Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Lug Bug Problem

billlauxbilllaux Member Posts: 4
I just purchased a 2006 Civic EX 4 dr sedan with automatic transmission. Just found this great forum. What, exactly, is the "lug bug" problem I'm seeing on some of the posts? Does it apply to my car?

Comments

• sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    Actually this problem has not been solved yet and I think the question is still valid. When you search this board (and others) you will find a lot of ideas but no solutions. My car has this problem but the dealer doesn't know how to fix it. Honda knows about it but again, doesn't have a solution.

I think this problem is widespread enough to have its own thread. Hopefully, if Honda sees enough complaints, they will do something about this problem.
  • bigmike91bigmike91 Member Posts: 18
    I think that this is an excellent topic, especially since I am considering purchasing a 2006 Civic. If there are "posters with knowledge" who don't want to answer questions that are asked here, then they don't have to; no one forces people to participate in this message board. Does this "lug bug" problem affect the performance of the car, or is it just annoying?
  • dimon12dimon12 Member Posts: 10
    I have had my EX Auto for over a week and 650 miles and couldn't find no such "bug". It may have been exorcised by Honda engineers :) ...
    Pat, I hope you will keep this topic open. I know it is mentioned in the "Problems and Solutions" thread, but it is not discussed in detail, and I would like to learn as much about this topic from 2006 Civic owners as possible. And by the way, Slowpedaler's comment about letting the host do the moderating is good advice.
  • vinnycvinnyc Member Posts: 22
    I am totally agree with you. Consider the number of owners are having this problem. I am still suffering from that noise every day. And I am still waiting for some good news from Honda. This is the only place I can check. Please keep this topic open.

vinny
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    I hope you are correct but from reading this and related forums this issue doesn't necessarily show up at the very beginning of ownership rather it occurs as the car begins to break in. Usually 2-3K miles when it starts to occur. Please let us know when you have 3-4K miles on the odo if you DON'T have the LUGBUG!! Thanks. :) :shades: :surprise:
  • davhandavhan Member Posts: 21
    Please excuse my complete ignorance of not knowing what the hell a "lugbug" problem is, or...like the person that started this off, how to find out about it from past posts.

But...what is it? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Go to Honda Civic 2006+ and use the Search This Discussion feature. I'd search for lug bug (two words) rather than lugbug although it certainly wouldn't hurt to try both. You'll learn all you need to know.
    I assume that this problem does not occur when the car is new; if the problem was noticed on the initial test drive, then I would imagine that people would not be purchasing the cars. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if this affects the performance of the car, or is it just very annoying.
    Sure, I will closely monitor the situation and will post if anything comes up. From engineering standpoint the only way for the problem to start happening at 2-3K miles would be premature engine mount deterioration, which would be very sad indeed...
    It seems extremely unlikely that there is a problem with the engine mounts on a car that is a few months old, but I guess nothing is impossible. One theory that I have read on other forums is that this is a computer chip problem.
  • leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    Sure, I will closely monitor the situation and will post if anything comes up. From engineering standpoint the only way for the problem to start happening at 2-3K miles would be premature engine mount deterioration, which would be very sad indeed..."

Sad...but under warranty!
    I doubt it's a computer chip problem, since solid state device logic can't get changed by itself unless re-flashed. Another possibility may be that Honda uses some fancy liquid-filled or electronically controlled active mounts which give the new Civic it's amazing engine smoothness (smoother at idle than my 96 Camry V6) when they work, but their relative complexity (comparing to good old rubber bushings) may predispose them to failure at any time. Yet another theory may be that something wasn't screwed together properly, so it gets progressively looser with time and at some point gets so loose that it starts to resonate because it's natural frequency happens to coincide with engine vibration frequency at 1400-1500 RPM.
    Anyway, I hope that my car will be spared from this evil "Lug Bug" :) On the other note it still escapes me how Honda managed to make R18 engine so refined and smooth without employing counter-rotating balance shafts - heck, it's even smoother than Accord K24 with balance shafts...
    Just out of curiosity: are there any owners of 2006 automatic transmission Civics reading this who are NOT having this problem? I know Dimon12 is not, but his car has very few miles on it.
  • sms92sms92 Member Posts: 13
    Related to BigMike's question, is the "lugbug" occuring in most civics, some civics, a minority of civics?

I did go back to the other threads and search lug bug but I could not get a sense of the risk of purchasing a civic right now OR the response from honda in correcting the problem . . .
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    There are two problems that are separate. The lug bug occurs at about 1,500 RPM. To me it sounds like the transmission is in too high a gear. You can get the same sound by not downshifting a manual when you should. Seems like Honda just doesn't have the shift points fully worked out but there could be a fix down the road.

