Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There is no *NCF.pdf anywhere (else) in this thread.
  • dzefdzef Member Posts: 8
    OK thanx I guess I was mistaken. The reason I was looking for that manual is that the rear seat courtesy lights (sunroof) are falling out after a days driving - I push them back in gently but next day I can see them coming down in the mirror - and I was just curious how that assembly was installed. I am initially somewhat reluctant to have the dealer look at it as I am afraid of them getting dirt/grease on the head liner/interior and messing it up worse. Dzef
  • mayrogemayroge Member Posts: 9
    Check camrymanuals.com. Note the comment there that donations are appreciated.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello, I want to share a reply a dealership told to my mothers friend who has a 07 xle V-6. She was at a stop light and her car surged forward with her just sitting at the light.
    She took it to the dealership and they told her nothing was wrong with her car and she should keep the brake pedal pushed all the way down when the air-conditioning is running, How lame is that.
    This is becoming a serious safety concern. You may already have read others who have experienced this problems. WAKE UP TOYOTA!!!
  • anindya_72anindya_72 Member Posts: 4
    Here is the Link to all the Camry TSB PDF's
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/dave12301/CarSpace/
    You will get a directory with all the TSB PDF's.

For a list of TSB's click here :
    http://www.geocities.com/dave12301/CarSpace/2007CamryTSBs.pdf
    There is a tiny shade of truth in what your mother's friend was told. As the A/C compressor cycles on and off and while the ECU is programmed to overcome the effects from this the engine's throttle opening changes accordingly.

Having a "light" foot on the brake pedal would possibly result in some forward creep.

But not to a level that anyone would refer to as surging forward.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi chuck28
    This is why I shift the transmission to neutral at a traffic light when people are walking in front of the vehicle. I have taken this "action" with all my vehicles in the past. I do not trust "computer controlled vehicles"! First, they are "man made," and that alone makes them problematic. Second, should something go wrong, and someone is injured, the manufacturer is going to blame "driver error!" They will NEVER admit that their vehicle has a operational problem. They will take a similiar position that Toyota is taking with the transmission issue.
    As an operator of a vehicle, you need to take precautions. We are living in a VERY STRANGE automotive world. (The company is always right, and the customer / consumer is always wrong!) QUESTION: ----- How many accidents on the road do you think are caused by a mechanical malfunction in a "new vehicle"?----- We will never know, because not one will bother to investigate the accident from this point of the issue. The vehicle simply ran off the road, and hit a tree! (What caused the vehicle to run off the road? Did something in the steering let go? Did the vehicle accelerate on its own? Did the steering "lock - up"? Did the vehicle loose power? ---- Did something in the suspension fail? Did the transmission down shift to a lower gear causing the vehicle to slow down abruptly, and the driver losing control?)
    Remember, "it is always the drivers fault!" It is never the fault of "poor engineering" or poor "product quality" or "poor product assembly". After a major accident, it is VERY difficult to determine whether the "ball joint" let go before the accident, or after the accident! One thing that has never been tried to my knowledge, is charging a manufacturer and a selling dealer with "manslaughter," in the case of an "automotive death" in a new vehicle that has been plagued with operational / mechanical problems. I would bet that the "automotive world" would pay close attention to this trial! When a vehicle malfunctions, (does not operated in an acceptable manner),it puts everyone in danger. If a Toyota Camry is invloved in an accident, because it could not accelerate to get into highway traffic, shouldn't this issue be part of the "legal process" of the incident? I would think so, because the product caused the accident! But this will never happen. It will be blamed on the driver of the Camry. He / She did not operate the vehicle properly.
    Best regards to all. ------ Dwyane :shades: ;) :confuse: :):(
  • rfarkerfarke Member Posts: 3
    Both of these links appear to be dead. :cry:
  • nmt001nmt001 Member Posts: 124
    Surging forward at the stop light? Now that really is another major safety concern besides hesistation. Yet another flaw of the Drive By Wire system that replaced the cable system in the 2007 Camry.

