Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Engine questions

12346»

Comments

• crappie1crappie1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 engine and the battery light stays on even after replacing the altenator and battery. Any suggestions? The other night I drove it about 60 miles and had to stop and jump it off every 10 miles or so because the battery went dead. Any help?
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Member Posts: 161
    Charging system needs to be while engine is running 13.5v to 14.v. Make sure the belt isn't loose. Then: with key on engine off check that there is power going to the regulator by unplugging the plug on the back and checking it with a volt meter. If no power it might be a fuse, repost if not. Also check that the B terminal that is the big thick cable connected to the back of the alternator has power and is conected to the battery. If all this checks out, you put in a bad alternater
  • hurry_uphurry_up Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0. Is it easy to change the oil pump or do I have to raise the motor or move the axle. Thanks.
  • hurry_uphurry_up Member Posts: 2
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    From what I read, for the older 4Liter (non-overhead cam), you have to raise the motor to drop the pan. Not sure about the newer 4Liter.
  • josh40josh40 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2004 ranger 4.0 automatic 2 wheel drive no spark? i replaced the crank sensor the coil pack and the crash switch is working fine any suggestions
  • puddles1976puddles1976 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I have an '03 Ranger V6 3.0 Auto 2WD. I rev the engine over 3,000 and it starts misfiring and will not accelerate beyond 3200 with 1/4+ pedal left. Back off and engine runs just fine. Changed gas filter, no luck. Could the TPS be done? Idle and engine speed below 3,000 just fine.
    Thanks for any help,
    Dale Miller
  • randymccordrandymccord Member Posts: 1
    I see a number of complaints about the 6cyl engine ping, but my 2001 2.5L with 75k miles sounds like a bag of marbles at highway speed. Regardless of octane. My gut feeling is a sensor. Reminds me of a GM car I had when the vacuum hose fell off the EGR valve, it was a marble party in the cylinders! The truck is with me in the Middle East (military) far away from a Ford dealer! Any advice out there?
  • tre333tre333 Member Posts: 2
    hi, i have a splash that will run great for about 10-20 minutes then acts like it runs out of gas and quits!! almost impossible to restart..like its not getting fire or out of gas...then after about a thousand cranks it will start up sluggishley and then run like a scalded dog again for about 10-20 minutes,then the same thing..changed the fuel filter with no luck...any suggestions is appreciated...thanks
    First two things that need answered are 1. Has it got proper fuel pressure? 2. is it throwing a code? When it starts and runs bad, it sounds like it is in Limp Home Mode. My impression is fuel first, sensor second. If the fuel pump has issues, it will get hot after a while, then drop pressure. The sensor thought is because I've seen sensors that will operate fine at low temperatures, then send bad readings to the computer when hot, causing the computer to make changes for which there is no event. (That's why the question about code.) Hope it gets you straightened out, Dale
  • tre333tre333 Member Posts: 2
    thanks....but which sensor?
    I'm with puddles, I would put a pressure gauge on the fuel line to see what pressure is on there. Should be about 45 pounds (I think), maybe a little less when it is running.
    Fuel pressure sensor.
  • jb26025jb26025 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the timeing gears and then replaced the pick up coil and my 91 ranger will not startit just fluds the engine
  • g4av8rg4av8r Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0 ltr V6. I just changed the fuel injectors and the thing ran better but I got two annoying codes 0170 and 0174, Left and Right Bank Lean. I did the troubleshooting from the Haynes book and from the code reader at Auto Zone. Everything pointed to an air leak. After much spraying with Carb cleaner, I had it fogged at a local repair station, no leaks. I went back in to make and put the old injectors on the right side only and that was a bad idea. The truck wouldn't run well and would only do about 20 mph. So, I went right back in and put the new injectors back in. It was rough for about 15 or 20 minutes, but then started running better and no codes. Problem solved! Not so fast, after about two days, it was running rough again and those two codes came back. Now, when I start it, it sputters and pops, but then smooths out somewhat and runs okay. I still have the codes and at one point, I got a couple of O2 codes. I have not replaced any of the O2 sensors, yet, but am thinking about it.

Looking around on here, I see a lot of stuff about the fuel system being suspect in cases close to mine.

