Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ok, but not a new transmission.

just ask them if it might be the accelerator pedal assembly.
  • lativ6lativ6 Member Posts: 14
    My answer is NO! I got my decision from the NCDS and they said, "..Customer did an excellent job of documenting the fact that her vehicle does have an abnormal RPM flare as the transmission shifts..noncomformity does not substantially affect the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The Customer's request that her vehicle be repurchased is hereby DENIED."

It didn't work guys. I've had my valve body replaced and transmission replaced. My car has spend 37 days at the dealership during 5 attempts to fix my RPM flare. I took Mesquite57's advise and went before an arbitrator and lost. I meet the criteria for Lemon Law as I interpret it.

I called several dealers about trading the car in, but stand to lose over $7,000! I'm going to get through the Holidays and regroup after the 1st. :(
  • tstahotstaho Member Posts: 3
    I also purchased a SE-V6 which has a braking problem. While sitting at a stop light with your foot on the brake, the brake pedal slowly goes to the floor and if not paying attention and increasing pressure to the brake, the car will start drifting forward. Toyota service department said this is normal and all Toyotas do the same thing. I've owned many Toyotas and have never experienced this or with any other make or model. Has anyone else this problem?
    I want my money back too!! We purchaed a 07 SE-VG in September. I began driving it to work and around town on surface streets and immediately started having a pain shooting up my right leg and into my hip. I mentioned this pain to my husband and told him I felt it was the alignment of the seat and gas/brake pedals. Needless to say, he at first thought I was crazy. I adjusted the seat over and over without relief. Then one day he drove the car around town and had the same problem. We took it in for service and told them about the physcial problems we were having with the pedal alignment and before even looking at the car, they said "there's not a problem". This makes me wonder if someone else is having the same problems?? We also wanted to get rid of the car because it's unbearable to drive.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I can't imagine anyone saying that what sounds like master cylinder leakage past the seals is "normal" with a straight face. I'd ask the joker to let you take a new car off the lot for a few days to try it and make sure it's doing the same thing.

That car is not safe whether it's new or 15 years old.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

tstaho, who exactly in the service department told you it's normal? imidazol97 has it right, this is a very serious problem. you need this corrected immediately.

if it were me, i'd have a word with the service manager and demand it be repaired right away and in the presence of the employee who claimed all Toyotas do the same thing. if it was a service writer or technician, the person should loose their job over this sort of thing. they sent you away in an unsafe vehicle.

if it was the service manager who told you it was normal, then i'd be looking for another dealership.
  • drjamesdrjames Member Posts: 274
    tstaho, if I may offer you some free medical advice. It may not be applicable or even near acurate since I've never examined you, however, if what you are describing as sharp and shooting pain from the low back/upper rear thigh down the leg into the foot, it is extremely probable that you and your husband have a vertebral disc herniation. Aside from recommending you visit your family doctor, something you can do in the mean time to adjust your driving position is to raise the rear seat cushion as high as it allows, and lowering the front seat cushion as low/near low as you can... thus creating a 10-15 degree upwards slope from front to rear. This angle will drastically reduce the loads on the vertebral disc and may alleviate the pain which you describe. Though this may sound uncoventional, it's simply biomechanics and I have seen improvement from many of my patients describing such pain. Try it out, and let me know if there is ANY relief.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    A friend of mine had a TSX with a similar problem, except it wasn't only at stop lights, he had major safety issues with the brakes - he could literally slam them with incongrous reaction from the vehicle, and was unable to even invoke ABS. Acura tried to remedy the situation 3 times, but when my friend REFUSED to drive the car, and test drives confirmed his allegations at different dealerships, Acura replaced his car entirely. No problems with the new version, but he was never given an explanation.

Bottom line - what you are experiencing is not normal, and should not be tolerated.

~alpha
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    lativ6, just so you understand your remaining options, binding arbitration (binding only on the manufacturer, NOT you) was only the first step. In some states binding arbitration must be attempted before the car owner can proceed under lemon law statutes. Had it gone your way, that would've settled the issue without involving lawyers and the legal system. Nevertheless, you're still free to pursue litigation under lemon law statutes. If you still feel strongly about the way your car drives, consider consulting a lawyer to discuss your actual legal remedies. Ask your county bar association for referals to lawyers who specialize in product liability cases and go from there. Good luck.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I think Dr James has some very good advice in the post above (# 2457).