I believe the surging forward would not have happened if the transmission in the 2007 Camry were not linked to the engine through computer control. Microprocessors are not 100% reliable, coupled with problematic software, that means great potential danger.

Even the expensive and sophisticated computer at LAX crashed two times in one month lately, causing delay and chaos at the airport. Also this year, three advanced computers at the space station crashed at the same time, causing a temporary crisis until the problem was solved. How about software? Remember that the software giant Microsoft failed in the debut TV demonstration of their new software because there was a bug in the new program? How is Toyota better in coming up with problem free programs?

Some people may say the DBW system has been used extensively in the airplane industry and there seems to be no problem. They should understand that the airplanes do not use the DBW system only. They have backup cable or hydraulic systems that can take over in case the DBW malfunctions. That doesn't seem to be the case in the automobile industry.

Of course we have the ABS which uses computer control to help drivers avoid skidding. The success of the ABS attributes to two factors. 1/ It requires relatively simple programming and a simple computer chip. 2/The ABS is not indispensable in the stopping of a vehicle, so if it fails, the driver may not even notice. Contrary to some people's belief, the more expensive hence more complicated computers are,the more they are prone to malfunction instead of being more reliable. That's why the microprocessor control on my microwave oven never malfunctions but my expensive computer crashes frequently.

We have reached a point of no return in using computer technology in uncountable number of devices in everyday life. I believe the auto industry will continue to increase the use of computers in various functions of vehicles. I am not against the use of DBW. However, the auto manufacturers must spend time and effort to thoroughly test any computer controlled system crucial for safety and add backup system when necessary instead of rushing the poorly tested vehicles into the market for customers who unknowingly become guinea pigs of their new model vehicles.

Finally, I want to repeat what chuck28 says. "WAKE UP TOYOTA!!!" People's lives are at stake!!!
  • cameo41cameo41 Member Posts: 10
    What was the number of the TSB for the acceleration "hesitation?" Was there ever a TSB for the braking system?? When you step on the brake it sort of "jogs" forward before taking hold.

How about anything regarding gas mileage? My 4 cy gets under 20 around town (even down to 14) and not much over 30 on highway trips. Dealer checked it on computer - the same old standard - "Working as specified" They blamed it on my gas and where I purchased it. (I have purchased it at various places - ethanol or regular - no difference in mileage.
  • cameo41cameo41 Member Posts: 10
    I too have the surging forward at stop signs. Told car is working as designed. I went thru arbitration thru Toyota and everything in all these comments was listed. Bottom line from Toyota: Car "Working as Specified."

Now who wants to purchase a car with all these problems built in as their standard operating system!! I do note more 2007 Camrys setting in the dealer Used Car section of their lots. And they just announced over the radio the other day that Toyota has a lot of customer dis-satisfaction and are not the top vehicle it used to be. They are definitely losing ground with the buyers.
    Hi Cameo41:
    Toyota does not understand the concepts of "customer service" and "customer staisfaction"! They are ignoring this problem in the hopes that it will go away. I am sure that Toyota has the engineers to solve this issue, (if they want to solve this issue)!
    The American car companies are going to be VERY happy about this lack of "customer sensitivity" on the part of Toyota. People will purchase an Impala instead of a Camry! By their lack of cooperation, Toyota will help the American car companies get back their market share! Keep up the good work Toyota!
    Best regards. ------ Dwyane :shades: :confuse: ;):)
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    When a vehicle malfunctions, (does not operated in an acceptable manner),it puts everyone in danger.

