Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• ramblinmoramblinmo Posts: 38
    18.5 miles highway with 1.5 miles city driving each way to work and back. 2 stop lights. Travel speed is 70 mph highway and 30-35 mph city. No trips to report as this is my commuter car. I sometimes drive 60 to 65 mph highway and push 38 mpg in my commute.

Almost always a 9.5 gallon fill up.

08 Flint Mica 4 door, 5 speed w/power package with door dings.& scraped wheel covers.
  • dakedake Posts: 131
    It used to be, but then it turned into a slap-fight! :D :D

Go back a few pages and you'll see some numbers - many of them seem outrageously high.

We just did a drive to Austin and back at 75 mph (posted limits are 70) with the occasional 80+ mph pass and averaged about 38mpg for the highway portions.

In city driving with heavy traffic, ours holds steady at 30 mpg.

We have an '08 automatic Yaris Sedan, with the factory body-kit and AC running the whole time.
  • frosty8frosty8 Posts: 4
    Is this kind of Mileage common with the 2010 models 5 door with Automatic Trans.
    Mike
  • pricen2pricen2 Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    Driving a UK '08 5 door diesel hatchback Yaris (manual).

Normal city driving I'm getting around 46mpg(US). On motorway, about 70+mph, I'm getting closer to 41mpg(US). On open roads, upto 60mph it can get to 54mpg(US) if I'm careful and don't nail it when going uphill.

I want this figures to rise!

Has anyone used any basic, so called, 'hypermiling techniques', and what mpg were they achieving?
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    I don't think that anyone in the USA/Canada has ever seen a diesel Yaris, much less driven one. It looks like you are getting about 10-20% better gas MPG than we get with our E10 gasoline engines. Diesel sells for 10-20% more than E10 so I guess it's a wash.
  • matticusmatticus Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    I have a new 2011 Toyota Yaris 3dr Liftback with the Convenience and Cold Weather Packages w/ the 5-speed manual transmission. I shift at 2000rpm and it takes me about 50 more feet to get up to speed than most other people. I get the mileage by filling up the tank and taking that number and dividing it by the trip meter. I'm in Illinois, so it is basically flat everywhere.

Tank #1 36.46MPG 06-21-2011(half and half) (spent 2 hours practicing getting into 1st gear as I have never driven manual before)

Tank #2 41.17MPG 06-29-2011 (mostly highway) (AC on most of the time)
  • lhansonlhanson Posts: 268
    Keep us updated matticus. I have averaged 36.3 mpg with 78% city driving for the four years I have owned by automatic transmission 2007 Yaris. I have a little over 30,000 miles on my car. The only thing I have done to it is change oil every 3,000 miles and the front wiper blades.
  • More numbers:

40.76MPG 07-13-2011 (mix)
    40.07MPG 07-26-2011
    42.04MPG 08-1-2011 (drove with traffic over 80mph often)
    39.08MPG 08-12-2011 (drove with traffic again, it didn't work out as well)
  • Even more numbers:

41.69MPG 08-24-2011 (drove 55, shifted at 2000rpm)
    42.73MPG 09-06-2011 (drove 55, shifted at 2000rpm)
    43.04MPG 09-21-2011 (drove 55, shifted at 2000rpm)
    43.14MGP 10-8-2011 (drove 55, shifted at 2000rpm)

I drive both in the city and on the interstate, but more often on the Interstate. I make sure I have plenty of room from the car in front of me when traffic is backed up so I rarely have to hit my brakes and it has worked well for me. I see a sea of break lights ahead of me while I'm just rolling along. I occasionally downshift to slow myself down. There is no escape when there is an extended stop though.
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    Hey Matticus...I'm reading your 6/30 post on your '11 3dr liftback model. Can I ask...what "convenience and cold weather package?" I've looked at the '11 and
    '12 catalog for both the 3 and 5dr models, all trim levels. No where does that
    appear. Do you have in fact, a Canadian model Yaris? That's the only one I know of that comes with said packages. Winter package would imply heated outside mirrors as well. I know that the US models do not include such a feature.
    Please explain that. What does your convenience and cold weather package include? Thanks.
  • I saw it on Toyota's 2011 "Build your Yaris" for my zip code and it was also on the window tag, which I still have. It is a US model as far as I know and I haven't had luck finding anything online either. Here is what it says:

"All-Weather Guard Package:" Looks like I got the name wrong.
    Larger Window Washer Tank with Low-Level Warning Indicator Lamp, Heavy-Duty Heather, Heavy-Duty Starter, and Rear Heater Duct

