Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    And away you go.......image

Illustration Part Number Description Required Qty. Model List Price Our Price 001 76622-S50-003 RUBBER, BLADE (300MM) 1 ELEMENT 4.60 3.45
  • yanipyyanipy Member Posts: 1
    We llive in south Texas, and for the first time in my life I bought a new car- a 2007 Element and we love it.
    When I went to the dealer for the 3rd oil change this month, he handed me a list of things that needed to be done at 15,000 miles. I was rather "thrown back to speak," when I saw that the bill was to exceed my montly payment on an almost new car.
    I realize that the alignment and tyre rotation may not be important, but which others are really necessary? They suggested the replacement of: Air filters, Transmission fl.,spark plugs, Engine coolant. Should all of these maintanence jobs be done with such a low number of miles? Realistically, at what mileage, do you suggest??
    We are not hard drivers and rarely drive over 70 mi. per hr.
    Thanks,
    Greg V.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I suggest you find a new dealer. I dont know of ANY dealer who replaces spark plugs at 15K or engine coolant. Check your owners manual for what is supposed to be done around 15K.
  • gentlemen11911gentlemen11911 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I have 08 hondad Element with manual tranny with about 1000 miles on it. At times the car is silky smooth on shifting and acceleration, but sometimes the tranny makes loud noice when I shift and the car doesnt accelerate as fast. It seems to kind of drag. I also have a bigger problem on highway. When I go above 60 mph, the car starts to vibrate, I feel it mostly in the accelerator pedal. I need help guys, what causes those abovementioned problems? Does anyone else experiece them?
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    ...have the dealer fix it!!!

If he cannot do it in three tries, have the lemon law take the car back for a new and good running one. It should be silky smooth all the time!!!
  • baemourbaemour Member Posts: 2
    I did get a stone hit and large crack to my windshield within my first year.
    I have insurance w/ lower glass deductable. Should the dealership pay me back for the deductable anyway?
    Also, isn't the top portion of the orig windshield shaded? the replacement one is not and the Safelite company wouldn't retrieve the broken one from their dumpster to prove me wrong...am I dreaming that there was a 4 or 5 inch shaded area on the top of the windshield? Honda parts department only shows one item number and won't order it in to look unless I buy it. Please advise or share your experiences
    Thanks
    Madeleine
  • elementmanelementman Member Posts: 11
    This may have been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find where. The PS air bag in my 2006 Element blew last year (bottom impact - no body damage) and the SRS light has been lit on my dash since then. It's a dinky little bag, and not worth $1100 to replace for the passenger side IMO. I'm cutting the bag off and sewing up the seat. My questions are two... 1) will the other bags still work with the one blown and the light on? and 2) can I bypass the blown one somehow to make the light go out?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve
    Ok...first of all i do NOT condone doing this with airbags, but you are right the are spendy. The other bags will work once you reset the computer and the light will go out. I used to work in auto body and did this on a few repairables but once again i strongly suggest replacing the airbag.
  • rystumprystump Member Posts: 1
    hello
    my 2005 element ex 5 sp (87,000 miles with only oil changes and tire rotations to this point) has developed a clicking noise in the rear when turning. it is worse the tighter the wheel is turned. i have read some posts that say it may be the rear differential. has anyone had a definite diagnosis? my tires are cupped so i thought that maybe it was just my tires gripping. any info would be appreciated.
    thanks
    ryan
  • joel30joel30 Member Posts: 6
    i had the same problem and it was the diff fluid needed to be changed and after you do that you have to change the fluid every 15 to 20 thousand miles
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    This may have been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find where. The PS air bag in my 2006 Element blew last year (bottom impact - no body damage) and the SRS light has been lit on my dash since then. It's a dinky little bag, and not worth $1100 to replace for the passenger side IMO. I'm cutting the bag off and sewing up the seat. My questions are two... 1) will the other bags still work with the one blown and the light on? and 2) can I bypass the blown one somehow to make the light go out?

Thanks in advance!!!

I am pretty sure Element is like any other Honda, where if an airbag is deployed, you need to replace the SRS computer.

With the SRS light on, the other airbag will not deploy, and you will not pass safety inspection.

If you don't feel like paying $1100 for the airbag from the dealer, check out junk yards, or ebay for an undeployed bag and SRS computer from a wrecked Element.

