Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• dino01dino01 Member Posts: 26
    This method has been tried before. Other people has reported it will work for awhile and then reverse back. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    that this discussion is about any problems some owners may be having with their 07 Camry. It is not the right place to pursue Toyota's difficulties as a manufacturer. The Automotive News & Views board is where you want to go for that line of discussion.

I'm sorry, but I am continuing to need to remove misplaced posts. Folks interested in that subject need to find whichever of the multiple Toyota discussions on that board that interests you - I don't want to move your post to one that you haven't chosen.

Thanks!
  • damon34damon34 Member Posts: 124
    I have done to my car twice and it last about week to two. The transmission still shifts up and down, It doesnt no what gear it wants in. but yes it does work for alittle while.
  • lpeters3lpeters3 Member Posts: 7
    So the '07 Camry has 2 transmisison defects and an additonal 3rd transmission defect maybe, or maybe its something else. Who knows.

Toyota has been silent on the issue so we're all speculating.

Im not an automotive engineer, nor should I have to be to own a reliable car.
  • prowler161prowler161 Member Posts: 22
    I had the rattleling problem in my vehicle and I found that it was the heat shield above the mufflers. I bent them accordingly and I have not heard any rattles since.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    as another poster (and other posters in other related forums) has mentioned, disconnecting the battery is merely a temporary mitigating technique.

while for some, it does seems to point to parameter mapping in the ECU or TCM which ultimately handles throttle and transmission control, it's still possible that a hardware issue exists which is being complicated by the embedded software programming in these controllers...

for example possibly the zero calibration of the throttle position sensor (TPS) or accelerator pedal is being reset when the vehicle's power supply is interrupted. cutting battery power to the controllers could force the programming to default to initial settings which are then refined over time and activation cycles.

this would explain (potentially) why some people don't notice a problem at all, but then after some mileage on the vehicle, have an issue.

if this were the sole contributing cause (ie software programming and NOT hardware), then one would think

a). everyone would have the problems cited, and
    b). the manufacturer would have solved it by now

but this is clearly not the case.

if only a transmission control / engine control engineer would frequent the forum and weigh-in on probable causes of the observations.

please let us know if the hesitation comes back. hopefully it will not. good luck.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    --"...possibly the zero calibration of the throttle position sensor (TPS) or accelerator pedal is being reset when the vehicle's power supply is interrupted ... to default to initial settings which are then refined over time and activation cycles ... then after some mileage on the vehicle, [some owners] have an issue. ... if this were the sole contributing cause (ie software programming and NOT hardware), then one would think ... a). everyone would have the problems cited, and b). the manufacturer would have solved it by now..."--

Excuse my clumsy editing for brevity's sake, user777, but your thoughts on this issue are intriguing. I would only add the possibility that some circuitry component provided by one of Toyota's suppliers out of perhaps several suppliers in the ECM and/or TCM may be marginally rated for its designed function and kicking the throttle response to an extreme setting once the "learning" experience begins (or begins anew after the battery disconnect reset). Those recent '07 Camry buyers "lucky" enough to get the flakey circuit board component from the particular supplier end up with the drivability problem. Let me further hasten to point out that this is speculation, only, not a hard and fast diagnosis.
    I would only add the possibility that some circuitry component provided by one of Toyota's suppliers out of perhaps several suppliers in the ECM and/or TCM may be marginally rated for its designed function and kicking the throttle response to an extreme setting once the "learning" experience begins (or begins anew after the battery disconnect reset).

yeah, i could see that. a marginal part - something the designers didn't consider would be an outlier.
  • camaddencamadden Member Posts: 8
    I am sorry to tell you this but I already had my hearing and lost because I couldn't prove that it is a safety issue. Toyota knows there is a major problem here and there is NO fix for it. The Toyota rep told us that replacing the transmission would have no affect. Let us know how your hearing goes. Good luck...
  • curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    I just got an ES330 which uses the previous generation of transmission and computer. It sometimes hesitates on acceleration but I have never felt in danger because of it.

After careful tests I have determined that on my car there is hesitation only if I gently press the gas pedal. This is fine because it saves gas.

When I stab the pedal, the car takes off briskly.

The hesitation problem for the newest transmission and software combination may also be related to how quickly and how far you press the pedal. The computer can easily determine how fast you are moving the pedal, which makes this different from what we are used to with a non-computerized transmission.

I suggest that you take a test drive where there is little traffic and experiment with "stabbing" the pedal.
  • sholzsholz Member Posts: 1
    I would assume you would strongly avoid the toyota camry.
    I am looking for a new car and after reading all the tranmission post might look at a altima or honda. As far as you know are all the camry's of 2007 affected?

