Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Something is very wrong with these images. A 4-cylinder Camry's exhaust is on the right hand side of the bumper. Surely, you should have noticed the bumper alignment and exhaust problem prior to delivery of your V6. Normally, the salesperson and the buyer conducts a walk-around inspection prior to delivery. Moreover, the dealer's PDI was obviously pretty much non-existent. I would be "all over" my salesperson on this one, but ultimately you share some responsibility for not noticing these problems at delivery. At least I know I visually scrutinize every new car I purchase before signing the final papers and driving off the lot.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>>I believe there is a difference between cars "Made in America" . . . and those made 100% (or close to that; like 95% parts from Japan), then those in the states of the same model.

Have you looked at the certificate of origin glued on the window of each new Camry? If not, you're in for a surprise. Cars assembled in Japan come from 75% made-in-America parts(!)-- exactly the same percentage as in Camrys assembled in Kentucky.

I suppose one can't rule out a difference in the quality of assembly, but the parts, they are the same.
    Although the OP wasn't perfectly clear, I think the real implication was of quality of assembly. And, here he/she may have a very valid point. This has been an on-going argument for imports built here in the USA for some time. Is the build quality of a Georgetown-built Camry equal to that of a Japanese-built Camry? Toyota USA says "yes," and so do the dealers, but I really wonder.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    ......"Drive gently and avoid high speeds

I guess it's a difference in interpretation. In the US now 70+ mph is the standard highway speed. Note that from prior models they dropped the recommendation not to go over 55 mph during breakin.

I interpret the guidance from the manual as meaning don't race anybody off the line thereby over-revving the engine or, within the limits of safety, come to a screeching stop.

Gentle but normal acceleration is the key, IMO. Consider though that if the vehicle is 'attempting' to learn the driving pattern of the new owner, and over the first 1000 miles one type of driving is done but then thereafter a different type of driving is done the AI systems can become skewed.

I'd take the guidance from the manual to be drive in your normal way and let the systems become accustomed to your patterns.
    Try driving 70+ in most of Illinois - of course, the Chicagoland area is another matter - and in most areas of Ohio and Pennsylvania, you will be paying serious speeding ticket fines. This is especially true in Ohio. Ohio state police monitor speeds on their interstates with great vigor.
  • flyingjflyingj Member Posts: 7
    I brought my 07 Camry back today and I am getting 100% refund. I will be getting a new Carolla soon.
    On most of the E Coast except in the heavily congested areas the 'normal' speed is 70-80. On I95 and I85, 85 mph is hardly unusual ( Jersey Tpke and south of Richmond ).
  • edsamedsam Member Posts: 14
    The dealer called this morning and promised a replacement bumper will be waiting for me on Wed (today is Mon). It took another Toyota dealer over a week to secure a replacement front bumper for my Highlander in June. Red non-SE V6's are not very common around here. Hmmm ...

I'll update the forum again after the repair.
    Am I wrong that the Lexus ES350 engine and transmission are essentially identical to the Camry V6? If so, why don't I find complaints posted on CarSpace message boards about hesitation in the ES350?

There is a board devoted to ES transmission problems. But the comments all refer back to earlier models. So far, new ES buyers seem to be very happy with their cars.

What's going on here? I might jump on the "Lexus is made in Japan" bandwagon if I didn't recall reading some complaints about Camrys assembled in Japan. It's something else I think.
  • ilovecars1ilovecars1 Member Posts: 119
    could you please explain your problems?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    A newer model and less of them.

The Camry came out about 2 months before the ES350 and I'm sure the V6 Camry outsells the ES350 on a monthly basis.

The majority of complaints has been from Kentucky V6's.
    All true, but the ES350 has sold approximately 21,000 units after 3 months. Complaints about Camry transmission problems started showing up here almost immediately after sales began. There isn't even one complaint about the new ES350 transmission posted.

Yes, the majority of complaints have been about Kentucky-built V6s, but that's likely because the overwhelming majority are assembled there.
  • savonsavon Member Posts: 3
    you are wrong, there has been a major transmission problem with lexus es350. just go to clublexus.com and read about it. you will be surprised.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i think it's important people do this as there have been numerous ES owners dealing with this for some time, and all the reflashes don't seem to be bringing them satisfaction:
    http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87068

