Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    Reposting question about Dashboard noise on 2007 Camery LE.... I know I read there is a TSB to fix this noise ... my question is... has anyone gotten this done? Did it fix the problem or did it just create other rattles and noises? I wanted to hear from a few folks that got this done to check what their experience was 1st... anyone that has gotten this done.. I would apprecitiate your input.

( TSB ... dash and install anti rattle tape." Under "PARTS: QTY: 2. FP NUMBER: 08231-00801-WA. DESCRIPTION: Noise kit.")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

I have a 2007 Camry LE - only 3000 miles... I live in NY and now that the weather has turned cold my dashboard is making noises that is driving me crazy. It sounds like it is coming from where the speakers are.. if I push down on the dash at those spots I can replicate the noise... once the car heats up the noise mostly goes away... I saw on the a previous posting that there was a TSB for this in Canada... I called my dealer and once they looked up the issue on their Toyota dealer website they said they saw something that references this issue.... (MY CONCERN is... once they remove the entire dash and disturb everything... is this going to help or make matters worse)? Has anyone gotten this work done yet? Has it helped or made things worse?
  • Options
    joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    Unless I was there, with a Toyota factory rep or Factory Dashboard assembly expert, to watch the whole process, I wouldn't want to have the dash removed.

I had a 2001 Toyota Avalon that, when below 35 degrees out, would emote squeaks and rattles from the dashboard, especially near the bottom of the windshield. I was told that the dash would have to be pulled, or the windshield replaced. I opted to blast the heat for a few minutes which calmed down the noise.

The event that fixed the squeaks and rattles was when some moron ran into the back of my Avalon at 30+ mph, almost, but not quite, totaling it. I didn't keep the Avalon long enough after the "accident" to see if any other noises developed over time.

Now, I have a 2007 Camry XLE 4-cyl, and am happy (not thrilled, but happy enough) with it. It has been trouble free after the TSB installed. Without that TSB, one way or the other, it would have been gone.
  • Options
    rachparerachpare Member Posts: 1
    2007 Camry SE - when changing between FM/AM/CD or using the integrated Blue Tooth, I suspect a speaker (or any speaker) isn't working - I've tested this when pressing the 'mode' button and hearing only silence until I cycle through all modes again again as well as when trying to make call from the integrated Blue Tooth - I can tell that the call is going through and the person I'm calling can hear me, but I can't hear a thing. So I think that sometimes the speaker doesn't keep up with the mode change or there is a loose wire. It has also happened since I had my Sirius Fit Kit installed in late Dec 07. My dealer will 'check it out' at my next service appt (faulty rear window defrost wire necessitates replacement of entire rear window). The problem with the mode thing, though, is that there is no rhyme or reason to when it happens so I'm not sure diagnostics will reveal anything.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info... I feel the same... I can't imagine them taking the dash apart and not opening a whole new can of worns... the noise is annoying, especially if you hate noises and rattles.. I had a 95 Nissan Altima... just got rid of it when I bought the 07 Camry and the car after 12 yrs was still tight as a drum, no noise or rattles... then I buy this car and I have more noises then a 12 yr old car... just can't win... Funny thing is.. I'm wondering if all 2007's have the same problem or was it just a select few that were manufactured in a certain factory....

PS: Your story about you Avalon was pretty funny....
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If it's that bad then have them fix it. Dashes now days are designed better for the most part and have fewer rattles. If you have ever been in a car factory then you will know that the whole dash is installed as one piece, not put together in the car. In this case they should be able to pull it out the same way. Tell them before hand that if it still squeeks even if somewhere else you expect it to be fixed and a free loaner car for your troubles. The past 5 cars I have bought this is added to the form I sign to seal the deal. It basically states that I understand that all cars can have problems but if the dealer doesn't fix it right the first time then I get a loaner for the second or if need be third time. This is agreed to by the owner of the dealership as others come and go. I have only had to walk out of one dealership over this and funny thing salesman called an hour later and left a message on my answering machine that they agreed to it. But by the time I got home I had already made a deal somewhere else.
  • Options
    roadtripgirlroadtripgirl Member Posts: 20
    Yes, there is a time limit to file a claim under the Lemon Law. In FL, it's 2 years. Your car has to be in the shop for 3 times for the same problem before you file.
    I know...I own an Acura and had 4 transmissions replaced by 67K miles! Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info... I think I will get it fixed... the car is 1 yr old but only has 3k miles.. (I work from home) and the noise bothers me to no end... I'll take your advice for the loaner car... thanks again.
  • Options
    bariawalabariawala Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 , 4 cyl, Auto Transmission, Camry does not want to move above 75 mph. Upon slight grade, it does not want to accelerate. this does not allow me to pass any auto on the road. I am driving in D gear.