Then there is the "Convenience Package" which includes:
    AM/FM CD Player with MP3/WMA Playback Capability, XM Compatible (additional hardware & subscription required), Auxiliary Audio Jack, CD Text Display Function, 60:40 Split, Sliding, Reclining, Fold-Flat Rear Seat Functions, P185/60R15 on 15" Steel Wheels with Full Wheel Covers, and Rear Window Wiper.
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    Ok Matticus, thanks for clarifying that. Yes, the infamous "all-weather guard package" that does NOT include heatable or heated outside power mirrors. For
    the '12 model year, I did not even see that package offered on any version here
    in western NY state. More decontenting going on with Toyota? Just FYI, for the
    Canadian version, 5 door LE model, it includes the following..but the list is far
    from complete. I copied and pasted it here. It never ceases to amaze me how Toyota will market its cars differently in North America. I live 2 hours from the Canadian border. Yet, I can not own their version and plate it here.
    Obviously, the cars are very similar. But they offer more value for their versions there. In fact, their SE model even offers an automatic rain sensing wiper system. It isn't found even as an option or "enhanced convenience package" for the US market. Only option is 'cruise control.' I say "duh" to that. Thanks for clarifying your '11 Yaris specs...no doubt, it is a "U.S." model.
    * From $14,890*

* Star Safety SystemTM
    * 9 Airbags, Including Front Seat Cushion Airbags
    * Electric Rack and Pinion Power Steering
    * Power Door Locks
    * Multi-Information Display
    * 5-Door Convenience
    * Power-Adjustable, Colour-keyed Heated Exterior Mirrors
    * And More

The Convenience Package adds:

* Air Conditioning
    * Power Windows
    * Cruise Control
    * Keyless Entry
  • My 2009 four door sedan (automatic) was my daily commute road warrior since May 2009. However my daughter recently totaled her POS Chevy Cobalt (she is just fine, thank goodness) and so she is inheriting my faithful Yaris. The Yaris has ZERO problems after 66,000 miles, and still obtains about 30 to 32 mpg in mostly city driving, about 36 mpg in hwy. Even the original brake pads still have decent amount left and may go until 80K or 90K. What an amazing little car.

Anyway, I have now acquired a 2010 Prius with mileage of 45K for what I think was a very fair price ($15,400 plus tax and $399 dealer fee), and I am hoping that the increase in gas mileage and the stellar reliability reputation of the Prius will make me a happy customer when combined with the various small creature comforts that the Prius offers over the Yaris (SmartKey entry system, steering wheel controls, a conventional cupholder, a real center armrest, a hatchback for easily hauling various flea market items, and a more firmly planted, quieter ride, IMHO). My Yaris is a wonderful utilitarian vehicle, and I damn near bought another one, but the very good price I paid for this Prius convinced me to take the hybrid leap.

However I never would have purchased a new Prius; the cost of a new Prius seems so high that it seemingly would take a decade of driving to realize any petrol saving, unless you do a LOT of driving. Furthermore, the argument for the Prius over the Yaris has more to do with the overall comfort of the driving/ride experience rather than the comparative operating costs, because the Yaris is relatively inexpensive, extremely fuel efficent, and so darn reliable.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,690
    in my '12 Yaris SE 5-speed has produced an underwhelming 37 mpg - 363 miles, 9.8 gallons. But it is the dead of winter, so I have long warm-up times in the morning while I try to melt all the ice off the windshield, and we have winterized gas which always produces worse mileage.

Despite that, I am going to shoot for better - it seems getting 40+ mpg won't be effortless like it was in my Echo. But if I go back to focusing on the little things that can boost mileage, like coasting to stoplights and keeping the overall speeds down a bit, I'm hopeful I can get near 40 in the new car.

On a related note, it seems the "average MPG" readout on the dash computer is about 1 point optimistic, slightly more accurate than the one in my Subaru which is 1.5 mpg optimistic.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Don't forget, there is a difference between summer fuel and winter fuel and the winter fuel will hurt your MPG every time.
    Duly remembered, thanks! On the second tank I managed 38 mpg, and I'm probably going for gas again in the next couple of days so we will see whether my continued efforts to focus on my highway speeds to improve the numbers are helping at all.....

With any luck, this will be a 40 MPG car like my last one in all seasons but winter.

tonight's fill-up, 345 miles, 9.1 gallons, 38 mpg again (OK, 37.9)...well it's better than 37. Shooting for 39 next!

• kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    What MPG differences are you observing between the Yaris and Prius under similar driving conditions?

What other differences?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • My Yaris (now my daughter's car) can do 36 to 38 mpg on the highway, and 40 mpg with a tailwind, but of course in the city it barely managed 30 mpg. Still it was a great econo-car value for the price I paid ($11,700 plus tax, tag, title, and dealer's baloney Toyoguard fee and dealer fee of 600 bucks). I was still out the door for about $13,600, and for that price I thought that car was a great value (automatic, power windows/locks/ keyless entry).

The Prius however, and as you probably well know, seems to do similar mileage numbers no matter highway or city; it is not the speed that affects the Prius as much as it is the hills that affect the mileage in my Prius. Atlanta is not a flat city, and I sometimes dread climbing a big hill and watching my MPG instant feedback "needle" dive down to zero. Also, those first five minutes in the Prius are not good for much better than 25 mpg, so short trips really impact mileage and its hard for me to believe that the Yaris was subject to such a penalty for its warm-up time.