the problem with the DBW/transmission in the Lexus pre-dates the Camry and Avalon and other model issues.
    Thanks for the info. Yep, there are transmission complaints there. Odd, none here. Well, at least that should put to rest the notion that it's a US vs Japan-assembly issue.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you check flyingj's profile, you'll find links to the posts where the problem is explained. That way you don't need to ask for them to be repeated. ;)
  • gartmacdgartmacd Member Posts: 27
    I own a new Avalon and I know this is a Camry discussion,but please bear with me. On a recent visit to a Toyota Dealer in Nova Scotia, Canada I happened to be speaking with a Service Manager. We had just dropped into the local (Yarmouth)Toyota dealer for a quick look around at the new models on display. I was asking about those transmission complaints and directed the Service Mgr to look at the Avalon forum, which he perused. His surprise was very clearly evident. They apparently haven't experienced any of the hesitation issues being reported. While I was there he also scanned this "Camry Woes" topic and saw a recent post showing pictures of a Camry rear bumper which was said to be a 4cyl bumper wrongly installed on a 6cyl model. A lot of criticism had resulted from that picture. He chuckled at that and showed me how it was undoubtedly a picture of a rear bumper damaged by impact of some kind. He said it would be impossible to install a 4cyl bumber on the 6 cyl frame because the frame mounts couldn't be lined up, and that the damage more likely occurred because the bumper was either hit, or was pulled out of position accidentally by some kind of impact.
    Now I can't speak to the reality of what I was told, but it did raise my curiosity, and I thought readers might find it equally interesting.
    Either way, It appears from what I read that the bumper will be replaced so regardless, there's a happy ending to the story.
    gartmacd, did you ask about the hesitation problem in toyota camry or avalon?
    TMSUSA, do you have any feedback on our LE 4 cylinder hesitation problem?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I also came to the same conclusion when I saw
    the picture; damaged bumper, not incorrect
    bumper
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You guys should clean your glasses. It is pretty clear from the pictures that there is no clearance cutout for the left exhaust pipe, and the bumper obviously is one used on a four cylinder single exhaust Camry. Dealer has admitted it was the wrong one and is replacing it. Plain and simple, this was assembly and inspection error at the plant, and the dealer didn't catch it either.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "Is the build quality of a Georgetown-built Camry equal to that of a Japanese-built Camry? Toyota USA says "yes," and so do the dealers, but I really wonder."

Sake hangovers aren't as rough as methanol-laced moonshine hangovers. ;)
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Ain't that the Truth.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Come on down to Houston you can drive 80+
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    "If so, why don't I find complaints posted on CarSpace message boards about hesitation in the ES350?"

My final answer is " "Because there are no hesitation problems with the ES350"

Did I answer your question correct or not?

LOL,

MidCow
    The Service Mgr.who reviewed the pictures pointed out the left side clearance cutout is plainly visible in those photos. (I can confirm that with or without glasses!! ;))
    He said there was evidently some accidental damage which caused the distortion of that bumper, and moved the bumper assembly out of alignment with the exhaust pipe. He was adamant the damage could not have been a result of improper assembly at the plant. He stated that it would have been impossible for assemblers to align mounting brackets with that much distortion of the entire assembly. No big deal as far as I'm concerned, and as stated, the result turned out to be a happy ending regardless of what caused the problem. I wish you lots of enjoyment with your Camry. All things considered, they are good cars.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    What a great attitude. Very refreshing. There are some with real problems (serious and minor) with their new Camry. There are others with perceived problems. Finally, there are others who are complaining and don't even own a Camry. Nice to see that you are pleased with the outcome.
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    SE 4cyl camry
    I was merging on to the highway today and was behind traffic merging and was runing out of lane and when I gave it gas to go it didnt want to go. It didnt down shift or anything it just basically wasnt going to go any faster so i floored it. didnt really take off then either but gradually took off. Thankfully the traffic merged to the left. But my point is when you need the power the car shouldnt just sit there and wait for a invation to go somewhere it should go. I can drive my car around like a grandfather but there are times i need to go and I do not feel comfortable with this car. What is Toyota going to do about this problem? Every other car I have own would of took off like it should of. I try not to put myself in those postions but it happens to everybody. Toyota what are you going to do about the hesitation and shifting problem in these cars and dont act like you dont know what we are talking about. We paid good money for these cars and at least show the repect that we gave your company by buying a camry from you. Make it right is all I ask
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    "The Service Mgr.who reviewed the pictures pointed out the left side clearance cutout is plainly visible in those photos. (I can confirm that with or without glasses!!"

The left tailpipe photo is too close up to truly confirm your service manager's claim of damage. Also, if his claim was indeed the case, the view indicates the left tailpipe bent to the right of said 'cutout'. This said, it's entirely possible that the wrong bumper was installed and exhaust heat captured by the bumper is what caused the distortion.