Stan Holz
  • oilpatchoilpatch Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody had any of the discussed problems with the 4cyl and manual transmission?
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Good evening everyone;
    Well, last night was the first COOL night of the summer, 50 degrees and we had NOT encountered the 3 to 4 RMP spike before. Guess WHAT? It's there! Just a little spike which was NOT there when it was 70 degrees or more every morning. I can't wait for the 0 degree mornings! If you live in the southern climates, you will most likely never experience this issue BUT for us NORTHERN residents, Canada and the Northern US states, you will have to have the TSB applied. Not certain if Toyota has "fixed" later production models, but our SE V6 weas built in late April and it has the SPIKE!
    I will not take it to the dealer until later this autumn, as that is when the first oil change is required.
    Anyway, ALL you V6 owners, do a test and let us know. Check out you Temperature gauge. When it was warm, the gauge would move almost immediately. Last night, it barely moved and the SPIKE occured!
    I can't wait for the cooler mornings!
    I have been stating for awhile that i think it is weather related. Friday it was somewhat hot and my car hesitated right after work. Drove alot saturday and today, sunday with a/c on anyway even though it wasnt real hot. Car drove perfect except for the shifting gear issues with the car. I think there is something that when it gets hot and humid i think a sensor or something goes bad. It might be a easy fix Who knows. Would anybody like to reply to this.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    If I was looking for a MT, I'd be on the lookout for the cruise control issue. I personally think it's probably a couple of root cause problems, all contributing to the cruise control causing transmission shifting. Since the engine is the same in a MT, it may depend on how high the gearing is with the MT......as compared to the AT.

The AT 5th gearing is overdrive gearing, which keeps the rpm's low (and mpg high). If you look at the engine spec's (I posted previously on my carspace), you see that both the HP and engine torque are low when the rpm's are low. In my opinion, I think the reduced engine performance can't hold the target speed without downshifting, sometimes from 5th to 3rd which is pretty jarring. If I remember an earlier post correctly, at least one reader has reported an overly lean condition recorded by a Toyota rep, which might be another contributing factor.

So if I were buying a MT, I'd check to see whether this problem existed while driving. You could also check the comparative gearing ratios between the two transmissions.

A number of readers aren't reporting the cruise control or hesitation problem at all....so hard to speculate why some vehicles have this, and others don't.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    4th gear is an OD gear also.

No hesitation or cruise control problems with my XLE I4.
  • rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    A few people on this and other sites have reported hesitation problems with '07 Camry's with 5MT. It makes sense as the lean condition on application of throttle applies to the 4-cyl engine irrespective of the transmission.

I would not think it would be as bad as with a 5AT since you can leave your car in whatever gear you are using and apply as much throttle as needed to overcome the leanness, but I haven't driven a 5MT so I can't really speak with any authority.

I would also urge you to do a serious extended test drive and check out how the car responds after slowing down and attempting to speed up again. Also, check how the car accelerates from a steady speed of 50 and/or 60MPH. This should satisfy you that the vehicle you are purchasing either does have the problem and you can live with it or not or the vehicle does not have the problem and you can be happy with the performance.
    I have noticed that the 5AT is OVERLY sensitive to the slightest pressure on the throttle. If I am on level ground or going up an incline and increase throttle, I will almost always get an unlock and a downshift (or two) to increase or maintain the speed I require. And it doesn't matter what the rpm's are.

In a number of other cars I've recently driven, some with 4AT's and some with 5AT's, upon throttle application the transmission will stay locked up in the gear you are cruising in and accelerate smoothly until you give a substantial push on the go pedal. My wife's Vibe (Corolla 4-cyl) will maintain lockup at 1500rpm (40mph) and pull smoothly up to 60 or 70mph with no hesitation, no unlock, no downshift. My '03 Camry 4-cyl 4AT would do the same. I could list a number of cars I have driven in the lat six months that operate in the same reasonable manner - EXCEPT for the '07 Camry. Darn car is programmed in such a way as to be extremely aggravating to drive, and not condusive to getting good fuel economy with all the downshifting and thrashing of the engine. And today I won't get into the unsafe situations this type of operation puts me in - nope, not today.
  • cortoncorton Member Posts: 53
    Has anyone actually had the RPM spike (RPM Flare) issue actually fixed on their 07 V6 Camry by replacing the transmission valve body or by any other means?

