Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

Comments

• eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    Is it true that they wont {or at least give a hard time} perform a TSB repair if the VIN doesnt fall into the TSB criteria EVEN if your car is experiencing the problem?

I had to beg and plead {kinda} with them to do the dash rattle TSB. Servcice manager said the TSB was done AT THE FACTORY. HAAAA
    B.S. IMHO
  • batullbatull Member Posts: 1
    I have the same thing happening to my car< but it sounds like it is coming from the front. my car it sounds like the front passenger side strut. i am taking it in soon. i will let you know or visa-versa
  • pwitekpwitek Member Posts: 1
    We have a new Camry with an automatic transmission. When the car is cold and is put into reverse a thunk is heard on the right front. After taking the car to the dealership they say that it is a normal problem. I am an ASE Master Certified Technician and I feel this is not a normal condition. It is more noticeable early in the morning. It does happen during the day but is not as noticeable as when the car is cold. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Has anyone heard of this before? Thanks
  • maleymaley Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Camry in June of 06 from Charles Barker Toyota in VA. Beach, VA. The car was manufactured in Kentucky. The front and back brakes have squealed almost from the first day and I started reporting the problem at the first dealership service. Both TSB's have been applied but did not fix the problem. A technician finally heard a squeak and anti squeaking lubricant was also applied but only lasted a week. Left the car at the dealership last Monday night and the district person came Tuesday. The response was they could not reproduce the squeal so could not fix the problem. Of course they squealed twice on the way home. I see I am not the only person with this problem. I am frustrated and annoyed to the point of wanting to trade the car and take a loss. If I do I won't buy a toyota. I also had the transmission problem and fortunately the tsb fixed that problem. Then the black wheel rims under the hub caps rusted horribly and the dealership had to replace them under warrenty. Never thought I would have these problems with a new car. Sad. :sick: :mad:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to CarSpace! Sorry to hear about your difficulties, but it's nice to see an old friend from another time and place. ;)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    There are several procedures that can be used to "quiet" squealing brakes.

A] Metal backing shims..
    B] Soft rubber backing material liberally applied.
    C] Chamfering the "leading" edges of the brake pads.

Many aftermarket pads come out of the box with both the leading and trailing edges of the brake pads chamferred. I did note fairly recently that some of the pads supplied as original equipment at the factory only have one edge chamferred (leaves more braking surface..) and if those are incorrectly installed....

Something you might try on your own is to make several severe stops, HEAVY brake useage from a faily high speed, 20-30 MPH, to remove any buildup of pad or rotor glaze. But sometimes this only works temporarily.
  • joanna6joanna6 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2007 Camry XLE in March 2006 (yes, 2006). I also experienced the water leak. Initially, I was told the sunroof drain was clogged. After the service dept. blowing out the drain/hose, I still had the wet floor when it rained. I then left it at the service department on a day it was raining. They were able to determine the cause. I was told that the problem was "there was not enough insulation installed". Of course, I didn't get a great deal of info, but whatever was done worked. They did fix it and replaced the carpeting. Good luck.

In reading the comments on this forum, we all seem to have the same complaints. Too bad. I loved my 1999 Solara SLE. I, like some of the others, as much as it would hurt financially, am thinking of dumping the Camry.
  • bluesebluese Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to the people who replied with similar problems. I've been putting this issue for six months now and haven't posted any followups, because my initial experience with a district service and parts manager went very badly last October (07). I needed to schedule an appointment with this individual through the local dealer for a date when he would be in my area. About a week before I took it in the dealer for this appointment, the knock seemed to die down a little. My test drive with this manager, a mechanic and the dealership service manager was on a rainy day, with too much traffic before I get the car to a side street where I could accelerate and brake to demo the problem. Very little knock to be heard, unfortunately. The district manager would not even acknowledge that I had a problem! I've been driving since then with the radio on mostly when I leave home and work, so I don't hear the knock. Two weeks ago it seemed to be particularly loud and persistent, still knocking after warming up to normal operating temperature, so I decided to beat my head on the wall again. I called the service manager at the dealership and scheduled another appointment with the same district manager. My drive last Friday clearly demonstrated the problem to one of the dealer's "top" mechanics, and both the service manager and district manager acknowledged that they also heard it in the back seat. After the drive, the district manager states that the sound I'm hearing is "normal" for this V6 engine, is a known issue, and called it "piston slap". When I asking for any technical advisory or other documentation that states that this is "normal" and that there wouldn't be any impact to the engine in the future, like when the warranty ends, none of the three people from Toyota would acknowledge that anything like this exists. I already had authorization to replace the badly shifting/slipping transmission, but that will now wait until after the arbitration process has been completed. This car has been the biggest disappointment in my new car buying history, and I am looking forward to a favorable decision to get rid of it.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    Hello Bluese, I have a 2007 v-6 camry SE and just want you to know that I also have the piston slap and all the other issues you have been reading on these post.
    I have owned this car since July of 2006 and I can tell you it's been my worse experinece ever with a car. The dash rattles were a hugh problem and they finally did a TSB to help that problem. It took a year and a half for them to get that done.
    My trans is still not right and my brakes squeak.