How about another left tailpipe photo taken from a few steps back, and one more showing both tailpipes? :)
    damon 34, when did you first noticed these problems? Ist day or after few thousand miles?
    I notice it right before my 5000 miles. No it didnt do it from the get go. I am working something out with a dealership but i dont think it is going to be a full refund she said she was going to give me close and hook me up on the SE v6 so i hope things go well. But what i want is toyota to give me full refund for my car. At first i would of just settle for fixing the car but then they had to be a as_ about it. So i want refund. But I bought new rims for it when i purchused the car so i have to stick with a toyota product. My pics of my car is under damon34 check them out.
    The dealer is coming clean(er). The sales manager has admitted that the 4 cylinder model bumper was installed on my 6 cylinder model by the dealer not the assembly plant in Kentucky. Thumbs up for US build quality. Thumbs down for slimey dealer in Canada.

I'm now waiting for the general manager to decide how the dealership will correct the overall situation. I asked him to pick up any repair cost and loss of use related to this incident. I also asked for compensation for not disclosing temporary replacement bumper and not performing PDI which I paid for. What will be a fair compensation?
    The dealer admitted they effed up. The 4 cylinder model bumper was installed by them. I have yet to receive a satisfactory response on why.

I posted the full rear view of the car. Check out:

http://www.carspace.com/edsam/Albums/2007%20Toyota%20Camry%20XLE%20V6/
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    edsam,

Wait a sec. So they basically sold you a "refurbished" car (and a badly refurbished one at that) as a "new" car?

Isn't that fraud and illegal?
    Interesting how the first reactions were to immediately say all kinds of nasty things about the manufacturer, and now the dealer's the goat. One wonders what really is at the bottom of it after the onion gets peeled completely.
    As regards compensation, seems to me just having the dealer replace it at no cost would be sufficient, but others may wish to seek more than that. Cash settlement for any and all wrongs seems to be the Rx of choice these days to sooth tortured souls.
    As a Canadian, I am somewhat embarrassed by what has occurred, but embarrassment is no excuse, nor is it an answer. Another poster made the point about this situation having the potential for fraud. It could be that the vehicle was damaged in transit or by the dealer, and to my knowledge this is supposed to be disclosed to a buyer. That said, the dealer might be culpable under Ontario law. The question then becomes "is going to that extreme really necessary?" Perhaps it was just a simple mistake by a well meaning employee.
    I would suggest just getting it fixed, and then move on. Life is too short otherwise.
    You seem to ask the same question of everyone without doing any research on the matter in this very forum. LOOK IT UP. Work is not a bad thing.
    kdhspyder, I don't think I asked anything to you, did I? I am reading all the mesg stating from June spending a lot of time. If you look into my profile, you will see that I joined 7 days ago after ordering a camry LE 4 cyl. So I am not as good memorizer like YOU. If you have nothing good to say, don't write the bad stuff.

nobody says work is a bad thing. YOU DO YOUR WORK AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. that will be good for you. :mad:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ilovecars1, the thing is that most of the folks don't want to read the same posts from the same people. It's very easy to find previous posts others have made. As I recently suggested to you, the person's profile will give you links to the last ten or so posts the person has made. You can also use the Search This Discussion feature.

We'd all appreciate your utilizing those tools instead of asking several people to repeat what they've already posted.

Thanks!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "I would suggest just getting it fixed, and then move on. Life is too short otherwise."

Totally agree, gartmacd - which probably makes us a mighty minority of two on the issue. Here in the U.S. the old west attitude of backing up ten paces and grunting, "Draw, stranger!" at the least slight has been replaced with, "You have hereby been served." In both cases, after the score was/is settled, it's always someone else who makes the real money on the outcome - undertakers in the Old West, contingency lawyers in the New Age.
  • chil777chil777 Member Posts: 5
    My LE4cyl Camry does the same and more. When I give it the gas to move I do not know if it will move, take off like a rabbit or just poke along. It does not like to coast down a hill as when I give it the gas to go up the next hill nothing for a short time. I have been told the computer is learning. Slowed down at Railroad Crossing at bottom of hill and train is comming and for a moment nothing and then the car would hardly move.But did make it across the tracks. Strange this train hauling steel to make Toyota's and about to mix its steel with the plastic and steel of my Camry. The Dealer tries to make me feel dumb, and act as if my problem is of my imagination and no tickets are written for the record. Next time I am going to insist on a ticket for my complaints, but in the meantime the computer is learning. Me too allow a lot of room driving.
  • jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    chil777
    I have the same problems with my car,2007 Camry LE 4cyl, and dealer as you. I wish Toyota would sell the their cars with computers with at least a high school education instead of kindergarden then we wouldn't have to wait 8 years for our car computers to learn!
    How has Toyota deceived the public and received number 1 ratings the past few years? What company gives the rating?
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    What company gives the rating? - Actually the ratings are based on consumer feedback (people who actually own the vehicles). That's how JD Power and Consumer Reports arrive at their ratings for all available vehicles.
    I think when they tell you that the computer is learning it is a lie.I have 13000 miles on my car and if it hasnt learned by now it never will. But my car doesnt hesitate all the time. It doesnt it when the weather is hot, And toyota does no about the problem with the cars. Your dealer is lying to you if they say they dont.And then you have camry owners on here that are critics because there car doesnt do the same thing our car does. I am happy their cars run great and they got a good one, but any of them that think i am nuts come on down to my house and take a test drive. Make sure you have insurance because i am going to take them to a busy intersection and let them make a left turn, and see how much they trust the car after that.
  • khanh007khanh007 Member Posts: 4
    Damon34,

Sorry for being off topic, but I looked in your profile and saw your car.

