Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    They should be able to remove the complete dask as one unit as this is the way they are installed. If so it shouldn't be a big deal.
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi New Yorker:
    Yes, I had TSB applied last spring and this winter, the rattle around the speakers has disappeared.
    It is primarily the speakers and defroster vent that is "taped" to not squeek.
    Have a great day;
  • nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info... so you brought the car back twice to fix the noise? My biggest concern is when they take the dashboard apart to fix the noise I hear now, I'm just afraid that this will open a bigger can of worms by touching all that is needed to get to this problem... but if it was a positive experience for you... I will trust this should fix the issue and that all the rest of the parts will remain tight.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Maybe it's just me, but I really wouldn't want the dealer techs removing my entire dash! I'd think that might create more problems than it would solve. Plus what about leaving grease on the seats, scratches on the plastic, and who knows what else? Call me paranoid.
  • nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks... if that is the case... where the dash is one big unit that would cut down on the things that would get disturbed... I just have a huge fear that by the dealer taking apart everything that needs to be removed to install the fix kits (tape etc) I just don't want to solve this noise problem and then have lots of other noises arise because things were touched. I guess if I read enough people have had the fix down and they had a good experience, that would be good enough for me... because the noise right now is driving me crazy.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Yes, get the latest hesitation TSB.

I don't know when your car was manufactured and what release your computer is currently running, but this makes my early model year manufactured car run fantastically smooth. I think it's up to aournd 23K now the last time I looked, and a great car.
  • foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    Hesitation - Cruise control downshifting - dash board noise - noise in the roof area Piston slap noise when cold Toyota not caring about there customer

I traded my 2007 Camry SE in for a 2008 Accord EX -L today
    lost a lot of cash but the aggravation is gone.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I traded my 2007 Camry SE in for a 2008 Accord EX -L today
    lost a lot of cash but the aggravation is gone.

Can you tell us the number you got? Accord - trade = Diff. + TTL...just curious b/c '09 Camry is a round the corner.
    EX - listed for 25860 dealer cost is 24063 mine was discounted to 24213

I got 14650 for mine off the discouned price of 24213
    9563 difference

The camry was perfect but had 41,000 mils i bought April 06

I think i go a ok deal gald to get rid of it....
    Thanks. 14650 is a decent number w/ 41K miles and '09 is coming out in about a month or so. 41K in 21 months = that's a lot of miles. ;)

I think you got pretty good deal on the new Accord as well.
    I picked my new Accord up today The Camry is gone YEAH
    The accord is a way nicer car than the camry
  • samkhan1samkhan1 Member Posts: 7
    Did you have to go through an arbitration to get rid of your 2007camery, LE? Since Toyota can't fix the idling problem with my car and other issues we decide to go to arbitration. Can you help with the process what to look for and what tricks they might play on me? I am scared to death of that car since I heard the problems with the Air bags not deploying during an accident. I am not going to wait until an accident happen. I have kids! I want get rid of this unsafe car. Please help with the arbitration process.
  • teamtboteamtbo Member Posts: 78
    I don't have any experience with arbitration because I skipped it and went straight to a Lemon Law attorney. Toyota makes you think that you need to go to arbitration first...it is not true-at least in California.

From what I have read, the arbitrators are paid by Toyota and usually use the lemon law in your state as a guideline on if Toyota will buy back your car. So, in California, that means you need to have at least 1 or 2 repair attempts for a serious safety issue....and 3 or 4 attempts for a non safety issue. In CA, a car is also considered a lemon if it has been in the shop for more than 30 days during the warranty period.
  • booch55booch55 Member Posts: 5
    Good Luck with the Honda..I did the same thing, traded 07 Camry XLE 4 for an 08 Accord. Best move I ever made. After owning 6 Toyotas, I will not be back at the Toyota dealer when I need another vehicle.

