them change to green without having to stop. I am thinking of installing a K&N airfilter to get another mpg but have heard of some problems with the toyota's, any experience out there?
    As a longtime Racer / Mechanic / Enthusiast I have a lot of experience with K&N filters. l find them an excellent product for racing applications. Not for the street. Personally on my Yaris I would not install a K&N if it was free. While I think these filters are very well made and great product, they are not advantageous on a Yaris, or any other production line car. They require more cleaning and maintenance to effectively deliver clean air to the engine and there is no noticeable performance increase to justify the cost.

Remember that Toyota's engineers know what they are doing and to achieve long engine life leave your car alone. Ignore the boastful claims from people who have them installed and "claim a performance increase" as the "seat of the pants" experience is largely affected by the ego of the owner, how much he/she invested in a certain "improvement". If you want a true measurable result just look at the dyno test info which reveals little if any difference. Certainly not enough to put up with the hassle of repeatedly having to clean the filer assembly. Take it from someone who knows....
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Get a good tire gage.

Inflate tires to slightly below maximum number on the side wall. Get the tires good and warmed up.

>With the load normally carried.

>Find a good stretch of straight smooth road.

>When there is no traffic and the car still on the road, put a chalk mark across the tread of a front and rear tire. Put the mark in a couple of places, so you can find at least one, later.

>With as little turning of the steering wheel possible, drive 1/2 mile. Coast to a stop and examine the chalk marks. It will probably be worn off in the middle. Tire is over inflated.

> Let a little air out , re chalk and do it again.

> Continue doing this until the chalk wears off evenly, across the tread.

> At that point, the tire pressure is correct and all the tread is on the road evenly.

> Go home and let the car sit in the shade a few hours. When you would normally check your pressure, do so. That is the "Cold" pressure you want to keep the tires at.

> You may notice that one end of the car requires more than the other.

> If the chalk refuses to wear evenly "ACROSS" the tread, you may have an alignment problem.

You will now have an accurate point of reference for your tires on your car with your gauge.

Kip
  • psulionspsulions Posts: 22
    The best you are going to do at 55mph on the highway without wind and hills is high is 38-40mpg. DO NOT TRY TO GO 8O and expect great mileage! The car is blunt in front and the drag is exponentially higher at higher speeds. Regardless, I still got 33mpg.

I'm getting 35 in the city. Love this little car. More headroom than my accord!

The one thing I don't like is the way the transmission upshifts automatically when coasting down a hill at higher speeds. Other than that I am very happy. I spent 8 hours in the car last week on a long road trip and it was pretty comfortable. Really quiet too for a smaller car.

I paid 14,500 for a 07 Sedan automatic with the upgraded interior. (HD heater, power, cruise, carpet, mats, 15" tires yada yada)

Total cost of ownership is very very good if it holds up.

Later!
  • 04/29/2008 336.1 miles, 6.491 gals, no highway driving. 51.77 mpg
    04/18/2008 264.0 miles, 4.988 gals, no highway driving. 52.92 mpg
    04/09/2008 235.7 miles, 4.661 gals, no highway driving. 50.56 mpg
    April has been good to me, my best month ever. avg. 51.8 mpg
    yes, I am a hypermiler!
  • mine is a 08 sedan s 5 speed i avg 41.7 mpg highest so far 42.6 mpg i'm lovin it
    How in the world are you doing it! You must be pissing off everyone behind you and running red lights. :)
  • Anyone driving a Yaris carefully can achieve this kind of mileage.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I disagree with your comment that 41 mpg is easy to hit.

But I'm an easy driver, and with my Yaris I easily hit 38 mpg ALL THE TIME on my 40 mile freeway commute during the commute hour (in other words, some slow and go sections).

On the other hand maybe our numbers are very close, since I live in Cali and we use 10% ethanol in our gas, which is supposed to knock mileage down by 10% - almost exactly the spread between our two numbers.
  • It is hard to convince my wife to let me use her Yaris (AT) but I have used it for 4 weeks in the last 3 months and my average is 42.3 MPG.

I have a 40 mile commute, 50% highway, 50% stop and go.

I am sure that in summer the numbers will improve quite a bit.
    I'll buy between 38 and 42. People getting mileage in the 50's are driving miss daisy and pissing off other drivers. Either that or someone is towing them behind an SUV.
  • mhansonmhanson Posts: 1
    My 2007 Yaris with AT gets 34 mpg. I have tried a K&N air filter, synthetic oil, and max tire pressure with little improvement. I drive 65-70 mph and mostly highway miles in light traffic. My spacious, quiet and comfortable 2000 Camry gets over 30 mpg, so this car is a disappointment so far.