Good luck.
  • deni2deni2 Member Posts: 2
    i recently changed the upper mounts, new struts all four (monroe struts), links and front brakes and expected to have a very smooth ride on bumps, but something is still not right, ride on bumps id very rough, feels like i chaned nothing , and i realised the right spring is a bit loose
    what can i do to have a smooth ride?
  • deni2deni2 Member Posts: 2
    about the suspension problems, its a 2003 honda element and has 200000 mileage on it, i fixed a lot of stuff since purchasing it last december, new tyres, sensor for catalyst, rear bushings.
    riding on bumpy surfaces is very uncomfortable, very rough and lots of noise so i changed upper mounts, links and changed all 4 struts (monroe struts) after all this i dont feel any difference, the right spring is a bit loose
    please help me out
  • rjnvpnrjnvpn Member Posts: 3
    Did your Element ever ride smoothly? I'm about to have my front struts and bearings replaced next month so I'll see if it makes a difference. Right now, when I drive the freeway, I feel like I'm in a jack-hammer. But, I wonder if a smooth ride is a feature of the Element in the first place. Not much in advice here; just my thoughts.
    I dont think any Element has every rode smoothly for the simple fact of a small wheel base and a tall vehical. Maybe if you put airbags in for the suspension but otherwise i doubt it will ride real smooth.
  • rjnvpnrjnvpn Member Posts: 3
    Dittos! I don't expect a comfortable ride in my Element; it's such a utilitarian, all-purpose vehicle. I read where the Element was described as "a new car for an old hippie"..............
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Hello,
    I just purchased an 05 Element (58k miles) and noticed on the first night that none of the dash lights come on except for the gauge needles. The dimmer works on the needles, but none of the panel lights come on -- including the radio and climate controls. It's at an independent mechanic right now and they are trying to diagnose the problem, but so far it seems they are just replacing bulbs.

Does anyone know if there have been common problems with Elements losing their dash lighting? Even if replacing all 20 (+/-) bulbs in the dash solves the problem, I feel like that's not going to fix the "root" of the problem...*something" must have caused all of the lights to go out at once.

And, yes, the first things we checked were the fuse boxes for blown fuses. They were all fine...any other suggestions?

Thanks, Brian
  • rgoeltschrgoeltsch Member Posts: 1
    Bought an ' 03 with 75K last March and had groaning on tight turns. Was told by dealer that rear diff fluid needed to be changed every 30K, not 60K and that rear clutches might need to be burnished. I found a Service Bulletin for 2002-2007 CR-V that applies to Element. I followed it and all is quiet and working well after 15K. I do not remember the website, but have a paper copy of the Bulletin. I am willing to fax it if you are willing to reply with a fax number!!
    Bob
    change the diff fluid i had the same problem if you dont change fluid the diff will go out and is expensive i been changing the diff fluid every 20k to be safe
    In the meantime Honda has reformulated the rear diff fluid. All diff fluid changes that are made today have to be done with the new formula. There has been some questioning if the diff needs a flushing or if the remaining old style fluid will mix with the new formula. Honda changed my rear diff fluid in the '05 CR-V at 20K miles at no cost to the uprated formula. My '07 Element has been upgraded too at my request without any flack from HA...
    No need to change if you don't hear the ;grinding'. It is just the friction plates 'skipping' due to worn out fluid. Drive until you hear the noise in tight turns....
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    As a followup to my original post, the Honda dealer quickly diagnosed the problem as a faulty gauge cluster -- somewhere in the wiring harness where it plugs into the back of the cluster, it wasn't making a good connection and was causing the dash lights to stay off when the headlights came on. The tech showed me how if he tilted the cluster down, all of the lights came on...but when he tilted it upright to place it back into the dash, all of the lights switched off.

The new gauge cluster was about $275, plus an additional $60 to have the new odometer programmed with my current mileage (rather than 0 miles with a disclosure sticker on the car). It took a week to diagnose and fix the problem, but it's all better now and was a relatively simple fix. Initially, I was afraid it would be a mysterious short in the wiring somewhere that they wouldn't be able to track down, so I'm thrilled that it's fixed.

