Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Owner Experiences

kwikkwik Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I just got an 04 ranger with a 3 liter 11000 miles
and was wondering if anyone has one with lots of miles. would like to know if u noticed a power drop or anything like that. i run this one hard like 5 and 6 rpm and it feels like it has hurt the motor. thanks

Comments

• jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    If it feels like it has hurt the motor then it probably has......
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    I keep hearing rumors that this might be the last year for the Ranger, because it's "old school" now. No crew cab, and Ford doesn't seem to put any money into it anymore. Any word on the street about that?

:confuse:
  • scotspitch56scotspitch56 Member Posts: 3
    i've got a 98 ranger with only 82000 miles and have had it since it came out and never had any problem w/ loss of power. and on the deal about the discontinuation of the rangers..... i wouldn't doubt it since it seems like every line of cars is being discontinued for a "new" car even though they can't sell the one's they already have.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Ranger will never have a crew cab model as long as the Explorer Sport Trac exists. They fill the same need.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • barbara_bbarbara_b Member Posts: 1
    I MADE MY 16 YEAR OLD SON PAY HALF WHEN I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK 3 MONTHS AGO WITH 128000 MILES. AFTER OUR FIRST OIL/FILTER AND AIR FILTER CHANGE THE ENGINE HAS STARTED TO IDLE MUCH FASTER TO THE POINT WHERE I AM CONCERNED HE WONT RIDE THE BRAKE ENOUGH AND HIT SOMEONE. I CHECKED THE THROTEL CABLES AND TRIED TO ADJUST IT DOWN, IT DIDN'T HELP. ONE TIME ITS TOO FAST THE NEXT ITS JUST RIGHT. A HINT FROM A FRIEND WAS THAT IT MIGHT BE THE FUEL FILTER WHICH IS SOMETIMES INSIDE THE TANK ON THESE FORDS. I REALLY DONT WANT TO MESS UP MY NEW MANICURE TAKING THE GAS TANK OFF PLEASE HELP.
  • bjyostenbjyosten Member Posts: 2
    I have a '91 Ranger 2WD 2.3L EFI. My fuel gauge is erratic (mostly indicates empty) at various fuel levels. Any suggestions?
  • bjyostenbjyosten Member Posts: 2
    I have a '91 Ranger 2WD 2.3L EFI. My tachometer displays an erroneous rpm(always lower than actual). Any suggestions?
  • yetti8yetti8 Member Posts: 7
    i am thinking on buying a 97 ford ranger with 240,000 miles is it a smart thing?
  • clintonjohnclintonjohn Member Posts: 99
    There are a million variables associated with making a used car purchase decision. You've given two-age and mileage.

To offer a more informed opinion, knowing such things as price, maintenence/maintenence records, type of driving done by the owner, was it a northern or Arizona car, 4 cylinder vs. 6, etc. would help. For instance, given the mileage and age alone without knowing anything else, I would say not to buy it. However, if the truck was driven primarily cross country through the southwest, meticulously maintained, and going for $500, I might still question it because of the low price makes it look like the owner is trying to get rid of it fast.

Thus, not only do you have to consider many variables, but also how much weight to give each variable-high mileage might not necessarily be bad versus a truck with 30k miles that was driven only in stop and go traffic and only for 5 miles at a time even though both trucks are the same age.
  • arcturusarcturus Member Posts: 4
    I just bought my 4th Ranger since 1992. I have never had a seconds trouble with any of my Rangers. My latest Ranger is the Sport model with the 3.0 V-6 and automatic. It has a smooth, solid feel and seems to be the best built Ranger yet. My only regret is the high ride height. My previous truck was a 2001 Dakota and I loved the low stance and great cornering. I'm afraid to push my Ranger in Corners for fear of tipping over. Other than that, I love the truck. I looked at a number of small trucks before going back to Ranger again, and none was as good a value. I loved my Dakota, but Dodge dropped the regular cab and changed the styling to the squared-off, blocky look that does not appeal to me.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i just recently went to my ford dealer looking at the rangers ( i used to have a 4x2 1994 3.0litre) well this time i wanted a 4x4 i was shocked at how bad their fuel economy was! i thought a little truck would get better than that. I even stopped and asked ranger owners at gas stations what they got. the average i have heard was 12-14mpg city and this was in 2 wheel drive withOut hauling anything. to be thats silly.. my friend with a full size silverado gets 14 mpg city! anyways my point is the ford dealership said ford recognizes the problem with very poor fuel economy of the rangers and they claim is not willing to do anything about it. the dealer was talking about ford getting rid of the ranger OR doing a completly new redesigned model from the ground up. He (the manager) said fords technology is way out of date and it shows in their fuel economy! when i had my ranger it lasted 135,000 miles before i got rid of it. i had NO problems with it at all. but this was in the 90's and we didnt worry about gas mileage back then. and from what the dealer said its the same technology from back then driving the rangers still...
  • chillin669chillin669 Member Posts: 9
    I had a ranger for 12 years(loved that truck) with 4.0V6. other then the fact it was a standard cab long bed with stick rarely ever got below 16mpg. The only time i got 13-14 is when i had a Paxton supercharger on it and gunned it all the time. I gave it to somebody, and that thing is still running strong with 180k on it too. I do think it is time for a redo though. You used to see them all over with everybody driving them. Now everybody drives the Tacoma or Nissan, which both pretty much outclass the Ranger. :)
  • eddiek47eddiek47 Member Posts: 1
    That would be great if your a junk dealer and the price is right
  • wantmorempgwantmorempg Member Posts: 4
    My story is as follows: I drive a Ford Ranger 1998 4 cylinder with approx. 180,000 miles, pickup as a courier for an Environmental Analysis Lab. I drive about 850 miles per week. I increased my MPG from an average of 27 mpg to 29.8mpg. It works out that for every .07 cents I spend on the additive I save about .22 cents. That’s good economics. If you’d like more free info; you can contact me by email which is listed in my profile. The EPA mileage est. are 24 mpg to 28 mpg on the new ones with a 4 cylinder.