These dealerships are trained well to protect themselves from the lemmon law.

I wish some lawyer would read these post and get together a class action suit.

It is not right for Toyota to get away with this.

Keep fighting, chuck
  • lboogygypsylboogygypsy Member Posts: 1
    I just had this same problem today. I started my car and the whole radio display console looked like Icelandic. Wouldn't allow me to adjust the stereo, eject a c.d., or even turn the radio off. I am curious to know the temperature outside when you are having this problem. Today was the first time it happened. It was about 100 degrees outside. Unfortunately turning off my car did not correct the problem. I contacted my local Toyota dealership and was told by a service technician that I would need to bring my vehicle in as "the unit may have fried". Whatever that means. I find it ridiculous that a vehicle as new as this (only 12, 000 miles so far, with regular Toyota maintenance), could have a problem this soon. I also notice a slipping feeling in my transmission. I have an 07 LE as well, auto trans. I notice when I go down slight grades the slippage is horrible. Dissapointing mostly, I love the car.
  • retire4meretire4me Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my 2008 XLE V6 has the same issue...took it into the dealer today and there is a service bulletin for it...

I am also having a intermittent delay in shifting issue that some others are experiencing ... no updates or bulletins..they are still looking at it...

I have never had issues like these with my other Camry's... :(
  • keislkeisl Member Posts: 16
    Hi there! I can say, that this was the least of my troubles! I just went to the dealer for my regular oil change, and told them about the radio problem. After completing the oil change, they asked if I could bring the car back later that week and leave it for the day (not overnight). They told me that they were just going to replace the radio. It was a common problem and instead of making me come back if it did it again, they would just replace it right then. This may have been my best experience with that service department! They went one step further when I forgot to take the darn CD out of the player when I brought it in. They mailed it to me! Anyway, just thought I'd add a positive! ;)
  • azul1azul1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 07 Camry in Dec of 2006 in Ohio. I didn't notice my brakes were squeaking after I left the dealership but until a week later. My brakes were squeaking and barely braking.The car would roll atleast 10 feet before stopping. I decided to call to the dealership and inquire about the brake issue. At first the the service manager said it was normal because its the weather since it's winter and that I should wait until spring and bring the car in. Of course I believe that that was an excuse. So I took the car in anyway and they told me it would be a 2 hour wait. Which eventually led to a week because they had to get a part was the excuse by the service department; but they really had to replace the back brake discs.. I haven't had any problems with the brakes since. So I would advise you to go to a different toyota dealership and get a second opinion and have them to check the brake disc.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    There was a TSB for early production '07 Camrys for noisy brakes - it was not a safety/performance thing though.
  • yangt0720yangt0720 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I'm having this roof noise you're talking about. Sounds like a rock hitting the roof. Did you figure out how to fix it? or did the dealer find out what was causing the noise? please let me know. thanks.
  • foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    I trades my Camry in for a 2008 Accord so i would say my roof noise gone now along with all the other inherited Camry problems I have had my Accord now 6 months 10000 miles now not one complaint or problem :)
  • smogladysmoglady Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 07 camery in april of 2006 one of the first of 3 that were delivered to our dealership in victorville ca. I had no problems until 18,700 miles I was getting off the freeway when I slowed to exit the ramp the car went into a severe vibration. I had no warning that there was anything wrong. It scared me as I could hardly control the car from the vibration. I took to the dealer and was told it was warped rotors and the pads were bad. They cut the rotors and replaced the brakes. It was great for another 11,000 miles. Guess what it is in again for the same problem. I am not happy about it. While I was dropping it off this morning another person was there with the same problem and almost the same mileage when his problem started. Could this be a possible flaw in the brake system that toyota used for this car? I think so. I also have a knock in the engine which they said was nothing wrong. I did by the extended warrenty thank god I think I might need it. I love the car tho it does perform well and is good on gas.
  • vizyovizyo Member Posts: 35
    I have 2007 LE Camry. I have only 10,000km on it. I am having a "knock" noise coming from the back of my car. It happens only when I stop the car and wait for about a few minutes and move it again. It drives me crazy. I've also started having rattles on the driver's door. I've had too many other problems with this car since the first day. I do not remember how many times I took it to the service. I bought a brand new car to have peace of mind for some time. This car is a big disappointment over all. My old corolla was doing much better than this.
  • chuck28chuck28 Member Posts: 259
    The problem with the knock noise from the back is probabally happening when the tank is full. I have the same problem. I heard it has something to do with the baffles in the gas tank. Just another problem of many I have with my 2007 Camry V-6 SE.
    Dealers famous words. "it's normal" That's how Toyota builds it's reputation. YA Right!
  • nmarcel1nmarcel1 Member Posts: 21
    I'm not sure how long in months it took you to put on another 11k miles on the car from the last time the dealer cut your rotors but what you need to watch for is when you bring your car in for service (namely inspections)... when these guys use impact wrenches to tighten the lug nuts on the wheels they always over tighten and then when the rotors heat up and cool down.... they will warp.... it happened to me many times... so now when I know a mechanic uses a impact wrench on my wheels I always loosen them and then apply the correct pressure so they do not warp.... Just a thought.
    Have someone wire the e-throttle such that if the brake lights are on the throttle will not open beyond idle. In the meantime make sure the carpet/mat is not "resting" on the gas pedal. And if you have someone in your family that "tends" to rest their left foot on the brake pedal then BRAKE them of the habit.