My wife is having the same problem (and not just in driving), and she was diagnosed with a herniated disk. Surgery is one possible option, although we're hoping it won't be necessary.
  • ken74ken74 Member Posts: 13
    First let me say this... To all of you who are die-hard Toyota fans, who can't believe that Toyota would BS there customers, please do not respond to this post defending Toyota. There is no defense. They are stone-walling many of their customers. If there are any who believe otherwise, wake up and smell the coffee. Some of these folks have been customers for years and have owned many gens of Toyota. My family has owned Toyotas for many years with good results, until now. I am sorry for the rant that is about to ensue, but I have got to speak my mind.

As many of you may know, I have posted several times regarding the hesitation issue in the 07 Camry 2.4 VViT. Just to recap in case you have not, I have taken my car to the dealer several times to have this hesitation diagnosed, each time resulted in "unable to duplicate" and "the car is driving normal". Wow, that sounds identical to every other person's complaint I have heard or read about. (Hmnnn..... very strange, isn't it?) I have had the regional rep come out to look at it, and that's about all he did. He did not drive the car and basically blew me off.

Toyota would not acknowledge this problem in anyway, but, all the sudden there is a TSB for it. Until recently, and after the TSB release, I still could not get a straight answer from Toyota about this issue (hesitation) and whether or not the TSB was aimed at correcting it.

Moving to a recent phone call to Toyota Motor Sales, I finally had someone at Toyota lay it all out for me.

Yes, Toyota knows there is a hesitation problem, yes the TSB was issued in aim of rectifying it and no, they are not sure how or if they ever will fix it.

While I was thankful he was straight-forward about it, his admission made me even more upset about this situation. The reason is, Toyota knowingly sold me this car, and many more like it to others all over the US and Canada, with this hesitation issue in existence and has now taken the stance the nothing is wrong with their cars (publicly).

I have written the CEO, Mr. Yuki Funo. I would advise all having this same issue to do the same, though I must warn you, he will not likely read it or even see or hear about it. None-the-less, Toyota needs to hear from everyone who is having this problem. They can not ignore everyone forever. This will come back to bite them in the butt eventually, it is just a matter of time. Unfortunately, that does not help those of us who have been screwed already.

For those interested, Mr. Funo's address is:

Mr. Yuki Funo
    Toyota Motor Sales
    19001 SW AVE
    Torrance, California 90501

And once again, if you have not done so and your Camry still has a hesitation issue, please fill a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You may do so by one of the following methods:

• By Phone: 1-888-327-4236
    • Via the Web: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Thanks for listening to my rant. I hope we can get this issue resolved soon. It is stressing me and my family out……..
  • sftonmeistersftonmeister Member Posts: 2
    Too much bass from the JBL 6-CD Radio. Even with the tone control at -5 for Bass, the door panels and dash vibrate and buzz. Is mine the only one?
    hey ken74, can I assume that you had the TSB EG056-06 applied and it failed to solve the 'hesitation' issues?
    ken74, do you have another toyota dealership in your area? perhaps you can just lay it on the line for them there. tell them dealership1 doesn't want to acknowlege the situation exists, that you've had the TSB applied (drjames has a valid question - it is not clear from your post if it was performed) that the regional rep just looked at your vehicle (what region are you in)? that guy should loose his job if you ask me.

ask dealership2 if they are willing to try a few things on behalf of you and your family's safety.

you're suggestion to write the NHTSA is probably better than writing soley to Mr. Yuki Funo. unfortunately, you can't be sure the CEO of any corportation these days is going to personally receive your mail message and then if so, be in a position to do anything for a specific end-customer or population of brand loyal consumers, no matter how customer-centric or quality-focused their reputation.

however, sending a copy of the NHTSA communication you submit to the government to his office address is a good idea.