Great thing about the Honda..step on the gas and it goes! No HESITATION!!
  • eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I cant believe that Toyota has so many issues on their supposed "Legendary reliability"
    I have the same EXACT issue. FOr me its horrible cause Iam really noise sensitive in a car. If I dont have the kids, ok I can open the windows and crank the radio but it even 'pops' just sitting at a red light. Its the heat-cold expansion- contraction of the plastic. Again reminiscient of my 97 Grand Prix. How sad.
    I can practically push on the dash and it flexes an inch or so. There are sooo many soft weak spots, I dont drive it. Wife doesn't care as much but Its my car and I want it to not squeak.
    Plus the A-Pillar cover nearly came off the other day. How frustrating this car is. :lemon:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to a more appropriate discussion. Here's the link: djm2, "Toyota Camry 2007" #5171, 17 Dec 2007 7:17 am.

Let's reserve this topic for problems and repairs. :)
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I too am still having rough shifting though they got the flares to stop but they deny doing any reflashing of my car. It just stopped after the car was in for service.
    I can't handle the dash knocking noise which gets worse as the weather gets colder. I am looking to buy a used Regal. I hate this Camry and would not recommend anyone to buy one.
    When will Toyota get it right?
    Just to cross post this other entry from SodaGuy, into this forum

V6 WaterPump Repair Procedure
  • rcn207rcn207 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 camry(automatic)with 170,000 miles. I have been experiencing engine trouble for some time now. It seems like between gears the engine revs and then the rpms shoot up and the engine clicks a bit before it finally shifts. It continues this way between all gears. I recently was trying to pass somebody, floored the gas and the car would not get beyond 60mph and the check engine light started flashing. The exhaust also smells something awful, the mileage is terrible and it idles alternately low and high. I've been to many a mechanic, spent much money and nobody can fix the thing. I was told a while ago that the o2 sensor needed replacing, but there was no need to do so, really (by the dealer)-it seems this could have had an awful effect.
  • keislkeisl Member Posts: 16
    Hi there. I have a 2007 4cyl Camry - purchased in March of 2006. There are many things I love about my car, but....

I have had more than one instance of the radio buttons doing nothing (won't turn it on, adjust volume) for several minutes, then suddenly work again. Also the outside temp gauge has reported impossibly inaccurate temps at times. Finally - several times in the past week or two - the drivers door has stuck - I go to close the door, and it bounces back. I'm hoping not to damage it doing this! Is that one an easy fix or do I really need to go to the dealer about that? Just wanted to see if others are experiencing these, and if anyone has suggestions as I'm not due to get a service for about another month, and I'm 80 miles from the nearest dealer!