What could be the problem? Car has less than 11000 miles.

Does any one else have this problem?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    It's under warranty, get it to the dealership and take them for a test drive.
  • Options
    nashvillenapanashvillenapa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07' camry SE V-6 with a popping and creaking noise coming from the dash. Most of the noise seemed to be coming from the base of the windshield by where the clock is. I had the TSB work done, and it fixed that problem, but now I have a small rattle from the front left speaker area. But, that rattle seems to come and go. But it is better than it was.
  • Options
    eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    OH has TOYO DROPPED THE BALL....

I too had the dash rattles fixed last week.
    Well until I got back into the car the next day and it was chilly out, it was WORSE.

TOYOTA WHATS GOING ON.
    THis is worse than my 97 Grand Prix. My dash pops and tings just sitting at a stop sign or red light. The plastic is so cheap and there is no insulation inside there so it just begs for the temperature differences to make it expand and contract, hence the pop and tings and pops
    Frustrating to no end. I CANT WAIT TILL I TRDE IT IN FOR AN ACURA TL
  • Options
    psinapod3psinapod3 Member Posts: 1
    I was searching the net for 2007 manual transmission camry's with possible problems and came across your message. My gear shift almost slips out of first gear. This doesn't happen all of them time ..so of course the technician couldn't find anything that indicated a problem....When I am in 3rd and 5th gear and I let off the gas and then accelerate again, there is a pull that visibly shows on the gearshift when I hit the gas. Does your Camry have any of these symptoms? We also own a 2000 Sienna and the transmission went at 90K. Toyota backed the recall ( because of the class action with the sludge deal maybe)...but none the less, they took care of it. If this is another issue, I may be moving on to Honda. If you could respond, I would appreciate it. These cars are few and far between to compare.
    Thanks
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, I don't have a Camry with a manual transmission, but I've always had one manual in my "fleet," currently a '98 Nissan Frontier.

You say it "almost" pops out of gear, but in mind, it either does or doesn't. So if there's just some movement of the stick, I don't think it's any cause for concern.
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I have an '07 manual Camry, zero problems. I don't think the stick moves much, if it all, but I will try to pay close attention tomorrow. I have had other Toyota manuals that move slightly, but they never had any problems, and I had them over 100k miles.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Motor mounts are the most likely cause of "shift stick" position changes under differing engine loads.
  • Options
    worn synchronizer rings can also cause it, but I doubt that's the case here. I forgot to check for any movement today, I'll try to remember tomorrow.
  • Options
    chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    I just dropped my car off to have them fix the rattle ,dash noise. I'm worried about the whole dash being removed but at this point I don't have a choice. The noise is to discouraginge to listen to.
    I also have a radio proble which is showing "error3" on the display when I tried to eject cd's. I also have a problem getting the sound back on after I swith modes.
    I should have an update on the dash fix this weekend?
    Oh how I hate this car!
  • Options
    OK, I remembered to pay attention to any movement of the stick today. Just like all my other cars, the only movement is a little bit in 5th gear, if you back off the throttle then accelerate again. Again, just like all my other Toyota manuals, and the transmissions (and clutches) all had in excess of 120k miles when sold with no problems.