The other, is an idle vibration. This occurs at about 600-800 RPM when the car is in drive but at a full stop - much worse in cold weather. This is a separate issue and probably has a separate cause. Most people have the lug bug but only a lucky few, such as me have the idle vibration. No idea what's causing this one. Doesn't concern me that much although I may invest in the extended warranty to cover myself.

Marc
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    Mcap brings up a point that just occurred to me today. You automatic owners are describing a "lugging" sound at 1500 rpm. I drive a manual Coupe and can't imagine driving the thing around at that engine speed. I rev it to at least 2000 on even my gentlest accelerations. There's just no power below that. It's a Honda, after all. The company has a long history of burying the power and torque in the upper reaches of the rev-band. Their motorcycles are known for this, too. It sounds to me like the automatic is trying to do a job the motor's not built for.
  • crashbsdcrashbsd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Civic EX sedan, AT with Navi, and I have not experienced this "Lug-Bug" problem at all. I personally am a car fanatic, and am very anal to how my car drives. At almost 16,000 miles, I have to say that this car runs perfectly! I do drive my car kind of hard though, so maybe that is the fix. Possibly by driving the car to higher RPMs (when the AT is about to shift, take your foot of the gas pedal for a brief sec), this might just clean out your fuel injectors. Of course this is just a theory. So please dont drive your civic beyond the redline. :)
  • mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    I am unlucky enough to have both. The lug bug could be solved by driving in higher RPMs. That does nothing for the idle vibration though. I think both of these issues are worth looking into but I don't think they will affect the car long term. Don't overreact. For now, it is largely a cosmetic issue. We dont' know if it will affect the engine. And, if enough people complain about it, Honda may issue a fix.

Marc
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    I'm curious about something. I was able to create the noise/vibration y'all are talking about with my manual Civic at 1500 rpm. It was obviously lugging the motor and needed a downshift. Is this happening in every gear on the aotomatics, or just at low speed in 5th/OD. Does the Civic Auto have an OD button so you can turn it off around town? My automatic Boxster used to cruise in 5th all the time, but it had the torque to pull it off. My Civic definately needs downshifts to keep from lugging.

The idle vibration is a different matter. Your dealer needs to fix that.
  • doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    Woooow! I just hit 5,000 plus mile on my honda Civic Automatic 2006 sedan. I seem to notice NO problems with "Lug Bug". I can't barely hear my engine running at idle in the morning before work. After noon and evening, I can't even hear it at all. My opinion, it might happen to very minor Honda Civic. I might be a lucky or fortunate individual that don't have any problems yet. :P
    Good for you. Keep us posted!!! Is you VIN 1,2, Or J??? :surprise: :)
    One area I don't now. What "VIN 1,2, Or J???" where you find it? Since last chat. I hit 7,000 plus mile now. Have my free oil change at the dealership. Currently try to install blue neon light beneath my driver and passenger foot areas. Any one have a ideas or clue where 12v would locate in the dashboard? I don't want to used headlight. The only option left in where the fuse box. I need to purchase the harness for it.
    :P :shades:
    Does your Vehicle Identification Number begin with a 1,2,or J. 1.= made in the USA. 2.= Made in Canada, and J=Japan. Your VIN should be visible through the bottom of the front windshield driver's side where the glass meets the body of the car. Canada made cars seem to have the most problems at the moment. USA made cars also having lots of problems and I think Honda has quit importing Civics from Japan. Hope you car serves you well, keep us informed on how it does. :D;) :shades:
    Got me so curious. I went out and look at it. It number 1= made in the USA. :P So far no problems, Look where I park in the garage, It like this every day.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Never worry getting bumper to bumper, dents from other door etc.... :P
  • jesseycyjesseycy Member Posts: 1
    Hi all!

I've actually noticed the threads quite a bit, as I have the same noise for ">my civic too... (New Zealand/Japan version, 1.8S).. Talked to Honda Direct (doesn't work on a dealership basis here), very good service, they send a tech out to ride with me, noted the noise....

Few days later, they confirmed that even for their own Civics, it was making the same noise, so it's a "model-wide" thing over here I guess.... They assured me it should cause no problem though, so I guess maybe I'll just live with it and try not to hover around the 1500rpm mark....

Till hopefully they find some sort of magic solution!

