Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    How accurate do you find the average mpg meter on the IP computer to be? I find mine to be about 1 point optimistic....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• toyotafan6toyotafan6 Member Posts: 49
    I don't know yet, but next time I fill up I'll check the MPG the old fashioned way - if it's like my '01 Corolla (what a great car!) the MPG should improve a little over time as the engine gets broken in - right now I have around 450 on the odometer, it had 90 miles on it the day I got it...then again, by me driving in 3rd gear the other night @50 mph the engine is probably already broken in!!! :-(

One thing I've noticed too with the Yaris, the ride isn't as smooth as my '01 Corolla, so I checked the air pressure the other day in my tires and they were all around 37-39 psi, the recommended psi is 33 so that is probably why it was a little rough, I know the dealerships will over-inflate the tires a little because the new cars are sitting around on the lot and lose air pressure over time...

Even though I've only had the car 2 weeks I am happy with it so far - I find the driver's seat to be very comfortable too.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yes, the added air pressure is to prevent flat spots from developing, especially in cars shipped from over sees. However, the pressure is normally around 45. Yours was a bit lower, so it appears that the dealer at least let a little air out before parking it on the lot.
    I have an SE - I wanted an even firmer ride (and sharper handling) than the one you got. :-)

And yes, I love the driver's seat, so much better than the one in the last-model Yaris. Toyota is finally, it seems, learning a thing or two about adequate lumbar support.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

You know I don't think I saw any SE's at the dealerships I went to - maybe they are on the way (?)
    Checked the MPG last night after filling up (the regular way) on my new 2012 Yaris LE 3DR - I was pleasantly surprised to find that I got 34.5 mpg! This is about 90% city driving... the onboard mpg computer said it was 33.6 -

Have 650 miles on the odometer -

Needless to say I am happy with the MPG so far! :)
    edited February 2012
    thanks for the post. Your model has now risen to the top of my list above the Fit. With gas prices climbing, the Fit's gas mileage just doesn't cut it. I sure wish Toyota had put a 6 speed tranny in the yaris to maximize on mileage; too bad. I am also interested in the Prius C, but know that it has a CVT, and lots of writers to include those at MotorWeek, are not fans of the CVT. I'm curious to see what you get on the hwy if you got 34 in/around town. My Corolla (Vibe) gets 30 in suburban driving, but drinks gas when I go 70-80 on the hwy. I only get 33 when I push it. Keep us up to date.
    I'll keep you posted - the Fit is nice car - I sat in one last year - didn't drive it though - also sat in a Mazda2 and Ford Fiesta, but within 2 minutes of getting into the Yaris I knew it was the one for me - I recently read a review which hailed it as the best one yet -

I saw where a couple of people said the onboard mpg computer was off (low) by a mpg or two so I was excited that my actual mpg was a tad higher than the computer's figure.

I am loving my 2012 Yaris more & more each day! :)
    Every tank I fill up is in the 37-38 mpg range, which is kind of disappointing since I do a fair amount of highway driving in the Yaris as part of my commute, in addition to typical suburban driving. And my mpg gauge in the IP is always a point high - I have stopped looking at it now that the mileage has proven to be so consistent.

Mine is the 5-speed, which I don't think has such a big advantage over the automatic as it used in this model. I am at 3000 miles on the odo, and at first the mileage seemed to slightly improve as the miles rolled by, but now I think it was just my imagination.

• hummel88hummel88 Member Posts: 1
    I normally get about ~40 mpg on average if I'm going 70-80mph on the highway.

I can get ~45 mpg if I go ~50 mph on the highway by "hypermiling" although it sometimes pisses some people off.

In the city/town I generally get about 37 to 39 depending on traffic. The speed there is generally 30 to 40 mph but with stops every now and then.
    Of course using mild hypermiling techniques.

Simple things like learning how to time DFCO can make a big difference.
    Not speeding up to stop lights, not hitting the breaks a lot because of following too closely to cars in front among other things can really improve gas mileage.

I haven't been in heavy city "stop and go" driving yet.

Without hypermiling I would expect to get about what the sticker said.
    Checked MPG today - according to the onboard MPG computer, 34.1 - checked it the regular way: 34.4 mpg - this is all city driving...