It seems the proper way to operate a Toyota Camry is not to buy one in the first place. After all, once Toyota has your money, what do they care if the car operates properly or not? The company has obviously become smug as it basks in the huge profits it has made over the past several years and if there are a few dissatisfied customers it is obviously easier to ignore them or humor them than to admit a problem with their cars and deal with same.
    Good Morning Priggly:
    If someone is killed in an accident because the Toyota Camry did not operate in an acceptable manner, a close relative can bring a "wrongfull dealth law suit" against Toyota. This is a "lawsuit" that is filed on behalf of surviving relatives whose loved one has died as the result of someone else's negligent, reckless and / or intentional actions. I would assume that the selling / servicing dealer and the regional factory representative could also be included in this lawsuit, especially if they have hidden the information of the problem from the parent company or they have not worked with the custtomer to resolve the issue in a professional manner.
    This is a VERY serious operational problem with some of these vehicles. As I have stated in previous postings, my vehicle, for some reason, does not exhibit the symptoms of this condition. Maybe it is my driving style, or maybe I am just lucky to get a unit that does not have the problem, or maybe the problem will show up at a later date,---- but, I am following this issue with "GREAT CONCERN" as an owner of this product. My vehicle has a "top of the line" Toyota 6 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty, and should I develop this problem at a later date & mileage, I expect that Toyota will repair this condition in a professional / timely manner. Nothing less than that level of service will make me a "happy camper"!
    Best rergards to all! -------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :mad: :)
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I own a 1995 Toyota (which is excellent) but, after reading about the problems with some of the new ones, I not going to play Russian roulette and buy another one.

Thanks to all for the heads up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Come on, folks, this discussion is a place for people who are specifically having problems with their 07 Camrys. It's not a place to get into a disagreement about the merits of Impalas and it's not a place to tell American manufacturers what they ought to be doing.

Let's stick to the subject, please.
    Read message #3699 for TSB# for hesitation.
    You may find out other TSB by web search Toyota TSB.
    It's advisable to download the TSB document and show it to the dealership when you request service related to the TSB.
  • bohica223bohica223 Member Posts: 14
    Ok here is the latest update on my battle with Toyota. Still no resolution on the car and all its problems but I do have an update on one of the things I'm doing about it. After speaking with a couple of TV stations and programs a couple are interested in airing a report on the 07 Camry. Toyotas stance when informed of all the problems with the car stated here was, "Its hearsay" "It cant be verified." You cant produce proof that others are having these problems." Well after speaking with a few television reps, they suggested I get copies of the service reciepts from others in here with the same problems getting the same run around. How about it people..anyone interested in taking this further and letting Toyota and the public know that we do actually talk amongst ourselves? If anyone is interested I'll give them my address and they can send me copies of their service reports and Toyotas stand on the problems. (With personal info such as address and phone blacked out of course). I'm going ahead with this no matter what but copies of other peoples service reports pretty much eliminates the hearsay defense. I'll be more than happy to supply copies of my reports to anyone who wished them as well.
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    I am more than willing to send you my service record. It basically shows that I complained of a shift flare when the car had about 1000 miles on it, they confirmed it, ordered me a new tranny and installed it a couple of week later.