I know that Toyota issued a TSB in early August saying that they had a revised valve body that would fix the issue, so I'm curious as to whether or not the valve body replacement actually did anything or not.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The V6's appear to be free of problems after the snap ring issue was resolved quickly.

Many posters on the internet report problems of hesitation or RPM flares on the 4/5A systems. Most new owners by a huge margin do not report any serious deficiences in the 4/5A system.

It appears for now to be very annoying for those with the 4/5A problems but it is also very sporadic and very limited in scope.
    A few people on this and other sites have reported hesitation problems with '07 Camry's with 5MT. It makes sense as the lean condition on application of throttle applies to the 4-cyl engine irrespective of the transmission.

if true (irrespective of MT vs. AT) this would tend to de-emphasize the transmission or transmission control or transmission valve body and/or solenoids as somehow at root cause.

still leaves the accelerator pedal and throttle body assemblies at potential root cause if both the MT and AT versions are DBW technology.

of course there are many other variables to consider.
    Many posters on the internet report problems of hesitation or RPM flares on the 4/5A systems. Most new owners by a huge margin do not report any serious deficiencies in the 4/5A system.

There are no reported instances of RPM flares (spikes) with the 4-cyl 5AT systems. The flare issue is with the V6 6AT system and is still found in vehicles sitting on dealers lots. The issue has reportedly been fixed with a recent TSB.

Also, I have not seen a "huge" number of owners reporting no problems with the 4-cyl 5AT. A good percentage of owner reviews mention their dissatisfaction with hesitation and/or excessive gear hunting during cruise control operation.
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    After a 14-week wait, my SE-V6 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully, everything will work and dealer prep will be satisfactory. I spoke with a sales manager last Friday who said that there was no price increase on the car, so I hope everyone at the dealership is on the same page tomorrow.
  • eddiecruzeddiecruz Member Posts: 18
    Let us know if you experience any of the problems listed on this board.
  • lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    My '07 V6 SE is at the dealership now getting the valve body replaced. This is my first post, but I've read most of your previous postings. When I read #60, I wanted to hug you. That was exactly what my car was doing. After two trips to the dealer, they had me convinced that I was crazy. Even with an overnight stay, they could not duplicate the spike.

I dealt with the problem for about a month, but the RPM spiking was starting to get worse. At first it was cold starts in the am. only, then at lunch, and then after work. My problems started in late June with about 2000 miles on her. (VIN is 504703 / April '06 I think)

Last week I called TMS, got a case file, and took my dealer's Customer Relations Manager for a 'little ride' he won't soon forget. The RPM spike has now been recorded and sent to the tech group who recommended the valve body replacement. I'm driving a '07 LE 4Cyl that smells like a dog while an O'ring is on back order until the 31st.

It was a little unnerving to find this forum. I waited on this car for months and can't believe this is happening to me. I really hate her and she hates me.

I'll update you next week--if I get her back next week.
    Well i had my 4cyl camry at the shop today. They hooked it up to the computer trying to see if I had a bad sensor. Nope nothing wrong with the car except for it being a camry. I am so tired of that line. Nothing unusual for the camry. Drives like a camry. Best one yet looks like a camry drives like a camry. Dealership really tried to find something wrong with it but i really think it is the car. The car isnt right, cant be. I just wish that the car drove like that when i test drove it i would of never bought the car.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello,my car v-6 se is also at the shop for a new valve body. I was also told a O ring is on back order. They have had my car for 10 days and I have not heard when they expect to get this O ring. I would also like to hear if a valve Body replacement has solved the rpm flare for good. Can I have a witness?
    Hi Chuck28,Mine has been in for 8 days. I have absolutely no confidence in Joe Blow and Bubba from Hick town, LA to change my valve body let alone my transmission on my brand new $30K car. Especially since they acted as if I was the only dumb blond to be experiencing this RPM spike. I am blonde, but not dumb. I hate this car. It is titanium metallic with black leather. I also noticed that the A/C is not as cool as the rental. I asked the dealership to check the A/C. Their response was that it "felt cool to them". Isn't there a gauge that can measure the temperature instead of giving me their opinion. UGHHHHHH
    it's called a thermometer and they have a specification for the temp of the outlet of the vents most definitely.