A little over 900 miles on the odometer.

So far so good, no regrets getting the Yaris!
    slightly off topic, but I was struck today when I read the writeup from Consumer Reports for the April Car issue. the yaris is not recommended and they complained about the lack of compliant ride. Do you owners who have more than bettered the mpgs of the government mileage estimates, agree or disagree with the quality of the ride as stated in CR?
    I got my Consumer Reports today - I don't agree with their assessment of the 2012 Yaris - the ride is not choppy or harsh IMO - it said the engine was noisy, I wouldn't consider it noisy, but I would agree that it is not as quiet as my '01 Corolla -

I find the driver's seat to be very comfortable, visibility is good, gas mileage so far has exceeded my expectations - I love the tight turning circle and parking is a breeze - plus it looks good! Consumer Reports did give it their highest mark for owner cost.

I'd recommend it!!
    The Camry's ride is smoother, no question about it. But it is also a whale of a car without any of the handling benefits that being small and light like the Yaris brings.

So I wouldn't trade.

I think ride quality is very subjective to describe, and there are "large car people" and "small car people". Large car people will think anything as small as the Yaris has a choppy ride.

Thank goodness I am a small car person! :-P

Checked the MPG today, per car's mpg computer: 34.4

Per my calculator: 34.7

This is 90% city driving...

Very pleased with the 2012 Yaris LE - 1150 miles on odometer :)
    thanks TF6. Those kind of posts are making the Yaris move up and maybe even ahead of the Fit. I believe the car is not selling well though; I think I saw $1000 incentive one the 2012s already?
    I haven't seen any incentives yet - most of the reviews I've read have the Fit ahead of the Yaris - except for one which (I think) was Car and Driver - they ranked 7 small cars and the Yaris was #3, the Fit #4 - the Accent I think was #1 and the Sonic #2 -

I only went to 3 dealerships other than Toyota and looked @ the Fit, Mazda2 and the Fiesta, in fairness, I didn't drive any of them - just sat in the driver's seat - the Fit impressed me the most of those particular cars - I drove the Yaris 3 times (3 different ones) and that was it - it was the one I wanted. I don't think you'd regret getting the Fit if that is at the top of your list, I'm just glad the MPG for my Yaris has been so good so far.
    I drove all 3 of those and the Yaris was the most fun to drive, for sure. The Fit is the one to buy if you need that magic rear seat and the Fiesta is the one with the smoothest ride (and worst handling). The Fit and the Yaris continue to be tied for best real-world mileage in all the comparison tests I read.l

Most recent fillup:

On board MPG computer: 34.8

Manually calculated: 36.8

90% city driving, 10% highway

tires set to 37 psi :D
    tremendous. thanks for the post.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    I have a friend with a Fit. He says his mileage is not as good as expected.

Also there seem to be a lot of complaints on the Fit forum concerning poor mileage.

Kip
    that is true. My most recent concern is reading about the brake postings on the Fit. I'm not sure if it is true or just people having no clue on how to drive with ABS. I have recently dropped the Rio off of my list due to the average/poor visiblity in the cabin. I am now looking at the Fit (less than stellar gas mileage for a 1.5 liter engine), the Yaris, and the soon to be redesigned Nissan Versa hatchback. I hope people will keep posting about their driving experiences with the Yaris. I'd like to know if the brakes are as good as what Hyundai puts in their cars (stops on a dime), and to know if others are exceeding the gas mileage ratings.
    I am VERY happy that I got the Yaris, I had read that the gas mileage was very good but I am amazed at just how good it is...

There's not much not to like about this gem of a car - but it is true that it's not as quiet as my other car ('01 Corolla LE) and the ride is somewhat harsher - however, the pros far outweigh the cons!

Handling - very good
    Visibility - excellent
    MPG - terriffic!
    Parking - a snap (tight turning circle)
    Audio system - excellent
    Brakes - best I've ever had
    Driver's seat comfort - excellent
    Price - pretty good (less than $17,700 total OTD)
    Controls - easy to reach, simple
    Styling (subjective of course) I like it!
    Headlights - excellent

Plus the 2 years free scheduled maintenance made it even better!
    The braking in the SE is fantastic. Even magazine reviews seem to agree, with stops from 60 mph in under 120 feet. Mine is an SE and the brake pedal is strong and immediate. I can't speak for the LE, which has much narrower T-rated tires, but the 195-section V-rated tires on the SE grip like crazy.