What are your driving habits? Maybe the pre 1998 models did only get around 14 mpg. I'm puzzled. :confuse:
  • randalllrandalll Member Posts: 2
  • randalllrandalll Member Posts: 2
    Are there specialty shops for Ford Rangers in San Fran or LA area?
    I have a '92, 2x4, 5 spd, 3.0, super cab w/ 350k miles that needs to be brought back to zero time w/up-graded parts.
    I'll have to change my trans, gears, A/C, maybe a 3.0 to a 4.0, turbo, part time 4x4, and interior.
    Q. I understd there is an American made transmission for a 92
    super cab? I've gone through three already and I understd the
    Japanese companies stopped manufacturing 92
    transmissions. My second and third trans were used.
    Q. What do you think of the 4.0, compared to 3.0? My gas
    milage has been at 16 to18 mpg, even w/ dual exhausts.
    Q. Anyone with a part time 4x4, what do you think of your unit_
    gas milage? Is it worth getting it?
    Thanks for the help. I hope to run my Ranger for another 17 yrs.
  • acleme2acleme2 Member Posts: 3
  • acleme2acleme2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. After reading through some posts, it looks like I'm in the right place. I am considering buying a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT, but I am having some reservations because of a few problems it has. I was wondering if someone out there could look over the problems, and give me some sound advice as to whether I should buy this truck. Here's the situation:

FACTS:
    1995 Ford Ranger XLT
    4X4 Automatic Transmission
    4.0L V6
    137,000 Miles
    $3,750.00 asking price.

THE GOOD:
    Interior looks like a new truck.
    Exterior in good condition.
    Engine clean and looks great.
    I can tell it has been well-cared for.
    One-owner.
    All service records were kept and are available.
    Overall, it's a nice looking truck that seems to be well cared for.

THE BAD (potentially)...
    1. After driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that the transmission slips when shifting from 2nd into 3rd. He says it doesn't do it in the winter, and not very often in the summer. The owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

2. Once again, after driving for a long period of time (1-2 hours) in high outdoor temperatures (above 85), the owner says that when you come to a stop, like at a convenience store, that the truck will not idle at low speeds. It sputters and dies. Once the truck cools, everything is fine again. And once again, the owner says it's been doing this for the last 60,000 miles, and that I shouldn't worry about it.

3. When I took it for a test drive, I noticed a "clunk" in the back when coming to a complete stop, and then again when starting again. It kinda feels like there something in the bed that's rolling around.

Well, that's about it. I'm worried about buying the truck because of the problems listed above. What do you guys think. It's a good-looking truck at a fair price - just not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • safedadsafedad Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchase of used (2002 - 2006) Ford Ranger. Will be driven primarily by my teenagers. Anyone have any experience about how well the rear end sticks to the road? I know some pick-ups can easily fish-tail. We live in northern climate, so snowy roads are occasionally part of the picture.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Most pickups have terrible front/rear weight ratios. And, with rear wheel drive, this is even more troublesome under slick road conditions.

The bed of a pickup can be loaded with weight (Bags of gravel, sand, etc from the local home store. I recommend at least 200 pounds.) which will help.

But I think the average teenager can easily slide a Ranger off the road, with any amount of weight, under any road conditions.

Ok, being a little less smart-a**, the worse vehicle I've ever driven was my father's 1966 Ford pickup. I got it stuck on almost level ground in wet, slick grass. When Dad was no longer able to drive, I took it. I put all-weather tires on it, not Mud/Snow knobbies, and loaded it in the winter with two rows of firewood across the rear tires in the bed. This took me to work for several years, sometimes in the worse freezing drizzle Oklahoma weather could throw at me. My drive was on mostly level ground, but light rain at about 30 degrees produces a road surface akin to a skating rink, and this old truck got me through it.