remember to take the high-road, even if you and other's like you are being treated poorly, that your intellegence, honesty, loyalty and safety is being disregarded by such a respected company and their dealership network.
  • 100carlos100100carlos100 Member Posts: 13
    ken74, I had similar situation with my Toyota. New TSB didn't help much so I had regional rep look at the car but after driving for 2 min he couldn't duplicate the problem... Believe it or not my car after about 500 miles finally started responding normally. There's still a little choking and jerking when the engine is cold but it's nothing comparing to what it was before.
    Give it a little more time, maybe it will help.
    Thanks.
  • sftonmeistersftonmeister Member Posts: 2
    Too much bass from the JBL 6-CD Radio. Even with the tone control at -5 for Bass, the door panels and dash vibrate and buzz. Is mine the only one?
  • patcof2patcof2 Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone found out any response's from TMUSA? I still find the issue with my 4 cyl tranny problem unresolved even after the TSB. Dealer offered a trade in, but on what?, another one. No thanks. Now what? Feel very stuck with a car I consider unsafe due to lack of drivablity. If I trade to another brand of car, will lose money. Toyota needs to provide some answer. Any luck from anybody? Filed complaint with NHTSA.
    If the dealer is offering you an swap for a new one, why not take it? If they're not asking for any more money, why not take the chance? Most I4 5As have been excellent..... what's the worse thing that could happen... same problems now... but unlikely.
    Though you may not want to hear this, I have been up the Toyota corporate chain and back down again. The bottom line is, Toyota knows about the issue and either:

A. Does not know how to fix it.
    B. Does not care to fix it as it is not costing them money or tarnishing their image yet. (Statistical approach)

I have given Toyota every opportunity to rectify this situation in one way or another. What did that get me? The same thing it has gotten everyone else; a good’ole stone-walling by Toyota. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you are welcome to arbitrate the issue.

On a serious note, arbitration may be your only option depending on your state’s lemon law (if it has one). Of course you can just deal with it or trade out of the car. You will lose money with the latter option. Trust me, I just found that out the hard way.

Lastly, there are a few rumors of Class Action floating around based on the idea that Toyota sold these vehicles with the knowledge of the hesitation issue. However, I have not seen anything in writing as of yet. (i.e. Blogs, forums, articles, etc…..) Canada maybe?

As I stated before, I found out first hand that you will most likely lose money on your Camry if you trade it. But, I am much happier now without the stress of this whole ordeal. I do intend, however, to continue to research the issue when I have time.

Good luck. Sorry to hear you have become yet another “statistic” in Toyota’s eyes.
    Thanks for the reply.

In Short, yes, I have many other dealers in the area. However, (I may be wrong assuming this) based on what I have seen in my research of cases around the nation and Canada, it would have made no difference. Even if I took it to another dealer and they did miraculously find the problem, there is no fix/resolution for the issue. It would be a waste of time and potentially addition stress.

As for the TSB, yes it was applied. It did not work.

As for the regional rep, I am not sure I feel he should be fired, however he should be at least reprimanded for the lack of professionalism (as should several others). However, I do not believe that could ever happen as I strongly feel the reps are pretty much told what to say/how to approach this increasingly sensitive issue.

In regard to the letter to the CEO, you are of the same mindset as that of my own. The CEO will realistically never see the letter(s), but it can not hurt anything and may eventually prompt Toyota to do something.

Moreover, consultation the NHTSA is indeed the strongest medium available at this time.

As for my family and I, safety is the utmost issue involved here. Therefore, I have opted to trade the car and take the hit in trade deficit. Ouch... Bitter sweet.....
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    One cannot wonder why, if the problem is as widespread or severe as many on this board are experiencing, why hasn't a class action lawsuit been filed?

I asked this not to provoke anyone, but out of knowledge that class action lawsuits are filed quite easily these days, often over minor issues, and of course attorneys love to target companies with deep pockets. Pockets don't get much deeper than Toyota's.

Meanwhile, Camry production is maxed out, auto reviewers and consumer satisfaction monitors continue to sing praises, etc.

BTW, the own a hybrid Camry that, fortunately, has a different transmission. Good luck to all.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Copy/notify Consumer Reports magazine editors (David Champion in perticular) on any complaints or other types of written communications you have with Toyota and NHTSA. They are becoming aware of these growing Toyota quality issues, and need to be kept aware.
    the problem need not be widespread... if you have the problem vehicle, that is all that matters to you and your family. it amazes me that there are people that doubt you have a problem, merely because they do not.

good for them. i believe they have a properly operating vehicle. why should we doubt them?

anyway, in your position, if i felt i exhausted all avenues - i would take the fiscal hit also.

there is absolutely no amount of hesitation which is acceptable in any vehicle i drive or my wife drives, or that carry our most precious children. i wouldn't own it, rent it, or even give it away to someone i cared about.

it would have little to no value to me.

i *DO* suggest giving another dealership a shot; maybe there are some dealerships out there that will go the extra mile to see to it that the product they sell and service works properly, and if not, to take the issue up with the manufacturer to do right by the consumer.