In an effort to improve FE the brake rotors are being lightened to the N'TH degree. That means that if you abuse your brakes they WILL punish you.
    I am the only driver of this car. I do not ride the brakes. the carpet doesn't ride on the throttle. I think this is a rotor problem from manufactor. I own a auto repair shop for the last 20 years and service my car myself. I check the brakes and rotors every 5,000 miles when I rotate tires.. I change the oil every 3,000 miles. I don't think the rotors should be cut down not at 18,000 miles.I think the rotors were defective from the get go. They should have just replaced the rotors they could have been warped from the factory, This problem also came on suddenly with no warning. Imagine hitting your brakes and all of a sudden it is out of control. That is what happened not once but twice. It was scarey. No lights came on at any time. :This is not normal. I will keep an eye on it.">
    Just wondering if you take it to the service for this noise? I do not think it is because the tank is full. It does it all the time even when the tank is low, but it happens only once when I start the car and move it. It does not repeat afterwards until I park it again. I will take it to service soon. I will post the diagnosis here if they can find it !!!
    Just a thought - maybe you are hearing the ABS test - that only happens once the car is started and moved.
  • amy22amy22 Member Posts: 4
    I also have this same knock, right when it hits 10 mph. toyota told me it's normal just the abs actuator. Talked to other mechanics and was told this would not happen. This is one of many problems since day one. I would not be able to sell this car with that knock. (I have '08 Camry)
    As you said, it does "knocking" noise when the speed reaches to around 10mph. It does not sound like coming from ABS though. I have too many other problems with this car since the first day as well. This is not my first Toyota but it will definitely be the last one. After driving two more Toyotas for years without any major problem, I did not hesitate to buy another one without any search. However it turned out to be a big dissappointment. I will take the car to the service these days for this "knocking" noise. I will post the diagnosis here.
  • sekhonroublesekhonrouble Member Posts: 3
    hello there. i also bought my 2007 camry in april 2006. it was one of the first delivery that came to the dealership. i was really impressed with the car. later i found out that while driving i also had a pulsating problem with the brakes at 8,000 miles. i own my own repair shop. i had a brake inspection done at my own shop and came to find out that the rotors were glazed and worped and pads were getting eaten up the bad rotors. i than took to the dealership and had the brakes replaced at 8,000miles. after i had the brakes replaced i also noticed an oil leak at 10,000 miles. i then had the inspection done at the shop and came to find out that the engine's valve cover gaskets were leaking oil. i had the valve cover gaskets replaced at 10,000miles at the dealership under warranty. then at 15,000miles again i noticed the brakes pulsating and again worped rotors. i had the brakes replaced again at 15,000miles. but at about 25,000miles i noticed leaky rear shocks. i was really fed up with this car in only 1.5years. i finally gave up that car back to the dealer and i swore that i would never buy a toyota that is made in USA and produced and assembled in Kentucky. i would suggest not to buy the 2007 toyota camry V6 with 3.5L engine. too many problems. by the way this car has a recall on transmission and brake system.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That one time knock is the ABS self test, and yes indeed is normal. It's written up in the owners manual that you'll hear that sound, IIRC.

