Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Yaris v. Toyota Corolla

2»

Comments

• reddroverrreddroverr Posts: 509
    you want great mileage AND driving experience? How about this one:

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1
  • tjw1308tjw1308 Posts: 296
    I work as an Internet Manager at a fairly large Toyota store.

While I remember being impressed with the Corolla 5 years ago when the redesign hit, even THEN it seemed a little vanilla.

I think the appeal of the Yaris is it's uniqueness. Sure, the Corolla is a little quieter and has a slightly larger engine (woohoo 20HP!?!?), but it is OLD NEWS. It is most definitely a nice car, but still...

When the NEW Corolla hits as an 08 model, I truly believe we will see a marked difference between the two.

Until then, you can either:

1) Buy a lame-duck (albeit nice) car, knowing full well a complete redesign looms that will leave you with the "old" bodystyle. Spend a bit more money for a bit more refinement (it isn't as much as people think it is), and have a car that blends in EVERYWHERE it goes (not necessarily a bad thing...).

2) Buy a car that's edgy, less expensive (even if it's not by much), performs FINE (hey, it's no Ferrari, but I did manage 85-90 mph on a long uphill stretch of highway, A/C on, with NO problem whatsoever... so get over it :P ), and DOESN'T look like something your 75 year old grandma would take to Bingo. Not to mention it won't be redesigned for quite a while (remember the Fit will be redesigned sooner too).

All in all, I could have gotten a CE Corolla for close to the same $$$, but went with the Yaris. It was a no-brainer for me, and I love people asking me about my car, rather than assuming I'm borrowing it from grandma.

I don't mean to offend the Corolla segment... but COME ON, you all know it :D

T

PS, the center IP serves one purpose and one purpose ONLY imho... It makes the car simple and cheap to manufacture in either left hand drive or right hand drive configurations. That's right folks, Toyota did something slightly unusual in their non-flagship car to SAVE them money lol... for shame! It's not like we live in a capitalist society (insert sarcasm here). I don't love it, but I don't stay up at night whining about it either ;)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    "Sure, the Corolla is a little quieter and has a slightly larger engine (woohoo 20HP!?!?)"

Corolla has 10% more power and weighs 10% more. I would say that's a wash. These cars are both slightly under 9 seconds 0-60 with a stick.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Right on :) ... Even us car guys forget about simple things like power to weight from time to time hehe...

Another point that might not be quite as good is the lack of a true liftback Corolla (I don't count the Matrix btw, despite Toyota originally marketing it as the Corolla Matrix, it was purely for name recognition (I was at the Matrix U.S. Lauch hehe)).

Again, the Corolla is a very nice car, but everyone likes newer and shinier things methinks...

I do :P
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    actually the corolla is only 11% heavier than the yaris (2335lbs vs 2595lbs) but has close to 20% more hp (18.86%).
    so i wouldnt call that a wash. anyway, i doubt anyone is getting these cars for thrills. still, for as small as the yaris hb is, it gives a pretty good ride.
  • The pictures I have seen of the 08 Corolla looks like it IS a liftback 5 door? It also has the Yaris/Camry styled nose as well. it is the very FIRST Corola that loooks NICE (to ME!).
    Even though the 08 Corolla will be a phenomenal car (Toyota has been on a streak lately haven't they? :P ), you have to remember a couple of things:

1) The 08 Corolla won't be released until most likely LATE 07 as an 08 model. I have a few 2007's on the ground already, so it's possible they'll hit by summer of 07, but I doubt it.

The Yaris L/B is (somewhat ;) ) available NOW.

2) The 08 Corolla will be a hot commodity even if it does hit early. Just like most customers are fast to buy our cold product for invoice, we are fast to mark up the hot ones for over MSRP (and yes, even Camry's, Civic's, and Corolla's are fair game if the demand is there... and it will be for a while at least). It's how supply and demand works, and expect it to drive the price of even a "base" 08 Corolla to well over $5000.00 more than a "base" Yaris.

So basically, I think the price comparo between the two to be moot for at LEAST another year and a half to two years. I may rather a 08/09 Corolla by then myself too, but who knows...

T
    the '08 Corolla will be a good $1000 more than the current model. Yaris will seem like even more of a bargain after that.