me? i wouldn't consider my vehicle completely experimented with unless the following had been done by the dealership (not necessarily in this order): TSB applied, transmission valve body then transmission was replaced, the ECU/TCM was replaced, the throttle body assembly replaced, and last but definitely not least, the accelerator pedal assembly replaced.

practically, i know it is unrealistic to allow for all this experimentation even if they were willing to do it.

good luck to you.

p.s. if this wasn't a widespread issue or if there were no issue at all, then a self-respecting dealership and / or the manufacturer would just give you another vehicle to replace the defective one which they couldn't fix, right?
    I don't believe I have a herniated disk at all. There is no pain in the foot or the lower back. It is a burning sensation from the outside of my leg traveling up through the knee and up into the hip area. I don't know if that's where the sciatic nerve is located (I'm not in the medical profession). It was so bad driving home from work one day that I cried. The next day I went to urgent care. They sent me for an ultrasound to see if it was a blood clot and also an x-ray of the knee. Two days later I was walking up the steps at home and my leg gave out due to the pain and I went down. It took me about 15 minutes to get to the phone and call my husband to take me to the doctor. Since, I've had a MRI and arthoscopic surgery as I tore the meniscus when my leg gave out. I refuse to drive the car at this point.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Nohting wrong with this car... just sell it or trade it in and move on.
  • camryfan1camryfan1 Member Posts: 17
    Camry hesitation complaints are common in this and other forums. The complaints have also spread to the Lexus and Scion brands. Immediately after a recent hesitation complaint on a 2007 Scion tc the forum was changed to a "read-only" format.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you care to browse around the internet you will find throttle lag complaints about VW and Ford FWD automatic transaxle vehicles with virtually the same complaints.
    In the early days of emission control systems, throttle lag was common across most car brands. And in recent years, most rental cars I've driven have occasionally exhibited poor throttle response in some driving situations.

But, Toyota is doing far too much transmission work for this to be nothing more than that.

To date, though, I know of no car accidents that have been blamed on the problem. If/when that happens, the press will quickly spread the word. That auto reviwers and consumer rating groups haven't picked up on the problem suggests it isn't widespread.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    While it is likely that a goodly number of accidents have already occurred due to the throttle lag symptom how will it be written up?
    >>>While it is likely that a goodly number of accidents have already occurred . .

Do you have a basis for that statement other than personal opinion?

How will it be written up? Just like any other safety-related auto defect has been written up in the past. The Ford Explorer/Firestone tire blowouts, "unintended" acceleration problem of Audis, and this one from just a few days ago:

"DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group is recalling 127,928 Chrysler Pacificas from the 2005-2006 model years. The crossover vehicles have fuel pump modules and powertrain control module software that may allow the engine to stall under certain conditions, causing a crash to occur without warning."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=consumer&id=4774342
    respectfully, i don't agree.

a vehicle that hesitates when making a left-hand turn: more than likely the person is going to be cited for crossing against oncomming traffic. the WHY isn't likely to be recorded.

a vehicle that hesitates when changing lanes, and someone is hit from behind? most likely written up as a vehicle following too closely from behind.

a vehicle failing to accelerate adequately to speed when making the highway on-ramp merge? more likely to be written up as vehicles merging with too large a speed difference.

i suspect very few if any hesitation related accidents would be written up with that sort of specificity and completeness such that it was searchable in some national database.

when was the last time you were in an accident? often the people are at a loss to accurately remember exactly what preceeded the event.

and if you're in the middle of the intersection, or at the side of the road with heavy traffic, you think the police officer is going to be looking for that sort of minucia / detail?
    Are you saying that if you were in an accident because your car stalled while making a turn that you would then say nothing about the car's malfunction? I doubt it.

Recalls happen because people report problems. They report them to a police officer investigating an accident, who dutifully includes it in his report, they include it on claims forms filed with their insurance company, and then some file complaints with NHTSA.

Soon, if the problem isn't isolated, the numbers add up and people pay attention.