Do you have any other ideas?
  • maz11maz11 Member Posts: 1
    im thinking of buying a 2001 xlt 2,499cc td needs a new engine any ideas on a price or alt' engines
  • redneckrangerredneckranger Member Posts: 2
    hi, i have a 96 ranger 2.3 liter, 5 speed. the truck really doesn't seem to have much power, i know its not that powerful to begin with, but it has all it can do to keep at the speed limit, it has new plugs, air filter, and seems to be running fine, just really seems under powered, is this normal? thanks in advance.
  • grump1grump1 Member Posts: 27
    CHANGE YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTER......2.3 ALWAYS HAS A LOT OF POWER . THANKS.
  • ltpageltpage Member Posts: 3
    I tend to agree with the Catalytic Converter. I have a '97 Ranger and for the longest time couldn't figure out why it just didn't have any pep and why those little vacuum hoses kept popping off. I found out that one of the Catalytic Converters had been partially crushed in an accident before I got it. Got it fixed and WOW, what a difference.
  • redneckrangerredneckranger Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the info, there seems to be plenty of exhaust coming from the tailpipe, wouldn't this be restricted? just wondering befor i cut it off.
  • yankedogyankedog Member Posts: 1
    been experiencing loss of power on acceleration, especially on freeway grades -
    put on new sparkplug wires, gap ok - no change - checked coil resistance - primary is about 3ohms - secondary is 10ohms. Do I need to replace the coil?
  • easy11easy11 Member Posts: 1
    i changed timing belt on 1990 split 4 2.9 lined marks up and now vehicle will not start can anyone help
  • airborne3006airborne3006 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1993 ford ranger 4X4 can I change the engine from 4L OHV to a 302 if so what modifications do I have to do and will the transmission be the same and line up? Will the airbox have to be moved and do I have to put a body lift to make room for the airbox if yes how high? Is it better to go carbrated or does the computer have to be changed? Thank you
  • frosterholmfrosterholm Member Posts: 1
    burn about 1qt every 250 miles. suggested to me to replace pcv valve; where is it located?
    91 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, I think, 4cyl engine with 8 spark plugs.
  • baseballdawgbaseballdawg Member Posts: 3
    My son was driving his ranger at about 50 MPH when it just quit and left him at the side of the road. I checked the fuse box relays under the hood and none were (fuel) blown. Now the truck won't start. The truck has the large V6 engine with about 140,000 miles (2 wheel drive). Could this be a timing chain or crankshaft sensor?
  • airborne3006airborne3006 Member Posts: 2
    what do you mean by it won't? Will it turn over at all? Does it have fire? Try taking off valve cap on fuel rail and see if there is any fuel in there as there should. Also check the fuel pump if no fuel is there.
    1)There are relays on/under/beside the fuse box under the hood. One of the relays is for the fuel pump. If relay is bad, fuel pump doesn't work.

2)Inside, on the right side of the 'hump', at the top, just under the edge of the carpet is a 'rollover' relay. (If truck rolls over, this will stop the fuel pump.) It has a button on it for reset. If the truck hit a huge bump in the road, it might have triggered this switch. It's wiring could also be bad.

3)Fuel pump died. It's inside the fuel tank.

4)Dozens of other things.
  • leblanc500leblanc500 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1993 ford ranger 4X4 can I change the engine from 4L OHV to another more recent engine. I am looking for the easiest solution. Will the airbox have to be moved. I have a 4" lift. Thank you
  • pdcjhondapdcjhonda Member Posts: 1
    What did you have to do to get this fixed?
  • scottk1scottk1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what other carberated or throttle body type early v-6 engines will bolt up to the existing bell housing on this 2.8 v-6 truck? I want to get rid of the 2.8 v-6 i have and rebuild another v-6 to put in. any info on motors for this swap will be greatly appreciated.
  • orangeroranger Member Posts: 3
    Just because it's a four banger doesn't mean its a good as it gets, any truck can get better mileage with tuning. Less restrictive intake and exhaust,kept in tune ,synthetic oil and even tire pressure can change mileage.I have a 1991 2.3 L that has K&N filter, port matched intake and exhaust, 2.5 inch exhaust, Amsoil synthetic oil and BFG radial TAs, It started at 18-20 mpg now it runs at 38 mpg with a substantial power gain.
    No factory vehicle is as good as it gets, its as good as they can make quickly and cheaply.
  • fortee9erfortee9er Member Posts: 134
    My 1994 Ranger 2.3L 5spd with a 8 plug head is putting out code 224. The plugs on the exhaust side are not firing. We replaced the coil pack but it made no difference. Has anyone had this problem and what ws the cause. Otherwise tips on how to troubleshoot this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • fortee9erfortee9er Member Posts: 134
  • jgathersjgathers Member Posts: 2
  • jgathersjgathers Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Ford ranger xlt. I had the head done and the engine ran hot and I had to have one head replaced again. Now the check engine light is on and when I start the truck I hear a series of 4 beeps. Sometimes while driving the 4 beeps come on again! I do not have an owners manual.