Thank you very much!
  • brunofjbrunofj Member Posts: 3
    We have had the same pulling issue right then left and have to counter steer.
    ours has been in several times (6) and no one can seem to correct.
    Just wondering if you ever had yours relsoved? if so what was the fix? we have a
    2007 Camry XLE V6 with VSC and traction control. It seems to me that if this was
    a true mechanical issue it would do this all the time ours will go straight sometimes
    and then when you hit a bump then it goes off to the right and then left then straight again.
    any information would be greatly apprecieated.
    thanks
    brunofj
  • lee59lee59 Member Posts: 2
    I was disappointed with my 2007 Camry 4 cly that I purchased July 2007 in Florida,I had the following problems, Overall poor driving performance, Poor acceleration on turns, Poor acceleration when trying to make turns, Poor acceleration when trying to make fast moves,Poor acceleration on parkways when trying to enter or pass. I had 5 Toyota Camrys in the last 10 years and this one was the worst,I brought the car back to the dealer at 1500 miles and they made a computer adjustment but it did not help, I went back to the dealer at 4000 miles and they said there was nothing they could do, all the Camrys were the same,I filled out papers for the lemon law ( National Center for Dispute Settelment) and went to Arbitration and won. The car was taken back by Toyota and all my money returned, A friend of mine went thru the same process and also won,Toyota will have a major problem when people start going to arbitration.....I could not live with that car, it has major safety issues...............................
    congrats. This is the only way Toyota will ever wake up is to hit them where it hurts, the pocketbook. I think this is what has happened to GM and Ford and now they are making some of the best products out there. If they could only win back the faith of the people who got screwed years ago. I think the biggest problem with GM was their quality control. Same as Toyota is now having. There is such a demand for the cars that they just push them out the door hoping the dealer will fix any problems before the customer gets them or shortly after before the customer gets a bad taste in their mouths as you have. So what did you end up buying to replace the :lemon: ?
  • eddiecruzeddiecruz Member Posts: 18
    I'd like to know what eventually will be done to fix your vehicle. My 2007 SE V6 does the exact same thing. I was told by the dealer that it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Thats what I get for buying a car without test driving it.
    :lemon:
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    I am also facing the same problem. I bought my car in April 2006. Now after applying all the fixes(TSB) the car jerks when shifting.
    Is it too late for me to go for the Lemon Law?
    What is the process of Lemon Law?
    If Toyota wins the law whether I have to pay the lawyer?
    Please help me............ I am also from Florida.
  • lee59lee59 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I don't think its ever to late for the Lemon Law, the only problem is if you win and they take the car back it will cost you 20 cents a mile for the mileage you used. Also you have to take the car back to the dealer to correct the problem, If they say there is nothing else they can do you can start the process. If Toyota wins the arbitration there is no cost to you. I had 6000 miles on my car and it cost me $1,200.00, but they returned all the payments I made and the down payment. Hope this Information helps...............................
  • wiseoldfartwiseoldfart Member Posts: 40
    Forums like these are great tools. Through the years, I've found that most complaints on any given vehicle have proven to be honest.

I almost bought a 2007 Camry V6/6AT when the new model hit the showroom. The two V6 models I tested performed flawlessly.

Still, I decided it would be wise to wait and see if any complaints cropped up. I was concerned with the 5AT hesitation issue and wanted to be sure it was a thing of the past. It apparently isn't. Even Consumer Reports is down on the new Camry!

Oh well, it was such a promising vehicle with its plush, quiet ride and decent gas mileage with even a V6. It'll be several years of freedom from complaints on newer models before I trust Toyota's new 6AT. I'll probably be interested in something else by then if I haven't already bought it. :confuse:
    That is helpful information, thanks for posting it. The problem is that Lemon Laws are a state thing so it's difficult to tell someone exactly what applies to them without knowing where they are located and what their state's specific laws are. Here is a good discussion resource to help track down the details: Lemon Law Questions.
    Hmm, how would you know that "most complaints on any given vehicle have proven to be honest"? I'm not saying the opposite, I just can't help wondering how anyone could know that.

On the other hand, conventional wisdom does dictate that most people who are happy do not flock to complaint venues to say so, while many people who are unhappy do exactly that. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, this is a discussion designed to help those who are having problems with their 07 Camry. Sounds like you "escaped" those problems, so we're glad to hear that and how about we let us get back to the subject, 'kay? ;)
    I had my 07 Camry in yesterday for the dash squeaks and to replace the driver seat cushion foam.

The re-upholsterer did a good job but he never asked me to 'check it out prior to finishing,.
    Well the seat issue is now worse cause he added padding on the side that already felt higher. My seat feels like Iam sitting down to the right. The right side of the seat bottom feels lower and he added padding to the left side which made the difference evenworse.
    I guess I wil call them next week and explain what the issue is and ask that they fix this one more time.
    I dont have money to trade this in, Ive only had it a year.
    I know what you mean - my drivers seat feels a little more....'pushed out' on the left side as well. I just had to get used to it, as they told me they didn't notice anything, and it would cost me money to have the seat more closely... examined (taking off the upholstery, etc.)
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for information. I had 15000 miles on my car. So it will cost me $3,000.00 for the miles I have driven. If the actual price is $20,000.00 then I will get cash back as $17,000.00. It is less than the price which I get if I sell the car myself (KBB price). So what is the benefits of the Lemon Law?
    I had 15000 miles on my car. So it will cost me $3,000.00 for the miles I have driven. If the actual price is $20,000.00 then I will get cash back as $17,000.00. It is less than the price which I get if I sell the car myself (KBB price). So what is the benefits of the Lemon Law?