you realize that you can get a colder temp in the interior of the vehicle if you place the vents on recirc (i presume you have a setting between outside/fresh air and recirculation) right?
  • vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    I rode in my coworkers 07 Camry today and was surprised at the rattles. The area on the top of the dash board near the windshield was rattling away even on decents streets.
  • kingfo001kingfo001 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I too have the 07 SE V6 with the RPM spike from 3rd-4th gear shift but only when the engine was cold or sat for 4hours or longer. It would only do it that one time and after that it would shift normally. Toyota did the TSB valve body replacement to no avail but when they replaced the entire transmission transaxle and torque converter, everything is good now. I've seen others where they had only the transmission replaced and the problem still exist. But it appears that when the transmission and torque converter are replaced, the problem clears up as mine and another 07 did. So, I would suggest everybody advise their dealers if they replacing the transmission to also do the torque converter. I don't know if its one or the other or a combination of both thats causing this problem. Good luck to all as mine is still running great after 3 weeks of the fix. I have to give credit to my dealer Freeman Toyota in Fort Worth, Texas as they didn't give me no hassle about this issue.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi Kingfo001;
    I think what you are confirming to me is that if I have hte RPM spiking, I may have to replace the entire transmission, tans axle and torque convertor.(transmission valve body alone won't fix it(TC008-06)!)
    Sure sounds like I want a replacement auto like what was offered originally.
  • concertkeyconcertkey Member Posts: 59
    After waiting two hours to take delivery because the salesman assigned to us forgot to put the car in for prep, I finally got to drive my SE-V6 home. I didn't take the car over 50 mph, but the car seemed solid, no rattles or sqeaks (it was raining), and the transmission seemed solid (no hesitations or flares). The car was made this month (August), so it may have had all of the service bulletin updates issued for the V6 to date. I will keep you appraised of any "woes" that come my way. I will also be posting over in the Price Paid/Buying experience forum to update what has been a long 14 weeks.
    Kingfo,

How long after the valve body was replaced did the RPM spike happen again? Did your car leave the service department or did they know that the problem was not fixed?
    Hi lativ6, after they replaced the valve body, of course I had to wait until morning toi test it out and it still did the same. In other words, that didn't work, only replacing both trans and converter did..
  • marjoe11marjoe11 Member Posts: 11
    Well we finely went to arbitration and the guy they sent after 10 days of waiting for an answer said the car was not bad enough for a buy back. So since that didn't work out I took this horrilble car and traded it for a new Honda Accord. The difference between the two cars is like night and day. I wish I would have bought the Honda in the first place, Wouldn't have lost a couple of grand on that piece of crap. Anyway the loss of the money was well worth not having to drive that piece of [non-permissible content removed] Camry anymore. The Honda is excellent, runs and drives like real car. To the Toyota rep that reads this thread, The people you work for should be ashamed of taking advantage of so many unsuspecting people. And if I were you I wouldn't work for a company that pedals such garbage as this.
    Good bye Toyota
    For the rest of you good luck
    lativ6, let me clarify on my respone to your question. After the dealer replaced the valve body, they still noticed that it was doing the same. So, since it was still driveable and not creating a safety issue they let me drive it until Toyota technical support got back with them on the next step. They were providing a loaner vehicle for me. So after a couple of days, the dealer advised they were ordering the new transmission and torque converter which arrived in two weeks which cleared the problem. As of now it drives great, excellent power, shifting, driveability, super economy and no rattles. Love the car.. Good luck...
    I feel bad for you and i am just about to do the same. IT is just a shame.I am 34 and my wife is 35 and we both get new cars every two years and toyota has just scared theirselves, And just think all the money they could of made off of us by just backing up their product. And i have changed alot of peoples minds about buying a camry. I have been looking at new cars and have had three sets of people ask me if that was my camry? And i told them the bad deal about toyota and how they dont care or take care of their customers and told them to check out this website and yahoo auto before they decide to buy.THey just couldnt believe that toyota wouldnt back it up. But anyway I am getting out of this car because i hate driven it. Thanks to all of they people here for support. Thanks
  • mytchandmbmytchandmb Member Posts: 10
    We have a 07 TCH with the seat that folds down. My kids lost some things between the rear and bottom cushion. I can reach down far enough to retrieve the item. With kids I expect it to happen fairly often.

Do anyone know how to remove the rear bottom cushion?

Thanks in advance

AC
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    If it's like the regular Camry and most vehicles there are two catches on the front of the seat cushion.

Lift up one side of the cushion at a time and it will lift right out.

Opposite for reinstall.
    Kingfo,

Why is Toyota wasting my time and their money? If replacing the valve body has not resolved the RPM Spike issue for anyone else, why are they attempting this fix for both me and other. It seems as though they should be taking notes and learning from past experience.