Brian
  • marty1946marty1946 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have a 2006 Honda Element. The air conditioning when I started up to go to work would not go on. I work at Sears in the automotive dept. and had them check my problem. When they brought it in the shop the air conditioning was working and cooling. When I left work it was working fine, but then again it quit. Could not get the blower to engage. At first I thought it might be a fuse. Help. Please email if you can at [email protected] Thanks, Marty
  • dpomperdpomper Member Posts: 1
    I've read a few of the reviews on the Element. My wife and I have been looking at getting one. I've never owned a Honda. We're looking at an '04 EX AWD with 54k, or an '05 with a 5-spd manual. What are some things we should look for? Is there a timing belt schedule? Thanks in advance.
    no there is no timing belt just timing chain you dont have to worry about that just change every 20k the diff fluid is a must because is start making a click sound onthe rear of the car
  • elementmanelementman Member Posts: 11
    I own a 2006 Element AWD auto with 64K miles and love the car! I drive hard with lots of stop and go and lots of dusty roads. On second set of tires (first replacement set) and replaced front pads once. Other than that, regular oil changes is about all I've needed. I am such a believer we bought a 2008 for my wife to drive. We are a 2 Element family!! Honda Element - the people's car. :-)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Yes, I have a 2006 Honda Element. The air conditioning when I started up to go to work would not go on. I work at Sears in the automotive dept. and had them check my problem. When they brought it in the shop the air conditioning was working and cooling. When I left work it was working fine, but then again it quit. Could not get the blower to engage. At first I thought it might be a fuse. Help. Please email if you can at martinandreasenyahoo.com Thanks, Marty

You work in the automotive department and you come here for help? I guess, I won't be taking my car to Sears... Well, I wasn't going to anyway. :P

Start troubleshooting.... It is probably the transistor on the blower's variable speed module...

Good luck!
  • galapogosguygalapogosguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 honda element with the exact same surge problem you mentioned. Did you ever determine the cause? On cold starts in the morning it will surge as I back out of the drivewayand I need to press hard on the brake to keep from surging across the street! The problem soon goes away but as you said it's disconcerting.
  • weddleweddle Member Posts: 1
    This is my second Element. And my sixth broken windshield.
    Called my dealer, Howdy Honda in Austin and Honda Corporate, no help at all.
    I had one of my windshields replaced in a class action suit for the 03s, anybody
    know about one for an 08.

This is really getting old, I thought Honda had fixed this problem.
  • baemourbaemour Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 Element as well. I have replaced the windshield twice.
    I have a bug shield on the hood from the beginning.
    Yes, it is getting old!
  • elementrybahrelementrybahr Member Posts: 1
    My sons leased element was shifting very roughly n 1st gear so we brought it to AutoZone to read the error code. The code P0122 translates into Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Here is the catch, Honda will not sell you just the TPS. They insist that you buy the entire throttle body assembly for over $700.
    Not wanting to spend all that money I searched the Internet for a TPS and found a place that sells them (TPS) from anywhere from $112 to $145.
    I bought one, followed the detailed instructions and it works perfect now.
    You have to remove the throttle body to get at the TPS and remove the 'special' screws that secure the TPS to the throttle body. The instructions say to use a dremmel to cut a straight slot into the special screws so that you can use a flat blade common screwdriver. I did it old school and used a new hacksaw blade to cut the slot and it worked great.
    You will also need an accurate digital voltmeter to set the TPS at .45 volts. I had one I picked up at Lowes a few years ago and that was sufficient.