I have a 2007, and don't even hear it anymore.
    Yes, kiawah is right.
    I am sorry you had so many problems. My car seems to be ok now. I have not had any of the other problems you had, I really like the car but will keep an eye on the brake problem. I have the 4 cylinder engine and it gets good gas mileage and with 4.75 a gallon that is a plus. I now have 30,000 miles no problems other then an o-ring in ac.They took care of that no problem. Of course I do the maintance myself I don't trust the dealers.
    If this is normal why did I not hear it right after I bought the car? And why did I not hear it when I test drove the Camry's? And why is it just a Camry thing? Other cars do not do this. I have never had a car make this sound. If it is "normal" than they should be doing something about a part that consistently makes a noise. I believe it is the ongoing transmission problems with the Camry. You must work for Toyota. And not to mention this is just minor compared to some other bizarre symptoms.
    hello there smoglady. this is rouble again. you have been lucky that you didn't get the V6 camry. most of the V6 camry's have problems. not many problems with the 4 cylinders.
    i also bought my 2007 camry in april 2006. it was one of the first delivery that came to the dealership. i really liked the car until i started having brake and valve cover gasket and transmission problems. while driving i also had a pulsating problem with the brakes at 8,000 miles. i own my own repair shop. i had a brake inspection done at my own shop and came to find out that the rotors were glazed and worped. i than took to the dealership and had the brakes replaced at 8,000miles. i also noticed an oil leak at 10,000 miles. i then had the car inpected and came to find out that the engine's valve cover gaskets were leaking oil. i had the valve cover gaskets replaced at 10,000miles at the dealership under warranty. then at 15,000miles again i noticed the brakes pulsating and again worped rotors. i had the brakes replaced again at 15,000miles. but at about 25,000miles i noticed leaky rear shocks. i was really fed up with this car in only 1.5years. i finally gave up that car back to the dealer and i swore that i would never buy a toyota that is made in USA and produced and assembled in Kentucky. i would suggest not to buy the 2007 toyota camry V6 with 3.5L engine. too many problems. by the way this car has a recall on transmission and brake system.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Sorry to burst your balloon, but kiawah is one of the best people on these boards and provides very helpful advice to a lot of people. He doesn't work for Toyota and neither do I.

The ABS actuator self-test "mechanical sound" is common to many cars, including the first car I had with ABS -- my 1990 Mercury Sable. Please refer to your owner's manual.
    Yes, 210delray and kiawah are correct. I own an '07, and it has always made this ABS test noise after you start it and start moving. It does this once after each time you start the engine. My '99 Corolla with 100k+ miles also does it.
  • dilligaf1dilligaf1 Member Posts: 3
    Does the ABS test noise happen when going in reverse or going forwards? Also, how soon does it happen or does it happen at a certain speed?

I can hear a noise but I'm not sure if it's normal or not.

Just curious
    :confuse:
    I hear it going forward, below 20 mph, only once after each time the engine is started.
    Could you describe how loud it is or what it sounds like?