I'm really happy that you love your car again. I hope that I can be as forgiving. I agree with mesquite57 that the work done on your car sounds very invasive. I'm very uneasy about it.
    Thanks for theese updates. I now have to call my dealership and tell them to quit wasting their time.
    THey have had my car for 2 weeks and tell me they are waiting on a O ring for the valve body. go figure
  • briyoung1briyoung1 Member Posts: 6
    Okay I am new but concerned about the RPM spike issues, just bought an XLE a few weeks ago and I called my dealership about these concerns and they made me feel like I was ABSOLUTELY CRAZY..."they never heard of it"...SO my question is where can I find information to produce to the dealership? Has there been an actual recall?
    Anxious XLE
    Hello Briyoung, you can tell the shop to look up the TSB which is Toyota service bulliten.

TC004-06 3RD - 4TH GEAR SHIFT FLARE (REVISED)
    8/7/2006 - 2007 model year ES 350 vehicles.

Some customers may experience a sharp increase in RPM between the 3rd to 4th
    gear shift point during the first ten minutes of operation after a cold start. A revised transmission valve body has been developed to address this concern.

NOTE: This TSIB ONLY applies to vehicles that have been confirmed to have the customer concerns listed above.

File is associated with other vehicles. 2007 Lexus ES350 08-07-2006
    86Kbytes

TC008-06 3RD - 4TH GEAR SHIFT FLARE (REVISED)
    8/7/2006 - 2007 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the V6 engine.

Some customers may experience a sharp increase in RPM between the 3rd to 4th
    gear shift point during the first ten minutes of operation after a cold start. A revised transmission valve body has been developed to address this concern.

NOTE: This TSB ONLY applies to vehicles that have been confirmed to have the customer
    concerns listed above.
    Yes, it is more than frustrating that those of us that are afflicted with serious and sometimes unique issues with OUR '07 Camry's should be treated with such disrespect by the Toyota corporation.

In 1983, I had a Pontiac J2000 with a low-level "hum" between 45 to 65 mph that was giving me actual headaches after 30-40 minutes of driving the car. The salesman, service techs, and the district service manager could not hear or feel the "hum." A factory engineer came to the dealership and asked me a few questions about the "hum" and then went for a ride with me. He asked me if any other people had commented on the problem and I stated that my carpool associates and my wife did not seem to notice the "hum" like I did. Now at this point he could have said that there didn't seem to be any problem and it would have left me a frustrated owner looking to get rid of the car because I just wasn't going to put up with the headache issue. But no, he matter-of-factly stated that there was a known sub-harmonic, low frequency vibration occuring in the J2000 and that it only affected a very small number of people who were sensitive to the "low frequency bass vibrations." He said that, if I wanted to get out of the car, Pontiac would offer to give me 100% of my money back towards any other Pontiac vehicle. I had owned the vehicle for six months and I arranged to purchase a Pontiac 6000 on the spot. That is what I call being honest with the customer and showing them due respect. Pontiac stepped up and dealt both courteously and honestly with me. I haven't forgotten that and I still purchase Pontiac vehicles.

Toyota knows that there is a hesitation issue with some 4-cyl 5AT Camry's, but refuses to be honest with the owners. In the long run, this attitude is going to hurt them, especially if it spreads to other issues.
  • briyoung1briyoung1 Member Posts: 6
    I have an XLE and I am not 100% if I may be affected...What exactly should I be looking/feeling for?
    Concerned Concumer,
    Brian in PA
  • marjoe11marjoe11 Member Posts: 11
    WE got the Accord V6, What a nice driving car. When you step on the gas it goes right now and shifts just like it should. That was my first and last toyota. I'm sure there are other toyotas that are just fine but I am no longer willing to take that chance. Right now is a great time to get out of that car and into another because of the deals that all the manufacturers are doing right now. Good luck to you And I wish you and your family the best.
    Go to post #1058 and you will be able to download a .pdf file that describes the issue and the present solution.

It is interesting to note that the teaching procedure after the repair is quite specific and, if not followed properly, could lead to a transmission that continues to exhibit the flare.
  • guru_gguru_g Member Posts: 62
    I ordered a 2007 v6 Camry. I has been 8 weeks and the dealer has not even given me a date of manufacture!! Apparently, my VSC requirement is something that has delayed the delivery considerably. I do not know if the dealer is backing out due to the recent price increase. Considering the flare issue, I am very inclined to cancelling the order though the dealer told me that it has been fixed in the newly manufactured Camrys. Has the flare problem been resolved in newly manufactured Camrys? Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >Has the flare problem been resolved in newly manufactured Camrys?

That implies that they understand what is causing the flare. But posters here indicate Toyo doesn't seem to know what's causing the flare in their existing transmissions.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,