Well, I don't see much of the benefit also unless the car couldn't be started at all or w/ very few miles. 17K w/ private party might be easy to get (not at trade in). However, you can spend a couple days and try to trade it in first, you might be surprise how much you can get on the car (because of Camry hype).

If you're still interested in getting another exact 2008 Camry as you have now, 3K is about what you need to pay (assuming your car has no cosmetic damages), IMO.
  • wilbonwilbon Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Toyota Camry; 4 cyl. When I bought this car I told the salesman I wanted anything with GOOD gas mileage. I was told the Camry would give me 25 - 28 mpg around town. I am getting 19.5 around. I traded in a Cadillac V-8 which was giving me 17 mph in town. Needless to say, I feel deceived with such poor gas mileage after I was promised 25 - 28. Whe I returned to the dealership to ask about it I was told I needed at least 10,000 miles before I would see good mileage. I now have 11,000 miles and the gas mileage has NOT improved! Does anyone out there have a 2007 4 cyl Toyota Camry that will let me know about the mileage you get?
    Have you seen the ads for the new full size Chevy Hybrid trucks. They advertise they get MPG in town then the Camry. One thing I have to give GM is their gas mileage. The EPA quotes their highway mileage on their big cars with in a mile or two of a Camry and they weigh and are a lot bigger than the Camry. What did the window sticker say it should get in city? You can figure about 3 miles per gal. less than that if it is running right and you don't have a lead foot.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Wilbon - I have a 2007 Camry 4 cylinder, automatic transmission that I purchased in July 2006 (a relatively early 2007 model). I traded a 2003 Camry with 4 cylinder and automatic transmission. Even though these cars have the same engine, and the 2007 has a 5 speed automatic vs. the 4 speed automatic in the 2003, the 2007 gets worse mileage. If I drive a mix of in town / freeway I get about 24-25 MPG. If I fill it up and get directly on the interstate and cruise at 70, I can get about 29-30. The 2007 falls short of the 2003 model by about 3-4 MPG in both highway and mixed driving. This is a big disappointment, even with the 5 speed auto vs. the 4 speed auto. I also must run premium fuel in this car, as the engine bucks / wheezes / coughs on regular when first started and not fully warmed up. The premium has helped in that area.

The mileage did take at least 10,000 miles to get to this level. Car now has 23,000 miles and mileage has remained constant.

As is typical of Toyota's response when I inquire at the dealer "everything is running as designed".

Poor mileage along with an awful automatic transmission in the 2007 (constant upshifting and downshifting at highway speeds) will mean this is the last Toyota I ever purchase.
    belaircarguy,

You need to get a TSB on your vehicle. You have one of the classic problem symptoms, the constant upshifting/downshifting while cruising. It acts as if the engine just doesn't have enough power. The TSB addresses engine and transmission performance, and your vehicle will run significantly better with more power. There were actually two TSB's released to address this problem, the second supercedes the first. This takes about 1/2 hour for the dealership to install this software. I have an earlier mfg than yours, and reported the cruising downshifting as a problem within the first week of ownership. You will find the overall car performance significantly better, and I'm wondering why your dealership doesn't know about this! Just print out this TSB, take your car in and tell them you have hesitation and performance issues, and ask them to install this TSB for you. You shouldn't need the high octane.

4 cyl performance TSB
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    My thinking is that the I4 Camry is underpowered in both HP and torque for such a large and heavy car. I believe the 07 Camry is heavier than the 02-06 Camry. So having that extra gear and with nearly the same power means that on an incline the engine has to downshift more frequently compared to the 4 speed auto ( which revs at a higher rpm ) to maintain constant speed. The plus point of having a 5 speed is that the engine turns about 200-300 rpm lower at 60 compare to the 4 speed. I hope the next Gen. I4 Camry gets a bigger engine ( in the 2.5 to 2.6L range) and horspower and torque is boosted to around 180. That should fix the upshift, downshift annoyance.
    Actually I've posted prior the HP and torque charts from my research into my initial cruise control problem, they're on my Carspace. The car is very adequately powered, WHEN it's got the right software load. I've taken this car on trips, and it cruises perfectly now.