If you still think it is a problem, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. At the least, you will have documentation if it does become a problem in the future. And you may sleep better at night. :)
  • Options
    vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    The front bumper on my camry chips very badly with little salts on roads. Every time I go out I see new spots where the paint completely chipped. In the summer time, little flies were chipping it. I have now too many of them on the bumper. I always check parked camries around and have not seen anything on their bumpers.I was wondering if my car was poorly painted. Is there anybody having the same problem?
  • Options
    I got my car back today after it was in the shop for dash noise. They said they removed the top of the dash and lined some vents and did something with pins and fittings. The nose seems to be gone though I hear ninor stuff maybe speaker rattle. I will test it out in colder weather as it was mid 30's today.
    The dash seens to be in good shape. I would recommend this fix. Though it's been just one test drive it seem's to be much better.
    You may want to find a dealership who has done the job before?
    They also ordered me a new radio.
    It's nice to have the rattles gone but it's been a long 1-1/2 years of termoil with this car.
    Keep the faith
  • Options
    orbiterorbiter Member Posts: 4
    (I posted this on the Camry Hybrid forum, but it may apply to other Camrys as well.)
    I have had my TCH since July, 2007. I love the car, but have also had rattles in the dash that have been driving me crazy. But, there is now a fix!! After the third visit to try and fix the rattles that seemed to be coming from the center of the dash, about mid point at the top, I received a call from my dealer's service department. Toyota finally acknowledged that there is, indeed, a rattle issue, and has issued a service bulletin. The bulletin number is: NV008-07. It is specific to certain VIN numbers, and mine was included. (My car was built in Japan, but it may include US built cars as well.) The issue is that in assembling the dash, Toyota used plastic clips that snapped together. The fit wasn't tight enough, so it could rattle, especially in cold weather. The repair requires "Noise Kit #08231-00801", and "Wind Noise Kit #08231-00810". Toyota allowed the dealer 4.5 hours for the repair (under warranty), and it took almost six hours of their time to accomplish. It requires virtually the complete disassembly of the dash. The car is now back together, and there isn't a squeak or rattle anywhere in the car, even over the really bumpy rutted roads we get here in northern Wisconsin in the winter time. There is also no wind noise, but I never had that problem in the first place. I did have a squeak in the shift console about a year ago, which they fixed it as a known issue. I did get rid of my Bridgestone Turanza EL400 OEM tires, which wore out at 29K, with incredible road noise, and replaced them with Yokohama Avid TRZ tires. Now, my TCH has 32K miles, rides like a dream, is as quiet as a church, and after keeping meticulous records for all those miles, have averaged 37.102 MPG. Hope this helps anyone with noise issues in what is otherwise a marvelous vehicle. Good luck!
  • Options
    My car was in the service dept. for the noise and other things 2 times already and neither time was it properly fixed. Properly as in my satisfaction.

I had an issue with a super soft seat and they had an upholsterer come out and add some foam, well he added it to the wrong section of seat and made the dip or divot or lean worse. I took it back and he added it to the correct side.
    BUT the seat is still too soft. Maybe my size is the problem.
    Not a problem in my 05 CR-V, I drive that more and make my wife drive my Camry.

I test drove an 08 Acura TL yesterday and was blown away at the comfort, tightness etc but alas, Iam now {in 13 months} over $6,000 negative on my Camry.

I cant wait till I trade this junker in.
    Wish i waited another month or so and test drove an 07 TL.

Oh and Orbiter- you said you got 29K on the OEM tires? :P :P
    I only got 14K. :cry:
  • Options
    tnrtnr Member Posts: 10
    I'm a 'new owner'...just purchased my 2007 yesterday. The test drive seemed fine...but after reading all the "transmission"/"accelleration" issues people have been having...I'm really concerned. I am taking it to my local service station tomorrow....since this was a fleet car that was driven by different individuals and was acquired by the dealership Nov. 2006, is there anything I need to ask my service station to be on the lookout for. This was not an inexpensive purchase and I expect to own this car for a long time...so any advice is appreciated. You could email me "offlist" at calliekitten@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Katie (hoping I didn't make a mistake)
  • Options
    Is your vehicle a 4 cylinder, or 6 cylinder?

The 4 cylinder has a TSB (technical service bulletin) that fixes the hesitation and cruise control shifting problem. If is a software load to the computer, and the vehicle will run significantly better with it installed. Since your vehicle is coming from some fleet service, my guess would be that it has not had this fix put on it. There is a sticker that guts put under the hood if you got this TSB, and your dealer can look your VIN number up and check one way of the other.