It's beautiful!

I was wondering if you could let me know what size wheels those are (18"? 19"?)

I think they looks the perfect size for the 2007 camry.

I plan on getting the SE, and I know I want to go larger on the wheels, but I am not exactly how 18" or 19" wheels would look on it.

Thanks for your help..

Khanh
    NO problem thanks for the comment and those wheels are 20s
    18s are not big enough they looked silly to me and 19s cost more money than 20s because of the odd size. SO i hope that helps you out choosing. The 20s does steel from the ride but I am telling you I get alot of comments on my car, I never in my life time i thought i would get good comments on a camry. If toyota could just fix my problems with my car i would have a great car.
    What is toyota going to do about the 4cyl camry. If you cant find a 4cyl camry out there that hesitates bad enough that will get you killed just ask me for my number I will let you borrow mine because again today my car took off super super super super slow and then basically quites going just rolls. I remember to count the seconds this time because the toyota rep got smart with me last time when i said it did that for 4 or 5 secs and he wanted to know how i counted but anyway. It took it 5 secs to get to 20mph it was crawling i thought i was going to get hit on both sides. SO when is Toyota going to fix the bad cars? and i dont care about the percentage of cars that arent bad I car about my car that i spent 24000 dollars that is a danger to me and my family. Or is it cheaper to pay a lawsuit for someone getting hurt or killed in my family than it is to recall the car.

Toyota company does not care about all of their customers. IF you do take my car back and give me back my money and make it right or fix the thing.
  • khanh007khanh007 Member Posts: 4
    Damon34,

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm gonna look into the 19's...I'll check the 18's out...hopefully they don't look too small to me.

20's would probably give a harsher ride than my wife or I would like...

Man...I gotta tell the truth though...I'me very hesitant about buying the SE or any camry (other than the Hybrid) due to this hesitation problem I have been reading about.

I understand it's a very small handful of owners compared to how many they sell, but still...it has me worried..

I hope they find a fix for your issue soon.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Khanh
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Without doing much research on Camry, I assume the current Camry I4 has the same 5 speed transmission as ES330.

ES330 learns the shifting about every 25 miles (programmed in metric, converts to about 25 miles). The ES330 5 speed has an inherited "uniqueness". Instead of one overdrive, Gear 4 and 5 are both overdrives. A programming update will reduce (not eliminate) the harsh (or delay) shifting due to having 2 overdrives.

Maybe there is a transmission program update available for your Camry. Keep in mind, the update is irreversible.
    thanks for the comments. Are you wanting to get the SE 4cyl or the 6cyl? I dont think they are having problems with the 6cyls except for the trannys going bad but i am not for sure. If you are looking at the 4cyl I wouldnt risk it, because if you get one you are stuck with it, and my se didnt show any problems till about 5000 miles on it. The shifting in cruise did at first but they used that old saying the car has to learn how You drive. which is bullsh__.But i test drove the v6 the other day and very impressive on the power. But i would really think hard about it. THis is just me but knowing what I no I would choose company to buy from because Toyota is terrible. I dont care what the Toyota guy tells you on here, Toyota looks at me like i am nuts. but look at how many people are having the problems on here. They may not be alot of them but it is out there and the car is dangerous. I would rather have a rope tied the throttlebody and pull it when i need gas to go, at least I know it is going to go. And like i said the car doesnt do it all the time weirdest car i have ever drove and i have own 28 cars of all different kinds.
    I think i am going to go up to the honda dealership that my wife bought her car and for the customers that cant make up their mind if they want camry or honda let them test drive my car. When my wife bought her honda a month ago I took her spare key to her trade in. Well i went to give it to her salesman and he had a couple there that was interested in a camry or a honda they didnt no what they wanted, so anyway i told him about my camry when we bought my wifes car and he was telling them about my camry when they brought it up that they were going to look at them.SO I was nice enough to let them test drive my car and when they came back they thanked me for letting them drive my car and bought the accord. Said it was terrible. of course they didnt want to hurt my feelings but the couple was blunt about the car. SO i wouldnt buy one until toyota gets their stuff together.