I have a 10 mile stretch of interstate near me, where I can now drive (post-TSB) and it never downshifts. Prior to the TSB, probably downshifted 15-20 times.
    I went thew the arbitration and loset in July of 06 and lost for the same reasons you did hateed the car sence day 5 I just recently traded it for a 08 Accord , that is a much better preforming car all around and better fuel mileage Congts on your win.
    I have a 2007 Camry that I bought in March of 2006. I have never had very good gas mileage. I get about 28 MPG on a road trip - highway, no traffic, and in town I get about 16-18. Needless to say, I have been VERY disappointed in this. I have been told that since the engine light is not on, that everything is fine. Good Luck to you!
    RE: the feel of the left side bolster, the upholsterer said the manufacturer adds a layer of something {padding, material} over the seat mounted airbag and it has somehting to do with making sure it inflates properly or something like that, but by adding an extra layer or 2 it makes it feel uneven.
    We test drove a Matrix 2-3 years ago, nice car etc but the seatback adjuster was like a ROCK in my side.
    No way I coulda bought that and dealt with it.

Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all {happy} TOYO CUSTOMERS :P
    Our 07 V6 xle with Vsc does the same thing and we were told it is the abs pump.
    Did you ever get this corrected and if so what was the fix?
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Kiawah - thanks very much for the TSB bulletin. I have printed it and will set up an appointment with the dealer. Hope this corrects the problem, as overall the Camry is a nice vehicle, but the poor engine / transmission performance is a deal breaker!
    i too have dash squeaks and have the same issue about sound coming from under the car like stones or pebbles hitting under the car. i thought i was just hearing things. have you had this looked at and what did they do to fix it?
    Thanks....I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the difference.
    you were told correctly. I have driven a number of vehicles with this feature. It should only come on in a skid and it is aplying the brake or brakes that is needed to correct the skid. On the wifes STS it is fun in the snow to watch the traction control and the stability come on one after the other. On her car it displays the message on the dash under the speedo. Anyway it is the abs operating. Difference is the abs pumps all the brakes where as the stability pumps from one to four
  • joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    I had a good opportunity this Christmas day 2007 to check the mileage on my 2007 Camry XLE 4-cyl. I drove from Wake Forest NC to Charlotte NC. Specifics are:
    1. Premium Exxon fuel (no, it doesn't require it)
    2. filled up in Wake Forest NC right off Route 1 (Capital Blvd)
    3. 2.5 hours back to Charlotte NC
    4. all highway, all 70+ mph, much of the distance with cruise control
    5. about 40 degrees, no rain, snow, high wind, etc.
    6. no hangups, obstructions or slow downs (few people on the road)
    7. 30 PSI in front, 31 in rear
    8. 9800 miles on the odo.

The trip computer showed 33.9mpg at end of trip. Typically, with the weather we've had in Charlotte (about 40-55 during daylight), I am getting 24-25mpg mixed driving. With more short trips I get 23-24.

Other facts are:
    1. had the tranmission TSB performed last year, so no more hesitation, up/down shift craziness with cruise control since then; car drives very well; although I think slightly underpowered with the air conditioning on; I'd like to see 190hp in next model.
    2. I have the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles at dealer
    3. use premium fuel most of the time (I don't think this makes a big difference with gas mileage, but have found in cars i've owned that the engine remains clean, injectors trouble free)
    4. check the air pressure in my tires once each week; tires are rotated every 5000 miles.
    5. during the winter months (in fact, most all the time) I don't let the gas tank fall below 1/2 full to try and minimize problems with moisture.
    Hope you will also post your mileage in the MPG discussion. :)