Recently I have been driving it like I stole it, with repeat visits to 100 mph, some canyon racing (its forte), etc, and it still managed 35 mpg on the last tank. It is so much fun to drive, it makes me forget I bought it to save gas! Will have to shoot for 40 mpg on the next tank, and the calendar will help: we should be going back to summer gas in the next couple of weeks, which will add 2 points of mpg if the past is any guide.

I can get a running average of 38 mpg without trying, as long as I forego the antics and stick close to the speed limit on the highway. Just closing in on 5000 miles now.....

edited March 2012
    that's great news. My Pontiac Corolla as I call it (or is it a Toyota Vibe) brings me 30 mpg in town. I'm thrilled with that. However, the brakes Toyota installed on these Vibes/Matrixes are pretty poor to say the least. The brakes are nothing like the ones on my Elantra Touring. Sounds like the brakes on the Yaris are more in line wih what I expect out of a car today. Your Yaris mileage is certainly positive. I'm now going to wait for the 2013 Versa hatchback to come out and compare it to the Yaris and Fit. Your mileage posts have elevated the Yaris above the Fit given today's gas prices.
    It's funny because while on a test drive for the Yaris the salesman said the gas mileage would be close to that of a hybrid, I remember thinking "yeah, right" - well, it's nowhere close to the Prius but at 36.8 MPG (90% city) it probably IS close to the Civic Hybrid -

MPG aside, I think it's the best bang for your buck - I love mine - no regrets so far -
    It sounds like braking is a pretty important aspect of a car for you. I should add then that the SE has 4-wheel discs where the base and LE versions have rear drums. I don't know if braking is worse in those trims because I never drove one, but the extra discs may improve the bite of the brakes and therefore the overall braking feel.

I had a Matrix in the past and I know what you mean - nothing about that car was very athletic - acceleration, steering, handling, or braking. About the best you could say was it handled adequately and didn't lean way over in turns despite its tallness.

Most recent fillup:

MPG computer on car - 34.9 mpg

Manually calculated - 35 mpg

90% city driving
    nice numbers again. Thanks. I actually got 33 in town with my "Pontiac" Corolla. The warm weather and fact that I'm now retired and no longer in a hurry certainly increased my mileage by 3 mpgs. :blush: I was pretty alarmed at how Consumer Reports dogged the Yaris in this month's issue.
    I too was somewhat shocked and dumbfounded that Consumer Reports' review of the Yaris was so negative - they gave it the lowest rating of all the subcompacts, calling it a "bare bones" car - what? I guess their definition of bare bones and mine are different...I disagree with almost all of their assessments.

I love my Yaris, so far I have no regrets about buying one, none whatsoever - I would tell anyone who wants a small fuel-efficient car made by a car company with a long-standing repuation for building reliable cars to consider the Yaris. It's Toyota's 3rd best selling car, and read what consumers have to say, people who actually own one!

I think the reason my last tank went down a little to 35 mpg is because I've been running the AC, it's been very warm here lately.
    Car and Driver's review was much better, they ranked it 3rd out of 7 or 8 cars, the Yaris was ahead of the Fit (#4) - the Accent was #1
    at Consumer Reports mostly have no idea about what makes cars good or bad. They are only useful for their reliability data really.

Who makes the Accent?
    Kip
    edited December 2006
    Hyundai makes the Accent. Hyundai also owns Kia. I personnaly like the Kia Rio better than the Accent. The MPGs are great on Hyundai vehicles. However, the sight line is not very good inside the cabin, especially for a new car. That is why I am looking at the Yaris, and am happy to see that many owners are exceeding the MPGs listed on the sticker. As a long time CR user, I have always wondered how CR gives such high overall numerical scores to vehicles with sketchy reliability (like VW). Nonetheless, the very low score that CR gave to the Yaris is alarming, and I'd like to hear more info on your driving experiences and if a majority of you are exceeding the posted MPG numbers. Gas prices and Yaris' fuel efficiency will certainly trump "hard, cheap interior plastic" comments as time goes on.
    Thanks,
    Kip
    In the Consumer Reports review they said that the Yaris' engine was so noisy it made it difficult to carry on a conversation (words to that effect) - that has certainly NOT been my experience - I find the Yaris to be only slightly louder than my prior car...it's my understanding that the lower-priced cars do not have the insulation of their higher-priced counterparts - I say to that: no big deal!