That's the type btw...
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    To all who have this problem and still monitor this thread I have found a Honda service bulletin #06-059 that seems to address the problem. It is titled "Buzzing from the engine at low rpm" I know...doesn't sound like it comes from the engine but the symptom is listed as "a buzzing (vibration? my interpretation inserted here) from the engine under light throttle (1300-1700 rpm)or at idle while in gear". The S.B. lists the vin's of affected cars and there are a lot if the serial number is the sequential build number. It also lists the faulty part number the part number of the new part etc. The actual service bulletin is quite lengthy but esentially Honda seems to believe it is the belt tensioner....Probable cause: "the drive belt layout allows drive belt tensioner noise to be heard in the passenger compartment". The fix is a longer re-routed drive belt. Ask you dealer for more details..Hope this is THE FIX
    Thanks targettuning for the infmation.
    I took mine in yesterday. They fixed for me without any questions. I have test my car while I was driving it to work this morning. The noise and the vibration seems to be reduced a lot. It definitely worth to get this fix done!
  • kwk1kwk1 Member Posts: 39
    Just a quick question.
    Is the "lugbug" problem only with the automatic transmissions?

Thanks.
  • rupnok1rupnok1 Member Posts: 29
    I expect you could get a manual to do it if you short shifted it so it ran under load ~1500rpm.
    Try using 4th gear at 1400rpm and see it starts giving you some vibration and noise. It should happen to manual transmission too. But you have the control by shifting gear to 3rd gear that will make the noise disppear, not like the auto transmission.
    I have had the service bulletin "kit" that addresses "lug bug" installed and I believe it is either totally gone or reduced to the point where I cannot hear it. So, to those who have it ask for service bulletin 06-059. My dealer didn't even question the need for it(the installation of the kit) on my car, I made the appointment over the phone.
    Someone asked whether automatics only were affected, nope, since it is a matter of the serpentine drive belt and belt tensioner I imagine manual transmissions are also subject. Now if only I can get rid of the "glove box" noise.
    For those who were recently directed here in search for the definition of the term "lug-bug" I read through the whole thread and find no real explaination so I'll try to identify it. Many owners of 2006 Civics, including me, started noticing a low pitched harmonic vibration type noise in our cars at around 1400-1500 RPM in 4th or 5th gear which translated to about 45 MPH (in automatic transmission cars but manuals aren't immune). Someone here dubbed it the lug bug (and the name stuck) since it occurred at a fairly low RPM in a higher gear (known as lugging with a manual transmission) This noise varied in intensity from just audible if you were listening to "can't miss it". It was thought to come from some underbody (chassis/exhaust system/heat shield) bracket, mounting point or component vibrating in sympathetic harmony at that specific RPM because it absolutely sounded like it came from under the car. However as owners began to take their cars back to their dealers in search of the source nothing was found to be loose or missing so it became a mystery. Cars with different build dates (mine is early..Oct. 2005 but some as late as June 2006) were all affected. It should be noted that almost no body thought it was dangerous only annoying in a new car...a Honda at that. A Honda service bulletin (#06-059)was finally issued that seems, in my case, to have corrected the problem. The problem was NOT under the car as everyone thought but instead under the hood and a new longer serpentine belt plus re-routing of that belt is needed. I would guess recently built cars (since the problem and its fix was identified) no longer suffer from this problem. So, although there is another mysterious noise with a "pet" name..the so-called "glove-box" noise... around haunting 2006 owners the "lug bug" may be cured. The cause and fix for the "glove-box" noise is still a mystery although some think it is a motor mount and Honda is about to issue a service bulletin for that.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I read through the whole thread and find no real explaination so I'll try to identify it.

Thanks very much!! :)
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Don't seem to hear any noise in my LX. It's an early June '06 built car. Guess I don't have it...I hope...!

The Sandman :)
    How many miles do you have on your civic? This problem with the lug-bug usually wasn't noticed until it had 5000 or so miles on the speedo. Did you car have the other issues such as: leaking structs and oil leaks from improper bolts in the engine? Other issues besides the "glovebox rattle" issue? How many MPGs are you getting and is your civic auto or 5-speed? I'm waiting for Honda to get these problems worked out before I make a purchase!! :D
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    With 3500 miles so far, all seems well. Mileage is about 33 city with maybe 37 highway. Still have 50% oil life left, figure by the 2nd week of January it'll be ready for it's 1st dino change. The rolling sound I heard was a tweeter which came loose actually. Mine is an auto tranny and so far, I love it!

The Sandman :)
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    To see a copy of TSB #06-059, click here.
  • adluadlu Member Posts: 4
    I noticed the idle vibration a few weeks after buying my 2007 LX, and I recently found this thread and the Service Bulletin. When I brought my car in, they couldn't reproduce the vibration and said that the TSB can't be applied to 2007 models, so they sent me home with empty hands.

Have any other 2007 owners had similar lug bug or idle vibration problems?

Thanks.
    I've posted my thoughts on this comment as stated by your dealer "well, you have a 2007 not a 2006 model so we can't fix it" on the 2006 Civic issue forum.
  • kero1kero1 Member Posts: 154
    My car now has 7000+ miles and this problem has crept up. It's very annoying to be honest as I can hear mine clear as day when trudging along around 40MPH and the RPM's are near 1400-1600 RPM.