Bernie
  • gwilliagwillia Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced plugs, wires, both coil packs, cam shaft sensor, crankshaft position sensor and checked fuel pressure 65lbs constant. Cannot get it to rev up more than 2500 rpm and will not run more than 30 mph. Help
  • ltpageltpage Member Posts: 3
    My '97 Ranger had been in a wreck before I got it and had no power either. I found out that one of the catalytic converters was crushed. Got that fixed and it's been running great since I got it in 2002.
  • lickitylickity Member Posts: 4
    There are several possibilities. THe top three are TPS (throttle positioning sensor), EGR (ehaust gas recirculation) valve, or a bad CAT (catylitic Converter) causing back pressure on the engine. Disconnect the exhaust at the manifold and see if there is a difference.
  • gwilliagwillia Member Posts: 2
    I have tried the catylitic converter and that wasn't it. I scaned the engine and no codes come up on the computer. Will try the tps and egr next and let you know what happens. Thanks
  • pawnansellpawnansell Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    has any one ported the head, intake, exhaust and did it help with power and gas milage?
    It's a 4 cylinder. If you want fast, buy fast.
  • znozno Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem, had the vehicle into several mechanics, we replaced several parts like you, no luck. Know what it turned out to be? I went out and looked under the hood at night in the dark, and on close inspection saw a tiny blue spark jumping from a CHEAP SPARK PLUG WIRE BOOT to engine block. $25 for a decent set of wires fixed it.
  • jpoindjpoind Member Posts: 1
    out of no where i had a loss of power and exhaust is blowing back through the air intake i have replaced egr, mass airflow, cam sensor, catalytic converter and checked the timing i am out of ideas any help would but great
  • fkswiftfkswift Member Posts: 1
    replaced both coils cause had starting problem after truck was driven for a while. once you turn off truck then go back to try and start the truck it will not start wait about 20 mins and it might start then
  • mggiemamggiema Member Posts: 2
  • mggiemamggiema Member Posts: 2
    Help, I was coming home from work tonight, truck started right up. I drove 2 miles with no problems, went to make a right turn and the engine died. It would not restart and battery, check gauges lite was on, but all lights were really dim. It is unusually cold here, it was really late, police came , had no jumper cables so I parked it and they gave me a ride home. I just want to make sure I try to cover all bases when I go back in the morning.
  • jarboejarboe Member Posts: 1
    Vacuum hose close to firewall almost middle(a little towards the driver side). There is a junction and one of the hoses has come off the post or has a leak. I have had this happen, and it took only putting the boot/hose back on the post.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    I have the above truck with automatic trans. and just purchased it about a month ago. I really like my truck but have a concern about vibration of the engine when in gear at a stoplight. I bought the truck as it was certified by the dealer with only 5,800mi. - basically a new truck with cheaper insurance and plates.
    Is it common to have "some" vibration with this 4 cylinder? When I say some, I mean that you can see the steering wheel vibrate a little and feel some in the seats, but not too bad.
    I had the dealer check it out and asked them if it had any recalls on this and they said that there was a computer upgrade or something of that nature and ran it through their diagnostics. When I got the truck back, it really didn't feel that much different.
    Am I expecting too much or is this the normal feel for this engine?
    I'd appreciate any info on this! Thanks