I'm extremely pleased with the mpg, so far averaging 35 mpg (city) with less than 1800 miles on the odometer ...and I expect this to increase as the engine breaks in.

I understand what may be "comfortable" to one person may not be to someone else, but for me the driver's seat is very comfortable, the most comfortable of any car I've had - and as far as what the article said about "hard, cheap plastics" IMO the interior is attractive and well designed, I like the layout/design....doesn't feel or look cheap to me.

Most of the reviews I've read from consumers who own the Yaris were very positive.
    OK - I had it wrong, in the Car and Driver comparison test (Honda Fit Sport (2011), Chevrolet Sonic LTZ Turbo, Toyota Yaris SE, Kio Rio 5 SX, Hyundai Accent SE, Nissan Versa SL) they were ranked as follows:

First place: Honda Fit
    Second: Chevrolet Sonic
    Third: Toyota Yaris
    Fourth: Hyundai Accent
    Fifth: Kio Rio
    Sixth: Nissan Versa

These cars were reviewed on many things, one being "steering feel", the Yaris came in first place.

For fuel economy, Yaris tied for first place with the Accent and the Versa.
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    Got 39.1 MPG yesterday on my latest fill-up with 100% in town driving in my 2007 Yaris 3-door hatchback ATM. Have 35,000 miles on it. The only things I have replaced are the oil & filters, windshield wipers and the battery. I paid $12,300 for it brand new. Are they really selling for $17,000 now?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited April 2012
    C/D tested the Yaris SE and CR tested the LE. I bet that accounts a lot for the different opinions. There's features such as bigger wheels/tires, tuned suspension, quicker steering, 4-wheel discs, sport seats, and smooth stick shift on the SE that C/D tested, and these features improved the driving experience compared to what CR experienced in their LE with a 4-speed slushbox.

But note that C/D also complained about noise and the driving position--as did CR. Had CR tested the SE, maybe they would have liked the handling better, as C/D did.

Interestingly, CR averaged 32 mpg in the Yaris... a good number, but matched by cars such as the Accent, Versa, Corolla, and Mazda3i.
    You're right, it was the SE tested by Car and Driver, not the LE which is what I have...here are some of their scores for the Yaris:

Out of a possible 10 points, got a 8 for driver comfort.
    Out of a possible 10 points, got a 8 for fit and finish.
    Out of a possible 10 points, got a 8 for both interior and exterior styling.

Out of a possible 20 points, the Yaris got a 19 for performance.
    Out of a possible 10 points, got a 9 for steering feel.
    Out of a possible 10 points, got a 8 for brake feel.
    Out of a possible 10 points, got a 8 for handling and a 8 for ride.

Out of a possible 25 points, got a 21 for fun to drive.

Some of the low scores were: for flexibility - got a 2 out of possible 5.
    For features/amenities, got a 4 out of possible 10.

I got this info from their website. :)
    edited April 2012
    Some of the low scores were: for flexibility - got a 2 out of possible 5.
    For features/amenities, got a 4 out of possible 10.

The flexibility thing is exclusively and totally because they are totally in love with the Fit's "magic seat", which I will admit is pretty nifty if you are going to be doing a lot of carrying people and cargo at various times in the car. With the Fit getting a 5 for the magic seat, the Yaris gets a 2 by comparison, but if you will mostly be alone or with one passenger in the car (which is my case as this is my commute car) the magic seat won't matter much.....

Features/amenities: they get graded down for no factory moonroof or NAV, and for the ages-old 4-speed automatic which I agree is a bit of a disgrace for Toyota at this point.....and in a totally redesigned model no less. All the other models in the class except the Mazda2 have the edge there. But if you get a manual it won't matter how many gears the automatic has! :-)

If fun to drive is important to you at all, you should get the Yaris. The SE is the most fun to drive of any of the cars in this class, including the Fit Sport IMO.