Now, I am at 4000 miles and the shift flare is back but I haven't brought it back to the dealer because I don't want to get the run around and it is hard to duplicate the flare this time (it was easy the first time). Would my service record still help? If so, please email me your name and address. I am getting ready to trade my car in once I get the Title from the credit union.
  • camry154camry154 Member Posts: 5
    I would be more than happy to provide all the information to bring Toyota to their senses but i have a different problem. But i have a suggestion for you. I actually video recorded the fault in my car and its on a CD. So no one can dispute this problem. I am waiting for the correct time to expose TOYOTA delar and if possible the TOYOTA if they are funny with me. You can also try recording your problem in that way no one can say its hear say when you have proof.
    If you want more problematic 2007 Camry owners to provide you with proof about the problems, you may:
    1/ Sign in this website
    2/Search with key words such as flare, transmission, lag, hesitation, TSB, service, report, problem, etc., and find members who may help in your cause.
    3/Click on the message # to open the message.
    4/Click the member's user name to see the email address.(the email addresses won't show up when a member wants to keep it private.)
    5/ Send those members a pasted email to tell them you have found some TV stations and programs interested in airing a report on the 07 Camry and ask them if they would email you copies of service report and/or video evidence of their problems.
    Teambo I'd love to send you my address via email but your email is private so I cant do that. I've set up a temp email that you can contact me with. Its camryflare@hotmail.com.
    Camry154 I'd love to send you my address via email but your email is private so I cant do that. I've set up a temp email that you can contact me with. Its camryflare@hotmail.com. About your idea of video taping the problem..I did that..burned it to both Cd and DVD but Toyota was not interested in viewing it. Kept telling me that the flare was characteristic of this transmission. I am in the process of sending the CD's to the arbitration commitee, the Nj lemon law board, the NHTSA and am also making copies to hand out to people interested in buying a new Camry. I'm running ads in the local papers here in the auto section offering these video documentations and Toyotas responses.
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    Bohica223, sorry about that...didn't realize my email was private. I just sent an email to camryflare@hotmail.com and requested your address.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    And all the posts on the NHTSA's web-site? With the VIN#s? Hearsay? Ha.
    Yup, thats what they said...they said because we cant get us all together for a meeting and have no way of proving the complaints are real and not just posted by people who are making it up that its hearsay...thats their stance...so thats why I'm trying to get us all together in one forum or another..be it copies of service reports...a news story..or even some of us banding together in areas local to us..I'm even willing to travel a bit if need be to rectify this situation
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'd suspect that anybody who has had this problem and it's still not resolved by Toyota, would be willing to give name, address, and VIN number to a reporter who was trying to validate whether they were authentic.

Why don't you suggest that the reporter get a carspace id (which by default gives them a carspace email), and he/she can collect the info directly from members who have posted and still have issues.
    if you read the posts on the NHTSA website, you'll see a fair number of them have been "taken" by a live human being. because VINs are provided, it's not speculative, it's real.

also, toyota claims "functioning as design", and "they all do that" or "cannot replicate".

if that's the case, then why don't *all* of the vehicles exhibit the behavior?

none of it passes even a sincerity test does it?
    Under the correct, unique, circumstances ALL DBW Toyota FWD vehicles will exhibit these symptoms. Find and read the wording of the TSB Toyota issued in the spring of 2003 to cover the 2003 Camry.

It spells out, very explicitly, three of the circumstances wherein owners can expect, or not, to encounter this symptom.
    There have been a number of TSBs. They don't apply to all vehicles do they?

Can you provide me a link?

I believe some people have to work pretty hard to get their vehicles to stumble, and others (not because of the way they drive) are just plain unlucky.

Heck my '02 Accord which shifts in a pretty predictable manner can experience a hard shift from time to time. Yeah, I could probably figure out the exact circumstances to replicate, but we all know this ISN'T what the owners are facing.
  • causeyfamilycauseyfamily Member Posts: 4
    re our V6 Camry ...send me your address & I will mail you our service records..we just ended our arbitration with Toyota & received their Plantinum warranty & $300 bucks(?)..Nita
  • joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    hi bohica223, question; what is the Platinum Warranty?
  • bborchertbborchert Member Posts: 11
    Ok - please do not chastize me if I am in the wrong place- just point me. as with most people- having trouble with a new car gets you pretty heated up so....

We have had a Camry before (early to mid 90's model and we own a Toyota Tacoma 2002 (4 dr) and camry (2007) now. The camry has some problems that were basically laughed at today by the dealer.

We bought it new and paid a mint because it was the only one like it around- it is the exact same car as in the commercials they are now playing with the 2 guys talking- looks just like a pace car for NASCAR. Anyway...

The car has a HUGE hesitation when you go anywhere. If I am at a standstill (light or stop sign) and press on the gas there is a good 3-4 sec lag time between pressing and movement. If I am moving the hestitation is less- maybe 2-3 sec) but it is there. It has gotten us in some sticky situations pulling out thinking there is plenty of time and then watching the whites of the other drivers eyes... They said it was some NEW thing they designed...