Here's a summary of defect petition submitted to NHTSA (all caps in original):

A DEFECT PETITION WAS RECEIVED 8/24/2006 BY THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI) REQUESTING AN INVESTIGATION OF MODEL YEAR (MY) 2002 - 2006 TOYOTA CAMRY AND CAMRY SOLARA VEHICLES FOR INCIDENTS RELATING TO VEHICLE SURGING. THE PETITIONER OWNS A MY 2006 CAMRY AND PREVIOUSLY OWNED A MY 2003 CAMRY. HE ALLEGES THAT BOTH VEHICLES EXHIBITED "ENGINE SURGING" WHICH HE DESCRIBED AS A SHORT DURATION (1 TO 2 SECOND) INCREASE IN ENGINE SPEED OCCURRING WHILE THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS NOT DEPRESSED. FOR THE MY 2006 VEHICLE, THE PETITIONER ESTIMATES 6 TO 8 SURGE INCIDENTS, OF VARYING MAGNITUDE, OCCURRED OVER THE COURSE OF 10,000 MILES AND NEARLY 7 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP. ALTHOUGH THE PETITIONER REPORTS THAT THE BRAKE SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS BEEN EFFECTIVE AT CONTROLLING AND OVERCOMING THE ENGINE SURGE HE HAS CONCERN FOR CRASH REPORTS FILED WITH THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY ADMINISTRATION ALLEGING UNCONTROLLED SURGING TO A HIGH SPEED AND IN SOME CASES WITH THE BRAKES APPLIED. ODI WILL EVALUATE THE PETITION FOR A GRANT OR DENY DECISION.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsummary.cfm?inv_id=11176- &type=VEHICLE&typenum=1&cmpt_id=294&prod_id=207851&make=TOYOTA&model=CAMRY SOLARA&model_yr=2006
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Your post is complete B.S. Sorry but you are passing your subjective opinion as facts without any proof whatsoever. It is well known that the first thing a when an accident occurs is the cause of it being recorded by the officer at the scene. If the hesitation in the transmission was a prime cause of the accident it would have been recorded. There is no way something like this could be kept under wrap for such a long time.
    Much agreed motownusa and Icz, I don't know what user777 would do, but if I were involved in a MVC because my car broke down? I'd be fighting the charges with lawyers and letting the police know what happened.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Isn't the hesitation complaint mainly from users switching between direct link throttles and the drive by wire system :confuse:

I've noticed it, but it has never presented the over-blown remarks I have read here.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Isn't the hesitation complaint mainly from users switching between direct link throttles and the drive by wire system

This is my own opinion as well. It is different and it may take some time to adjust to it. I've noticed it in our '04 Highlander but it's been minimal and eventually gone away.

Obviously there were some adjustments needed since Toyota has published several TSB's in order to improve the performance. I can understand the frustration but I've not been able to encounter any of the most serious complaints.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I'm still not convinced drive-by-wire has anything to do with this issue. I notice absolutely NO difference between my '98 Frontier (with mechanical linkage) and my two late-model Camrys ('04 and '05 with electronic throttle).

Regarding the possibility of crashes and whether the car is to blame for hesitating, the whole police/traffic court/insurance system is geared toward finding the driver at fault (by violating some traffic law), not the car. This has been true for decades, if not since the beginning of the auto age. Only in the most egregious cases is mechanical failure brought into the equation.

With regard to the left turn scenario across oncoming traffic, I'm reminded of a line from a driver's ed book years ago: "It's not a question of whether you can make it, but rather can you afford NOT to make it?"
  • ricardoheadricardohead Member Posts: 48
    I'm seriously considering an SE V6 (despite the ugly nose on the car but at least the SE has the nice grill) but now I think I will test drive it again - this time quite a bit harder.

I drove it once and noticed the annoying engine-braking thing, but since I would personally prefer a 6-speed stick I found myself popping it out of gear to neutral when I would take the foot off the gas. Just a habit about toying with the thing, I guess. Might get annoying over the long haul.

The other problems bother me a bit more. I need to remember that when my parents visit they will likely use this car. They need something predictable. This thread is going to have me looking at the Milan Premier and the Aura XR a little harder. I actually like the Aura but I can't stand the "no-haggle" nonsense. Not haggling is for wimps IMHO and if you don't wanna haggle you can just pay sticker on any car. Whattah concept. The Milan is cool save the crappy tranny and the lower mileage.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your woes. You are having an impact on potential customers. :shades:
    I have driven many vehicles with this technology, and yes, there may be some lag, (theoretically in nanoseconds) however, it is typically consistent/predictable and easy to adapt to. It is a whole different ball of wax when at one intersection the vehicle takes off and the next, under the same circumstances, it hesitates severely, then applies power all at once. (enough to chirp the tires).

(The next statement is not directed at anyone in particular, it just bugs me that some people seem to doubt the validity of this issue/complaint.)