The 6 cylinder problem is what is called a transmission flare, which seems to occur once when the engine/transmission is cold. The engine will rev up approximately 1K and spike while the transmission is upshifting to a higher gear. Fixes for this problem are more difficult. Some require transmission replacements. See your dealer if you have this problem.

Good luck with your new ride.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "I am taking it to my local service station tomorrow...."

Now that statement bothers me mightily.

Why not just take it to Jeffy-lube and ask their opinion..??

Or Sears, Firestone, or Goodyear...??
  • Options
    The reason I'm taking it to my service station is that it is literally a 10 minute walk from where I live so I can drop it off in the morning and pick it up after they have looked it over. I'm a bit gun shy because I had 2 Mazda 626's that were problematic (1996 and 1998-both bought new and both had transmission issues that required a new transmission before they had 50,000 miles...the engine in the 1998 626 just died). I didn't mean to bend anyone out of shape...just want to make sure that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Katie
  • Options
    Thanks....It's a 4 cylinder LE. I actually found it through Edmunds. I'll definately follow up on the TSB. Thanks!!

Katie
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Katie, welcome. I think (though I'm just guessing since he was rather oblique) that Willard means he doesn't trust the sort of maintenance places he lists. If you have reason to trust your local service station, go for it.

I took my car to a nearby service station for years and they took excellent care of it and of me. Of course that doesn't mean all service stations are capable of doing that, but certainly a service station shouldn't be ruled out just because it is a service station, seems to me.

OTOH, if it's not a place with which you are familiar, keep on your toes and if anything doesn't seem right, head to the dealer.

About the TSB, it may be that you have to go to the dealer to have that applied. You could call the service station and the dealer to find out.

I think that was Willard's point - in any case, good luck and let us know how it goes!!

:)
  • Options
    Thanks Pat for the warm welcome. I was going to talk to the dealership when I get my tags. In the meantime, I wanted to have my car looked over just to ensure there are no issues that they can find.

Katie
  • Options
    wilbonwilbon Member Posts: 5
    You are not alone! It seems we had paint chipped from the back bumper. I got a little tube of paint from the dealer to fix it. recently I have noticed paint chipping off near the door handle. Obviously many Toyota cars are poorly painted!
    My problem is poor gas mileage. Would you let me know your in town mpg?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good thinking - keep us posted!
  • Options
    Welcome! Just as others have mentioned, make sure yours has the latest TSB software to fix the hesitation (TSB #EG036-07). This is for the 4 cylinder. You'll need to go to the Toyota dealer, but it is under warranty for 3 year/36k miles, and only takes 35 minutes to complete. Other than that complaint, the only other problems to look out for are interior rattles that some have, but there are TSBs to fix the rattles too. This is also under the warranty.

Just make sure you follow the maintenance schedule in the manual and your Camry should be extremely reliable.
  • Options
    I can't remember what the sales person told me but your MPG quote is around what was quoted to me.

Katie
  • Options
    elecboyelecboy Member Posts: 2
    I purhased my car on May 2006 after searching Toyota dealerships for a manual transmission SE model.
    I located one at a Brooklyn dealership, "PLAZA AUTOMALL", which was the CE model.
    The second day I purchased the car I drove back with shifting problems but the service manager told me that it was a new car and the problem will go away after driving the car for over 1000 miles.
    My problem is the reverse gear, sometimes it shifts nicelly but most of the times especially when I go shopping and want to park my car DOES NOT SHIFT INTO REVERSE.
    I took my car to a TOYOTA dealer a week ago and the Service Manager told me, not to depress the clutch pedal all the way down when I shift into reverse.
    I'm driving for 40 years and never heard of such a thing.
    I only have 11.900 miles on the odometer, advise what to do. :mad:
  • Options
    I also have an '07 CE manual transmission. I have no problems with it. What do you mean by "DOES NOT SHIFT INTO REVERSE"?

On all manual transmissions I have owned, occasionally the stick will not go into the reverse slot, so you must either put it into a forward gear, then try reverse again, or put it in neutral, release clutch, then engage clutch and slowly put it in reverse.