The new Camry sold at sticker (and more, I guess) for about four months before the "$XXXX below sticker!" ads started. The new Corolla might get a bit longer than that because it will (hopefully) continue to be one of the most fuel-efficient cars available anywhere short of hybrids and diesels, but I don't think it will be ALL that long. Figure by January February 2008 it will be selling at discounts. But by then they will be discounting the Yaris too, and the two will be spaced farther apart in MSRP.

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    Wait until the '08's start hitting the dealer's lots. You'll be able to get a brand new '07 for a little next to nothing!
  • I would recommend buying the Yaris Sedan, not the Corolla, like I did. The car is less expensive, better MPG in a current gas epidemic, better exterior eye candy, and is more agile than all the other cars you listed. The only negative is it is a little nosier when pushed to its limits, but who pushes there car to its limits every time? Very few!
  • And of course, if you need a hatchback body style like I do, the Corolla can't match up with the Yaris at all.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    And of course, if you need a hatchback body style like I do, the Corolla can't match up with the Yaris at all.

That depends. I've never had an instance where something I was carrying was too big for my Corolla, but could fit in a Yaris just because of it's hatch configuration. Now the Matrix, that's a different story. There are numerous real world items I deal with on occasion that would fit in a Matrix, but not fit in either a Corolla or a Yaris hatch.

I really think the utility of the Yaris is somewhat overstated. IMO - It really can't fit anything in it that most people need even somewhat regularly that couldn't fit into a Corolla.
  • Right now I would say that the 2007 Yaris has the 2007 Corolla beat for overall value (Better MPG, exterior design, and less expensive). I don't think I will be able to say the same when the 2008 Corolla verses the 2007 Yaris. 2008 Corolla is expected to have better MPG than the 2007 model, more horsepower, and better exterior design. Combined with the standard features like Antilock breaks, the 2008 Corolla seems like would be a better deal than a 20007 Yaris.
  • I really think the utility of the Yaris is somewhat overstated. IMO - It really can't fit anything in it that most people need even somewhat regularly that couldn't fit into a Corolla.

Dogs. Two good-sized dogs will fit in the back of a Yaris hatch with the seat folded down.

It would be cruel to put my dogs in the trunk of a Corolla or any car.

And yes, the Matrix has space for dogs, but that car costs too much.
    building a bunch of Corolla LEs right now with just SAB and curtains, the EVP with 6-disc changer, ABS, and alloys. That car has a sticker of $17,760 (manual shift, including dest). With the routine discounts on that model right now, it would be easy to pick up for $16K. If you could even find a Yaris with SAB/curtains and ABS, equipping it to the level of that Corolla would put the price more like $17K, or about $1000 more. Not to mention, I am rather partial tio the Optitron meters of the Corolla LE, and isn't keyless entry extra-cost on the Yaris too? Which would add another $200 to the Yaris price, but would be included in the Corolla.

If you want the hatch, there's no contest. But if you want the sedan, Yaris is going to be a hard sell strictly on the numbers until the redesigned Corolla arrives in 15 months.

There is still the fact that Corolla is around every corner, while the Yaris is relatively unique, not to mention the Yaris has handling that is more spry than the Corolla's. Plus, there's the 2-point advantage in mpg for the Yaris.

• I ordered the Yaris hatch, loaded with everything including side curtain airbags, keyless entry, power package (which includes a 60/40 fold-flat rear seat and alloy 15" wheels), and ABS. I'm paying $15,800.

It works for me.
    Dogs. Two good-sized dogs will fit in the back of a Yaris hatch with the seat folded down.

It would be cruel to put my dogs in the trunk of a Corolla or any car.

Huh? Without knowing it, you just made an argument for the Corolla and against the Yaris. The back seat of the Corolla is fine for two dogs, while you maintain the use of the trunk for groceries or anything else you may not want the dogs to get into. If you are folding down the Yaris hatch seats, then you are losing the use of those back seats and you are risking your groceries to the dogs.
  • I can't use a back seat in a car for my dogs. They are not Yorkies or beagles or something like that. They are high-energy sled dogs (about 50 lbs. each) and will not stay put. In other words, they would be jumping from the seat to the floor all the time in a sedan. They would also probably chew on cloth seats and destroy the upholstery, no doubt.

No, better to have them in the rear compartment of a hatchback with a flat, durable surface. Containment would be much better in a hatchback. And one egress option (i.e., in/out through the hatch) is probably also better than having two (the rear doors of a sedan), considering that the dogs will bolt and run if they see the chance.
    Any Walmart-type store carries seat protectors, canvas covers and other contraptions for under $50 that attach to the front and back seats to keep dogs from doing just what you mention....not to mention some also block/prevent them from hopping up to the front seat, which you'd still need with the hatch anyway.