I traded up to a 94 Ranger with a fiberglass cap which weighed at least 100 pounds. I loaded the rear with about 150 pounds of gravel bags, and it also got me to work ok. I did stick it trying to make a turn onto a country driveway in about 8 inches of snow.

So, with weight in the bed, a pickup can be a somewhat reliable vehicle in snow, etc. Tires with good tread also make a big different.

The second worse car was a 1979 Chevy Malibu with V8 motor in front. I stuck in on almost level ground on packed snow in a parking lot. Third worse, was my 1972 Corvette. I drove it unknowingly out into freezing drizzle. It wasn't frozen when I started, but one mile away on a hill it was freezing. I almost lost it over a huge embankment before I got it turned around. That car, on a slick street, would crab sideways while in gear, stopped, idling. It might have actually been the worse than the Malibu, but most of its years, after getting married and having another car available, I made every effort to never drive it on slick roads.

You really don't know about vehicles until you try them in bad weather. A 84 Olds Tornado, a front wheel drive tank, would 'go' good, but when stopping, the rear disk brakes always locked up and would throw the back of the car into the adjoining lane of traffic.
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking at a used 2006 4.0 liter 4x4 with 44k miles. I have always had Toyota trucks but I like the looks and ride of this Ranger. Any thoughts on this truck and the reliability of the 4.0 liter? Thx in advance.
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
  • OhioRangerOhioRanger Member Posts: 3
  • OhioRangerOhioRanger Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 ranger, bought new, 156k miles, has rusted off the frame hangers under the bed and been welded back. Right now, the muffler is rusted off, the 4x4 is dodgy at best (sometimes goes in, goes in/out, sometimes won't go in at all), has trouble starting in park (something to do with the gear shift, if I take it out/in a couple times, it usually eventually can start). This is a farm truck (as in routinely carries a lot of weight, muddy/dusty conditions, etc). I'm getting a new job where I'll have to travel and need a reliable vehicle. I took the truck to the dealership asking for estimate to get it spiffed back up and the guy said that he wouldn't put any money into it. He was real nice about it, but he said that "156k miles is a lot of miles for a ranger" He also said that if I haven't already done ball joints, then they will likely go soon.

I'm used to getting far more than this out of a vehicle. Yes, this truck has been used as a truck, but are Rangers really at death's door at 156k miles? The engine is strong and has no problems. Its just the body that's falling apart. The blue book on it (as a poor condition vehicle) is around $2k.

Would you put (likely) $2k into repairs or just look for a new vehicle? My biggest issue is that I need a reliable vehicle that will get me through snow, etc, etc. for work.

Oh, and MPG sucks on it @ 11MPG. So I am looking at some Hondas. But I'm still amazed that a Ford dealership would say the truck is on its last tires. I'm wondering if they weren't just trying to sell a car off the lot or something.
  • swykesswykes Member Posts: 2
    I built a frame out of 2x6 to create an area between the wheel wells -xtend the 2x6 a little past the narrowest point in front and back of the wheel wells - looks a little like #, but straighter. I fill this area with patio stones. They're flat so they don't hinder loading the box with other stuff, and the homemade frame keeps them centred right over the rear wheels. I've got about 250 lbs in there now and it makes a big improvement - of course replacing the all-season tires on the back with some good winter tires would make an even bigger difference
  • pktrrmpktrrm Member Posts: 2
    I know a guy who's still running his ranger with over 412000 miles on it. He says he'll quit driving it one of these days, but it keeps going...
  • robin2226robin2226 Member Posts: 14
    >>> I know a guy who's still running his ranger with over 412000 miles on it. He says he'll quit driving it one of these days, but it keeps going...

Why doesn't he call FORD company , to do an advertisement on that . If he said he does not know how to then sell the Ranger (with 412000) to me , so I will do it .

BTW what year is that Ranger ??????????
  • mldave1mldave1 Member Posts: 3
    Any comments pro or con on this shortbed single cab.It has 108,000 miles and the fellow is asking $2800 for it.What should i look out for.It's a 5 speed stick.Heard there way underpowered but I dont carry any big loads,ecept myself.anything to lookout for?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    They are way underpowered.

A shaft in the heater 'door' breaks, and dash must be removed to fix.

I don't know anything about 4x4, but there is a LOT of complaints about the RAnger one not working. Grease hardens up and will not shift?

That's a base truck. No extended cab. Is it at least an XLT? Is it in great shape inside and outside? Does it have a lot of options? Otherewise, it seems a little high. Almost 15 year old truck.
    Bolivar,haven't seen the truck except on the web,Ad says it's XL with Air and 4x4.looks clean from the photo's.If not already sold I may go take a looksee.Have been researching comments all day online about the vehicle,some pro's/some cons.Hope to have more comments here from those in the know. thanks,Dave
This discussion has been closed.