My wife even asks me what the hell is that droning sound?

Since my car is chock full o problems, honda car is involved and when I bring it in, I will mention the TSB as well.
    Welcome to the club. This is my first and last Honda!
    I was thinking of getting a FIT for my wife. But after this Honda Civic experience. No more Honda in my life!!!
    Anyone with this issue had the TSB done on their car??? Did a new serpentine belt solve the problem??? Are you'll still having issues with struts, oil leaks etc??? Did Honda fix the a/c issues??? Any comments anyone???
    I had the service bulletin applied for the lug-bug problem and it seems to have fixed or greatly reduced (to the point I no longer easily hear it)the noise. I imagine the strut and oil leak problems will still be turning up on 2006 cars but 2007's may have had the benefit of THE FIX before being built. That is the reason I won't buy a first year car any longer. In spite of this being a Honda problems still turn up on new designs but there were more than I expected. The AC is "what it is" and I believe it isn't a "problem" than can be fixed but the way it is designed to operate. I personally won't buy another Honda because of these problems and I have experienced all (leaking rear shocks..both sides, lug-bug, and one other, the so-called "glove box" noise) except the oil and power steering pump leaks. Additionally the cloth upholstry on the driver side seat bolster is prematurely wearing (the car only has 6500 miles) and the pattern in the fabric is disappearing due to entry/egress of the driver, plus the plastic on the door panels, the waffle pattern near the armrest, scratches very, very easily and mine is scratched badly from my wifes fingernails (long) while grabbing at the door pull within the armrest to close the door. You want comments..I am exceedingly unhappy with the quality of this our first Honda product and can't wait to go back to Hyundai, yes Hyundai, ASAP.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm considering the Hyundai but the Elantra SE and LTD are not available yet. I've been waiting for about a month but there doesn't seem to be any at the dealerships in my area to test drive. 06 Elantras are still around but not 07s. The Hondas that I test drove were a clear disappointment to me. Lots of road and wind noise, always pulling to the right, and a clear droning noise that would be very irritating. Hondas are way overpriced and the quality is nowhere near what they use to be. And these boards add proof that I'm not the only one disappointed with Honda. :shades:
  • smnasonsmnason Member Posts: 10
    I just got an 07 LX as well, but I have not experienced what is called the lug bug. I do have one question though: have you experienced any unusual shaking around 80mph? It's the strangest thing. At 79mph, the car drives really smoothly, but once I reach 80mph, either the engine or the wheels begin to shake. Have you experienced this?
  • billlauxbilllaux Member Posts: 4
    Took my 2006 Honda Civic 4 dr. EX in for the Service Bulletin fix. Also mentioned the glovebox rattle. They kept the car all day and them when I wsent to pick it up they said they couldn't duplicate either problem and so didn't do anything to it. Is it true that they don't have to incorporate the bulletin if they can't hear the "buzzing" in the engine? I drove out and the glovebox is rattling like hell. Maybe the mechanic was hearing impaired...
    If your car fall within the serial number range listed in that particular service bulletin (for the "lug-bug" issue) I don't think they (the service people) really need to hear the noise. All you have to do is say YOU do and since your car is one of those affected YOU want it fixed. I would agree...the service advisor rides in or drives the car for 5 minutes and makes a declaration that "I don't hear anything" and that is that EXCEPT when specific serial numbers are listed You then have the power to demand a fix as authorized by Honda. All bets are off however if your serial number does not fall within the listed range. The power to fix or not to fix then goes back to the service manager.
  • nollaignollaig Member Posts: 6
    Problem fixed!! I bought my Civic Coupe in Nov of '06 and discovered the problem within 2 weeks. After repeated visits to the dealer and conversations with American Honda I was told that there was no fix. After 26,000 aggravating miles I was made aware of the TSB by a poster on another board. I promptly informed my dealer who was more than willing to perform the belt swap. Lo and behold, problem fixed. What really ticks me off is that I was assured by American Honda that I would be notified as soon as the problem was identified. Hooray for the internet - shame on American Honda!!!!! Not only that but I also had the leaking engine plug and faulty SRS sensor. And now they have ordered a windshield cowl as the original was assembled incorrectly and cannot be repaired. First year model? Sure... but then should we not expect more from such an estimable car manufacturer.
  • newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    This service bulletin definitely fixes the problem. I just had the fix installed last week. My dealer did not need to hear the noise in order to incorporate the bulletin. Go back and insist that they fix your car, assuming your civic falls in the serial number range. Make sure, however, that they order the new belt when you make your appointment. (I had to make a second appointment,since they didn't realize that belt was a non-standard part)
    I've been waiting for this bulletin for a year on my 2006 LX. This service bulletin does not resolve the growling noise at idle in very cold weather. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon. Thanks God for the internet. Good luck!