Nevertheless, after 867 miles and 18.06 gallons I am averaging 48.0 mpg (the computer tells me 50.0, but we all know it fudges that number) so I am fairly pleased.

As for other factors? The ride in the Yaris was not harsh, and was relatively quiet for an econobox, but the Prius has a larger wheelbase and it really improves the ride. I feel planted to the road more than I did in the Yaris. It's also a tad quieter than the Yaris. I love the cockpit of the Prius; the waterfall dash puts everything at hands' reach. I especially love the Smart Key feature in which the door unlocks the minute I touch the driver's door handle. And the hatchback is more practical--if I want to get something home from the flea market, the Prius will make it possible, whereas certain things just won't go in the Yaris.

Hope that answers your question on basic differences.
  • I am getting almost 33 mpg so far - all city driving - have a little over 400 miles on odometer - so far very happy with the car!
    How accurate do you find the average mpg meter on the IP computer to be? I find mine to be about 1 point optimistic....

• I don't know yet, but next time I fill up I'll check the MPG the old fashioned way - if it's like my '01 Corolla (what a great car!) the MPG should improve a little over time as the engine gets broken in - right now I have around 450 on the odometer, it had 90 miles on it the day I got it...then again, by me driving in 3rd gear the other night @50 mph the engine is probably already broken in!!! :-(

One thing I've noticed too with the Yaris, the ride isn't as smooth as my '01 Corolla, so I checked the air pressure the other day in my tires and they were all around 37-39 psi, the recommended psi is 33 so that is probably why it was a little rough, I know the dealerships will over-inflate the tires a little because the new cars are sitting around on the lot and lose air pressure over time...

Even though I've only had the car 2 weeks I am happy with it so far - I find the driver's seat to be very comfortable too.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    yes, the added air pressure is to prevent flat spots from developing, especially in cars shipped from over sees. However, the pressure is normally around 45. Yours was a bit lower, so it appears that the dealer at least let a little air out before parking it on the lot.
    I have an SE - I wanted an even firmer ride (and sharper handling) than the one you got. :-)

And yes, I love the driver's seat, so much better than the one in the last-model Yaris. Toyota is finally, it seems, learning a thing or two about adequate lumbar support.

• You know I don't think I saw any SE's at the dealerships I went to - maybe they are on the way (?)
  • Checked the MPG last night after filling up (the regular way) on my new 2012 Yaris LE 3DR - I was pleasantly surprised to find that I got 34.5 mpg! This is about 90% city driving... the onboard mpg computer said it was 33.6 -

Have 650 miles on the odometer -

Needless to say I am happy with the MPG so far! :)
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    edited February 2012
    thanks for the post. Your model has now risen to the top of my list above the Fit. With gas prices climbing, the Fit's gas mileage just doesn't cut it. I sure wish Toyota had put a 6 speed tranny in the yaris to maximize on mileage; too bad. I am also interested in the Prius C, but know that it has a CVT, and lots of writers to include those at MotorWeek, are not fans of the CVT. I'm curious to see what you get on the hwy if you got 34 in/around town. My Corolla (Vibe) gets 30 in suburban driving, but drinks gas when I go 70-80 on the hwy. I only get 33 when I push it. Keep us up to date.
  • I'll keep you posted - the Fit is nice car - I sat in one last year - didn't drive it though - also sat in a Mazda2 and Ford Fiesta, but within 2 minutes of getting into the Yaris I knew it was the one for me - I recently read a review which hailed it as the best one yet -

I saw where a couple of people said the onboard mpg computer was off (low) by a mpg or two so I was excited that my actual mpg was a tad higher than the computer's figure.

I am loving my 2012 Yaris more & more each day! :)
    Every tank I fill up is in the 37-38 mpg range, which is kind of disappointing since I do a fair amount of highway driving in the Yaris as part of my commute, in addition to typical suburban driving. And my mpg gauge in the IP is always a point high - I have stopped looking at it now that the mileage has proven to be so consistent.

Mine is the 5-speed, which I don't think has such a big advantage over the automatic as it used in this model. I am at 3000 miles on the odo, and at first the mileage seemed to slightly improve as the miles rolled by, but now I think it was just my imagination.

• hummel88hummel88 Posts: 1
    I normally get about ~40 mpg on average if I'm going 70-80mph on the highway.

I can get ~45 mpg if I go ~50 mph on the highway by "hypermiling" although it sometimes pisses some people off.

In the city/town I generally get about 37 to 39 depending on traffic. The speed there is generally 30 to 40 mph but with stops every now and then.
    Of course using mild hypermiling techniques.

Simple things like learning how to time DFCO can make a big difference.
    Not speeding up to stop lights, not hitting the breaks a lot because of following too closely to cars in front among other things can really improve gas mileage.

I haven't been in heavy city "stop and go" driving yet.

Without hypermiling I would expect to get about what the sticker said.