Furthermore, if the issue was not severe (for some) why would people be trading in their new 07 Camrys already? Myself being one of them. I am not made of money, therefore I am certainly not going to trade in a car and lose money unless there is a damn good reason. My reason was safety.

One can speculate all day long as to why it does it, whether or not it is a problem, etc, etc, etc…. The bottom line is this: if the vehicle hesitates at a critical moment, it can cost innocent people their lives. That is unacceptable and a shame on Toyota or any other auto maker who turns the blind eye until it becomes a negative impact on their profits.
    210delray,
    you write:
    the whole police/traffic court/insurance system is geared toward finding the driver at fault (by violating some traffic law), not the car.

yes - that's a good point. thanks for making it.

having been in a few accidents over the years, and having read the police report(s) following the description(s) / affidavits(s) i made, i hold by my assertion about what is typically recorded, and also what is presentable in court re: fault, and can do so without hesitation. ;)

now, if the accident involved the unfortunate death or significant disability of an individual or individuals, then the level of investigation and description would be to a different standard and level of detail, but even then i assert this information would most likely be passed over, and further not communicated to relevant agencies for assimilation and dissemination.
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    Ken74,
    Your comments bring back memories of when my 07 Camry used to hesitate while I owned it. I have since traded my 07 4cyl LE today for an 05 Camry SE V6 with absolutely no hesitation. I have never owned a vehicle where I had to constantly ponder over whether or not it was going to hesitate. Having to worry about this while driving in my opinion was just not worth the hassle. Even after having the TSB done to update the shift points, I did not notice a difference. So, I did what I felt I had to do and now I'm much happier minus losing some money. Another thing I did not like with my 07 Camry was the engine braking technology. This was the first vehicle I've owned that has been designed this way and personally, I do not care for it because it always seems like the car is downshifting when taking your foot off the gas which constantly bothers me. To those who are experiencing these hesitation issues, I really hope Toyota gets a handle on this and resolves these problems. I guess the only thing one can do is sell, trade out, or wait for Toyota to push out a permanent fix.
  • silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    07 Camry - XLE v6 - 250 mile report since new replacement tranny.

In day to day regular driving most of it seems well. No engine flare and no hard transmission engagement. Reverse engages when I need it to engage. Have not pushed the car to test the hesitation issue. As soon as the snow clears in a couple of days, I'll try it. So basically it drives very well for the most part.

Verdict: 75 percent satisfaction.

25 percent dis-satisfaction due to engine-braking, braking by itself and slipping tranny in what seems to be 1st gear.

The engine braking in this Camry is NOT something I'll get used to. It feels very unnatural and unholy. And it works inconsistently. About 70% of the time when I take foot of accelerator around town and car drops speed like it was dragging a boat anchor. Then usually in about 5 to 10 seconds it decides to ditch anchor and you feel like you were squirted forwarded out of a tube. The next block I accelerate to the same previous speed and lift foot of the gas and the car decides to glide till the cows come home.

I can discern no pattern to this behavior as to when it will and when it won’t, except it does it more often than not.

Secondly, when I apply brakes and then lift foot off the brake pedal - it continues to brake by it's self for a few more seconds and then disengages the braking, again creating that squirting or shooting forward feeling that a few members have noted.

Some Honda drivers (in this forum) and at my work have said that their automatic Accords and Civics also have engine braking. I have not driven those models therefore I cannot compare my Camry’s braking profile to those cars. However, the Camry behavior feels unnatural and jerky in engaging and letting go.

Finally, when first moving out, I can tell the transmission still slips (engine revs and stays at 1500 rpm) until it shifts up and then all seems well.

So, happy with new transmission? Mostly. But the 25% dissatisfaction with this braking and slipping is like a burr under the saddle. It mentally chafes me every time I get into the car.

Toyota - you really still need to work on this area.