The other thing is MPG. The sticker said 26 and 33 and we barely get 21 hwy. The dealer said that the sticker was just an estimate and getting 21-22 was great now days. We told him our other camry got great gas miles and our Truck gets exactly what the sticker said.

My husband just g=kind of petered out arguing but I kept on- and finally he said that if i brought it back tomorrow (they had it all day today) he would have something put on it (initials starts with an E - when I asked him to repeat it he walked off) that it was experimental...

Hs anyone has these problems- is there anything I can do? i am so angry. We got this car when I did NOT want it. They talked me into it- I wanted to by this used Avalon but I made the comment that this one was really nice looking and all the sudden the Avalon had all these "problems". Please help me out here- I want to scream but be an educated screamer!
    Thanks
    Bonnie
    Is this an I4 (4 cylinder engine), or V6 (6 cylinder engine), when was it made (look at the drivers door jamb for manufactured date), and have you had any TSB (technical service bulletins) performed on it?

There are TSB's previously issued for hesitation problems.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello Bonnie, you are not the only on ewith these problems and I can share in your frustration. I have a 07 camry v-6 I think yours must be the v-4 due to the gas milage the sticker says. I agree with you that this is the first car that I have had that didn't live up to the MPG on the sticker.
    There is a TSB which is a bulliten that is given to dealers that has info to correct a problem if a consumer complains. I believe there is one for your car to correct the hesitation issue. You may one to study the recent post on this site going back the last couple of monthes or so and you will gather some info on what to do.
    This is an injustice and Toyota is falling short of their commitment to consumers. You should also call the 1800 line to report your problems. Be safe!
    I have the 4 cyl. After posting I did about 3 more hrs research and i found the TSB information. I called the dealer and that is what they are going to do this morning BUT they said they have never heard of this complaint before and that this TSB is experimental and the first they have done of it. I find that all BS. After reading on line I see that this hesitation is a common problem with Camry's. I also read that just a couple of people- but still there are some- found that in addition to the hestitation that this TSB also helped with the gas mls.

I find it hard to believe, in a major city- a capital (Raleigh) - that they have not had the complaint before. They are a pretty BIG dealer- not the biggest but up. We have 4 Toyota dealers within a 10 ml radius and then in DUrham there are 2 more so I know that this has happened before.

Thanks for all your help- I am hoping that this fix will actually fix the car. i will not drive it if it doesn't. It just bothers me. I read somewhere that someone said just deal with it. You bought a sedan not a sports car- but it is not even speed. It is the fact that you press on the gas and nothing happens. THat is not safe. Someone said this was a saftey issue for Toyota- that is why they made the car this way- for saftey purposes. i would challenge that it is the opposite- it is actually unsafe.

Anyway- thanks!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You're in the right place - welcome to CarSpace! :)

You might want to take some time to browse through the previous postings here and also in the 2007 Camry Transmission discussion. The various features on the gray bar just above (and just below) the message list will help you do that.

Good luck.
    bborchert,

Which dealership did you go to. I'm in Ral as well, and Anderson is well aware of TSB's...if that is where you went.
    the Toyota Plantinum warranty is complete bumper to bumper coverage (not including wear & tear stuff like tires ie normal replacement stuff) for 100,000 miles or 7 years whichever comes first...the cost/value of it is $1,500 I was told. Ours will not take effect till our first service.
    I just drove the car for the first time since the dealer had it. The hesitation is almost gone- what a difference. I am pretty satisfied with it. I wish it were all gone. it will never drive normal in my opinion- but this is close and is satisfactory. When you pay that much for a vehicle- actually scratch that- any car is expensive now days. When you put out hard earned money for a car you expect to have the car, at the least, drive without scaring the heck out of you. now the car does that.

Thank you to EVERYONE for helping me. I went to Leith Toyota here in raleigh- not Anderson and will never go there again. They still claim that they have never done this update to anyone before that Toyota claims that this update is experimental and is not proven to fix anything and that they have NEVER had a hesitation complaint.
    That is a lie- I have learned on the web that several people have complained to that dealer specifically!! So- I do not ever have a need to go there again. If they would have at least said that they had heard that complaint I would have some trust.