Bottom line: Dont be pressured into buying a complete throttle body assembly for a $100 part.
    If you want to buy the TPS from the same place I did, check out www.iapdirect.com.
    These are brand new, guaranteed TPS'.
  • greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    When does the Element need new shocks/struts? Mine has 67K and seem to be getting bumpy. I had the bushing replaced about 10K ago.
  • steak57steak57 Member Posts: 1
    my Father's Element has same problems. (1) airbag indicator light doesn't turn off.and (2)the radio was not working until drive after 5 ~10 mins, it will turn on by itself. Honda service ( Alpharetta GA ) cannot find out what happen. and they said it is possiblitlty of low voltage. so we got a new battery, but it still the same issue for Both.
    After been there so many times, my Dad cut and put a black tape to cover the air bag light(hahahaaaa... ) it works, and Radio will turn on by itself after 10 mins, anyway.
    PS.my 03 Honda Acc has a Radio light out issue, but it is on a recall. so I am thinking Honda may need thinking about recall Element for the air bag light and Radio problem. (How do we make Honda recall it?, any idea?) :confuse:
  • montanabuffmontanabuff Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the front seats side seams splitting & the side airbag deploying? We had this happen recently on the driver's side seat. Apparently, after not being driven for a few days, we were going to drive to town, and saw that the side seam had split & the airbag came out (without ANY impact) spontaneously. Kind of scary, not mention VERY expensive(!), because, of course we no longer have any warranty, and our insurance will not pay for it!
    The seams are also splitting on the bottom seat area.
    No, we're not huge fat people to cause this to happen & I was surpried that the seats aren't holding up. We've taken really good care of our Element; it's our "good" car, with 60,000+ miles, so it's not what I would call excessive wear & tear.
    Couldn't find any recall info on this...so beware!
  • boogerbutboogerbut Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    I just bought an 06 Honda Element and i love everything about it, but it has a squeak in the dash when i reach over 40 mph. It also only does it most of the time and not all of the time mostly when it is sunny and the air is on. I have had it at the dealership twice and they replaced a windsheild seal and then the barrings. Also when i picked it up both times from the Honda dealership, it still made the noise. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to fix it?
  • meghan424meghan424 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a VERY similiar situation. When it is hot out, and I go over 40 MPH, a squeal happens. Initially I thought someone was honking at me.. It kind of sounds like a muffled horn.. I took the car to the mechanic on 2 occasions.. The first time he found nothing wrong.. and the second time he said it was the tires.. 4 tires and 600.00 later, still the noise.. Did you find out anything? :cry:
  • boogerbutboogerbut Member Posts: 2
    I actually did find out what it is. It was the seal on the windshield. They actually had replaced the left side of it, but that didn't fix it until the found out it was the top. They pretty much glued the crap out of it, i don't think it is going to last forever, but it will for awhile. Hopefully that helps you.
  • tesprotespro Member Posts: 6
    I have exactly the same problem you describe in my 2004 Element. It randomly fails to start while in park. I have found a get-around that has worked every time. Leave the ignition turned on, press the brake, move the gear selector to neutral, then try starting. For us, it has never failed.

But the solution to my problem can't be the solenoid ... or it would still fail to start in neutral.

I'd sure like to know the REAL problem and solution!!!!
    edited July 2010
    I have this issue with my 07 E sometimes. Go to start it turn the key nothing happens, turn the key back try again it works. My best guess is this has something to do with the shift interlock system that dosent let the car start while it is in gear. It shows in park but for some reason the computer thinks its in gear. This also would explain why it will start in neutral and not in park.
  • briankolbybriankolby Member Posts: 2
    i was wondering if you have ever found out the reason for it not starting sometimes. my element does the same thing. I have to turn the key on and off many times then finally it will start. sometimes i think its going to leave me sitting in the middle of nowhere. not sure if its going to be a in the switch in the steering wheel or what. what have you tried?
    No, I've been afraid to raise this issue at the dealership since it is intermittent and I'm out of warranty. The potential repair cost is the scary thing .... and that's if they would actually fix it in the first place. The "bad solenoid" fix I read in a different post worries me ... because I don't think that is our problem. If I hadn't discovered the get-around of shifting to neutral, I would be afraid to drive my E! Just today, I had the same failure again and had to start from neutral. (I tried removing and re-inserting the key and attempting a restart first, though ..... unsuccessfully.)

One would think that by now Honda would have heard of this failure and would have a known fix. I wonder why they don't have an engineer reading this forum????
  • briankolbybriankolby Member Posts: 2
    IF I GET IT FIGURED OUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW
    Next time it happens, try to see if you just push up on the gear select a little bit if it will start. It sounds alot like the safety interlock for starting in gear.
    I tried your suggestion to no avail so I stopped by the dealership today. Fortunately, it wouldn't start in park for them, either. They thought it might be the "transmission range sensor." I came home, did a google search and found the following story on another site:

=======================================================

i have an '05 element and it is currently driving me crazy. here's the long story...