Let me know.
  • Options
    rajshahrajshah Member Posts: 2
    I have similar problem - even more since I chage car oil first time on 4500k miles, If car is in parking gear doesn't shake; onece put in drive car start shaking - I told by car tech guy its normal I know it's not; anyhow they looked here and there found nothing told that drive 2 or 3 days more still shaking bring back; So far car is shaking I don't have time to take appointment and sit for hours result none; I'm very disapointed with toyota camry 2007; and recommending to all don't buy new camry till toyota fix all problems.
    :confuse:
    :sick:
  • Options
    rajshahrajshah Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I'm getting 17/18 MPG; city highway both - poor gas milage!
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if getting the TSB software to fix the hesitation (TSB #EG036-07) problem help or hurt gas mileagae? Also, does the software upgrade actually work.... does it feel like power is lossed or gained after the upgrade?
  • Options
    Runs MUCH better after the TSB, has more power. Definitely works.
  • Options
    Runs MUCH better after the TSB, has more power. Definitely works.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    Has anyone successfully had Toyota address the rattles from the dashboard. After having this car less than a week...all the rattles are driving me bonkers. They are primarily near the speakers and the stereo system...but it seems the entire dashboard is subject to random noise which is extremely disappointing. I'm calling the dealership today to let them know that I need that addressed or I must return the car.
  • Options
    I have the same issue... noise is near the speakers ... more so when it's very cold... I know there is a TSB which the dealers know about it... I have read at least 1 person has gotten this fixed with the TSB.. they said it fixed the problem. I have been waiting to see if more folks that get it done have good experiences afterwards... I think I only saw 1 response back that someone got it done. I just really have a problem with the tech's taking the whole dashboard out without them screwing something else up. Also, if your lucky... hopefully the dealer that u bring your car to has done this already.... Write back if you get this done and let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    I have read reports from many people on this and other web sites, and the TSB for the dashboard rattles seems to work good. Your '07 must be an early production (see the build date on the driver's door jamb.).
  • Options
    The dealership is going to have the service guy call me to arrange a time to bring my car in. A coworker found that the TSB is NV008-07. I'll let you know how it goes.

Katie
  • Options
    Great! If you want, this TSB is out on the internet, just so you can see what is going to be done. ToyotaNation is another site specific to Toyotas, and they have most of the TSBs.
  • Options
    sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    After the TSB it is driving much better than before. But still the transmission is not shifting smoothly for me. It jerks while shifting in lower gears.
  • Options
    Hello I had the dash noise tsb done. From what I was told they only take the top of the dash apart. The TSB also includes a noise kit.
    My car noise is much improved. Now that the major noises are gone I seem to be focusing on smaller noises maybe from arounfd the speakers?
    I'm as happy with the car as I have ever been since the major rattles are gone.
    I still think Toyota can make this car better and I'm not ready to recommend this car to anyone.
    I would go ahead and get the tsb done. You may want to make sure your dealer has done this job and ask for the best mechanic they got.
    PS I've owned the car for a 1 1/2 years and have had all the issues you have read about. It's a v-6 also.
    Maybe Toyota has accomplished what they wanted to do? That is to wear me down.
  • Options
    ganeshkumarganeshkumar Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm having 2007 camry -SE. I do have problem with this and would like to get your help to solve this problem.

The problem is by turning the steering fully towards right or left, if I move my car; I'm getting hammering noise from the front wheels. I don't know the cause. And my dealer said its design problem. Please help me to resolve this.

Ganesh
  • Options
    vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for your response about the paint. I have touch-up pen as well. I have already too many touch-ups on the bumper, which look ugly.

I recorded my gas consumption for the last 6000km. 85% of this is high way driving. I am having average 27 mpg. It goes down to 18mpg in the city.
  • Options
    I had my 07 LE V-6 in twice for the dash rattles and a few other things.
    Suppsoedly the dash was fixed but it wasn't. I dont know if they actually applied the TSB or just stuck some sticky tape in there but its still bad. So much that my wife drives it and I use her 05 CR-V.
    I am so frustrated with this car, my other big gripe {really the only other issue} is the driver seat. It is soooo soft it hurts my back. The guy who re-upholsters seats said his wife and an Accord and had to trade it in cause the firmnes of that hurt her back.
    I hope Im not the only one who despises that seat...
    I know being 6' 240lbs cant help but its not like Im an NFL linebacker :P
    nor does the seat take all my weight when Im sitting in it. Maybe 80%