And both cars have essentially the same number of egress options: the number of doors you choose to have opened at the same time. As a matter of fact, I find it less likely for my dog to be able to bolt out of one of the side doors of my Corolla than the hatch of my Highlander. With the hatch, I have to lower myself to the ground and open it very slowly to keep him from bolting out before I can grab his leash. With the side door, I can reach his neck area right away upon opening the door.
  • A hatchback has a more contained area with a flat floor, like the back of a van or SUV. There's not enough room on top of a sedan's back seat for both of my dogs, and I don't want one dog on the floor and one on the seat. A hatchback suits me better (and what you described IS the procedure I use for getting my dogs out via the hatch; I'm used to it).

It's always a possibility for a dog to bolt and run out of a sedan if someone else (like one of the kids) inadvertently opens one of the rear doors. That is what I'm trying to avoid.

You prefer the Corolla, fine. But I don't see it as a viable option for me.
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    for me.

1) the yaris was a downgrade in mileage, as i bought a manual corolla and drive a majority of highway.

2) i have a doberman and mutt/lab mix. i put them in the back seat of the corolla all the time. i just a cheap vinyl seat cover in the back. works great.

3) all the yaris hatchbacks i looked at would be poor transpo for two dogs, or even 1 for that matter(if it were a large dog). the reason is that there is not a flat space unless you pay extra for the 60/40 seat, which should have been standard. the 1 piece seat that comes with all the yarii ive seen thus far is a joke. any flat area you get with that seat is miniscule. you get an unlevel surface, and even if it the whole area was flat its just not very big at all. i used to have a matrix, and it was awesome for dogs, perfectly flat in back and plenty large. i only traded for the corolla for the 41 mpg, which i regularly get and then some. the matrix was generally 5-6 mpg less.

so, not only do my dogs travel in comfort, but i also have the use of a trunk if i need it.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    The Yaris hatch is "cute" but the cargo space is next to useless as it is so tiny. I need four doors and I need the backseat for people and still need space for at least 2 suitcases.

The Yaris hatch cargo area with the seat up is tiny. Toyota should have made a hatch with the wheelbase of the sedan and four doors. Of course that would have made the Scion Xa redundant. The Honda Fit has an excellent cargo area unlike the Yaris hatch.

The Corolla has high points (mileage, hp, and discounts) but the old design (no mp3 cd player or auxillary input) and boring interior with an uncomfortable seating position are big negatives.

The Yaris sedan is still on my list as are a few others.
  • "...the reason is that there is not a flat space unless you pay extra for the 60/40 seat, which should have been standard. the 1 piece seat that comes with all the yarii ive seen thus far is a joke. any flat area you get with that seat is miniscule. you get an unlevel surface, and even if it the whole area was flat its just not very big at all."

Ahh, but I DID pay extra for the 60/40 fold-flat rear seat (it comes with the power package). Plenty of room in the Yaris hatchback with the rear seat down for two dogs.

And I also ordered the Yaris with a manual transmission, so my mileage will be as good as your Corolla's.

(Congratulations on getting your dogs to stay still on your sedan's back seat. My dogs would never do that; but then again, I have Siberians.)
  • ashikashik Posts: 2
    I was very confused which car to buy and followed this discussion carefully. I was thinking about Toyota Yaris 2006, Corolla 2006, Honda Civic 2006 and Cobalt. Finally I decided in favor of Civic thouagh it costed me few thousand dollars more than the other alternatives. However, I can tell you with confidence that I am so happy with this new dashboard, digital speedometer and the car's smoothness, that the extra money is worth for me... I am happy driving it. :)
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I understand about transporting the sibes. Mine is 42 and 75 pounds. I put them in the back of the truck (with camper shell).
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Corolla's bigger, and the console's not in the middle. For now.
    I know this is a very old post, but why trade a perfectly good car for just 5 mpg difference?! Seriously, without being judgemental, I'd like to know would this be worth it? How long would it take to recoup the expense?
    Also, not being judgemental, but maybe I'm missing something...does not a "DOWN-STAY" not work with your animals? Could you fix that? What am I missing?
2»
This discussion has been closed.