in december when it was <20*F outside the element started acting up. i'd hop in to start the car, turn the key, and nothing happened. i'd turn it off, try again. sometimes it would start on the second try, sometimes not. it didn't happen every day, just occasionally. sometimes i would have to put it in neutral, then try, and it worked. sometimes i would think "i'm not getting out of the driveway today" but it always eventually started. i got the battery tested and it was fine. i took it to my mechanic and left it for 3 days and it never happened to him.

i got online and researched at the honda element owners club forum and also called around the local honda shops to ask for opinions. the best guess was the transmission range switch, so i ordered it online. immediately, the element stopped having the problem. i mean, immediately from the moment of purchase. i never put the switch on. when it got here i put it in the shed in case it started doing it again.

fast forward to june...it's doing it again. on my 2nd day at a new job, on a job site, i thought i was going to be stuck there. it always starts, just takes multiple tries, and it only happens occasionally. i took it to the mechanic, he put on the transmission range switch and checked out everything, didn't see any problems. (of course it started right up for him \:\(

it's still doing it. i don't know what to do. i turn the key and get nothing. the dash lights come on, but it doesn't start. i don't hear any clicking or ticking or pumps running or anything. any ideas?

======================================================

So, once again, a dealer "guess" could cost piles of money with no solution. The dealer says they can't call Honda without the car in the shop.
    Maybe your E just 'thinks' the battery is no good! I noticed that when my wife's CR-V had a tired old battery, it would sometime act the same way. The car will not try to start if it senses insufficient amp-flow. It also acted like that when one of the battery terminals was loose. All the dash lights came on but NOTHING when she tried to start it. I would recommend you double check ALL terminals relating to starting the E, re-seat them, and clean them, then load them up with the anti-corrosion goop!
    Other posters with this same problem of intermittent failure to start in park have done the obvious - which is your recommendation. In my case, I even have a new battery. Also, if it were a battery or connection problem, why would it always start in neutral?
  • extech2extech2 Member Posts: 120
    The most likely causes are: worn ignition switch, the electrical part, or defective starter motor or defective fuel pump relay. If the engine turns over but fails to start then it is probably the fuel pump or the relay. If the engine won't turn then the starter or ign. switch. or the starter interlock. You need to have someone check for lack of spark or fuel presssure while cranking the motor.
  • chellebchelleb Member Posts: 1
    I have had this problem twice so far with my Element. It is a 2004 Element EX Manual Transmission, has 180k miles on it, and was purchased brand new by me. The first time was a few years ago, and I don't remember what was done to repair it. The second time was this weekend. I had a lot of work done the last few weeks (head gasket, valves, etc....) and about 600 miles later this started. Just like the OP, at approx 3000rpm the car wouldn't take any gas. I am sitting at a Honda dealer right now, somewhere in NJ (about 250miles from home) and the tech has said that there is no oil in the car, and that is why it was happening. He says it looks like a seal that was incorrectly placed when the engine was put back together after having the head gasket, etc... replaced. They are on the phone with the dealer that performed the work to work this out.

I am pretty pissed that this has happened. I have faithfully gone to the dealer for everything that the car needs. I know I probably pay a little more, but for me, personally, it's worth it for the piece of mind. I am not a 'car person', so this suits me and I'm fine with it. Whatever this is going to cost to fix, etc...., rest assured the dealer that did the engine work will be reimbursing me for every penny that I have to pay out for this!

~Michelle
  • snazersnazer Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Honda Element EX was hit last December on the passenger side by an uninsured teen driver and I had just recently dropped my collision coverage. The two passenger side doors were pushed in slightly and the side airbag went off after the car came to a stop. I have since replaced the side doors with two used '05 Element doors, but have yet to replace the passenger side airbag and obviously have the airbag light lit up still on my dash. My Element has 179K miles but is still running strong and I don't currently have the money to go to the dealer or a bodyshop to have the passenger side airbag and sensor replaced. If I replaced the front passenger seat with a used seat with an intact side airbag, would that work to fix my problem more economically. I realize I'd still have to have a bodyshop do the installation and reset the airbag dash light. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks
    As a former auto body repair technican i have only one thing to say when it comes to people messing with air bags. If you dont have the proper training on how to repair DONT DO IT!!!!! There are many many things that can cause the air bag to to go off when its out of the car, as simple as a slight bit of static electricity. My advice on a vehical of that age and mileage would be to stich the seat back together and put a peice of black tape over the airbag light.