But if you get a manual it won't matter how many gears the automatic has!

No. But it will matter how many gears the manual has! C/D complained about the Yaris needing another gear in the manual tranny. Several competitors have 6-speed sticks now, which help for fuel economy and noise.

Most in the cars in that test had no factory moonroof available, so I doubt the Yaris got down-graded for that.
    The Sonic and the Rio both offer a moonroof, (as does the Fiesta, not in the test but until recently the sales champ in the segment), so it's reasonable to count its absence as an option against the Yaris (and Fit).

As for the manuals, you are totally correct that the Fit and Yaris are both behind on that count, and in fact the reviews of both noted how high the engines revved at normal highway speeds. They should have a proper cruising gear. Of course they still get the best as-tested mileage of the group even with less gears to choose from! :-)

I said "Most in the cars in that test had no factory moonroof available", which is correct: Fit, Yaris, Accent, Versa don't have a moonroof available. And three of the top four, including the top car (Fit) have no moonroof. So I really don't think it mattered in the overall score. C/D is all about handling. That's why the Yaris ranked as high as it did. Also the Fit, and Sonic.

The lack of a 6th cog (noise on the highway) is a key reason why I cannot consider the Fit, although it's a fun car to drive.
    edited April 2012
    Before getting too terribly excited about how many gears are available, check the RPM of each contender at a given highway speed.

When a given car goes from 4 speed to 5 speed, did the "Top" gear ratio actually change? Or did they do some shuffling and insert the new gear into the lower 4?

These small 4 bangers depend on RPM to do their thing. If the "TOP" gear is too high, it won't be good for much more than level ground running.

Peer pressure is powerful and no doubt the 4 speed autos in Toyota's line up will change to a larger number of gears "Just Because" . But will that actually do anything for overall fuel millage?

Most of the noise we hear in our 09 Rav4 and Honda Ridgeline are road noises, not engine noises. As was the 03 CR-V and Pilot. And truthfully, the RAV4 is extremely noisy at idle and lower rpm, Sounds like a tractor when standing outside it.

In the small 4 banger line, we have had a rental Honda Civic with the 5 speed auto, and a Corolla with the 4 speed auto. The Civic "SEEMED" a tad quicker 0-60 but the Corolla got better fuel mileage. And didn't seem as "Busy" as the Civic.

Possibly a Yaris - Fit comparison might yield the same results. :)

Kip
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    i also own a 2007 yaris hb and i got 38.5 my last tank all suburban chicago driving. only things i have done is oil and filter,wiper blades and new tires. i have just over 50,000 miles on it and purchased it new. i paid $14,200 including ttl. its the auto with pw/pl. my mpg drop down a little in the winter but the yaris loves warmer weather.
    Yes, good point, it's not just about number of gears. For example, the 5-speed Golf with the 2.5L engine revs low in 5th, thus is quiet on the highway and gets good fuel economy (better than the EPA estimates in my experience).

The Yaris (based on previous generation) and Fit are examples where 5th gear revs high (over 3000 rpm on the highway) and the high revs contribute to noise at cruise. I also suspect both cars could get better highway fuel economy if they had a 6th gear, overdrive, that would allow cruising at lower RPMs. They are small and light with small engines.
    Latest fillup for 2012 Yaris LE:

onboard mpg computer: 35.2

Manually calculated: 36.5

This is 90% city driving.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

I have named her "Sippy" because she sips gas! :)
    Let's clone your car and start handing them out so we can become energy efficient. Oh wait; Americans can drive anything that doesn't have 85 cubic feet of room for their umbrella. I forgot; silly me.
    HeHe - I know what you mean!

Now I do have to tell you that I have the psi in my tires slightly higher than the recommended 33 psi - right now they are at 36 psi - it has been my experience that a little extra air will improve gas mileage -

Also, I do coast now and again, usually when I see a stop light up ahead and it's red I will take my foot off the gas and coast if it's feasible - but I'm not a hypermiler (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Other than that, just normal stop and go driving -

My last car (2001 Corolla LE) got a pretty consistent 30 mpg city and 39 highway which is what the sticker said, my Yaris' sticker stated 30 mpg city and 35 highway so needless to say up to this point I'm a happy camper!