And please forgive my ignorance, but why would the ABS actuator not be activated or reset once you step on the brakes, but when you start driving only forward?
    It seems confusing to me.
    :confuse:
    Its a "self'check" failsafe test, so you can be forewarned and know not to rely on it if the system is proves to be non-operational.
    It makes the noise when the speed reaches to 15km/h (around 10mph). It does it in reverse direction as well. Today I noticed that it has also started making the same noise at around 20mph. The noise happens only once until I park and wait for a few minutes and move the car again. The first one at 15kmh (10mph) is more stronger than the second one. It does not seem to be coming from ABS. It is more like something is hitting the tank.
    It's hard to say how loud, but it is noticeable, and it sounds like a "thunk". I am sure yours is fine.

The ABS system uses sensors to look at the wheel rotating. If it sees the wheel about to stop rotating while braking, then the ABS kicks in and it pumps the brakes extremely quickly to keep the wheel rotating, preventing locking the wheels and the corresponding loss of steering control. I am guessing that the system is checking its sensors when starting to move forward.

Seriously, all ABS systems operate like this - yours is fine. If you still have doubts (and time to kill), have the dealer check it.
  • ram12ram12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I exactly have the same problem, with my 2007 May Camry.. I have run piller to post, from one NJ dealer to the other, nothing works, still I have the same steering vibration problem, which I had been facing from Day1. At high speeds >70 MPH, on smooth roads, the steering starts vibrating, it is highly uncomfortable to drive..
    Did any one have any solution to it...
    Please help me
    Ram12
    Ram,

Vibrations which begin at 55mph +, are typically tires out of balance. But could also be to a lesser percentage of the time, tires with bad belts, rims out of balance/bent, and even sometimes bad/defective suspension parts.

If this was my vehicle, I'd take the tires and have them road-force balanced. It's a special balancing machine, that balances the tires while they are under load as if simulating carrying the weight of the vehicle, as opposed to just unloaded spin balancing. Do an internet search, and you should be able to find a shop near you.

road force balance
    If you want to verify that the ABS selftest is indeed the source of your noise, do the following (as I did after I first heard the noise two years ago),

Open the hood, have someone else start the car and start pulling out of the garage. You put your hand on the ABS pump and walk along as the car is moving. You'll undoubtedly feel the clunk when it does its' test. Keep feet out from under the wheels, and hand away from the moving belts and pulleys. Choose a driver who likes you, count your fingers when done.

Work for Toyota....hah...you obviously haven't done your homework.
  • ram12ram12 Member Posts: 2
    Kiawah,
    The last dealer, I went to, did the Road Force Balancing also, he detected wrong rotors, he changed them and still the problem exists...
    Do you suggest any Good Dealer to find the problem...
    The Car has run just 16000 miles...
    I think what you will need to do, is to isolate whether the problem is with your tires/wheels combo, or with the vehicle itself. I'd suggest having your dealer swap a complete different set of wheels/tires onto your car.....or put your wheels on another vehicle and then drive it.

If the vibration moves with the wheels/tire combo...you know the problem is in that combo. If the problem stays with the vehicle, then you know the problem is in your suspension and you'll undoubtedly need to get the Toyota regional rep involved.
    I searched this on the net and found the same complaints. They also mention it is ABS self checking noise and it is normal. I do not know how such a noise can be normal on a new car !! I had 2003 matrix XRS and never had that noise. My camry was not doing it in the first 6 months or so. Since it was not doing it before how can it be normal now !! Now, it's has started doing it twice (one at 15kmh and the second one at 30kmh). The second noise just started about a week ago. Both are very loud. Nothing is going right with this car. About a week ago, I started having rattles all over the places (dashboard & doors) that I did not have before. It is very irritating. I tought that it could have been because of weather condition, but it's been quite stable for the last two months. My camry has only 10,000km. I am not going to be surprised to see more troubles with this car.
    There's a TSB for dash rattles, do a little searching of these forums.
    Did not mean to offend by suggesting you work for Toyota...
    We can try the test you suggested, I'm not exactly sure where the abs is though. And I guess I'm still wondering why we didn't hear this sound in the beginning and why I never heard it in any of the Camry's I test drove? Or in any other car I've ever owned. It is becoming more frequent now also. I fully expect it to start happening with ever lower speed shift like some others are saying. Also the car randomly slips a gear at higher speeds. This just seems like the same old trans. problems I've been hearing about. I could go into more detail for you about what the car was doing over the winter too...apparently I have the only car that should never be washed in the winter time or it becomes undriveable.