I am a woman- give me a break :-) Anyway- thanks to all. We are charting the milage to see if this update helped that. Some people that have emailed me have said it had an impact on that as well.
    what did the dealer do? just curious. When we told our dealer we had "video" of the problem they called in a master tech from corporate (which is here near us in California). To get the best remedy you have to open a "case" with Toyota Motor Sales* USA. When you call interestingly enough they admit the problem (ie press "1" for the Camry) and give you the update on the latest remedy. The number to call is (800) 331-4331..press 1 , then 4...then "0" talk to a rep and open a "complaint file" with Toyota which puts your car under corporate oversee & the dealers must respond to them. We worked with Toyota corporate (they sent master technicians more than twice to run diagnostics) thru our 4+plus service visits which resulted in a whole new transmission & our eventual arbitration under the lemon law. Hope this helps.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I don't normally comment on this hesitation issue, because I have older Camrys that don't have the problem, even though they have the same basic 4-cylinder engine and the newer one (a 2005) has the same 5-speed automatic. This means I'm not really going to be of much help not having experienced the problem myself.

But I'm glad your problem was largely resolved, and it shows that all dealers are not at all alike, even for the same make (Toyota in this case). It is not at all unusual for a bad service dept. to claim they've never seen this before, or this is normal, etc.: oldest lines in the book. Take your business elsewhere, which in your case, you did!
    They did an "experimental" update. People here told me about it- it is the ECM or some initials like that. Basically they updated the program on the computer I believe. It really did work
    bborchert,

You obviously figured out that it is not 'experimental'. I don't go to Leith anymore, even though they are closer to my house. I've found them consistently higher priced when buying, with inferior service on the backend....just my own personal experiences.

Try Fred Anderson next service visit, might be pleasantly surprised.
    You are so right- they are less than a ml away so we took the bait. We got our truck from Durham...
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    New TSB replaces the old EG-056-06 which is now obsolete.
    for all 2007 camrys (2AZ-FE) manual and automatic transmissions.

Download the new TSB EG036-07 in PDF

http://rapidshare.com/files/52160365/EG036-037.pdf.html
    Congratulations for having the hesitation problem fixed.
    Let's not forget that most likely there are still 2007 Camry owners out there experiencing the same problem and told by some irresponsible dealerships that it is normal but have no clue how to get help.
    I wonder if all Toyota dealerships lie to customers that the hesitation is normal. If some tell the truth and being helpful to the customers but the others lie about it to avoid providing service, Toyota Headquarter should do something about it.
  • jack53jack53 Member Posts: 8
    Cool, finally they come out the TSB that apply for all 2AZ-FE models

my MPG is not so good for the LE V4. I only get avg between 24-25mpg mostly highway. i expected more and the reason i bought this car because of their MPG thing.
    aslo i got hestitation problem once in awhile. i did bring my car to the dealer but they could replicate it and the previous TSB don't cover my VIN so they didn't do anything to my car

I read some posts awhile back that their mileage get worst after apply the TSB.
    I'm afraid that it happen to me. should i apply this TSB or should I not?

anyone see improvement in their mileage, if so how much improve do you get?

thanks
  • ryan99ryan99 Member Posts: 46
    Hi dellray, I was wondering if you ever got to the bottom of the problem you had a couple of years ago with oil on the spark plug threads and electrodes of your 98 camry? I just discovered the same thing on my 99 4 cyl with 160,000 miles. Same burn pattern on the porcelin with a normal wear pattern plug, plus that oil on all four plugs...strange
  • mbruckermbrucker Member Posts: 2
    I've been disappointed with the mileage, too. Not too long ago I got the earlier transmission software update. It seemed to improve mileage a bit. I'm hoping that the newer update that seems to have come out will improve it some more... Mark.