Any buyers in this forum? I paid $US29.6K
  • jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    While it is likely that a goodly number of accidents have already occurred due to the throttle lag symptom how will it be written up? I agree with you wwest. I see you have arroused the Toyota can do no wrong folks in this forum. Ignore them, maybe they can be deprogrammed later. The attached news clipping also agrees with you. I had the TSB applied to my 2007 Camry LE after waiting 7 months without ANY word from Toyota. (Mar. to Sept. 06) The TSB really did improve my delay problem but not completely. The accident potential I face is looking at the instruments waiting for a delay instead of looking at the road. If auto ratings are gleaned from maintenance records from the dealer than the true facts will never be revealed. Toyota will not talk about or write about transmission problems.This is true all the way up or down the chain of command. When I had my TSB performed at the dealer I actually had to tell the tech. what to write. The corrective action taken was written computer reprogrammed. If nothing was wrong with the transmission why issue a TSB? I understand there will be a big recall for the problem in Jan. 2007. The biggest gripe I have with Toyota is there silence and complete lack of concern for their customers. That is the main reason I will never purchase another Toyota.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06214/710304-185.stm
    Some Honda drivers (in this forum) and at my work have said that their automatic Accords and Civics also have engine braking. I have not driven those models therefore I cannot compare my Camry’s braking profile to those cars. However, the Camry behavior feels unnatural and jerky in engaging and letting go.

you should ask to drive their vehicles. perhaps something is not completely right with their reprogramming effort.

our honda accord (4spd AT) and honda odyssey (5spd AT) downshift and have grade-logic but my wife and i feel it is all done quite competently and naturally - us both comming from previous decades of ownership and operation of exclusively manual transmission vehicles.

every once in a while, there appears to be a less than subtle downshift, but it is quite rare.
  • wclarkjr1wclarkjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I was looking to buy a 2005-2007 Accord last week. Before I did that I wanted to look at the 2007 Camry. I loved the car and the prices. I had planned on getting either a 4 or 6 banger LE at the end of this month.

After reading the posts...I think the "Big" concerns are TSB, breaking, and hesitation.
    #1 what is TSB?
    #2 Are there any other big concerns? Not concerned about radio or glove box mess.
    #3 Are there fixes for the above problems?
    #4 SHould I buy??
  • ccostableccostable Member Posts: 55
    jetjockg, how could that be that Toyota left you in the dark for 7 months. The following is a quote from the article you posted. "We see concerns, either externally or internally, and we address them," said Bill Kwong, product communications administrator for Toyota. "We have these concerns out there and we take care of our customers. It's our way of showing that we are serous about customer satisfaction, and we want to take care of these issues before they become really big issues."
    Good questions wclarkjr1, so your answers are... a TSB means Technical Service Bulletin, and is exactly that. They are sent out by the auto manufacturer (Honda, Toyota, GM...) to service centres to resolve and address problems that their engineers have determined via internal or customer notification. No, the biggest concerns have been the Tranny... however, I am unaware of any NEW (late build) Camrys (I4 or V6) that have complained. As for fixes? Again, I don't know of any NEW Camrys that have any issues. Their was a TSB for the 5 speed tranny that has been very successful ( a few continue to complain) and some TSBs for the 6 Speed, it would seem that most of those who initially complained continue to do so.

Should you buy? I'd suggest you ask owners of these cars that you will surely see everyday. My opinion is a definate yes, but others here will likely disagree.
  • jetjockgjetjockg Member Posts: 80
    Saying and doing are two different things. My dealer said Toyotas drove that way and told me to tell the regional rep. The rep told me to call Toyota customer care. When I called the Customer care number a rude lady said she never heard of a hesitation problem and told me that was all she could do for me. When I asked to talk to her supervisor she said she was the supervisor. I called back two or three other times and got different people but when I asked to talk to my person they would say she was here but was busy. After about six months I found out on this forum that a TSB was out to correct the hesitation problem I e-mailed Toyota Customer Care and asked them how could a TSB be out when they said they never heard of the problem? The very next morning I got a telephone call from Customer Care asking if I was pleased with the TSB results. When I told them I just had the TSB performed and was not sure of the results I was accused of being a Toyota hater, whatever that is. I was told not to e-mail and that that I should use the 1-800 number which of course is the number I called where no one would talk to me. As Bill Kwong says "We have these concerns out there and we take care of our customers. It's our way of showing that we are serous about customer satisfaction, and we want to take care of these issues before they become really big issues." If that is the way Toyota takes care of their customers they are in BIG trouble.
    There are also hesitation complaints relating to the Subaru 2.5 flat -4 and 4 speed automatic transmission. Throttle lag in my dad's Legacy is worse than in the '07 rental Camrys I've had, but I would hardly call either vehicle unsafe. Its just different from the mechanical linkage.

~alpha
    It is interesting that you state you traded your 07 Camry 4-5A for an 05 Camry V6-5A, because that powertrain too, has been alleged to have hesitation issues.

~alpha